Pubby

Ratings On Other Platforms

Trustpilot
3.1 / 5

Pubby has a consumer rating of 3.74 stars from 84 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Pubby most frequently mention customer service and great way. Pubby ranks 8th among Product Reviews sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 72.5%
How would you rate Pubby?

“Great Customer Service”

Giuseppe S.
9/8/21

I appreciate how Pubby has an online chat that answers any questions that may arise. Even more, I enjoy being able to receive reviews that can be difficult to all authors. I wholeheartedly recommend Pubby because it gives my writing good exposure to the reading public. I am a fiction author who enjoys comedic scenarios related to my daily life. I enjoy hiking, travelling and cooking some of the most amazing dishes from around the world.

“Charged me twice monthly….”

Hanh M.
11/11/21

In my hectic life as a new mom, I did not notice they charged me twice monthly for my subscription. When I contacted them about it, they didn't offer any resolution except to cancel one of the payments. I asked for a refund—or at the very least credit to my account— but was refused by Mary, who stated she can only cancel the previous month's payment. Beware of this company and check your accounts. Sadly, I would have been a customer for many years.

giuseppes44

Very useful!

hanhm2
November 11th, 2021

patj164
August 20th, 2021

Pubby is a site where you can get reviews from other authors. It's kind of an exchange, but not really. It just allows you to find people who can actually give your book the time of day; because they want the exact same. And it's enforced quite nicely, so it all works as intended, without having to rely on the goodwill of people (highly unreliable). Me like.

valerieh475
September 3rd, 2021

I am so glad I found Pubby! As a self-published author, it's so hard to get reviews - but Pubby has changed all that. Thanks to them, I now have a respectable number of 4 and 5 star reviews for my latest book, written by people who've actually read it, and authenticated by Amazon. Honestly, I cannot recommend them highly enough to any struggling author out there. Don't hesitate to give them a try.

pedrom243
August 24th, 2021

Pubby has really helped me a lot, especially in this pandemic period where everything seemed impossible - let alone being able to find feedback from readers, less and less inclined to release their thoughts.
It 'a service, that of Pubby, which should be replicated in many to make the life of us writers, easier. Exceptional experience that I share...

lukasc28
September 10th, 2021

I am not an established author and maybe it is different if I was but from my angle this website has been a blessing to be able to get my book reviewed so it can gain more recognition on Amazon. Also just like any business I use the negative feedback to my benefit. Verified authors sharing reviews is a great business plan in my opinion and the price is worth it.

oising6
September 5th, 2021

Great site for book reviews, I got my first review within a few days of joining, more to follow... I'll be staying with Pubby for the future as it allows me to work on getting the social verification to boost my book sales. Pubby are quick to answer any queries that I've had to date and have been very helpful when I've hit a roadblock. I would highly recommend Pubby for anyone publishing their first books to get reviews.

tangeliat
September 5th, 2021
Verified purchase

Not only does Pubby give you a chance to get your book into the hands of people who may otherwise not read your book, but it gives you a chance to have other authors read your work and critique it. It creates a chance for you to improve your craft, while also feeling good about helping others. Yes, you too will get a chance to read some great books and help other authors to do the same thing, by growing their craft through critiques. Awesome platform! I love it!

Tip for consumers:
If you aren't a reader, then don't sign up, but if you are great! Make sure that you are reading the books and giving honest feedback.

ericm1403
September 8th, 2021

I am quite satisfied with the review service Pubby. Although I went in with some trepidation I found that it's a reputable service with adequate customer support. Every time there was a discrepancy concerning "snaps" as in how many were dealt out and how many were supposed to be dealt out the disagreement was always fairly and quickly resolved. Being a writer like most writers I am beholden to getting my books reviewed and Pubby was instrumental in facilitating those reviews.

Tip for consumers:
I found this site to be forthright and above-board in ensuring honest and helpful reviews for potential customers of Pubby.

dantex1
September 1st, 2021

Terrible experience, $240 per year and then you have to spend more money buying or earning Snaps to get ONE review on your own book...! And then in my own case, PUBBY even approved a ONE star review from one of their reviewers (After giving them a free copy of the book) which was totally unfair as I already had a confirmed purchase 4 star review, am a well established author with over 130 plus books on Amazon... and they expect authors to subscribe! Unbelievable.

