Couchsurfing.org

Couchsurfing.org has a consumer rating of 1.87 stars from 46 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Couchsurfing.org ranks 21st among Rental Homes sites.

No positive highlights yet

• I do not want these people to message me again, but cannot get them to stop
How would you rate Couchsurfing.org?

“I came to London”

Erica A.
7/22/18

I stayed with Chiara, and Lorenzo. They were such great hosts from making me feel welcome, to great conversations; and great food! I had a great experience with couch surfing, and recommend it to anyone!

“Scammers”

Georgy P.
6/29/21

Couchsurfing robbed me. I was sure I was making a card verification transaction, but I didn't notice a price in LIGHT GREY COLOR on the last screen. These scammers took ridiculous amount of money for that stupid green check mark in my account. When they refused to cancel my payment, I promised to write negative feedback wherever I can. Hell, with covid and stuff, these guys seem to have nothing to lose.

people (15)
georgyp3
June 29th, 2021

Couchsurfing robbed me.

Tip for consumers:
Be very careful and not introduce your card information

Products used:
I ended up making a totally useless purchase by mistake, and they refused to cancel my transaction

haileyb78
August 31st, 2021

-5 stars

I am honestly SO MAD

They have been scamming people with the "lifetime verification" they did not say that I would be charged $87 CAD until after the fact.

Please, please, please use another platform.

If you have also been scammed out of money... you can file a report through your country's department of consumer protection or go through small claims.

don't use this site.

eduardor52
September 14th, 2018

I had a recent issue where i tried to help someone on couch surfing that was desesperately looking for a host, i tried to help her but her response wasnt nice and i replied, she bullied me posting a reference and in the public forum, and turned out its a FAKE profile. And yet despite 3 different stranger people messaged me to support, Couchsurfing dismissed my inquires, and ignored to really address the situation.

randye6
March 5th, 2013

CouchSurfing might not be perfect but how else can you get a free place to stay when you're traveling? I feel like the worst part is that some of the community members are a little flaky. So sometimes when you think you've got a great place to stay, it turns out that you don't. I don't think it's anyone's fault... the community has a lot of great generous people, but I just think it's the nature of the beast. Overall Couch Surfing is an amazing concept and I would recommend that everyone try it once.

ericaa46
July 22nd, 2018

juliew27
September 3rd, 2017

Half the time it has been fun and good to Host. The other half the time has been a pain with immature, dirty and dishonest moochers. I suggest that you NOT host unverified surfers. One had good reviews, but was unverified and it was a royal pain. Didn't want to explore outside the house. Up all night. All the lights on. Totally Messy. Ill-fit. Make sure the surfer is mature and has a clue how to be a decent guest would be my advice.

maggiey17
February 22nd, 2021

Couch surfing scammed me through verification. I thought they were just going to confirm my identity and I was not informed I was getting charged $60 until it was too late. Now they are refusing to refund me. They ruthlessly robbed me in the middle of a pandemic! They are criminals!

endrep
September 1st, 2019

About 1 hour ago i created a new page at couchsurfing and verified my account with payment 325 Turkish lira. A few minutes ago my page got banned for no reason. This is fraud! I want them to either lift my ban or refund my payment for verifying my account.

jodit21
June 17th, 2018

Hey charge me every year even though each year I cancel my membership and deactivate my account. I have to dispute the charge each year with my bank. They dont even have my current bank card on file but are still able to charge me. I now have to change my bank to get away from them. They make it impossible to contact them. I stopped using their services years ago. Dont sign up! You will be charged by then forever!

josew15
March 6th, 2018

I know Flickr has been the biggest photo sharing website popular to photographers. I'm a casual photographer and I had to sign up for this when I took a course in digital photography. First, I'm not too happy about having to sign up with Yahoo just have to a Flickr account. It's like what Google pulls people to do with having a Gmail and a Google Account.

Second, the navigation is complicated and confusing, in my personal experience. It's really hard to navigate and the batch organizer looks really outdated. It's like you could go to the same page in two different ways for no reason. Deleting photographs or editing data on it is hard to find and also could be done in multiple obscure ways.

