US Government's NSF

Detailed Rating Summary

▼ Sort by: recent

theprofx
12/29/15

Ordered a custom pendant as an anniversary present. Unhappy with the result.
It came much larger than designed and rough with pointed edges (when it was specified to have a round polished finish).
No refund policy. No replying to emails.
No customer service.
I will say the shape and strength appears well crafted and understand some of the difficulties posed by 3D printing, but no communication with their customers is their let down.

jamesb299
12/15/15

They sent me a more thinner almost tin like version of the ring I ordered. I ordered a much larger size and they sent me a ring at least two sizes too small. They never responded to my emails or sent me a new one to be in good form. I have asked them to send the correct size and have not gotten any response.

katharinas
10/9/15

incredibly bad business. would not buy from them ever again. shipped the wrong item and then still have a no return policy? also item was made extremly sloppily and cheaply, a wall plate for nest almost made out of a thicker version of ? paper?? for 33 dollars and they shipped a size so ridiculously small it doesn't fit to a nest at all anyways. horrible. stay away.

mathiasm25
9/25/15

In this day and age to have no return policy is juSt ridiculous. We ordered feet for eames chairs, the description said they were flexible but they weren't, at all and they did not fit the chairs we have. They were cheap, plastic items, not worth the money they charged. Customer service had us take pictures and send in multiple emails but the response was, sorry we don't have a return policy. So now we have 28 feet that don't work. Never again!

markw159
9/8/15

While the quality of workmanship is just abysmal, even worse, is the customer service.

When I brought the issue up to customer service their response was basically, "Too bad."

If I can save one person from the grief, aggravation, not to mention disappointment they'll have to endure in dealing with this outfit, then maybe some good will have come from my experience.

kayleej1
8/7/15

I've given shapeways the benefit of the doubt over and over. Their plated material is crap, their 14k gold plated material turns fingers green in 4 hours and they tell me thats normal and won't issue a refund. I ordered their green polished plastic and it was so rough and not shiny at all. Not even smooth, it looks like mill wax. Their customer service is pathetic and condescending. I hoped to spend thousamds with them manufacturing my new jewelry line, but I will never work with them again. Absolutely terrible and not worth one cent.

boydj4
5/11/15

I used to like Shapeways although they were always kind of expensive especially for small objects because of their "per item" set-up charge. No discount on this fee for printing more than one. I started grouping small objects together on a tree/sprue to bring the cost down to a reasonable level when producing multiple small parts.
Many parts went through and came out perfect... but then a new "error" started appearing indicating that my sprued parts could not be properly printed and that I had to separate them and print them individually.
This is a scam to collect higher fees hidden behind a technical pretense. Objects that had printed without problem before can no longer be printed as the program recognizes multiple items on a sprue and rejects them.
If Shapeway would just drop the per item set-up fee on multiple parts or make it a fixed percentage of the material cost this would not be an issue. But on small parts the main cost is the set up fees and the costs quickly become prohibitive. With this new anti-customer policy I will no longer be using Shapeways.

donnap21
1/6/15

Horrible!!! Terrible customer service. The process is fine in the beginning until you have a question or problem. If you upload a file, use a coupon, and then they reject your file, you can no longer use the coupon. Even if you do print anyway, just a dumb policy. Plus the prices are outrageous! I can have the same item cast in silver for $2 more than they are charging for plastic. They basically won't work with you at all and are terribly disorganized (as far follow thru and answering questions, they have several people answering the same question and then they don't follow thru on what you ask). If you are considering creating pieces for resale, do yourself a favor and find someone else!!!

marthaa10
12/10/14

Poor customer support, no matter how many emails I sent. Of course, they don't list a phone number. I have lost money and customers. Poor quality material, flexible material was brittle and broke.

samsonr
9/10/14

Yes I agree, it sometimes takes for ever to get an item processed.
They give you this very far-off date for their scheduled shipping and then go as fast ot as slow as they want.

Just be aware.

jaimec3
7/9/13

It is good for cheap low quality prototyping, but it takes what feels like forever to get your pieces and they always say they are back ordered.Also, poor customer support.

tophera
4/23/13

Shapeways is a great 3D printing marketplace. You can find the latest neat, unique items for sale here. Maybe one day it will be like Amazon but with all 3D printed things!

ericm10
8/12/11

There are lots of places to get things people make, like etsy and even eBay. What Shapeways adds to this is that they have 3d printing capabilities, which lets the inventor upload a pattern and customer can then buy it in different materials. Do a creative outlet where you do not need to stock the items, and the customer can get it how they want it. All that is great.

Actually doing the work and making the pieces is not always easy. The customer does not need to worry about this, but if you are a designer, things like not being able to make working metal hinges and other limits can be problematic. So there are limits, and it is not perfect, but it is a great link between designers and the general market.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Shapeways staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
11/2/15
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Shapeways staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

Online 3D Printing Resources – Reviewed By Consumers