American Kennel Club (AKC) reviews

pal@akc.org
2018 Customer choice award

einatb2
9/16/18

Anyone can be a sitter!!!! My dog nearly died! Came back sick and dirty!! There is no screening at all?? No libilaty at all?? This sitter had 5 great reviews! It's unbelievable!

annettem59
3/6/18

The general opinion of the uneducated public is that AKC papers mean that the dog is higher quality than those who do not qualify for the coveted "papers." We recently filed a complaint against About Time Cane Corsos for sending us a pup whose microchip number is different from that on the paperwork. AKC would not even investigate. Instead, a committee devoted to the investigation of impure breeding decided based ONLY on pictures the dog that we believe to be a boxer mix is simply a "poor representative of the breed." Yet, About Time remains a "Breeder of Merit" in spite of producing poor quality dogs and failing to keep accurate records. Given that the AKC prides itself on being the "DMV" of dogs I am surprised that the mismatch on microchip numbers went unnoticed. However, unfortunately, their lack of concern that one of their "Breeders of Merit" is producing poor quality animals did not surprise me - on all of their websites, including the page promoting "reputable" breeders who paid to be there, AKC posts a disclaimer about the quality of the animals these breeders produce. AKC papers may come at a high cost, but are worthless.

casparm
2/14/18

Just read an article on training that was a barely disguised promotion for Purina dog food. Obviously, the AKC is not a good source for unbiased information. It's profit-driven. Pretty mercenary for a .org website.

janets20
12/10/17

They have nothing to do with the health of a animal, yet lead people to believe they are much more than a group of people taking money in exchange for a number. They need to come clean and be of assistance to the health and support of our very own animals. They are a vicious enemy of people trying to improve the lives of animals behind unhealthy bars and wire pens.

monaw11
12/3/17

I turned a crooked breeder into AKC and filed a complaint that the dog wasn't pure only to be told they weren't investigating and allowed the dog to be registered as a purebred. Not only that, they scrapped the name I registered the dog under and allowed another breeder to rename the dog. And dealing with the employees on the phone at AKC is another treat to be avoided. If I ran a business like they do, I would be sued and rightfully so.

margarets124
11/26/17

There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have..

thomass238
11/16/17

Paper gets you a pedegree $34.99+$16. Rip-off online gets you a pedegree only
at $79.99 level then if you include a co-owner (wife) add $10.00 more. $90 online.
Why are we being hammered?

maryl517
6/9/17

I have seen first hand how this organization will register litters and dogs without the owners signature or permission. A son of my girl was sold without it's owner's permission or knowledge by someone who never owned or was part of any contract regarding the dog. AKC conducted a DNA investigation and the breeder who sold the dog without permission did not tell them who they sold the dog to. The investigation was conducted because the damn's breeder suspected the dog was the sire of a litter that listed a different sire. It was determined that the sire listed on the litter was not the sire and the breeder who sold the suspected sire was never suspended and never had to reveal who they sold the sire to. Now, this breeder is able to continue to use the sire and possibly continue to list inaccurate sires on pedigrees because the AKC did not test all their breeding stock in light of the results of the investigation. I asked them to compare my girl's DNA to the sire of the puppy in question and they would not do it. I thought they were supposed to insure the registry is accurate? Based on my experiences with the AKC; they seem to go after breeders who do not register 100% of their puppies. I think it is all about registration dollars and not accuracy of animal welfare. I also think it is a waste of money and a worthless piece of paper. I don't think dog owners have any rights. They seem to side with scam artists. I have images, emails, and other information to support what I have seen them do.

tanias24
5/23/17

This business allows dishonest breeder to register litter that they don't own. even after reporting the scan they didn't investigate and don't care for the well being of the animals.

judyc62
11/24/16

I am a breeder, I have been registering my litters with American Kennel Club since 1990. I have never had the issue of extended wait times that some of the other reviews mentioned. Nor have I ever had anyone be rude to me. I have had them switch me between several people getting me to the correct department.

PROS: For me it is the fact that I know I can guarantee the bloodline of my pets because the dogs are now DNA tested. As a buyer you will never have to worry that you were sold a puppy that was not a product of the sire stated on his papers.

