US Government's NSF

1st Review:
frans1

152 Reviews for Spokeo.com

Review Highlights

Does not provide the information that the website says it will.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

4/6/14

If you go to their site they will sneak monthly charges to your credit card. You think that you are using the site on a one time basis and they continue to bill you monthly.

3/31/14

I purchased their three month trial and cancelled when I was supposed to. have been charged for 14.95 for 6 months sometimes multiple times a month. I have emailed and called the comp repeatedly. They told me it would be corrected 2 times and they haven't refunded me a penny. The worst part is they are still charging me!!!!!

3/29/14

SPOKEO- This is a site which support scammers and whom they give your personal info from credit card and their scammers steal your money. I read in Privacy- Spokeo does not sell, exchange, transfer, or give this type of Personal Information to any other company without Your consent. Spokeo, do not lie us about it.You give our private info to SPK*BZSHARK. Why and how they know my credit card info. I never gave my private credit card info to them, I gave it to Spokeo only. Explain us why you give our info for them, I think we must to collect all our messages and write to a police about you. Million people use Spokeo and all lost their money because of your FRAUD Sister SPK*BZSHARK. Maybe a court will find who is who? You are THE GREAT HIDDEN SCAM - SPOKEO. I will write and report your SPK*BZSHARK which you support and give info from our credit cards. SCAM !!! Spokeo, Start to give back money from your friends back to our credit cards. Stop to scam us!!!

3/29/14

I have had the same experience as most of the other reviewers. Signed up for a "free trial" then got billed. A customer service rep. then told me "I must be mistaken for a trial of Bizshark" now a month later I get billed for Bizshark, I have no login, no receipt for a transaction, and no record of ever having signed up for this "service". This is a huge SCAM do not get into this mess. Their supposed offering is totally bogus. Look at these reviews!

3/19/14

Paypal CONFIRMED that there were MANY REPORTS LIKE THIS: I knowingly purchased a two month subscription to Spokeo, then cancelled and checked the following month to make sure no further automatic charges were incurred. There was no charge. What happened next was not automatic. For the next two years random charges were put through my Paypal account, sometimes three months apart, sometimes two or four. I incurred 78.00 worth of charges. I called Spokeo, and they apologized for the charges and admitted they were incorrect. One month was refunded to my Paypal account, two months charges were refunded by check. When I called about the missing 45.00 they explained that now their policy is not to refund incorrect charges past a year. If I had not done my Christmas follow up on all charges made in December, I would still be incurring charges. Note that these were random charges. Check your account regularly every month after, not just the month they were allowed to charge to your account. They pulled a quick slip. PAYPAY is investigating.

3/17/14

Don't waste your time with this crap. I wanted information for just one telephone number and got screwed. The number I searched came up with 'info available' in every field, but as soon as I paid for the report there wasn't one single field that didn't say 'information not available'. I complained, and was told by Ethan H. in customer support told that their disclaimer absolves them from any responsibility to provide the information requested, even if the site says it is available. Don't believe all of the alleged endorsements on that site, because it SUCKS!

3/9/14

I selected the .95 cent one day service. Was then charged $19.95 and they will not return an email. I read there response on her that they say they make it clear that it's a trial and you will be charged for a year after 1 week. BS, I looked around when I purchased the .95 cent service to make sure it was just that charge. They will not do anything to help you...beware!

3/9/14

BUYER BEWARE....BIG TIME
I was intrigued with their claims and price..but shocked with what I was billed and the lack of performance. IT DOESN'T WORK IN CANADA by the way....only email addresses. This is the worst thing I was sucked into buying....and their guarantee...."if you are not happy we will refund your money....FORGET IT!
Read the small print on this one...I called within hours of signing up to cancel because it didn't work in Canada, and they won't cancel or refund my money. $40.00 US. I am into it until August and have not got a thing or need anything from their supposedly service.

3/6/14

I was quite interested in Spokeo's service, but had heard from several people that their information was spotty at best.About a week ago, I was almost ready to register, but noticed you get a limited number of searches a month. That number was never clarified on Spokeo's site. I sent an email through their site to Customer Service. Hearing nothing by the next day, I called their 800 number...twice. Both times, I was on hold in excess of 20 minutes each time. I'm STILL waiting for a return email about my inquiry. If the service is this bad before they get your money, I can only imagine what it would be like after.

