American Kennel Club (AKC)

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

American Kennel Club (AKC)

www.akc.org

American Kennel Club (AKC) has a consumer rating of 3.61 stars from 70 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. American Kennel Club (AKC) also ranks 3rd among Dog Breeding sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 18.2%

• They should be looking to find a dog from someone who has been approved by the American Kennel Club.
  • The AKC is the main registry for purebred dogs in the United States.
  • 2018 Customer Choice Winner

• You can also lose your pet to the breeder because your paperwork is not proof of ownership.
How would you rate American Kennel Club (AKC)?

“The truth about AKC”

Shannon M.
12/5/19

Thank you for shedding a little light on the AKC. They slander, defame breeders who question them and have illegal practices which go untouched

“Basenji breeder”

Kyle L.
1/8/20

Orestes Rios took my deposit and was dishonest about when he was breeding his dogs and when I would receive my puppy. I was told it would be at the end of January they would be born but now they aren't even breeding her until the end of this month. When I found this out I asked for a refund so I could find a puppy sooner, he was very rude and said he would refund me when he got another deposit. I called AKC to complain and they informed me they can not do anything about the way he handles business. I find this quite ridiculous. Will not be searching on here any longer. Save your money and find a breeder yourself.

american kennel club (5) dogs (11) breeder (21)
kylel150
January 8th, 2020
stevec947
December 20th, 2019
They let fraudulent breeders register puppies that they can't confirm . Daniel Robinson New Russia ny....now I can never register my beloved Duke! What a scam
Buyer beware!
shannonm330
December 5th, 2019
mikep816
April 18th, 2020
They attempt to pilfer every dime they can from you. My dog was over 2 years old and they sent a letter stating the sire's DNA didn't match my dog. They wanted me to pay $50 for a DNA test to confirm my registration.
christiant54
June 25th, 2019
This is the worst company I have called multiple time to inform them I never received my puppies registration papers in the mail. They took 300 dollars from me and can't give me what I paid for. Also they lied to me and told me they would express ship it in 30 days do to the inconvenience still it has never showed up. So since It seem like they can't follow through I will follow through on trying to sue this company!!!
richl13
December 19th, 2019
When there are not many registration data bases that have their type of selection. They go way back but garbage in, garbage out!
alyssan21
November 6th, 2019
I love this site and the AKC in general they are amazing. You can find breeders,products,research breeds,etc.
josephg346
August 18th, 2019
I absolutely HATE these guys! I would NEVER trust their word in regards to ANY matter. All these breed standards are ridiculous and completely arbitrary. I swear these guys just make things up as they go. If you're purchasing a dog, and they're "AKC certified". Take this with a grain of salt, because it means absolutely NOTHING! This is their way of making money, not assuring you that you have a healthy dog. This place supports puppy mills! This place is a scam! You're playing a game by their rules. I hope this place becomes nonexistent one day! Please don't support these people and spread awareness of their corruption! 0 stars!!
jessis7
June 4th, 2019
DO NOT buy a puppy from Creek Weimaraners, Mountain Boxers, Sunset Cavaliers, River Westies or Stone Rottweilers!! This breeder out of Ogden, UT is running a puppy mill and raising them in terrible living conditions. He advertises that the puppies AKC registered and are raised in a family friendly environment with daily interaction. Not true!! The dogs live in a concrete compound out in the middle of nowhere. We went to pick our puppy up and it was unhealthy and had mange! He smelled terrible of urine and feces! When I asked the breeder questions concerning the puppies condition he became very defensive and disrespectful. We were not allowed to see the parents or the rest of the litter! Terrible excuse for a breeder, buyer beware!
davidm434
April 21st, 2016
There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have all the info you need at your fingertips. Also if your looking for breeders of merit or just reputable puppies there is a good database for that as well.

Tip for consumers: Start an account if you have registered AKC dog!

