OnlineBookClub.org reviews

Contact OnlineBookClub.org -- We are happy to help
Contact Us

kathleenk47
3/27/17

I have been a member of OnlineBookClub.org for quite awhile and active in for about 6 months. There is always new books to look at and purchase for either free or a discounted price. Mr.Hughes is always professional and there if you need to ask him questions, plus he is always nice and prompt in helping in whatever I need.

The website is huge but there are a lot of resources to help maneuver around the site. It is amazing how many resources there are on the site and I love what was done to the website recently. There is so much to do on the website, reading reviews, and participating in forums to discuss a wide range of topics, mostly book related. The daily giveaway and the tweet reward programs are also another nice feature of the club. I look forward to visiting the site on a daily basis! Great job!

joyb37

OBC has it all!

For the reader, a powerful search engine to intelligent book reviews that help you find books suited just for you.

For the author, a great place to network, hang out, receive positive and negative (ouch!) feedback that will help improve your writing.

For the dedicated reader, a system in which to earn a little side money by doing that thing you love ... READING!! Yay for checking off another item on my bucket list... earning cash for reviewing books. CanNOT get any better than that.

laurap120
3/27/17

As a reviewer i appreciate the OnlineBookClub because i get to discover authors all over the world, read books at discount prices, sometimes free and interact with booklovers like myself.

paulz25
3/27/17

On Line Book Club is in a class of its own, not only does it get Authors into the spotlight and help generate sales...it also puts the reader into direct contact with new books and outstanding authors that are out there...grab a recommended book from OBC...you can't go wrong.

maryannm25
3/26/17

As an author, I like the site for the promotion it gives to books, especially the reviews. I have had two books reviewed and the reviewer did a good job with both.

As a reader, I appreciate getting daily notifications of bargain books to add to my bookshelves.

I have been a member of the Online Book Club for several years and have no plans of leaving.

Maryann Miller

nadinek5
3/25/17

I've been a lover of literature all my life and an OBC reviewer for almost two years now. I initially waited before participating because I wanted to be clear on all the rules, FAQs, and get more feedback about the site from other users. After doing so, once I started participating in book discussions and adding books I've read to my shelves, I started to enjoy myself.

It's hard work writing quality book reviews, and being an OBC member serves as a good challenge for me as a reviewer. I understand that my OBC reviews are only for posting on the OBC site, which is a little different for someone who regularly cross-posts her non-OBC reviews. However, directing fellow readers over to my OBC reviews via social media (and sometimes my blog) has been a pretty good way for me to share about books I've found on the site.

Although I've not always gotten the most timely response when I've submitted an error report on the site, I do appreciate the site's latest updates. It's even easier now for me to select books in the genres I prefer, and even then, if I find I'm not enjoying a book I selected, I can opt out of reading it and go back to select something else. While, naturally, some books have disappointed me or simply haven't been my favorites, I've also found some superbly-written novels and memoirs with powerful messages on the site, books that I likely wouldn't have known about otherwise.

camerona17
3/23/17

The site/forum has many different opportunities for both writers and readers alike. Through the "Review Team", book reviewers are given the opportunity to read up and coming books, for free (and sometimes for a monetary reward), in exchange for a comprehensive and honest review. On the flip side of this, authors are given the opportunity to have an honest review made of their book in order to either gain publicity for their work, or know what is required in order to make it better.

I have been a part of the "Review team" technically for about 4 years, but I have only been very active over the last few months. I have come to realise that OBC takes its reviews and its review team very seriously. Paid (especially higher paid) opportunities are not just given out to any available reviewer but rather earned through a system of reliability and carefully vetted prior reviews. Similarly, every effort to ensure that a review chooses a book that interests them is made and subsequently, that a quality review is written. In order to maintain access to these paid opportunities, the OBC tries to ensure that the member is an active participator in the myriad of forums.

As in any community, I'm sure there are members that try and take advantage of the system. Those that will put the minimum of effort in order to simply make a couple of dollars. This, however, will always remain the minority. Most of the community are dedicated readers who have always grown up with that passion. For these people, using the OBC to discover new authors/books, read brand-new fiction/non-fiction, and potentially help a budding author get their first steps, is what this site is all about.