3/2/14

You are billing me for a service I never requested and are not responding on any of my emails trying to resolve the issue!

Please STOP billing me for Bizshark™ !!!

3/1/14

I signed up for the free trial, cancelled immediately since I didn´t like the service, nevertheless was charged for months....so I had to cancel my credit card...

2/25/14

Not only was the information inaccurate, but I received a $14.95 charge from Bizshark. They claim I opted in their membership when I signed up for Spokeo. There is NO WAY I opted in for Bizshark. What a scam! They are supposed to refund my money. Hopefully this is the end of it.

2/11/14

In June of 2013, I paid a one time fee for using spokeo for some research I was conducting for the nonprofit I work for. I didn't think of it again. Today I checked my credit card statement for the first time in months and I see I am being charged $14.95 once a month for the last 8 months. I called the 800# associated with the charge to be told I opted in to be a member when I did my spokeo charge. Based on the large number of bad reviews online, I believe they automatically opt you in - you have to opt out in some hard to find fashion. They would only refund 2 of the 8 months of charges. What a terrible company, getting their money by stealing it from hardworking citizens. I would remember signing up for a trial period of bizshark and the welcome email they claimed wthey sent - I asked for it to be sent to me again but have yet to see it or get a call back from a supervisor. Someone needs to shut this website down for deceptive practices!

2/4/14

Hey, it's pretty obvious its a scam. All I did was test numbers I knew didn't exist, and they, YAY, had information on them for a price. Everybody knows there is no such exchange as 555.

2/3/14

NEVER NEVER CLICK ON SPOKEO. IT WILL NEVER LET YOU NAVIGATE OFF THE PAGE. Do you morons really think that by trapping people and forcing a total COMPUTER SHUTDOWN just to stop your PRISON OF POPUPS that anyone would give you one PENNY of their money? I HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

2/2/14

Same as the others - it's a scam. I paid $1.95 and got nothing in return, even though it said there was a match. oh wait - after I clicked "get results" they did offer me the chance to pay $2.95 to get what I was supposed to get for $1.95. Fool me once...What a scam.

1/29/14

Okay, this may or may not be a scam site (as in the owner is knowingly being deceptive), but you are certainly not getting anything for your money. They of course have their blanket disclaimer that there are no guarantees on the results, so in other words spend your money at your own risk. I fortunately didn't get the membership, just a one time lookup. Wish I would have came here first.

1/29/14

Said there was complete info on number I entered. Paid the one-time fee and the report came back with absolutely no info except the town. Rip-off, rip-off, rip-off.

1/24/14

Ditto ALL of the above 3 pages worth of DO NOT SIGN UP reviews. I stupidly signed up before checking this site, and I completely regret it. Their site cannot even find things that Google can find - it's a complete waste of time and money. I looked myself up on here, and it found absolutely nothing - and I have all kinds of public web exposure. I think the only person who works here is the one who writes the apology responses for all of our complaints!

1/23/14

Don't waste your money. One star is the least I could give, they deserve none. I was doing a reverse phone lookup. They implied they found information and after I paid they sent a report saying they couldn't find the owner or address. All they could tell me was the city. Well duh, the area code tells me that!

1/23/14

Total scam! trying to help a young Girl find her real parents and this site lured her in to think she had a chance to research, and possibly get some info about who, where and why she was put up for Adoption. You People are just plain Mean! Why do you have to rip off Young Folks,I'm
not very pleased , you cause people to think they might have chance to answer some questions they desperately need answers to.. Shame on You. I Swear dose anyone have a consideration about the next Kid, Young Adult, Human Being. I get more and more cynical everyday ,do you folks really need to steal hopes and dreams as well as our hard earned money. Ha Ha you got over on us! we choose to trust and unfortunately look where that gets Us.. Shame on You (I know your laughing because we are not as sophisticated as you all) This Young Girl had her hopes Up. You be proud of yourself, I'm sure your Parents would be!)

