US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

elleng14

I was very pleased with the dvd's they created from my vhs tapes of my son's childhood . (in 27 reviews)

edb21

I was most impressed by the customer service whereby they let me know what they were doing each step of the way. (in 21 reviews)

georgiap4

I got a Groupon for Southtree and decided it was time to make this happen. (in 41 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

laurap90
4/12/16

I had about 4-5 VHS tapes converted to DVD. They came back labeled and dated and they also returned my original materials, though it was not expected. They also sent me emails along the way to let me know how it was progressing. If I ever have to use them again, I would be happy to.

marthac50
4/12/16

Great service. Keeps you up to date on progress. Good quality. Had pictures converted to digital, movies to digital and cassette tapes recorded to digital. Thank you Southtree for allowing me to keep those memories.

lainew1
4/11/16

I sent in tapes from our once in a lifetime trip, an African Safari. I got updates by tracking my package. They were sent to me by FD EX and then turned over to the US postal service. When reading policy, it says that they will be sent to me by their choice of delivery. I'm not sure why it didn't come to the house by FD EX. They got lost once they were turned over to the postal service. This happened in January and are just now offering to refund me...we will see. VERY poor customer service!!

jimp86
3/23/16

I had less than 5" reels / tapes of recordings that went back to 1967. I was on the DMZ in Korea and my parents talked to me via the recording and my Father sang a song. I was very impressed at the quality of the CD provided by Southtree. I appreciate the memories. J

sallym46
3/22/16

I was kept informed of each step in the process. Any questions were promptly answered. They cleaned slides that had been in storage for over thirty years

dickieb1
3/20/16

The quality was awful. Most of the film is so dark you can't tell who it is. It's like they used vcr's from the 80's to copy the tapes.
Communication was not the best.
Not recommended.

Ask $#*!ie about Southtree
kathrynk16
3/10/16

While the work was adequate, their information is terrible. I had Super 8 movies that I wanted on dvd. I never imagined that they wouldn't add the sound! It was only after I got the dvd and found no sound that I went searching on the help site. They answer one question "Can you capture sound from film?" Since I KNOW you can I never read that question. Shame on me. Here's their answer:
Sound on film reels are rare and at this time, we are no longer able to process the audio line with film reels. Less than 1% of film reels had a sound line, even fewer movie cameras recorded on this line, and at this time we are no longer able to source a film unit from our vendors that can digitize this part. We are able to digitize film reels and create great video files for you to enjoy.
If I had seen this I never would have used this company and would have gone to one of the MANY companies that do digitize the sound. I will now have to purchase the same service from a competent company and be forced to pay for the service twice. This is not good business!!

krisk32
3/4/16

This company promised to handle my media with care and professionalism. I sent them more than 500 slides and after a surprisingly short time, my slides were returned to me with an enclosed cd supposedly containing my converted media. I placed the cd in my laptop and discovered that they had sent me the converted pictures of someone else's media. This means that they are processing the media of more than one client in a common area. I contacted them via "chat" (the only offered option other than email) and they refused to talk to me on the phone, claiming their phone lines were down. They offered me no restitution other than "send your slides back and we will process them again in two weeks. It has been well over two weeks now and still no slides.... I am very dissatisfied with the lack of professionalism demonstrated by this company. I trusted them with decades of memories and they have acted irresponsibly. I have yet to receive my converted media and original slides.

lyndab14
3/4/16

I responded to a facebook post with a "deal" about getting videotapes transferred to disk.

Gather a bunch of ten to send in at Christmas and shipped ... got confirmation on January 2nd that they had been received, then another update and then an update on January 25th that my items were being "sorted" ... and then the updates stopped and I contacted via chat today Southtree (because they were not taking customer phone calls) to get an update since it has been over two months. I was first told that my videotapes had been converted and were being uploaded to thumb drives. Ay nd we went back and forth and I was told that the original estimate of 6-8 weeks is just that an estimate and that they would see what they could do to get me out of production sooner. And that there was an update posted to my account yesterday (but I got no email) ... with a status. I have no idea when I will be getting my items but I feel like I have just gotten a heapload of bs ... here's hoping that the quality is at least reasonable. I'm feeling really dumb for having trusted this vendor!