peters829
October 24th, 2019
They try to get you to buy more than you need or want. It shouldn't cost you more than $30 to register your dog.
margarets124
November 26th, 2017
There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have..
jewelsc
February 14th, 2019
The AKC database contains the records of each litter registered with the AKC. This information is entered by the breeder and contains information about the parents, date of birth, number of puppies, AKC litter #, color, breed, sex etc. If the AKC had the skill or the motivation to analyze this data they could easily identify 'bad' breeders or breeders not following AKC standards. Instead they allow backyard breeders and puppy mills to use the AKC name to market their puppies. In exchange for this agreement breeders contractually force puppy buyers to register with the AKC. An incestuous relationship which does not protect the animal or the consumer. This dinosaur needs to fall into the tar pits.
cindyh68
June 19th, 2016
AKC is great........we always register our pups with AKC, would not register them any where else. Thank you AKC!!
craigw219
October 2nd, 2019
I bought a Great Dane that cost me 4 grand from a pet store, the AKC promised me all these cool items and at the end of the call it cost me 400 bucks to proceed, the sales lady was really good and got me for 130 bucks for a frame and a certificate. well the frame came in the mail today and is way larger than the certificate, so I called the AKC and apparently I was talking to a 3rd party vendor not associated with the AKC . HERE IS YHE DEAL FOLKS, I got a pedigree certificate, a dog tag and collar from PET KEY for 30 bucks and on top of that I can log in to their website and update shots etc, if anyone connected to this website has a dog go missing you receive an email with all that pets information and microchip info. The AKC is overated big time waist of money. PET KEY is where its at, if anyone can tell me what 2 large certificates I am suppose to put in this fram that would be great.
janets20
December 10th, 2017
They have nothing to do with the health of a animal, yet lead people to believe they are much more than a group of people taking money in exchange for a number. They need to come clean and be of assistance to the health and support of our very own animals. They are a vicious enemy of people trying to improve the lives of animals behind unhealthy bars and wire pens.
einatb2
September 16th, 2018
Anyone can be a sitter!!!! My dog nearly died! Came back sick and dirty!! There is no screening at all?? No libilaty at all?? This sitter had 5 great reviews! It's unbelievable!
monaw11
December 3rd, 2017
I turned a crooked breeder into AKC and filed a complaint that the dog wasn't pure only to be told they weren't investigating and allowed the dog to be registered as a purebred. Not only that, they scrapped the name I registered the dog under and allowed another breeder to rename the dog. And dealing with the employees on the phone at AKC is another treat to be avoided. If I ran a business like they do, I would be sued and rightfully so.
annettem59
March 6th, 2018
The general opinion of the uneducated public is that AKC papers mean that the dog is higher quality than those who do not qualify for the coveted "papers." We recently filed a complaint against About Time Cane Corsos for sending us a pup whose microchip number is different from that on the paperwork. AKC would not even investigate. Instead, a committee devoted to the investigation of impure breeding decided based ONLY on pictures the dog that we believe to be a boxer mix is simply a "poor representative of the breed." Yet, About Time remains a "Breeder of Merit" in spite of producing poor quality dogs and failing to keep accurate records. Given that the AKC prides itself on being the "DMV" of dogs I am surprised that the mismatch on microchip numbers went unnoticed. However, unfortunately, their lack of concern that one of their "Breeders of Merit" is producing poor quality animals did not surprise me - on all of their websites, including the page promoting "reputable" breeders who paid to be there, AKC posts a disclaimer about the quality of the animals these breeders produce. AKC papers may come at a high cost, but are worthless.
maryl517
June 9th, 2017
I have seen first hand how this organization will register litters and dogs without the owners signature or permission. A son of my girl was sold without it's owner's permission or knowledge by someone who never owned or was part of any contract regarding the dog. AKC conducted a DNA investigation and the breeder who sold the dog without permission did not tell them who they sold the dog to. The investigation was conducted because the damn's breeder suspected the dog was the sire of a litter that listed a different sire. It was determined that the sire listed on the litter was not the sire and the breeder who sold the suspected sire was never suspended and never had to reveal who they sold the sire to. Now, this breeder is able to continue to use the sire and possibly continue to list inaccurate sires on pedigrees because the AKC did not test all their breeding stock in light of the results of the investigation. I asked them to compare my girl's DNA to the sire of the puppy in question and they would not do it. I thought they were supposed to insure the registry is accurate? Based on my experiences with the AKC; they seem to go after breeders who do not register 100% of their puppies. I think it is all about registration dollars and not accuracy of animal welfare. I also think it is a waste of money and a worthless piece of paper. I don't think dog owners have any rights. They seem to side with scam artists. I have images, emails, and other information to support what I have seen them do.
ginat4
November 24th, 2013
This is an outstanding site that gives a great wealth of information on dogs that are recognized by the AKC. Not only that, they also list breeders located in each state.

There is also a section where you can type in what you're looking for in a dog, and it will give you suggestions on suitable breeds.
tanias24
May 23rd, 2017
This business allows dishonest breeder to register litter that they don't own. even after reporting the scan they didn't investigate and don't care for the well being of the animals.
natalieh3
May 20th, 2013
This is the site I looked at before purchasing both my dogs. They have lists of trusted breeders. I was very happy with the health and level of care my dogs received as puppies. They are great dogs.
hopeb44
July 4th, 2019
Regardless of any thing positive about the AKC, their website is utter trash. I have spent a week trying to get help from AKC in registering my dog. The site refuses my valid email address. The site refuses the online pin number generated by AKC, sent to my dog's breeder on his registration application. I have emailed, I have called and have gotten ZERO response. GET YOUR ACK ACT TOGETHER. FIX YOUR PATHETIC WEBSITE.
michaela58
April 12th, 2013
This site helped me a lot about dog health and training process. Very good service!

Scam-https://petscams.com/puppy-scammer-list/demainpoodles-com/

By Alyssa N.

I believe this place is a scam. they answer emails right away until you ask for an AKC Registration number for the pup. Also they request payment via walmart or western union so you can't do a chargeback if they are fraud.

By a p.

By a p.

I am inquiring about the same business. And I was wondering if you ever found out any information regarding their legitimacy

By Steven S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the American Kennel Club (AKC) staff and other customers.

The AKC is the recognized and trusted expert in breed, health and training information for dogs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Kennel Club (AKC)?

Have a question about American Kennel Club (AKC)?