1/22/14

Like many others who reviewed Spokeo, I paid $1.95 and received zero information. BUT I emailed them and received a response and full REFUND within a few days. So they DO refund (at least in my case). HOWEVER, if they are going to charge for information, they should let you know UP FRONT what data they CAN provide (name, address, phone etc) and also what information they DO NOT have, so that you won't have to PAY just to find out that they don't have anything to give you for your money. Then you could decide if you want to pay for the info, without paying only to discover that they have NOTHING new to sell you for this particular individual. Without this feature, you can't tell if you are getting what you want or if you get nothing - in which case it could be considered a SCAM for those unwilling or unable to get a refund.

1/21/14

Total SCAM!!! Before I paid the $1.95, Spokeo showed me an aerial view of home I did the free search of a phone number for, to make me think they had a street address. After all, how can they have an aerial view of a home but no street address to go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM!!!!

1/21/14

Spokeo IS a scam. Paid to get information about myself. I own properties, been paying taxes for 20 years, lived in three major metropolitan areas, have credit cards, etc etc etc...and yet, I go nothing. No information found. These people didn't even bother to look. You pay, and now your money goes to a black hole and never gets back. I contacted Spokeo twice by email, at the address they provide for contact! and got no replies, no answer, and no resolution. Be very careful with these people.

By the way, I Google myself and get plenty of information already within the first few links, including my own current phone number. I make this clarification just in case Spokeo decides to "answer" below (as they use to do with other reviews) claiming that it only aggregates publicly available data. My data are out there, all over the place. And I was hoping Spokeo would be able to get something else that I missed.

1/16/14

First i checked out to see my own information my home information was correct " SCARY " How in the heck can a company do this . It could cause someone to seriously be hurt. I expect several law suits in the future . What if you are being stalked or trying to leave bad relationship ... Second i found there ad for catching a cheater. Well i wanted to see if i am a cheater LOL. so i entered my own e-mail address and guess what they found me on 71 potential site. Total LIE, i am not on anything but facebook. If i paid them money and joined they would reveal this false information. I know i am not a cheater just had to know what that delivish company had on me. In closing i find this the most crazy thing in the world, it is dangerous, encourages stalkers , rapist , murders, child molesters. All with the clik of a mouse and 3.95 you lose all your rights! I dont know about you but i am smoking MAD!

1/16/14

Charged for information that it would not deliver. Called for refund, on hold for 20 minutes, gave up. Sent e-mail, no reply. A complete fraud!

1/13/14

Mostly - the information was very limited and inaccurate. Especially with my own information. I sent updates 2x and it still stayed incorrect.

BUT the worst thing was when I signed up to this site, they also signed me up for another site - my credit card was charged for BizzShark for 2 What a rip off. Since it was near the holidays I thought it was something I ordered until it showed up again this month. What crooks. I canceled Spokeo but continued to be charged for BZshark.

1/8/14

paid for a one year subscription and more than 85% of the time received inaccurate information. What a joke! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. Also, you can click on the privacy link at the very bottom of the screen (where it is grayed out with the other links) and remove what information on yourself is inaccurate. just follow the instructions on the screen. This is definitely a scam. Fortunately I was only charged for the one subscription and nothing further like those I've read about. I'm sorry to hear that all of you who posted got ripped off monthly.

1/8/14

I was charged twice, and didn't get the information I was promised (name). I was told I would get a refund within 3 business days. This is a total waste of time.

1/5/14

Someone I was thinking about dating (and had called on my cellphone) decided she was going to use this service to "do a background check." She looked up my number (a pay-as-you-go Samsung cell phone bought at Wal-Mart). I have no idea what kind of info. that came up, but she started calling me a liar, a fraud, and bunch of insane crap. A word to the wise when using this service: some cell numbers are RECYCLED. Thanks for ruining my life, Spokeo.

12/29/13

DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! I went on the sight to use it for free, but discovered it did not give very good info, so I decided to pay for it to get the info that they were not displaying. I check on some of my friends to discover their information was 6 months to over a year old. How is this reliable? The next day I asked to cancel my subscription and they are offering me $11.00 of my 23.00 payment back. Stay away from this sight. I usually check reviews, but failed to do this and am now sorry for that. Do not use them!

