The Motley Fool

The Motley Fool

www.fool.com

The Motley Fool has a consumer rating of 4.19 stars from 154 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. The Motley Fool also ranks 2nd among Stock Research sites.

• For rule breakers and stock advisor: all positive.
  • Also, I should point out I am a stock adviser subscriber rather than a rule breaker subscriber.

• I am disappointed that my yearly membership fee only covers a small portion of their stock recommendations.
  • No wonder millennial are avoiding the stock market.
How would you rate The Motley Fool?

“Gain potential”

Diane M.
2/18/20

I have made money with some of the Fool's recommendations and wish I had followed some of their other recommendations. Bought DIS in low 30's but became impatient and sold way too early. I like that the Fools is about investing for the long term and not just speculative. My only gripe is the constant barrage of emails for the other investment types available. It is non-stop. Most are way out of my price range. Other than that I have benefitted from the Fool's advice for years.

“Terrible.”

Jessica A.
3/7/20

Joined, and got barraged with up-sells. Worse, the stocks recommendations seem to be written for teenagers. I feel there is very little research presented with each recommendation...I've seen FAR better data on why to buy a stock on Seeking Alpha by people who don't even own the stock. Most of the recommendations I've seen don't even provide the P/E, let alone the many other metrics by which one measures a stock.

stock advisor (21) rule breakers (7) stock recommendations (4) stock market (4) stock adviser (7) stocks (40) 3 years (3)
omarh62
February 9th, 2020
I like to see the perspectives of other pros when it comes to investing. I realize that the Fool is not a panacea for investing in stocks but definitely has some interesting view and ideas. I think at the end of the day one is ultimately responsible for his or her success in investments but the information from the Fool used properly certainly helps to stay on the road to success!
Thank you for the positive feedback!

If you’d like to learn more about the latest coverage of a particular stock, you can log into fool.com and use the “Search Ticker or Keyword” box in the upper left-hand corner. Simply type in the name of the company or ticker symbol and select it from the drop-down menu that will appear. This will take you to the stock’s “Snapshot page” – here, you will find a graph of the trends, articles, reports, etc.

Additionally, our Member Services department is available via phone or email to help answer questions about your services. Please reach out if there's anything we can do to help.

jamesc2004
February 27th, 2020
I am a trader with multiple years of experience and run a nice sized chat room and have many fantastic relationships with TD, Benzinga, Zach, etc. I signed up for Motley Fools Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers service as I was referred to them by many of my own paying clients. The next day i realized they were texting alerts to an incorrect number and I was receiving no emails. I phoned them and could not have been more shocked at how rude they were on the call with me. The money for the service is very low so this is more for principal. Both agents I spoke to had had very little knowledge of my issue nor did they even give me time to explain it. They both talked over myself, the customer, the entire time. Very young inexperienced personnel in my opinion. After my experience I sent a message to them and a so called "supervisor" replied that I was being refunded and no longer a part of the service. There was no cursing or anger it was simple criticism. Boy these millenials sure would not last very long in the wall street I was trained in. So moral of the story is do not disagree with the younger stuff or you will be cut off.
Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry to hear you were unhappy with your experience. We're very proud of our Member Services department - we feature a great team of Foolish representatives who handle thousands of emails and hundreds of calls every week. They help guide our members through their services, reset passwords, adjust email settings, answer a multitude of questions, and so much more.

I was able to look into your situation, as our calls are recorded. I'm sorry to hear your questions were not answered to your liking - it sounded like your investing style is more akin to day trading. At The Motley Fool, we are long-term investors. When we recommend a stock, we plan to hold that stock for a minimum of 3-5 years. We believe this long-term outlook, paired with a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks, is the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

A supervisor did reach out to you, and we cancelled and fully refunded both of your services. This was not because you disagreed with our representatives, but because of other factors. I apologize for any technical issues you encountered regarding the text feature or receiving emails. Our Member Services team would have been happy to look into that further for you, had your membership with us continued.

beverlys243
April 12th, 2020
Without the Motley Fool I would not have access to the information on companies that are young with great potential. I love being a shareholder in companies I believe in. But have no way to learn about the companies on my own or the expertise. They offer so much value to me and I have earned my yearly fee many times over. Very happy with their services!
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We appreciate hearing that you're enjoying our research and recommendations. If you'd like to learn more about the latest guidance for a particular stock, you can log into Fool.com and use the "Search Ticker or Keyword" box in the upper left-hand corner. Simply type in a company name or ticker symbol and select it from the drop-down menu that appears. This will take you to the stock's Snapshot page, which includes a graph of the trends, reports, articles, and the latest guidance for your service(s).