As a successful author with over 130 books on Amazon, keep clear of Pubby

evas267
August 28th, 2021
Verified purchase

Oh, so many good intentions. Unfortunately you can't pave your way to a good rating on Amazon with them! Without Pubby, I've read the grim statistics and experienced them for myself: out of 100 people who swear up and down that they will, they will, they REALLY REALLY WILL review your book... maybe two of them do.
Who's got the time to track them all and make sure they follow through? If you value your time and would prefer to spend it writing, researching or doing other kinds of marketing then Pubby is well worth the price. Its users know what they're there to do, and they do it— either you Pubby or you herd cats. Nuff said.

Tip for consumers:
the lifetime "power ups" are worth it in my opinion. It's good to know your book will be reviewed by those who like the genre, it's good for those who reviewed one of your books to see the others, etc.

vd53
September 3rd, 2021

Pubby is a wonderful resource for authors to pump up their review count. I would have a tiny fraction of the number of reviews if I didn't use this service. I highly recommend it! My only gripe is that it's obvious many people don't actually read my novel. Some skim, some read part of it, some read nothing at all - they simply copy from your book's info page on Pubby and give you 4 or 5 stars. So, although Pubby is a great source for reviews from total strangers, it's not particularly helpful or "true" feedback. Reviews are for the readers anyway, I suppose, but it would be nice to have more people actually read the work. Overall, I recommend Pubby's services though! It's not their fault other authors on there don't actually read!

Tip for consumers:
It would be nice if more people using Pubby would actually read the books they review.

jenniferqs
September 2nd, 2021

Pubby offers a great start for gaining reviews and bringing new work to market. Will it magically sell your book for you? No. You'll still have to put the hard work into selling your books. But Pubby will give you feedback from your peers, which are usually do much more insightful than typical reviewers. Their customer service is top notch too!

denisc122
May 14th, 2021

Customer service (particularly by Mary) is embarrassingly bad. There is no FAQ on the site so you're forced to use the chat. Admittedly, she did respond quickly but with a snarky tone to a simple question.

It's also designed for only US citizens. She stated that you can simply "create an account, make a purchase, and leave a review". Amateur hour - it's not that simple.

Just. Stay. Away.

marybethc40
August 24th, 2021

Pubby has been a great resource for me when launching new books or trying to revive an old one. As a self-published author, the first 15 reviews are critical to launching a book. Lets face it, no reviews = no sales. The key to getting reviews is to help other authors get theirs. It's a win win situation. I send up for a year subscriptions after the free trial showed me it was worth the money. I run wellness website and publish short self help books.

kathys1568
September 11th, 2021

Pubby has been an invaluable source in helping with my book sales. I'm new to self publishing and it's challenging to get verified reviews on Amazon. This has been amazing at getting fantastic feedback from readers.

crissym13
September 13th, 2021

This has been a useful service to gather reviews for my book. It takes a little bit of work to do reviews and get reviews, but it's been worth it. I've used it as an opportunity to read some books I probably never would have read otherwise. I've also received many solid reviews from others. I'll be using their feedback to improve my books in the future.

Customer service has been quick to respond the few times I needed assistance.

I think this is a particularly useful service for children's books.

clivew29
September 10th, 2021

This is a great service to help launch new books, especially if you dont have a reliable advanced reader group. Get reviews on your book quickly in the first week by using saved credits (or snaps) before expanding your marketing and advertising. This will give consumers some confidence in the quality of the product / book. Of course you have no control over the reviews so if your book is of poor quality then likely you will still get bad reviews (deservedly). There are not many ways that you can get guaranteed reviews that dont break Amazon's T&Cs - this is one of them. You tend to get a faster turn around than traditional ARCs. The one downside is that some users of the service go to far and get themselves banned from Amazon reviews - this can lead to all their reviews being removed by amazon. This can be frustrating for you when the number of reviews goes down. (Dont read too many books to fast in too many different niches and you should be ok). If you ask then Pubby will normally replace your snaps if this happens.

seanv73
August 26th, 2021
Verified purchase

Pubby works pretty simply: you review other authors and they review you. It gives you options for offering free of purchase reviews, Kindle Unlimited, or Verified Purchased reviews. All the reviews are on Amazon (not on Goodreads or any other site). It might seem like paying for reviews, but I think it skirts around the issue by using a token system they call "snaps". Essentially you can't "offer" your book for review in their marketplace unless you have enough snaps. The only way to get snaps is to read and review other people's books through the site. So all in all it's really a "authors helping authors" situation. They have a "reader's" program, but my gut feeling is there are less pure readers and most of the users are also other authors. It does cost like $20 a month to access the service, but it's well worth it! If you organize yourself, you can get A LOT of reviews (about 3-4 a week), which is the whole point.