12/26/13

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! Read the other reviews. This is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE "service" they provide. I even tried searching myself and all the information was either non-existent or wrong. I emailed them twice that I wanted my money back because the information they gave me was consistently wrong and they never even responded to me at all. I would not recommend this site to anyone.

12/23/13

Charged $1.95 TWICE for one lookup. The lookup itself came back with no information above and beyond the preview.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a site peddling a service that is broken/unsatisfactory and should not be charging for info I can find on Google myself.

SPOKEO = SCAM.

12/23/13

YOU REALLY GET ZERO STARS FOR BEING CON ARTISTS. I WANT MY MONEY BACK IMMEDIATELY AND A COPY OF THIS PAGE FULL OF COMPLAINTS JUST LIKE MINE WHERE YOU ACCESSED MY ACOUNT AND STOLE $14.95 FROM ME IS GOING TO THE CONSUMER PROTECTION BUREAU, BBB, EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON MY FB AND TWITTER ACCOUNTS AS WELL AS ANY LOCAL PAPER THAT WILL WRITE A WARNING FOR PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY FROM YOU THIEVES, AND DON'T YOU DARE APOLOGIZE LIKE YOU'VE DONE WITH EVERYBODY ELSE. I WANT AND NEED MY MONEY. To anybody who works for you, you can find a more ethical company to work for than this place. Terms and conditions, by behind!

12/19/13

They are NOT accurate. I just searched my own cell number, and they don't even show it to be in the SAME CITY that it is in, and I have had this number for over 12 years. They did get the correct state, but California is a big place, and they were wayyyy off. I don't think I would trust any info they provide, let alone pay anything for it.

12/17/13

rip off. signed up for a 7 day trial for .95 per record and they started charging me $19.95 per month.

12/9/13

After searching for countless pieces of information unsuccesfully, I decided to look up my own personal number, which I have had for approximately 4 years. My number comes up as "Yesenia Rodriguez," however, when I call my office which has caller ID, it shows my actual name. This site is an absolute joke - I don't want a partial refund, I want a FULL refund.

I can find more information on GOOGLE!!!! So much for 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Should have come to this site first and read the terrible reviews.

12/4/13

I too have been scammed by this site. They guarantee 100% satisfaction but they do not deliver. The best way we can get satisfaction is to see this site shut down. File a complaint with your respective states Attorney General, send a copy of all the complaints on this site along with your own. Be sure when/if you send your complaint to your Attorney General, you expand (read more) all the complaints, especially the reply from Spokeo, in that way your Attorney General will get a clearer picture of this company

12/3/13

Subscribed for a year, never once did the site provide accurate information. It promised that it found many results, but when you login and run the search, it does not come up with anything that should be easy to find (you can find your subject in social media profiles very easily using google, but Spokeo misses all of them, meanwhile it comes up with random, inaccurate profiles that are clearly wrong in irrelevant sites). DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

11/29/13

If I could give it no stars I would. I used this site once for 3.95! They said they had 100% info but right after I payed they had NOTHING! It was a complete scam to get the money! But the worst part is they have been charging me 14.95 a month completely unauthorized. I have contacted my bank and we are filing a claim. I am so furious I am getting an attorney so they learn they can not steal people's money like this! They offered to refund only three months and I told them I needed everything back it was stolen unauthorized money from me! They will be hearing from my attorney this whole website is a SCAM! Wish I looked up review prior so for everyone who is reading this DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INFO THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY EVERY MONTH! And spokeo don't bother commenting back with your fake prerehearsed "sorry for your bad expierence" read the reviews spokeo EVERY SINGLE PERSON HAS HAD A BAD EXPEIRENCE ...it's not us it's YOU! And I will not stop until every single person knows this website is a complete scam!

11/23/13

Scam. Paid for information they claimed to have, then found out they were just running a scam.

Edit:
Here's their reply. They did issue a refund (I haven't confirmed it yet, but will in the next few days). But why do we allow companies to hunt and peck like this? Take peoples money and then for the people who don't fight the charge, they make money for doing nothing more than lying and being fraudulent.

