US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

elleng14

I was very pleased with the dvd's they created from my vhs tapes of my son's childhood . (in 23 reviews)

edb21

I was most impressed by the customer service whereby they let me know what they were doing each step of the way. (in 18 reviews)

georgiap4

I got a Groupon for Southtree and decided it was time to make this happen. (in 36 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

kandycew
2/8/16

Everything came within the timeframe they set out. No errors. Would use them again!

ellenl25
2/6/16

I sent Southtree four separate orders from March 2015 through April 2015. Just got a chance to start going through all of the DVD's I got back.....Not good at all. Only one of the orders did not have a problem. I'm not talking about little problems; I'm taking about sending 20 tapes in and only getting 18 back, some not playing at all, getting someone else's videos....No doubt they will do what they can to fix it but I don't know how they are going to fix some of the problems.

garyp77
2/2/16

Have had over 50 vcr tapes that I was going to convert myself and I came upon Southtree. What a find. Quick service.Great identification on conversions. Excellent quality. Will be sending my 8 mm next.

cathys39
1/24/16

I sent my tape in December, the only sound of my mother's voice I had left. Southtree received it on Dec 14... and promptly lost it. When I inquired about my tape in mid-January, I received a form response. Now that it has been well over a month, I still am only getting pat replies from the company. I have asked to speak with a manager but so far no luck. LOUSY customer service after a devastating loss! I wouldn't recommend sending them ANYTHING you truly cherish.

marshallm26
1/23/16

This is an interim review. I placed an order with Southtree on December 1st, 2015 for digital conversion of 15 tapes. After mailing the tapes in, I received a confirmation that they were received on December 11th. I spoke with them briefly in December to get a status and was assured that everything was going ahead on schedule. As of January 23rd, 2016 my project is listed as only "Sorted". I have offered to pay for the return of my tapes if the company is having any financial issues. I am waiting for a response but, frankly, I'm getting a little nervous. Full disclosure: I did not opt for the expedited service for an additional fee. My suggestion, tread with care if you are serious about using them.

janines7
1/16/16

decided to use Southtree, saw a Groupon and gave it a try. Sent 10 tapes that to us are priceless but not our most treasured in case something happened to them. Southree did keep us up to date with tracking process, which I appreciated but like other customers, we received a sticker on 4 of our tapes stating "sorry . . . due to damage or age permanent tracking issues" which is BS! There wasn't anything wrong with our tapes before we sent them and as we're not professional videographers, there were blank segments between when we video taped. It seems as if they just stopped recording after one blank segment and didn't bother to look any further on the tape. Very disappointed - now looking into other options and companies.

jodim9
1/13/16

Southtree converted all of our hi8 tapes from our boys childhood! 44 tapes and they did a phenomenal job. We are thankful and nothing but good reviews from us!!!!

terrim30
1/12/16

Sent in 25 VHS tapes in Nov. to have transferred over to DVDs as a Christmas gift for my Husband. They arrived on time and were tagged and very professionally done. As soon as he opened them , he started popping them into the DVD player to watch them. We spent a lot of the holiday break watching things we hadn't seen in years. We have more we will be sending to Southtree to have transferred over. Great company, awesome customer service and highly recommended to anyone.

marya344
12/29/15

Had two different orders. One for 6 VHS tapes that are about 30 years old. The next was for a small reel tape that was made from an AM radio station in 1968.
My experience with the two transactions was great. Southtree kept me informed of where in the process my tapes were. I liked that. My first order was for the VHS tapes. Considering the age of the tapes and the number of times they had been re-recorded I was very pleased with the way they came out. Some things were missing but I expected that because of the way the tapes had been carelessly stored. (Or was it just that I forgot what was on the tape?) The reel tape came out pretty good also. I have to admit that I was surprised.
I would recommend Southtree. They were great to work with and responded quickly when I had questions in the middle of the process. They made me feel like my order was important.
Mary

