US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

edb21

I was most impressed by the customer service whereby they let me know what they were doing each step of the way. (in 13 reviews)

donnah38

I had a great experience using Southtree to convert 30 VHS tapes. (in 15 reviews)

georgiap4

I got a Groupon for Southtree and decided it was time to make this happen. (in 27 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

meralt
6/26/15

I had a great experince with this company. Very fast service

bingm5
6/26/15

THE BEST. I could not be more pleased with the efficient, first class service I received throughout the entire process … from mailing in my VHS tapes to receiving excellent quality DVDs and digital files. All along the way I got frequent email notices about how my order was doing and when i would get my movies back.
I highly recommend Southtree to one and all!

sharonp37
6/26/15

I have used Southtree twice now and have been happy with work they do in preserving memories on dvds. I have also recommended my mother-in-law to send her stuff there and she is happy with hers also. I love the fact they keep you in the loop thru emails from time they receive them till they send them back to me. And they cost less than the other sites and they have sales. So does Groupon

janah9
6/24/15

Where to start! I guess from the beginning. I have always known about all sorts of media transfer places, but just was not comfortable sending all my VHS tapes for fear of them being lost in the mail, but upon recommendation from some close friends for Southtree, I took the plunge and sent just a few at first.
I was extremely impressed with the whole process that Southtree has in place from the moment they receive your media to increments of the process. I was so comforted knowing what was going on throughout the whole process, and upon receiving my new DVDs, it is a blessing beyond belief at how inexpensive it was to turn memories onto DVDs that can be easily watched any day and that are preserved that much longer than my old VHS tapes of which were 21 years old! I definitely recommend Southtree for any media service. They are always emailing coupons and discounts all the time so make it very affordable and you don't miss a good sale if you decided not to act on the most recent discount, they are great group of people there in Chattanooga that really understand how to do this type of job well and bless families.

hilaryd4
6/8/15

I had been procrastinating transferring our vcr tapes and slides because I thought it would be an overwhelming task. Southtree has made this a simple and exciting process. We are having a blast watching recordings we haven't seen in years! I highly recommend Southtree.

billb120
6/7/15

It has been exhausting doing business with this company. After reading some positive reviews I purchased 2 coupons from them through Group-on. BIG MISTAKE. First coupon used I sent them 16 VHS tapes to convert to DVD. Second one used to convert 17 mini-tapes to DVD. I reviewed all the tapes prior to shipping them. there were some minor flaws with them (tracking line that would come and go here and there) but nothing major. When I received the DVD's half of them had issues. One DVD returned had a Hollywood movie on it that was not on any of tapes? Three of the DVD's had half the footage recorded that was on the tape...like someone stopped it before it completed the conversion. Several DVD's either had serious tracking or volume issues. They slap a note on the tape basically stating "did the best we could but....". Now you would think, maybe it was the tapes? But here is the kicker, I checked the tapes at home AGAIN! And did not find any issues. I returned the tapes with the converted DVD after explaining the issue and received replacements. Of these replacement DVD's, some that had major video issues the first time but no volume issues now had major volume issues but the video was fine??? Another note attached to the tape with that message "sorry", Plus, like the 1st shipment, a few DVD's did not have the full footage of the tape. Now I'm really steamed. How could the volume be fine the 1st time but not the 2nd time, where as the video was fine the 2nd time but not the 1st time?? And what is with cutting the tape short? So now I speak with a supervisor (Josh) whom says "here is my direct email, I'm going to handle this personally". Okay, great! Send these back for a 3rd time. Half come back converted fine. The other half...more issues. I have spent so much time reviewing my original tapes to check for flaws...then checking the converted DVD's 2-3 times. I'm talking hours that I don't really have. I've dealt with several other conversion companies over the years and never had any major issues. You should be able to send in your items for conversion, receive them in the allotted time, seat down and enjoy them. My experience with Southtree has been anything but enjoyable.

melissab65
6/3/15

I sent them VHS tapes and a bunch of mini cassettes. They did a great job of converting them to DVD. They sent me numerous emails to update me throughout the process. I received my DVD's and everything I sent them without any problems. The process did take over a month, but they inform you of that on their website, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. I would prefer a company that takes their time and does a good job to a company that is quick, but doesn't do quality work. I've used another company, and compared to that other company, Southtree did a much better job.

