US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

greggp4

Two of those refunds were from customers that chose "to have a friend or relative" do the work. (in 91 reviews)

dons55

The contractor assured me he was qualitied to do the job. (in 103 reviews)

darlenea4

I'm actually a service provider who utilizes "Thumbtack" for the majority of my business. (in 48 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

biennenidas
5/23/16

I schedule my appointment for 3pm and Smart Carpet was there. Mr Moesha was very attentive with details answered every question i asked he wasm honest. My mothers in law carpet was dirty!!!!
He proffessionalism went beyond what i expected
Happy with results

joycea18
5/21/16

This crew did a great job. Due to the rain and other factors, they worked through it all and finished the job. Did a good job of cleanup. One needs to be flexible due to the distance they are traveling to get to the Charlotte and surrounding areas.

lindak91
5/19/16

Jose was the first to call & followed up to arrange a time to check out our problem. He was on time, explained the problem & fixed it quickly. It was all done in 30 minutes at a reasonable charge. We took his number & will recommend him to our friends & neighbors. Coppell Family

johns1316
5/19/16

I sent a review to Thumbtack. It was a negative review about someone on their site selling audio video installation. They asked for backup to prove that I had done business with the person. They said I had all the time I needed. After I submitted the information, I was told it had to be done within 48 hours and they refused to post my review. Obviously, the person in question pays Thumbtack money and I do not. Thumbtack is a joke and just caters to those that pay them money.

dawnw41
5/15/16

I have had the opportunity to train with Troy Woody in the Rockford area. I am completely impressed with the professionalism he abides by and portrays to his clients.(myself). I started training as a 48 yr old woman with type 2 diabetes and a very uncomfortable 253 lbs. Troy's knowledge of physical and nutritional science has taught me how to change my physical apperance along with my internal health within a realistic time period of one year. Troy's understanding and compassion for his trade and clients have been the inspiration for my success today. I have recently been taken off all diabetic medication and now weigh 200 lbs and dropping. This transformation would not have been possible without the dedication not only of myself but the patience & education I have received from Troy. This experience has ultimately changed how I live my life today. HEALTHY.

nataliav4
5/14/16

I had a chance to work with a great professional Johny Pierce from J&J Construction & Conceptual Design LLC. He did the job very fast, worked very hard, created his own design, took care of all the formalities for me and built a beautiful deck for me. He is also very friendly and pleasant to have a conversation. My neighbors also loved it and say that this is the best deck in the village.

sheilap23
5/14/16

Sheila P.
Torrance, CA

I was panicking one night after dinner because the power of the electrical outlets in the kitchen area of our condo suddenly went out. Thinking that service will not be provided till the following day, I went online and submitted a service quote via Thumbtack. Literally, within minutes Tony from Shore Break Electric did not just emailed me a quote but actually called me and walked through with me over the phone on resetting the circuit breakers. I would have never known this because I am not an electrician. Not only Tony saved me time and money but he also saved our food in the fridge. Thank you Tony and rest assured that you will be my future electrician.

johnh522
5/13/16

John Ciancia of CSM Masonry just completed a repair of brickwork around our front porch.Really nice workmanship and a good price.A nice guy to work with

ednar13
5/13/16

We were looking for a Pre-Algebra tutor andit is very hard to find a good one, We found Mrs. Louise Sizemore and it has been a great experience for my Daughter. She is very professional and flexible and has a lot of patience; My daughter really likes her and always says positive things about her tutorial class, she makes the lessons fun and the most important she found ways to explain difficult issues in a clear and simple way, We made a great choice. She is very talented as well and we will use her tutorial services again! We highly recommend her professional services. Edna R.

robertk156
5/13/16

I hired a cleaning lady through Thumbtack last year. She kept pushing me to give her a good review on Thumbtack. I told her I would after she worked for me for awhile. She did a great job cleaning so I gave her a great review on Thumbtack. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of leaving her alone in my house one time. She stole jewelry and blank checks that were cashed. I wanted to prevent anyone else from experiencing what I did so I went to change my review on Thumbtack. My plan was to just say "I will never allow this woman in my house again". Unfortunately, I wrote the review and it was rejected by Thumbtack because I had already reviewed this person once. I called Thumbtack and explained the circumstances and told them I wanted to change my review. Their policy is to not allow a change in review once it's been made. I strongly disagreed and was transferred to a supervisor who was very sympathetic and assured me that Thumbtack would review it's policy and would get back to me once it was reviewed. It's been over two month now and I've never heard back from anyone and you still can not change a review. In my opinion, I would not trust any reviews posted on Thumbtack as you have no opportunity to find out the truth about who you are contracting with through Thumbtack. I will never use them again.

thumbtackv
5/13/16

Thumbtack, while a great idea, has problems that plague both consumer and vendor.