peggyo4
12/28/15

Saw an advertisement about south tree conversions of VHS tapes to disc format. I was very nervous to send my precious memories out in the mail to an unknown company that I have never tried before. Decided to leave an email discussing and confirming pricing . Slithered responded less than 1 day and reassured me that they would be the company to work with. They notified me every step of their process as to receipt, processing and timely shipping of the finished product. I received the box of my vsh tapes and new discs just in time for Christmas! Their work was so professional,each disc was in a separate envelope,labeled identical to each VHS tape. My sneak review of a few of them left me so excited to give this collection as a Christmas gift. Needless to say, when my family opened the box and I explained what they were holding, the entire family cried, even the teenagers who realized all their baby Christmas videos were included in this collection. Thank you Southtree! Getting my next batch ready to send out soon!

dustinh22
12/8/15

Sent several VHS tapes and super 8 camcorder videos in to be placed on DVD. It was a total waste of money. Half of the DVDs came back with nothing but blue screen. It's like they hit play when converting, walked off, then never looked at the final product. We spent approximately $175 for nothing. We got little notes in our box stating we weren't being charged for the items that couldn't be converted. Never saw that refund.

joycev4
11/23/15

Use a groupon and sent slides. Images created were dirty and poor quality. Waste of time and money.

thomasc99
11/11/15

I got a Groupon and sent about 250 35mm slides to Souththree for scanning. They did them quickly (in about 10 days), although it took a week go get them back from Chattanooga to north Alabama (normally one day via UPS ground or two days by mail). The quality was horrible! WAY too contrasty, color not even close, and obviously done with filthy equipment as there are specks all over the digital files (that are NOT on the slides) and one big dark spot in the same location on most of the slides that was obviously on their equipment. I will definitely NOT be using Southtree again!

kathyh55
10/31/15

My order was not right . They said send it back and I said not if it takes 6 weeks again. 2 of the movies had an hour of footage but they only put 5 minutes on the DVDs. Will not use them again. The tapes were old but better to look at than the DVDs that were very scratchy.

elleng14
10/22/15

I was very pleased with the dvd's they created from my vhs tapes of my son's childhood . I enjoy watching them with my friends and family. The thing I like the most is hearing their voices so innocent. I've used there service before and would use it again and refer others to use it also

charlottem20
10/15/15

I was very impressed with the job done with my old 8MM. I found the website to be very easy to understand and when I did not a simple call to South tree was all it took. Customer services over the phone was great. I like the emails that are sent explaining where your order is in the process. The last email you receive is the best one, "your memories are on the way". The price was the best par,t I was not paying 700.00 or more like other places I had look into. With a Groupon the price was even better. Thank you to your company for the tears and laughs I had watching my family from many years ago.. Charlotte

robynd4
10/14/15

What a awesome company! I was really worried about sending my treasured VHS tapes filled with memories of my now grow children, in their baby years. I researched Southtree, and called a representative put my mind at ease that they would update me along they way. I was beyond impressed. They emailed me when they received my tapes, sent a message when the transfer process was starting and sent another email when my new CDs were in the mail! The price was very reasonable and they run good specials constantly. I am sending in my third batch with a great discount from Southtree for being a valuable customer. Keep up the good work!

meletl
10/3/15

The process was super easy, and the price is so much less than I anticipated. Less than my local photo store AND the drugstore near my home.

I am currently going through the house to find everything that Southtree can copy for me!

johnl252
9/8/15

Returned my order on August 17, 2015 using label provided and it cannot be located - no response from customer service.

emilyb50
8/31/15

TL;DR: They lost my tapes and are not helping to locate them or offer solutions.

I sent Legacybox/Southtree three miniDV tapes to be converted. While I received the Legacybox to pack and return to them at my old address, I moved the next week and updated my address on the confirmation card of contact information included in the box. End of story, right?

Nope.

