US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jond6

The result was an old address for them I had, "Phone number Unknown, Email Unknown, Social Networking... (in 39 reviews)

mikev25

I would like to revise my review and give the company 5/5 stars for their customer service. (in 19 reviews)

nickk27

Like many others who reviewed Spokeo, I paid $1.95 and received zero information. (in 90 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

mikaelm
6/30/15

I cancelled my account on Spokeo after 1 month.
And they still charge me 2 times per month.
I lives in sweden and dont know what too do
best regards
Mikael Marnerg

pj71
6/30/15

They cheat you off the 7 day free trial. Does not return search information and charge you without any communication.

ericak4
6/28/15

This company will rip you off all they want is your information so they can take money out of your account and when u ask for a refund they try to give u half the amount !

cierral
6/18/15

They charge me over $70 in monthly fees when I was only aware of a $.95 trial. Its ridiculous. When I asked to be refunded I was only given $30. Terrible. If you don't cancel the trial within one week they charge you monthly, as well as some friends fee, that was not mentioned in the beginning.

davidk136
6/12/15

Not only do they charge when I have clearly stated on the same day that I "tried out" their People Search for $0.95 and then cancelled any additional service, when I call the company speaking calmly and expressing my non use of service and previous cancellation, therefor requesting my $19.95 be refunded, these THIEVES are willing to refund ONLY 9.95 of the $19.95 charged to my credit card WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION! WATCH OUT! These guys ARE THIEVES! (As the "star" ratings above give only a positive response of minimum one star, so I chose none. If possible I'd give them a NEGATIVE five stars.

jow19
6/8/15

We had a death in the family and needed a number for a $1.95 I have it. I would give a review score of a five and am not because the delivery of my information required logging on which didn't work therefore I had to call. I got a very helpful spokeo rep. on the phone who delivered my info she was so nice. I will use spokeo again it is worth a buck ninety five for sure. Make sure if you only want one search you don't click on the free monthly trial and then you won't be dealing with credit card issues.

annc41
6/5/15

We've just tried to place an internet order and had our card refunded because the seller used Spokeo to check out the email address and Spokeo came up with someone who isn't me ! So much for accurate checking - don't trust them peeps.

michaelh156
5/28/15

False advertising, Spokeo doesn't have the records they claim to have.

emmanolab
5/27/15

I just used Spokeo and thought I was spending $3.95 for six months of use. Wrong. It's $3.95 PER MONTH for six months use, $23.70 total. I imagine that how they lay out the charge is not illegal; just easy to misread: It says "6 Month Membership $3.95/mo. Yeah, it's all there, but I can't imagine I'm the only person to read it as $3.95 for the entire six months.

I canceled my membership as soon as I got their email telling me what they charged me. I asked for a refund based on my misunderstanding of their charges and the fact that they do not post the full amount for six month. My expectations are low....At least I will read until my eyeballs fall out the next thing I consider buying online.

Update May 31, 2015: They refunded me $19.75, the difference, I suppose, between what I thought I was going to pay and what I actually paid. Did not expect that. They defended their wording but gave me the refund anyway. I'll take it.

I wanted to add this information since many other review spoke of problems getting refunds, or being charged even after cancelling. I still have to see that they go through with this, and also don't charge me again, but they have sent me an email saying they are giving me a refund.

cynthias28
5/26/15

Looked up 1 number paid 95 cents did not get the information promised. Then I got billed $19.95 on my credit card statement, called and they said I signed up for a free 7 day trial and did not cancel it. I did not sign up for a free trial, what you don't know is if you pay to look up a number, you get signed up for a 7 day free trial that turns into a 19.95 charge on the 8th day on your credit card bill. When you get your credit card bill that is a month later. I called as soon as I saw it on my bill and Taylor said she couldn't refund my $19.95 but she could cancel the subscription to prevent further billing. Well I didn't argue because I didn't read the fine print. Well then I got my next months credit card statement and another $19.95 was billed, I called and was told that had already gone thur the day before I talked with Taylor, I told Dillon if it did Taylor did not see it because we only talked about the 1 $19.95 charge and I told her I did not want another charge to show up on my next months bill and she said it wouldn't and she gave me a confirmation number that my subscription had been cancelled. Easy, right.....wrong he couldn't give me back my $19.95 charge due to the fact it had already went thru the day before I talked with Taylor. I told him they would refund the $19.95 and he said he could only do $14.and change and I told him I would have American Express fight the charge and I would put a negative review about the company, he then still tried to get me to agree on $14. I said no and then after putting me on hold for a second he came back and said he would give me the $19.95 back on my next months bill. We will see if that happens! I will not use this service again. TO FOLLOW UP........I did receive my refund on the next credit card bill for $19.95, the number I called was 1-800-699--4264 to get this resolved.

