ECPI University

ECPI University

ECPI University has a consumer rating of 1.88 stars from 34 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about ECPI University most frequently mention community college problems. ECPI University ranks 142nd among Colleges And Universities sites.

No positive highlights yet

• Please go to community college a lot more cheaper and more competent instructors and department heads
  • I graduated from ecpi and every interview I went to never heard of the school!
How would you rate ECPI University?

“Convenient Degree”

Jacob T.
2/1/21

I got my degree in Mechatronics Engineering. School is kind of overpriced, but if you're working full time like I was, it's a good school. I liked that it was all online and year-round accelerated. My company paid for a good portion of it and I was able to complete 80% of my homework during downtime at work, which was a huge plus for me. Noticed people complaining, mostly because they obviously didn't graduate and that's kind of on them. If you're not currently working, you're better off at state schools/community college to save money. But if you're someone like me who has a decent paying job that you don't want to lose in order to pursue an education, want a degree quickly, and just needed a piece of paper to help you improve your career, this might be a good school for you.

“Do not use your GI Bill at this school!”

Brian H.
1/17/20

If you were in the military, this school will steal your benefits money and then set you up to fail at the end. They actually do not want you to graduate because that is part of the scam. Any complaints will backfire and they will blame you for random things. If somehow you do graduate, the degree is basically worthless when compared to a public university education. Advise: Go to a state school and stay far away from this sham institution.

community college (6) school (20) students (9) student loans (3)
brianh980
January 17th, 2020

arielo4
December 30th, 2015

I'll start off by saying that the teachers and staff are very helpful and positive. I honestly learned a lot even in such a fast pace environment. However, DO NOT believe that they will help you find a job. I'm over a year out with no career in my field yet. I tried to get help through career services and the best she could do was help me create a LinkedIn profile. So now I stress on how I will pay this expensive school back with no IT job to show for it. Going here is a gamble. It's only worth it if you have a guaranteed position waiting for you upon graduation.

karinar10
March 30th, 2017

I graduated from the dental assitant program but I shouldve dropped out two weeks after enrolling in this school. DO NOT believe the comments that are titled IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE or dont listen to the ones that paint a picture of a helpful staff and a school that provides resources for you, especially of you are miltary. Those posts are from people who are paid to change ECPIs reputation. Run far away from this school. I regret and all my classmate friends regret going here. They did not prepare us for the real world but taught is with outdated equipment and instructors who should not be teaching. The mods are 5 weeks to learn detailed and complicated information. U will NOT remember everything and it will bite you in the arse when u have to do internship. Speaking of poor preparation... before i went to my internship site, i was supposed to reciew procedures with my instructors the week before. Do u know what they did? They left me in a room with a textbook... that was it. They didnt even realize i had left after a few minutes. The staff doesnt care a out you. Id gotten into it with the folks in financial aid because they were just as flippant and one lady had the nerve to throw an insult at me. Seriously? She blamed me for not being able to make my payments and even THOUGH they say they will set up a payment plan, that is FALSE. The payment plans ate more loans you have to pay back. Ive been told i had taken a class when i never did and the incompetence and miscommunication by the staff is embarrassing. Not to mention the school is EXTREMELY expensive. The cafe food is expensive as well. You will have to work 8-5 for your internship for 2 months and it will ALL BE UNPAID.

My advice to u is look elsewhere, heed my warning and just go to a community college.

morganb201
June 27th, 2020

First let me say I'm empathetic to the people who haven't got the best from this school. I loooooove ECPI I went for my Practical Nursing degree and it was very challenging but definitely doable we started out with many and ended few but if you're dedicated and driven you will do just fine. I'm going back now for my associates in engineering and shortly after my Bachelors. You'll be AIGHT

pennyh
March 23rd, 2011

The tuition is insane. They tell you that student loans and grants are going to cover your fees, and then they tell you later that you still owe them money. Worse, good luck finding a job when you tell your employer this was your school.