After receiving notice that "my item had been delivered," I emailed them because I had not received my tapes. Days went by with emails unanswered. I finally hear back that "it is not their policy to send it to an address different from the order address." Well, then why have the address confirmation card in the box? This policy is not stated in their materials included in the box or on their website. Had this been communicated anywhere, I would have followed procedure for change of address. And clearly someone who unpacked the box had to check the address confirmation card and ignored it, no? I pointed this out to the representative and asked how we could find a solution. No answer.

I called them for help, they promised to call back and never did.

I tweeted them for help. Not only did my tweets go ignored, they changed their username in the meantime. Even their CEO ignored my request for assistance.

Finally, their director of customer service got back to me. She was helpful and responded in a timely manner. Our research into what happened the package lasted only a week, because just this morning when I emailed her for an update, I received an automatic reply that she had quit the company.

I am now back to square one, with my tapes out there, somewhere. Legacybox says #MemoriesMatter to them, but they clearly do not take that mission statement to heart. Their customer service is poor, their CEO doesn't care, their policies unclear, and I am heartbroken as a result.

It has now been over a month of this nonsense. I'll be disputing this with my credit card company, but unfortunately no amount of money will bring back my memories on tape.

UPDATE 11/30/15: Over four months later and I still have no information from them on where my tapes could be. Buyer beware and stay away from Southtree and Legacybox.

Tip for consumers: Don't!

tracym69
8/28/15

I purchased a Starter Legacybox which allowed me to have 3 items copied. I submitted a VHS tape, an audio micro cassette and a set of 24 film negatives. I shipped all the items in the Legacybox in July. When the box was returned to me only the VHS tape was returned. All the film negatives and micro cassette were missing and they had nothing in their system to indicate they ever received them(even though all items were in the same shipping container and I was never contacted that it arrived damaged or open). I also sent an order form detailing what I sent. They have no idea where my items are and the latest email implied that I "may" have sent the items. I was also sent back a box with someone else's safe label. They do not even know who initially opened my order(where I believe my items were lost). I am very upset that I will never see these items again. Response time is slow they were supposed to call me back with an update ....big surprise no return phone call!). Inventory and photograph everything before you send your materials to them because you may never see it again!

karll24
8/23/15

I got a bunch of VCR tapes transferred to DVD. Fast service, MUCH faster than stated on the website. Great value for the money, product was exactly what I expected when I ordered it. Quality of video transfer is awesome, I honestly have nothing bad to say about this company, and highly recommend their video VCR tape-to-DVD transfer service!

Karl Logan

tb51
8/14/15

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! I ordered a transfer of a VHS tape to CD and it has taken 2 times to get it done but unusable. Unfortunately, the first time the CD came to me with scratches and finger prints on the data side - exactly what they tell me to avoid in an insert with the CD. I sent it back for reprocessing. This time I get a label stuck to my VHS tape storage box saying " Sorry..... but there are permanent tracking issues due to damage or age". I find the tape storage box was damaged while in their possession. The damage is extremely hard to do since the tape storage box is made of heavy plastic. No one said or indicated any problem of this type existed during the first processing. I sent the VHS tape back to them the second time in the same packaging it was sent to me. No one indicated the package was damaged when it was returned to them so, it had to be badly handled and damaged during the second processing.

I gave them a perfectly good unused tape for processing and they ruined it. Totally unprofessional and irresponsible. They lack all capability to do a simple task. LOSERS!!!!

denisel27
8/10/15

I recently received my DVDs that I had made by SOUTHTREE from my VHS tapes. I was very pleased with the quality of the work. The company let me know when they received my tapes and kept me informed of each step that was needed to create my DVDs. My family and I are truly enjoying watching the DVDs that have been stored in boxes as VHS tapes.