I will continue to participate in this site as long as it exists as a reviewer and have already suggested this site to family members of mine.

catherineh71
3/23/17

This is definitely a 100% legitimate site! It's really allowed me to immerse myself into the community and the reviews are unbiased and constructive, especially since there is no contact between the reviewer and the writer, so the review is based solely on the book. OnlineBookClub.org is a great place to earn a little bit of money, and after using it for so long, it's become a website I visit every single day.

jennifera159
3/23/17

I have been a member of OBC since July 2016. I am an educator, avid reader, and a writer. This site is perfect for exploring these interests. I became a member to be part of a community of people who share a common interest. I began filling my "bookshelves" and tracking my progress toward my reading goals. I started reading the book of the month and participating in online discussions regarding the impressions, feelings, themes and other interesting aspects of the books that were being read. Since joining, I have been in contact and discussion with at least four authors of the BOTM. For a reader, having contact with the author is an amazing experience for me. I have also become a part of the review team. I have been able to choose books in the genres that I love including romance, erotic fiction, science fiction and fantasy, and I have been able to write reviews of these books. The lowest I have rated a book is 3 out of 4 stars. My experience as a reviewer has been personally challenging since I want to provide others with a genuine review that is entertaining, enlightening, and not "cookie cutter" as described by another poster on this site. My reviews are a reflection of my own talents as a writer and, therefore, I give it my all. Other reviewers on the site also take this role very seriously. Books and stories and the authors that create them are a gift to the reader. I, as the reviewer, want to share that gift with others. By providing an honest and fair review, I am providing a service to other readers not to mention the service to the author. Overall, I love OBC. I have found a niche that fits who I am as an educator, reader, and writer. I hope that others give the site a try!

kiml124
3/23/17

Ive been with OBC for over a year and Im happy to be a part of it. Im proud of what we do, that is writing honest book reviews, not necessarily positive ones. Just like in everything else, we have personal preferences that affect our opinions on particular books. We rate books as objectively as we can and we express criticisms as constructively and as politely as we can with all due respect to the authors. We only give honest opinions and offer suggestions based on what we feel about the book.

elainef22
3/23/17

I am a member of this site as a reader and reviewer. My experience has been nothing but positive. There are lots of book discussions not only about books that are officially reviewed on the site but other books too. As a reviewer, I'm able to select books based on genre, book synopsis and author bio. This allows me to ignore books that I know I wouldn't enjoy and give an honest review. Honesty in reviews is encouraged. The review system is transparent and easy to understand. I have always been paid promptly and exactly with no issue. I'm not an overly active poster and don't participate in all of the social media bonus point activities but I'm still able to get paid for reviews. It's a small amount but it was very clear up front that reviews pay in the range of $5 to $80 per review. This is accurate in my experience. I do it for the love of reading and exposure to books I wouldn't otherwise get to read. Hopefully I get to help out an author by providing a little bit of exposure. Love the site and everything seems up front to me.

rachelb112
3/22/17

Looking over some of the reviews here it seems that reviewers have a high rating for OBC, while authors have a lesser view. I have never tried to engage with OBC as an author, so I cannot speak to that system or process. I can speak to my personal experience as a reviewer and what that looks like (at least for me).

I am not an indie writer or author of any kind. I am an avid reader and fairly decent essay writer. I joined OBC because it gave me a chance to read new books and provide feedback on them. In the beginning, I couldn't even get paid reviews. Every review I completed was for free. As I established my name as a reliable, quality reviewer, I earned paying opportunities.

Free or paid, the process is the same:
First, I look at a list of opportunities. This list gives basic information about each opportunity including, title, author, genre, and payout. I am able to click on opportunities to learn more about the book, like a plot summary, and any other specifics. Based on my reading preferences, I select a book that I think I would enjoy reading. We are discouraged from selecting books outside of our normal preferences. However, there is no system in place that says that I am "qualified" to review one genre over the other.
Once I have selected and downloaded the book, I am given up to approx. 1 month to read the book and write my review. My written review is submitted to the review team for approval. At least one other editor reads my review and grades it. If it meets their expectations, it is approved and posted. For paid reviews, I am also required to submit a paragraph about my opinion of the ending of the book. I also take this opportunity to leave personal feedback to the author that is more than I can put in the review. Once the author has seen my feedback (not my review), my review is accepted and I receive payment.