Tip for consumers: WATCH OUT!!

martinac2
3/1/16

I have only good things to say about Southtree. They have excellent customer service and they produce a great product.

100% recommend!

susanh155
2/25/16

I ordered the collection package through a Living Social deal. Received the box to send my tapes to be converted within tge two weeks as promosed. Put the labels on each movie as instructed and carefully packaged them in the box. Put the return label on the box and gave it to my post office. This was on December 14. The post office gave it to FedEx smartpost on December 16 and my package has disappeared. These were my grandfather's home movies from the 1960s that were kept in climate controlled safe condition for iver 50 years. Now they are gone.

dianeb79
2/23/16

My order took 2 months to arrive. One of the 3 VHS tapes of my 3 children's weddings was missing. No DVD for it or the thumb drive that I had paid for. No invoice!!! I so wish I had read other reviews before hand. I've been told by Southtree that they are looking for my lost tape, but they have so many others that they've lost of others......this is just so wrong! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE!!!

jonis8
2/22/16

I'm so happy with Southtree's service of converting my treasured VHS library to DVDs and flash drive. They communicated with me every step of the way and they delivered exactly as promised. It's a relief to have this taken care of and to know our memories are safely preserved!

ellenm36
2/16/16

They lost a bunch of my pictures and after a few emails, they are no longer replying. If you value your photos, take them somewhere else.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site!

rudyk9
2/15/16

Southtree Was One Wiz Move ! They Got It In & Out For Me In No Time. Made CD's From Tapes I Had,Great Work And Would Use Them Again !

gabel14
2/14/16

Bought a sale they had right after Thanksgiving. The sale allowed me to get 3 of my VHS tapes turned into DVD's. I received the final product in mid February, and all the DVD's had tracking problems that the VHS tapes did not. Went back and forth a little bit with customer service and they gave me a refund. Overall, I waited almost 3 months and ended up right back where I started. They also use Fedex Smart Post which adds on another week basically because of how slow it is (2-3 days added each way). Very disappointed with my experience overall and will never try them again.

Also, be wary of their advertising. I bought this because in big lettering they said that the legacybox would be received by Christmas. This means that you will get the initial box to put your tapes in and send them by Christmas. Everything about this company is slimy - their marketing included.

debras60
2/13/16

I can not believe the negative reviews! Southtree did such an excellent job with my VHS tapes. The packaging was also great when I received them. My videos turned out better than I thought they would be. I was really pleased.

sharil2
2/10/16

Was attracted to their ad and sales price. Sent them a large order (50 plus VHS C) tapes for conversion. Given a 6-8 week turnover time and they advertised complete labeling of DVD's if given the information. All my tapes were specifically labeled. Never heard from them after initial correspondence that tapes were received. Their online status check never worked. Started to get concerned after the 8 week mark and never heard from them. Emailed them and got a response that they were working on it and would let me know when shipped. I explained that it was a gift and needed by a certain date. They rushed and shipped within a week, which was great. However, when I received, 90% of the DVD's were mislabeled. I spent hours watching them, relabeling and truthfully the finished product looks crappy now with a handwritten label over a crossed out incorrect label. Kind of embarrassed to hand off as a gift like this. I emailed them to see about getting some kind of credit back for the this mishap. All they offered was to send the DVD's back to them with the correct labels and they would re run and send back to me in two weeks. I didn't have that time and they wouldn't reimburse anything either. Very disappointed. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!!!! So many others out there...do yourself a favor and go elsewhere, even if it costs a little more. I guess you do get what you pay for. Quality of DVD's was poor too.

