US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jond6

The result was an old address for them I had, "Phone number Unknown, Email Unknown, Social Networking... (in 40 reviews)

mikev25

I would like to revise my review and give the company 5/5 stars for their customer service. (in 20 reviews)

nickk27

Like many others who reviewed Spokeo, I paid $1.95 and received zero information. (in 91 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

sabrinar5
9/5/15

Cannot get in touch with anyone. I wrote an email and left a message the first night I ordered the trial. The site kept asking for more money and it charged me 14.95 and I just got billed. 17.95 this month.

frankb80
8/22/15

I was supposed to be charged just $0.98 but ended up being charged £13.91 for what was supposed to be a weeks trial! What a rip off! Worst rip off company I have come across.Also a waste of time because they did not give me any info apart from the state (which I knew anyway).

bubbas
8/22/15

They try to get you to join the auto debit plan and give you crap for results. I got more info from my own searches then they did. All they provided was city and state. What a ripoff!

davem124
8/20/15

Tried using. Looked at for 5 minutes and would not work. Canceled in six minutes. Refuse to give refund. BEWARE. They promise you a lot but give you carp.

edwardk31
8/19/15

You will be billed for $19.95 whatever opt outs you choose. Customer service refunded half of this but I'll contact my bank about this charge. Very polite to me but a sleazy operation. How much do they take in before you realize this charge?

matthewt29
8/15/15

i threw away about $35 trying to access an ex-girlfriends social media to see if she may have been chatting with someone other than me
or cheating on me. what i got for about $35 was nothing more than a past and present address, i already looked that up for free on the internet. total rip-off. what a scam, i wish i had been smart enough to recognize the difference between a B.S. ad/rip-off,
and a legitimate information service. oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

paule108
7/29/15

hooo 2 risky with this spokeo lot id only need t use the info once a lot of bad reviews looks like itl b difficult t stop em taking money from my account .... they should have a 1 day only use of payment like thru paypal

dianeb45
7/28/15

Never, Ever use this company. If you sign up and cancel they will still charge you. Ever thing is wrong about this company. I read the agreement stating I could cancel anytime hassle-free online, which I did. I should have know something was wrong when I cancelled and didn't get a confirmation email. The information is of not much use either.

dairizq
7/28/15

Spokeo is spot on, on their research but are very cheeky when it comes to canceling your 7 day limited trial. They either give you to a 500 Error when you try to unsubscribe, or if you use a backup link it sends you to a 404 Error. They make sure to make it as hard as possible for you to unsubscribe; my advice is if you can do everything else free, do it that way, and avoid this waste of time.

bd29
7/21/15

I payed $0.98 with a credit card to reverse look up a phone number.

A month later I review my credit card statement and see my $0.98 charge to Spokeo , and then another charge of $19.95 to Spokeo for "Subscription".

I called my credit card company to dispute the charge. My credit card company called Spokeo, we had a 3-way phone conversation and Spokeo agreed to cancel my subscription and refund my $19.95 payment.

Just another BS company trying to lure people into an automatic subscription, with automatic monthly charges to your credit card.

peterg74
7/21/15

This is a dishonest company DO NOT USE THEM. I did not sign up for 19.95 a month AT ALL. Spokeo hit my credit card and is charging me that amount and from what I've read they will do it until I stop them. I've already called my bank and reported the fraud. I had to do this because Spokeo says to cancel what they have inflicted upon me requires I have a login -- I DO NOT HAVE A LOGIN with these ripoffs.

salleej
7/18/15

It says they have a name and address. After you pay, it comes up unknown. Rip off.

gregl35
7/16/15

This company's disclosures regarding the use of its service are not clear at all. I used the service to obtain a quick reverse look up of a number. Then, you are automatically signed up for a 7 day trial. However, I never received any type of email regarding such. Apparently, it is buried in the long customer agreement.

Of course, when I called to question the $19.95 charge, the representative informed me that I was now a monthly subscriber, since I did not cancel within the 7 day trial period. Of course, they kept my $19.95.

This company needs to be much more transparent. At a minimum, it should send you an email that your 7 day trial period is about to expire.