It sounds like you're building a diverse portfolio of companies you believe in, which is great! We encourage our members to build a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks that they plan on holding for a minimum of 3-5 years. We prefer to hold stocks in companies that we are confident in for the long term. It's our belief that a long-term outlook, paired with a diverse portfolio, is the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

dianem903
February 18th, 2020
Thank you for the positive feedback!
We're glad to hear you like our long-term approach to investing - when we recommend a stock, we plan on holding it for 3-5 years, minimum. We believe that a long-term strategy, paired with a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks, is the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

I’m sorry your experience with our marketing has been a frustrating one. Their job is to entice members to join our subscription services as they launch and promote their respective approach to investing. These offerings are not an upgrade to the subscriptions you are already utilizing and enjoying - they are simply different options that may, or may not, fit in with your investment journey. If you’re satisfied with the subscriptions that you own, that's wonderful! You don't need to change a thing.

If you're unhappy with the amount of emails you're receiving, we'd like to help you fix that! Simply log into fool.com, click on "My Fool" in the upper right-hand corner, and click on "Email Settings." This will allow you to adjust your settings to your desired preferences. Additionally, all of our marketing emails have an 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of the page.

If you have any questions regarding your service(s), need assistance navigating our website, or would like to share additional feedback, please reach out to our Member Services department - we're happy to help!

karend730
May 14th, 2020
I have never visited the website. I don't have much money. But I really enjoy the emails that are sent to me, and I have bought a few shares of stock based on your email recommendations, and they are doing well so far, which I truly appreciate. I believe there will be a day when I might inherit a large amount of money, but I think it's necessary to learn what to do before it happens. I have an account with Ameritrade, and when you guys make a recommendation, I look them up and decide if I can afford them. I wish I had pots of money sitting around, because I could have made a lot more money with The Motley Fool's recommendations. For now, I'll learn and watch my little dollars grow. Thanks for your help.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We're glad to hear you're enjoying our recommendations. It sounds like you’re building a diverse portfolio, which is great! We encourage our members to build a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks that they plan on holding for a minimum of 3-5 years. It’s our belief that this combination is the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

If you'd like to explore our website, our Member Services department would be more than happy to help guide you there. We feature a great team of Foolish representatives ready and able to help answer questions about your services. You can reach our them via the help tab on Fool.com or by phone.

roberth2010
April 17th, 2020
Since joining, I've had some hits and misses on some recommendations, but over all I managed to be ahead.
However, some of the up-sells were very annoying. The videos were mostly irritating designed to sell you more products or stocks that may or may not work. In the end, it's up to the individual investor to sort through the information being fed to you. Still, The Motley Fool is worth it, So, Fool on!
Customer S. – The Motley Fool Rep
Thank you for your feedback!

We’re sorry your experience with our marketing has been a frustrating one. Their job is to entice members to join our subscription services as they launch and promote their respective approach to investing. There is no singular investing strategy which fits the needs, preferences, and a reasonable fee ratio of all investors. In that vein, I want to reiterate that our many services are not upgrades of each other – they simply following different strategies and have different resulting risk profiles.

Since publishers like The Motley Fool are prohibited from personalized recommendations, we offer all of our various services to all members who have subscribed to receive promotions in the hope of finding a better fit for some. The fact that we offer other strategies to allow for different interests and investment styles does not diminish the quality of your service and its affiliated information.

It sounds like you're following our Foolish philosophy of building a diverse portfolio! We encourage our members to build a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks that they plan on holding for a minimum of 3-5 years. We believe this combination is the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

grantm117
March 8th, 2020
Like most people, I am so busy with my full-time job that I simply don't have the time I need to study and read about investing opportunities. As a member of The Motley Fool, I simply take the information they provide on a regular basis, I read it and decide which stocks to buy. The return on my portfolio has been tremendous. I do what the Fool tells me and it is working better than even I had hoped.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We're glad to hear you're enjoying our research and recommendations. If you'd like to learn more about the latest guidance for a particular stock, you can log into Fool.com and use the "Search Ticker or Keyword" box in the upper left-hand corner. Simply type in a company name or ticker symbol and select it from the drop-down menu that appears. This will take you to the stock's Snapshot page, which includes a graph of the trends, reports, articles, and the latest guidance for your service(s).

It sounds like you're building a diverse portfolio, which is fantastic! We encourage our members to build a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks and hold those stocks for a minimum of 3-5 years. We believe this is the best way to counteract a fluctuating market.

brucet127
January 11th, 2020
My Brother in law was in an investment group and they picked stocks, but did not actually buy any. He asked me for a stock recommendation for his game and Motley Fool recommended Shopify at the time. I told him that. He did not invest, but I put $20,000 into Shopify and now I have $47,322, which is 143% gain in less than one year.

