Common Sense Media

Common Sense Media has a consumer rating of 1.78 stars from 36 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Common Sense Media most frequently mention non profit problems. Common Sense Media ranks 51st among Internet Safety sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 10.5%

No positive highlights yet

• Just read their negative latest review on 'Brian Banks' from Common Sense Media.
How would you rate Common Sense Media?

“Good data for parents”

Kian A.
10/29/20

While I don't always agree with the age ranges of the reviews, common sense does a good job of showing why they gave a piece of media the rating. It allows us to make smarter choices for our kids

“Unbelievable that this site pushes all the backwards garbage that it does.”

Amanda D.
11/6/20

After reading some of the movie reviews on shows I've already watched I was genuinely horrified at the content descriptions. "The " positive " themes contain sexism against males, which isn't at all positive." - comment in relation to a character that went through a bad breakup with an abusive (male) partner. The reviews on there play like a long list of angry church moms and bitter dads.

sense media (0)
ethie
July 11th, 2021

Common Sense Media has, on multiple occasions, over-rated thing, countless video games rated 17 and 18+ Most of them being rated by a government organization (the ESRB) as E10+ or T. And they straight up lie about content, adding random things to up the age rating to fit their agenda, absolutely bulls**t. Do not use. (Also even though they claim to be a non-profit, they blatantly charge you money to read more than 3 "reviews", and you can even read them again) Again, DO NOT USE.

Tip for consumers:
Do not use this site. It’s a scam

Products used:
Reviews

amandad584
November 6th, 2020

jc1243
September 13th, 2020

They complain when a girl has too big of a chest or when one character drinks beer. The whole website is laughable. They don't give any insight to the plot, I don't even get why parents trust this website. They even bashed spongebob, the most innocent show out there. The "expert reviewer" doesn't even watch the whole show. For example, they said Fairy Tail (an anime) had no moral lessons and showed seduction and violence. It's pretty clear that they don't watch at least a few episodes and make a review right off the bat.

Tip for consumers:
Just don’t use it. It’s not trustworthy. As you can see from the photos, they dared to say Spongebob Squarepants is violent

matejs25
February 27th, 2021

They betrayed me, I cannot return, I am locked by them, They do not wanna Let Me Go, that means, I had just 3 Revies allowed and Now I must pay for More, They live from Our Money. She Was in Beldam World 3 Times, And I has three reviews and Not I am Fired off. Mother$#*!ers, I now must pay for premium for month or year If I want to Stay. They Are Toxic and Evil, They takes our monay, they really do not wanna help us

kiana11
October 29th, 2020

larap35
July 30th, 2020

I read Ms. Schonfeld's review of 'Slamma Jamma' and you can pull your hair out. The film is a beautiful portrayal of a man searching for Christ. She obviously doesn't get it. But why would she? She's never directed or written a film in her entire life. Her gravestone will read: "I'm a movie critic and I'm better than all the directors, writers and producers combined. I'm a movie critic." You laugh. What parent tells their children to someday grow up to be movie critics?

daddyw1
January 5th, 2021

Forget about getting and use out of this so-called non-profit unless you pay for a "plus" membership. Unbelievable that you are limited to 3 "free" reviews a month. Very disappointed in this formerly useful service.

Write them and complain.

Products used:
Google

jesser2
July 11th, 2016

In nearly every situation, Common Sense Media provides well-written yet succinct critiques of movies, games, music, and even websites. Unlike most other "family review" sites, they do not have an extreme Christian bias and will review any movie with an open mind. They give two ratings... one is mostly for parents, which is the recommend age for the movie.

It is very detailed and not just a rating like PG or PG-13... they will specifically explain that one movie is good for 11 and up and another might be 14 and up.

I do have one minor issue with them... they decided to give the website HomestarRunner.com a score of "15+", implying that the site would be inappropriate for anyone under 15. While I do agree with the 4/5 they gave for H*Rs quality... the fact that they think that the Brothers Chaps mostly harmless collection of flash cartoons is only for older teens and adults makes me wonder if they even watched them.

