Internet Archive

Internet Archive has a consumer rating of 3.71 stars from 7 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Internet Archive also ranks 28th among Directories sites.

How would you rate Internet Archive?

“I absolutely love this site”

Darryl Y.
2/2/20

It allows you to play old PS1 or other console games, comes with a whole library, web site archiving especially if you like to archive your own, allows you to share your favorite videos, many software and images you could check out i love it especially if you wanna like film yourself playing a game

“recent "conversation" with archive people”

Melanie M.
1/17/20

mm Jan 13, 2020, 6:26 PM (4 days ago) I wanted to look at a movie from the above account but the movie and the account disappeared. Can you tell me what happened to it? Internet Archive Jan 13, 2020, 6:36 PM (4 days ago) Pirated movies are not allowed on Internet Archive mm Jan 13, 2020, 6:48 PM (4 days ago) I wasn't aware that public domain movies could be pirated. Internet Archive Jan 13, 2020, 6:50 PM (4 days ago) Clearly, many of them were not PD mm Jan 13, 2020, 6:55 PM (4 days ago) How would I know if a movie is or is not in the public domain? mm Jan 14, 2020, 8:48 AM (3 days ago) It may be clear to you if a movie is not in the PD but not to me. When someone is honestly asking you a question concerning the issue, an answer would be appreciated. You believe that "many of them were not PD", what did you base your decision on? Did you notify the person putting up movies that some of the movies were not acceptable? Did you give them a chance to remedy the situation? Your answers to me were curt and I'm sorry to say actually a little rude. As someone who loves these movies and wants to share them, the reception to my questions was a little disheartening. I can appreciate the fact that the archive needs to maintain a certain ethical standard but a little assistance in determining what is acceptable and what is not would go a long way in helping people determine the items that can and can not be shared. Not everyone is out for a buck. In the last few weeks I have watched dozens of movies on the archive. I've seen movies that had release dates from 1929 to 2016. I don't understand why something released in 2016 is public domain and something released in 1954 is not. There is no definitive list anywhere that I can find that would tell me what is public domain and what is not public domain. How can someone follow your terms of use if they do not know if something is in violation of those terms? When someone does make a mistake and upload something not in the public domain is it one strike and you're out? For an organization that purports to want to preserve these items you don't make it easy for regular stupid people to comply. And to have an honest question from someone who really wants to learn just go unanswered is like a slap in the face. You are telling me that my question is not worth answering. Internet Archive Jan 14, 2020, 11:50 AM (3 days ago) Hello, Everyone who uploads to the archive agrees to our terms of use, which include prohibitions on uploading materials they do not have rights to. Warm regards, mm Jan 14, 2020, 3:00 PM (3 days ago) I have no problem with agreeing to your terms of use. My question is how do I know if a movie is not a public domain movie? If one movie is not in the public domain do you kick out everything or just the movie that doesn't qualify? mm Jan 15, 2020, 9:43 AM (2 days ago) Your silence speaks volumes. I had hopes for your organization. I though you honestly believed in your mission statement of preserving digital media. I thought that it would be a place where people could communicate and share information and these movies that I love. I see now that the only time you are interested in communicating is when you want money. I have no problem with donating to an organization that has the same values that I do, however, I believe that it is not the organization that has feelings but the people who freely give you the books and movies that have the real heart. I appreciate the people who take the time and money to update their data to your site but as for the people that run the organization I fear that you have lost your humanity. Why bother having a contact page when you do not care to actually deal with people. I have been trying for three days now to have a civil conversation with anyone at your organization. All I have received is a few curt sentences that never really addressed my question, and still hasn't. And sticking a Hello and a Warm Regards at the beginning and end of your terse standard cut and paste response does not make it more endearing. Apparently you know what is in the public domain and what isn't. I do not and I was honestly seeking advice on how to find out. I don't want to put illegal data in the archives and I was not trying to dupe you. I was actually hoping to learn from you so I could be a better contributor; however, you are not interested in people only in digital code. It is sad to learn that. If I put movies out on your site that are not in the public domain, fine, take them down. But don't assume I put them up for nefarious reasons and that I am the enemy or a cancer that you need to cut out and toss in a hazardous waste dump. You may not have feelings but I do. Take them down, tell me that are not allowed and then teach me how to identify what can go up. Granted you are allowed to run your site the way you want but your inhumanity degrades what you claim to be trying to do. To put it in terms that you can understand, Clearly You Are Robots. I will continue to watch movies on your site and share them with other human beings not because of what you claim as an altruistic purpose but because these movies were put on the site by real people. Warm Regards,

melaniem256
January 17th, 2020
mm
Jan 13, 2020, 6:26 PM (4 days ago)

Internet Archive
Jan 13, 2020, 6:36 PM (4 days ago)
Pirated movies are not allowed on Internet Archive

mm
Jan 13, 2020, 6:48 PM (4 days ago)
I wasn't aware that public domain movies could be pirated.

Internet Archive
Jan 13, 2020, 6:50 PM (4 days ago)
Clearly, many of them were not PD

mm
Jan 13, 2020, 6:55 PM (4 days ago)
How would I know if a movie is or is not in the public domain?

mm
Jan 14, 2020, 8:48 AM (3 days ago)

Internet Archive
Jan 14, 2020, 11:50 AM (3 days ago)
Hello,
Warm regards,

mm
Jan 14, 2020, 3:00 PM (3 days ago)

mm
Jan 15, 2020, 9:43 AM (2 days ago)
Your silence speaks volumes.

To put it in terms that you can understand, Clearly You Are Robots.

Warm Regards,
darryly4
February 2nd, 2020
laurii
November 15th, 2016
The idea is awesome. Wayback machine has proven to be really handy when you need to check historical websites. Or just for nostalgia.

I mainly use archive.org it for downloading music from small weblabels which it is full of! But it is actually really messy, I can undestand why amateurs stay away from it as just finding the right link to click to to find the release can be a chore. It would be a lifesaver if the uploader could just choose one main link instead of a confusing list. Also the search does not allow Scandic letters.

But it's a free service that has extended beyond its original uses so one can't complain too much. I've found a lot of interesting music through it!
roel3
August 26th, 2019
I asked internet archive to correct some information. After many mails and phones, there is still no reaction. The site owners also do not give any reaction. This is a huge fake news site!
sandd1
SandDab D.
February 15th, 2016
Has just about everything. Great site!!!
charlies61
December 9th, 2016
A helpful site with loads of info. I like it!
adams71
September 5th, 2013
I can see the history of any site.. Great. Very helpful site.

Questions? Get answers from the Internet Archive staff and other customers.

Internet Archive is a non-profit library offering access to millions of free books, movies, and audio files, plus an archive of 400+ billion web pages.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Internet Archive?

Have a question about Internet Archive?