tinag25
5/18/15

Southtree converted a 25 year old cassette tape of my grandfather playing the fiddle with his folk band. I haven't heard that tape in as many years. Now I have it on CD and my computer, thanks to Southtree. Service was excellent and so is the quality, and the price was very reasonable. I will definitely use them again in the future if the need arises.

mistiem2
5/10/15

I would definately recommend Southtree to anyone! My video camera stopped working and had 16 tapes that I decided to have transferred to DVD. Southtree said it would take 6-8 weeks and they kept their word. They emailed me with updates as the tapes were being processed. They came in great shape. I was so thrilled. I also got my originals back. If you want good quality and a company that will take care of your memories then Southtree is the company to pick!

mikem255
5/6/15

I am very pleased with my DVD's
Excellent work and was hsppy with their time

marys183
4/28/15

Sent them 10 mini vhs tapes that were 20 years old to convert. They kept me up to date with emails during the process. I received everything back as promised within the 6 week time frame and the quality was very good.

ronj21
4/17/15

Shop around. I used a Groupon and still paid out the nose. I found out later that I could have had the work done locally for less than my Groupon "deal". Use your money wisely and shop elsewhere

nvbb
4/17/15

It took 6 months and numerous emails to receive my order. Incompetent. Blundering. Unprofessional. Stay away!

lauram86
4/6/15

Without a doubt, your company provides outstanding services! You really came through by digitizing my reel-to-reel tape. Fond memories have been recaptured and what a surprise for everyone when they heard voices from the past! ‘ A treasure! Thank you for a First Class job!
Laura - Richmond, Virginia

kimj42
3/30/15

Not only have they had my stuff for over 3 months but I received back half my order along with other peoples memories! They keep promising daily a tracking number for the rest of my stuff but I have yet to receive these irreplaceable memories from the 40s!! They have lied countless times and do not return calls or emails! Please protect yourself!!! UPDATE- The owner called me and confirmed my worst fears that his manager has been lying to me and they have LOST my memories!!!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY AND IF IT IS TOO LATE - DEMAND YOUR STUFF BACK UNTOUCHED!

bos208
3/24/15

All I can say about this company is that they go the extra mile to get it as close to perfect as could be expected based on the physical conditions of the tape given them.

In my case I gave them a foreign PAL video tape I had gotten from England of an episode I couldn't find in the USA and so didn't know what condition it would be in since I couldn't view it on my NTSC only VCR.

I was very impressed with this company from beginning to end as they gave me blow by blow information in regards to how my tape was doing. That wasn't the most amazing thing however to me. What really impressed me about this company is based on the finished product I could see that they bent over backwards to make this a success.

Even though they put a sticker on the product apologizing for not being able to rehabilitate it to a flawless reproduction what I found was true dedication and true concern for the customer they were dealing with and here is why.

When I put the DVD into my player I noticed there was a menu with two subtitles. I didn't expect to see any as I opted not to pay the extra for titles but decided I would create my own when I had time. When I discovered why their were subtitles my respect for this company just skyrocketed because what I saw was a lot of toiling over my tape to get it as right as it could be.

You see the first title was there original attempt which was as their sticker said not so great. HOWEVER the second title which was the whole videotape again was much better in quality. I called them sharing my appreciation for the time they took to do this project and to think they would send me both of their conversions. SOUTH TREE told me they do this because they want to make sure they do everything in their power to get it right and if someone discovers a way that could better the condition of the product they will rerun it and then give the customer any attempt that was tried to make the project a success.

I just want to say a big thank you because of you SOUTH TREE I am able to view a show that is very rare to find and that in fact I would not have been able to do myself unless perhaps I wanted to invest in every piece of equipment needed and spend the time to do it but even than I would need an assistant so they took the headache out of it and for a very low price of less than $30 not only converted the tape to the North American Standard NTSC, not only did they digitalize the tape but they went the extra mile to redue the conversion when the first attempt was less then par for the finished work so that I could have an end product that was a joy to watch instead of giving headaches do to bad quality visual and audio.

Thank you SouthTree for working on my video tape that was in less than ideal condition and making it acceptable to watch and a pleasure to relive.

