US Government's NSF

57%
360 9th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
info@thumbtack.com

People interested in Thumbtack are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

▼ Sort by: recent

rossk16
8/27/15

I needed to move about 12 medium to large cartons of clothing/personal items from the NYC area to SF area. Thumbtack gave only 1 referral, Reginald Tonge with Movers-For-A-Cause in Harrison NJ, who emailed asking for more info. After sending the info, I never heard from him again.

Thumbtack was unable to provide a mover of for 12 ordinary cartons.

I called North American Moving, and they referred me to ShipSmart, who is handling my move. Thumbtack has left a bad impression, don't know if I would ever (try to) use them again. For moving referrals, they clearly are not well connected.

ao33
8/22/15

They take your money whether the lead is viable or not. Even when the season is "at rest", for: example dead of winter, and July (vacation month). The leads keep flying - but no one seems to be serious. People type in while drunk at night thinking about doing a kitchen or bath remodel, then wake-up and change their mind. You get what you pay for. It allows people to shop for home and commercial improvements to real property the same as you would shop for a 12 pack of toilet paper at the big box. They are not screening consumers correctly. Also, they are screening contractors for EPA RRP rule certification, which means they may be enabling breaking of federal law. HELLO FEDS, WHERE ARE YOU??!!

senoriaa
8/18/15

I had an amazing experience with the Elliot's Boys Painting. They provided the best estimate for the job I wanted them to do. When I hired them to do the job they came on time and did exactly what they said they were going to do plus more in a very timely manner. The guys and girls always greeted me with a smile and they where pleasant. They did additional work that other painters where not willing to do without an additional cost. They are true professionals in my book and I am very pleased with their work and so are my neighbors.

sw434
8/18/15

asked for quotes on carpet installation. talked to 3 vendors. decided on local guy who shall remain nameless. all seemed great till communication stopped, was very detailed about what I wanted in Thumbtack request and when he came to house and he told me no problem and he had all these connections he had for great carpet pricing, etc.. we even discussed future work I wanted done! then had trouble getting return calls, a contract, then no calls returned at all! been 6 weeks since last contact and in meantime I went with someone not on Thumbtack and walls are painted, carpet is done and I'm happy as hell it turned out this way. HE will get more work in spring from me and family members! you get what you pay for and not every responding vendor is NOT who he seems to be. no offense to the honest ones!

lillyh4
8/18/15

Random people looking for maybe taking a music lesson send a request and we-teachers have to pay to respond them.
It'd be better if we-teachers just pay one amount for year and students can see our profiles and decide if contact us or not.
This methodology of marketing is not convenient for us.

kareng61
8/13/15

After getting the run around from several handymen I finally go my job done with Jorge Bailon. He took the job, showed up when promised and my deck looks fabulous. I am extremely satisfied with his work and would highly recommend him.. I will call him again for other jobs that I may need. He is very professional and a hard worker. Thanks to the Revol Painting and More company.

krisf9
8/10/15

I recently had Staff Flooring put in new laminate flooring in my house and both bathrooms and the rooms turned out beautiful. I would highly recommend him to anybody. He was efficient and didn't leave until he knew I was completely satisfied.

dons55
8/10/15

I hired a contractor on Thumbtack referral and found out once the contractor started work on remodeling my bathroom. I found out that he was not qualified to do carpentry work or lay tile. He was expensive and now I have had to hire another contractor to tear out what he has put in and re do the work. From what I see Thumbtack does not check out the qualification of the contractors they recommend. It looks like a contract pays to be listed that is all they care. You can go to your telephone directory and do as good as you can with Thumbtack.

Tip for consumers: Use your telephone directory and you will do as well.

allenb46
8/10/15

Thumbtack was a good solid way to get leads. Now that the market is flooded with so called contractors there are not enough work to go around.so to keep thumbtack going someone thought up a great idea lets create virtual customers and let the poor saps bid on them. This might be a job for the Attorney Generals office.

veronicam26
8/7/15

Not really proffesionals..I am dissapointed the way they did my splash back.I will never used this site again.

amandab87
8/7/15

Chris is very repectful and honest on jobs he did for us ....could not of asked for a better person to work with. Hope and best wishes john

waltn1
7/31/15

If you are a service company and they have convince you to advertise with them prepare to chase fake leads and /or drop your price by 50% if you want to get any jobs. If you are a consumer be ready to get bids from people that are not qualify to do their job and some of them with criminal records. Thanks but not thanks.

resam
7/31/15

Thumbtack referred gutterscrubbers.com to clean gutters. They were a no show!!!! but they charged the client!!!