kandycew
2/8/16

Everything came within the timeframe they set out. No errors. Would use them again!

ellenl25
2/6/16

I sent Southtree four separate orders from March 2015 through April 2015. Just got a chance to start going through all of the DVD's I got back.....Not good at all. Only one of the orders did not have a problem. I'm not talking about little problems; I'm taking about sending 20 tapes in and only getting 18 back, some not playing at all, getting someone else's videos....No doubt they will do what they can to fix it but I don't know how they are going to fix some of the problems.

garyp77
2/2/16

Have had over 50 vcr tapes that I was going to convert myself and I came upon Southtree. What a find. Quick service.Great identification on conversions. Excellent quality. Will be sending my 8 mm next.

cathys39
1/24/16

I sent my tape in December, the only sound of my mother's voice I had left. Southtree received it on Dec 14... and promptly lost it. When I inquired about my tape in mid-January, I received a form response. Now that it has been well over a month, I still am only getting pat replies from the company. I have asked to speak with a manager but so far no luck. LOUSY customer service after a devastating loss! I wouldn't recommend sending them ANYTHING you truly cherish.

marshallm26
1/23/16

This is an interim review. I placed an order with Southtree on December 1st, 2015 for digital conversion of 15 tapes. After mailing the tapes in, I received a confirmation that they were received on December 11th. I spoke with them briefly in December to get a status and was assured that everything was going ahead on schedule. As of January 23rd, 2016 my project is listed as only "Sorted". I have offered to pay for the return of my tapes if the company is having any financial issues. I am waiting for a response but, frankly, I'm getting a little nervous. Full disclosure: I did not opt for the expedited service for an additional fee. My suggestion, tread with care if you are serious about using them.

janines7
1/16/16

decided to use Southtree, saw a Groupon and gave it a try. Sent 10 tapes that to us are priceless but not our most treasured in case something happened to them. Southree did keep us up to date with tracking process, which I appreciated but like other customers, we received a sticker on 4 of our tapes stating "sorry . . . due to damage or age permanent tracking issues" which is BS! There wasn't anything wrong with our tapes before we sent them and as we're not professional videographers, there were blank segments between when we video taped. It seems as if they just stopped recording after one blank segment and didn't bother to look any further on the tape. Very disappointed - now looking into other options and companies.

jodim9
1/13/16

Southtree converted all of our hi8 tapes from our boys childhood! 44 tapes and they did a phenomenal job. We are thankful and nothing but good reviews from us!!!!

terrim30
1/12/16

Sent in 25 VHS tapes in Nov. to have transferred over to DVDs as a Christmas gift for my Husband. They arrived on time and were tagged and very professionally done. As soon as he opened them , he started popping them into the DVD player to watch them. We spent a lot of the holiday break watching things we hadn't seen in years. We have more we will be sending to Southtree to have transferred over. Great company, awesome customer service and highly recommended to anyone.

marya344
12/29/15

Had two different orders. One for 6 VHS tapes that are about 30 years old. The next was for a small reel tape that was made from an AM radio station in 1968.
My experience with the two transactions was great. Southtree kept me informed of where in the process my tapes were. I liked that. My first order was for the VHS tapes. Considering the age of the tapes and the number of times they had been re-recorded I was very pleased with the way they came out. Some things were missing but I expected that because of the way the tapes had been carelessly stored. (Or was it just that I forgot what was on the tape?) The reel tape came out pretty good also. I have to admit that I was surprised.
I would recommend Southtree. They were great to work with and responded quickly when I had questions in the middle of the process. They made me feel like my order was important.
Mary

peggyo4
12/28/15

Saw an advertisement about south tree conversions of VHS tapes to disc format. I was very nervous to send my precious memories out in the mail to an unknown company that I have never tried before. Decided to leave an email discussing and confirming pricing . Slithered responded less than 1 day and reassured me that they would be the company to work with. They notified me every step of their process as to receipt, processing and timely shipping of the finished product. I received the box of my vsh tapes and new discs just in time for Christmas! Their work was so professional,each disc was in a separate envelope,labeled identical to each VHS tape. My sneak review of a few of them left me so excited to give this collection as a Christmas gift. Needless to say, when my family opened the box and I explained what they were holding, the entire family cried, even the teenagers who realized all their baby Christmas videos were included in this collection. Thank you Southtree! Getting my next batch ready to send out soon!

