Interaction Design Foundation

Interaction Design Foundation

Interaction Design Foundation has a consumer rating of 4.9 stars from 45 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Interaction Design Foundation most frequently mention idf courses. Interaction Design Foundation ranks 11th among Education Other sites.

How would you rate Interaction Design Foundation?

“Excellent and valuable content”

Aaron V.
4/13/21

The Interaction Design Foundation reminds me of the Art School where I studied Graphic Design almost 20 years ago, very clear content, full of valuable material with not waste. I feel very comfortable with the way they structure the classes, and there is no rush, you can learn at your own rhythm. They keep track of your progress and look after you to make you keep going an learning.

“Was not what I was lead to believe it was.”

Richard T.
2/28/18

I joined for the full year membership thinking I would be taking courses specifically in UX Design. That was not the case. I have a bachelors degree in digital design. The courses offered covered material that every designer learns, not anything specifically to UX design. In fact, all it took was one trip to Barnes and Noble to find numerous books, from numerous authors, and numerous publishers, on UX design that contained information very different from what the courses at IDF offer. The site is great if you want to become a designer in general, (graphic designer, production designer, visual designer, etc.) but does nothing to prepare you to delve into UX design itself. It also is not self-paced has advertised. You have to wait week after week to progress through the courses just like you would in a college classroom, each one taking 4 to 6 weeks. Inside the courses themselves, I found myself routinely answering the same essay questions over and over again. In other words, they would ask the same question a different way several times. Which is fine if you are doing multiple choice, but these were essay questions. So it was infuriating to have to write the same essay question answer over and over again. And the "certification" is through LinkedIn... NOT an academic institution. Its in the fine print after you sign up. LinkedIn.com is a website... NOT a school, college, or institution. The only place this certification is accredited for is LinkedIn's website. That is clearly not what people are lead to believe when signing up. In other words, this is NOT accredited by any means.

aaronv88
April 13th, 2021

Online Courses.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks so much for the feedback! We're thrilled to provide valuable resources to the design community. I hope you can have a look at our upcoming courses, as well as our online masterclasses. As you mentioned, we've doubled the efforts on the clarity and value of our educational materials.

gerganab
July 7th, 2021

I found about this site through a satisfied friend of mine. And I am so glad!
I took part in one course for UX. The materials were so thoughtfully prepared, that the learning was really pleasant. The platform itself is also really nice and easy to use. It presents a lot of opportunities vone to take part in different groups in the community, to make contacts or to find a job.

Now I am looking forward for the next course.

Tip for consumers:
Take full advantage of your time within the membership period.

Online learning course

Hi Gergana,

Thanks so much for the review and the kind words. We're glad you're enjoying your membership and taking advantage of the courses! We hope you can complete many of our courses during your membership.:-)

BTW, don't forget to check our master class webinars — we have live sessions airing about every two weeks.

Warm regards,
Rikke Friis Dam of the Interaction Design Foundation.

victorc381
February 12th, 2021

I was the owner and CEO of an internet software firm. I have always been intrigued by good designs in both physical and software products.

This course has given me valuable insights into the philosophy and techniques of good designs. I now firmly believe that great designs stemmed from a sincere interest in understanding the needs of the users. Techniques are important, however, without genuine user empathy, they are nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig.

Interactional Design Foundation has made an important contribution in teaching good designs to both its members as well as society in general.

Hi Victor,

Thanks so much for the feedback. As you mentioned, we focus on timeless design principles, and that's the philosophy we use to develop our courses, masterclasses, bootcamps, and all our educational materials. We're happy to know that you've found our material useful in your career.

Best,

theop23
April 21st, 2021

I only completed the 'Beginners Guide to UX' course but thoroughly enjoyed it. This course was very in-depth, helpful and easy to follow and I really liked how the course was split over several weeks, there was no pressure to complete it in one go. It was thanks to this course that encouraged me to study User Experience Design at an undergraduate degree level. Customer support and the lectures are very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend trying the courses Interactive Design Foundation offers.

'Beginners Guide to UXD'

Hi Theo,

Thanks for the review! We hope you find time in the future to complete more of our courses. We have a wide range and variety of courses for all levels — I'm sure you will benefit from our intermediate and advanced courses.:-)

albertr173
December 22nd, 2020

The courses are very well structured, with great attention to detail, interesting real-life examples, and with a wide variety of topics. It's an exciting learning platform where each user can customize its path to better follow their interests and experience. The support is friendly and always ready to help.