katep18
7/29/15

they had a sale on fb for developing tapes, any tapes, for $5. I didn't notice the dates of the sale and 2 days later when they finally replied to me that my 8mm tapes were included, in my excitement I put my order in. the invoice that I paid, which came from them, stated that I owed 54.95.<br/> they let me know when they received my order and also sent me progress reports. so far, so good. I was beyond excited....some of my tapes were 50 years old.<br/> towards the end of the process, I get an email, telling me there was a balance of over $100. what? I paid the invoice that THEY created. the agent then tells me (with a flippant attitude) that he'll make a deal with me and only charge me half of that. I told them to send my tapes back to me or honor their invoice. they refused and my tapes arrived back home today. <br/> its the principle of the whole thing. it was their mistake, I'm sure the whole transaction was nearly completed. why they couldn't just eat their mistake is beyond me. not very good business sense. I wouldn't recommend this company. not very ethical.

joans42
7/27/15

I originally only sent 5 VHS' to be converted to DVDs to be sure I would be happy with the result and also I was a bit skeptical as to whether or not my VHS' would have gotten lost. Upon receiving my tapes Southtree contacted me immediately to let me know they received them. They continually updated me as to the status (where my tapes were in production). When I received them, I sat and watched all five in one day. The one that was originally from my parents' Super*8 was from 1947 through 1979. I laughed, cried and applauded as I got to see everyone so vividly, so happy; lost so many years ago to me. I immediately sent the next 11 VHS tapes to Southtree and I have been kept up to date on a regular basis as to where they are in production. Southtree THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GIVING ME BACK MY MEMORIES!
Joan Steever - Morristown NJ

sharonm85
7/4/15

I converted an old cassette of my daughter singing--a cassette(!) so you know how old that was! The CD arrived in far less time than the company said, and the sound quality is first rate. I am so glad to have this memory, and I think it was a real bargain as well.

meralt
6/26/15

I had a great experince with this company. Very fast service

bingm5
6/26/15

THE BEST. I could not be more pleased with the efficient, first class service I received throughout the entire process … from mailing in my VHS tapes to receiving excellent quality DVDs and digital files. All along the way I got frequent email notices about how my order was doing and when i would get my movies back.
I highly recommend Southtree to one and all!

sharonp37
6/26/15

I have used Southtree twice now and have been happy with work they do in preserving memories on dvds. I have also recommended my mother-in-law to send her stuff there and she is happy with hers also. I love the fact they keep you in the loop thru emails from time they receive them till they send them back to me. And they cost less than the other sites and they have sales. So does Groupon

janah9
6/24/15

Where to start! I guess from the beginning. I have always known about all sorts of media transfer places, but just was not comfortable sending all my VHS tapes for fear of them being lost in the mail, but upon recommendation from some close friends for Southtree, I took the plunge and sent just a few at first.
I was extremely impressed with the whole process that Southtree has in place from the moment they receive your media to increments of the process. I was so comforted knowing what was going on throughout the whole process, and upon receiving my new DVDs, it is a blessing beyond belief at how inexpensive it was to turn memories onto DVDs that can be easily watched any day and that are preserved that much longer than my old VHS tapes of which were 21 years old! I definitely recommend Southtree for any media service. They are always emailing coupons and discounts all the time so make it very affordable and you don't miss a good sale if you decided not to act on the most recent discount, they are great group of people there in Chattanooga that really understand how to do this type of job well and bless families.

hilaryd4
6/8/15

Prompt delivery, very good quality considering the age of my vcr tapes.

