Review of RawSpiceBar

San Mateo, CA 94401, US
contact@rawspicebar.com

kristinag48
12/19/18

Love using spices in my cooking. I like how I can try recipes from around the world, without buying a large amount of a spice that I'll only use once. Their concept is great, making a perfect gift for any occasion!

sallyt62
12/18/18

If your lucky enough to get these spices for Christmas you will never have a finer spices.makes my cooking thump up.

lindac738
12/13/18

May two orders have been a real mess from the very start. Thankfully I did not order a subscription service, just individual containers. I double checked my credit card to make sure that there was no duplicate billing as mentioned in other reviews. There was not. I have had two replacement order both be incorrect (the original order had things I did not order and was missing things that I did order). There is never a shipping update posted back to the original shipping manifest, so it's impossible to track your order.

I really question getting food based products that are not sealed in any way, shape or form. Not only did they spill during shipment, unsealed containers could be exposed to any number of unsafe things. I finally wrote an email to the President/Founder and got absolutely no response. Also, the fact that there is no phone number to contact them is dodgy at best. Here's the email:

Hello Rebecca---
I come to you today as a very, very frustrated first time customer. This experience has been nothing but mistake after mistake. As a 35 year Customer Service Lead for a global, multi-billion company, I consider myself knowledgeable in how to delight a customer. Raw Spice Bar has failed me at every turn. I hope you will allow me to provide feedback on how you can make your company better. It appears as if you have grown quite quickly and that can impart its own set of challenges. You must be prepared to overcome them or your competition will devour you (not to mention the ever present threat of negative online reviews).Here's my story: A number of weeks ago I place my first order for 12 tins of spices. These were meant as a gift for a very specific delivery date, which is why I ordered early. After a delay due to "running of out tins", my order finally shipped. I received the order with no visible damage to the outside packaging, however two of the tins had opened during transit and I had a mish-mash of mixed spices in the bottom of the shipping container. Also, the shipment contained 11 tins of spices and no shipping manifest or explanation of where the 12th tin was. I contacted customer service via e-mail because there is not phone number on your website (which feels a little dodgy). I explained that my spices were spilled in transit and offered to provide pictures. I also noted that I was missing the 12th container (Golden Milk). I was notified that the replacement order would ship "soon" and it would contain Tellicherry Peppercorns, Panch Phoran and the missing Golden Milk. What I finally received was Tellicherry Peppercorns and Furikake (and no Golden Milk or Panch Phoran). For some reason I was inclined to place a second order (RSB45372) -- also as a gift with a very specific delivery date. Again, I was told my delivery would be delayed because of "running out of tins". Now it
seems pretty likely that my gift will contain an I.O.U., which is simply embarrassing. So......here is my advice. (1) Get a supplier that can meet your demand. If you
have to get a back-up supplier for those times when your demand spikes (like the holiday gift giving season) then do it. (2) Your Buyer/Procurement team need to do a better job at forecasting. When you have a singular product offering you simply cannot fall down. It's like the Gap saying "Sorry, we ran out of clothes". You cannot allow your business to screech to a halt. (3) Seal your containers. It could be as simple as a sticker on either side of the tin or as advanced as running them through a tape sealer. Having your tins spill during transit is frustrating for your customers and expensive for your company. Even if your margins are high, shipping free replacement orders is expensive. (4) Surprise and delight your customers. When you mess up an order from beginning to end - like you did mine - make amends. Send me the correct stuff. Include a sample of something I didn't buy just to show you care. Telling me twice in a two week span
that you've run out of tins is simply unacceptable and should be embarrassing. In
conclusion, I just want my two orders to be on time and complete. I'm still missing the tin of Golden Milk and am simply hoping that the entire second order makes it here in time for gift giving. I also hope it's not a giant mess of spilled spices at the bottom of a shipping box.

I will never order from RawSpiceBar again, and would certainly never, ever recommend them to anyone (which is too bad, because the business model is very good).