I highly recommend Interaction Design Foundation.

Hi Albert,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We've put a lot of effort into adding practical examples with a timeless focus into our courses, masterclasses, and literature. Thanks so much for the kind words.:-)

katarinas23
May 12th, 2021

I signed up for a membership about three years ago when I barely knew what UX design is. Since then, I've taken many courses which taught me the basics in a really educational way and boosted my self-confidence as designer. I often study in the evenings when I have the time or when I need to learn something new. For years I've been encouraging people I meet to sign up and try it out because I really believe that not only the relevant content but also the way course material is produced holds an excellent quality.
I also attended couple of IDF meetups and got in touch with really interesting people (back in the times when meeting in person was "legal"). I am currently just one step away from being hired as a UX designer and IDF courses have contributed a great deal to my level of knowledge.

Hi Katarina,

It's wonderful to come across such a fantastic and heartwarming review! This has been precisely the mission we've been working on since 2002: Democratize education by providing top-quality, online design courses at a fraction of the cost of traditional education. Success cases — such as yours, fuel the fire in our team to facilitate learning and career advancement. We're very proud of our work, and we're continually improving.

Congratulations on the great effort and commitment you have made this far. I'm sure that your reward will come soon!

kevins1497
December 15th, 2020

I switch from another highly expensive online bootcamp to IDF to continue learning UX Design. The Courses are very detailed, well explained, diverse content (Text/Video), a lot of resources and a great community.
Also, the support is fast, friendly and helps you to learn in a way you want.

I can highly recommend Interaction Design Foundation.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for recommending the Interaction Design Foundation. I'm glad to know that you've benefitted from our courses. It's our mission to provide top-quality, online design courses at a fraction of the cost of traditional education. It's reassuring to know we're delivering as promised.:-)

Best,

craigh505
March 24th, 2021

I began classes with Interaction Design Foundation in 2018. I am a graphic designer and work in print, digital and animation for nearly 20 years. I wanted to increase my knowledge of the UX side of the design industry and found their courses to be a great way of doing so. I was enrolled for about a year and a half and I completed 5 certification courses during that time. I found their lessons to be very in-depth and enjoyed the academic nature of the writing and subject matter. Rather than focus on trends or technology (that fade) they discussed more overarching design tenets and the timeless aspects of practicing UX.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the review and congratulations on the certificates! You certainly put that year of membership to good use.:-)

marlonj23
April 24th, 2021

IDF is an absolute treasure trove of information, knowledge and learning for designers at all levels. I have completed 3 courses and already have 3 more lined up. IDF is totally awesome!

Tip for consumers:
Stick to it and don't give up- learn as much as you can

Courses and web videos

ohado
February 3rd, 2021
Verified purchase

I found IxDF one of the best resources for learning UX.
Overall experience:
- The community is active and helpful, the teachers are wonderful.
- I found myself doing almost all of the courses there, which helped me a lot.
- IxDF staff is extremely nice, If I had a question I would just send an email, and in a few hours, I would get a response. I felt like I'm chatting with my friends.
Learning:
- IxDF is designed for all levels, from beginners to experts, they got you covered.
- All of the courses are well written, the close and open questions are challenging. Don't expect your answers for the open questions to be correct all the time (which for me showed that they are carefully checking the answers, and not just giving points away).
- In each course, you got optional challenges that you can share with the community and get feedback on your work.
- IxDF also offers webinars all the time that cost $1 for members.
- IxDF got a lot of recourses that can help you as a UX designer.
Verdict:
I can go on and on about how good this place is since it helped me in many ways.
Would definitely recommend this site for people who want to understand what's UX, what to expect from working in this field, and learning about all sorts of topics that are related to design.
10/10 for me, I hope this review was helpful.
Good luck on your journey.