I will never do business with this company again and will be certain to share this with everyone.

lilibetht
7/15/15

I should have checked the review first before I signed up at Spokeo. I closed my account an hour after I signed up because their search doesn't actually work. I got an email after that I will not be charged but they charged me two months. I called them and they said because I closed one feature of the account and not the other one. What the hell is the other one but the search engine? I ended up paying for the two months and the interest on my card because Spokeo won't reverse the charges. Waste of money. They are scammers!

michelep13
7/12/15

I did a reverse number search for .99 and now they are charging me 17.95 a month. I complained to the company and told them to unsubscribe me and reinburse me my money and they recharged me another 17.95.

jamesm285
7/9/15

I paid $0.95 for no useful info, cancelled online within three days but still got charged $19.95 a month later.

johnm498
7/6/15

I suggest anyone who has had problems with Spokeo should report their credit card as being lost or stolen, and get a new card issued. The recurring charge will cease.

mikaelm
6/30/15

I cancelled my account on Spokeo after 1 month.
And they still charge me 2 times per month.
I lives in sweden and dont know what too do
best regards
Mikael Marnerg

pj71
6/30/15

They cheat you off the 7 day free trial. Does not return search information and charge you without any communication.

ericak4
6/28/15

This company will rip you off all they want is your information so they can take money out of your account and when u ask for a refund they try to give u half the amount !

cierral
6/18/15

They charge me over $70 in monthly fees when I was only aware of a $.95 trial. Its ridiculous. When I asked to be refunded I was only given $30. Terrible. If you don't cancel the trial within one week they charge you monthly, as well as some friends fee, that was not mentioned in the beginning.

davidk136
6/12/15

Not only do they charge when I have clearly stated on the same day that I "tried out" their People Search for $0.95 and then cancelled any additional service, when I call the company speaking calmly and expressing my non use of service and previous cancellation, therefor requesting my $19.95 be refunded, these THIEVES are willing to refund ONLY 9.95 of the $19.95 charged to my credit card WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION! WATCH OUT! These guys ARE THIEVES! (As the "star" ratings above give only a positive response of minimum one star, so I chose none. If possible I'd give them a NEGATIVE five stars.

jow19
6/8/15

We had a death in the family and needed a number for a $1.95 I have it. I would give a review score of a five and am not because the delivery of my information required logging on which didn't work therefore I had to call. I got a very helpful spokeo rep. on the phone who delivered my info she was so nice. I will use spokeo again it is worth a buck ninety five for sure. Make sure if you only want one search you don't click on the free monthly trial and then you won't be dealing with credit card issues.

annc41
6/5/15

We've just tried to place an internet order and had our card refunded because the seller used Spokeo to check out the email address and Spokeo came up with someone who isn't me ! So much for accurate checking - don't trust them peeps.

michaelh156
5/28/15

False advertising, Spokeo doesn't have the records they claim to have.

emmanolab
5/27/15

I just used Spokeo and thought I was spending $3.95 for six months of use. Wrong. It's $3.95 PER MONTH for six months use, $23.70 total. I imagine that how they lay out the charge is not illegal; just easy to misread: It says "6 Month Membership $3.95/mo. Yeah, it's all there, but I can't imagine I'm the only person to read it as $3.95 for the entire six months.

I canceled my membership as soon as I got their email telling me what they charged me. I asked for a refund based on my misunderstanding of their charges and the fact that they do not post the full amount for six month. My expectations are low....At least I will read until my eyeballs fall out the next thing I consider buying online.

Update May 31, 2015: They refunded me $19.75, the difference, I suppose, between what I thought I was going to pay and what I actually paid. Did not expect that. They defended their wording but gave me the refund anyway. I'll take it.

I wanted to add this information since many other review spoke of problems getting refunds, or being charged even after cancelling. I still have to see that they go through with this, and also don't charge me again, but they have sent me an email saying they are giving me a refund.

cynthias28
5/26/15

Call 1-800-699-4264 to get this service cancelled. Looked up 1 number paid 95 cents did not get the information promised. Then I got billed $19.95 on my credit card statement, called and they said I signed up for a free 7 day trial and did not cancel it. I did not sign up for a free trial, what you don't know is if you pay to look up a number, you get signed up for a 7 day free trial that turns into a 19.95 charge on the 8th day on your credit card bill. When you get your credit card bill that is a month later. I called as soon as I saw it on my bill and Taylor said she couldn't refund my $19.95 but she could cancel the subscription to prevent further billing. Well I didn't argue because I didn't read the fine print. Well then I got my next months credit card statement and another $19.95 was billed, I called and was told that had already gone thur the day before I talked with Taylor, I told Dillon if it did Taylor did not see it because we only talked about the 1 $19.95 charge and I told her I did not want another charge to show up on my next months bill and she said it wouldn't and she gave me a confirmation number that my subscription had been cancelled. Easy, right.....wrong he couldn't give me back my $19.95 charge due to the fact it had already went thru the day before I talked with Taylor. I told him they would refund the $19.95 and he said he could only do $14.and change and I told him I would have American Express fight the charge and I would put a negative review about the company, he then still tried to get me to agree on $14. I said no and then after putting me on hold for a second he came back and said he would give me the $19.95 back on my next months bill. We will see if that happens! I will not use this service again. TO FOLLOW UP........I did receive my refund on the next credit card bill for $19.95, the number I called was 1-800-699--4264 to get this resolved.