teresad10
5/22/15

This site advertises a 6month trial for $3.95. They don't tell you you pay $3.95 for 6months upfront. When you cancel or check your charges you are charges $23.70. I would recommend upon cancellation notify your bank so they can't take additional charges from your account.

jimr61
5/18/15

Subscribed and cancelled Spokeo after 1 day. Received a confirmation E-mail the same day. Saw a charge this month on my credit card for $14.95 reference Spokeo/Biz Shark. Called my credit card and they said the charge appeared for the past 13 months. Called Spokeo and they agreed that I had cancelled the service, however I did not cancel the Biz Shark add on service. I have never heard of this nor did I subscribe to this service. They agreed to refund 3 months so I am out $149.50. As a result I have filed fraud charges with my credit card company.
This is their business model so please be aware of their practices and understand what you are agreeing to. Most of all verify your monthly credit card charges. Not taking the time to verify cost me $150.

nicoleh28
5/9/15

I can even get on to get the info. And I already payed

jamesl123
5/6/15

Note that Spokeo, unlike most reputable sites doesn't show a pricing list. Try to find out the pricing before signing up -- its nearly impossible, unless you start using the service. And then as you go along the hidden upgrades pop up and each one adds to your overall monthly bill. There is something dark and scam-ish about Spokeo. I used it for two years, but as they kept limiting features (and then charging for features that used to be part of the premium package), I decided it was not worth it. I'm glad I left Spokeo, I don't want to be associated with a site that seems to be operated by grifters.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it. Run! Run far, and run fast, but get away from this huckster-run site.

amyp40
5/6/15

I was thinking about using Spokeo, decided not to when I found they no longer accept Paypal so I would have to give them my credit card number, & when I saw the term below. However, I tried the number at the bottom of the page to see if I could reach them if I wanted to cancel, & promptly reached a human being when I selected the "do not have my credit card #" option. The number is 1-888-906-0850. She said she could cancel subscriptions, or they can be cancelled online.
Potential users should take note of this term that is in the terms you agree to if you sign up with them (which means Spokeo can actually put a virus on your computer & you agree you can't do anything about it)-
YOU USE SPOKEO.COM AT YOUR SOLE RISK (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM, LOSS OF DATA, DAMAGE RESULTING FROM RELIANCE ON INFORMATION FROM SPOKEO.COM, OR OTHER DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM OBTAINING ANY CONTENT FROM THE WEBSITE INCLUDING COMPUTER VIRUSES) EVEN IF SPOKEO HAS BEEN ADVISED OF OR IS AWARE OF THE RISK OF SUCH DAMAGE.

kelseyk1
5/4/15

I used spokeo about 6 months ago and cancelled everything it told me to so I wouldn't get an extra charge! I checked my statements and go figure because they had my card info even though I clicked don't store they charged me anyways for a subscription I didn't even have. When calling tech support they "claim" they can't issue a refund because the billing cycle is over. I call BS on that I work in retail and have billing cycles but even after that date I can still issue a refund. Then he tells me I'm trying to override my computer and can only issue you back 7$........really that's not what they withdrew from my account!!!! Even if you cancel you membership and subscription be wary they may charge you anyways!

juanp34
4/28/15

Spokeo was given an $800,000 fine in 2012 for violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Why are they in business ?

jol123
4/19/15

Signed up and paid. Then started using it. You only get 20 searches a month, AND, when your search comes up, everything you click on is considered a search and counts against the 20 allowed! You could literally, easily, use up 10 searches or more on one person. Spokeo is a Jokeo! I canceled my subscription but there is no refund. They just do not auto renew you, so I am out $23.70.

