American Kennel Club (AKC) reviews

pal@akc.org
2018 Customer choice award

josephg346
8/18/19

I absolutely HATE these guys! I would NEVER trust their word in regards to ANY matter. All these breed standards are ridiculous and completely arbitrary. I swear these guys just make things up as they go. If you're purchasing a dog, and they're "AKC certified". Take this with a grain of salt, because it means absolutely NOTHING! This is their way of making money, not assuring you that you have a healthy dog. This place supports puppy mills! This place is a scam! You're playing a game by their rules. I hope this place becomes nonexistent one day! Please don't support these people and spread awareness of their corruption! 0 stars!!

hopeb44
7/4/19

Regardless of any thing positive about the AKC, their website is utter trash. I have spent a week trying to get help from AKC in registering my dog. The site refuses my valid email address. The site refuses the online pin number generated by AKC, sent to my dog's breeder on his registration application. I have emailed, I have called and have gotten ZERO response. GET YOUR ACK ACT TOGETHER. FIX YOUR PATHETIC WEBSITE.

christiant54
6/25/19

This is the worst company I have called multiple time to inform them I never received my puppies registration papers in the mail. They took 300 dollars from me and can't give me what I paid for. Also they lied to me and told me they would express ship it in 30 days do to the inconvenience still it has never showed up. So since It seem like they can't follow through I will follow through on trying to sue this company!!!

jessis7
6/4/19

DO NOT buy a puppy from Creek Weimaraners, Mountain Boxers, Sunset Cavaliers, River Westies or Stone Rottweilers!! This breeder out of Ogden, UT is running a puppy mill and raising them in terrible living conditions. He advertises that the puppies AKC registered and are raised in a family friendly environment with daily interaction. Not true!! The dogs live in a concrete compound out in the middle of nowhere. We went to pick our puppy up and it was unhealthy and had mange! He smelled terrible of urine and feces! When I asked the breeder questions concerning the puppies condition he became very defensive and disrespectful. We were not allowed to see the parents or the rest of the litter! Terrible excuse for a breeder, buyer beware!

mh473
3/3/19

I bought a Coton de Tulear for $1,800 in 2017. When she was a year old I realized that she shared few characteristics with that breed. A Wisdom Panel DNA test revealed that she was:

50% Maltese
25% Coton de Tulear
25% Chihuahua

The AKC instructed me to provide them with the DNA test results, her AKC registration (which says she is pure white - she is black and white), and photos of my dog. Their response is summed up as follows:

1. Based on the evidence provided, there is no reason to decertify my dog's litter.
2. Based on the photos, my dog is not representative of the breed. Therefore, they recommend that my dog not have puppies.

After this experience I have lost faith in the AKC. I will only use a breeder that provides a DNA lineage report. Perhaps with this new science we will no longer need this sham organization anyway.

P.S. I'm keeping my mutt.

jewelsc
2/14/19

The AKC database contains the records of each litter registered with the AKC. This information is entered by the breeder and contains information about the parents, date of birth, number of puppies, AKC litter #, color, breed, sex etc. If the AKC had the skill or the motivation to analyze this data they could easily identify 'bad' breeders or breeders not following AKC standards. Instead they allow backyard breeders and puppy mills to use the AKC name to market their puppies. In exchange for this agreement breeders contractually force puppy buyers to register with the AKC. An incestuous relationship which does not protect the animal or the consumer. This dinosaur needs to fall into the tar pits.

einatb2
9/16/18

Anyone can be a sitter!!!! My dog nearly died! Came back sick and dirty!! There is no screening at all?? No libilaty at all?? This sitter had 5 great reviews! It's unbelievable!

annettem59
3/6/18

The general opinion of the uneducated public is that AKC papers mean that the dog is higher quality than those who do not qualify for the coveted "papers." We recently filed a complaint against About Time Cane Corsos for sending us a pup whose microchip number is different from that on the paperwork. AKC would not even investigate. Instead, a committee devoted to the investigation of impure breeding decided based ONLY on pictures the dog that we believe to be a boxer mix is simply a "poor representative of the breed." Yet, About Time remains a "Breeder of Merit" in spite of producing poor quality dogs and failing to keep accurate records. Given that the AKC prides itself on being the "DMV" of dogs I am surprised that the mismatch on microchip numbers went unnoticed. However, unfortunately, their lack of concern that one of their "Breeders of Merit" is producing poor quality animals did not surprise me - on all of their websites, including the page promoting "reputable" breeders who paid to be there, AKC posts a disclaimer about the quality of the animals these breeders produce. AKC papers may come at a high cost, but are worthless.

casparm
2/14/18

Just read an article on training that was a barely disguised promotion for Purina dog food. Obviously, the AKC is not a good source for unbiased information. It's profit-driven. Pretty mercenary for a .org website.

janets20
12/10/17

They have nothing to do with the health of a animal, yet lead people to believe they are much more than a group of people taking money in exchange for a number. They need to come clean and be of assistance to the health and support of our very own animals. They are a vicious enemy of people trying to improve the lives of animals behind unhealthy bars and wire pens.

monaw11
12/3/17

I turned a crooked breeder into AKC and filed a complaint that the dog wasn't pure only to be told they weren't investigating and allowed the dog to be registered as a purebred. Not only that, they scrapped the name I registered the dog under and allowed another breeder to rename the dog. And dealing with the employees on the phone at AKC is another treat to be avoided. If I ran a business like they do, I would be sued and rightfully so.