teresad10
5/22/15

This site advertises a 6month trial for $3.95. They don't tell you you pay $3.95 for 6months upfront. When you cancel or check your charges you are charges $23.70. I would recommend upon cancellation notify your bank so they can't take additional charges from your account.

jimr61
5/18/15

Subscribed and cancelled Spokeo after 1 day. Received a confirmation E-mail the same day. Saw a charge this month on my credit card for $14.95 reference Spokeo/Biz Shark. Called my credit card and they said the charge appeared for the past 13 months. Called Spokeo and they agreed that I had cancelled the service, however I did not cancel the Biz Shark add on service. I have never heard of this nor did I subscribe to this service. They agreed to refund 3 months so I am out $149.50. As a result I have filed fraud charges with my credit card company.
This is their business model so please be aware of their practices and understand what you are agreeing to. Most of all verify your monthly credit card charges. Not taking the time to verify cost me $150.

nicoleh28
5/9/15

I can even get on to get the info. And I already payed

jamesl123
5/6/15

Note that Spokeo, unlike most reputable sites doesn't show a pricing list. Try to find out the pricing before signing up -- its nearly impossible, unless you start using the service. And then as you go along the hidden upgrades pop up and each one adds to your overall monthly bill. There is something dark and scam-ish about Spokeo. I used it for two years, but as they kept limiting features (and then charging for features that used to be part of the premium package), I decided it was not worth it. I'm glad I left Spokeo, I don't want to be associated with a site that seems to be operated by grifters.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it. Run! Run far, and run fast, but get away from this huckster-run site.

amyp40
5/6/15

I was thinking about using Spokeo, decided not to when I found they no longer accept Paypal so I would have to give them my credit card number, & when I saw the term below. However, I tried the number at the bottom of the page to see if I could reach them if I wanted to cancel, & promptly reached a human being when I selected the "do not have my credit card #" option. The number is 1-888-906-0850. She said she could cancel subscriptions, or they can be cancelled online.
Potential users should take note of this term that is in the terms you agree to if you sign up with them (which means Spokeo can actually put a virus on your computer & you agree you can't do anything about it)-
YOU USE SPOKEO.COM AT YOUR SOLE RISK (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM, LOSS OF DATA, DAMAGE RESULTING FROM RELIANCE ON INFORMATION FROM SPOKEO.COM, OR OTHER DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM OBTAINING ANY CONTENT FROM THE WEBSITE INCLUDING COMPUTER VIRUSES) EVEN IF SPOKEO HAS BEEN ADVISED OF OR IS AWARE OF THE RISK OF SUCH DAMAGE.

kelseyk1
5/4/15

I used spokeo about 6 months ago and cancelled everything it told me to so I wouldn't get an extra charge! I checked my statements and go figure because they had my card info even though I clicked don't store they charged me anyways for a subscription I didn't even have. When calling tech support they "claim" they can't issue a refund because the billing cycle is over. I call BS on that I work in retail and have billing cycles but even after that date I can still issue a refund. Then he tells me I'm trying to override my computer and can only issue you back 7$........really that's not what they withdrew from my account!!!! Even if you cancel you membership and subscription be wary they may charge you anyways!

juanp34
4/28/15

Spokeo was given an $800,000 fine in 2012 for violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Why are they in business ?

jol123
4/19/15

Signed up and paid. Then started using it. You only get 20 searches a month, AND, when your search comes up, everything you click on is considered a search and counts against the 20 allowed! You could literally, easily, use up 10 searches or more on one person. Spokeo is a Jokeo! I canceled my subscription but there is no refund. They just do not auto renew you, so I am out $23.70.