riikp
3/28/15

Signed up for trial offer w/spokeo
tried a search with a known person
service did NOT return relevant info
I then went intot he web page and discontinued service
got credit card bill-
BILLED FOR 6 MONTHS
called them, oh, sorry, there was NO trial offer and we biled for 6 months
they knocked it down to 3 months
RIP OFF

bad service
bad company
DID search on know person
SPOKEO found NO info --- again - RIP OFF

Tip for consumers: DO NOT
money hole

kelseyw1
3/24/15

$#*!ty service! No information! I'll make sure this website gets no business if they don't recidit my money in 2 days!! Bill $#*!!

kristim8
3/7/15

Why in the hell would Spokeo advertise on Google (Switzerland), allow me to pay for two different searches, and then tell me that they do not search internationally!? What the F?! that makes absolutely no sense!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Do not waste your money or your time trying to get your money back!

bradc25
3/2/15

I found spokeo on the web and before I was going to give my credit card number I called to ask questions I waited over 20 minutes no one answered I then called back and put it on speaker phone as I took a shower sure enough still no answer so I found this site that has nothing but complaints and bad reviews!! Im thankful I hadn't signed up and gave my credit card number but im still trying to find out information about someone does anyone know of a good source!??

rayr24
3/2/15

I went on for one search. They billed me for that search, and a day later billed me for $19.95 for service I did not sign on for.
Called their 800# and the "customer service" operator claimed she couldn't hear me.
Don't use this outfit.
Ray

Tip for consumers: Don't.

deev3
2/27/15

Not only did it not return any results, in the days following I received several fraudulent charges on my credit card. This is a card I never use, so I know it was from the Spokeo charge. Terrible company, untrustworthy.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site

sharonj23
2/19/15

My husband now has access to my cell phone; texts, emails, social media, even phone conversations..YES he can hear my phone conversations..after he paid for the app he then claims to have tried to unsubscribe but now he cant, he is stuck in a membership and Spokeo.com sends him alerts on every action on my cell phone. Buyer beware!!

Tip for consumers: DON'T do it! you are not only being a creep but breaking the law and paying for it. What starts off as one price for a trial membership turns into a recurring fee of up to $70

barbaras43
2/18/15

Don't use Spokeo. You will be disappointed. The results (green checkmarks) that you see when your search is run DO NOT mean anything. For example, in doing a reverse phone look up, seeing a green checkmark by "full name" doesn't mean a name has been found. It just means a search was done. You pay to find out if the search found anything but maybe it found nothing. Either way, you pay. If you question Spokeo, you get a condescending email wasting more of your time.

someonep
2/10/15

I paid the one time fee of $2.95 ONLY because it said it would show me the name of the person. After I paid the name was "UNAVAILABLE" as well as ALL the other information - all unavailable.

WHY THE F WOULD I PAY FOR NOTHING????
I called right away but their office is closed... now I have to waste time calling tomorrow when I could be doing something else. Thanks BS COMPANY!!!

jennn1
2/3/15

Lots of promises nothing delivered and I know they are on multiple social sites

johnn615
1/12/15

What a rip off,put a friends name in who is on many social media sites and you come back with nothing,got to laugh very poor site

Tip for consumers: My only tip don't use this site

richc27
1/12/15

They charged me for their service even though I opted out and they sent an email verifying that. This is a rip off. Had to have the bank remove an unauthorized charge, what a pain.

randyv7
1/4/15

I paid the 2.95 for a one time reverse phone call.I didn't get the report that I wanted,so out of principal,I will dispute the charge and I also cancelled my card.Spokeo is a rip off.

Tip for consumers: Stay away,don't go near this co.

bb80
12/22/14

Like many others, I signed up to find out that I could not open the ordered report but was charged the $49.95. I called customer service and was told that I would need to install an updated browser to see it. I did this and still no access. I called back and I asked to cancel the service. They would do so but kept $9.95 stating that they could see the report so it was not their issue. A real rip-off. There are other options but all of these services make their money on the up charges to get any data once you have already paid the initial fee. Keep away from Spokeo and all the rest and seek out an individual investigator for this service.

Tip for consumers: Don't do it.

waynec16
12/19/14

This site is an incredible rip-off. It tells you that you can have a search for $.99, then, if you don't "cancel", WITHIN 7 DAYS they charge you $19.95.

WTF!