The vendor is told that Thumbtack is an "introduction" service. Thumbtack sells the "introduction" to 5 vendors per request. The price of the "introduction to each vendor can be as low as $3 to over $20 per "introduction". It's possible that Thumbtack is collecting from multiple vendors 25, 30 or even 50 percent of what the consumer is looking to pay for whatever services they want. Thumbtack doesn't want to reimburse or credit back to the vendors for people that say that they hired someone outside of Thumbtack. Better than 90% of the people that use Thumbtack do not provide contact information. Vendors can use the Thumbtack interface, but no phone numbers, business name or anything else other than a personal name is generally provided. The requests are usually very very generic and do not provide adequate information to provide pricing for the service they say they want. As such, you cannot provide a quote or need additional information from someone that you do not have contact information for. Thumbtack is also appearing to appeal to the bottom feeders of both vendor and consumer as of late. Who, as a professional, can or would provide services at a rate that would require subsidy from some other source of income? The expectation of most of the consumers that utilize Thumbtack is to find bottom of the pricing scale vendors.

Consumers wouldn't want to utilize a part time doctor or attorney, but Thumbtack allows non-professionals to buy "introductions". While the free market is a great thing, the whole premise of Thumbtack as an introduction service for vendors and consumers is fraught with issues for both sides. Vendors spend money for "introductions" that are likely never going to amount to work and consumers have no way of knowing that the vendor is really a professional. It's very easy to have a great web presence and do crap work. What's to say that what you see online is actually work or testimonials that relate to the vendor?

Bottom line: Vendor and consumer beware!

dp50
5/12/16

When I received the list of potential voice instructors from Thumbtack, I knew that he was the right person for me. We are both seniors and Mike had extensive experience in Manhattan as a cabaret performer. I went to see him perform at Café Centro in the Northwood section of West Palm Beach. Florida and was very impressed. He sang many of my favorite songs and he was a very terrific piano planner. I took lessons for two months and during that brief time I was amazed at how my singing ability and confidence grew. Mike is very patient and as might be expected, really know his stuff. In addition, each lesson was a mini-concert where I got to hear him play. I plan to re-start my lessons when I re-locate to Florida. Go see Mike during the fall and winter season at Café Centro and you will be impressed as I was.

mrsg4
5/12/16

Had a girl by the name of Tyra come to clean my house I was not pleased with the service she said she would tear up the check because I was not pleased but she cashed it instead I will never use a service from this site again she called deep cleaning vacuuming under not back to being under the sofa and the beds dusting was terrible lied to me awful service very dishonest also said she brought someone to help her clean for two hours cleaning for $95 what a joke told me she mopped the whole house and I asked her to that was a lie .had to. do go and re-clean my house myself. Her name is Tyra TY or a phone number 985-960-7731 do not use this person she is terrible

cheriel3
5/10/16

They where on time, very friendly and efficient. I have moved five (5) times in the last years and never felt happy with my movers until the last two (2) moves, used Superior Economy Moving both times and I will never call another moving company.

Thanks Superior,
Cherie L.

scottr73
5/9/16

The leads they get are not quality leads but mostly tire kickers. There is no process to ensure the lead quality. Then they tell you it can take up to 10 quotes before you get hired. What a joke.

cynthiat24
5/7/16

I am happy to write in support of Be On Time Cleaning Service. My house is always thoroughly cleaned. I enjoy coming home to a house that looks and feels clean. The cleaner uses products that leave a wonderful scent. my house never smells like beach. They are dependable and on time.

Cindy
Nazareth, PA

patricka37
5/6/16

I requested help with a plumbing project. You'd think you'd get a licensed plumber and you actually must be licensed to do plumbing work in my state. I verified that the respondee had been verified by Thumbtack, but did not in fact have a plumbing license.

Be very careful, do not trust the website to do anything other than verify they have a business license and are not wanted by the DOJ.

dereks41
5/5/16

I had my kitchen and bathroom completely remodeled.they came in,protected my furniture and appliances.from start to finish,very professional.would definitely use there devices again.

angelog13

I just hired Ac R Us
The guys arrived on time
Explained the work to be done
immediately started cleaning my Ac ducts
Job finished in 30 minutes
I highly recommend this company to everyone who has Ac
Think about when if ever your duct work has been cleaned ?
Great Work
Thanks
Angelo

terrys104
5/5/16

Mark Swann pro movers dud an awesome job

sharond70
5/4/16

This man came in, took charge and was fantastic.