Gain is good
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We're happy to hear you've made returns based on our recommendations. It's important to note, however, that the market has been near all-time highs recently, and it's impossible to predict how the market will perform.

Because of this, we recommend building a diverse portfolio of at least 10 to 15 stocks and holding those stocks for a minimum of 3-5 years. We find this is the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

If there's anything we can do to improve our services, please reach out and let us know.

jessicaa644
March 7th, 2020
Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry to hear you were frustrated by the amount of promotional emails you were receiving. Since publishers like The Motley Fool are prohibited from personalized recommendations, we offer all of our expanding and various services to members who have subscribed to receive promotions, in the hope of finding a better fit for some. Our many services are not upgrades of each other--they simply follow different strategies, and have different resulting risk profiles. At the bottom of every marketing email, there is a link to unsubscribe. Additionally, you can log into Fool.com, click on "My Fool" in the upper right-hand corner, and then click on "Email Settings." This will allow you to adjust your email settings to your preferences.

We appreciate your opinion regarding our analysis, but we respectfully disagree. When our analysts recommend a stock, they provide an abundance of information as to why they consider that company a buy. This information includes but is not limited to: a short summary of the company and what it does, a few bullet points as to why you should buy, key data about the company, potential risks, and much more. In addition to the short "minute summary" of a company, our analysts provide a more detailed report for why that company is considered a good buy.

Additionally, our members can also log into Fool.com and use the "Search Ticker or Keyword" box in the upper left-hand corner to read more about the latest guidance for a particular stock. Simply type in a company name or ticker symbol and select it from the drop-down menu that appears. This will take you to the stock's Snapshot page, which includes a graph of the trends, reports, articles, and the latest guidance for your service(s).

jd672
January 6th, 2020
I've been with Motley Fool for 10 years or so. In that time they have recomended a number of stocks that have tremendously added to my retirement nest egg!! Most of the picks recomended did very well. Although their 3D (DDD) recommendation I've been sitting on for 3 years waiting for it to break even. Hopfully it will before I retire. Even if it dosent I've made way more returns on their other picks than I've lost on this one. I highly recommend Motley Fool.
Customer S. – The Motley Fool Rep
Thank you for the positive feedback, and for being such a dedicated Fool!

It sounds like you've created a diverse portfolio - that's great to hear! We recommend that Fools have a diverse portfolio of at least 10 to 15 stocks, and that they hold those stocks for a minimum of 3 to 5 years. We believe it's the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

re121
May 20th, 2020
I've enjoyed learning more about stocks and businesses through the experience of Tom and David. I have purchased a couple of their recommendations that are doing well. But I would like to see some stocks that can be bought in at a lower price than the recommendations I've seen thus far. I'm not investing a lot, but steadily. Looking forward to the next year. But not interested in continuous up-selling.
johng2405
April 16th, 2020
For years, I had a big-name broker whose recommendations, in the end, lost a lot of money for me. I then tried to play the market by myself, until I realized (after losing lots of money) that I did not have the time, or the ability, to do proper research. I became wiser, though still poorer, when I took a chance with the Motley Fool. The name had turned me off for a long time, but its record of giving winning advice convinced me. Twelve years later, I rest easy knowing they my wife and children are secure through their old age (provided Trump does not get us into WW III. )
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We're sorry to hear you were turned off by our name at first - on our "About Us" page we explain why it was chosen. "Our name is in homage to the one character in Shakespearean literature — the court jester — who could speak the truth to the king and queen without having his or her head lopped off. The Fools of yore entertained the court with humor that instructed as it amused. More importantly, the Fool was never afraid to question conventional wisdom."

We're pleased to hear you're enjoying the research behind our recommendations. If you'd like to learn more about the latest guidance for a stock, you can log into Fool.com and use the "Search Ticker or Keyword" box in the upper left-hand corner. Simply type in a company name or ticker symbol and select it from the drop-down menu that appears. This will take you to the stock's Snapshot page, which includes a graph of the trends, reports, articles, and the latest guidance for your service(s).

peterm1148
May 24th, 2020
I am new to investing and use various free websites for choosing stocks, I choose mostly companies that provide something i am interested in. However i joined Motley Fool back in April as it was reasonably priced and I have enjoyed using their Stock Adviser service to pad out my portfolio since. I haven't invested in every recommendation, just selected the ones i liked the sound of.

