Review of Gumtree.com.au

garym478
11/26/18

katd32
5/22/18

Two weeks ago i paid almost $100 for what they call top ads and home gallery ads. Neither is what those names make your believe, the home gallery ad is NOT on their home page!

Seeing that i immediately wrote them a response that i was cancelling that order (in less than half an hour from putting it up), and talking to someone called Hope, she said that i would get the refund within 3-5 working days, so i waited over the weekend, and when nothing happened after the 5th working day, i got back onto them via the chat and that time talked to someone called Ben.

He got all the information and said that he will contact the manager, that all refunds need doing by managers. I asked how much longer i have to wait, he said it takes 1-2 days and that they will get back to me via the email, once it's been done.

It was a Thursday so i thought it should be done by late Friday, but again nothing and after waiting over the second weekend today is the following Tuesday - one day short of two weeks since the original payment - and there is NO refund money and NO EMAIL.

It is obviously intentional when giving the refund takes one click, so i am hoping that this is an eye opener for someone considering to place any paid ads on Gumtree you are probably not getting what you believe, and the refund process is definitely very difficult and they keep delaying it with false promises.

I yesterday told them that i will start writing honest reviews so it's been their choice to let that happen instead of doing the right thing to me.

Gumtree please do not get back to me by 'please contact the customer service'. That is exactly what i have been doing almost every day now - apart from the chats i also submitted a customer service contact email and THERE IS NO REPLY.

Please also note Gumtree that i am not going to give up on getting my money back, so the sooner you act the less damage you cause to yourselves.

kanek
4/15/18

NEVER USE GUMTREE!

Paid for an expensive unlimited premium listing only for 2 month to go by and NO SALE. Convenient enough all of a sudden my UNLIMITED listing was removed by gumtree without any refund or notice in advance.

Gumtree claim my listing didnt meet the terms and conditions of gumtree.

HOWEVER once the listing was created and it edited it was left pending till screened and approved before publishing by guntree.

So apparently someone at gumtree isnt doing there job correctly and approved my listing even though it apparently was not within the terms of gumtree guidelines.

So rather than throughly checking my listing and not approving it in the first place they just approve it and take your money then remove it and STEAL YOUR MONEY!!

Whats a scam! Iv Now logged with consumer affairs

Worst place to sell! No real enquiry. No sale. HEAPS OF SPAM AND SCAM BUYERS!

FAR TOO EXPENSIVE and a huge waste of time!

FACEBOOK IS FREE TO SELL AND NO SCAMS AS YOU DEAL WITH REAL LIFE PEOPLE!

0-5 guntree. Terrible.

nickc113
10/17/17

Holy moly are they incredibly bad and useless.

Posted an ad about a 4 days ago, then opened my ad manager yesterday to find that the ad was never posted. No communication of ANY KIND from Gumtree as to what happened or why. The money was taken out of my account.

So I tried to get in contact with them, and of course I wasn't able to connect to anyone via their "live chat".

I decided to put up another ad anyways, just to try it out again. Same thing, nothing showed up, again, even after PAYING FOR THE AD.

Finally got in touch with someone on their live chat, just for the person to send me a link to their "terms of use".

When questioned repeatedly by me as to why there was ABSOLUTELY ZERO COMMUNICATION about the cancellation of my ad, the staff member simply could not understand my question and kept referring me to the "terms of use" page.

A new low achieved by Gumtree's customer support. My 90 year old grandmother could provide better customer service than them. Completely useless.

lyndar21
8/3/17

I have been selling items on gumtree for 4 + years and regularly have sold items. When items have been on gumtree and slow selling I with bank statements have paid to bump up and also highlight items. Yesterday without any notice from gumtree an item was marked FREE and ALSO MY HOME A FEW MONTHS AGO WAS MARKED FREE without my knowledge! Of course people contact me and assume I was giving my home away or in yesterday's case a new GUESS handbag was marked free so WTF is happening??? I have never given away a free item on gumtree and to do so you have to tick free.

karinw4
2/26/17

Aussie site all states. Choose your area by name or kms.
Buy new, secondhand, preloved & even get free items!
Almost anything avail. Watch options available.
Pickup or post depend upon seller.
Also great place to sell. Great for local stuff too.
Owned by eBay but shopping is generally much cheaper
& no selling fees & no auctions.
Highly recommend. I love it! First place to look for something.

