American Kennel Club (AKC)

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

American Kennel Club (AKC)

American Kennel Club (AKC) has a consumer rating of 3.64 stars from 69 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with American Kennel Club (AKC) most frequently mention kennel club. American Kennel Club (AKC) ranks 3rd among Dog Breeding sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 28.6%

• Orestes Rios took my deposit and was dishonest about when he was breeding his dogs and when I would receive my puppy.
  • We paid 500.00 to do a DNA investigation on a breeder who put the wrong sire on a litter.
How would you rate American Kennel Club (AKC)?

“The truth about AKC”

Shannon M.
12/5/19

Thank you for shedding a little light on the AKC. They slander, defame breeders who question them and have illegal practices which go untouched

“Besten Boxers Oklahoma”

Diane C.
7/1/20

Besten Boxers sells sick dogs do not buy a puppy from this man it's costed me $2500 in the first year since I've had this dog from day one he's been sick he offered to pay no medical bills-Horrible businessman, My puppy has a heart murmur and a liver condition, claims he health tests

american kennel club (5) dogs (12) breeder (20)
dianec596
July 1st, 2020
kylel150
January 8th, 2020
Orestes Rios took my deposit and was dishonest about when he was breeding his dogs and when I would receive my puppy. I was told it would be at the end of January they would be born but now they aren't even breeding her until the end of this month. When I found this out I asked for a refund so I could find a puppy sooner, he was very rude and said he would refund me when he got another deposit. I called AKC to complain and they informed me they can not do anything about the way he handles business. I find this quite ridiculous. Will not be searching on here any longer. Save your money and find a breeder yourself.
stevec947
December 20th, 2019
They let fraudulent breeders register puppies that they can't confirm. Daniel Robinson New Russia ny... now I can never register my beloved Duke! What a scam
Buyer beware!
richl13
December 19th, 2019
When there are not many registration data bases that have their type of selection. They go way back but garbage in, garbage out!
mikep816
April 18th, 2020
They attempt to pilfer every dime they can from you. My dog was over 2 years old and they sent a letter stating the sire's DNA didn't match my dog. They wanted me to pay $50 for a DNA test to confirm my registration.
christiant54
June 25th, 2019
This is the worst company I have called multiple time to inform them I never received my puppies registration papers in the mail. They took 300 dollars from me and can't give me what I paid for. Also they lied to me and told me they would express ship it in 30 days do to the inconvenience still it has never showed up. So since It seem like they can't follow through I will follow through on trying to sue this company!
shannonm330
December 5th, 2019
christianb42
May 11th, 2015
I volunteered for their summer internship program, it was the best time I ever had. Enjoyed being a dog walker.
alyssan21
November 6th, 2019
I love this site and the AKC in general they are amazing. You can find breeders, products, research breeds, etc.
josephg346
August 18th, 2019
I absolutely HATE these guys! I would NEVER trust their word in regards to ANY matter. All these breed standards are ridiculous and completely arbitrary. I swear these guys just make things up as they go. If you're purchasing a dog, and they're "AKC certified". Take this with a grain of salt, because it means absolutely NOTHING! This is their way of making money, not assuring you that you have a healthy dog. This place supports puppy mills! This place is a scam! You're playing a game by their rules. I hope this place becomes nonexistent one day! Please don't support these people and spread awareness of their corruption! 0 stars!
judyc62
November 24th, 2016
I am a breeder, I have been registering my litters with American Kennel Club since 1990. I have never had the issue of extended wait times that some of the other reviews mentioned. Nor have I ever had anyone be rude to me. I have had them switch me between several people getting me to the correct department.

PROS: For me it is the fact that I know I can guarantee the bloodline of my pets because the dogs are now DNA tested. As a buyer you will never have to worry that you were sold a puppy that was not a product of the sire stated on his papers.

