ECPI University

ECPI University

ECPI University has a consumer rating of 1.79 stars from 38 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about ECPI University most frequently mention community college problems. ECPI University ranks 175th among Colleges And Universities sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 14.3%

No positive highlights yet

• Please go to community college a lot more cheaper and more competent instructors and department heads
  • I graduated from ecpi and every interview I went to never heard of the school!
How would you rate ECPI University?

“Convenient Degree”

Jacob T.
2/1/21

I got my degree in Mechatronics Engineering. School is kind of overpriced, but if you're working full time like I was, it's a good school. I liked that it was all online and year-round accelerated. My company paid for a good portion of it and I was able to complete 80% of my homework during downtime at work, which was a huge plus for me. Noticed people complaining, mostly because they obviously didn't graduate and that's kind of on them. If you're not currently working, you're better off at state schools/community college to save money. But if you're someone like me who has a decent paying job that you don't want to lose in order to pursue an education, want a degree quickly, and just needed a piece of paper to help you improve your career, this might be a good school for you.

“Do not use your GI Bill at this school!”

Brian H.
1/17/20

If you were in the military, this school will steal your benefits money and then set you up to fail at the end. They actually do not want you to graduate because that is part of the scam. Any complaints will backfire and they will blame you for random things. If somehow you do graduate, the degree is basically worthless when compared to a public university education. Advise: Go to a state school and stay far away from this sham institution.

community college (6) school (20) students (9) student loans (3)
brianh980
January 17th, 2020

arielo4
December 30th, 2015

I'll start off by saying that the teachers and staff are very helpful and positive. I honestly learned a lot even in such a fast pace environment. However, DO NOT believe that they will help you find a job. I'm over a year out with no career in my field yet. I tried to get help through career services and the best she could do was help me create a LinkedIn profile. So now I stress on how I will pay this expensive school back with no IT job to show for it. Going here is a gamble. It's only worth it if you have a guaranteed position waiting for you upon graduation.

morganb201
June 27th, 2020

First let me say I'm empathetic to the people who haven't got the best from this school. I loooooove ECPI I went for my Practical Nursing degree and it was very challenging but definitely doable we started out with many and ended few but if you're dedicated and driven you will do just fine. I'm going back now for my associates in engineering and shortly after my Bachelors. You'll be AIGHT

rekitac
November 18th, 2019

Got all the way through the RN program had one class left and was accused of cheating by an LPN teacher who had no evidence or proof, coincidentally there were no cameras to pull from this particular classroom and they took her word against mine (of course). I'm now in debt from student loans with no degree to show for it and no "real" answers as to why. I would hate to say it was racial discrimination but I know Caucasian people who were actually caught red handed but were allowed to stay enrolled.

jp1100
December 22nd, 2020

I'm an LPN in the LPN to Rn transition program. When I went to ECPI I felt like I was on a used car lot and my advisor was a used car salesman trying to sell me an education. I would t recommend this school at all. I'm very happy in my decision in the school I chose. This ecpi is a joke. I was a CNA when I looked at ECPI. The advisor comes at me with his fancy jewelry cheap Cologne and I'm like damn this is a school?

tonyc427
February 27th, 2020

If you choose this school to be prepared for all types of stuff. Its culture prejudice, the most teacher is unqualified to teach the course, so you not taught, you either teach self or get peer help. Teachers don't even stay employed that's about fairness. Board of nursing comes to this place but I wonder how they slip through the cracks with this stuff. Listen people are not on here lying at all. This is not right for people who go in debt to go to school to get a degree. Once you sign that dotted line, you obligated to that loan, so you have to go if not it's like you are given free money and no they don't only charge you for what time you went but the entire tuition. Now if you can deal with these types of things be my guess. I wish the Board of nursing will read these reviews to cause a change. Im praying for change admittedly.

michaell3457
May 7th, 2021

Worse experience ever. I felt they were satisfied more that I because they got my money and I got nothing in return.

