US Government's NSF
SiteJabber for Business

WyzAnt reviews

•  Email business  •  Phone: (877) 999-2681
Find an expert tutor in over 250+ subjects.
Learn More
Review of WyzAnt

WyzAnt reviews

61%
Categories: Education, Tutor
1714 N Damen Ave Ste 3N
Chicago, IL 60647-5578, USA
info@wyzant.com
Find an expert tutor in over 250+ subjects.
Learn More

Write Review

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

katiec30

You can find my tutor profile on Wyzant to verify that. (in 169 reviews)

colleenf8

I am a tutor who receives over 90% of my students from WyzAnt referrals. (in 69 reviews)

jimp2

(Clients have to provide billing information before seeing me.)
(in 8 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

tomf52

GREAT!!!!!!

rasperh

5 Stars

abigaila5
9/27/15

This site is professional and easy to use. My experience with one tutor was fun and useful.

willm37

Very knowledgeable math tutor

javaidc
9/26/15

This site has very nice and knowledgeable tutors. My child has been getting A,s on her math test. When she was getting C's and struggling to pass her class. I highly recommend a tutor.

annav26
9/26/15

I like Wizant because they are easy to use, have great tutors, and super customer service. One time I did not understand a charge, so I called them and they were able to help me resolve the/any issue.

I highly recommend Wizant.

karik5
9/26/15

The Tutors have been excellent! They are easy to find on Wyzant.

sumanab2

Very cooperative

sandyn19
9/26/15

I have used two math tutors, AJa and Rachel B and I was satisfied with them both. They were flexible, knowledgeable, professional, on time and patient. My daughter is improving in math and she looks forward to her sessions with Rachel. I would highly recommend both tutors.

sihams
9/24/15

easy to use

triciat5
9/23/15

My child's tutor is a brilliant young math perfessional who is outstanding with students!

adriat

a learning experience

kathleenh21
9/23/15

WyzAnt enabled me to interview (thru email and phone calls) several tutors in Tucson AZ, in my search for a tutor for my 24 year old niece who needed help in passing the GED. I narrowed my search down to 2 and after a face to face interview decided go with Rebecca. Rebecca has been such a great help! She has been able to connect with Sandy and has become an inspiration to Sandy. She is about ready to take the math portion this month. The GED will be a stepping stone for Sandy's life.

nataliec12
9/22/15

My experience with Wyzant has been quite successful and very helpful especially as a medical student. I found strong, passionate and knowledgeable tutors on this website to help me with my courses. Everyone is different and can find the right tutor that works for them.

karaa4
9/22/15

Stephen is highly helpful , patient , kind , and articulate .

shannonn4
9/22/15

I had not used Wyzant for about 3 years and knew I had a credit but did not know the amount. The person helped me find it, said it was still available for use and got my account working again. The person was most helpful and obliging

kumars9
9/22/15

Very happy with my teaching on WyzAnt, ad especially with my French teacher Florence.

ria140

Excellent service

fabiena4

Do its job...

lindyg
9/22/15

Wyzant provided an easy way to select and contact a tutor. We have been very happy with the tutor we selected. He does a great job with our 7th grader and the convenience of having him tutor her in our home is great.

yvetten1

Excellent

janakiv
9/22/15

My tutor Ms.Cheryl is a very good teacher and friends. My son learned a lot with my tutor.

marym223
9/22/15

Each tutor I have contacted has been experienced, helpful, patient and enjoyed by the student. I trust Wyzant to find a tutor for any student for any subject.

barbw10
9/22/15

Michael is a good tutor; productive session

joyt14
9/15/15

I qualified for being a tutor and they did not hire me. I would not waste my time with this company. I should file a lawsuit against for discriminate against tutors with the right qualifications like me.

amys95
9/11/15

The Wyzant website claims that you can have an initial tutoring session with each tutor 'free' until you find the tutor who best suits you. This is baloney. You are charged for each and every session. If you complain, you are told that "It is at the tutor's discretion whether or not to give a free session." What tutor is going to forgo a fee? Liars, liars, liars.

rebeccap41
9/8/15

Tutors may apply to students who are a good fit, while tutors can gracefully decline tutor requests from students who may not be a good match. I presently have 10-15 students per week; I would not have had a connection to these students outside of WyzAnt.