Tip for consumers: Don't bother. The hassle is NOT worth it.

megsb
11/27/18

Multiple months of a gifted 1-yr, monthly subscription never showed. Customer service was slow & unsympathetic, and obviously failing to correct the issue. I finally received a pro-rated cancellation credit for my gift-giver (who was mortified at my experience upon trying to do such a sweet thing for me). I left an honest review on their website which is - of course - not there (both weeks & months after having left the review, it's nowhere to be found). You'll only see 4 & 5-star reviews on their site. Totally a lie! I really love the concept & even the product in this subscription (though the recipes are often filled with errors), but never receiving the product & then battling cold, miserly customer service... This company just doesn't work. Do NOT give this to someone as a gift! It will just be a thorn in their side!

megane39
9/26/18

I can't believe the setup of this business. How did I get charged twice after unsubscribing? To be fair they replied very quickly to my outrage.

karelleg
9/12/18

Their spices bring you to different parts of the world! It inspires me to cook more! Perfect as gifts for holidays!

queens13
9/12/18

Amazing variety, excellent website, excellent shipping. Quick turnaround on orders and lots of good recipes.

robjuna
9/12/18

The product is outstanding! I have had great success in combining many of the different spices and herbs together to come up with some phenomenal flavor profiles!!! I'm seriously starting to treat these beautiful little packets, like gold!!!!
Raw Spice Bar sends quality spice blends from a variety of different cuisines at an affordable price! Also, their customer service is excellent,replies quickly and very friend and helpful!

roseg77
9/12/18

Quality of spices is superior to other outlets out there. Impressed with packaging, shipping speed, and customer service (responded quickly to emails and sent emails with questions. I can't get family members to respond as quickly as they did). Great company, great products, and a great group of people working together to make it all happen.

renanter
9/12/18

I got this as a gift for my mother, who loves to cook, and she has had so much fun trying all the wonderful spices you've been sending her.

elizas4
9/11/18
• Updated review

Have been a fan of RawSpiceBar since 2015 and this is still my go to gift for friends and family. Love the spices and the subscription.

“Awesome concept, high quality spice blends and great...”
9/11/18
• Previous review

Awesome concept, high quality spice blends and great customer service! Got this as a gift for a friend and they loved the spices they received and the accompanying recipes. Great value for the price as well.

annat150
8/27/18

Having so much fun with these seasonal spices and a great way to switch up my cooking routine. Will definitely be gifting these for friends for the holidays.

jeffr1365
2/22/18

all the bad reviews are not a lie. I ordered a 3 month subscription and they started charging me for multiple 3 month subscription plans. I also specified for the first box to be shipped for xmas, they shipped it immediately instead ruining the surprise.

Also, THEY DONT EVEN HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER OR EMAIL. you can only contact them via a web form

STAY AWAY!

kitt206
2/8/18

Spice kits have left me feeling pretty meh, taste-wise.
Often the instructions leave out ingredients in the list, but get mentioned somewhere in the preparation instructions. (This has happened to me multiple times)
Unable to log into my account now to cancel and email responses for help have yet to arrive.

ericm217
1/23/18

Similar to many of the reviews here, giving this as a gift is an absolute disaster. There is no reason the recipient of the gift should have to supply a credit card, and when they did, they were immediately billed for it. Customer service has been non-responsive to get it resolved.

karenw269
1/9/18

I gave a subscription as a gift to my son in law, and he was required to provide his credit card to redeem the gift voucher. Then these sleazy people charged his card for the same amount I had already paid them!!! Embarrassing for me, a hassle for him to get a refund. If I could give them zero stars I would. Thankfully they refunded my money quickly when I complained to PayPal. Here's the letter I wrote them when they asked what the problem was. (Apparently they didn't read my complaint to PayPal.

Begin my complaint letter -------
The problem was as I outlined in my note to you below, sent via the PayPal complaint center.

My recipient began to redeem his voucher and was required to submit his credit card as part of the redemption process.
Your company immediately charged HIS credit card after I had already paid in advance for the gift via PayPal (which you have just refunded.) Your company didn't just hold his card information "on file" - they CHARGED it.

I saw nothing in the language of the gift purchase that said this would happen, or I would NOT have purchased from your company in the first place.

How embarrassing it was for me to give someone a gift and have them be charged in the process of trying to redeem it. Now I have to waste my time looking around for another gift.
If I had looked at your reviews before purchasing, I would have noted that this is apparently not an uncommon problem.

Why don't you do as they do with gift magazine subscriptions at the end of the gift period, send the recipient an inquiry asking if they have been satisfied with the product and if they'd like to continue the club relationship, and THEN ask for their credit card if they opt in? That's an honest way of doing business.

Or is your company just too anxiously greedy to do that? As a result you have lost a customer and generated bad will in the community - I call that a really ignorant business model.