They attempted to make what should have been in person at school virtual. Worse ever.

anthonyr570
July 11th, 2020

I was a student for about a couple months and just walked out when I found out a class I was taking was using the book twice in two different classes and charging 1000 dollars for each class... I went to the financial Dept to resign out of the college and they tried to then tell me I owed them which I didn't. Lucky I didn't but that same day I went and enrolled in Community College then graduated 4 years later and now I have a great career in IT and I have never looked back since. Please stay away from ECPI especially if your in the Military I saw a lot of kids get there GI Bill stolen. Oh btw they will steal your financial aids refund check too I seen it happen bad school seriously.

genesisn5
July 15th, 2021

$30,000 in debt for my accomplishments to be unrecognized. I only went to school for 1 month in person and then COVID happened and everything happened virtually. "Hand on" experience was taken away for me ( which I understand due to COVID). When I finished my externship I was lost of what to do next. I had to email my advisor like 3 TIMES and when I got her attention she tells me that I graduated and my diploma will be sent thru mail. My ass is in hella debt for paying their asses to ignore me. I feel like my work their has gone unrecognized and I didn't even have a graduation. How come I graduated but feel so unaccomplished?!

nahwharel
March 1st, 2021

I am watching my daughter struggle with this school, this school is the absolute worst, I was worried abt her returning to ecpi after her LPM. They don't give a damn, they make new rules as you go and you are forced to sign them or they will not allow you to continue your classes. I watch my daughter cry, study from night to morning to take a test that they are constantly changing, they MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOU FAILING! My daughter is not a A+ Student, but she has a drive. She's at the end one more class to go, that class is put on hold because she can't seemed to pass a practice test that she has to write by hand 45-50 pages on that test before taking it, what time do you have to study? Ecpi will not destroy my daughter's dreams without a fight so help me God, it is abt time they are exposed. Started doing my homework on them as soon as my daughter against her better judgements re-entered. I give up my job, home to move here to support my daughter and all I'm seeing is a school with a bullied agenda. The worst school folks read the reviews, students reviews. Don't go to that ecpi!

lisas2688
April 19th, 2021

Let me make this perfectly clear. I never attended this school but I worked at the Orlando/Lake Mary campus so have a great understanding of what was occurring behind closed doors, therefore I'm relaying my personal experience. When making a decision to spend so much money with the hope of a better future, I would think it important to know with whom I'm dealing with on all levels. But let me stress, this is my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt. If it doesn't matter to you how others are disrespect and bullied behind closed doors... things you don't see... then this information probably doesn't matter to you and that's fine. I just feel lead to tell my story.

I was bullied and verbally abused both covertly an then full throttled openly by several employees on numerous occasions and witnessed the now current Director of Admission have crying jags multiple times for initially getting past over for a promotion. She constantly complained that she was lied to by upper management and complained of how bad she had been treated. That was her excuse for her unprofessional behaviors anyway. I also was subjected to a screaming and complete meltdown, foot stomping tantrum by this now DOA... I mean SCREAMING tantrums, and as God is my witness, still to this day have no clue why. I just sat there with my mouth wide open initially thinking it was some kind of joke. It wasn't. I also witnessed several employees abuse another new managerial employee they made very clear they had no respect for and was treated very poorly but he can speak for himself. I'm just still in shock that it was allowed to persist. Absolutely no intervention from upper management. Apparently this was OK because after numerous complaints to the Campus's President and HR, it was never fully addressed nor resolved.

When hired, I had over 10 years admissions experience and a college degree, but by complete accident discovered a new hire with no admissions experience and only a HSD was making significantly more salary. I mean A LOT more salary than I. I am female... he was/is male. Regardless, if sexual discrimination had anything to do with it I'll never know. I was then and now also what might be referred to as a senior. I was 62 then, I'm 64 now. I'll never know the reasons for this discrepancy in pay and if age had anything to do with it, but it is a tad bit suspect. It's discrimination no matter what the reason.

My treatment by these employees caused me such significant distress I actually sought medical care in the form of psychiatric help. I guess since it's been 2 years since this occurred, I'm still suffering PTSD or I would not take the time to discuss nor admit to the ill affects it had on me mentally and physically. My total health suffered.

Also again by complete accident I discovered that there is a possibility that a through background check on at least one of their employees may have been looked over. I consider a charge of battery a serious charge, however I do not claim to know the court's decision on this matter so that may have been why it was overlooked, however I would consider it a red flag and in this day and age even the slightest suggestion of violence is a serious matter. Maybe aggressive behaviors were this persons norm so therefore explains bullish behavior towards me and others. At one time bankruptcy and being sued for non-payment by banks and other establishments was an employment consideration. It was explained to me that employers consider that if a person did not have control over their own life and respect for their own financial obligations, it showed bad judgement. That may not be the case at ECPI however. I don't claim to know what HR looks for in candidate, but being a decent human being does not seem to be high on their list.