In regards to the content of the review, we have a 4 star rating system. We have been directed that a book that lacks editing (i.e. contains grammatical errors, typos, technical errors, etc.) generally should not get 4 stars. Outside of that, the star rating is based on the writing style, plot, character development, etc. As with all rating systems, this is somewhat subjective. We are not allowed to detract points simply because we did not like the story (again why we are encouraged to select books within our genre). I have read and reviewed multiple books within my genre that I did not like, but still gave high reviews to because there was nothing wrong with the book, I just didn't like it.

I do not participate in the Book of the Day promotion, so I can't speak to getting compensation for purchasing and reviewing the selected book each day. I do not get Amazon gift cards for reviews or any other perks. I have always assumed the payout for reviewing a given book was set by the author, but I really have no idea how that process works.

For reviewers: I think OBC is a great place to go to earn a little extra cash and to read some really great (and not so great) books.
For authors: I really don't know what your experience is like, so I can't say if it is the best place to go to have your book reviewed or the worst place to go.

ashleyf65
3/22/17

I've been a member of OBC for about two years. Sometimes I'm not very active, and sometimes I am, just depending on my free time. I've been an avid reader for as long as I can remember, so I was ecstatic when I stumbled across this site that would actually pay me to read and review books. I've only reviewed about ten books in all, but I enjoy occasionally having a "job" that is totally book related.

Most of the time that I'm on the site has nothing to do with the book I'm reviewing. I'm looking up discussions for other books I've read in the past and reading other reviews for books that I may be interested in. Yes, while I do get paid a small amount for writing reviews (which honestly is nothing to write home about), I've also spent a fair share of money on buying the books that others have reviewed on this site. These are books that I never would have heard of outside of OBC.

I agree that sometimes editing scores on reviews are a little inconsistent. But the hoops that the reviewers must go through are all to ensure that the author is getting the best quality review available. My overall experience with the site has been overwhelmingly positive.

catherineh70
3/22/17

This is one of the best review sites out there. All the reviews are honest, and since they're done through the website without any interaction between the author and reader, the reviews are unbiased. It's super easy to use and there's a lot of opportunities to earn money, free e-books, or gift cards. I'm so glad I joined this!

rachaell28
3/22/17

I love Online Book Club. I have been with them for over a year as a reader and reviewer. At first, it took me some time to get used to the way the site works and why they do things the way they do. As a growing site it is always evolving and changing. From what I have seen it has just been getting better and better. There is something for everyone whether you are a reader, author, or reviewer. I love being able to find out about new indie or small published books. I trust the reviews from this site so much more than Amazon reviews where you have no idea who is actually posting that 5 star review. Also, because the reviews are much longer than a typical Amazon review, I am able to learn more about areas that are important to me in a book.

As a reviewer for Online Book Club, I always try to give the author constructive advice on what could be done better as well as informing readers of the positive and negative side of a book so they can decide if it is for them or not. Author's can rest assured that they will get a honest review by someone who thinks their book sounds interesting.

charlesj62
3/22/17

I've been a member of OBC for over a year and I've gotten a great deal of awesomeness out of it. There are daily discounted (and sometimes even free!) books, there are discussions about the book of the month and countless books I've never even heard of. I've given literally hundreds of books a chance I never would have otherwise and I enjoyed many of them!

sarahc237
3/22/17

If you are looking to get good, honest reviews of your books than this is the site for you. The reviewers will honestly tell you what they think. If your book is bad, then that's what they'll say. If you want an honest opinion, you need to look at this website.

graceb54
3/22/17

I have been a member of OBC for over two years and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I love learning about up-and-coming authors, and I love having the opportunity to write reviews. At OBC, authors will receive honest reviews, but not necessarily positive reviews. If a reviewer does not like your book, he/she is allowed to say so and rate it accordingly. We do keep our language tactful, but we do not hesitate to voice our misgivings. That being said, authors with easily hurt feelings would be advised to think twice before submitting! This is a fair and honest site that helps readers choose the best possible books!

kellyg99
3/22/17

I have been a member of the OBC for a couple of years now. I love to read and wanted to find other like-minded individuals. I have written several reviews and know that they are looked over by a review team that maintains the honesty and integrity of the reviews. I have read many books that I might not have tried, based on other member's recommendations and the book of the month club. If you enjoy reading, check out this book club!