margarets124
11/26/17

There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have..

thomass238
11/16/17

Paper gets you a pedegree $34.99+$16. Rip-off online gets you a pedegree only
at $79.99 level then if you include a co-owner (wife) add $10.00 more. $90 online.
Why are we being hammered?

maryl517
6/9/17

I have seen first hand how this organization will register litters and dogs without the owners signature or permission. A son of my girl was sold without it's owner's permission or knowledge by someone who never owned or was part of any contract regarding the dog. AKC conducted a DNA investigation and the breeder who sold the dog without permission did not tell them who they sold the dog to. The investigation was conducted because the damn's breeder suspected the dog was the sire of a litter that listed a different sire. It was determined that the sire listed on the litter was not the sire and the breeder who sold the suspected sire was never suspended and never had to reveal who they sold the sire to. Now, this breeder is able to continue to use the sire and possibly continue to list inaccurate sires on pedigrees because the AKC did not test all their breeding stock in light of the results of the investigation. I asked them to compare my girl's DNA to the sire of the puppy in question and they would not do it. I thought they were supposed to insure the registry is accurate? Based on my experiences with the AKC; they seem to go after breeders who do not register 100% of their puppies. I think it is all about registration dollars and not accuracy of animal welfare. I also think it is a waste of money and a worthless piece of paper. I don't think dog owners have any rights. They seem to side with scam artists. I have images, emails, and other information to support what I have seen them do.

tanias24
5/23/17

This business allows dishonest breeder to register litter that they don't own. even after reporting the scan they didn't investigate and don't care for the well being of the animals.

judyc62
11/24/16

I am a breeder, I have been registering my litters with American Kennel Club since 1990. I have never had the issue of extended wait times that some of the other reviews mentioned. Nor have I ever had anyone be rude to me. I have had them switch me between several people getting me to the correct department.

PROS: For me it is the fact that I know I can guarantee the bloodline of my pets because the dogs are now DNA tested. As a buyer you will never have to worry that you were sold a puppy that was not a product of the sire stated on his papers.

CONS: The only real complaint I can think of is the cost, you have to register the litter PLUS each individual each puppy in the litter.....then the new owner has to pay an additional fee to have the puppy registered in their name. To me that seems a lot like "double-dipping".
I am glad I raise Chihuahuas (2 to 4 babies per litter). I can't imagine the financial burden of having to register a litter of 14 Great Dane puppies.

cindyh68
6/19/16

AKC is great........we always register our pups with AKC, would not register them any where else. Thank you AKC!!

maryh211
5/24/16

Based on my direct experiences I do not believe and cares about anything but registration dollars. They seem to ignore you if you are not feeding them registration dollars. Don't waste your money showing either. I question the accuaracy of the registry Based on whati have seen them do and not do to breeders. I think it is a waste of money. You can find lots of articles about them all over the web.

jilln11
5/23/16

The AKC is a corrupt institution who pretends to be about proper breeding and animal welfare but their actions speak otherwise if anyone with intelligence looks behind the curtain.

The AKC is all about who funds them the most money. You can breed sister to brother for 5 generations with no problem via the AKC.

If that is not bad enough for you that they help contribute to the masses of pets dying in shelters then think about your cost in vet care from all of the genetic issues that most AKC breeders proliferate.

You can also lose your pet to the breeder because your paperwork is not proof of ownership.

Most every major animal registry in modern America requires DNA testing before issuing papers, but not the AKC.
The AKC protects known scammers who create fraudulent pedigrees by requiring a $500 fee to test your animals parentage!! They put the burden of proof onto you as the owner, not the breeder!

Even when a pedigree is proven fraudulent a breeder is allowed to re-register the litter again with zero proof of parentage.

All you have to do is google puppymills raids of AKC breeders who have glowing inspections via the AKC, yet the pets were clearly dying in filth.

So please think again before funding this awful corporation, and at the very least start demanding DNA proof of pedigree.

davidm434
4/21/16

There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have all the info you need at your fingertips. Also if your looking for breeders of merit or just reputable puppies there is a good database for that as well.

Tip for consumers: Start an account if you have registered AKC dog!

lelandl16
8/29/15

Bought a retriever from here recently. Everything is fine)

christianb42
5/11/15

I volunteered for their summer internship program, it was the best time I ever had. Enjoyed being a dog walker.

ginat4
11/24/13

This is an outstanding site that gives a great wealth of information on dogs that are recognized by the AKC. Not only that, they also list breeders located in each state.

There is also a section where you can type in what you're looking for in a dog, and it will give you suggestions on suitable breeds.

natalieh3
5/20/13

This is the site I looked at before purchasing both my dogs. They have lists of trusted breeders. I was very happy with the health and level of care my dogs received as puppies. They are great dogs.

michaela58
4/12/13

This site helped me a lot about dog health and training process. Very good service!

29 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I believe this place is a scam. they answer emails right away until you ask for an AKC Registration number for the pup. Also they request payment via walmart or western union so you can't do a chargeback if they are fraud.

By a p.

By a p.

Helpful answer -1

I am inquiring about the same business. And I was wondering if you ever found out any information regarding their legitimacy

By Steven S.
Questions? Get answers from the American Kennel Club (AKC) staff and other customers.

1 Photo for American Kennel Club (AKC)

American Kennel Club (AKC)?