Review of Duolingo

Pittsburgh, PA 15232
gina@duolingo.com

snezas
5/27/19

I've been learning Spanish on Duolingo and I highly recommend this great website for two purposes:

- language learning - as I've worked a lot as Italian prof and English teacher, I can assure you that Duolingo's approach is on point! Gradual introducing of new content and rich practicing experience is exactly what you need to get familiar with a new language

- brain practice - every new learning experience is great for exercising of your brain's neuroplasticity (the ability of your brain to change and improve) - you'll become more focused, more resilience and better in decision making

Just choose the language that you'll have fun learning.

william6
5/25/19

think it's a Nice Place a Nice Education n also With A Nice Team Work , Thankyou so Much for Teaching All Of People around the World

kiraj3
3/14/19

The app is very organized and makes learning new languages easy. It go so far as to test how much you know to determine what's practice and what's new for you. ( If you so choose ) The app lets you join in " clubs/clans " with people learning the same language(s). You can ask questions and comment on other posts. Your acheivements will be shared. There are games and questions posted by Duolingo that make it just that more fun. Overall the app is amazing. My only negative/complaint is that I wish that it had almost all languages. It has around 20ish. But that's something I hope to see from them in the future.

kalina18
1/22/19

I work with French people at my work. I didn't understand a single word when they talked to me. But thanks to Duolingo I can communicate better. Duolingo is indeed a helpful tool to learn a new language. It's easy to use and the results are seen right away. I use the free version. The only thing I don't like is the ads, but they just pop when you finish a lesson.

blakev8
12/1/18

I am currently using Duolingo for Czech and Dutch. Mind you, I speak both languages and I've been looking for a program that would help me refresh what I know. So when I found Duolingo, I was pretty excited. I'll go over some of my points to highlight the pros and cons of Duolingo.

- Interface. Personally, I think Duolingo has a fun user interface that allows for easy navigation for new learners. This also brings me to the layout. Each language has a "tree" which contains all the lessons Duolingo has to offer. You start simple with greetings, but this progressively turns into forming full sentences.

- Price. Duolingo is totally free of charge.

- Language diversity. Duolingo has many languages that range from Spanish to Klingon. What's great about the site is that you can add as many courses as you like for free.

- Feedback. Duolingo has a great feedback system in that it shows you what you missed on the translation. It has you correct the sentence at the end of the lesson. The great thing about this is that if you don't do this, you're unable to move on to the next lesson.

- Teaching. Personally, I'm iffy on this point. Duolingo does introduce an extensive amount of vocabulary to new speakers, but what it doesn't do is teach you the grammar you need to know to use that vocabulary.

I can conclusively say that I recommend Duolingo. It's fun to learn from and is user friendly. However, I wouldn't solely rely on Duolingo to learn a language. Some great sites I've found over the past year are FluentU articles, IWillTeachYouALanguage and some other ones I'll list below for reference.

*The pictures below show the extensive amount of languages Duolingo has to offer. These are the results for courses specifically for English speakers.*

chloer20
9/20/18

I've learned German with Dualingo for a while. I must admit that it this experience was ok but not really great. It's better to take courses or hire a tutor. Learning with this online service would mostly appeal to kids as they like listening to music and fill in the gaps, watch videos etc. To sum up, I didn't get the knowledge I've expected.

mihailn
9/6/18

As I am not a native English speaker, I was looking for a great English learning service. Now I am satisfied with exercises, topics, all other technical issues. Many thanks

barryp49
8/31/18

I use services like Duolingo to recommend to my students. Its really nice and very useful, its funny and interesting. And the coolest thing your studying isn't so boring as it can be sometimes!

lilliap
2/5/16

amazing

veronicas39
1/3/16

I'm learning Norwegian.
The site is interesting, and the points and daily counter does add a game-like feel and makes you want to return.
I like that there's various types of practices and it's not just matching pictures with words. The little info portions of each lesson are good.

My only complain is that they ran some things too deeply into the ground.

kevinm113
3/22/15

I am not quite sure why Duolingo changed their format regarding the amount of
''skill points" from 10 to 3 for lessons already learned. Via E-mail Duolingo incites competition between users stating " X person has x amount of points, are you just going to sit there ?" It seems incomprehensible to work so hard for so little ! This sounds a little " Big Brother-ish " to me , where DL is monitoring what we do and how we do it. Why not raise the skill points for new lessons to 15 and leave the lessons learned @ 10 ? Too much work for just 3 SP's.

johnb353
2/18/15

i noticed not long ago that i cared more about some of the characters in my game and their visually tracked progress mostly in part of a formulated concept that makes me invested in these characters. i broke my gaming habit to develop better habits like reading and designing and general learning. I heard duolingo mention in a speech by bill gates and thought, if its gotten that much buzz it was probably something to at least check out. so its free and uses the game layout to make myself interested in my own skills and development/progress, a much worthier cause and better use of these manipulation systems. I hope to see this site develop further and possibly get involved with the community and want more company's like this helping people develop skills.

sineadk
7/31/14

Duolingo is an amazing language learning site that integrates the writing, listening and speaking elements of a language all into step-by-step progressive topics.

Unlike most sites it does not use a flashcard learning method and has it's own unique style that makes learning a new language fun!

It focuses not only on learning new vocabulary but also helps by focusing on grammar (which has helped me a loooot!) :P and if you don't understand something there is a comment section where you can converse with other users and figure out where you went wrong.

The reward lingot system is also very great for motivation. The discussion and immersion tabs are also very fun for connecting with other people and learning the language.

This site is also completely free which only makes the site even better!

There are currently very few languages that can be learned but they cannot be faulted for that as they are a generally new site and they are currently processing many more languages to come in the next few years.

The style and layout of the site is fun and easy to navigate. It looks very appealing and is easy to navigate.

Overall the site deserves every one of these five stars. It has helped me not just learn but understand the language in a way that other sites have failed.

I would really recommend this site to everyone who wants to learn a foreign language. :)

valarief1
5/17/12

Duo lingo is a lot of fun! Learning languages can be hard, but with this website it makes it so much easier. I would recommend them, especially since it is FREE!

It's free. Other platforms offer you free services until a specific level. Duolingo doesn't do that. You can remain as a free user all the time.

By Kalin A.
Questions? Get answers from the Duolingo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Duolingo