US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jond6

The result was an old address for them I had, "Phone number Unknown, Email Unknown, Social Networking... (in 48 reviews)

nickk27

Like many others who reviewed Spokeo, I paid $1.95 and received zero information. (in 104 reviews)

mikev25

I would like to revise my review and give the company 5/5 stars for their customer service. (in 23 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

rainbown
2/10/16

WHAT A JOKE!!! I signed up for a special "3 months for $9.95 membership". When i got the receipt i discovered that they had charged me $59.70. First of all, the only info I was given was birth month, year, zodiac sign and ethnicity. All of which is useless and already known. When I clicked the "full report" tab they wanted me to pay more money to see it. I then called customer service and they refused to refund my money even though i didn't get what was advertised. After arguing with them and asking for a supervisor they finally said they would refund $44.78. That means they still charged me $14.92 when it was only supposed to be $9.95 for the entire membership. What a scam!

larryk40
2/10/16

Sounds simple. Give us your credit card # and $0.95 and do a search. A few weeks later your card gets debited $19.95! No email, No Warning. If you don't catch it they will continue to do monthly debits from your card. Spokeo is one Internet site where you better read the Terms of Service! Just another internet ripoff. Is it any wonder why people are getting gun shy of Internet businesses? Businesses like Spokeo prey on people that don't pay attention to details and skim over TOS's. If they were to openly state that your search will cost you $0.95 plus $19.95 billed to your card monthly, how many people do you think would use it? Very deceitful.

lor2440
2/6/16

I know I should read fine print more carefully, but this kind of stealthy Internet THEFT should really be illegal. The $20/month that AUTOMATICALLY kicks in after you do a single search for $0.98 should be BLASTED IN NEON LIGHTS for those of us with failing eyesight. These people should ashamed of the worthless "service" they "provide" to scam fools like me.

al19777
2/2/16

I paid to find out who called me. All Spokeo gave me was the town the call came from. I already knew THAT! I can tell by the area code and first 3 numbers where it came from. I wanted to know WHO called me. It said no other information was available. WASTED MY MONEY!

Tip for consumers: Dont use this site

pamelav6
1/19/16

I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER WITH SPOKEO FOR TWO YEARS HOWEVER I HAVE PAID ALOT OF MONEY AND I WAS PROMISED A FULL PACKAGE WITH UNLIMITED SEARCHES THEY KEPT CHARGING MY CARD FOR EVERY SINGLE THING SEPARATE CHARGE FOR NSME SEARCH, Address search, Email search and never have I gotton email address marriage records"NEVER" I called spokeo and I asked them to kindly reimburse me or give me what I paid for mind you O have paid spokeo literally over $300
Pamela

jameelab
1/16/16

I have used this service twice and didn't find out anything. It is a rip off. DO NOT GIVE THEM A CREDIT CARD NUMBER.

marya350
1/12/16

I did a reverse phone number lookup to find out who keeps calling me and not leaving a message. This has been going on for several months. I am glad I signed up for one report for $0.95 and 7 day free trial offer.....which I have already cancelled.

The report, which was according to Spokeo was going to give me name. address, owner's e-mail, etc came back with UNKNOWN as the answer to each item.
Rip-off is the only way to describe Spokeo!!!

cynthiak15
1/8/16

I join Spokeo and wanted more info so I paid for an upgrade . It's has never worked. When I call them they say it's working on our end. I'd called several times, I've email them. I still don't get my upgrade I paid for.

Cynthia Konarski

tinam72
1/4/16

I payed for their premium services for over 3 months, I never ONCE found it to be WORTH the money they charge, It should be removed along with Intellus, and uspeoplesearch and all those others like Beenverified.com is also another TERRIBLE ONE.