"Dear Jeff,
Thank you for your email.
I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Our phone listings typically can provide more information. However, certain numbers are simply not found in our phone directory and may not yield full or accurate results.
Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a People Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. Instead, this information is gathered from a multitude of sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number or email address you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Spokeo's data reflects that of the original sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.
In regards to your refund request, I apologize for the situation this placed you in and would be happy to help you immediately. I understand that you do not plan on utilizing the remainder of your Premium Content. I have gone ahead and contacted a claim specialist from the Dispute Resolution Team.
You have been approved for a full refund of $1.95, which has already been issued. The refund will be credited back to your account within 3 business days. Thank you for working directly with us to resolve this issue.
Questions? Please do not hesitate to ask!
Sincerely,
Michael
Email: https://www.spokeo.com/contact
Phone: 1 (888) 906-0850
Thank you for choosing Spokeo!
Visit us on Facebook and on Twitter!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Spokeo.People.Search
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Spokeo
"

11/16/13

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. I searched on a phone number that they claimed to have the name and address of the owner. When I purchased the information every field was no information found.

11/14/13

Just found that bzshark has been taking $14.95 out of my acount. When I found out that they are the same as spokeo I went on the site to try to find a number to call but had to create account to find the number to call to find out how to stop them. I'm not giving them any info. Guess I'm going to have and file a complaint with my state attorney. to get this rectified. Wish I could do 0 stars.

11/13/13

I don't want to give them any stars. I have the phone number. ALL I wanted was the name. What a big rip off!

11/13/13

I have a rather unusual name so I just looked around without buying. Well it does have many of my previous abodes (I got around quite a bit) but it doesn't have my current one. (I've been here 4 years) Mind you, I fly under the radar, no facebook, no G+, minimal presence on LinkedIn, so it is to be somewhat expected. I looked up the spouse and her info is spotty too, but she's got a spotlight on her. All said, the accuracy is probably below 25% based on my anecdotal experience. (I looked for academic colleagues who also have high profiles)

11/11/13

I would give this site 0 stars if possible. This is nothing but a scam. The information is totally false and they make sure to do a disclaimer so that they can then tell you that they don't need to give you accurate or timely information. This is nothing but a SCAM!!!! Stay away from this site and save your money. It will just be wasted if you give any of it to them. BOGUS!! SCAM!!! THIEVES!!!

11/4/13

I just searched for a phone number. The message I got on the page was this "Success! We Found a Match Get Full Results 100% Satisfaction Guarantee"

When I signed up to get the info, the next message I got told me that no number found, to please check again. I did, same message. So this is what Ima do for this scamming site.

You need to be taught some honesty, so I WILL be filing a dispute with my credit card company, and you WILL refund ALL of what I was charged. You don't want to play with me, trust me on that. And PLEASE don't respond with how sorry you are that I've had a bad experience or whatever you say, I'm not buying so you can just save that.

11/2/13

Not only does it charge you extra by pulling the old bait and switch, but when I asked for a refund I was told I could only receive half of my money back. I'm sure they make a killing off this trick.

Even if you do read the fine print the site isn't worth it. Once you get access you quickly realize that you have to pay even more to get what you thought was basic access.

BTW, you can have your own information taken off this crappy site but clicking "privacy" on the bottom of the page.

Also, I better not receive a reply from one Spokeo's minions. If you were really sorry you would give me a full refund.

10/29/13

Should have read this first...same issue as many...paid my $, said it had the information then came up invalid #...

10/29/13

I used Spokeo for the first time half a year ago and everything was all right (now I realize, probably there was no more money at my old card to charge), until recently I got back to it and subscribed to a 6 month subscription. I was sent an e-mail from the customer support and charged some amount of money from my credit card. All was fine till today suddenly I was charged again for some Bizshark subscription which I didn't get subscribed to. I didn't even receive a billing e-mail or anything similar. I went to the Spokeo profile and at the bottom of my account saw some Bizshark option. I googled bizshark to see what it is and tried to log in using my e-mail. I requested new password and after i logged in it said that my account is cancelled. How did it come that some additional service subscription was done on my behalf or automatically without me being aware of it???? They are obviously linked together. But I subscribed only to SPOKEO.That is scam. I will have to block my credit card and request for a new one because of their service. I am very unhappy. There is even no option on their website to delete credit card details so that they could rip people off whenever they want to again. Bad deal!

About Spokeo