I will always use him in the future.

joet76
5/4/16

As a contractor I love Thumbtack much better than Angies Home Advisor YP Yelp Fixr Smith Contractor,com and a few others in that crowded field They arebetter than all of them..Very specific as to what the customer wants and very reasonable cost for the lead I have had great customers and I have great reviews by customers on Thumbtack Here is hoping they remain the leader in contractor lead generation.

richarda96
5/3/16

I just had my tile installed by Noel Santos, owner of OTB, and I have to say I am so pleased with the results. The floors look absolutely amazing. Noel did a most fantastic job and so fast I couldn"t believe it. Noel also suggested a theme for the back-splash and that to looked so beautiful that my wife is still talking about it every time she walks into the kitchen. I would highly recommend OTB for anyone needing tile work done and the price was better than every quote I received online. Thanks again Noel, I'd give you more than 5 stars but that's all the ratings go up to. Be BLessed !!!!!!!!!

brendar52
5/3/16

I had to replace my garage door and controls, a master garage doors send a this guy, I'm very happy with he's job.

maryo54
5/2/16

Julie from Rei Essence provided me a gentle relaxed Reiki session. She adapted her session to my specific needs. She includes crystals and essential oils for a peaceful and relaxing session. Julie spends time before and after to get to know you to be sure you are getting your needs met. I highly recommend her!

ellenf19
4/28/16

Bill Kai and his crew came to my house to bid my job it was awesome had the bid within the hour and they came back and did the job did a awesome concrete finish on my patio awesome job kai and bill you guys are awesome keep up the good work guys

caril3

Andrew Davis, handyman.
Great all around handyman. He can do electrical, plumbing, general repairs and replace and fix broken appliances. He is courteous, a gentleman, calls ahead and is on time. He is friendly and will do what it takes to complete the job. He is honest and fair in his pricing. I highly recommend him and have given his contact info to friends, family and coworkers

wandas18
4/28/16

I contacted At The top Roofing , For a roof repair and he came gave me a quote .And we had him come to do the repair. He was here at the time he said and did the work was neat and inspected the whole roof.We found out the reason for the leak. The whole roof never stuck down .He was in and out of here in 30 min. for the repair. We had him come back and replace the whole roof and he gave use a price and a time table. He was here when he said he would and it took the 8 hours he said it would take , and he was neat with the job and the clean up .I think he did a great job it is the first time in my 58 years that I have hired someone and they did what they said they would do. at the price they quoted and I would hire he again for anything that he is able to do for me. Thanks At The Top Roofing for a great Job.Will Be in touch for my next project.

sallyb51
4/27/16

My contractor, Zackory Butts of Home Improvement Pros, has exceeded all expectations. I have used Zack for several projects - carpentry; masonry; landscape; to name a few. I will continue to call on Zack. Rates are fair; timely work; polite; and you can count on Zack to do exactly what he tells you he will do. Zack's contact number is 502-320-7789.

Respectfully,

Sarah Bryan
Frankfort, KY

janeh63
4/27/16

The painter I hired, Andy Ingenere did a very good job. I would hire him again.

paulinev2
4/26/16

First time we used them but I can tell you this it won't be the last. Steve the owner was so professional over the phone so I didn't expect anything less from him when they came to do the job. They were here when they said they were going to be here - which was a feat in itself considering they are coming all the way from the Modesto/Stockton area to SF. Assessed what they needed to do and promptly began working. How I wish all vendors are like Delta Power Wash and Steve. Makes my work as Facilities Manager so easy. Thank you Steve and will see you in four months!

chrysf1
4/26/16

My company has been working to obtain leads from Thumbtack for over 2 years. The leads are expensive, not qualified and the bidding process is a joke! The whole system of bidding is NOT based on experience or location it IS based solely, according to Thumbtack, on the speed of your internet. Business owners do yourself a favor, don't waste your money, time or effort on Thumbtack.

johns1281
4/25/16

MY wife and I selected K.N.E. Solutions, LLC from a list of contractors on Thumbtack site for the Jacksonville area. It was the first time that we have utilized an on-line referral service and we were pleasantly surprised with the results. Ed Capps, his wife and crew did a great job on the window-washing, inside and out and tracks; cleaning of the tile floors in kitchen and bathrooms as well as the hardwood floors, floors look like brand new. They then cleaned the carpet in our sun-room which had several deep stains that were created by our pets and moved all of the furniture to be sure all of the carpet was cleaned properly. We will definitely have them back again and highly recommend their services to anyone in our area. John & Nancy

cist
4/24/16

I recently hired Helen Gain of Aunty Helen's Kitchen for my sons rehearsal dinner. The food was fabulous and Helen was wonderful to work with. She took the time to set up a beautiful spot for the serving dishes. I highly recommend her for any catering needs you may have..btw her garlic mashed potatoes are beyond belief!! If you choose her for your catering needs you won't be disappointed..

greggp4
4/22/16

Every month, I evaluate each of my marketing vendors to make sure that I am spending my money wisely. Here is my report for the month of April 2016.