sallyh27
7/29/15

Btad in tulsa removed all debris from my yard and edged. Good job fair price!!

terrys68
7/23/15

PROFESSIONAL, EFFICIENT, AND PUNCTUAL are just a few of the words I would use to describe Anthony Watson's moving service. At a very affordable rate they removed the stress of moving my furniture from off my shoulders which afforded me the extra time needed to focus on the many other details regarding my move. No hourly charges or fees here !! The owner came to my residence and assessed a FLAT & AFFORDABLE FEE despite the length of time involved. There was constant communication and transparency via email, they anticipated & addressed all needs both current and those that could potentially arise, and they even provided an extra boost of confidence by securing and padding my furniture ! I would recommend this company to anyone ! Sincerely, Terry S in NC.

donh59
7/18/15

I recently had work done by JPS Service LLC to remove tree and stumps, remove grass and dirt next driveway and install a concrete pad with rebar. Joel Ramirez and his crew did a great job which met all my expectations and was completed in the time promised. Highly recommended.

Loveland, Colorado

davidc227
7/16/15

Over the last 18 months, I have had three small home improvement projects which were presented to Thumbtack for bids and completion. On two of those three projects, Thumbtack claimed they could not provide a professional to complete the work. That is a failure rate of 67%. As such, I will not waste my future time waiting on Thumbtack to deliver.......

davel75
7/13/15

If you find in Google search a thumbtack link that does not go to the content in the link, then report it. Thumtack will often use local business names in their description, then when the consumer clicks on the links, they are led to a bid page, not to the business they advertised. This is called rich snippet spam. If you find it, report it.

marcw23
7/9/15

Unless you're one of the 5 that sit on their cell phones and monitor it every second -- unless you respond to and of the ACTUALLY worth while posts within NANO-SECONDS --prepare to waste a LOT of money for constant disappointment.

Even IF you get in and are able to land a quote unless you literally low ball yourself and services you're not going to land a project. After the first couple attempts when it became clear I had to respond instantly and I got no reply to a quote I cut my professional services to about $10 an hour just to see if I would land something --NOTHING! Which also tells me this service is probably catering to kids / people that can work for peanuts. OR -- MORE LIKELY--they're fake posts generated BY THUMBTACK

Oh yeah -- and the positive reviews? Chances are very good that's their happy money-stuffing staff stacking the reviews ala Amazon-esk.

as2445
7/2/15

Hired a long distance mover and they took my money and my stuff
Had good reviews but 8 weeks later my stuff did not arrive
Company called local
Logistics never ever use them we will see if thumbtack helps

tedh16
7/1/15

Andre Coursey and his crew recently built a new fence and three gates for our home. We can't say enough great things about the quality of his work and his utmost professionalism in our interactions with him. We highly recommend Ascot Fence Company and Andre! We are definitely spreading the word!!! Thank you, Andre!!!

richelled
6/18/15

I feel the leads were bogus, not realistic and the inquires were fake.
I liked the idea and concept of what thumbtack's approach was though I feel the leads were very random, duplicates of the same people asking for the same services that were not real.
My investment was $46 thank goodness it wasn't more.

donnab57
6/18/15

Richard and Dennis did all the work on my newly constructed deck from designs to installing lighting on the steps. Their prices were fair for this upscale deck and I am completely pleased. They made certain I was completely satisfied with the end product. I now have a wonderful 20x12 Fiberon outdoor room/deck thanks to R&R Remodeling. I highly recommend them.

ninab13
6/16/15

Last year I hired Alln1Services for painting and was very pleased with the job. I recently hired them again to pressure wash our driveway, sidewalk, porch, whole house, concrete around the pool, and the fence. I can sum it up in three words: JOB WELL DONE! Again, very professional and efficient, arrived on time, and did a fantastic job. AND at a very reasonable price! I will continue to use this company for many more jobs.

md93
6/4/15

We are catching up on jobs that needed to be done to our home before we list our house for sale. We asked Ron and his business associate Juan to wash outside windows, power wash our front porch, sidewalk and driveway, and clean a crystal chandelier in our foyer. All of the jobs were done well .

christinel28
5/15/15

Big clean did an amazing job. Quick, efficient, reasonable, personable and when job was completed I was amazed and very pleased. I highly recommend this company for any of your pressure washing needs.

davidw212
5/5/15

I'm a contractor that now uses there service for leads, I started to use them to generate jobs in between my bigger projects. Now they keep me so busy I have to hire on 2 more full-time employees! Thank you thumbtack!