My brother tried going to this school and then I joined soon after. I quit when he told me nobody was hiring him. Do yourself a favor, read the reviews about this school using google and see for yourself.

jamesl370
February 8th, 2018

I really enjoyed my experience. Very different from the community college. Lots of labs, focused degree, and great classmates. I was nervous at first but they made the process easy. Thanks to their career services department I landed my first career and just bought my first home

rekitac
November 18th, 2019

Got all the way through the RN program had one class left and was accused of cheating by an LPN teacher who had no evidence or proof, coincidentally there were no cameras to pull from this particular classroom and they took her word against mine (of course). I'm now in debt from student loans with no degree to show for it and no "real" answers as to why. I would hate to say it was racial discrimination but I know Caucasian people who were actually caught red handed but were allowed to stay enrolled.

jp1100
December 22nd, 2020

I'm an LPN in the LPN to Rn transition program. When I went to ECPI I felt like I was on a used car lot and my advisor was a used car salesman trying to sell me an education. I would t recommend this school at all. I'm very happy in my decision in the school I chose. This ecpi is a joke. I was a CNA when I looked at ECPI. The advisor comes at me with his fancy jewelry cheap Cologne and I'm like damn this is a school?

jacobt152
February 1st, 2021

Products used:
Degree

christyb68
November 4th, 2018

I am in the RN program at ECPI. I love it. I disagree with its a waste of time. Ive been in the medical field for 20yrs now. I chose this school because it had no waiting list, small classroom size, and it now offers BSN and MSN. It is accelerated- 5 weeks.No sugar coating. This is not for everyone. But it can be rewarding.
You will need a financial plan. But you need one at any 4 year college. I searched for grants, loans, scholarships, and assistance. I looked everywhere. I was able to find a partnership scholarship, tuition reimbursement through my employeer, and an additional scholarship. The offer a graduating scholarship your last year also. Google and look everywhere. Check your banks, employers, etc. Sometimes they will have a scholarship. Do your research and homework.
I would just say make sure you are committed before coming to this program. Make sure you can make the sacrifices needed to succeed. Be proactive. Before the first day of class I have already skimmed and read the book, made outlines, and studied. You get out of it what you put in it.
I love this nursing program.
Christy

tonyc427
February 27th, 2020

If you choose this school to be prepared for all types of stuff. Its culture prejudice, the most teacher is unqualified to teach the course, so you not taught, you either teach self or get peer help. Teachers don't even stay employed that's about fairness. Board of nursing comes to this place but I wonder how they slip through the cracks with this stuff. Listen people are not on here lying at all. This is not right for people who go in debt to go to school to get a degree. Once you sign that dotted line, you obligated to that loan, so you have to go if not it's like you are given free money and no they don't only charge you for what time you went but the entire tuition. Now if you can deal with these types of things be my guess. I wish the Board of nursing will read these reviews to cause a change. Im praying for change admittedly.

anthonyr570
July 11th, 2020

I was a student for about a couple months and just walked out when I found out a class I was taking was using the book twice in two different classes and charging 1000 dollars for each class... I went to the financial Dept to resign out of the college and they tried to then tell me I owed them which I didn't. Lucky I didn't but that same day I went and enrolled in Community College then graduated 4 years later and now I have a great career in IT and I have never looked back since. Please stay away from ECPI especially if your in the Military I saw a lot of kids get there GI Bill stolen. Oh btw they will steal your financial aids refund check too I seen it happen bad school seriously.

nahwharel
March 1st, 2021

I am watching my daughter struggle with this school, this school is the absolute worst, I was worried abt her returning to ecpi after her LPM. They don't give a damn, they make new rules as you go and you are forced to sign them or they will not allow you to continue your classes. I watch my daughter cry, study from night to morning to take a test that they are constantly changing, they MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOU FAILING! My daughter is not a A+ Student, but she has a drive. She's at the end one more class to go, that class is put on hold because she can't seemed to pass a practice test that she has to write by hand 45-50 pages on that test before taking it, what time do you have to study? Ecpi will not destroy my daughter's dreams without a fight so help me God, it is abt time they are exposed. Started doing my homework on them as soon as my daughter against her better judgements re-entered. I give up my job, home to move here to support my daughter and all I'm seeing is a school with a bullied agenda. The worst school folks read the reviews, students reviews. Don't go to that ecpi!

gingerg19
September 13th, 2018

I graduated from ECPI in 2014. Yes, the school is expensive I agree with everyone on that however, I had a great experience at the Manassas, VA campus.

I paid a lot of money for my AAS in Surgical Technology but my degree opened many doors that I could not knock on without the degree.

ECPI is what you make of it. The pace is fast and the type of school schedule is not for everyone. I used the school to my benefit knowing all along it was expensive. If I was younger at the time I may have considered a certificate program but no school at that time in Virginia offered it.