dustinh22
12/8/15

Sent several VHS tapes and super 8 camcorder videos in to be placed on DVD. It was a total waste of money. Half of the DVDs came back with nothing but blue screen. It's like they hit play when converting, walked off, then never looked at the final product. We spent approximately $175 for nothing. We got little notes in our box stating we weren't being charged for the items that couldn't be converted. Never saw that refund.

joycev4
11/23/15

Use a groupon and sent slides. Images created were dirty and poor quality. Waste of time and money.

thomasc99
11/11/15

I got a Groupon and sent about 250 35mm slides to Souththree for scanning. They did them quickly (in about 10 days), although it took a week go get them back from Chattanooga to north Alabama (normally one day via UPS ground or two days by mail). The quality was horrible! WAY too contrasty, color not even close, and obviously done with filthy equipment as there are specks all over the digital files (that are NOT on the slides) and one big dark spot in the same location on most of the slides that was obviously on their equipment. I will definitely NOT be using Southtree again!

kathyh55
10/31/15

My order was not right . They said send it back and I said not if it takes 6 weeks again. 2 of the movies had an hour of footage but they only put 5 minutes on the DVDs. Will not use them again. The tapes were old but better to look at than the DVDs that were very scratchy.

elleng14
10/22/15

I was very pleased with the dvd's they created from my vhs tapes of my son's childhood . I enjoy watching them with my friends and family. The thing I like the most is hearing their voices so innocent. I've used there service before and would use it again and refer others to use it also

charlottem20
10/15/15

I was very impressed with the job done with my old 8MM. I found the website to be very easy to understand and when I did not a simple call to South tree was all it took. Customer services over the phone was great. I like the emails that are sent explaining where your order is in the process. The last email you receive is the best one, "your memories are on the way". The price was the best par,t I was not paying 700.00 or more like other places I had look into. With a Groupon the price was even better. Thank you to your company for the tears and laughs I had watching my family from many years ago.. Charlotte

robynd4
10/14/15

What a awesome company! I was really worried about sending my treasured VHS tapes filled with memories of my now grow children, in their baby years. I researched Southtree, and called a representative put my mind at ease that they would update me along they way. I was beyond impressed. They emailed me when they received my tapes, sent a message when the transfer process was starting and sent another email when my new CDs were in the mail! The price was very reasonable and they run good specials constantly. I am sending in my third batch with a great discount from Southtree for being a valuable customer. Keep up the good work!

meletl
10/3/15

The process was super easy, and the price is so much less than I anticipated. Less than my local photo store AND the drugstore near my home.

I am currently going through the house to find everything that Southtree can copy for me!

johnl252
9/8/15

Returned my order on August 17, 2015 using label provided and it cannot be located - no response from customer service.

emilyb50
8/31/15

TL;DR: They lost my tapes and are not helping to locate them or offer solutions.

I sent Legacybox/Southtree three miniDV tapes to be converted. While I received the Legacybox to pack and return to them at my old address, I moved the next week and updated my address on the confirmation card of contact information included in the box. End of story, right?

Nope.

After receiving notice that "my item had been delivered," I emailed them because I had not received my tapes. Days went by with emails unanswered. I finally hear back that "it is not their policy to send it to an address different from the order address." Well, then why have the address confirmation card in the box? This policy is not stated in their materials included in the box or on their website. Had this been communicated anywhere, I would have followed procedure for change of address. And clearly someone who unpacked the box had to check the address confirmation card and ignored it, no? I pointed this out to the representative and asked how we could find a solution. No answer.