I feel the Campus President should have interceded after the first incident of verbal disrespect but that did not happen. It's documented though and he was made well aware this incident occurred, and let it continued. Lack of a backbone? That's my only guess why he refused to intercede. The whole situation mystifies me to this day.

I think the nursing education is probably OK or at least average. I never had a bad interaction with any of the educational staff and found them quite pleasant. Anyway, you decide if this is the right school for you. I walked out the door for my own well-being after a little less than 2 years. I could not take the stress and had to go out on disability. I have additional physical problems that caused this disability that nothing to do with the treatment I was subjected to at ECPI Orlando/Lake Mary so I'm not blaming them solely for my condition, but it certainly made an already bad situation worse.

Why these people chose to bully, verbally abuse and disrespect others is still a complete mystery to me. They only thing I can come up with is that they were threatened by those that had more education in some instances and years more experience of the admissions process therefore making them feel less valuable. Jealousy? I honestly don't know why we were treated so badly.

If you feel I'm writing this as a disgruntled ex-employee you are 100% correct. I'm truly amazed these behaviors were allowed and even rewarded. It still boggles my brain. It's your money, your education and your future.

Tip for consumers:
Be very careful when it comes to your education. Know to whom you are dealing with and take customer service into consideration. I can attest that behind the admissions scenes you are just a butt to fill a seat. That is where their interest in you ends.

Products used:
I worked there so therefore personal experience

jarede10
May 18th, 2018

They treat complaints with disciplinary actions against you. And you have reason to complain. The vast majority of classes are not at college level and those that are only happen to be because one or two professors go far beyond the curriculum. The classes are almost impossible to transfer, so once you're in it's difficult to leave without starting over from scratch.

danal268
April 24th, 2021

While attending ECPI University's Online computer science program, I filed a written affidavit against faculty members Tara Clark, Dr. Gary Mansi, and Terri Gilbert. The body of the complaint was based on erroneous grading practices that neither reflected the policies, rubrics, or written standards of the University. The faculty at the CIS department conducted a judicial review board on zoom. During the proceedings, Teri Gilbert, on behalf of Tara Clark and Dr. Mansi, levied up charges against the plaintiff unrelated to the matter. The written affidavit with physical evidence and a timeline was submitted to the office of the vice president of ECPI, Shelia Sweeney. Who disrespected the party seeking redress by misspelling their name and made no effort to follow up. As of today these serious matters having legal significance in both civil proceedings court and SACS COC, the organization that backs ECPI's accreditation, have not been addressed at any level within the ECPI hierarchy. A recent experience with Dr. Adam Harris in a networking class illustrates how terribly unfair and academically unsound ECPI's CIS classes are. Dr. Adam Harris refuses to grade assignments in his class per the specifications of the published rubrics. This practice equates to a totalitarian environment that allows the Professor to arbitrarily grade assignments with no basis in any established academic criterion. Dr. Harris, quoted as saying that "everything is ok in his class as long as it's his way." Concerning creating a healthy learning environment, I would say that his classes are hostile, disrespectful, and poorly thought out. A Dr. Adam Harris CIS class is a Masterclass in passive aggressivity and backstabbing.

jacobt152
February 1st, 2021

Products used:
Degree

hunterj12
September 10th, 2019

If you ever have any kind of crisis such as your Mother having Opening Heart Surgery, A Death in the family or even a freaking hurricane wiping out half of your family (Hurricane Dorian to be exact* don't expect ECPI to care. If your ready to go from a A+ student to a D- in 0.5 seconds because you could not make one day of class due to a family emergency or make a payment because you had to send your money to your family that had been affect by a hurricane then ECPI is not the school for you. Never in my life would I ever think a school could be so cruel and inhumane as ECPI. I would never recommend anyone go to this school!