Tip for consumers: if you have any questions call them before you start the process. I did and I was able to get all my presales questions answered thoroughly and accurately.

markm168
3/18/15

Very happy with service and return time .Unfortunately quality was poor but that was due to the original vhs tape.I would defintely use Southtree again.

josmellp
3/10/15

It was a present for my parents to have our childhood pictures from Peru saved and Southtree did just that. The pictures turned out great. Look forward to sending more pictures.

Tip for consumers: Know it takes a little time.

jamesm245
3/10/15

Good service....happy with result....have others I will have done
James morten

margareth42
3/2/15

My husband purchased two groupons for the transfer service. I was very hesitant to send my precious memories of the children. But I sent them. When I opened the box and did an inventory, I noticed two of the original tapes were missing. I proceeded to watch the hours of DVDs, praying that at least the tapes had been transferred to DVD . I am heart broken, we had taken a trip to Australia..now that recording is lost. My daughter won a world pinto championship- that recording is also lost. I also noticed that the DVDs they sent had smudges and scratches... Would not do this again.

ronp31
2/12/15

Outstanding job on my orders. They converted several mini VHS cassettes to DVDs and some 40 year old audio cassette tapes to audio CDs. I am very satisfied with the quality of their work as well as their responsiveness. I was informed about the job progress at each step, and they shipped the final product before the estimated ship date. Would definitely use again

gomerp
2/12/15

The process took 6 weeks. when I FINALLY got the digital copy, it had over an hour of blank space at the end. I sent an email to their customer service to see if they would remedy the problem and received a curt response back with no effort to rectify the problem. there are plenty of other sites that do the same thing. I will not be using Southtree.com in the future and would recommend against anyone else doing so.

darylw11
2/10/15

I have only used two services to copy my prints to a digital format, Peggy Bank and Southtree. THe digital images were good. Service took several weeks. This is a lot better than Peggy Bank. Peggy Bank has had my pictures for four months now. So, comapred to Peggy Bank, Southtree is great.

dianas34
1/26/15

I sent Southtree Vhs tapes that were 26 years old. They all turned out wonderful. On one of my tapes they put a message that because of the tapes bad quality they could not digitize it. I looked at that one first and was pleasantly surprised. It was still better than the original. Thank you for saving all my fond memories.

lauras71
1/18/15

They did an excellent job. I can't thank them enough for saving some very old videos I had.

danielleh17
1/14/15

Southtree is an Excellent and Professional resource! I'm so very happy that I found them! It has provided my family and I the ability to easily watch and share videos from the past. The process is all outlined, clean, and easy. The company has a great website that explains everything and "walks" you through the process. You just label and mail your tapes and mail them. Southtree expresses positive caring for your memories and updates you along the way. I received my orders in about 5-6 weeks each time. The DVDs are professionally made and look great! The DVDs I've received (about 20) are clear as can be considering the tapes I are 10+ years old. I had both VHS-C and 8mm tapes converted.The DVDs come labeled and as soon as you insert the disc, the table of contents comes up and you hit PLAY! That's it! I've had some DVDs also come in the Digital version which allowed me to share a video right to Facebook after using my Windows software. I am not tech savvy and I did it in 20 minutes, made my own little movie out of my home movies.
Definitely give Southtree a try!! You won't be disappointed. The cost is very reasonable for the awesome quality. When you sign up for emails, you will receive notifications of their discounts which occur often!
Excellent company to work with !

Tip for consumers: Sign up for the emails to see the specials that Southtree offers.

stephanyr
1/13/15

I've used Southtree a number of times - video, tapes, cassettes, etc. Can't say enough how fantastic this company is for customer contact and communication, assistance, instruction clarity and excellent product. They are incredibly positive and careful. Preserving the old movies, videos, tapes - everyone I recommend it to agrees is so important - and this is how to do it!

josephp38
1/6/15

Was very pleased with the product and customer service. I had a coupon that had long since expired and they issued me a new one. I had 14 VHS tapes of my kids from 20+ years ago. Love the quality and product arrived much sooner than expected. Thanks Southtree.

eustacet
12/23/14

Awful. I really regret sending them my audio tapes. Both shipments of audio tapes were sent to them around the same time. They rearranged the order of two of the tapes with noise of the endings or beginnings of songs in between. I waited 13 weeks from the time they said they received them until I received them back. What a disappointment. The other audio tape I sent had two or three songs merged together where I could not skip ahead to the individual songs. Awful, awful service. After reading all the negative reviews I won't even bother writing them. At least I got my originals back. I feel bad for all the folks who had Southtree lose their memories. I got off light.