Tip for consumers:
Prepare for yourself a learning schedule and progress in your own time :)

louisg179
April 20th, 2021

The UX courses i chose to take with Interactional Design Foundation were really complete, full of pertinent and new information. The examples taken illustrate perfectly the subjects and the speakers know their subjects.
I would just add that it would be so nice to have a little bit more illustrations about several subjects, especially the ones wich contains lots of text.

amanl2
March 30th, 2021

The courses provided by IDF are extremely good and provide a comprehensive study for those who wanna pursue UX design as a full time career. It's not just about the fundamentals but the way they've organized it that turns out to be helpful for everyone, from beginners to experts. The assignments are pretty good and the community is really helpful to get your doubts sorted. Moreover, all members ( Rikke to be specific) were really kind to understand my issue and provide me with every possible help during my journey. Would highly recommend you all to sign up for it.

Tip for consumers:
Do the course along with other students when it's live instead of keeping a backlog. That's more helpful in terms of progress, interaction with fellow students and overall grades in the course.

UX design course

paulac627
January 11th, 2021

I have come across the Interaction Design Foundation, taken a few courses, among them is the Interaction Design for Usability and I must confess, I was very pleased on how the information was structured and presented, the abundance of examples of good and bad ways to solve the usability and interaction issues, great way to communicate with different participants of the same course, reinforcing the knowledge we gained throughout each chapter. I will recommend to anyone who is interested in a career in UX, instead of taking a bunch of courses on different platforms, try to subscribe here, learn the basics and after that you're ready to start applying what you've learned along the way.

harshanic
April 1st, 2021

I am a graduate student and I joined the interaction design foundation with a keen interest in improving my knowledge. The course here not only gave me the knowledge it was an eye-opener to UX and psychology in design. IDF has also helped me to gain recognition and push me through the rough waters of design like an experienced sailor in UX.
I really appreciate these courses and the instructors who gave comment and motivate us. It's really helpful for us. And I achieve 17/32 certifications within 6 months. You only need to pay for one year and get this good opportunity to learn and gain knowledge. It's really worthful. I highly recommend to everyone to learn a new UX experience guide with this course. Who has been an industry expert or beginner in the UX industry.

kevinc1233
October 31st, 2020

I discovered IDF while I was without a job and so I had the time to upgrade my skills, but also a small budget. I came across IDF and I decided to give them a chance. I'm a designer for almost 10 years and I found here a lot of good content to expand my knowledge of contemporary subjects. I really loved the Design Thinking course as a great starter! What's even better is that there is a huge community following the same courses; people who are really motivated and active. There are also meet up organized around the major cities across the globe, that's awesome to enrich your local network. Of course, as each training, there is a lot more you can learn by yourself thanks to the great bibliography related to each theme. Very complete courses and well documented to do your work too, this is very helpful with my kind of learning process. I Highly recommended!

aswathyr
December 25th, 2020

Coming from a totally different background, I took this course hoping to get a little knowledge on all aspects of digital design that you see in today's world. But i can't stress enough this point that this course is the one and only reason that helped me in making up my mind to decide my final goal, to become a UX Designer. To be honest, I am really forever grateful for all the IDF community members who made me what i am today. Of course you did your part in taking care of my career completely, now its up to me to keep moving forward. Thank you so much for such a wonderful experience, and I am hoping to learn more new courses from IDF.

jorely
January 20th, 2021

If you want to launch a new career in UX Design, this is one of the best platforms out there. The courses provide me a great overview of User Experience and Design thinking. All in all, it was a great, happy and insightful learning experience. I would recommend this for beginners. :)

dimitrisg5
October 28th, 2020

I've been a member of IDF for several years and never regret becoming one in the first place. The mix of courses, the level of proficiency and the number of the courses are definitely worth it. The option to customise what you will learn based on selecting a career path is what helps you become a specialist based on your wants. Having more courses coming in shows the Foundation's commitment to provide the latest and top education based on what is happening in the areas of UX and lastly, Service design. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to have a strong base of knowledge.

antonioc291
March 30th, 2021

It seems to me that the IDF was made in the right measure for my needs: a professional, serious and well-prepared organization, which delivers solid knowledge, easily adaptable to my experience and my expectations. I am not a professional designer. I worked for many years as Senior Business Developer and Alliance Manager, but I am currently in "gap year", "redesigning" my career, looking for specializations in design, which is one of the areas that I love the most. I believe that, with IDF courses, I will be able to combine this knowledge and techniques with my professional experience.

Products used:
Courses, training in Design.

aliciaknabbenm
May 19th, 2021

I found of great interest all courses I took at IDF platform. The fact you can study at your own pace helps a lot and the quality of the courses exceeded expectations.