April Thumbtack Efficiency Report

During the Month of April I purchased 42 bids from Thumbtack (up 24%). That is a surprise to me...I fully intended to buy less, but admittedly, Thumbtack has been the best thing going for my business despite my frustrations with their increasing costs and lack of transparency over half the time.

One thing I want to mention and have read on other reviews is that I don't believe that Thumbtack ever posts fake bid requests. I believe that all of the bid requests are legitimate. The main problem is that 50 to 70% of those that request bids never follow through and hire a professional.

Here are my results from the Month of April

The Ugly side....

50% of those quotes were viewed but no other information was given (unchanged from last month). I can only assume that they did not act on the quotes and were fishing for approximate costs or not serious about hiring a professional. This is simply not acceptable from Thumbtack. Either these clients need to be vetted, or Thumbtack needs to document more closely why a professional is not being hired. I also have observed them taking positive steps, but this number is still virtually unchanged in the last month.

19%-Have been refunded back to me (no change). While I appreciate this, it tells me that Thumbtack is not doing a good job on the front end of the process. That means at least one in five requests are not serious about finding a professional. A professional that is willing to pay for their business. Perhaps some form of chart showing general estimates for the particular task might be a part of the front end user experience. . Two of those refunds were from customers that chose "to have a friend or relative" do the work. This is a nice new step from Thumbtack.

2%-Potential clients that I discussed details with and then they ghosted. One of these marked me as hired but never returned an email. There is no record weather they hired a professional on Thumbtack or not.

The more reasonable side.....
12%-I was marked as not hired (down from 13%). I can accept this number up to about
65% as long as all the other columns I mention here are zero.

5%-I have been hired (down from 6%) In addition, Several clients that I bid on in March reached out and hired me during April and even early May. I should go back and revisit those numbers for the Month of March. I should also mention that several former Thumbtack clients have hired me for multiple events.

5%-Currently exchanging information with a perspective client.

7%-As stated by Thumbtack, the client changed their mind about the event. Acceptable to a point.

5%-It may be too early in the process but they have viewed my quote and have not contacted me.

The bottom line...

31% of the Thumbtack requests were legitimate. 69% of all Thumbtack users wasted our money.

I have to say that Thumbtack is trying to improve their service to the vendors that pay for the site but they still have quite a way to go in order to make it unquestionably the best value going in the market. Having said that, I spend several minutes to an hour using Thumbtack each day. I place bids from my phone and when given the chance, I follow up with those whom I placed a bid and still may be indecisive about their project/event. You have to work, be persistent and professional on Thumbtack to have any success at all.

Thumbtack has added a Readiness to Book section which is a tremendous improvement to gauge how serious the client is about booking a contractor. They choose one of the following choices....
Committed to booking a photo booth
Planning to book a photo booth if it fits my budget
Researching options for my event
I would much rather pay a larger fee for actually booking a gig, than paying for a service where 69% of my investment vanishes.

Professionally
Gregg A. Pohll
Owner & Operator of GAP Photography, Centralia, Washington.

steveh159
4/20/16

I believe this business is a ripoff. We are a cover band and have been playing for years with good response from other booking sites. I get about 10 times as many request for bids from Thumbtack than all the others put together. The problem is I have yet to get one reply on a bid, request for more information or a contract. In that you have to pay a fee up front to get leads and they deduct different amounts depending on the lead, just does not ring well with us. Yesterday, a Tuesday, I got 8, yes 8, leads for a wedding band in the same day. I passed on all as my experience in the pass is it is a waste of time and money. We are a seasoned group that get many gigs playing and always looking for ways to get more. Which got us to try Thumbtack. Most leads we get have questionable information about them and errors. We have received many with the same information or errors in the request. Just can't believe so many different people make the same errors or ask the same questions. Besides with other sites we use, about half request more information or respond one way or the other. Not going so far to say this is a scam but do believe they send out false leads just to get you to use up your funds and have to deposit more.

jeremyc49
4/20/16

Charlene Chartier is a great massage therapist. She really knows what she is doing. you can tell she is very knoweledgable and experienced. Great experience.