rm191
November 4th, 2017

ECPI is a fraud. Quality of students they admit is bad. It's not possible for any student to concentrate for more than an hour. Class time at ECPI is 5 hours. The way this fraud continues is by making real bad students think they are learning as they pass exams. If a teacher would give them an exam comparable to other colleges they will all fail. They come to ECPI knowing full well it's federal grant money so students want a free degree without studying paid by federal tax dollars.

alinas39
April 12th, 2019

Jim Olson is willing to have Dean's List students indefinitely suspended by just saying "you know what you did and we won't tell you what you did." The school is filled with liars and cheats. Mr. Sullivan and John Olson are willing to **** you over.

dunthyons
July 24th, 2019

I went into ECPI for Mechanical Engineering (as it's put on their site), but I realized after 2 months that it was MET instead. More digging and I realized they aren't ABET accredited, so their entire engineering program is worthless. Finally, I asked for a bachelors which they agreed to, then sneakily signed me up for an associates which I had to dig through their clunky site or old emails to find out about. Not to mention their very poor professors who towards the end of my stay got worse and cared far less. There was also never any calculus, or any classes one could call worthwhile. When transferred to ODU, almost every class counted as an elective credit, not a direct equivalent to anything. I feel lied to and used, and I'm just glad i got out before the debt got really nasty.

Oh, and the final email about class action suits isnt very comforting.

mikeyj6
September 27th, 2019

Started with 13 at the beginning of the term only 5 passed. Extra assignments and project given to compensate first test of term in which no one passed. Lots of changes made in the middle of the term without notification or explanation to students. Students complain to don that instructor was just reading power point slides and not teaching materials. Don stated that instructors aren't there to teach but to facilitate. Told students they would not be failing if they had read their books. Final exam grades only included 95%of the test and then 5 points were given for a project after students were told that they would be given 10 points on exam grade to compensate for project. Hours spent studying for don to micromanage final grades to her choosing and everything promised to students was a lie. 8 out of 13 failed due to not receiving credit for assignments that had been completed and having an instructor who didn't know the material. They are all worried about nclex pass rates and don't care about helping students. I guess the easiest way to increase nclex pass rates is to choose who goes forward and who gets set back. The class ahead of us only had 3 students pass. Guess they're not really worried about student retention and graduation rates. Just worried about getting our money and then getting rid of as many students they can to improve nclex pass rate. I do not recommend this school to anyone. They just keep you stressed out and take your money. A year of my life and around 40000 I'll never get back.

gingerg19
September 13th, 2018

I graduated from ECPI in 2014. Yes, the school is expensive I agree with everyone on that however, I had a great experience at the Manassas, VA campus.

I paid a lot of money for my AAS in Surgical Technology but my degree opened many doors that I could not knock on without the degree.

ECPI is what you make of it. The pace is fast and the type of school schedule is not for everyone. I used the school to my benefit knowing all along it was expensive. If I was younger at the time I may have considered a certificate program but no school at that time in Virginia offered it.

If your serious about a future in Surgical Technology and are willing to pay the tuition I'd recommend the school. Everyone in my class that I graduated with has done well and making more than double if not more a year than the cost of the tuition.

I am glad I went to ECPI but I truly feel the school in general is overpriced. A frind of mine son went to ECPI at the Manassas, VA campus and now has an excellent job in the IT field. Again, it's what you make of it. You have to work hard and give up a normal life while attending due to the rigorous pace. I would do it again though because it paid off for me. I have worked at some of the nations best hospitals because of my degree.

I do get how some are displeased with the school but I feel its what you want from a school and what you do with your degree when you finish. I feel overall the school is good. As I said, my degree and certification from the NBSTSA opened up opportunities for me that would have never been possible without my degree at ECPI. Without my degee I could have never sat for national certification with the NBSTSA. ECPI was my ticket to sit for the national examination. Look up the NBSTSA and do the research. No hospital will hire any Surgical Technologist without their certification. The NBSTSA only works with accredited schools and ECPI is accredited. Without a degree or completion of certification you will not be allowed to sit for the exam. Google jobs for a CST and every hospital will want a completion from an accredited school and certification through the NBSTSA. Without these two things you won't be able to work in ANY operating room at any hospital or surgery center.