shellel
3/22/17

I've been a member of OBC for just over a year and have enjoyed my time very much. I've had the opportunity to read and review a wide variety of books. Some books have been phenomenal and I can't stop recommending them, others are so-so, and others still need a complete re-write and that variety adds to the authenticity of the site. I like that there is a range of experienced and brand-new authors. The Book-of-the-Day program has exposed me to books and genres I don't normally gravitate to and introduced me to some authors I wouldn't have heard of otherwise.

galiz1
3/15/17

I am an OBC member for over 4 years and very happy with the site. I read a lot, and also write reviews when I see a book to my like. I do it for fun and not for the payout (which isn't that high anyway). The reviewers are readers who love to read and give their opinion about the books, so their reviews are more believable. They are required to carefully read the description of the book before selecting to review a book, so they will choose only a book that is a good fit for them. The site guarantees honest reviews, not positive ones, and has strict (but fair) rules to keep it orderly and prevent spam and advertising. OBC isn't a scam and it grows every day. Yes, there are giveaways, but they are for fun and not for any dark purposes. I love the BOTD program and got some very good books through it (I bought quite a few of them). The program gives me an exposure to books I wouldn't know about otherwise. Do yourself a favor and join the site! It is one of the best book sites around and has a lot of traffic. The community on this website is very friendly we all get along splendidly unlike some other sites.

Tip for consumers: Read the FAQ before your start posting.

kimd100
3/15/17

I have been part of the Onlinebookclub.org team for almost 6 months. I have read many books that I otherwise would have not heard of without Onlinebookclub.org. Scott Hughes, founder, is strict when it comes to rules, guidelines, and deadlines for the reviewers, editors, and authors. Therefore, only the best reviews are accepted and published. I am paid for my honest reviews. No reviewer is paid to write a review a certain way or to give a certain rating. Yes, we are offered rewards to share the Book of the Day. This helps get the word out about the book and the reward is just our incentive for taking time to do it every day. The books are shared on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn. Everyone on the onlinebookclub.org team works hard to provide an honest and well-written review while promoting the books.

wasifa
3/10/17

I have been an OBC member for over 6 months and I absolutely love the site. Everyone at OBC are really helpful. I also write reviews and earn about 20 dollars per review. The forums are also really active, helpful and interactive. Other than this, there are many amazon gift card giveaways as well. Definitely the best book club online.

Hi, Bruce, You can sign up as a reviewer at: https://onlinebookclub.org/free-books-for-reviews.php Thank you, Scott

By Scott H., OBC Marketing Services Representative

Hi, Carol, there is a contact link on every page of the website. Here is the direct link to the contact page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/contact.php

By Scott H., OBC Marketing Services Representative

No, it is not a scam. It is a real way for authors to get their book read, reviewed, shared, and publicized. It is also a real way for people to get paid to do book reviews and to earn/win some Amazon gift cards legitimately.

By Sara G.

If you write a book review for onlinebookclub.org, you must follow their guidelines. Some of them are writing a short summary, answering - What did you best like/least like about the book and why? - rating the book, etc. Each review is checked for grammar and if it followed the guidelines by an editor, and then it will be published, and the reviewer is awarded points and paid. Each review must be at least 400 words. Look on the website under guidelines to get all of the requirements for writing reviews.

By Sara G.

As a reviewer. I'm not looking to make a fortune but if it works out then I won't need to find a part time job. I'm interested in good books not "50 shades of grey" .

By Lorain D.

I think that this is a great way to get a book publicized and read by many online book club members, as many of them also will use social media to share the book. It is quite an amazing opportunity for authors, as well as book reviewers.

By Sara G.

Marietta, did you get this worked out on your review count? I am shopping for a service like this and your question you posted has me pausing. Thanks!

By Marina C.

A lot of people read book reviews. I have seen thousands of comments under one review.

By Susmita R.

You sign up online and start reading and reviewing books. Be sure to read the guidelines and rules. The first book review will be unpaid.

By Sara G.

A book reviewer starts out about $5.00 for a review after doing one free review to show that you can follow the guidelines. As you do more and get on higher levels, there will be higher paid book reviews offered to you. The paid reviews are from $5.00 to $55 on the average. There have been a few higher-paid ones if you are on level six and choose those. Most of the books are ebooks through Kindle Amazon. Some are paperbacks that you get to keep.

By Sara G.
Questions? Get answers from the OnlineBookClub.org staff and other customers.

18 Photos for OnlineBookClub.org