Having worked through WyzAnt for just a little over two years and having accumulated 600+ tutoring hours, I can attest to the fact that the system works. I turn down students weekly because of my limited availability. I could have twice as many students if I had more time.

I set the fees to be charged. Though WyzAnt does keep a percentage of the fees, that is to be expected, as their internet company is what connected me with my students. Payments are all made to WyzAnt, who in turn pays me. I never have to ask students or their families for money! I make 3 times what I would be earning at a tutoring center.

mattheww41
6/15/15

I enjoy working with WyzAnt and am really indebted to them for finding the tutees I have found. I am hardly entrepreneurial, and appreciate their middleman setup, which is quite copacetic.

lynnf16
5/26/15

I have been using Wyzant for weeks now and it has been great. I had to cancel my credit card because it had been hacked. I cannot update my payment to Wyzant until the new credit card is received. They have now cancelled my daughter's tutoring sessions. This is unbelievable to me. My daughter has her final exam next week and now does not have a tutor. There was only 1 tutoring session left. Way to care more about their bottom line then about students needed help. They were informed that the card should be received this week. You would think that they would take some type of payment over the phone, but guess what, NOPE. This is just unbelievable to me!

chrisw94
4/30/15

My son is taking college algebra as he wrap's up his high school career. He had completed his requirement's for math, but at my request he is taking the class. It is at this crucial time, the end of the school year he has started to struggle with various concepts of algebra. I can not help him, math is not my specialty: Enter, Joseph A, who is whipping up some magic with my son and his algebra book. Without the creative idea of Wyzant, and the simplicity of finding a tutor; there would be no Joseph A, and perhaps no algebra college credit for my son. You can learn and understand math on various levels, but without the kind nature and disposition of the tutor, it is meaningless. Joseph possess these positive trait's.

ashleyp42
4/7/15

I've been tutoring through wyzant for over a year now. You have to put the effort in to get students: email open job listings, make a good profile, answer emails, be flexible, and do a good job. I've done those things and been very successful. Yes, they take a huge chunk for commission but I wouldn't have any students otherwise and I love not having to worry about getting paid. Some students and families are great and some aren't but that isn't wyzants fault. Same with tutors. Wyzant at least puts some effort into maintaining credentials but its more like a craigslist for tutors and students, you're not paying them to screen everyone first, you have to put the work in. They also have a guarantee if the first session with a tutor doesn't go well. They are also transparent about all of these things up front. I'd prefer to keep all my money but I really have no complaints.

katiec30
4/3/15

I am not a staff member of Wyzant, as one reviewer suggested all 5 star ratings were. You can find my tutor profile on Wyzant to verify that. I am genuinely baffled by the low reviews and honestly trying to understand it.

This review highlights my experience, but maybe my experience is abnormal, and the company is a scam. I can only write what I have personally experienced.

Since Wyzant puts a lot of money into advertising, they are the first tutoring website that popped up in the search results when I looked for ways to become a tutor. After creating my profile, I saw all the horrid reviews of Wyzant, and so, I went ahead and created a tutoring profile at 6 other tutoring services.

Within a few days of creating my profile, a member of the Wyzant team personally called me to congratulate me for being selected to tutor for them, and he wanted to make sure I understood everything.

Within two weeks of posting my profile, I had 4 consistent clients and over 10 hours of tutoring, and it won't be long before I have over 51 (with my 4 consistent clients), and so my commission rate will drop to 30%. So by the time I need this to be lucrative( in September when I no longer am teaching), I will be making more money with a lower commission rate. I actually have to turn clients down because I can only take on so many hours while I am still finishing up the school year as a professional educator.