fredc35
11/20/14

I have used Southtree for both old 8mm film conversion to DVD and old reel-to-reel tape conversion to CD. Their service is efficient, reasonably priced, and results are excellent. I appreciate their emails indicating the various stages of their process.

vm19
11/11/14

Terrible! They don't communicate. My order has been placed and tapes sent fir more than two and a half months and still nothing. My status has been "in queue" and has never even been processed for the duration! Outrageous.
I am extremely displeased.
Do not use this company...

lindas110
11/6/14

Thank you Southtree for taking care of our families memories! We love the product we received back. The service was wonderful!

lukef11
10/21/14

This place is rocking it!!! I sent photo slides that had been given to me from my grandmother. These slides were taken between 1950 and the late 1980's, but regardless of the date taken, they all came out great. What I personally loved about Southtree is that they provide updates throughout the production process - everything from them receiving your package to them prepping your product to be digitalized. It took only approximately 8-10 weeks for the process to be completed, which is pretty quick in comparison to the rest of the industry. Southtree individually cleaned each photo slide I provided them, and then put them on a CD data disc. The moment I shared with my family, it instantly revived memories that had been buried with these old photo slides that hadn't been touched in over 20 years.

Overall, I would highly recommend Southtree, and plan on using them again.

hazelm12
10/17/14

My late husband was a musician and when he passed away, I had all his music digitalized. Southtree has done soooooo much for me and did it to perfection. I can't tell you how pleased I am with ALL their work! They kept me posted all the way and they are soooooo polite. I just got one of my orders back from them and they had included a PERSONAL note to me...If you need something digitalized contact SOUTHTREE!!! A happy customer....Hazel McGlasson

billieb21
10/11/14

Sent Southtree over 30 VHS tapes...some of which had been sitting in storage for YEARS. Within 3 weeks, I had all but 1 on discs. The single tape that wasn't transposable, well, I got a credit for that one. I've been meaning to transfer all of these family memories for a very long time, but couldn't find the spar time to do so. Southtree did such a great job, I then sent them 100 old photographs for scanning. Again, A+++ job, Southtree!

dianeg16
10/10/14

I also had a great experience and have no complaints. Had received an Amazon local email and that sparked me to finally get my memory tapes, that were in many forms converted. Their website and ordering processes simple and easy. I was a bit weary to send all my tapes in at once so decided to mail a set of 10. It does take several weeks to get back, but not longer than estimated for me. Their communication is great, with email status updates all along the way. I was so excited to receive the returned DVD/digital copies, they were all labeled and the copies look great. The entire experience from start to finish was great. I would definitely recommend Southtree. I have already shipped them 20 more tapes for copy.

georgiap4
10/3/14

I had about 15 VHS tapes of family and very important dates that for years I wanted on DVD for safe keeping and for showing during family events as no one has an old VHS recorder. I got a Groupon for Southtree and decided it was time to make this happen. This was a great experience. I packaged up the tapes documenting the tapes I sent in the package, submitted to Southtree and sent a Twitter/Facebook alert to Southtree that the items were on their way. I received the tapes and DVD's returned in a safe package plus during the process they kept me up to date on the process. I received 6 emails from Southtree so I knew where my request was in the process. Everything was beautiful with this experience. Thank you.

debbied18
9/30/14

submitting old family VHS tapes for transfer to DVD was a great experience with Southtree. I was informed by email throughout the transfer process. Now I can watch anytime anywhere! thank you Southtree!

edb21
9/30/14

I was very impressed with the service and end product from Southtree. After finding a stash of over-sized negatives taken by my grandfather on a visit to the 1932 Olympics, I immediately knew my options were limited in getting them digitized. Obviously trust was a big factor--these negs were like heirlooms to us.
Southtree did an outstanding job caring for the negatives, processing them, and shipping them back to me.
Bravo, Southtree. I'll be back the next time I find a treasure trove of images.

jimb124
9/25/14

I had several Hi 8 tapes with no way of viewing them and no way of transposing them onto digital media or DVD. I discovered Southtree via Groupon. They were much less expensive than a few other companies that provide the same service. So I sent my tapes in and in about half the time they advertised, my project was complete. I got all my originals back safe and sound along with digital copies which I can now store/manipulate on my computer. I really liked the realtime updates throughout the process. I confidently recommend Southtree.