I called them for help, they promised to call back and never did.

I tweeted them for help. Not only did my tweets go ignored, they changed their username in the meantime. Even their CEO ignored my request for assistance.

Finally, their director of customer service got back to me. She was helpful and responded in a timely manner. Our research into what happened the package lasted only a week, because just this morning when I emailed her for an update, I received an automatic reply that she had quit the company.

I am now back to square one, with my tapes out there, somewhere. Legacybox says #MemoriesMatter to them, but they clearly do not take that mission statement to heart. Their customer service is poor, their CEO doesn't care, their policies unclear, and I am heartbroken as a result.

It has now been over a month of this nonsense. I'll be disputing this with my credit card company, but unfortunately no amount of money will bring back my memories on tape.

UPDATE 11/30/15: Over four months later and I still have no information from them on where my tapes could be. Buyer beware and stay away from Southtree and Legacybox.

Tip for consumers: Don't!

tracym69
8/28/15

I purchased a Starter Legacybox which allowed me to have 3 items copied. I submitted a VHS tape, an audio micro cassette and a set of 24 film negatives. I shipped all the items in the Legacybox in July. When the box was returned to me only the VHS tape was returned. All the film negatives and micro cassette were missing and they had nothing in their system to indicate they ever received them(even though all items were in the same shipping container and I was never contacted that it arrived damaged or open). I also sent an order form detailing what I sent. They have no idea where my items are and the latest email implied that I "may" have sent the items. I was also sent back a box with someone else's safe label. They do not even know who initially opened my order(where I believe my items were lost). I am very upset that I will never see these items again. Response time is slow they were supposed to call me back with an update ....big surprise no return phone call!). Inventory and photograph everything before you send your materials to them because you may never see it again!

karll24
8/23/15

I got a bunch of VCR tapes transferred to DVD. Fast service, MUCH faster than stated on the website. Great value for the money, product was exactly what I expected when I ordered it. Quality of video transfer is awesome, I honestly have nothing bad to say about this company, and highly recommend their video VCR tape-to-DVD transfer service!

Karl Logan

tb51
8/14/15

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! I ordered a transfer of a VHS tape to CD and it has taken 2 times to get it done but unusable. Unfortunately, the first time the CD came to me with scratches and finger prints on the data side - exactly what they tell me to avoid in an insert with the CD. I sent it back for reprocessing. This time I get a label stuck to my VHS tape storage box saying " Sorry..... but there are permanent tracking issues due to damage or age". I find the tape storage box was damaged while in their possession. The damage is extremely hard to do since the tape storage box is made of heavy plastic. No one said or indicated any problem of this type existed during the first processing. I sent the VHS tape back to them the second time in the same packaging it was sent to me. No one indicated the package was damaged when it was returned to them so, it had to be badly handled and damaged during the second processing.

I gave them a perfectly good unused tape for processing and they ruined it. Totally unprofessional and irresponsible. They lack all capability to do a simple task. LOSERS!!!!

denisel27
8/10/15

I recently received my DVDs that I had made by SOUTHTREE from my VHS tapes. I was very pleased with the quality of the work. The company let me know when they received my tapes and kept me informed of each step that was needed to create my DVDs. My family and I are truly enjoying watching the DVDs that have been stored in boxes as VHS tapes.

katep18
7/29/15

they had a sale on fb for developing tapes, any tapes, for $5. I didn't notice the dates of the sale and 2 days later when they finally replied to me that my 8mm tapes were included, in my excitement I put my order in. the invoice that I paid, which came from them, stated that I owed 54.95.<br/> they let me know when they received my order and also sent me progress reports. so far, so good. I was beyond excited....some of my tapes were 50 years old.<br/> towards the end of the process, I get an email, telling me there was a balance of over $100. what? I paid the invoice that THEY created. the agent then tells me (with a flippant attitude) that he'll make a deal with me and only charge me half of that. I told them to send my tapes back to me or honor their invoice. they refused and my tapes arrived back home today. <br/> its the principle of the whole thing. it was their mistake, I'm sure the whole transaction was nearly completed. why they couldn't just eat their mistake is beyond me. not very good business sense. I wouldn't recommend this company. not very ethical.