So, I am really confused by the low ratings. Yes, they take a high commission, and it really could be lower, but they do so much of the advertising for you that it makes sense their commission would be higher than other places.

I am baffled by all the low reviews, and I can only think of three reasons why:

1) The people writing these low reviews tried to be dishonest and take money from the clients, thus, avoiding wyzant commission, and wyzant found out and let them go, so they are ticked. Don't be dishonest, people.

2) They weren't successful as tutors, and they blame Wyzant. The thing is they might be really good tutors, but they might struggle with presenting themselves well through writing, and, unfortunately, with an online profile, you have to know how to write well.

3) Wyzant is really a scam, and right now, they are making me feel good with all my the business I am getting, and then all of the sudden, they will delete me, and I will see it is a scam. But for now, my experience with Wyzant has been quite positive, so I am going to trust that rather than some strangers on the internet who may just be ticked off for a variety of reasons and going on a rant.

(Like I said, the negative reviews may be true. I have only been tutoring for Wyzant for a month, but as far as my experience shows, they are a great company to get started in the tutoring business)

michelles82
4/3/15

I started with WyzAnt tutoring in March of 2013. It took about 6-8 months to get my first regular solid clients. Once I did, my positive evaluations and word of mouth reputation started to grow my business. My expertise lies in math and science, as I used to be a pharmacist, and there are a broad range of subjects I can help with. It was always the educational side of pharmacy that I enjoyed the most, and now I get to see light bulbs go on in people's minds and understanding take place on almost a daily basis. This does my heart and soul so much good!

WyzAnt provides all of my referrals, and takes care of the business end of things, which I know that I am not very good at. They have handled numerous issues with aplomb, and I always get my direct deposit payments when they say they are coming. I have express pay with them, so I receive payment about 5 days after I enter lesson reports. This means I get paid something almost every day, so I have a nice source of cash flow.

It turns out that I have logged in over 900 hours of tutoring with this company, and I have the honor of being the second most successful tutoring record for the year so far in the Cincinnati/Dayton area for WyzAnt tutors. They recently invited me to join their online platform, and I just gave a pharmacology lesson to two nursing students in other parts of the country because of this! I expect this side of the business to grow slowly, as the local tutoring originally did, but I intend to gradually pull in my driving radius so that I can still serve communities close to me in person, but cater to more students by giving lessons online.

If you have a marketing niche (as I do) and if you follow WyzAnt's Terms of Service rules carefully, it is possible to help many students and make a living doing so over time. I am so glad I accidentally found WyzAnt's website two years ago!

Michelle in Mason, OH.

devrilw
3/23/15

I have been a tutor with WyzAnt for one year, and have had nothing less than a satisfactory experience with this company. As a fellow tutor mentioned in her Face Book post; WyzAnt tutors don't have to concern themselves with finding students, spending hundreds of dollars on marketing/advertisement, or even collecting payment for services provided. I was relieved to know that student financials are handled by one party.The WyzAnt Team eliminates these concerns so I can focus on providing a satisfactory service to my students. I highly recommend WyzAnt Tutoring to students. WyzAnt provides an extremely functional online market place to assist students with locating suitable tutors within their geographical location.

jimb150
2/24/15

I enrolled in WyzAnt as a tutor, applied for numerous positions, and became suspicious when I did not hear back from very many people. WyzAnt admitted that they do not show prospective students every application. I suspect that the vast majority of my applications did not make their way to the students. I am a certified teacher, and I was applying to positions close to my home. I strongly suspect that the reason my applications were not going through is that my hourly rates were fairly low. WyzAnt takes a percentage, so I suspect they try to promote the tutors who are charging more so they can collect more fees. When I finally completed a lesson with a student, all records of it disappeared from the website, and I was never paid. I never received any explanation from WyzAnt, They eventually deactivated my profile, probably because I was not making them enough money. (They never gave me an explanation for that, either.) WyzAnt keeps 40% of the money billed until a tutor has 200 hours in, and the way their system works, it seems to be all but impossible to get in those 200 hours. I would recommend that tutors advertise themselves through craigslist or care.com instead of WyzAnt.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it! There are better options.