Tip for consumers: Know your prices before you shop to get best value.

carolb153
1/19/17

We are selling on gumtree. There is someone out there making offers and us excepting. Then when we ask them when we can meet. They dont bother. Is it legal. Gumtree dont seem to care

wesleyt13
4/29/16

This website is okay for locating things for sale in local area. Other than that, it's a website to stay away from.
They don't regulate who posts on there. I've seen many scammers posting ads and gumtree.com.au does nothing about it.

marks352
3/16/16

I never realised just how vulnerable you are purchasing items of GUMTREE. NEVER AGAIN.
I just paid $400 plus postage for a Elinchrom Strobe which was sold as in EXCELLENT CONDITION. The locking ring was broken and the strobe doesn't work properly. The seller doesn't want to know anything about it..... Must of all happened in transport, he says. Sorry just bad luck. Wont have it returned or exchanged for another one. THROUGH GUMTREE YOU HAVE NO RECOURSE. YOU CANT WARN OTHERS. THE SELLER CAN BE AS DISHONOURABLE AS THEY LIKE. GUMTREE doesn't even have PayPal protection. AN EXPENSIVE LUCKY or NOT SO LUCKY DIP.......BE WARNED.

alexandrap7
10/26/15

I became a member and started selling straight away. With no selling restrictions or fees like eBay but your privacy is protected it is PayPal linked if you want that. I found this site much better for selling locally. I'm also finding small operator businesses like local at-home hairdressers and removalists really helpful.

naytl
2/28/15

Posted a very urgent ad for my boat in Australia, got message saying that the ad was confirmed and would be active in a few hours. Received no further communication from Gumtree, found out for myself when it was way too late that the ad was never posted because I posted it from overseas, never mind that the item and the contact were in Australia. Apparently it is too difficult for them to even set up an automated message to inform me that there was a problem and allow me to make other arrangements.

jennyg8
5/27/14

I am in downtown sydney for a few months and and like to share my experience with fellow traveller. Internet access is easy to find in the city, but getting online is one thing, putting an ad on gumtree.com.au is a very different experience. I have been spending hours and hours try to selling my personal stuff through this site. The problem isnt getting people to buy them.

After writing up my ad, i click the submit button, hoping it's online and good enough to get some shoppers' attention. I got a message on the screen. it said i have to activate it. so i open my email and click the link sent to my from gumtree.com.au.

Surprse, surprise, another message popped up on the screen. it said my ad was already and activated one so the activation thing i just did was totally unnecessary. I felt like a fool but still i was happy to know that my ad was actived (whoever actived for me remained a mystry), so I can just sit back and wait for calls and email from shoppers.

A day went past but no one calls. I went back to the site to find my own ad. There is nowhere in the world i could find it. I felt like a fool again. I was totally mislead. The ad was never up there. My submitted ad was still out there somewhere for gumtree's internal use.

Being extremely frustrated by the experience, i complaint to the site by creating a "ticket" (the site's self-made complaint system, not an independent review)

I check back a day later, the compaint ticket was deleted, the letter I wrote to them was replace by this message "Error:You have been locked out the system for 60 minutes because of too many login failures"

This message was completely false and very misleading, i was never at any time doing any "login" on the site gumtree.com.au, In fact, there is no need for any "login" involved in writing a complaint "ticket"

I decided to create another complaint "ticket", this time someone replied and said that my ad was never online (gosh, i wish i was told before), the staff said they usually notified seller when their ads were deleted by a gumtree staff, but found nothing wrong with my ad, that's why I wasn't told anything. he then revealed their "ip screening" system is responsible for the mistake, meaning hundreds and thunsands of unaware sellers were treated as spammers

Before I used this site, I thought it's a market place for fair play, but it turned out to be something totally different: it's heavily manipulated and it purposly mislead unaware users with a series of fales messages. It's obviously that these messages are design to blame victim users for the site's manipulation and wasted victim users hours and hours of their valuable time.

I wanted to comment on this reply and ask them to further verify some facts. When I visited the complaint "ticket" again, the entire "ticket" including my original letter and the staff's reply dissapeared completely.

The site (gumtree.com.au) went out its way to remind users again and again that sellers take full reponsibily for their ads. This user self-responsible policy doesn't go togther with the heavy handed manipulation, misleading messages and lack of transparency that I experienced with the site.

johns552
8/4/13

Decent selling & buying site for Australians, I check gumtree once a week for people selling stuff relatively cheap in my area and so far 90% of my purchases have been good, You do find some tyre kickers when selling and will get some pretty annoying messages from other users when you are selling, So far buying i have only encountered 2 problems when the seller no longer wanted to sell or got a better offer, Other then that this is a great site to try out and hopefully get a bargain or 2.

maryc27
1/5/12

I have always used eBay to find great deals on things I need, but I have only just discovered Gumtree! I'm not sure how long it has been around for, but I downloaded the iPhone app a couple of weeks ago - and now I check it every day! The prices for furniture and house things are so cheap - cheaper than I would find on eBay. And the good thing about it is that it is only from your area! I highly recommend checking it out!

Questions? Get answers from the Gumtree.com.au staff and other customers.

Gumtree.com.au?