Review of Avis

custserv@avis.com
2018 Customer choice award

vincem35
10/15/18

I searched for best rental price on Priceline and Avis offered lowest price, everything was good. When we got to Tampa we realized we needed an extra five hours of rental time. I tried to change the length of the contract, and was told they could not change it, impossible! Then I said cancel it, I was told they couldn't, go com[plain to Priceline, not their problem. We had no choice to book the car through Avis, but they said, if we wanted to extend the rental, just call a day ahead and they would take carwe of it(?). We called a day ahead and were told it would cost us 5X the daily rate to keep the car an extra 5 hours! So we reluctantly had to end our trip early to return the car ON TIME. We even called Priceline for some assistance, with typically robotic responses and helpfullness.

We WILL NOT EVER rent from AVIS again, they're customer service is sub standard and their price gouging tactics are no doubt legal, but not something I will ever fall for. If my only option were AVIS, I would walk. My advice to anyone who price shops rental cars, make absolutely certain, double check, triple check, quadrupal check, your itinerary, don't use these discount websites or neither the website nor the rental agency will help you with a problem, just bite the bullet and pay full price because companies like AVIS are trying to bust discount websites.

chloer20
9/17/18

Avis didn't charge me for one way drop off. It was a great plus for them like comparing to Kayak they did. No complaints at all to this car rental service. Good customer service and cars worth the money you pay for them.

johnl1085
8/10/18

Beware of Avis Salt Lake City Airport Location. Our son and family rented a car that had a damaged bumper and broken antenna (no radio) after waiting 2 hours in line. Traded in the next day in Idaho Falls for a car with a hole in the floorboard. Upon return home, 3 weeks later, they received a letter from Viking Billing Service on behalf of Avis informing them they were responsible for damage to the first rental and requesting payment. Upon calling Avis they were told Viking would have to handle, but that they may also be responsible for a broken windshield on the swapped out rental. Incredible. The Avis representative was rude and unresponsive. It appears that Avis is "scamming" renters to hold them responsible for a fleet that is in poor/pitiful condition. My son has pictures and intends to dispute, but has been told everything is closed over the weekend. Simply ridiculous.

benignot
6/28/18

Apparently when you rent a car from Avis, somewhere in the fine print it states that if you cancell the rental, you must pay a $150 penalty, even if the total cost of the rental is much less than that; only $60 in my case. And if you simply do not show up for the rental, they keep your $60 payment. In what morality universe is this acceptable or legal. when I tried to get Avis to issue a refund, they refused and their only defense is that their policy is to make customers adhere to the fine print in the contract! CROOKS! That is what they are. CROOKS!

marcb52
6/22/18

I head horror stories from other people when renting AVIS in Italy. I paid for Audi A3 or equivalent, got a Renault clio diesel, debatable if it is the same class nevertheless... Although the car was quite knocked about to be fair all the damage was marked on the agreement. The car was also very dirty inside and there was no washer fluid as I found out after a dusty motorway drive (Not good).
My Horror story... I gave the car back in the same condition as I got it, the agent looked around said thank you and I was on my way. A few days later my credit card showed £327.82 debit from Avis. I called them and their response was that it must be due to damage. I would have liked to have been notified of this before they just take the money !! fail that at least inform me with the damage report so that I can compare with the photos I took !!! also I took waiver insurance so it is not a problem but I still need that report !! Their CS tells me they have 15 business days to respond ... despicable, fraudsters, they should be in court !!!!

veronicae15
1/6/18

I have rented from Avis for two decades, have an Avis Wizard number and am an Avis First customer I recently received a bogus damage claim from Avis Viking billing for $1600 worth of damage on a vehicle that was returned with not so much as a door ding. I have received multiple phone calls as well as this letter. I called Avis after the first call from Viking and was informed that there was nothing outstanding regarding my rental. In fact, when I returned the car, I was given a $20 rebate as the radio/ audio did not work during the rental even after calling Avis for assistance. It's unfortunate but after many years of renting with Avis they have decided to pursue a fraudulent claim. They picked the wrong person to screw with.

ronaldg38
10/21/17

We are frequent Avis renters, having rented in Hawaii, Phoenix AZ, Fort Lauderdale FL, Miami FL, among many of the locations. Allentown however, is horrible, with the most rude employee I've ever encountered. Most locations just verify identification, and verify my Wizard number, once verified, we are usually on our way, very simple. Allentown is anything but simple. Our most recent experience we had rented AND PRE-PAID for our car rental. However, because my wife's name and mine did not match, the employee had to "re-write" the contract. Upon typing it, she "accidentally" erased while re-writing. Then upon demanding a deposit, again, this is fully paid for, and demanding to know our return flight information (we've rented over six times within the last year from this exact location) and then stated our deposit was declined. Hard to decline a $100 deposit where there was thousands in the account. Then, at the very end, I started to pick up the keys to go get the car and bring the vehicle around to pick-up my wife, but this very rude employee grabbed the keys from my hand to give to my wife, only to have to re-hand the keys back to me. This woman is in the customer service business, however, she needs a new career, because being rude to customers is not a good behavior considering her position.