ashleys68
2/15/15

Where do I begin? How about with simple and free advice:

Do not -- under any circumstances -- use WyzAnt. Do not glom onto their site's "Reviews and Testimonials" bc these are ridiculously contrived and designed to suck you in (hear that sucking sound??). Instead, do your homework and read ALL the negative reviews on Yelp, SiteJabber, Consumer Complaint Board, etc. Knowledge is power so be knowledgable about the abhorrent business tactics used by WyzAnt. Be smart, be wise, use TutorZ instead. I did and what a world of difference.

I had a horrible experience with WyzAnt in seeking a tutor. Recently, I logged in and left a message for a tutor. WyzAnt emailed saying "based on your previous requests to close your account, we are unable to provide you with an active account moving forward."

The funny thing is, I never attempted to close my account and it would not occur to me to do so.

When I asked for proof that I requested my account be closed, WyzAnt emailed me saying their "......decision to close my account was made in accordance with their terms and conditions, which are available for review on their website."

Seriously?!? WyzAnt can't even explain it to me?? I now have to decipher their legally-written Terms of Service in order to figure it out?? I'm left more stymied than before. It is obvious WyzAnt's email notification is a formal one and certainly not one tailored to me.

I notified WyzAnt again asking them for proof that I attempted to close my account. They responded they "could not help me" and that they were, "finished discussing the matter and no one from their team would engage in conversation over this matter." Literally. It left me thinking, "What the ?!?" The only reason -- and it's a lame one -- that I can think I was banned is because I ended up never using their services. If this is true, what a ludicrous and ineffective business model they have.

WyzAnt is an extremely unforgiving company, so be careful. They are completely unwilling to work with unhappy customers or engage in a resolution. This is NOT a way to do business. They desperately need to change their business model or it will be catastrophic for them. Their customer service is atrocious. Whether you're a tutor seeking work, or a student in need of one, I implore you to not use WyzAnt. Log onto TutorZ instead and be treated with courtesy and respect, qualities WyzAnt simply does not possess.

Be careful when logging onto other tutor sites that appear not to mention WyzAnt as an affiliate or partner because as soon as you click "Send," WyzAnt pops up, and if you've been blacklisted like me, and you think you're going on a site to circumvent WyzAnt, you're not. Now, THAT'S a sneaky way to do business.

Be smart: Beware!!
Be smart: Use TutorZ!!

Tip for consumers: Tip 'o the day: Stay away!
Tip 'o the century: Use TutorZ instead! You'll be happy you did!

frf
2/9/15

Some of the Wyzant tutors are not reliable. They setup sessions and never show, such a Richard Ly. He said that it was a free lesson. Do you believe that? Then he writes a 3 paragraph email to scold me that Do I really expect a Tutor to be able to help? He, himself wrote that he tutor to help others. What a joke. I called Wyzant and they said thatI can't file anything negative against a tutor and I haven't taken a lesson.

toddc28
2/3/15

I've been very happy with the site and client-draw. I'm a tutor who wanted to do just that: tutor. I was not in it for the money (still not) and my first client took MONTHS to come, but less than a year later, I have 4 steady pupils and I'm over 50 hours making 70% of my $55/hour rate. Between the four clients I do about 24 - 27 hours a month. It adds up quickly and the pressure goes away once you decide to do it for fun and to help others.
Now, for me, it's just easy, extra money.

