Review of Influenster

New York City, NY 10013, US
Tel: +1-917-210-2981

oliviar13
11/12/15

I see so many reviews here, and elsewhere, about how this site doesn't give them enough samples, or doesn't give them to them often enough. Jeez people, they're FREE samples, be grateful you get any and don't sound spoiled! I've been with this site for about 2 years and have received 3 sample boxes. They had a fun mix of products, and typically are geared toward me based on survey answers (one was a school related one, and I am a college junior, so that was fun!). Just check regularly for any new Virtual VoxBox (no physical sample, but often coupons and fun activities), and keep up with the survey questions. Be patient, and you'll get one eventually, and when you do I guarantee it'll be great! Usually 5-8 products, some VERY expensive normally like a Covergirl foundation I once received, and a good amount of time to sample and review before the event expires.

cherylb35
9/26/15

Their new site and app are awesome! It used to be difficult to update and add reviews but now it's a snap-plus you can try just about anything free to review.

jessicas98
8/14/15

I really love influenster. I can agree with another poster who has mentioned the site is more for product "pushing", however i am always honest in my reviews. I have had badges that have asked me to post a picture of a product on instagram with certain hashtags and what not. I have done so, but with expressing my true opinion for that product. I have received quite a variety of items such as YSL makeup, food products, panty liners, Sally Hansen products, Eco Tools, Rimmel make up and more. It's easy on my downtime to answer a few questions and do a couple tasks. I have added all my social media to the site and my impact score is "high". I'm not sure if that truly affects voxbox selections or what, but so far I'm loving the site.

amyj23
Mrs J.
8/10/15

So far i have received 2 influenster vox boxes to try i have reviewed one but i have not reviewd the second box yet...but i can definetly say that influenster is amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsne2By10Y

cardinalr
7/11/15

Influenster is nothing but a scam. It took them over a year to send me a tea bag I'd signed up to review. One tea bag -- over a YEAR. All they want to do is collect your information and sell it to other companies. I'm glad I gave them little to work with, let me tell you.

Now they've redesigned their site so it's EXTREMELY difficult to contact them. They also don't explain things, such as exactly how the 'program' works. Why? So they don't have to deal with people -- it's obviously a distraction for them when they're very busy selling your information.

My advice to you is to STAY AWAY from these people. Unless you *want* to have someone profit from your information or you'd like to spend endless hours shilling for the companies that pay THEM, not YOU.

I'm very glad I never went back to that site after I initially signed up and requested a sample of Runa tea. Considering how stale it was when it finally arrived, no way was I about to drink it -- and after waiting so long I certainly wasn't going to review it.

I should write Runa about Influenster and ask them if they knew the ill will their deal with them was going to generate -- on so many levels.

sarahw86
6/6/15

Yes, you get free stuff. But it's not really for your honest review. When you get a box, they ask you to do things for a "badge." But all of those things include things like "tweet how fierce you are with xyz product" or "tell your friends why you love abc product." Some are even "create a Pinterest board with xyz product." How is that asking for your opinion?! That's you giving the company free advertising! And most reviews are "I loved this product! Thanks influenster!" without any serious review of it (pros, cons, etc). I couldn't stand sharing some of the bad products with my friends so I didn't earn my badges. Oh well...

amandab62
1/12/15

I'm disgusted with influenster. I found this site when it first came out, and I told so many people about it I cannot even believe it. I am generally a happy person and if something is cool- I will talk to you about it. It is not cool. I dedicated hours reviewing my favorite things, including a detailed phone review that probably could have been used by the company itself and saved them from hiring a new employee. I'm not sounding too happy here- but the point is that if you want to dedicate your time to positively influence, make a blog! I wish I had typed everything on there instead of wishy washy sites like this. It is all the excitement of what you might get, very rarely do you get anything at all. Get a blog and maybe check out a subscription box. Best wishes

meaghane
11/16/14

I've joined a lot of trial websites, but this is one is kind of the worst. I was promised a holiday vox box that I earned by writing eBay guides, and I have yet to be invited to one. I was looking forward to the reward I was promised, but it's been months and I've yet to receive it, or any word of it.

alexp9
12/25/13

I joined this site because I was curious about what it is. I requested an invite and was accepted a few days later - I think it depends on whether or not your email is associated with social media accounts. I've never been one to not be blunt so I'll be blunt: it's a product pushing site disguised as a rewards community type of thing where your "popularity" and activity earns you better rewards. When you join, they assess your "influence" by your facebook, if you have a blog, twitter, youtube, etc. You get assigned a number and depending on that number you may qualify for "vox boxes," - sounds fun right? You get to try random products depending on the category which you can sign up to be an expert of - beauty, exercise, geek stuff, etc.

However, I think Influenster is less about trending and more about product pushing and brand marketing. By offering free stuff for their users, they ensure that bloggers and vloggers promote items like gel shoe inserts, hair ties (which I actually want to try) and toothpaste to their audiences. In essence, instead of marketing teams trying to find individuals to try and promote items - Influenster aggregates individuals on behalf of them and then the brands that are featured on Influenster let Influenster handle the distribution and representation. So who's really influencing whom? It's definitely less the users and more so the brands involved. Going back to the dSLR example, for people who've never been exposed to a dSLR - they might see the Canon rebel, look at the reviews and go out to buy one. Sure, google exists for the more knowledgeable buyer but for the people that don't want to wade through long product reviews and spec ratings - Influenster just might influence them with their selective branding.

You cannot add products or labels to their database to review (reviewing earns you more cred with your expert category and ups your overall score - giving you a better chance at being selected for a vox box). This is proof that it's really more about a pre-selected group of item (buy Xbox not PS, buy Canon not Nikon) and social media slowly trickling those brands to consumers. The only influence anyone has is what Influenster tells them to have - any indie, niche or non corporate labels/entities anyone has an interest in does not exist. That being said, if you love KRAFT MAC AND CHEESE, Neutrogena and Taco Bell you can review them to your heart's content (even shady one liners like "Great") and for your hard work, might as well get free samples.

When you take the survey for being on the short list for the next campaign, if you are a good match for the upcoming box you will receive an email sometime after saying "You're in!". If you do not receive that email, it means you were not a good match for that particular campaign based on your answers.

By Amy M.

To receive a VoxBox, connect your social media accounts to increase the impact meter. Write reviews and earn badges for those honest reviews. You may receive an email saying you are on the short list for an upcoming VoxBox and are required to take a survey if you would like to participate. If your survey answers show you are a good match for that campaign you will receive an email saying "You're in!". After that you will receive the product(s) and you MUST complete the campaign actions, write reviews and take a survey at the end of the campaign. If you do not do these things, you will not qualify for another VoxBox. Influenster is not about getting free stuff, it is about Influensting your followers, friends and family. Sharing products with them with honest reviews.

By Amy M.

I'm 46 and NO, in almost a year I have NEVER gotten one.

By Heather F.

facebook sells information to data miners that pay money - so yes. And linking anything to facebook will increase the chances of this happening. Your account being hacked may or may not be because of linking. It's good to change your password every once in a while and to avoid putting everything on facebook.

By d s.
Questions? Get answers from the Influenster staff and other customers.

Influenster?