billb120
6/7/15

It has been exhausting doing business with this company. After reading some positive reviews I purchased 2 coupons from them through Group-on. BIG MISTAKE. First coupon used I sent them 16 VHS tapes to convert to DVD. Second one used to convert 17 mini-tapes to DVD. I reviewed all the tapes prior to shipping them. there were some minor flaws with them (tracking line that would come and go here and there) but nothing major. When I received the DVD's half of them had issues. One DVD returned had a Hollywood movie on it that was not on any of tapes? Three of the DVD's had half the footage recorded that was on the tape...like someone stopped it before it completed the conversion. Several DVD's either had serious tracking or volume issues. They slap a note on the tape basically stating "did the best we could but....". Now you would think, maybe it was the tapes? But here is the kicker, I checked the tapes at home AGAIN! And did not find any issues. I returned the tapes with the converted DVD after explaining the issue and received replacements. Of these replacement DVD's, some that had major video issues the first time but no volume issues now had major volume issues but the video was fine??? Another note attached to the tape with that message "sorry", Plus, like the 1st shipment, a few DVD's did not have the full footage of the tape. Now I'm really steamed. How could the volume be fine the 1st time but not the 2nd time, where as the video was fine the 2nd time but not the 1st time?? And what is with cutting the tape short? So now I speak with a supervisor (Josh) whom says "here is my direct email, I'm going to handle this personally". Okay, great! Send these back for a 3rd time. Half come back converted fine. The other half...more issues. I have spent so much time reviewing my original tapes to check for flaws...then checking the converted DVD's 2-3 times. I'm talking hours that I don't really have. I've dealt with several other conversion companies over the years and never had any major issues. You should be able to send in your items for conversion, receive them in the allotted time, seat down and enjoy them. My experience with Southtree has been anything but enjoyable.

melissab65
6/3/15

I sent them VHS tapes and a bunch of mini cassettes. They did a great job of converting them to DVD. They sent me numerous emails to update me throughout the process. I received my DVD's and everything I sent them without any problems. The process did take over a month, but they inform you of that on their website, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. I would prefer a company that takes their time and does a good job to a company that is quick, but doesn't do quality work. I've used another company, and compared to that other company, Southtree did a much better job.

tinag25
5/18/15

Southtree converted a 25 year old cassette tape of my grandfather playing the fiddle with his folk band. I haven't heard that tape in as many years. Now I have it on CD and my computer, thanks to Southtree. Service was excellent and so is the quality, and the price was very reasonable. I will definitely use them again in the future if the need arises.

mistiem2
5/10/15

I would definately recommend Southtree to anyone! My video camera stopped working and had 16 tapes that I decided to have transferred to DVD. Southtree said it would take 6-8 weeks and they kept their word. They emailed me with updates as the tapes were being processed. They came in great shape. I was so thrilled. I also got my originals back. If you want good quality and a company that will take care of your memories then Southtree is the company to pick!

mikem255
5/6/15

I am very pleased with my DVD's
Excellent work and was hsppy with their time

marys183
4/28/15

Sent them 10 mini vhs tapes that were 20 years old to convert. They kept me up to date with emails during the process. I received everything back as promised within the 6 week time frame and the quality was very good.

ronj21
4/17/15

Shop around. I used a Groupon and still paid out the nose. I found out later that I could have had the work done locally for less than my Groupon "deal". Use your money wisely and shop elsewhere

nvbb
4/17/15

It took 6 months and numerous emails to receive my order. Incompetent. Blundering. Unprofessional. Stay away!

lauram86
4/6/15

Without a doubt, your company provides outstanding services! You really came through by digitizing my reel-to-reel tape. Fond memories have been recaptured and what a surprise for everyone when they heard voices from the past! ‘ A treasure! Thank you for a First Class job!
Laura - Richmond, Virginia

kimj42
3/30/15

Not only have they had my stuff for over 3 months but I received back half my order along with other peoples memories! They keep promising daily a tracking number for the rest of my stuff but I have yet to receive these irreplaceable memories from the 40s!! They have lied countless times and do not return calls or emails! Please protect yourself!!! UPDATE- The owner called me and confirmed my worst fears that his manager has been lying to me and they have LOST my memories!!!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY AND IF IT IS TOO LATE - DEMAND YOUR STUFF BACK UNTOUCHED!

bos208
3/24/15

All I can say about this company is that they go the extra mile to get it as close to perfect as could be expected based on the physical conditions of the tape given them.

In my case I gave them a foreign PAL video tape I had gotten from England of an episode I couldn't find in the USA and so didn't know what condition it would be in since I couldn't view it on my NTSC only VCR.

I was very impressed with this company from beginning to end as they gave me blow by blow information in regards to how my tape was doing. That wasn't the most amazing thing however to me. What really impressed me about this company is based on the finished product I could see that they bent over backwards to make this a success.