But besides that whiny rant, I actually enjoy using this site to see what they think of things. They can be trusted in most cases.

jackl371
April 7th, 2020

I usually write pretty thorough reviews, but for this site, there's not much to say about it. For one, it used to be good. Then they over exaggerated everything to the max. Most critics on Common Sense Media don't even have kids, miss obvious details in every game, movie, or book, and if they even held it, they didn't finish it. If you go on this website, only look at the kid reviews. The parents are just as overprotective as the critics. The kids are the ones who experienced it. They will tell you what you want. It's also full of spam...

stephenj603
May 23rd, 2021

CSM is a poorly strung together reviewing site full of misunderstood/unreliable critics that can't review anything correctly regardless of what it is. I personally think it wants parents to be overprotective and overly cautious when it comes to their children on the internet, and that is not right. Please do look at my photos of three different ratings. SpongeBob and Invader Zim were once my childhood. (And Invader Zim has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.) How can they give 2 children's TV shows 3 stars and Borat 2, which is full of sex and crude humor 4 stars? This is B. S. I suppose their very generous rating is 3 stars for most, and if it's out of this world, it's 4 or 5. CSM tries to be as critical as they can in providing their reviews, always inserting some text in the description that gives it a downside, like the repetitive use of "iffy content" in reviews. Parents and all who plan to use this mess of a site, please stand clear of it. You should not believe a word that comes out of the critics' mouths, however, I can assure you that the audience will be more in depth and truthful with their reviews. But that doesn't stop me from staying away from this site.

Tip for consumers:
Don't think about using it; keep riding along the Internet for a better review site.

amandah863
September 21st, 2020

This website is garbage because they put age ratings too high and believe that media actually influences non-mentally ill children. "Oh noes, there was a kissing scene! No child should ever see a kiss!" The most stupid one is "consumerism." They give shows bad reviews because they make merchandise. Beyblade got 2 stars because you can get them at the store, regardless of the quality of the show. They put "language" as words like "idiot, stupid, dumb." The critics are all dumb. They like to say something is bad because it's for older people. They are just soccer parents that don't know about entertainment.

rjm37
May 14th, 2021

LISTEN! SAYING THE WORD POOP DOESNT MAKE IT 18+ OKAY? SANE PEOPLE KNOW THAT! BUT THE IDIOTS ON COMMONSENCEMEDIA ARE JUST DUMB! LIKE 5 PEOPLE SAID PEPPA PIG SHOULD BE 18 AND UP! AND BEVERLY HILL CHIHUAHUA IS NOT RACIST!

men17
April 24th, 2021

They used to be a good resource but now they are trash. I supposed they must have gotten desperate for money and started selling positive reviews for stuff that is absolute trash that no parent would actually want their kids to watch.
They claim their methodologies are backed by science but all of their sources are special interests, not actual unbiased science and statistical analysis.
Note the movies common sense media loves are all hated by parents and the positive reviews by kids are obviously not actually written by kids.

janes976
February 4th, 2021

What a joke. I won't be using this site anymore. IMDb has a decent enough parental guide, and oftentimes is more detailed. In fact, there have been several times where this site's reviews were simply inadequate, leaving out crucial information a parent would want to know. And now they want to lock them behind a paywall? Don't use this site.

tracye1
January 12th, 2013

This is my go-to site for checking out video games for my son. He is past the "games" age and into "gaming" -- however -- I am still the parent and I get final say. This site really helps parse through games with skill, education, language, violence & sexual content, ease of play, privacy, etc ratings.