kathleenr40
6/5/17

I rented an Avis car in Palm Springs Memorial Day weekend. The car's a/c was intolerable in the sweltering 105 degree weather. They told me I had to switch the car out myself because the only way they would travel to me to switch the car out is if it broke down. I asked them if they thought that poor a/c in the desert wasn't a good reason to come to me to switch the car, and the manager at the Palm Springs airport told me that the car had to be un-driveable. She told me I could take the car to the Palm Desert Avis and make the switch, but the salesperson at the Palm Desert Avis told me that I had to return it to the airport because she didn't want to have to service the car. If you think I am the only one having a problem with Avis, google reviews and consumer rip-offs of Avis. Then google their competitors.

cherylej
8/22/16

Avis does not charge for one way drop off . If you need to pick up a car in one city but need to drop in another city there is no drop off charge. Other agency like enterprise will charge a $100 drop off fee. Site is easy to navigate cancelation is easy if necessary with full refund ..excellent pleasant staff

garyh132
7/5/16

Good cars, expensive though

stevem249
4/9/16

We had to switch airports, Clearwater to Orlando. Avis said they didn't have ANY cars in Orlando...since we pre-paid, there are no refunds, so we lost the entire amount, over $500. We went through the Avis lot on our way to our car with another company, and imagine my surprise when the Avis lot had more cars than anyone else! Shady, Shady, Shady. I guess they had more cars because most already knew what I just learned...stay away from Avis.

fredl35
12/27/15

If you rent a car in a foreign country and there is some problem, you are at a disadvantage to resolve it with either local companies or even some US based car rental agencies.

In my experience Avis is the only one where the US management can correct mistakes made by a foreign office.

One common "mistake" is the Avis office in Italy or Brazil will not honor a reservation you made on the Avis website, or want to insist you add on "insurance" or other items.

If you rent from Alamo or Enterprise abroad and you see fake charges added on (commonly unwanted insurance) the home office claims it can do nothing as that office is independently owned.

In my experience you pay Avis almost exactly what the reservation states without hidden charges.

justint42
1,131 helpful votes
12/23/15

Hi - I used Avis for a recent Euro trip for 3 days through Germany, France and Lux. All was fine and car was normal. Only really annoying thing is I asked if they had a GPS in the car and they said yes, but then didn't tell me the cost of the charge.

When I got my bill this was included, this was a nasty surprise. They need to be very specific about costs of add-ons.

gizers
10/8/15

I've only had excellent experiences when I've rented cars from Avis while on vacation and when I went to Conventions.

Even got a couple of nice upgrades at no additional cost.

pauld123
9/16/15

I like their service a lot.

kathrynw11
5/6/15

Most of you still prefer Uber, but I like to drive myself because I do a lot of self-talk. Avis does free delivery and pickup from my location.

giusepped4
3/17/15

Why do sites promise "best price guarantee" when they make it so hard to claim the difference between the price you booked for and the price you found later. The T&C's are so complex that I have found twice that I didn't qualify. For $30 or $40, it just isn't worth the hassle. But that's a lot of bad will - so I get vouchers for car hire instead and save $$$$$ over the avis price. They lose because they have to pay a commission and I win. Their problem. If they actually kept their word and made it easy to claim a price differential, I'd only ever go direct.

mikes277
3/15/15

I used this company in the tropics hands down best selection of cars. Tip...use a credit card with auto insurance and decline their paid insurance. Saves money..

alisab7
1/31/15

Awesome Brand, I like there services.

fernandob16
1/25/15

We've rented cars plenty of times, and was pleased with the service quality. Although there are usually cheaper options at small local rent-a-car companies, I prefer bigger chains like Avis. You know, rental cars sometimes brake - people who rent it unfortunatelly don't care it well all the times, and in case of any troubles Avis was very helpfull. But of course, the prices can be better...

dirkw5
4/26/13

Hello Friends of SiteJabber,

This will be my first review at SiteJabber, apparently a good site in itself. So let me share my story about Avis.com:

I made a car rental reservation with Avis.com Rent-a-car. I needed the my rental car one day earlier. So I called Avis up (1800-) at their local office in 435 Channel Islands Blvd. in Oxnard, CA. I would not have been able to get a rental a day earlier (today) if somebody just hadn't pulled in front of the store. I assume this is because the Avis branch on 435 Channel Islands Blvd is small and only has a limited number of cars available.

Disaster loomed when I was trying to find the local rental office. The address given by Orbits and verified through Google Maps -- 435 Channel Islands Blvd, Oxnard CA -- did not exist. Unfortunately, I discovered this when it was too late as namely when I was driving around at Channel Islands Blvd. After realizing the address mistake, I called the local Avis office to inquire about the correct location. The branch's agent on the phone explained to hang up and call the number again to obtain directions. So I did and when connected again I ended up talking to the corporate hotline who could only give me the address again (the same wrong one) and naturally having no local knowledge of the branch's location. Now I also realized the intent behind that agent's surprising request to hang up and call the same number again. It was 5:55 PM and the branch closed at 6 PM. The local agent wanted to go home and not being bother by my request. The agent also didn't wanted my business presumably anticipating having to work a bit after store hours to provide me with my requested car rental.

Bottom line: Very bad customer service by that local Avis agent in Oxnard, CA.

30 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Avis staff and other customers.

Avis?