CONS: The only real complaint I can think of is the cost, you have to register the litter PLUS each individual each puppy in the litter.....then the new owner has to pay an additional fee to have the puppy registered in their name. To me that seems a lot like "double-dipping".
I am glad I raise Chihuahuas (2 to 4 babies per litter). I can't imagine the financial burden of having to register a litter of 14 Great Dane puppies.

cindyh68
6/19/16

AKC is great........we always register our pups with AKC, would not register them any where else. Thank you AKC!!

maryh211
5/24/16

Based on my direct experiences I do not believe and cares about anything but registration dollars. They seem to ignore you if you are not feeding them registration dollars. Don't waste your money showing either. I question the accuaracy of the registry Based on whati have seen them do and not do to breeders. I think it is a waste of money. You can find lots of articles about them all over the web.

jilln11
5/23/16

The AKC is a corrupt institution who pretends to be about proper breeding and animal welfare but their actions speak otherwise if anyone with intelligence looks behind the curtain.

The AKC is all about who funds them the most money. You can breed sister to brother for 5 generations with no problem via the AKC.

If that is not bad enough for you that they help contribute to the masses of pets dying in shelters then think about your cost in vet care from all of the genetic issues that most AKC breeders proliferate.

You can also lose your pet to the breeder because your paperwork is not proof of ownership.

Most every major animal registry in modern America requires DNA testing before issuing papers, but not the AKC.
The AKC protects known scammers who create fraudulent pedigrees by requiring a $500 fee to test your animals parentage!! They put the burden of proof onto you as the owner, not the breeder!

Even when a pedigree is proven fraudulent a breeder is allowed to re-register the litter again with zero proof of parentage.

All you have to do is google puppymills raids of AKC breeders who have glowing inspections via the AKC, yet the pets were clearly dying in filth.

So please think again before funding this awful corporation, and at the very least start demanding DNA proof of pedigree.

davidm434
4/21/16

There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have all the info you need at your fingertips. Also if your looking for breeders of merit or just reputable puppies there is a good database for that as well.

Tip for consumers: Start an account if you have registered AKC dog!

lelandl16
8/29/15

Bought a retriever from here recently. Everything is fine)

christianb42
5/11/15

I volunteered for their summer internship program, it was the best time I ever had. Enjoyed being a dog walker.

ginat4
11/24/13

This is an outstanding site that gives a great wealth of information on dogs that are recognized by the AKC. Not only that, they also list breeders located in each state.

There is also a section where you can type in what you're looking for in a dog, and it will give you suggestions on suitable breeds.

natalieh3
5/20/13

This is the site I looked at before purchasing both my dogs. They have lists of trusted breeders. I was very happy with the health and level of care my dogs received as puppies. They are great dogs.

michaela58
4/12/13

This site helped me a lot about dog health and training process. Very good service!

dreb1
5/22/12

I ordered a Pedigree and I.D tags in the beginning of march, and still haven't received either. The customer service is extremely terrible, and seem uneducated. If you have to do any business with AKC expect to wait,wait,wait, and wait somemore

carlys
5/23/11

The AKC is the main registry for purebred dogs in the United States. Their website contains a plethora of information, including:
- Detailed information, photos, and standards for all AKC breeds, as well as links to their official breed clubs and rescues
- Information on local all-breed clubs
- How to get started in all dog sports, ranging from lure coursing to herding to rally and everything in between
- The rules for all dog sports, along with lists of judges, all titles that can be won, events being held, results, and so on
- Breeder education, recording keeping, and other things useful to dog breeders
- Register dogs, litters, etc online
- Look up your dog's pedigree
- Learn about home owner's insurance, how to prepare for disasters, and other things that tend to get overlooked
- How to register your MIXED BREED to compete for AKC titles in agility, obedience, rally, and coursing
- Healthcare insurance for dogs, microchip registration with the AKC to help locate lost dogs
- Education sheets, coloring pages, and other things to help children learn about proper care for dogs

The AKC has a wonderful website, whether you're thinking about getting a dog or have owned them for years.

stephaniew2
10/3/10

I really love the American Kennel Club because they provide much needed canine search and rescue services in addition to all the support they give to breeders. You can read more here: http://www.akc.org/dogny/

ericks
6/17/10

The American Kennel Club maintains the breed registry for dogs in the U.S. An essential site if you are breeding dogs, want to find out information about registered dogs or dog shows.

millyw
5/13/10

Not the best kennel site i have seen, but ok

sherryd
5/10/10

For anyone looking to buy a new puppy or find a breeder, they should be going to this website. They should be looking to find a dog from someone who has been approved by the American Kennel Club.

29 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I believe this place is a scam. they answer emails right away until you ask for an AKC Registration number for the pup. Also they request payment via walmart or western union so you can't do a chargeback if they are fraud.

By a p.

By a p.

Helpful answer -1

I am inquiring about the same business. And I was wondering if you ever found out any information regarding their legitimacy

By Steven S.
Questions? Get answers from the American Kennel Club (AKC) staff and other customers.

American Kennel Club (AKC)?