paulan13
4/17/16

Beyond Clean is a company that I would highly recommend for cleaning your carpet. The best choice package is worth the value. Daryl is very professiona, courteous, outstanding at what he does. He worked quickly and did a wonderful job on my carpet. His work was thorough and detailed. My carpet was a mess with stains, on stairs and landings and high traffic areas. I am well pleases their work and would recommend Beyond Clean to all my friends and family. KUDO's to to your staff and your efforts to go the extra mile. Outstanding job!!!!!!!! 5 STARS for you!!!!!!!

pameab
4/15/16

Although I went with another landscaper as he did both types of work this company was very kind about me changing my lawn service...I am sure they would do great work

davids496
4/15/16

I have been a part of thumbtack sense early 2015, I have gotten 10 jobs from the site, now I have put in 65 quotes ranging from 3 credits to 9 credits have only got ten, now the funny thing is thumbtack made a big mistake by sending me a monthly review, now on this review they show you how many bids that I was the lowest bidder hmm I didn't get any of the jobs, I have now called the Albany ny BBB they have officially taken 950.00 in bids from me and the big mistake thumbtacks is making is they answer your quotes and ask if I can come take a free quote at there house , I said yes I can the funny thing is the text talking stops 3 minutes later the quote has been taken down because customer is waiting for a better time you are scumbags thumbtack you should be in jail stealing thief I am shutting this down I went to an attorney I am asking any other contractors have had same issue my lawyer is willing to add you to this law suit I am about ready to serve to them. I will not stand for my hard earned money to be taken from me

jamese74
4/14/16

I am a wedding officiant. I can say this: out of many, many requests for quotes, I've quote on about 18, never gotten a job out of it. I can't say whether the requests are valid or phony; I can say it was a waste of money.

tracyc80
4/12/16

Excellent job very detail oriented and meticulous work! Very pleased with the services will highly recommend them to everyone!!!!!!

jl121
4/11/16

Brandon painted my house and never finished.He did little prep, bad workers and did a sloppy job.Now I have to hire someone else for a few thousand more.What a total ripoff.Even got paint on my brand new roof.I complained and Thumbtack never helped me get him or my money back.

mauraw1
4/11/16

As a follow up on my review of interstate electric I was contacted by sitejabber (?) To discuss my horrible experience. After calling their number and being left on hold for 45 minutes both times I left a mesaage as well as replied to tbe e mail they sent me. No follow through by any customer rep. Thumbtack is as bad as the people they advertise on their site. I will never use tbumbtack or anyone they recommend.

oseiasr
4/10/16

Love your work, my home every time you come is wonderful! you work very well! for this reason have you to 3 years cleaning my house ... love your work, cleaning and excellent and you are trustworthy! thanks

miken83
4/6/16

Thumbtack is fake and there should be a class action lawsuit against this company. Leads are bogus.

carlosv20
4/6/16

Please don't spend any money on this. You will not receive any leads from it. You are better off investing somewhere else. PLEASE BELIEVE ME - If you look at ALL of their public pages -they have removed the reviews sections - because they are not HELPFUL.
There customer service was also a disaster - but you can always give them a try and see for yourself - I don't normally leave negative reviews- I just don't have time for that. But I think this is worth letting people know about it. I'm not sure if it is based on fake profiles, but we did not receive ONE lead from 20 quotes we sent out.

ronb74
4/6/16

The clients on this sight are price hounds, and don't want quality work, they'll keep withdrawing and re-submitting requests tile they find some unlicensed, untrained, inexperienced side gig hustler to do the job for the price of lunch at McDonald's instead of paying a real professional. I suggested to thumbtack several times to also charge the potential client credits as well to filter out the frivolous inquiries.

ginar28
4/5/16

This site is a financial nightmare for a service provider. My company wasted some money and moreover, time communicating with leads who were evidently not serious. Professionals, beware of this company, as well as all others like it designed to drain small businesses.

faste12
4/4/16

Horrible - It's easy for your competition to post false jobs for you to bid on without being able to recoup your credits.
I lost a lot of money. Please DON'T use this app.
You NEVER got your money back!!!

22 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Thumbtack staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 week ago
Add your answer
2 weeks ago
Answer
thumbtackt
A: We're here to walk you through meeting new customers and getting the most out of our site, Jackie. You can see more information on how Thumbtack works for pros here:https://www.thumbtack.com/pros/how-thumbtack-works. You just need to copy and paste that link into the URL in your browser. If you have additional questions, please give us a call. We can be reached at (800) 948-2034.
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.
Thumbtack?