rachels51
5/5/15

Thumbtack

What is Thumbtack? It is a wonderful place on the internet where I found the most respectful, diligent stucco company. I’m talking about Mr. Demetry Thomas LLC. If you want a job well done, in a timely manner, at a reasonable cost, Demetry Thomas is the company to call. He is adamant about his professionalism and gave a life time guaranty. Thanks , Thumbtack for connecting me with Demetry Thomas LLC

carolb72
5/4/15

Aroma Cleaning Services cleaned my carpet!! Gus first came to my home to give me an estimate, and it was a small carpet. It was a very fair estimate. He came back in a few days, exactly on time, and cleaned my carpet beautifully. What a great job he did!! I highly recommend Aroma cleaning Services for your cleaning needs, not only for the cleaning job, but for the professionalism, and the price. Check it out!
Carol

matthewe11
5/3/15

I own a video production business, and 90% of our work comes from Thumbtack.com. What's great about Thumbtack is that you don't need to waste time trying to find work - the work comes to you. Every day I get new leads arriving by email. Thumbtack literally saved my business. I would strongly recommend it to professionals and freelancers everywhere.

donnaj15
4/12/15

Senior Pepes Jambalaya Paella was excellent, it was enjoyed by all of our guests! It's not easy to please 200 people, however everyone was very impressed by the service, presentation and the great taste of Senior Pepe's Jambalaya Paella! In the past six months
I have tried the seafood, meat & now the Jambalaya Paella which we found to be the best
ever, it was absolutely AWESOME! THANK YOU SENIOR PEPE FOR YOUR EXCELLENT SERVICE AND MAKING OUR EVENT A SUCESS!

lynettem4
4/10/15

i will definitely use at your service again.
lynette

boba41
3/28/15

These guys are another homeowner contractor search site. They have a different approach though. You tell them what you want and they will find the contractor for you. I'm a little uneasy about this approach as I would rather pick out the contractor I want before inviting them over to my house. Part of me wonders if they take this approach to mask their lack of content. I'm really not sure. I do like the nice clean layout of the site and they look professional. For me, it's not really how I operate though.

anner19
3/26/15

I contacted thumbtack to get a guitar teacher. They promptly sent me several instructors profiles, but they didn't match my needs as I'd described on the questionnaire. The instructors seemed to mostly teach beginners and children and I'm middle-aged and not a beginner. Also they were mostly jazz musicians and I play rock and blues.

susant38
2/11/15

I asked for someone who was willing to pick up yard debris that was already bagged and dispose of it for me. Joe Hollalr of Hollar Construction gave me the best bid, showed up the day I needed him, and kept me informed of the time he would arrive. He and his partner were pleasant, professional, and I asked them for an estimate on a painting job. Very likely will hire them again.

roberts221
1/26/15

My name is Robert, and I have been using Thumbtack.com for leads in the home improvement industry. I have been using them for about 3 months now, and I have had no return on my lead investments. I have a good profile built there, according to their standards, and the correspondence from potential customers is extremely low. There is zero accountability for the customer to commit. Up to 5 service pros at a time send bids to potential customers. The leads are very vague, and customers appear to be "kicking tires" most of the time, instead of looking for a service they will actually use. There are those that have had a very good experience through Thumbtack, and good for them. I, unfortunately am not one of the privileged in that category. I have spent about $300 in 3 months, and have not landed a single job from them. I do not think it is a scam, but I also think that there is absolutely no qualifying to the type of lead I pay for. I recommend that Thumbtack refund any leads that are not hired out. That would at least keep money in the bid pool for the actual true lead that seems to come 1 out of 50.

8/13/15 - I would like to make an amendment to my previous comments about Thumbtack.com. As with alot of things in business, success takes time. My opinion of Thumbtack has changed to the degree that I would like to move my rating from 2 stars to 3 stars. Although there is still alot of potential customers that simply want a big something for nothing, there are also more true leads present than I first had estimated. Perhaps the time of year, the type of lead, or simply coincidence led me to a negative experience when first using Thumbtack. I have landed a number of jobs, collected 9 reviews, and have replaced my lead money and pulled a profit. Although Thumbtack services to the potential customer, and the service professional pays the price, time has proven to make Thumbtack.com a useful tool for "fill in" jobs between my larger contracts. If you are planning to use Thumbtack.com as advertisement, and for new job leads as a service professional, then let me give one piece of advice. Only spend on leads what you can afford to lose with no expectation of a return. Eventually a job will land and a review will be placed. Do not compromise your integrity by trying to lowball to get the job, as that process has proven to be ineffective. It just takes time for that one job to land to get the ball rolling, and many months later I am categorized by Thumbtack as the 3rd best contractor in the greater Bessemer, AL area. So if you choose to go the way of Thumbtack, or a similar lead based site, be prepared for it to take time to get established, and be familiar to it's users.