If your serious about a future in Surgical Technology and are willing to pay the tuition I'd recommend the school. Everyone in my class that I graduated with has done well and making more than double if not more a year than the cost of the tuition.

I am glad I went to ECPI but I truly feel the school in general is overpriced. A frind of mine son went to ECPI at the Manassas, VA campus and now has an excellent job in the IT field. Again, it's what you make of it. You have to work hard and give up a normal life while attending due to the rigorous pace. I would do it again though because it paid off for me. I have worked at some of the nations best hospitals because of my degree.

I do get how some are displeased with the school but I feel its what you want from a school and what you do with your degree when you finish. I feel overall the school is good. As I said, my degree and certification from the NBSTSA opened up opportunities for me that would have never been possible without my degree at ECPI. Without my degee I could have never sat for national certification with the NBSTSA. ECPI was my ticket to sit for the national examination. Look up the NBSTSA and do the research. No hospital will hire any Surgical Technologist without their certification. The NBSTSA only works with accredited schools and ECPI is accredited. Without a degree or completion of certification you will not be allowed to sit for the exam. Google jobs for a CST and every hospital will want a completion from an accredited school and certification through the NBSTSA. Without these two things you won't be able to work in ANY operating room at any hospital or surgery center.

If your serious, determined and want to be successful then you will succeed at ECPI. For me, it was worth the money HOWEVER the tuition is excessive though. I make more than my total tuition now in less than 6 months. Weigh your pros and cons and consider that before you go. Also, be willing to work hard. I believe everyone can have the same outcome as I did if they are determined to succeed.

jarede10
May 18th, 2018

They treat complaints with disciplinary actions against you. And you have reason to complain. The vast majority of classes are not at college level and those that are only happen to be because one or two professors go far beyond the curriculum. The classes are almost impossible to transfer, so once you're in it's difficult to leave without starting over from scratch.

heatherk4
March 21st, 2011

The classes you take are not transferable to other schools. So you will owe thousands of dollars in student loans, and you won't be able to get the prospective job you were seeking.

The tuition is insane. They tell you that student loans and grants are going to cover your fees, and then they tell you later that you still owe them money. Getting an online degree I thought was going to be easy and useful but instead going to an online school is worse than attending a real school.

hunterj12
September 10th, 2019

If you ever have any kind of crisis such as your Mother having Opening Heart Surgery, A Death in the family or even a freaking hurricane wiping out half of your family (Hurricane Dorian to be exact* don't expect ECPI to care. If your ready to go from a A+ student to a D- in 0.5 seconds because you could not make one day of class due to a family emergency or make a payment because you had to send your money to your family that had been affect by a hurricane then ECPI is not the school for you. Never in my life would I ever think a school could be so cruel and inhumane as ECPI. I would never recommend anyone go to this school!

johnb514
January 3rd, 2016

I was stuck in a phone support job that gave me a little IT experience but not enough to get an actual job. Finally I asked a recruiter what can I do to get into IT and she said she places ECPI University graduates all the time. So I checked at the Concord campus and found that the Charlotte campus would be closer to my work. The tuition was less expensive than UNCC plus ECPI had full time night classes.

I won't sugar coat it, going to going to school full time and working full time was hard. A lot of people cannot handle it and really do not want an IT career. That's why you see negative comments about teachers being useless, because, it IS and accelerated degree. (You get a 4 year bachelor degree in 2.5 years) and some people go into ECPI thinking it's going to be handed to them. It is not. You have to earn it. It's year round, no Christmas breaks and no spring breaks. And it is worth every penny and every minute of your time.

I was about half way through my bachelor degree when I started interviewing and I got a position at Vanguard (the investment company) based on the experience I learned at ECPI. I graduated a year and a half later and sent resume's to 4 specific companies and within a week, I had 4 interviews, 4 call backs and had my choice of companies.