Public records are technically free just google "How to find *states* Public Records" for a good start xD

Tip for consumers: 90% of any data you find will typically be outdated, plus they will claim to have info they do NOT ever have, the sites I listed in my review also do the same, and spy fly does too.. though all those sites share one info data base I swear.

sarahb186
1/2/16

Dude thanks you guys for warning me about this site. Nowadays before you make a purchase on a site that you are not familiar with you have to search around and make sure its legit. & i am glad that i did!!! I would have trusted this website with my information & now i know that this place is a SCAM. How are they still running? It doesnt seem fair or right. We all work hard for our money even if its a dollar. That not right for them to do that to anyone. I will never be giving them my business, and i personally own my own business, and i will let everyone i know, know about this website.

howardv
12/29/15

I signed up for a single search thinking it was .95$ and looked on my credit card statement a few weeks later and found a 19.95$ charge for a renewing autopayment. This is very deceptive and I called and canceled. I was told I would only get a $7.00 refund and I told them I would fight this charge through my credit card company. They immediately refunded the full 19.95$. Very deceptive company. I do not ever deal with companies like this.

rebeccab82
12/27/15

I subscribed for the 1 month (Casual Users for $13.95/Mc ( normally $19.95)... suppose to get the full access to everything I needed... so I thought. But all it let me do is put in an email address (which I already knew who it was) but as I stated... I thought I was getting more info for what I paid for... but... for an extra $4.95 charge I could get all of that.... Seriously?? I immediately cancelled my subscription. So exactly what kind of services should I be getting for the 1 month subscription of $13.95 that I paid for?? I haven't seen any good reviews on this site at all. I should of read reviews first but guess you could say I was desperate to find out what I needed. Sighssss!!!

davidh312
12/24/15

There is nothing consistent about the fees on this site. A free search will tease you information, blocking details with an *. They ask you to subscribe for 6 months at a rate like $4.95 a mo. Then you cancel and they will give you a "Platinum" subscription for $0.95 for 7 days. Pretty much like a free trial, but no details as to what "Platinum" is. Come to find out, it is 20 name searches which will give you old numbers and addresses, in which some are current if they still live there or have that number. I did get to make contact with a long lost friend, so worth my $0.95, but anything else they want to charge you more for. Want social media info, another $19.99 a month, until you click on something else, then it is $12.99 a month. It shows there are 4 court records, click on that, it pretends to search specific records and teases you with more info in which it wants another $49.95 for the single report, or $11.80 a month to get search results, not specific details. Oh, and once your 20 searches are over, every detail gets hidden again, even though you have a subscription.

It is creepy to know how much info is out there on people, and now I feel I have given them even more by paying for the 7 day trial, in which I have canceled in under an hour. But it is just a scam of a site that will do everything it can to get more money out of you.

neilb43
12/21/15

I paid $0.95 for a one time search and have now found I have been billed $19.95 for a service I have not consciously subscribed for , used nor have any intention to use

SPOKEO are out and out crooks in my opinion based on my experience

dw560
12/15/15

I saw the pop up from Spokeo, that promised me they HAVE the info I was looking for, and I can retrieve it with my free trial. I paid my $.95 for the trial, expecting to see the information I was promised, and there was none..... also charged 19.95 to get unlimited access. a partial name showed up. then a second offer promising me that they would have the information I was seeking if I paid another $4.95 to get that single address verification. i then basically closed my connection. i went to my bank statement this month and realized that i was being charged monthly $19.95 and an additional charge of 17.85 had now been added which took the same date 1 month later as my original $.95 charged

yesicac1
12/13/15

I was charged 19 dollars for something I didn't find uuseful and wasn't aware that I had subscribe for!! I NEED MY REFUND!!

johnt258
12/12/15

I will not be using Spokeo. Thanks for saving me headaches.

pauls242
12/4/15

I needed to do a search recently for my son's new cell phone that was stolen from him at high school. We used the phone's GPS to track it down. I found the ad for the spokeo $0.95 single search so I used it to explore more about the specific address. Well, a couple weeks later I get an email stating my credit card was being charged $19.95 for a year long subscription.