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for the review! We take pride in the fact that our members can actually set their own study schedules. We are a truly global community—with members in every single corner of the world.

Very best,

abdulr134
November 19th, 2020

I was a member of IDF, I took the course for "User Research – Methods and Best Practices"
It was great Experience, It's not only videos and articles but also real practice like how to do User personas, User Journey maps and other UX activities.
Strongly recommending to go with IDF for good UX Knowledge.

stefand52
April 8th, 2021

The first thing people think about when they think of the Interaction Design Foundation is design education. But I think I have learned more about the community and the people by the email back and forth with Rikki, the chief editor. She's responsive, kind and clear with her words. Not only is this a good reflection on IDF but on the work at hand. IDF had a large hand in my design career to date. Not only did they reaffirm the knowledge gained in my own experiences, but helped me further understand the theory of design and how best to continue improving and putting it into practice.

Thanks to the team for putting together an amazing course and sound career path as a guide of which knowledge we need to push our career further.

manishm30
January 9th, 2021
Verified purchase

It has been really a great experience to learn UX design form Interaction Design Foundation. The content and the short courses they have bucketize to give a seamless learning about UX, Start to End are awesome. And those courses have rich content and real-time question answers are making the learning easy and helping beginner to grasp the logic of Human center design for long term. I would refer to every UX beginner to start with Interaction Design Foundation to become a pro in UX in such a very low cost of learning.

Manish Marken

csillap1
April 7th, 2021

Last year a good friend of mine recommended IDF to me when she found out that I'd be interested in getting into UX. And I'm so happy she did!

Before that I was trying to learn things on my own, trying to find reliable sources of information and learning material on the internet. Yes, undoubtedly, there's a lot you can find on the internet these days to learn from, but that will only get you so far.

When you're only just starting out in your UX journey you need structure and guidance, and you need confidence that you're in good hands. You want to build your knowledge on solid basics and you want to be able to learn about all the various aspects of the field. IDF gives you all of these, and so much more!

The amount of courses is unbelievable, covering everything from the absolute beginners to the more intermediate and advanced studies. You can easily take these courses step by step, building on each other. There's also lots of additional helping material free for you to download along the courses.
I especially like the templates which you can start using in your personal work right away!

The courses are a good mixture of reading and video lessons and they're taught by well-established and world-class experts in their field. What I also really appreciate is that even once you finish a course you can go back and revisit any chapter at any time if you need a little refresher on a particular topic.

And there's one more very important thing to mention - on top of the courses you'll get to be part of a great community, which is also priceless! There's always some interesting topics you can follow and join in the forum, and you can start networking with other people, from all over the world.
A large number of members are already working UX professionals who are also very happy to share their knowledge and want to network. There's always something new I learn even just from reading the forum :)!

I would absolutely recommend IDF to everyone who's looking to get started in UX and also those who want to broaden their existing knowledge and skillset.
There's so much to learn here! It really is a UX Powerhouse!

eduardos166
March 23rd, 2021

You can learn all UX knowledge that you need, no matter what's your level and at your own pace. It's a very useful platform.

Questions? Get answers from the Interaction Design Foundation staff and other customers.

Online UX design courses and literature created by design experts. Don Norman: "A goldmine of information on interaction design."

We’re market leaders in online design education because the world’s leading experts create our content and because we’re specialized in design. Our courses cover the entire spectrum of UX design from beginner to advanced.

Business History

With 109,999 graduates, the Interaction Design Foundation is the biggest online design school globally. We were founded in 2002.

Since 2002, we’ve been on a mission to:
- Teach you concrete design skills to advance your career and build a better future for yourself and your employer.
- Teach you how to leverage the power of design in the same way companies such as Apple and Google do.
- Help you apply your new design skills to improve the quality of life for humankind. We live in a world filled with inefficient and frustrating design and you can make a positive impact by designing human-centered technology.
- Democratize education by providing top-quality, online design courses at a fraction of the cost of traditional education.
- We offer you the best expertise from both high-tech companies and academia. We produce top-grade learning materials with elite industry designers from Google and IBM as well as top professors from Stanford, MIT and Cambridge University.
- We facilitate learning and career advancement in 467 Local Groups in 95 countries.

Rikke F.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Interaction Design Foundation?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

4.9
Have a question about Interaction Design Foundation?