If your serious, determined and want to be successful then you will succeed at ECPI. For me, it was worth the money HOWEVER the tuition is excessive though. I make more than my total tuition now in less than 6 months. Weigh your pros and cons and consider that before you go. Also, be willing to work hard. I believe everyone can have the same outcome as I did if they are determined to succeed.

scottm671
April 15th, 2019

They try and push courses on you that you don't need. I would probably have to say the worst part about the them is just how unprofessional they are. You are better off going to a community college.

faithr20
August 19th, 2018

This college is full of liars and cheats. You will be treated as nothing but $$$ because that's all you are them. You and your education don't matter to the staff at all. It is a waste of time and money. 36k for the LPN program more things should be cover but you will spend an extra 2000 grand out of pocket and they will drag their feet on scholarship until you either don't get them or they will refuse to refund extra money to you and will decide what loans they want to apply it to without even asking you and that will be after they take you banking information with the lie that you money will be refunded to you. Please do yourself and your wallet a favor don't go to ECPI.

markitar
October 22nd, 2019

Wanted to share my story with everybody about my experiences with ECPI! I am no longer in there program due to missing 1 day of clinical! After which I was brought in office by the president and the new dean that started at this school 5 days prior to this happening that because I failed prior classes(mind u I brought those grades to A&Bs and hadn't failed a class since as well as my GPA WAS ALSO AT A B+ average)... they didn't think I was suitable for this program! DID I MENTION THAT I WAS ONLY 2 CLASSES AWAY FROM GRADUATING WITH MY LPN LICENSE! THEY DIDNT GO TO MY TEACHERS TO EVEN ASK WAT TYPE OF STUDENT I WAS OR NOTHING! When asked what was my options both went silent and told me I could start over in another program but would still have to pay whatever the lpn program was costing as if I graduated and the fee of the next program!

IM NOT LOOKING FOR NO SYMPATHY OR NO PITY PARTY FROM ANYONE! I JUST WANT MY STORY TO BE TOLD SO OTHERS CAN BE AWARE! Don't get me wrong it's a great and easy way to get ur foot in as a nurse but ECPI UNIVERSITY IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! THERE IS NO TYPE OF FLEXIBILITY FOR WORKING ADULTS AT ALL!

theresah58
August 22nd, 2017

I have been trying to get contact on faculty at ECPI. Websites show NO e-mail/phone/faculty profiles. I've called 3 times, no luck. Call 1: The girl hang up on me stating she was there to enroll students ONLY. Call 2 - was sent from Raleigh campus to Charlotte campus... message said that there is no valid mailbox for the phone number I was transferred to. Call 3: After obtaining the Charlotte desk (thru the internet), I called them. Sent me to another mailbox that went to an actual voice mail. Maybe this will lead to me obtaining the information I need.

karinar10
March 30th, 2017

I graduated from the dental assitant program but I shouldve dropped out two weeks after enrolling in this school. DO NOT believe the comments that are titled IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE or dont listen to the ones that paint a picture of a helpful staff and a school that provides resources for you, especially of you are miltary. Those posts are from people who are paid to change ECPIs reputation. Run far away from this school. I regret and all my classmate friends regret going here. They did not prepare us for the real world but taught is with outdated equipment and instructors who should not be teaching. The mods are 5 weeks to learn detailed and complicated information. U will NOT remember everything and it will bite you in the arse when u have to do internship. Speaking of poor preparation... before i went to my internship site, i was supposed to reciew procedures with my instructors the week before. Do u know what they did? They left me in a room with a textbook... that was it. They didnt even realize i had left after a few minutes. The staff doesnt care a out you. Id gotten into it with the folks in financial aid because they were just as flippant and one lady had the nerve to throw an insult at me. Seriously? She blamed me for not being able to make my payments and even THOUGH they say they will set up a payment plan, that is FALSE. The payment plans ate more loans you have to pay back. Ive been told i had taken a class when i never did and the incompetence and miscommunication by the staff is embarrassing. Not to mention the school is EXTREMELY expensive. The cafe food is expensive as well. You will have to work 8-5 for your internship for 2 months and it will ALL BE UNPAID.

My advice to u is look elsewhere, heed my warning and just go to a community college.

No IT is just as bad, if not worse. It is an evil school.

By Alina S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ECPI University staff and other customers.

ECPI University is an accredited college offering accelerated associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs with the flexibility to fit your life.

mikeg124
Mike G.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ECPI University?

Have a question about ECPI University?