There was not easily identifiable text in the "one time search" that I purchased stating that it was also triggering a yearly subscription. Very deceptive business practice! So, I asked spokeo for a refund and explained in my request that it was not made clear that I was triggering an automated payment. I asked for a refund of my $19.95. Today, they responded after a delay of almost 2 weeks with a refund for $14.96. What a scam. I am sure they will try to respond to this review as they have with others but their practices do not appear to be changing. Bottom line: I basically paid $6 for a search that provided me with no meaningful information. Save your money. Spokeo is not worth it and they have dishonest business practices. They probably make a mint doing this to a lot of unsuspecting people.

Update: Spokeo finally did me the "courtesy" of refunding the entire $19.95. And to their credit they did it after one final email that conveyed my dissatisfaction. But, I'd like to clarify details of what I feel continues to be deceptive. The automatic subscription after a 7 day trial was not clearly identified at all. It was buried in an ungodly long terms of agreement. I went back and studied the $0.95 offer and it is extremely difficult to find these details. I openly ask for spokeo to clean up this deceptive practice and make the automated subscription more clear and up front in their marketing and web ads.

Tip for consumers: Don't use spokeo!

nf36
11/27/15

I was never on the site and they charged me $40! How did they get my personal information is beyond my knowing and is a very scary thought indeed?! I did not even know what the service was about. They charged me 3 days ago and I asked for a refund but they told me that they are unable to give out refunds but I could use the site until March or May next year. I do not care about using this service at any time EVER! AND I do not appreciate your super friendly service workers when really the company is truly based on unethical practices. Please expose and inform!

chrisg101
11/25/15

Please do not use spokeo they are a $#*!ing scam and don't give you any info and will save you card info. $#*! that! Please take some advice if you have to use a site to look up and old friend or phone number you better off not knowing what does t want to be found seen or heard that's why there's Facebook if you can't find them there let that $#*! go !!!!

alicej20
11/21/15

I started my address search with 411.com. When they did not have the information I was looking for, I saw the pop up from Spokeo, that promised me they HAVE the info I was looking for, and I can retrieve it with my free trial. I paid my $1.95 for the trial, expecting to see the information I was promised, and there was none..... Only a second offer promising me that they would have the information I was seeking if I paid another $4.95 to get that single address verification. SCAMMERS. I am cancelling my membership AND my Credit card so that they cannot continue to charge me.

Tip for consumers: PS
After I wrote my initial review (WARNING), I have read the reviews of others. I noticed that the company replies to every single review with the exact same paragraph. Hilarious.

lindal143
11/20/15

I had previously written a review entitled Beware of Spokeo.
Spokeo responded to my complaint and has refunded the 3 month subscription that I had no idea I had signed up for.
I now give them a good review as they took my issues seriously and redpned in a positive manner to keep a customer happy.

christinep40
11/20/15

Spokeo sucks! When you first enter a name phone number or email address it populates and looks as though they've got all this information that they're going to give you and then my response that I received after I paid was we don't have any information on this person name phone number or email address they provided zero information! But of course I was charged up the *SS anyway.

doloress9
11/19/15

I trusted SPOKEO to be a serious business, however, after I used their services and discovered to be unsatisfactory, I canceled my account the same day and I called them to make sure it was canceled. Three months later my bank has notified me that SPOKEO had taken TWO payments on November 16, 2015, one payment was for $13.95 and a second payment for $17.85 , when I confronted them with this false charges they refused to recognize my claim saying they couldn't find any record of my account! Well, I wonder why would they have a record of my account if I had already CANCELED THREE MONTHS AGO??? Why am I still being charged for a service I am not receiving and why isn't my claim being honored and my money being REFUNDED? PLEASE I WANT JUSTICE and I want them to STOP STEALING MY MONEY NOW...