I'm deleting my account right after my photography course is over.

angelosc1
November 5th, 2014

One of my favorite sites. Host and get hosted. Travel and meet people. Meet interesting people in your community. It is a great way to travel and meet people by getting hosted. Host people to get to know interesting persons. I am almost 10 years member in this site. Unfortunately now it grew so big that a lot of people who do not share the hosting idea are members, however the concept is still great.

patv24
February 28th, 2018

During the registration, they stated that it would be faster if users provide a valid government ID, social media account, bank account, email address, phone number, home address etc. They charged $60 without my authorization so I am disputing with Paypal.

jayp104
October 31st, 2017

It's a great idea, but in practice, especially when you're new (& male), it's difficult to find hosts. I'm a liberal / friendly guy but I've been declined again & again. I have 200 facebook friends, but hardly any who use CS, so I have no references... & apparently most men only host women, most women don't host anyone, and the few who do would never host anyone without a dozen references lol. You can get "verified" -- but it's $84 & i'm not sure how much it would help. I'll keep trying but so far, it's been disappointing :(

specialkk
October 10th, 2010

I heard about couch surfing as an alternative to staying in hotels about a year ago via a few friends who have tried it and have had some great experiences. I have not tried it myself YET as I am chained to my desk right now working on multiple projects that don't allow my body to enjoy the rambling gypsy life my imagination has concocted for me, BUT I would love to try it, even if only to San Diego or San Francisco (which are close to Los Angeles, where I live). It is a wonderfully organized and maintained site with feedback from the "stayers" as well as "stayees" that could really make a believer out of even the most synical, and I dig the site so much, I thought it would be worth putting up and letting you all take a gander at it yourselves. Here are some cool stats about the whole "couch surfing" craze:

CouchSurfers 2,249,718
Successful Surf or Host Experiences 2,514,459
Friendships Created 2,607,269
Positive Experiences 4,169,459
Countries Represented 237
Cities Represented 78,818

Let me know if any of you try it and what you thought. Yay to new ideas and adventures!

thadm22
July 9th, 2018

They claim to be verifying your account and then you find out they stole $60. What a scam. I've reported them to Paypal.

kaseyb21
August 11th, 2019

This website has taken money from me and refuses to provide me with a refund. This website is a total scam and would warn others to stay away!

kevinl151
February 24th, 2017

Don't ever give them your credit card information. I did my mistake and lost $26 memembership fee. You can never ever get a couch from their hosts. They seem to be fake hosts.

johnk96
November 10th, 2013

If you know how to select the right people, it's one of the best ideas on internet!

andrewm246
September 16th, 2017

Signed up and was deceived into becoming verified, I assumed it was like airbnb where they wanted details for verification but was sneakily charged $84, will never use this site again

andrewg67
October 29th, 2015

Couch Surfing can be really cool. I've stayed with two nice people and had a really great guest stay with me. But lately I've been getting 2-3 requests a week from backpackers wanting free accommodation. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't just totally ignore me when I respond to their messages with information about how to get to my house and some ideas for things they might like in my local area. I put effort into responding to their requests and they never let me know whether or not they are going to turn up, leaving me keeping nights free for them and then discovering they don't bother.

Dear Couch Surfers - Have some courtesy to potential hosts. Tell us if you are not going to turn up.

Do I recommend it - yes, with caution.

cintyab
January 23rd, 2014

Cool web-site to meet locals. I have made many friends all over the world..

dearc
February 1st, 2018

The app says click here to get verified. Then they secretly charge you $84. Total utter scam. X

simonj48
October 27th, 2017

A site like Couchsurfing, which was once a good site to meet new cultures, couldn't get any worse than this. I highly recommend that you stay away for your security because of dozens of men who would send horny messages just because you are a girl.

The site itself also charges as much as 50$ without your permission. Couldn't get any worse than this indeed.

Beware

maggiem18
September 1st, 2016

While Couch Surfing (the system itself, not the website) got a friendly write-up in The New Yorker, their writer was lucky and fooled at the same time. My one actual surfer -- I'm not looking for a place to stay myself -- was a fraud, using a friend's name. I might have been raped and murdered, and not necessarily in that order. Soon after, two women called from the road (I-40) and announced that they were one their way. No you're not! Horrible experience. I asked them to remove my name, but now I see it is linked with CS when I Google myself. You've been warned!

kn125
May 31st, 2017

I went on a trip and used couchsurfing thinking it was like airbnb or something just to travel make friends maybe exchange stays but the first person I stayed with was OK but didn't really make friends and it was awkward as I didn't know what to expect. Then I stayed with a guy that ended up being really bad won't even put everything on here but he was drinking doing drugs talking about the girls he has been with from there and about prostitution etc I didn't want to go anywhere else after that but did finally end up meeting a good host that was friendly and then in Canada I met an awesome host that didn't harass me at all showed me around and made a great friend I hope to exchange time with. I met others that were trying to harass women or get something from them take advantage of someone. You really never know until you meet a person and it all depends on the person and host. For women some men try to come on to you or sexually harass you or assault you so be careful and if you can find a women then stay there probably safer.

As usual this is there attitude

By Moataz S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Couchsurfing.org staff and other customers.

Couchsurfing is a vibrant travel community of over 14 million locals and travelers. Use Couchsurfing to find accomodations, meetup with nearby locals and travelers, discover the best things to do, or find travel advice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Couchsurfing.org?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

1.9
Have a question about Couchsurfing.org?