Review of Petro

Woodbury, NY, US
Tel: 1.800.645.4328

shahh3
12/1/18

Petro recently took over a local smaller oil company (AGM) with which I have done business for many years. A couple of weeks ago, I called them to ask for pricing for next year but they said it was too early for it. My previous contract started mid-Dec with the smaller company they took over but it appears Petro extended extended the contract to Jan 01, meaning that I can not get a better pricing with anyone in the middle of cold season. Then, recently one of the sales rep. called me on a Saturday to provide pricing but with a take-it-or-leave-it pricing good for 24 hours only! The next day being Sunday, means that I can not shop around and if I can't find a better price on Monday, I might lose the pricing from Petro as well. They give me a higher rate first and waited to see if I would bite. When I didn't, they reduced the price by 40cents instantly but the max. ceiling being 50cents higher than the minimum pricing. Then, the Petro rep. kept reminding me about the 24 hour pricing policy. This appears to be a totally dishonest business practice calling people on Saturdays and giving them 24 hours to accept it or leave it. BEWARE OF THESE COMPANIES WITH CROOKED BUSINESS PRACTICES! I definitely will keep on dealing with the smaller local oil delivery companies instead of those bigger oil delivery companies who, it appears, don't have any business ethics anymore....

dennisr28
3/16/15

Petro oil is a large comsumer fuel oil company as well as recently cracking into the propane business along the northeast and mid-Atlantic states. They have bought out many of the smaller companies throughout these areas.

My mom is elderly and was a customer of one of these smaller companies which was gobbled up by Petro. Being elderly and a woman alone, made her perfect prey for their games much like a new car dealer takes advantage of this group of people.
They sold her a service contract and a locked in fuel oil price of $4.14 a gallon which was never supposed to go up but when prices on the market declined her price was supposed to drop also. She has never bought from a discount oil supplier and felt like she needed the piece of mind of a full service company. Well, conveniently her price was $4.14 a gallon every delivery that year, ( I saw all the delivery slips), and when she called for her burner cleaning, which she paid for with her service contract the wait was 2 months and just happened to be scheduled a week before her price-lock was due to expire!
I on the other hand bought my fuel from a discount dealer at a price that winter of between $3.20 and $3.50 depending on market forces. I have an independent, highly qualified, serviceman that charges for the cleaning and I pay as you go for any repairs, but provides 24 hour service like Petro.
The next year I told my mom 88 years young I would contact Petro on her behalf to see what the deal for the next year would be. I asked the rep. to please mail me their different service plans with prices. She agreed and mailed me the plans with NO prices. I then called them again and they told they would be glad to give her this year's great price-lock oil price of $4.24. All the while discount oil companies were selling it this past winter as low as $2.50 a gallon.
Before I advised my mom to leave Petro I called them once again to give them one last try. I asked the man who answered the phone how much is oil going for that given day, thinking she could buy it from them as the market goes. He REFUSED REPEATLY to give me the price over the phone telling me once my mom bought a service plan for the next year we could discuss the price of the oil. I thought to myself, WHAT?
To end my long story I convinced my mom she should change to a locally owned company which actually gave her a one time new customer, free 24 hour service plan including a free cleaning in the summer.

Petro, preys on senior citizens, single women and other people with similar ignorance of the fuel oil business, while wiser people can actually haggle with this company for a BETTER DEAL, like buying a new car. I DO NOT want you to tell this company about my review. Should these thieves figure out who we are my 88 years young mom may be very upset, seriously, and not make it to 89.

It is so true with this company, MAY THE BUYER BEWARE!!

I just want to warn others of Petro's games! Pick the local guy not the big national company!

Tip for consumers: BUY LOCAL, TRUST WORD OF MOUTH, HELP ELDERLY FRIENDS, RELATIVES, AND NEIGHBORS WHO ARE MORE VULNERABLE!

Questions? Get answers from the Petro staff and other customers.

Petro?