D.S.

frankz26
11/18/15

Did .95 cent one-time look-up. What did I get Nothing!!! But a constant request for Up-charge!!! They will take your money and give you nothing. Don't listen to their bull$#*! responses on here... they are scam artists and nothing else.

ginac25
11/17/15

dont give them your credit card I did a one time check for a few dollars i dont rember the exact amount and then i cancelled the same night-----they cont. to charge my account for 6 months 17.95 and when i called the female on the phone who was really nice and promptly started a refund lets see if i really get it she did say if you dont see it in a month call us back :( REALLY another scam because they prey on people who lives are really busy or have money mangers who havent asked them about the charge oh yeah and I changed my credit number and guess what? they automatic charged me--- transferred to the new card number the female on the other line admitted that they do that shame on them !!!! tricky little bast-----

robertm252
11/17/15

Since they had my email address and credit card number, I assume I made a search, although I have no recollection of doing so and none at all of Spoken itself. When I called they said I had signed up for a subscription through April for 23.70, When I further complained, they issued a refund of $11 -- obviously not what I was looking for when I called (which was a total refund). I have no idea whether the site has any value, only that they ripped me off pretty good and I would not have realized it had I not checked my credit card bill carefully.

christopherv15
11/17/15

So lets start at the beginning. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine needed some information on someone so i went on this site and payed about one dollar for the search. The search provided me no extra information than what the free information provided. That's not the bad part though, About a week later I found a 20 dollar charge from Spokeo on my bank account. I immediately contacted support requesting a refund and asking what this charge was about. Apparently when i payed one dollar for that one search the site also signed me up for a monthly 20 dollar subscription. It did not clearly state that i was signing up for a subscription and I did not want or need the subscription, not to mention that i could not afford it. simple, just ask for a refund right? WRONG they told me that they could not issue a refund because I gave my consent and it was an auto payment. This started to anger me very much, It BARELY told me that i was signing up, if it did i would have canceled it. I've seen sites do that before, kind of a way of tricking the consumer. However, any other sites would have refunded me but not Spokeo, they refused to refund me, The charge was even still processing when I contacted them. I understand that if i physically gave my consent to sign up then it is my fault. But I did not want the subscription and If it was explained that i was signing up at all then it was probably some fine print at the bottom of the page. Even so, I should have received a refund and I am extremely upset with this entire situation. Not to mention the customer support took 3 days to respond (estimated 1-2 days). I will never do business with Spokeo again and would advise that anyone else follow.

-Edit 11/18/2015. After not giving up and emailing spokeo back they properly issued me a full refund without any questions. Due to the refund I have a small bit of respect for the company since they did in fact refund me. I advise that if anyone has the issue i have had above, Please don't give up because it was not your fault and once spokeo understands that point they will refund you. 1 Star changed to 3 stars for Support

gh407
11/17/15

You think you're only being charged .95 for a phone number lookup but if you don't CANCEL your SUBSCRIPTION- you don't know you signed up for with 7 days, you will be charged $19.95!!! When I called, they didn't even offer to refund the charge when I said I didn't sign up for it! RIP OFF!!!

lauries28
11/14/15

Today I performed a search for a phone number and was charged 1.95, but never received the results from the search. When unable to log in to the site, I contacted customer service. The person I spoke with attempted to supply instructions to view my results. While I had been waiting to speak with him, I performed the same search on 411.com and got the number I needed for free (and with a lot less hassle). When I told him this and asked for a refund, he told me that was not possible. He then asked if I would like for him to perform a complimentary search and go over the results with me. I replied that what I wanted is to view what I paid for, so he again attempted to supply instructions to log in, but got frustrated with my insistence that he stay on the line with me until I was able to successfully log in and view the results I had paid for. Suddenly, he interrupted me to indicate that he had refunded my payment and closed my account. Again he tried to leave the phone call, but I requested a confirmation number and his name. He did provide a confirmation number for the refund and indicated that I will receive no further charges, but would only provide his first name. When I pressed for that information, he gave only an 'identifying employee number'. While I had been speaking with him, I was reading all of the bad reviews from individuals, indicating that their card was charged for a monthly membership after similarly paying for only one search result. To be certain that I wouldn't receive future charges to my card, I accepted his offer to connect me with a supervisor. After about 3 minutes on hold, he came back on the line saying he was about to connect me and then the call was disconnected. I never got to speak with a 'supervisor'. Warning to all: do NOT provide your payment information to this site. It's a ripoff and then you have the added worry that you may be charged for something in the future. I will check my credit card site daily until I see the charge has been refunded and will be vigilant about watching for future charges. What a total waste of time today!

randic2
11/8/15

I signed up for one profile search for 95 cents and they billed me for $19.95 and said that I didn't cancel my 7 day trial in time. What 7 day trial? I didn't know anything about a 7 day trial. I wouldn't have signed up for it if I had known.