NEVER AGAIN F**K YOU, Spokeo

brandonb44
12/2/14

This site is a rip off. They fraudulently overcharged me to begin with then had a sister company called Biz shark continue to bill my account long after the contract ended. I am going to sue them for fraud. I would NEVER recommend this company

Tip for consumers: Try another site. This one is a scam

beachb2
12/2/14

It is a worthless scam. They will bill you perpetually even if you just sign up for the $0.95 single search. The ONLY way to get them to stop is go to your bank and block the charges.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

ranaf
11/25/14

signed up for a free 7 day trial, cancelled the same day. Then a charge for 99cents and $14.95 appears on my charge card. Very uncooperative about reversing these bogus charges. Told them I was going to challenge it with the credit card company and they finally agreed to reverse the $14.95, but refused to refund the 99 cent "activation fee".

annd14
11/18/14

I paid for a simple phone number trace and days later a charge for $19.99 showed up on my bank statement!!! I have been on hold with them now for 20+minutes and have no reason to think ANYONE is going to pick up. I have emailed them and doubt I'll get a response. I WANT MY MONEY REFUNDED or I'm filing a chargeback! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE!! Do NOT enter your billing information or they will fraudulently charge you! TOTAL RIPOFF! SCAM, SCAM, SCAM. They should be shut down. Call your governor's office of consumer affairs! Have this company taken down and FINED for their unethical/criminal business practices!

sieh
11/12/14

I was attempting to check out a new relationship. I believe in being safe than sorry. The advertised fee is different from the actual charges. I was charged $29.70. then when I clicked on another button, I had to pay $4.95. One thing Spokeo, Check Public Records.com, and Checkmate have in common is that they charge one fee that the consumer think is for the designated service. Then they charge additional fees for information that appears to be in the advertised price. Public Records check is worst than Checkmate, so stay away from it.

davidg124
11/10/14

I signed up for the 6 mths trial at a cost of 4.99, after 6 mths it would start automatically billing a 29.97 fee every mt. But instead what happened was they billed me for the 29.97 instead of the 4.99. It gave me very little information. If I wanted more, I had to agree to moor charges, something like 37.50 / mth. Trying to cancel is another issue. Every time I try to input my cancelation information the system crashes. After about 4 or 5 crashes it finally took the info but couldn't find anything on me.

Tip for consumers: Don't wast your Time and money on this sight! !!!!!!!

lindad56
11/5/14

This company is fraudulent! Do not waste your money! They lie about what they will provide but charge your credit card and then you have to cancel a subscription. Do not waste your money and time with this rip-off company.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this company!

marilynd6
11/5/14

These people know what they are doing, and it sounds to me like they just don't care. They have all the answers. I've called the BBB to complain and will continue to file complaints until they return my money. I certainly hope that if all the people who have had a bad experience with them, do the same. Maybe, we can all be responsible for putting them out of business. Local media in your area may be willing to help as well!!!!!!!!

lolam14
10/31/14

I was charged after canceling. When I called to get my money back the operator wanted to ask questions about the searches I had made, i.e. "on such and such date you searched for such and such, did you find what you wanted?" I reminded the operator that my purpose for calling was to have my account refunded, not to discuss how I used the service. He insisted on going over what I had searched and when I refused he said "ma'am, I'm just trying to do my job here". When I objected to further questioning I was placed on hold. He returned to inform me I would see my refund in 5-7 days.
It appears as though Spokeo charges your account after you cancel with the intention of ripping you off in a manner that will work in their favor in at least two ways. 1., the consumer doesn't notice the charges until sometime down the line, and the company pockets the stolen money. And 2., if the consumer calls for a refund they will be forced to endure pushy sales tactics by the company's sales people to keep the subscription active.
I have seen reviews describing how Spokeo has made multiple small withdrawals from accounts over a long period (like a year) which add up considerably over time, even after the consumer called the company to re-cancel a cancellation, some of whom never intended to start a Spokeo recurring charge at all. I have found even more consumer reviews on other sites where endlessly long threads of customer complaints about Spokeo detail similar and other scams even worse than scenario I experienced. After learning what I have I now feel the need to make changes to my bank account (an extremely drastic thing to have to do) because that has been the only way some Spokeo victims were able to stop the company from continuing to rape their account after their Spoke account was supposedly cancelled.
I find their buisness to be100% unethical.