secreta1
1/30/15

The site works well, it's a very nice interface. I have have a profile for many years and have tutored 5 people in that time (so they don't give me much business). I tutor because I enjoy it. I don't want to do it full time and the extra cash is a nice bonus. I do not like that Wyzant takes 40%. I don't think they have done anything to be entitled to 40% past one lesson. The payout structure is absolutely criminal. Wyzant gets 40%? Why? If they weren't so busy digging through emails and charged 15-20% people wouldn't have to go around them and reduce their man hours sifting through emails!

alvahr12
12/15/14

I am greatly enjoying my tutoring success with WyzAnt ! The direct deposits are always submitted in a timely manner eliminating the need to remind clients about payments due or overdue as was my prior experience when operating without the WyzAnt affiliation.

sherryh17
12/9/14

profile team: rating is 'zero' Wyzant profile team removes tutor profiles from their online directory without notice.. this is one of the terms of the independent tutor Agreement which states that Wyzant or the independent tutor can end the Agreement for any reason at any time.. the Agreement also says that independent tutors have absolute discretion with their method of instruction and with services rendered, to Wyzant student users; however, the company violates this term of the independent tutor agreement and will treat the tutor as an employee, stating in one case that the tutor did not convert students into long-term clients; tutors have no obligation under the terms of use Agreement to convert students to long-term clients; the Wyzant site is an online marketplace which connects potential students and tutors .. student users are not screened with background checks and tutors can elect to have a background check ..

Tip for consumers: Wyzant collects payments from students, in full, for services rendered by tutors; Wyzant deducts a percentage payable to Wyzant (up to 40% to start) before remitting the remaining balance (60%) to the tutor..

pamp9
11/24/14

I was a tutor for almost a year and, though they took so much of my rate, I was happy for the new clients. THEN they sent me an email dropping me as a tutor because they said I tried to meet someone outside of the system, which is complete BS. The only thing I can think is that it was was when I had a client be in touch three times - I told her that she needed to put her credit card on file - they seem to put the onus on the tutors to police potential customers. She eventually did, but not until after she asked me to meet her at a bookstore on a certain day. My response was that yes, I'll meet her, but you need to put your credit card info on file. Wyzant accused me of scamming them, then refused (by email - they refused to return my calls and said they would not consider looking into it further) to tell me exactly what prompted my "firing".

Bad customer service. Draconian policies, blindly carried out by people who have no idea what is going on. I hope they only treat their tutors this way and not their customers. Scratch that - I hope they do because maybe they will go out of business.

steevm
11/14/14

As an undergrad, I tried Wyzant to get some experience and make a little extra money. I gained a couple students, and had some decent sessions, but few and far between. The worst thing about Wyzant is that they make you forfeit your privacy rights in their terms of service agreement. I was corresponding with a student who did not have payment information on file, and that was grounds to delete my account. They monitor every single message ! When a student requests a lesson, there is no guarantee the student will show up. Wyzant would be "wiser" to make student payment information mandatory and charge them for no-shows. This is not a teacher-friendly service. There are other tutoring service websites out there, so best to avoid this one.

suem46
11/9/14

Wyzant gives the impression that they will accept a tutor on the basis on their teaching experience (I have years) their degree (I have some towards a master's degree) and testing on the subjects taught (I passed the subject tests I wanted to teach). Not True.
After I had taken the tests and given them all the personal information they asked for--including my bank account numbers--they sent a email. It stated they were sorry that they could not allow me to tutor for them.
The reason stated was because they did not like my advertisement/intro; which I could have changed. They asked for revision of this x3. I did; but they never stated why they didn't like it. Or how they would like it changed. It was 2 paragraphs. So now they have all the personal info for nothing.
They are arbitrary in their business decisions and I would not recommend anyone tutor or use their service.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother. Start your own.

moganaj
11/3/14

Wyzant is an absolute joke. Tutors, go elsewhere where you will be respected and treated like a human being. Students, go elsewhere where you can get a reasonable lesson rate without a bloodsucking company down your throat.

