Review of Gawker Media

Tel: 646-470-4295
features@gawker.com

andrewc110
11/21/15

Some sites are very good at hiding their bias. I mean, that you really have to be pretty seasoned to pick up that any give article is leaning this way or that. And that's good. It shows that they're at least trying to be non biased.
Gawkers is blatantly left bias. Articles, if you can call then that, read like they were written by activists or members of a student newspaper. Very amateur, even blatantly untrue and spun to fit an agenda.
Their commenting system is very antiquated and unsophisticated. The moderators of the comment section allow all manner of insult, yet edit out any right wing views.
I tested this when challenged by a friend who introduced me to Gawker. I posted a comment that I deliberately structured with a right wing slant, albeit, unoffensive, tame, and no foul language. And it wasn't accepted.
I tried three times on three accounts, with different right wing opinions. None were accepted.
So be aware that if you want balanced news, you would likely need to read Gawker News, then Fox News, and even then, you'd probably end up with no real idea of what the real truth of the story was.
My recommendation: Avoid.

jacekp1
3/23/15

Gawker is a media empire built around clickbait articles and generating outrage. It's all about recruting internet mobs and appealing to the lowest common denominator. It can be entertaining at times if you can stand their infinite smugness.

gregorya4
12/7/14

Gawker is corrupting internet jurnalism.

fernp2
9/25/14

I follow Gawker on FB, and for the most part I enjoy the articles. I do have a big problem with their left-side flyout which overlays the copy and makes it almost impossible to read or comment on articles.

antigonek
6/9/14

You know, I really like gawker. They tend to do a pretty good job covering whats going on in the world in a funny way. 4 stars because its a shade too liberal for my liking. (but only a shade! )

sheilam20
3/23/14

Pros:
-They have some really outstanding commentators/posters
-They have some really great writers (and some not-so-great writers)
-Updated several times a day so there is always fresh content; just scroll past the stuff you have no interest in
-Covers a wide variety of topics
-I like being able to star and reward the wittier commentators

Cons:
-The Kinja commenting system sucks
-It used to be easier to ignore the trolls and mouthbreathers
-Shouldn't be allowed to have burner accounts

Just to consider if you are on the fence:
-Gawker is liberal-leaning. It isn't really a problem for me, but a lot of people complain about it. Just be aware if you are a conservative/Republican.
-Very New-York centric (they are based in NY). Once again, not really a problem for me but be aware if you aren't really a fan of NY or NY news.

charlest26
3/4/14

I read Gawker about 20k times/day. I have actually exchanged emails a few times with several of the journalists there. They just seem to have their pulse on the most topical social themes and news stories at any given moment. They don't sugarcoat or dumb down anything for a mainstream audience. I think that is the main reason why they have broken so many significant stories over the years. The mainstream media doesn't really care what people actually think or want. Gawker does. That's why its great.

peterb64
12/21/13

'Sponsored' articles that look identical to real articles, insane vigilantly obsession with Rob Ford, and inaccurate/immature reporting. Not good.

stanp
8/18/09

I'm really sick of Gawker's tone. At first I found it funny, but now I just think it's rude. They don't seem to care about anything really. Just making people look bad for the entertainment of others.

chirstys
5/1/07

Gossip blog, anyone? - Gawker Stalker is sooo addictive. I wish I could follow celebrities around all day.

Questions? Get answers from the Gawker Media staff and other customers.

Gawker Media?