Even though they put a sticker on the product apologizing for not being able to rehabilitate it to a flawless reproduction what I found was true dedication and true concern for the customer they were dealing with and here is why.

When I put the DVD into my player I noticed there was a menu with two subtitles. I didn't expect to see any as I opted not to pay the extra for titles but decided I would create my own when I had time. When I discovered why their were subtitles my respect for this company just skyrocketed because what I saw was a lot of toiling over my tape to get it as right as it could be.

You see the first title was there original attempt which was as their sticker said not so great. HOWEVER the second title which was the whole videotape again was much better in quality. I called them sharing my appreciation for the time they took to do this project and to think they would send me both of their conversions. SOUTH TREE told me they do this because they want to make sure they do everything in their power to get it right and if someone discovers a way that could better the condition of the product they will rerun it and then give the customer any attempt that was tried to make the project a success.

I just want to say a big thank you because of you SOUTH TREE I am able to view a show that is very rare to find and that in fact I would not have been able to do myself unless perhaps I wanted to invest in every piece of equipment needed and spend the time to do it but even than I would need an assistant so they took the headache out of it and for a very low price of less than $30 not only converted the tape to the North American Standard NTSC, not only did they digitalize the tape but they went the extra mile to redue the conversion when the first attempt was less then par for the finished work so that I could have an end product that was a joy to watch instead of giving headaches do to bad quality visual and audio.

Thank you SouthTree for working on my video tape that was in less than ideal condition and making it acceptable to watch and a pleasure to relive.

Tip for consumers: if you have any questions call them before you start the process. I did and I was able to get all my presales questions answered thoroughly and accurately.

markm168
3/18/15

Very happy with service and return time .Unfortunately quality was poor but that was due to the original vhs tape.I would defintely use Southtree again.

josmellp
3/10/15

It was a present for my parents to have our childhood pictures from Peru saved and Southtree did just that. The pictures turned out great. Look forward to sending more pictures.

Tip for consumers: Know it takes a little time.

jamesm245
3/10/15

Good service....happy with result....have others I will have done
James morten

margareth42
3/2/15

My husband purchased two groupons for the transfer service. I was very hesitant to send my precious memories of the children. But I sent them. When I opened the box and did an inventory, I noticed two of the original tapes were missing. I proceeded to watch the hours of DVDs, praying that at least the tapes had been transferred to DVD . I am heart broken, we had taken a trip to Australia..now that recording is lost. My daughter won a world pinto championship- that recording is also lost. I also noticed that the DVDs they sent had smudges and scratches... Would not do this again.

ronp31
2/12/15

Outstanding job on my orders. They converted several mini VHS cassettes to DVDs and some 40 year old audio cassette tapes to audio CDs. I am very satisfied with the quality of their work as well as their responsiveness. I was informed about the job progress at each step, and they shipped the final product before the estimated ship date. Would definitely use again

gomerp
2/12/15

The process took 6 weeks. when I FINALLY got the digital copy, it had over an hour of blank space at the end. I sent an email to their customer service to see if they would remedy the problem and received a curt response back with no effort to rectify the problem. there are plenty of other sites that do the same thing. I will not be using Southtree.com in the future and would recommend against anyone else doing so.

darylw11
2/10/15

I have only used two services to copy my prints to a digital format, Peggy Bank and Southtree. THe digital images were good. Service took several weeks. This is a lot better than Peggy Bank. Peggy Bank has had my pictures for four months now. So, comapred to Peggy Bank, Southtree is great.

18 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Southtree staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
3 days ago
Answer
maryt116
A: i haven't used "southtree", but have used "legacy box" 3x so far (think they are the same company) and have had excellent luck !!! got everything back each time and got credit for some accidental blank tapes i sent. some are great and some the audio isn't good, but my tapes were all almost 30 years old, so think that is not their fault. i have been very pleased with them. got all mine thru groupon or living social coupons
1 day ago