US Government's NSF

support@spokeo.com

182 Reviews for Spokeo.com

Review Highlights

teann

Does not provide the information that the website says it will.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

heathern7
9/16/14

Sneaky! be careful! I wanted ONE backround check. I logged on one time , paid and canceled. One year later I noticed a strange charge on my credit card statement. It was this company! ripping me off for a year. They said I auto renewed every 3 months! scam!

Tip for consumers: auto renew every 3 months! they wont let you out!

dawnp16
9/15/14

BEWARE!!! If you haven't already made the unfortunate mistake of using Spokeo...then count your blessings, and RUN LIKE HELL!!!

alicew23
9/11/14

Happily, I just received refund checks from Spokeo and Bizshark. Same company, same address. I worked with my credit card company, who went into action right ans credited my account for over $400! The credits and the checks came quickly.I never signed up for these and didn't study my credits card statements, husband ill, but when I did I was shocked.
Ask for your money back.

cindyc34
8/30/14

THANK YOU EVERYONE, All these horrible reviews are so helpful and personally saved me a rage that I just didnt need to have happen.. You wonder why the hell our dear and self serving authorities and our """"People's""""" gov. and politicians , dont shut obvious scandalous bast---- ,like spokeo , down. Too busy catering to their own special needs and concerns ... what a joke the infrastructure of USA has become... Worthless

Tip for consumers: Very appreciative for the decent people who reviewed these pukes and saved me the aggrivation

pamelam20
8/30/14

SCAM....FRAUD. There is no reason to sign up for this thing. After the $.95 free trial, if you don't cancel (and it doesn't tell you HOW to cancel), they bill you $19.95/mo. The only way I got ahold of them was when I got my credit card bill with their phone number on it....by then, it was too late to cancel for the next month....$#*! is bitter!!!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!!!

marcb32
8/28/14

A scam. I searched on an email address and it said it had 20 social media profile matches. You pay the money, and then it hasn't actually got any matches, it just says "possible" for each social media site -- so you have to look anyway. All the photos and blog posts were for someone else. A complete scam. PLEASE REPORT TO BBB if you have been scammed too.

Tip for consumers: do not waste your money.

johnp183
8/24/14

I agree with the others, this site is a total scam!!! Do not use! I will be fighting the charges through my credit card company. They do not deliver what is promised, second day I went to get saved searches all the information I needed and had the 1st day was fee access only, they want more of my money than the initial 14.94 for 3 months to unlock everything, including address now. I'm usually not a sucker but this time they got me.

Tip for consumers: DON'T US IT OR GIVE THEM ANY CREDIT INFORMATION

jays285
8/22/14

don't bother waste of time. Does not allow cancellation online, forces you to call, and then card is STILLED charged.

allens28
8/13/14

This company is a rip off. It does not do what it says it will and after cancelling the service and getting an e-mail conformation that it was cancelled and that I would not be billed again I continue to be billed and have money drafted out of my account.

louc178
8/7/14

I am writing this review to warn others about my bad experience with Spokeo.

I used their service for $0.99. I found it to be useless so I notified them to cancel my "membership" as soon as possible as their service is not needed and inaccurate. They assured me that my membership will be cancelled immediately and assured me that I will not be billed at all. However, they keep billing me and keep ignoring my messages and never even attempted to contact me at all. Not professional at all - they're ripped off and shonky.

The name of the person that initially contacted me is Song - sounds like Korean name. Both their customer service and e-mail address provided on their website did not return any of my messages and their phone just keeps ringing.

SO BEWARE OF SPOKEO - this company is dodgy. THEY HAVE NEVER REIMBURSED OR REFUNDED MY MONEY THAT THEY OBTAINED FRAUDULENTLY.

kittyr1
8/4/14

Had the same experience of not being able to find any paperwork trail for this site, but has anyone worked out how to cancel? I don't want to have to cancel a credit card over this.

jeffreyb36
8/4/14

This is a joke!! After promising "full information" in all categories, I paid for my three month subscription and found "information not available" in every category! It's a pyramid scheme. "Well, if we didn't provide you the information you wanted, perhaps you'd like to try our next higher membership level, and see if we"ll deliver".(Paraphasing)
If Spokeo offers access to all information, and doesn't deliver, how can this site still be in business?.

caroll22
8/2/14

Useless, SCAM! They give you the option of signing up for 3 or 6 months...after minutes you find it is useless...but wait....it you pay more money....maybe you will get more info?...just trying to milk people for inaccurate info that you can get easily for yourself! Google or yahoo search is free and has more accurate info!