riikp
3/28/15

Signed up for trial offer w/spokeo
tried a search with a known person
service did NOT return relevant info
I then went intot he web page and discontinued service
got credit card bill-
BILLED FOR 6 MONTHS
called them, oh, sorry, there was NO trial offer and we biled for 6 months
they knocked it down to 3 months
RIP OFF

bad service
bad company
DID search on know person
SPOKEO found NO info --- again - RIP OFF

Tip for consumers: DO NOT
money hole

kelseyw1
3/24/15

$#*!ty service! No information! I'll make sure this website gets no business if they don't recidit my money in 2 days!! Bill $#*!!

kristim8
3/7/15

Why in the hell would Spokeo advertise on Google (Switzerland), allow me to pay for two different searches, and then tell me that they do not search internationally!? What the F?! that makes absolutely no sense!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Do not waste your money or your time trying to get your money back!

bradc25
3/2/15

I found spokeo on the web and before I was going to give my credit card number I called to ask questions I waited over 20 minutes no one answered I then called back and put it on speaker phone as I took a shower sure enough still no answer so I found this site that has nothing but complaints and bad reviews!! Im thankful I hadn't signed up and gave my credit card number but im still trying to find out information about someone does anyone know of a good source!??

rayr24
3/2/15

I went on for one search. They billed me for that search, and a day later billed me for $19.95 for service I did not sign on for.
Called their 800# and the "customer service" operator claimed she couldn't hear me.
Don't use this outfit.
Ray

Tip for consumers: Don't.

deev3
2/27/15

Not only did it not return any results, in the days following I received several fraudulent charges on my credit card. This is a card I never use, so I know it was from the Spokeo charge. Terrible company, untrustworthy.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site

sharonj23
2/19/15

My husband now has access to my cell phone; texts, emails, social media, even phone conversations..YES he can hear my phone conversations..after he paid for the app he then claims to have tried to unsubscribe but now he cant, he is stuck in a membership and Spokeo.com sends him alerts on every action on my cell phone. Buyer beware!!

Tip for consumers: DON'T do it! you are not only being a creep but breaking the law and paying for it. What starts off as one price for a trial membership turns into a recurring fee of up to $70

barbaras43
2/18/15

Don't use Spokeo. You will be disappointed. The results (green checkmarks) that you see when your search is run DO NOT mean anything. For example, in doing a reverse phone look up, seeing a green checkmark by "full name" doesn't mean a name has been found. It just means a search was done. You pay to find out if the search found anything but maybe it found nothing. Either way, you pay. If you question Spokeo, you get a condescending email wasting more of your time.

someonep
2/10/15

I paid the one time fee of $2.95 ONLY because it said it would show me the name of the person. After I paid the name was "UNAVAILABLE" as well as ALL the other information - all unavailable.

WHY THE F WOULD I PAY FOR NOTHING????
I called right away but their office is closed... now I have to waste time calling tomorrow when I could be doing something else. Thanks BS COMPANY!!!

jennn1
2/3/15

Lots of promises nothing delivered and I know they are on multiple social sites

johnn615
1/12/15

What a rip off,put a friends name in who is on many social media sites and you come back with nothing,got to laugh very poor site

Tip for consumers: My only tip don't use this site

1/12/15

They charged me for their service even though I opted out and they sent an email verifying that. This is a rip off. Had to have the bank remove an unauthorized charge, what a pain.

randyv7
1/4/15

I paid the 2.95 for a one time reverse phone call.I didn't get the report that I wanted,so out of principal,I will dispute the charge and I also cancelled my card.Spokeo is a rip off.

Tip for consumers: Stay away,don't go near this co.

bb80
12/22/14

Like many others, I signed up to find out that I could not open the ordered report but was charged the $49.95. I called customer service and was told that I would need to install an updated browser to see it. I did this and still no access. I called back and I asked to cancel the service. They would do so but kept $9.95 stating that they could see the report so it was not their issue. A real rip-off. There are other options but all of these services make their money on the up charges to get any data once you have already paid the initial fee. Keep away from Spokeo and all the rest and seek out an individual investigator for this service.

Tip for consumers: Don't do it.

waynec16
12/19/14

This site is an incredible rip-off. It tells you that you can have a search for $.99, then, if you don't "cancel", WITHIN 7 DAYS they charge you $19.95.

WTF!

NEVER AGAIN F**K YOU, Spokeo

12 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Spokeo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: What happened to my commission in Spokeo? It went down but I haven't received any e-mail or notice from the administrator.
4/13/13
Answer
richc27
A: Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: im being charged by you an i dont have an account
4/15/15
Answer
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

3 Photos for Spokeo