beverlyo3
1/25/15

Wright Renovations is a great business to use for work around your home. Their price is reasonable, their work is excellent quality, the project is completed in a timely manner, and they have a pleasing personality. I will use them again.

kgbe
1/18/15

This business you pay per bid on a job. On the plus side you do get lots of leads on jobs, real or not, who knows? As a DJ I have bid on weddings, way below normal prices for local area to get the work, and still don't get them. I updated my Thumbtack page with the latest pic and videos of my last events along with cheap prices and still nothing. I have discussed this with Thumbtack reps but nothing worked so I have spent my last dollar with them. Think I will try local bulletin boards and Craigs list. They are free. If you try Thumbtack, good luck.

josephi55
1/14/15

I have spent so much trying to get customers from here with no success. The customers do not tell you WHY they chose someone else....perhaps I could be in better competition if I knew why. ALSO AND MAYBE FOREMOST, after I get a request maybe 10 minutes later I respond but get a notice that the requestor already got their maximum responses and I am told I can't respond after 5 competitors got in.

Tip for consumers: Don't waste your time with this. TOO Scamy

melinied
1/12/15

I've found great pet sitting and dog walking jobs through them. Their website is easy to navigate.

Melinie

timothyc22
1/9/15

I used a roofing company for my dad's in Fort pierce which I found on this site jeff's roofing inc.I found to be very professional always stayed in contact with me and his crew did great work.

margaretw23
1/4/15

Cleaned 3 rooms hall and stairs was done very well. Mr. garlic was very professional.

lorab7
1/4/15

As a widow in an older house in Phoenix lots of minor repair jobs stack up. A leaky toilet hose rotted some drywall. My wooden back fence needed attention and my swamp cooler was constantly whining. I had a leak in the garage roof. Ian Kinkade from Midas Welby's not only did the repairs, but made me comfortable about having him in my home. He's on my list of favorite people.

nolac
1/2/15

C+M Lawn Care has been in business for 25 years and are still going strong. If you need your grass mowed or the weeds taken care of he's the one to call.

judym28
12/9/14

David Gomez was a very good "handyman". He showed up on time and completed our jobs. He built steps, repaired drywall, fixed doors that were sticking and was reliable. Would recommend him and I would use him again.

leahv2
12/7/14

Was looking for a bathroom remodeled in reno area last summer. Didn't want to go thru complicated process of hiring multiple contractors to do one bathroom. Found robert carpenter on thumbtack. One guy did it all! Recommend him highly.

lorrainec9
12/4/14

I was very happy for my experience with thumbtack. I was given quote very quickly and spoke to Ralph Valdez and he was great and reasonable. We set up a time for him to come and do the job I required. The next day He called and came early. All I needed was a desk put together and the job was not too small for Ralph. Thank God he was able to do this little job for me. The job was done very well and completely, and he even took the trash out.

cherylr10
11/22/14

DJ philly phil, is a outstanding DJ very strong with old school music with a excellent list of jazz while we were eating our dinner, keep the floor moving again overall was a excellent choice in chosen him, very detailed with us

honestyg
10/28/14

Thumbtack is scamming people out of hard earned cash. See real stories on pissed consumers.com

How can they explain a viewed email that was never viewed?

jamesd112
10/25/14

T Sheehan,
Creative Home Designs 1
Jim did a complete inspection while walking us around to point out the many things that were never done prior to his superb exterior work. The important areas on the house like corners post,siding corners/joints,window seams,door seams. He also explained why our paint did not last more than four years. As we had seen Jim's crew work there magic bringing our house back from embarrassment to being proud to show all our friends!
we had wished we hired Creative Home Designs the first time!

Super excellent professional work!
We recommend Jim's company
T.Sheehan Mendon,Vt

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Thumbtack staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Dear Thumbtack:

I haven't had a Thumbtack post for weeks. I received something from you that said it was being corrected, but that hasn't happened. Any word yet on when there will be postings?

Laura
6/22/15
Answer
tysonk8
A: The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"
7/13/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: I am interested in doing work from home work. Re: typing, data entry, telephone work, etc. Do you have jobs regarding the types I mentioned. If so, how do I apply. Thank you.
7/7/15
Answer
melinied
A: Hi Janet,

I have no idea if Thumbtack can assist you. I am not sure why they asked me to respond since I am a pet sitter/walker.

Melinie
7/7/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

Thumbtack?