dana370
7/28/14

spokeo is a ripoff, just read their terms and conditions and then RUN...they even say their info may not be accurate and you agree not to be part of a class action lawsuit

marya137
7/27/14

I used spokeo service only once because they are offering for $0.99. After 7 days they billed me another $19.99 and contact their customer service to ask for a refund since i never subscribe on their service. They canceled my subscription on which I myself didn't know that I subscribe and told me I will never be billed again but after 1 month here goes again they billed my credit card another $15 and this really a pissed off. They will give you a refund but not the exact amount they charge in you. This is the way they will cheat on you. Beware guys.

greatlyu
7/24/14

subscribed to "premium" plan over a year ago - 3 months at a time, I have been auto paying and receiving service. Suddenly, my account is not active - I call and they say "due to a glitch in the system your account was deactivated". I said, well, re-activate it! They said, "well, sorry we no longer offer the plan you used to have." I said, that's what I paid for, have come to expect, and would like to continue. They said, "sorry we don't have that anymore. We've made CHANGES." Basically you now get the "privilege" of paying A La Carte for each search! Component by component... Sheesh - talk about tone deaf customer service. Buyer beware - IMO they created the glitch as a way to force an upgrade on their clients. A fool's errand from my vantage point. Greedy sobs misunderstand the market and the value of loyal customers. goodbye forever Spokeo.

stevenz4
7/16/14

I cancelled my subscription with Spokeo but magically they lost the information and rebilled me. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS COMPANY!!!! TOTAL RIP-OFF!!!

jamesd100
7/11/14

I've never even been on their site. They did somehow charge my card 3 times for
$.69, $1.14 & $39.95 on the same day. Now I will have to call & sit on hold til someone fixes it or pay my bank $35 to dispute the charges.

stevem129
7/7/14

Fraud. Promise criminal background check if you sign up. Not so, that is another hefty upcharge. Stay away. Would not cancel and remit after I discovered this on the day that I signed up. So I get three months of a bogus service.

aaronh37
6/20/14

I was very wary after looking at these reviews, but I needed the number. I paid the ONE TIME fee and did not go looking for the discount by signing up for a month and trying to cancel later. Which seemed clear in the instructions as the safe way to go. They said I could have the number for $1.95 and sure enough I got the number for $1.95 just like that.

shandar
6/12/14

Thank you so much. I was just about to punch in my debit card #'s when I decided to search for what others say first. Glad I didn't finish that checkout.

robinm48
6/7/14

Some was true, and some of it was way off!!! Had my dead husband still living at an address that we rented for one year,14 yrs ago!! He lives there with his wife and three kids!! OK........!!! Getting kinda scary I think!!

sylviaf5
6/4/14

I paid to get a phone inquiry listing and I did not receive my information. I should've checked this site before getting scammed!

jordang15
5/31/14

everything here is true, first search gave info after that charged for everything requested as if I was not a subscriber - rip off stay away

garyh53
5/31/14

Total rip off, stay away. Says they found the name for a phone number. After I paid, says name unavailable. Total scam. The government needs to shut these guys down.

johnh227
5/30/14

May 25 I sent a complaint to Spokeo about the accuracy of a phone number trace. Then I noticed a law suit they were involved in with the FTC and FCRA. Google SPOKEO LAWSUITS and see for yourself. They have a serious problem with the accuracy of their reports.

I had a problem with a phone number I tried to trace. Turns out it was on the verizon network and could be run for free through verizons web site for friends of verizon by entering the number. Spokeo said the number was a landline. I mean DUH. YOu should have known better. I sent Spokeo a note and got this response. It appears they think their terms of use and disclaimer over rides the fact they said WE HAVE A MATCH ON THE NUMBER. Here is their response.

DA (Spokeo Support Center)

May 28 07:29 PM

Dear John,

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Our phone listings typically can provide more information. However, certain numbers are simply not found in our phone directory and may not yield full or accurate results.

Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a People Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. Instead, this information is gathered from a multitude of sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number or email address you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Spokeo's data reflects that of the original sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Questions? Please do not hesitate to ask!

Sincerely,
David

Email: https://www.spokeo.com/contact
Phone: 1 (888) 906-0850
Thank you for choosing Spokeo!