The students who I found through Wyzant were shady and unreliable. I had three sessions with one of my Wyzant students. I have yet to receive payment for the third session (as of 3 weeks later) and Wyzant has been unhelpful. The payment still reads "pending" and the mother is ignoring my multiple texts, calls and messages.

I had an excellent first lesson with another one of my new students and her mother welcomed me back for further lessons. As I was leaving, she first threatened me saying that I would be fired from Wyzant for taking outside payments and then offered to pay me in cash. I declined, stating that I prefer to go through the website and she agreed that this was fine. She then left me 1 star feedback (the lowest).

I messaged her, no response. I called her and she answered, then abruptly hung up after I introduced myself and she realized who it was. Wyzant has again been unhelpful. They will only remove the negative feedback if I void the lesson and decline payment. Ridiculous policy that makes zero sense.

I WAS a valued tutor on Wyzant with multiple clients but now I refuse to give them any more of my business. Please do not support this underhanded and unreliable company.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this website.

michaels212
10/14/14

This website is a scam. I have been a tutor for over 10 months and all of a sudden my profile is removed because of policy violation. And they won't even tell you what it is. The thing is that they take 40% of your fees first, and when you get more hours in when they are bound to change it to like 30% or 20%, they remove your profile. Absolutely scam of a business.

brianp47
10/10/14

I had been a tutor for over a year and had great experiences with 10 to 12 students. Never had a problem with any students, which many worked with me several sessions. Then, out of the blue I receive an email (just as others here have mentioned) that stated I violated a policy and my profile was being deleted. After a couple of phone calls, no one was able to tell me anything. Without any idea as to why this should happen, no one was willing to share anything with me. It was bizarre and a mystery. Steer clear of these clowns. This is not the way to run a business by biting the hand that feeds them!

franw2
9/23/14

Yes, WyzAnt is a scam! I am a CPA who wanted to make some extra cash on the side. They would take 40% of what they billed students and then just dropped me without any explanation? I am contacting the State for which they are chartered and hopefully have the company audited.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from WyzAnt!

sashas18
9/20/14

Wyzant has the worst customer support I have ever experienced. The only thing they care about is money, they don't care about the students or the tutors. I have had my account deleted without warning or reason and when I tried to resolve the issue, they said "We will not discuss this matter." They are poorly trained and have no intelligence in their communication. I guess if you're not bringing them money they don't want or need you in their site.

barbaraw31
9/15/14

I have been a tutor on WyzAnt for 3 1/2 years. I was in the lowest tier (receiving 60% of my wages) for 4 months. The first job was the hardest to get. I tried several different styles in my response. I did not reduce my rate; I do not believe it would have gotten me my first student faster. After my first good review, accepts came in faster.

WyzAnt is a great value. It provides the structure, documentation, a separate Email system (I'll get to that later), tax documentation (including mileage), and potential students, One of the mistakes I made in the beginning was to state my first and last name on some of my job replies. Because of this, a few of the "students" (their parents) "found me" and called my home directly; One stalked me. WyzAnt's strict policies protected me thereafter. Don't get me wrong. I will, after establishing a working relationship, exchange phone numbers and let some know where I live (tutor from my home), but initial meetings are normally at a public place.

I am now at the max rate. If I get a new student by word of mouth, I still use WyzAnt. I like the centralized control of my business and find it easy at tax time to do my own taxes.

It is now 9-21-2015 (I updated the title), I still use WyzAnt, even for new word of mouth students. I have hidden my profile so that I don't get inquires that I cannot handle.

Tip for consumers: You own your own business. WyzAnt enables this. They are not your "boss", they are a service provider with Terms and Conditions for use. Make your photo eye catching and friendly. Make your "title" memorable. Make your 1st paragraph description succinct and appealing to parents. State your accomplishments and credentials. Understand your customers and meet their needs.

10 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the WyzAnt staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
11/27/15
Add your answer
10/29/15
Answer
vanceh10
A: Post what happened if you contacted them. They refused to answer my question only deferring me to read the rules.
3 weeks ago