joans42
7/27/15

I originally only sent 5 VHS' to be converted to DVDs to be sure I would be happy with the result and also I was a bit skeptical as to whether or not my VHS' would have gotten lost. Upon receiving my tapes Southtree contacted me immediately to let me know they received them. They continually updated me as to the status (where my tapes were in production). When I received them, I sat and watched all five in one day. The one that was originally from my parents' Super*8 was from 1947 through 1979. I laughed, cried and applauded as I got to see everyone so vividly, so happy; lost so many years ago to me. I immediately sent the next 11 VHS tapes to Southtree and I have been kept up to date on a regular basis as to where they are in production. Southtree THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GIVING ME BACK MY MEMORIES!
Joan Steever - Morristown NJ

sharonm85
7/4/15

I converted an old cassette of my daughter singing--a cassette(!) so you know how old that was! The CD arrived in far less time than the company said, and the sound quality is first rate. I am so glad to have this memory, and I think it was a real bargain as well.

meralt
6/26/15

I had a great experince with this company. Very fast service

bingm5
6/26/15

THE BEST. I could not be more pleased with the efficient, first class service I received throughout the entire process … from mailing in my VHS tapes to receiving excellent quality DVDs and digital files. All along the way I got frequent email notices about how my order was doing and when i would get my movies back.
I highly recommend Southtree to one and all!

sharonp37
6/26/15

I have used Southtree twice now and have been happy with work they do in preserving memories on dvds. I have also recommended my mother-in-law to send her stuff there and she is happy with hers also. I love the fact they keep you in the loop thru emails from time they receive them till they send them back to me. And they cost less than the other sites and they have sales. So does Groupon

janah9
6/24/15

Where to start! I guess from the beginning. I have always known about all sorts of media transfer places, but just was not comfortable sending all my VHS tapes for fear of them being lost in the mail, but upon recommendation from some close friends for Southtree, I took the plunge and sent just a few at first.
I was extremely impressed with the whole process that Southtree has in place from the moment they receive your media to increments of the process. I was so comforted knowing what was going on throughout the whole process, and upon receiving my new DVDs, it is a blessing beyond belief at how inexpensive it was to turn memories onto DVDs that can be easily watched any day and that are preserved that much longer than my old VHS tapes of which were 21 years old! I definitely recommend Southtree for any media service. They are always emailing coupons and discounts all the time so make it very affordable and you don't miss a good sale if you decided not to act on the most recent discount, they are great group of people there in Chattanooga that really understand how to do this type of job well and bless families.

hilaryd4
6/8/15

Prompt delivery, very good quality considering the age of my vcr tapes.

23 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Southtree staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 week ago
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
3 weeks ago
Answer
sharil2
A: I was a real customer and dealt with hundreds of companies over the years. I was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with this company to the point where I had to go through my credit card co to dispute the charge (and won, by the way). I gave them 50 tapes to convert from VHS to DVD. Each was specifically labeled and what was on each was very important to the project. I gave them more than ample time (over 2 months) to complete. After 8 weeks when I still didn't hear from them, I started contacting them and it took over a week to get a response. Within 2 weeks, they sent out the finished product just in time. Only to find out that 90% of those 50 tapes were mislabeled. I had to watch every single one and re label for the project I was working on and I had one day in which to do this. When I tried contacting them, all I was told was to send them back and they will re-label them all. After I was finished with the project I contacted them a few days later to get the mailing label to send back so at least I could have them correctly labeled on each DVD and never heard back. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.
3 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Southtree staff and other customers.

Southtree?