I have started following my stocks for an hour or so a day (because i have the spare time obviously at the moment (COVID19)), this is an eye opener and a good way to see how things work. I did panic a few times and sell unwisely, but i am now calmer with it and will hold for the Medium/Long term as the Fools recommend.

Yes you do get quite a few emails to start with about other services, which did make things a bit confusing and annoying to start with, but now i've sussed it and understand how they work (i'd rather have the emails and the opportunity they offer than not and go it alone). They are a business after all.

For me it works, i'm currently up on the stocks that they have recommended, i also understand that next week i could be down, but its 5 years down the line that counts.

I like the Motley Fools and would recommend them, I now subscribe to another of their services and may consider more in the future.

Hope all that made sense.

Peter Martin
lauriea98
April 7th, 2020
I really enjoy subscribing to the motley fool but get either invitations for additional programs or for very interesting articles.

The offers for new services are very interesting but the cost is prohibitive for average users, especially ones whose income has dropped due to retirement.

The extra articles offered seem like they are available under the advisor but I can never find them. I get soooooo frustrated.

Other than those points, i love motley fool.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We’re glad you’ve found a selection of Motley Fool services that appeal to you - though we certainly don’t expect members to purchase every strategy on offer! There is no singular investing strategy which fits the needs, preferences, and a reasonable fee ratio of all investors. Our many services are not upgrades of each other --they simply follow different strategies and have different resulting risk profiles.

Since publishers like The Motley Fool are prohibited from personalized recommendations, we offer all of our services to members who have subscribed to receive promotions in the hope of finding a better fit for some. The fact that we offer other strategies to allow for different interests and investment styles does not diminish the quality of your service list and its affiliated information. If you no longer want to receive these promotional emails, we'd like to help you fix that! At the bottom of every marketing email, there is a link to unsubscribe. Additionally, you can log into Fool.com, click on "My Fool" in the upper right-hand corner, and then click on "Email Settings." This will allow you to adjust your email settings to your preferences.

We're sorry to hear you're having a hard time navigating our website and finding reports - please reach out to our Member Services department at MemberSupport@fool.com. We feature a great team of Foolish representatives ready and able to help guide you through your services. You can also reach our representatives via the help tab on Fool.com or by phone.

lindal1300
May 14th, 2020
I've been a Motely Fool customer since 2008 and believe Stock Advisor was my very first subscription. One of the stocks I hold was recommended and purchased in 2012. It has increased 2,204.83%! Of course, I picked some stinkers along the way. Looking back those poor choices resulted in not following their advice. I'm a fool for life.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We’re glad to hear you’re following our Foolish investing philosophy! It’s our belief that a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks, paired with a long-term investing outlook of at least 3-5 years, is the best way to counteract a fluctuating market.

thomask622
February 20th, 2020
I've received very valuable insights and stock picking advice from the motley fool stock adviser service. The only thing I wish they would bring back is the stock tracker service, I looked at it religiously every day. I have not been able to find anything else that comes close and I feel a little blind without it.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our advice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the Scorecard tool. Due to the troublesome data issues, we made the difficult but necessary decision to remove the tool from our site. As a result, we encourage our members to track their returns through their brokerage accounts.

gloriad113
January 23rd, 2020
You have to be prepared to win some and lose some when taking the advice of anyone, even Tom and David. I susbscribe because it helps me think outside of the box when looking for some individual stocks, but there are too many sub-sites that require separate payment. Either you are helping people invest or you are trying to gouge them for money. You need to decide. Also, when you are introducing something, these 10 minute videos that say nothing for 9.5 minutes are too annoying to listen to. You should get to the point and say whatever it is you have to say. All that hemming and hawing around makes me shut it off and not even hear the message.
Thank you for your feedback.

We feature a number of free articles on Fool.com to help our members - or potential members - who may be new to investing. You're right - not every stock will be a winner. We have a Performance page within Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers which shows how our recommendations have fared against the S&P 500. That's why we encourage our members to build a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks. Although our analysts do extensive research and analysis before recommending a stock, it's impossible to predict how the market will perform.

Although we offer many services at The Motley Fool, we don’t expect members to purchase every service as it becomes available. There is no singular investing strategy that fits the needs, preferences, and provide a reasonable fee ratio for all investors. In that vein, I want to reiterate that our many services are not upgrades of each other--they simply follow different strategies, and have different resulting risk profiles. Since publishers like The Motley Fool are prohibited from personalized recommendations, we offer all of our expanding and various services to members who have subscribed to receive promotions, in the hope of finding a better fit for some. The fact that we offer other strategies to allow for different interests and investment styles does not diminish the quality of your current service list and its affiliated information. If you would ever like to discuss your current services, or potential other offerings, and are unsure of any potential overlap - please don’t hesitate to reach out to Member Services via the help tab on Fool.com. We feature a great team of Foolish representatives ready and able to guide you through your service(s).