As soon as I found this charge on my account I called them. It was on a Sunday. Surprised they answered. The representative said there was nothing he could do about it because it was my fault. I wasn't giving up. Then he said he could issue me a $9.95 credit. I said no I wanted a full credit. He said no. I asked to speak to a manager. He leaves and comes back and said he spoke to a manager and that he was authorized to issue me a full credit. Said I should receive it within 7 days.

I told him I saw all the complaints from people who are having the same problem I'm having. He said nothing.

Now I must wait to see if I get the credit. What a pain in the a#&!

jackiej23
11/6/15

These low life's repeatedly fraudulently charged my card for services I never asked for or used. BEWARE.

charityc3
11/4/15

I haven't actually put my information in to pay for spokeo... I am giving a bad review, because when I went to go pay, it had me logged into someone's account that I didn't even know... I was on my cellphone so it wasn't an issue where someone didn't log out either. Her card info was in there and everything. I'm so glad I looked before hitting submit, so that I didn't accidentally charge someone else! I googled this to see if this was a common problem, and hadn't found anything, so I wanted to put this in a review just in case someone else comes upon the same issue. I'm thinking about calling to inform the company, because that seems fishy and insecure to me. I won't be putting my card information into Spokeo. No thanks!

ronnc
10/24/15

THIS SITE IS A TOTAL SCAM AND FRAUD.
I paid my "premium" membership fee to find that fee covered ONLY email addresses. Each additional item one checks is an additional monthly fee. For example reverse phone numbers, name, address would be 3 added fees.
When I wanted a refund, they would only refund one-half of the $29.80 fee ($14.85).
Customer service representative was not very friendly; but, one could see why with all the complaints shown here.
SAVE YOUR $$$$. I'm still wondering how they continue to operate with so many unhappy former clients.

lynnettem2
10/22/15

No results, no money back. Joke, save your money !!!!
I signed up for 1 month, $13.95, THEY signed me up for 6 months, almost $30.00.
Did I mention, no results ?!?!?!?

tristanc22
10/22/15

This site charges you for each category that you want to look up. Example, after I paid my membership fee I thought I would be able to look all categories. No! I had to pay for name search. I had to pay for phone number search. There are 7 different categories and you must pay for each on top of your membership fee. To make matters worse you only get 20 searches for each category. There are better sites out there for less money

dustinc18
10/17/15

where are you located?
marshallacldwell390@gmail.com

jeffw54
10/16/15

I don't understand a lot of the poor reviews here...I have signed-up and canceled several subscriptions with Spokeo over the last few years from 2013 to 2015. Spokeo never charged me anything beyond my initial subscription fee.

If you sign up for a free trial, you must CANCEL your free trail before the trial ends to avoid charges to your credit card.

If you get overcharged or Spokeo keeps charging each month, you can either google the Internet or read Spokeo's responses to poor reviews on this site to get Spokeo's help contact number and call them. Alternatively, you can call your credit card company to dispute and cancel charges by Spokeo.

Each time I subscribed to Spokeo, they had relevant information for the email addresses and name, age and city searches. Of course, for any name, city and age search, Spokeo returns many records for many people. Spokeo may NOT return information for the specific person that you are looking for.

Also, since the Spokeo returns information from public records, the information that Spokeo dislays is only as accurate and current as the information that Spokeo finds in public records. For example, the square footage for my house is incorrect, and my parents who passed years ago are shown as still living.

If someone searches for an email address that you have used for either Facebook or Google Plus, Spokeo will show some information from your accounts. With respect to Google Plus, if you have an active gmail email address with a Google Plus profile page, Spokeo may display photos that you deleted a long time ago from your Google Plus page. When you post an image to your Google Plus page, Google also posts a copy of the image to picasa web albums. However, when you delete an image from your Google page or a community, the copy of the image is retained in Google's picasa web albums. You must logon to to picasa web albums with your gmail email address and also delete the coresponding image from picasa web albums to make sure that the image won't be displayed by Spokeo...Keep in mind that your picasa web albums also store photos that you only shared with yourself. Also, if you delete your gmail email address without first purging the corresponding picasa web album, the images in the picasa web albums will remain intact.