They also review (and you can add your own reviews!) of movies, apps, books, games. Excellent source!

roccob43
July 7th, 2021

Every TV series or game seems to have been reviewed by $#*!s who haven't played or seen it.
My parents don't use it but it's better this way, any reference to sex or blood is considered 18+ and I wonder why.
Sex is perfectly normal just like blood, violence and guns have never made me violent.
With their youtube channel it is even worse they rate any violent game 18+, example: titanfall 2 18+, far cry primal 18+ and any other game that has some blood almost all 18+.
Plague inc was rated 18+ because they thought they were messing with the corona virus but should be informed that the game came out in 2012.
It's ridiculous

robertb2904
March 24th, 2020

Common sense media always gave good insight and good points to why or why not to allow you or your family to view a film or game. They could improve on reflecting actual parent insight, because sometimes the vast majority of parent reviews go against the rating given by the actual site

abigails132
February 5th, 2021

Fake news,

Not real,
Lazy people falsely advertise
And hypocrites wanting to show case their money pyramid scheme.
This is exactly what you need to not look at for any reviews.
Coomonsensewebsite is for low people with low drive and low care for humans outside their sphere of understanding.

Tip for consumers:
pathetic as the chain of command we currently now have.
pathetic as you can imagine without experiencing
how unimaginative one can really be.
pathetic as a mask without a face to cough on.
pathetic as george carlins audience laughing at the facts of a disengaged reality.

ar536
July 18th, 2020

The reviews leaned toward the normalization for child sex, and making vulgarity a "norm." Their reviews are misleading.

blakep63
June 11th, 2021

Common Sense Media is a website for parents who are stuffy on what they say about movies that aren't for kids. Parents will go crazy over movies that are for other ages besides kids despite reading the age rating on each movie.

skittle
July 9th, 2021

Dumb app they always are much as dumb as $#*! SCREW THIS APP I HATE IT THE FOUNDER IS ALSO BAD LIKE WHAT

e

kathyb900
February 5th, 2021

I'm pretty mad they're charging for this site now. It has always been free before. There are other ways of monetizing besides alienating your fan base. And as I see here on this site it looks like a lot of people really don't like them that much so they'd better take heed and listen. I'm not one of the people that says you're a Karen if you use this site. I want to know what's in a movie before I let them see it for good reasons. I care about my kids and their mental health, which is definitely affected by what they watch and what games they play. For example if there's a gruesome death I don't need my five year old seeing it. Or if there's a sex scene with nudity I don't need to show that to my teenaged son. I appreciate that there's a site I can go to to find out about these things however now that they're charging I'm going to have to go find another place to find my info. I'm sure there are other sites. So they just lost this loyal customer whi used to send people their way all the time.

juliee164
June 4th, 2019

They pretend they're a family-friendly, faith-based organization - but they're far from it. If you look deeply into their reviews, they actually bash faith-based films while giving great reviews to sick and twisted movies.

Don't trust these guys. They'll go on a Thursday to the box office to try to up their competitors with a negative movie review. Horrible people running this website.

Movie critics in general are simply losers who wish they could be filmmakers. They will be forgotten as that heavy-set critic with glasses who died - roger something. Movies live on - critics don't.

theultimatea
October 23rd, 2020

The perfect site for all flat earthers, Karens, soccer moms and anti vaxxers. Use this site if you want to make your kid's childhood misrable, boring and hide them from the fact the world is a cold, cruel, living hell and not sunshine and rainbows.

amym744
August 8th, 2019

These Common sense media critics like Tara McNamara, are total and complete losers. Bashing a great family, faith movie is so wrong in so many ways. Everyone is so sick of Common Sense Media. They're almost like evil Hollywood tribalists in disguise. Pretending to be family-friendly when in fact they're wolves in sheep's clothing.

Are they truly a non-profit? I'd like the Feds to step in and investigate this top to bottom.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Common Sense Media staff and other customers.

We believe in media sanity, not censorship. We believe that media has truly become "the other parent" in our kids' lives, powerfully affecting their mental, physical, and social development. We believe in teaching our kids to be savvy, respectful and...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Common Sense Media?

Have a question about Common Sense Media?