The gift recipient is an active member of the foodie community with lots of friends, coworkers and associates through social media who like to eat and cook interesting things. If he had a good experience he would have probably told a lot of people about Raw Spice Bar. Instead he will likely share a negative experience.

As well as being angry with the business practice I'm also really disappointed as he was quite excited about this unique gift. Now it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

I hope my explanation is helpful to you in customer service. Please forward it your marketing department. --- end my letter to RawSpiceBar

Tip for consumers: Don't use this company

halc25
12/26/17

Do not give this as a gift. The recipient will need to provide a credit card and then they will be billed once the gift runs out. Although claimed, there is no way to cancel the subscription on the website. The website is simply designed to get you to mistakenly buy more subscriptions. STAY AWAY

laram33
12/14/17

I got the yearly subscription as a gift for my mother in law along with the $26 spices to give to her. After reading horrible reviews, I decided to cancel the order. There is no phone number to call so you need to communicate by email. They get back to at their convenience. They finally got back to me about cancelling the order but told me I couldn't cancel the spices since they were already shipped out. At this point I saw nothing about the spices being shipped so I told they them that and to refund my money for the spices as well. I never got a response but the next day I did receive an email that my order was shipped. This place is a scam! Any place you cannot reach anyone by phone should definitely be a red flag!

lorih86
12/2/17

You sign up and are told your subscription will automatically "rollover" but you can cancel that any time by logging into Manage My Subscription" but of course there is no box, category or electronic avenue to cancel your "rollover" so they just keep charging you. I had to report them to my bank for fraud to prevent this rip off from continuing to charge my credit card, DON'T SIGN UP!!! SCAM SCAM SCAM. Lori H. Seattle, WA

donr88
11/8/17

It's interesting reading the reviews. The negative reviews are all about the customer service - and I agree. i've subscribed for over a year, and they just don't communicate. Sent questions and got a short email back with no help. The spices are good, the recipes were mostly bad.

It's also interesting that the bad reviews were written by people who obviously had experienced the service. Lots of specifics. The good ones were general enough that, change a word, they could be about a Toyota. Seem to be employees, but i can't blame them for trying.

susand209
10/11/17

I'd give them a zero if available. I purchased 3 gift subscriptions. All 3 git receivers have provided the same disappointing feedback. Lots of salt received. Some months the recipe cards don't even match the spices sent. Spices are not received every month as committed. No cohesiveness to spices and regions. Poor packaging.
In addition to the above negative feedback from the 3 gift receivers, I had a very poor experience even trying to place the gift orders. It took more than 30 emails to get the billing correct and RawSpiceBar refuses to use telephone.
I would never recommend this company!

laurak134
9/29/17

I signed up the other month and was excited to try new spices but so far Ive only received one package. The others never showed up despite them claiming they have resent them. Im starting to think this company is a scam. They must have sent out spices like 6 times already and nothing ever shows up and I never get any tracking information. Dont waste your time!

lauras204
8/29/17

I subscribed two years ago and ended up canceling a few months later the only way I could: by blocking my card. Before canceling, the few orders I received at all were 4-6 weeks late. I was asked to change my payment option twice, and the subscription fee was increased each time, without warning. I was also double charged. When I contacted customer 'service' about these issues, it was radio silence for two solid weeks. Then a perfunctory promise all would be fixed. Two weeks and several more inquiries from me after that, still nothing. I blocked my card since there was no option to cancel, and weeks later received double the spices from a few months previous as 'recompense'. Now, two years later, I received an email asking why I canceled. I kept my answer brief: the only company that has treated me worse was one that actually defrauded me. The response was that made them laugh, and could they send more spices to make it better. Well, I'm glad that knowing another company stole my money and information so that I had to close my bank account and open a new one was so amusing, because I just had to share my experience with everyone here.

ericah35
7/17/17

I signed up through groupon and never received the product. Now I am being charged every month for spices that I do not get. I have talked to the company and they said they would refund me, which they did the first time but I still get charged every month. I had to block them through my credit card to get them to stop.

lindac285
7/9/17

The price of the spice which I purchased from Rawspicebar was very different from local market prices. Not only the prices is reliable the quality of the spices were grear. I will definitely come back for another purchase!!

Questions? Get answers from the RawSpiceBar staff and other customers.

6 Photos for RawSpiceBar