The reason you're using Pubby is because Amazon reviews are real currency for your book. Not just ratings but reviews. This is super important, especially when your book is new. Pubby really get's your review count higher and higher. There are a few things to keep in mind:

1) The quality of the reviews is not good. Most people who are reviewing do not read your book. Don't expect them to do so. Again, this is mostly authors helping authors, and they don't have time to read the book.
2) Make sure the information you post is informative and has some key buzz words. Reviewers will use these words in their review.
3) Don't use Pubby until you have ten reviews yourself (friends and family). This is because Pubby reviewers are a waterfall: they build upon each other. If you have a bunch of 3 star reviews, then a Pubby review will come in with a 3 star review even though they didn't' read the book. Because they want to be "fair" and base it off of what others have done. So if you have like 10 4-5 star reviews already on there, you're more likely going to get that same ranking form Pubby reviews.
4) This is a quantity play, not a quality play. Make sure your expectations are appropriate.

All in all Pubby is an awesome site for getting reviews on Amazon. Super easy to use, very intuitive. If you organize yourself and set your expectations correctly it'll be worth it!

wess81
February 3rd, 2021

Almost every review I received on PUBBY was outright fake or highly suspect. The fakes are quite obvious to spot, For example some members will download a book of 100,000 words, then submit a review in a matter of a few hours. The reviews are either one liners or a patchwork cribbed from other posted reviews.
PUBBY has a great chance here but failure to curb the abuses will ultimately ruin it for them. Maybe it's time for Amazon to step in.

Tip for consumers:
This company fails to monitor "Review Churners" despite repeated complaints from legitimate customers. The service is expensive to use. Customer service is provided by a robot (and it shows)

Could be a great business if the management were responsive to the problems. My advice? Stay away.

lucap41
August 25th, 2021

I have tried several different marketing systems to promote my books and collect honest reviews but I have to say this is the easiest I found and the only one is really working. You also have the possibility to download and ready many books for free so you can enjoy your time and leave an honest review on other publisher's work

cathib9
January 30th, 2021

It isn't what they advertise but that's not the worst. The people don't actually read your book and it's evident by the reviews. Everyone is just trying to get reviews for their own book and if you read one and give it an actual review beware, it better be good or when you want yours reviewed again they will trash you. Terrible experience. Quit after two weeks!

Tip for consumers:
If you want fake reviews and want to waste your time. By all means go ahead.

kaylal192
September 8th, 2021

Pubby has helped me get more reviews for my book, and many of the reviews are quality reviews. They're honest, which means they're not all 5 stars or anything, which is realistic and what any serious author wants. I've actually received some very valuable feedback in Pubby reviews, and it's helped increase my exposure.

stevenj689
August 26th, 2021

It is really my source for getting quality reviews on Amazon. Once I post my book up for review, it usually takes fifteen minutes for someone to pickup the book, and for a Verified Purchase, it may take a couple of hours. Once in a while, a Verified Purchase Review shows up as a regular review but I get my snaps refunded. Very easy to work with.

Tip for consumers:
If you have a book over 80-90K words, and it is not compelling, people may not pick it up to read.

camerons282
September 7th, 2021

Been using Pubby for a month or so. I've been able to read some incredible stories and had many opportunities to share my own work. Support is great and quick as well!

Scam, read my full review. Avoid at all costs. Not what it appears to be and does not deliver.

By Lee H.
See more answers (5)

Takes ages to respond and then very rude and short with replies. They don't act like they want to keep you as a customer but talk as if they're not bothered.

By Lee H.
See more answers (5)

You can charge a small fee. You will get more reviews if you offer a free read via pdf, epub or via kindle unlimited.

By Elizabeth G.