Thank you for your feedback regarding our video presentations. We appreciate hearing how we can improve our services.

jeffreyb609
February 8th, 2020
I have not seen or subscribed to a better subscription. I've canceled any other subscriptions. I have alway been happy with your recommendations and made good money. Thank You for all your advice over the past many years!!!!
Thank you for the positive feedback!

Should you ever have questions about your service(s), please reach out to our Member Services department. We feature a great team of Foolish representatives ready and able to guide you through your paid information. You can reach us via the ‘help’ tab at the top of fool.com if you find that you encounter difficulty in locating a particular piece of information.

jayh409
January 18th, 2020
For rule breakers and stock advisor: all positive. My portfolio is crowded with stocks I've bought because of them. I recommend those two services to everyone who's curious about what advice service I use.

For options: not so much. I was pleased for 3 years. But in 2019, the trade alerts from the options service withered away to almost nothing. One of the advisories said that after the beginning of the years trade alerts would resume. But still, almost nothing. I wonder what it is I paid $1000 for? I now recommend against the options service.
kimberlyr461
May 1st, 2020
I'm just getting started and learning so much about the stock market from Motley Fool. They've taken the fear away and given me confidence to invest.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We're glad to hear that our services have given you the confidence to invest. After all, our purpose is to make the world smarter, happier, and richer! If you'd like to learn more about the latest guidance for a particular stock, you can log into Fool.com and use the "Search Ticker or Keyword" box in the upper left-hand corner. Simply type in a company name or ticker symbol and select it from the drop-down menu that appears. This will take you to the stock's Snapshot page, which includes a graph of the trends, reports, articles, and the latest guidance for your service(s).

markf860
February 10th, 2020
Chris Hill - podcast GOAT! Chris orchestrates a revolving cast of characters providing a good mix of levity and insight to complex subjects.
Thank you for the positive feedback!
I've passed along your kind words to Chris Hill personally. For others interested in our podcasts, they can be found here: https://www.fool.com/podcasts/

If you have any questions regarding your service(s), need assistance navigating our website, or would like to share additional feedback, please reach our to our Member Services department - we're happy to help!

johnp2682
April 29th, 2020
Pretty good stock picker for amateurs. Nothing special or technical.
Investors Business Daily or Zack's probably gives better picks.
Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry to hear you aren't particularly pleased with our stock recommendations. If you have any questions regarding your subscription(s), need assistance navigating our website, or would like to share additional feedback, please reach out to our Member Services department - we're happy to help! You can reach our representatives via the help tab on Fool.com or by phone.

nicholasr358
December 19th, 2019
Great service with easy to understand analysis of their recommendations. I have been using Stock adviser for years, and have great returns to show for it. I don't have the time to find great stocks like these on my own, but SA makes it easy with plenty of recommendations each month. My only wish is that I could go back in time and follow their advice more often - I would have done even better.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our services, and that you find the information easy to understand. We aim to provide information that will help everyone - from the novice to the more experienced investor.

dons564
May 23rd, 2020
I'm made significant profits on your recommendations of Dexcom, Shopify and, more recently, The Trade Desk and Zoom Video.

Additionally I really like the daily presentations on various topics through the use of Zoom. Only frustration I've had is I can't seem to get Zoom to work in the way it is designed so I connect through my browser for my viewing. This has been a minor restriction since my browser lets me watch and listen to the presentations.

Overall I've very happy with the service which I've demonstrated by my recent renewal fo Stock Advisor.

Thank you Motley Fool for giving me the information platform and service to improve my investment performance

Don S.
emanueleb7
March 1st, 2020
I am a Fool since 1994 and this is my second three-year renewal of my fool one membership. Thanks to Fool One advice I made many times over my membership fee.
Customer S. – The Motley Fool Rep
Thank you for the positive feedback, and for being a long-time Fool!

We're glad to hear you've made those returns so far using our recommendations. It's important to keep in mind, however, that the market has been near all-time highs recently, and it's impossible to predict how it will perform. Because of this, we encourage our members to build a diverse portfolio of at least 10-15 stocks and to hold those stocks for a minimum of 3-5 years. It sounds like you follow our Foolish philosophy already, and that's great! We believe this combination is the best way to counteract the whims of the market.

Ashley

I use both - they take a different approach and are complementary

By Phil B.