paula288
9/24/14

sent 2 cassettes in to be converted to cd these tapes were from 1982 of a band I was in your company did everything you advertised service was excellent, quality was great and tapes were returned within 2weeks your company ROCKS!!!!! thanks Paul A.

donnah38
9/23/14

I had a great experience using Southtree to convert 30 VHS tapes. The notifications kept me informed of the progress, but also from the very beginning, it was great to know my tapes had arrived and were being carefully handled throughout the process. I had one DVD (out of 75 received) that did not play. I contacted them and received instructions for returning it and a prompt replacement. I am very pleased to have my family's special moments updated and ready for viewing.

carols54
9/6/14

I bought a groupon from Southtree to convert my VHS tapes and Hi8 tapes to DVD. I did this over the summer, got all 15 tapes converted and had 2 copies of each made. I think it took about 1 month. I had a problem with one set of DVDs, I had asked for 2 they only made one. I called customer service, they took care of the problem right away. I loved getting the emails on the progress of the conversion - when my tapes arrived, when they were converted, when they were shipped back to me. The quality is great. Thanks. I would use them again.

janel66
9/4/14

I was shocked to see less than excellent reviews from Southtree! I purchased 2 groupons and sent our 8mm tapes to be converted. I was nervous putting them in the mail but shortly received an email they had been received and the process began! Within a couple of months I had received updates and the finished product was at my door. They were packaged nicely and the quality was excellent. We are so happy we will be able to enjoy our family memories for years to come. I couldn't be happier and highly recommend Southtree!

debbiec26
8/24/14

Southtree is amazing! They kept me posted every step of the way about my precious tapes they were converting from VCR to DVD. They truly care about our precious items. I used them again and they were excellent. The DVD's and original VCR tapes came back and we love the work. I recommend this company for all the services they offer. Thank you Southtree for your your caring, professional and amazing staff.
Debbie Crooks

jarredm11
8/21/14

Southtree did a great job retrieving and enhancing a 1969 choral concert reel-to-reel recording for me. They handled everything beyond my expectations --- kept me informed of the status of the project throughout the process --- all for a very reasonable cost --- and best of all, the finished recording is better than I had hoped it would be...!!

ronj15
5/6/14

The quality of the DVD transfer from tape was nothing to write home about. The cost was ridiculously high - even with a Groupon - which I feel was misleading. Had I not felt that Groupon was giving me a good deal, AND if I had a bit more patience, I could have had it done locally for much, much less money and received the same, if not better results. Go elsewhere and save yourself a LOT of money!

jackt31
5/1/14

A problem with original order was taken care of by one Anna Varek who took my case and walked it through to be right with no problems she was personable with me all the time while my order was shipped back to them free no less through the process called me talked to me e mailed me and returned properly done. I am sure all companies have problems at times but in my case through Anna my problems were solved I would use them again and soon shall to have more movies put on disk. THANKS ANNA!! (Jack T)

chadh21
4/10/14

Everyone needs to seriously watch out for this business.

Southtree.com is listed on the TN Consumer Affairs Division "BUYER BEWARE" report.

See for yourself: www.tn.gov/consumer/buyerbeware.shtml

In addition they have over 60 Better Business Bureau complaints (just from the past 3 years).

And on top of that they have a ton of Yelp complaints.

Buyer Beware is right!

benjamins30
2/13/14

I sent in some old VHS tapes and 3inch film reels that belonged to my late parents. I couldn't be happier with their service! I got everything back in under month and everything was transferred perfectly. I have no idea why there are so many negative reviews. I feel like 1 or 2 angry customers have multiple accounts that they post reviews on. A customer service agent told me that they ship out over 100 orders a day, so it seems that the vast majority of people are generally happy with this company. With my experience in restaurants I know that people who dislike a company are far more likely to leave reviews.

Anyway, I would recommend South Tree to everyone!

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Southtree staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: southtree has only gotten a 46% rating from their reviews. That concerns me. What guarantee will I have that I won't become one of the negative statistics? What is you lose or destroy my property?
Answer
lindas110
A: I loved the finished product they produced!
4/19/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Southtree staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

Southtree?