Tip for consumers: Don't do it. Find a reputable site if possible.
I've attached a photo of the actual confirmation of cancelation email I received from Spokeo. The second photo shows where Spokeo withdrew money from my account three days after the email stating that my account would not be charged again.
It is Spokeo's buisness practice to rip off consumers.

barrym21
10/31/14

TOTAL RIPOFF---unless you want to pay $ for very very little info avoid this site---after entering a telephone number the site does a search and lists what data is available---name, address, etc etc, but once you pay the site only delivers one or 2 of the items it says was available---can you say BAIT AND SWITCH?!
AVOID THIS SITE!!!
I only gave one star because this site requires you to give a star rating---SPOKEO shouldn't have any!

divad
10/29/14

totally scam dont give card info to them 1 star is too much for them

Tip for consumers: totally scam dont give card info to them 1 star is too much for them

ellenz2
10/25/14

They advertise FREE yet they charge ! SHADY

Tip for consumers: Do not waste your time. Not FREE as advertized

rexj8
10/19/14

It's such a crap, i paid 0.7 dollars for a 3days trial service or something, i am sure i didn't subscribe any other service, then after 2 months, it charges me 16 dollars secretly without even sending me an email, and the results you can get from them is totally useless, you can get everything they provide from google by yourself. And i found i am not the only one whose money got stolen by them, can't believe such crap from Stanford graduates. I wish i could give negative scores to them.

jenniferz7
10/14/14

I wish you could give them 0 stars. I used the service to search an e-mail address. It found the person and their e-mail, and stated that they had 9 social sites they were registered on and all that came up was 1 FB that had been deactivated. Where and what are the other 8? Was only supposed to charge me for one time usage and when I rec'd CC statement was $29.70 charge. I called and they did refund $24 of it.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

jackh53
10/13/14

PAID 1.95 FOR A ONE-TIME LOOK-UP. NEVER GOT THE RESULTS BECAUSE THE WEBSITE WOULDN'T TAKE MY SIGN-IN. TRIED TO CALL...ON HOLD FOR 20 MINS SO I FINALLY HUNG UP. WROTE TO THEM BUT DIDN'T GET ANY REPLY. I'LL CHALLENGE THE CREDIT CARD CHARGE WITH MY BANK. THESE FOLKS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO BE IN BUSINESS.

JACK H.

frustrateda1
10/11/14

My poor unsuspecting husband used spokeo for a single search and the result was not only was he charged the single search of 0.95 which was fine, but when his credit card statement came, he was also charged $15.95, 4.95, $30 x 2, and a whopping $89.95! When he finally reached someone with customer service at least the guy that helped him sounded professional, and acted like he truly wanted to resolve things. We did get the $15.95 reversed, but was told the other charges were not related to them. Either someone at spokeo used his credit card information to make purchases, but how can we prove this without getting an investigator involved. I think the other reviews are right. Just don't get involved with them! It's too much trouble!

sandiej
10/11/14

What lies!! I paid for the name and all I got was a map that said the number was coming from a certain city - not even a specific address.

8 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Spokeo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: What happened to my commission in Spokeo? It went down but I haven't received any e-mail or notice from the administrator.
4/13/13
Answer
annb13
A: If I become a premium member will the property report tell me my neighbors insurance company?
7/19/12
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: im being charged by you an i dont have an account
4/15/15
Answer
cynthias28
A: You call 1-800-699-4264 tell them you want to cancel and you want an email to confirm it. They should cancel it. They did for me, but then I got my next credit card bill, there was a 19.95 charge and when I called the person I talked with Dillon said that the girl whom i spoke with 1st could not see the charge for the next month yet because it had just been posted. I told him I wanted my 19.95 back and he tried to just give me part of it back and I just kept telling him No I wanted the 19.95 back and I wasn't settling for less. He kept asking me to agree on a lesser amount and I just kept telling him no, he finally agreed to credit me the full amount. I told him if he didn't I would give them a poor review and I would call American Express to have them fight the charge which they would have. Just don't back down. Ask for a email to confirm it, keep track of dates you called and people you talked to. Hope this isn't to long, but helpful.
2 days ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

3 Photos for Spokeo