None of this would have happened if I had not enrolled and stuck to my classes at ECPI University. If you are thinking about an IT career this probably isn't for you. But if you know you want a career in systems admin, network admin, network security, then this is the school for you.

patb15
October 2nd, 2012

I started off just getting IT certifications while I was in the military. I came back to get my bachelors and was happy to hear that they discount certification cost for a select few of COMPTIA AND MICROSOFT certs($20). Ive seen two types of students within the classes that I have attended. The one that doesnt show up and the one that showed up early. If you are not ready for a 5 week term and you dont have the discipline to focus on school, then I wouldnt recommend it. I really enjoyed the fast pace because it allows you to complete things early as possible to start on your career path. They also accreditted some of my military experience! =)

rm191
November 4th, 2017

ECPI is a fraud. Quality of students they admit is bad. It's not possible for any student to concentrate for more than an hour. Class time at ECPI is 5 hours. The way this fraud continues is by making real bad students think they are learning as they pass exams. If a teacher would give them an exam comparable to other colleges they will all fail. They come to ECPI knowing full well it's federal grant money so students want a free degree without studying paid by federal tax dollars.

alinas39
April 12th, 2019

Jim Olson is willing to have Dean's List students indefinitely suspended by just saying "you know what you did and we won't tell you what you did." The school is filled with liars and cheats. Mr. Sullivan and John Olson are willing to **** you over.

dunthyons
July 24th, 2019

I went into ECPI for Mechanical Engineering (as it's put on their site), but I realized after 2 months that it was MET instead. More digging and I realized they aren't ABET accredited, so their entire engineering program is worthless. Finally, I asked for a bachelors which they agreed to, then sneakily signed me up for an associates which I had to dig through their clunky site or old emails to find out about. Not to mention their very poor professors who towards the end of my stay got worse and cared far less. There was also never any calculus, or any classes one could call worthwhile. When transferred to ODU, almost every class counted as an elective credit, not a direct equivalent to anything. I feel lied to and used, and I'm just glad i got out before the debt got really nasty.

Oh, and the final email about class action suits isnt very comforting.

mikeyj6
September 27th, 2019

Started with 13 at the beginning of the term only 5 passed. Extra assignments and project given to compensate first test of term in which no one passed. Lots of changes made in the middle of the term without notification or explanation to students. Students complain to don that instructor was just reading power point slides and not teaching materials. Don stated that instructors aren't there to teach but to facilitate. Told students they would not be failing if they had read their books. Final exam grades only included 95%of the test and then 5 points were given for a project after students were told that they would be given 10 points on exam grade to compensate for project. Hours spent studying for don to micromanage final grades to her choosing and everything promised to students was a lie. 8 out of 13 failed due to not receiving credit for assignments that had been completed and having an instructor who didn't know the material. They are all worried about nclex pass rates and don't care about helping students. I guess the easiest way to increase nclex pass rates is to choose who goes forward and who gets set back. The class ahead of us only had 3 students pass. Guess they're not really worried about student retention and graduation rates. Just worried about getting our money and then getting rid of as many students they can to improve nclex pass rate. I do not recommend this school to anyone. They just keep you stressed out and take your money. A year of my life and around 40000 I'll never get back.

scottm671
April 15th, 2019

They try and push courses on you that you don't need. I would probably have to say the worst part about the them is just how unprofessional they are. You are better off going to a community college.

markitar
October 22nd, 2019

Wanted to share my story with everybody about my experiences with ECPI! I am no longer in there program due to missing 1 day of clinical! After which I was brought in office by the president and the new dean that started at this school 5 days prior to this happening that because I failed prior classes(mind u I brought those grades to A&Bs and hadn't failed a class since as well as my GPA WAS ALSO AT A B+ average)... they didn't think I was suitable for this program! DID I MENTION THAT I WAS ONLY 2 CLASSES AWAY FROM GRADUATING WITH MY LPN LICENSE! THEY DIDNT GO TO MY TEACHERS TO EVEN ASK WAT TYPE OF STUDENT I WAS OR NOTHING! When asked what was my options both went silent and told me I could start over in another program but would still have to pay whatever the lpn program was costing as if I graduated and the fee of the next program!

IM NOT LOOKING FOR NO SYMPATHY OR NO PITY PARTY FROM ANYONE! I JUST WANT MY STORY TO BE TOLD SO OTHERS CAN BE AWARE! Don't get me wrong it's a great and easy way to get ur foot in as a nurse but ECPI UNIVERSITY IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! THERE IS NO TYPE OF FLEXIBILITY FOR WORKING ADULTS AT ALL!

No IT is just as bad, if not worse. It is an evil school.

By Alina S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ECPI University staff and other customers.

ECPI University is an accredited college offering accelerated associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs with the flexibility to fit your life.

mikeg124
Mike G.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ECPI University?

Have a question about ECPI University?