My biggest complaint about Spokeo is that everything is a la carte. Every possible search has a separate price. So, unless you only want one specific search, you are likely to end up paying more than your initial fee.

loriew4
10/13/15

I cancelled my subscription in June and they continued to charge me for July, August and September. At first the rep. offered a 1 month refund. When I pressed the issue he then gave me another month refund, but refused to give me the 3rd. month. I followed their policy and yet they did not. I think they do this on purpose from what I have gathered from reading different reviews. Shame on you Spokeo for taking advantage of people.

tabathac
10/10/15

It ok

alisont18
10/8/15

I was charged monthly 19.95 for the last three months without knowing it. All I did was buy a .95 cent profile. Then I was charged. Did not see it on my bank statements until yesterday. I was clearly tricked into giving them my credit card number. Scam!

patj21
10/5/15

I would like to thank you for for your reviews and for saving me alot of money for not subscribing.

karenh93
9/25/15

I fell for the free trial. Thought that I cancelled it. Never got another email about continuous charges to my account. Never ever give these guys your account # unless you are vigilant about checking all charges. I get a hundred charges a month due to travel and finally noticed the sneaky charges. If they were legit they would have seen I NEVER used it but for the 1st time and instead they just took the money and ran. Criminals!!!

I do many things via internet and have for years. Spokeo is the only company that I can recall that does not send a notice/email when a card is about to be charged ... or at least has been charged already (i.e. a receipt).

debbiep36
9/24/15

I got a call from a phone number that I didn't know. Having an issue with an annoying ex that rears his head from time to time, I wanted to see who the number belonged to. They claimed to have information on this number. I paid $9.95 for the information. What did it tell me? Absolutely nothing of use! No name, no address, nothing! How can you say you have information on a phone number when you don't? Like I really care if the carrier is Verizon! What good is that information? This is information on the neighborhood. So what? Don't waste your money!

steveh125
9/22/15

I signed up for their e-mail search by accident ($14.85 for three months) when I wanted phone search and was told there was no way to switch the subscription and that I could purchase the phone search for an additional $14.85 for three months.

BUYER BE AWARE: every type of search you want to do is an extra cost with Spokeo; there is no all-in-one subscription; example: e-mail vs reverse phone vs name vs address; each search type has its own pricing plan. So I advise everyone out there to be very careful when you are signing up with Spokeo as they do not make this clear enough during the sign up process.

richardc119
9/18/15

Spokeo is a scam. In the big print, they advertise various search functions for a modest price, on a per use basis. In the fine print they enslave you to a big recurring charge for services not one in a thousand will use frequently enough to justify the charge. Basically, they are preying on people who don't review their credit card bills.

carolb53
9/8/15

If you accidently click on something, Spokeo will do a charge of $49.95 without even alerting you that there was going to be a charge because they already have your credit card #. After you pay to join Spokeo, all you get is names. If you want more info you have to pay for it. You can find the same info for free on peoplesmart,com whitepages.com or pipl.com etc

sabrinar5
9/5/15

Cannot get in touch with anyone. I wrote an email and left a message the first night I ordered the trial. The site kept asking for more money and it charged me 14.95 and I just got billed. 17.95 this month.

frankb80
8/22/15

I was supposed to be charged just $0.98 but ended up being charged £13.91 for what was supposed to be a weeks trial! What a rip off! Worst rip off company I have come across.Also a waste of time because they did not give me any info apart from the state (which I knew anyway).

bubbas
8/22/15

They try to get you to join the auto debit plan and give you crap for results. I got more info from my own searches then they did. All they provided was city and state. What a ripoff!

18 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Spokeo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
2 days ago
Add your answer
11/28/15
Answer
frankb80
A: inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!
11/29/15