Visit us on Facebook and on Twitter!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Spokeo
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Spokeo

tomt42
5/24/14

They don't tell you it is only 20 lookups a month. Also I looked up one and they didn't have it but there was one close so I clicked on it and both the one I clicked on and the one they didn't have counted for a total of 2. I you were really trying to use it to find someone you might not even be able to finish. I asked about more and for $25 you can have 200 anywhere else it would be unlimited. Very poor customer service. It seems they are in the business of ripping people off and the customer service department knows it.

conniea8
5/7/14

Glad I came here first, in one of the reviews Spokeo responded "The reviews you read here are a small percentage of our over all customer traffic, but it is true that we do not always find what we are looking for. Since we are reliant on public sources to be complete". To sum it up...public records, what does that mean, they are records available to the public, not just Spokeo. This may be a "small percentage" BUT ITS THAT SMALL PERCENTAGE THAT KEPT ME FROM BUYING INTO IT.

tinat6
5/3/14

This is the worst scam I have ever encountered they repeatedly charge you 14.95 for a premium membership you cant seem to cancel! Yet they want to charge you for a number look up no one should EVER use this service if you want to call it that .... Give 14.95 to charity it would be a lot better than giving your money away and it's tax deductible!!!!

glennv8
5/3/14

Spokeo Sucks! I signed up for the trail period but did not give me the info like it said. I cancelled the same day, but I was billed $14.95 for 3 months. I called them that I canceled the same day I signed up for the trial period & why am I charged a monthly fee? They said that there are other places listed on their web site for other services that I should have gone to to cancel also. I told the woman that their web site is very deceptive because I didn't sign up for anything else. The woman (Nilaja) said they would cancel my subscription & refund $29.90 for the last 2 months. I just hope they do what they say & I don't have to cancel my credit card.

dales25
4/6/14

If you go to their site they will sneak monthly charges to your credit card. You think that you are using the site on a one time basis and they continue to bill you monthly.

kathleend10
3/31/14

I purchased their three month trial and cancelled when I was supposed to. have been charged for 14.95 for 6 months sometimes multiple times a month. I have emailed and called the comp repeatedly. They told me it would be corrected 2 times and they haven't refunded me a penny. The worst part is they are still charging me!!!!!

teelet
3/29/14

SPOKEO- This is a site which support scammers and whom they give your personal info from credit card and their scammers steal your money. I read in Privacy- Spokeo does not sell, exchange, transfer, or give this type of Personal Information to any other company without Your consent. Spokeo, do not lie us about it.You give our private info to SPK*BZSHARK. Why and how they know my credit card info. I never gave my private credit card info to them, I gave it to Spokeo only. Explain us why you give our info for them, I think we must to collect all our messages and write to a police about you. Million people use Spokeo and all lost their money because of your FRAUD Sister SPK*BZSHARK. Maybe a court will find who is who? You are THE GREAT HIDDEN SCAM - SPOKEO. I will write and report your SPK*BZSHARK which you support and give info from our credit cards. SCAM !!! Spokeo, Start to give back money from your friends back to our credit cards. Stop to scam us!!!

jasonm102
3/29/14

I have had the same experience as most of the other reviewers. Signed up for a "free trial" then got billed. A customer service rep. then told me "I must be mistaken for a trial of Bizshark" now a month later I get billed for Bizshark, I have no login, no receipt for a transaction, and no record of ever having signed up for this "service". This is a huge SCAM do not get into this mess. Their supposed offering is totally bogus. Look at these reviews!

yvonnea1
3/19/14

Paypal CONFIRMED that there were MANY REPORTS LIKE THIS: I knowingly purchased a two month subscription to Spokeo, then cancelled and checked the following month to make sure no further automatic charges were incurred. There was no charge. What happened next was not automatic. For the next two years random charges were put through my Paypal account, sometimes three months apart, sometimes two or four. I incurred 78.00 worth of charges. I called Spokeo, and they apologized for the charges and admitted they were incorrect. One month was refunded to my Paypal account, two months charges were refunded by check. When I called about the missing 45.00 they explained that now their policy is not to refund incorrect charges past a year. If I had not done my Christmas follow up on all charges made in December, I would still be incurring charges. Note that these were random charges. Check your account regularly every month after, not just the month they were allowed to charge to your account. They pulled a quick slip. PAYPAY is investigating.

tomw49
3/17/14

Don't waste your time with this crap. I wanted information for just one telephone number and got screwed. The number I searched came up with 'info available' in every field, but as soon as I paid for the report there wasn't one single field that didn't say 'information not available'. I complained, and was told by Ethan H. in customer support told that their disclaimer absolves them from any responsibility to provide the information requested, even if the site says it is available. Don't believe all of the alleged endorsements on that site, because it SUCKS!

