Review of Glubble

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland 1013 AX, Netherlands
Tel: +30.6987211208

hopem
1/8/10

Cute and easy to use. The only downside is that it didn't work for me on IE but the firefox plug in worked like a charm. Could not go to any adult site or even sites that were more mature.

chriso1
3,068 helpful votes
10/2/09

Pretty neat, I installed the FF plug-in without any issues and ran FF in "child mode" long enough to ascertain that it's at least very hard to get somewhere naughty, if not impossible (and it may be impossible, I just didn't have the time to tell).

Not being a kid by a very long stretch of the imagination, I would need sunglasses to put up with the color schemes on offer. I can see a very young child being enticed, but my experience of kids of 9 or 10 and upwards is that they won't go anywhere near something that looks like it was designed for babies. If there's a more sober design that offers the same features, I didn't find one.

I have one little criticism, and that's because when I unlocked the "real" Firefox the browser window was messed up quite badly. I had no minimize/close buttons and about an inch of the bottom margin was lost. I had to close FF and re-open it in "adult" mode. I've seen this before though, when using F11 to open the FF window to full screen, so it's likely a bug with the FF interface rather than anything to do with the glubble plug-in.

I did try using plain old Google with it and immediately ran into problems that required adult intervention, so it may be that this browser is not intended to be used by children for long periods without an adult at hand to enter the password when required. Not being able to access Ebay at all would definitely have caused tantrums with at least one 10-year old I know. But any attempt to make the web safer for kids deserves appreciation and it looks like this one is still being developed, as any new app needs to be, given the speed at which the web is evolving.

Having been around the web a long time, I get skeptical when I hear of an idea which claims to solve one of the fundamental issues. But it does look like this application has a good claim to having tackled the issue of child safety. The one thing it cannot do, is to prevent your child from getting their information in other ways - from other kids, or from other parents and their computers, or by smart kids bypassing the protections on school computers. If you're a worried parent, you'll still have to be vigilant, but at least this will give you a breathing space when your kid is on their home machine.

tomc
10/1/09

great website for families! To the person who said the site wasn't downloading properly, it is a little complicated to install glubble. The download is a plug in for either firefox or IE. Sometimes on your browser you have to click "allow" to let the plug in install on your browser. It is a basic plug in and that is unfortunately how all plug ins work. If you are having a hard time installing the plug in, take a look at the upper right hand corner of your browser and look for directions on how to install.

carolinem
7/25/09

Based on the reviews and went to Glubble to quickly be disappointed that the download feature wasn't working. All that appeared was a Family Timeline activity web page that can be created and tweaked to your interest.

oscarj
7/25/09

Fairly simple to use internet browser for children. I am not sure why larger companies like microsoft or mozilla have not built something like this for their users. Children of all ages are using the internet now and could use their own browser. Glubble for now is the best one out there.

heatherb
7/24/09

Delete mozilla, delete IE, and only use glubble if you have kids. Make them see you are using it too or they will want to use what you are using. Encourage their friends and family to use glubble so they are not exposed to Regular browsers. This is one of the best ways of keeping our children safe online. (especially if you have curious boys....)

stacyt
7/14/09

My nephew was caught looking at some "adult" websites that other kids at school were telling him about (and he is only 10 years old) and that horrified my sister when other parents blamed her because their son heard about sex.com from her son. I found this site on the parenting section and Recommended it to my sister. They bought him his own personal netbook for $199 and installed only this browser. Funny thing was he initially was upset because he wanted to use google like everyone else and he had his own gmail account that he can no longer use on this site. So, while I can say this is a good browser for kids, it is better to start them using this rather than "taking away" IE or Firefox: kids are smart, they want the stuff adults use...they will not like their IE / google / gmail being taken away from them so if you have a child that is starting to use the internet, get them using this FIRST!!!

maryt1
7/12/09

Glubble is the only internet browser that my children are allowed to use. We went ahead and deleted IE off of their computer and they can only access the internet through the glubble browser. This way we know the only sites they can access on their laptop are safe and approved by Glubble.

Questions? Get answers from the Glubble staff and other customers.

Glubble?