CONS: The only real complaint I can think of is the cost, you have to register the litter PLUS each individual each puppy in the litter... then the new owner has to pay an additional fee to have the puppy registered in their name. To me that seems a lot like "double-dipping".
I am glad I raise Chihuahuas (2 to 4 babies per litter). I can't imagine the financial burden of having to register a litter of 14 Great Dane puppies.
jessis7
June 4th, 2019
DO NOT buy a puppy from Creek Weimaraners, Mountain Boxers, Sunset Cavaliers, River Westies or Stone Rottweilers! This breeder out of Ogden, UT is running a puppy mill and raising them in terrible living conditions. He advertises that the puppies AKC registered and are raised in a family friendly environment with daily interaction. Not true! The dogs live in a concrete compound out in the middle of nowhere. We went to pick our puppy up and it was unhealthy and had mange! He smelled terrible of urine and feces! When I asked the breeder questions concerning the puppies condition he became very defensive and disrespectful. We were not allowed to see the parents or the rest of the litter! Terrible excuse for a breeder, buyer beware!
peters829
October 24th, 2019
They try to get you to buy more than you need or want. It shouldn't cost you more than $30 to register your dog.
hopeb44
July 4th, 2019
Regardless of any thing positive about the AKC, their website is utter trash. I have spent a week trying to get help from AKC in registering my dog. The site refuses my valid email address. The site refuses the online pin number generated by AKC, sent to my dog's breeder on his registration application. I have emailed, I have called and have gotten ZERO response. GET YOUR ACK ACT TOGETHER. FIX YOUR PATHETIC WEBSITE.
davidm434
April 21st, 2016
There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have all the info you need at your fingertips. Also if your looking for breeders of merit or just reputable puppies there is a good database for that as well.

Tip for consumers: Start an account if you have registered AKC dog!

margarets124
November 26th, 2017
There are many great aspects to the AKC. You can create an account. If you have registered dog you can add the dog via the registration number. If your into conformation showing you have..
jewelsc
February 14th, 2019
The AKC database contains the records of each litter registered with the AKC. This information is entered by the breeder and contains information about the parents, date of birth, number of puppies, AKC litter #, color, breed, sex etc. If the AKC had the skill or the motivation to analyze this data they could easily identify 'bad' breeders or breeders not following AKC standards. Instead they allow backyard breeders and puppy mills to use the AKC name to market their puppies. In exchange for this agreement breeders contractually force puppy buyers to register with the AKC. An incestuous relationship which does not protect the animal or the consumer. This dinosaur needs to fall into the tar pits.
lelandl16
August 29th, 2015
Bought a retriever from here recently. Everything is fine)
craigw219
October 2nd, 2019
I bought a Great Dane that cost me 4 grand from a pet store, the AKC promised me all these cool items and at the end of the call it cost me 400 bucks to proceed, the sales lady was really good and got me for 130 bucks for a frame and a certificate. Well the frame came in the mail today and is way larger than the certificate, so I called the AKC and apparently I was talking to a 3rd party vendor not associated with the AKC. HERE IS YHE DEAL FOLKS, I got a pedigree certificate, a dog tag and collar from PET KEY for 30 bucks and on top of that I can log in to their website and update shots etc, if anyone connected to this website has a dog go missing you receive an email with all that pets information and microchip info. The AKC is overated big time waist of money. PET KEY is where its at, if anyone can tell me what 2 large certificates I am suppose to put in this fram that would be great.
janets20
December 10th, 2017
They have nothing to do with the health of a animal, yet lead people to believe they are much more than a group of people taking money in exchange for a number. They need to come clean and be of assistance to the health and support of our very own animals. They are a vicious enemy of people trying to improve the lives of animals behind unhealthy bars and wire pens.
cindyh68
June 19th, 2016
AKC is great... we always register our pups with AKC, would not register them any where else. Thank you AKC!
einatb2
September 16th, 2018
Anyone can be a sitter! My dog nearly died! Came back sick and dirty! There is no screening at all? No libilaty at all? This sitter had 5 great reviews! It's unbelievable!
ericks
June 17th, 2010
The American Kennel Club maintains the breed registry for dogs in the U.S. An essential site if you are breeding dogs, want to find out information about registered dogs or dog shows.
casparm
February 14th, 2018
Just read an article on training that was a barely disguised promotion for Purina dog food. Obviously, the AKC is not a good source for unbiased information. It's profit-driven. Pretty mercenary for a. Org website.
monaw11
December 3rd, 2017
I turned a crooked breeder into AKC and filed a complaint that the dog wasn't pure only to be told they weren't investigating and allowed the dog to be registered as a purebred. Not only that, they scrapped the name I registered the dog under and allowed another breeder to rename the dog. And dealing with the employees on the phone at AKC is another treat to be avoided. If I ran a business like they do, I would be sued and rightfully so.

Scam-https://petscams.com/puppy-scammer-list/demainpoodles-com/

By Alyssa N.

I believe this place is a scam. They answer emails right away until you ask for an AKC Registration number for the pup. Also they request payment via walmart or western union so you can't do a chargeback if they are fraud.

By a p.

By a p.

I am inquiring about the same business. And I was wondering if you ever found out any information regarding their legitimacy

By Steven S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the American Kennel Club (AKC) staff and other customers.

The AKC is the recognized and trusted expert in breed, health and training information for dogs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Kennel Club (AKC)?

Have a question about American Kennel Club (AKC)?