cathieb
3/9/14

I selected the .95 cent one day service. Was then charged $19.95 and they will not return an email. I read there response on her that they say they make it clear that it's a trial and you will be charged for a year after 1 week. BS, I looked around when I purchased the .95 cent service to make sure it was just that charge. They will not do anything to help you...beware!

graemes2
3/9/14

BUYER BEWARE....BIG TIME
I was intrigued with their claims and price..but shocked with what I was billed and the lack of performance. IT DOESN'T WORK IN CANADA by the way....only email addresses. This is the worst thing I was sucked into buying....and their guarantee...."if you are not happy we will refund your money....FORGET IT!
Read the small print on this one...I called within hours of signing up to cancel because it didn't work in Canada, and they won't cancel or refund my money. $40.00 US. I am into it until August and have not got a thing or need anything from their supposedly service.

patp15
3/6/14

I was quite interested in Spokeo's service, but had heard from several people that their information was spotty at best.About a week ago, I was almost ready to register, but noticed you get a limited number of searches a month. That number was never clarified on Spokeo's site. I sent an email through their site to Customer Service. Hearing nothing by the next day, I called their 800 number...twice. Both times, I was on hold in excess of 20 minutes each time. I'm STILL waiting for a return email about my inquiry. If the service is this bad before they get your money, I can only imagine what it would be like after.

amandae12
3/2/14

You are billing me for a service I never requested and are not responding on any of my emails trying to resolve the issue!

Please STOP billing me for Bizshark™ !!!

jorger11
3/1/14

I signed up for the free trial, cancelled immediately since I didn´t like the service, nevertheless was charged for months....so I had to cancel my credit card...

susanb50
2/25/14

Not only was the information inaccurate, but I received a $14.95 charge from Bizshark. They claim I opted in their membership when I signed up for Spokeo. There is NO WAY I opted in for Bizshark. What a scam! They are supposed to refund my money. Hopefully this is the end of it.

melissab34
2/11/14

In June of 2013, I paid a one time fee for using spokeo for some research I was conducting for the nonprofit I work for. I didn't think of it again. Today I checked my credit card statement for the first time in months and I see I am being charged $14.95 once a month for the last 8 months. I called the 800# associated with the charge to be told I opted in to be a member when I did my spokeo charge. Based on the large number of bad reviews online, I believe they automatically opt you in - you have to opt out in some hard to find fashion. They would only refund 2 of the 8 months of charges. What a terrible company, getting their money by stealing it from hardworking citizens. I would remember signing up for a trial period of bizshark and the welcome email they claimed wthey sent - I asked for it to be sent to me again but have yet to see it or get a call back from a supervisor. Someone needs to shut this website down for deceptive practices!

wrathtardb
2/4/14

Hey, it's pretty obvious its a scam. All I did was test numbers I knew didn't exist, and they, YAY, had information on them for a price. Everybody knows there is no such exchange as 555.

angrys
2/3/14

NEVER NEVER CLICK ON SPOKEO. IT WILL NEVER LET YOU NAVIGATE OFF THE PAGE. Do you morons really think that by trapping people and forcing a total COMPUTER SHUTDOWN just to stop your PRISON OF POPUPS that anyone would give you one PENNY of their money? I HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

blueg2
2/2/14

Same as the others - it's a scam. I paid $1.95 and got nothing in return, even though it said there was a match. oh wait - after I clicked "get results" they did offer me the chance to pay $2.95 to get what I was supposed to get for $1.95. Fool me once...What a scam.

nursultant
1/29/14

Okay, this may or may not be a scam site (as in the owner is knowingly being deceptive), but you are certainly not getting anything for your money. They of course have their blanket disclaimer that there are no guarantees on the results, so in other words spend your money at your own risk. I fortunately didn't get the membership, just a one time lookup. Wish I would have came here first.

maryw62
1/29/14

Said there was complete info on number I entered. Paid the one-time fee and the report came back with absolutely no info except the town. Rip-off, rip-off, rip-off.

katiet7
1/24/14

Ditto ALL of the above 3 pages worth of DO NOT SIGN UP reviews. I stupidly signed up before checking this site, and I completely regret it. Their site cannot even find things that Google can find - it's a complete waste of time and money. I looked myself up on here, and it found absolutely nothing - and I have all kinds of public web exposure. I think the only person who works here is the one who writes the apology responses for all of our complaints!

paulc88
1/23/14

Don't waste your money. One star is the least I could give, they deserve none. I was doing a reverse phone lookup. They implied they found information and after I paid they sent a report saying they couldn't find the owner or address. All they could tell me was the city. Well duh, the area code tells me that!

Best Online People Search Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber