US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jeanc25

So then, I started putting my number in to still get emails back! (in 18 reviews)

kyleh44

I started off my search with a free account at roomster.com and almost did not sign up for this site. (in 14 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

charf3
5/26/16

Scammers and poor quality tenants pool.

raeannh
5/23/16

I'm on my forth roommate utilizing Roommates.com. I have had great success. 1st roommate = 4 years, 2nd roommate = 1 year, 3rd
roommate = 2 years. My next roommate moves in on the first of June and I am confident that this will be as successful as the previous 3.
Thank you roommates.com!!!!!

wymanc
5/23/16

Step 1: Make a profile. If you want to go to Step 2, you have to pay. Would be nice to get a few free messages to try it out. I have a feeling some of the emails I'm receive are from fake accounts trying to contact me, so I will pay for roommates.com's upgraded services to read the messages. The term "upgrade" should really be "basic" services. You can't even view other members enlarged profile pictures. This is the only review I've ever made on a service. I feel that this business model is sooo poor, I had to comment. There have been so many complaints about this and the company still hasn't changed it's business model. Shows what Roommates.com really care about. $$$

brunom45
5/16/16

I used the website for almost a month and it was really helpful, now I found what I need. I had many options by the way. I truly appreciate it. Thank you guys

smithr16
5/9/16

The website is user friendly and i was given a good choice of candidates. I found my roommate within 3 weeks. I would definitely use the website again.

johnm748
5/2/16

After searching and contacting different potential roommates for a couple of weeks, I found a very nice person who was renting out a beautiful house. We met and talked, and I checked out the premises and honestly couldn't ask for a nicer place to live. I highly recommend the website and I would not hesitate to use it again in the future if the need arises. Thank you.

andreer
5/2/16

Within a week I found a wonderful roommate and we are doing just fine. I have your site to thank for this. I would recommend Roommates.com to everyone who is in need of a roommate.
This is a professional and reasonably priced solution and I deeply appreciate what you have done for me.
cardmama

Tip for consumers: Just use Roommates.com; there is none like it!!

kylet18
4/29/16

It was well worth it to find a roommate through roommate.com. I had a few accounts with a few different websites, but ended up finding a roommate through this site.

delb202
4/28/16

I am a paid member looking for new place. Caucasian from western Europe, Educated, with an accent !
I found discrimination and narrow minded behavior and no place to live.
So if you are a minority even if you like like every body, Just FORGET it you are wasting your time.

geneb30
4/24/16

Roommates.com provided a great selection of potential roommates and an easy way to communicate with them. The matches were done in good taste and it helped to clear out those less compatible. The price for the membership is reasonable and worth it if you are serious about living with a responsible person. As I know that everyones preference is different, this was a great investment for me. Thanks Roommate.com. You were here for me when I needed you the most.

Most grateful,
GeneBean 2016

ronaldm76
4/22/16

WOW !! Your Web Site is truly AMAZING !!! Found a Roommate in JUST 3 day's. My wife and I are grateful to you. Not did we just find a roommate, we also found a new friend. Thank you !!!

jonathanh64
4/16/16

This company might be ok if they were upfront about what you can do for free.
I spent a week desperately waiting for a response to my messages to get a roommate fast (i got a job offer in a different city and need to move fast), only to receive a message, and find out that i can not read it or any message without paying .
If they told me this up front, it would be ok, but waiting to tell me this after i have wasted a week of my time and someone else's seems really dishonest.
Honestly, craigslist works much better and is free.
*Update*
I give the company credit, they responded to this review, quickly , calmly and in a professional manner. However, in my experience, most companies will provide a checklist of features at each price point upon creation of an account , so the customer is not unpleasantly surprised and forced to upgrade.
But i am really impressed with how fast they replied to this, good work.

michaelm405
4/14/16

I am so happy, I believe I have found the perfect living location, as well as a great landlord, and friend. Very happy with the quick response I got too,.

ericaf19
4/12/16

I found the right roommate for me through this site. It was easy and quick. Of curse I had to do my own back ground check on the person before agreeing to share my home with her but its worked out. I had many responses and several people to choose from. I recommend this site.

aneruthp
4/11/16

This site is awesome for searching roommates.They send potential roommate details based on your requirements. I would definitely recommend this website for people searching for roommate.

rebeccab96
4/3/16

Roommates is an exceptional website to find a room to rent. I had less than 30 days to find my room. It was great to have the capability to use their search criteria, to put in a city, and the radius of miles from that location. It's easy to set up your profile, and put in the information that is applicable to what you are looking for. My Roommate contacted me, his criteria matched what I was looking for, so it was a win/win situation for us both. Thank you Roommates, I will definitely use you in the future if/when I have to move again. :)

jeremym60
4/1/16

Roommates.com has the best interface, cheapest and most fair membership policies, and ultimately where I found my new roommate. Other websites like Roomster tend to be sketchy and try to scam you out of money with hidden automatic membership renewals.

elainer18
3/31/16

When I decided to place an ad for a roommate in my home, I was reluctant about the type of person responding as this was a new experience for me. I started searching for a site specific to my needs and came across Roommates.com. I joined and placed my posting and within a week or two received an email from a potential roommate. She is an awesome person, honest, caring, professional....she is my friend!! I am looking for another roommate to join us. Thank you so very much. Elaine

elainz
3/30/16

- 0 -0- - 0 And roommates.com won't give me the info on the person who "really" rented a room from me? He robbed my house and stole electronics from other roommates! I am Lived!

susans211
3/28/16

I contacted several of the inquiries for a roommate on your site, however the second respondent turned out to be the charm, I am very pleased to have found a responsible. "clean" (background checks) roommate. Thank you,

joanb47
3/7/16

3 Days after I joined Roommates, I have a renter - already moved in. Had gotten MANY responses - never realized how many people are looking for a place. It is easy to screen prospective renters online. I was very picky about who I would even invite to see my place.
This is the second time I've used your site - had a quick response last time, too. And both of my renters have turned out to be great! Marvelous way to find a roommate! Recommend it highly!!

cd83
3/3/16

In 2008, I had the opportunity to move to Boulder, Colorado for a new position. Not knowing the area well--and not having time to travel there to investigate--I found Roommates.com and was able to connect with a family that had a basement to rent. It worked perfectly for me! After a couple phone calls and providing references to my prospective landlord/roommate, I made the commitment and moved to Colorado! I ended up staying in that rental for two years, much longer than originally intended as it worked out so well.

A couple years later, I went through the same process when moving to northern Virginia for a job in DC. Worked great again, and while my landlord eventually decided to no longer want a roommate, I was once again able to use Roommates.com to find my next residence!

I would not hesitate to use them again if the need arose. Just be sure to *exchange* references with your prospective landlord/roommate and check them before committing.

Try it!

davidl265
3/3/16

Roommates asks the right questions for both sides to make a perfect fit. The best outcome I could hope for turned up within a few days and only have to move 3 miles up the road!

My only suggestion would be to those who are advertising to add more pictures which show the actual room and not just an outside picture of the house etc...

Thanks again!

fucky37
3/2/16

Haha, the reviews are in! Do not use this site. Scam, the old bair and switch. Free to make, pay to use. Trust me, if you pay, you still will find nothing.

Ask $#*! about Roommates.com
daniele68
2/29/16

What crap your website is. Thanks for nothin.

andreap50
2/26/16

You can't do anything in the free version of the site that would lead towards finding a new roommate. You can't see what a person writes about themselves, you can't read their messages, you can't see their photos or exchange contact info. The only thing you can do is write a profile for free. I suppose that's convenient for the service to claim they have lots of people using the site. A bunch of free profiles seeing their matches, sending messages in the dark, hoping the other person has a paid account. But for $20/month, it seems like quite the premium for a bare bones profile matching and message services. It doesn't really have any vetting behind it, to give it an appeal over just using something that is free, like Craigslist, or posting on community Reddit/facebook groups etc.

liliank7
2/24/16

I have roommate and easy roommate but roommate was better result so this time I only use roommate.com

ilenes2
2/11/16

Thank you for finding the perfect roommate for me. That's the only medicine I need for my medical problem, a 4 year old and her mommy.

billyo8
2/8/16

The residence I was living in was listed and placed under contract in 10 days. I had 1 month to find a place to live and a full time job. I found the job and thanks to roommates.com I found an incredible home 5.3 miles from my new job. The place is perfect!

jeremiahd11
1/29/16

I paid for premium subscription, $20, and after it ended I was wondering why I hadn't got a single message. I sent out at least a dozen messages to people.

I clicked my sent box, and it was empty. Apparently none of the messages that were CONFIRMED to have been sent were in my sent box, telling me none of them actually went through. I sent a message to customer service about this, explaining I felt cheated since I paid $20 and none of my messages went through (Even though it said they did.)

Their response was to say "You probably didn't send your messages right."

I sent another reply, explaining in detail how I sent the messages, keeping the support ticket open, and they never responded back.

Tip for consumers: Just use craigslist, or housing groups on facebook.

gabbys4
1/15/16

This is an amazing site. I found a roommate the following day after posting my ad. I would definitely recommend and use again if the occasion arises.

kyleh44
1/11/16

I started off my search with a free account at roomster.com and almost did not sign up for this site. Roomster was not user friendly nor did it turn up half as good results as roommates. I got a half off deal and it was well worth the full price. I found my roommate and will be moving in about a month. Thank you to all the designers, it was a wonderful experience.

alanc61
12/15/15

Posted room for rent and took $2,500 FOR PLACE SHE DID NOT OWN.
Criminal the roommates.com allows this to happen.

tinah50
12/13/15

I WAS SENT PICURE OF A PLACE THAT WAS NOT OWNED BY THE PERSON

lois johnson AT THIS EMAIL ADDRESS <loiswallmart@outlook.com>

SHE WANTED 2100.00 DEPOSIT ON A BEVERLY HILLS APT & ONE MONTHS RENT FOR A BEDROOM ROOMMATE.

SHE LIVES IN MINNESOTA?

HER LAST NAME IS FAKE.

She said "SEND MONEY THEN I WILL SEND YOU THE KEYS."

I said " I WANT TO SEE THE PLACE FIRST. She refused

I said, I WOULD LIKE REFERNCES & SPEAK TO THE CARETAKER OF THE BUILDING."

SHE REFUSED.

DO NOT USE THIS SITE

charlettew
11/15/15

I am glad I read the reviews first. I will pass, it sounds like Roommates.com is using deceptive advertising to lure in customers. Not good because customers are unhappy and feel mislead. Free is Free, period. Put your charges up front vs hiding them behind a dark face. Be Honest. I almost signed up, something told me read the reviews first. I too thought it was totally free as there was nothing in the wording that indicated their would be a charge later. Deceptive Advertising. Roommates pre-worded explanation is just a well written script but that's all, it does not truly feel sorry for misleading the customers or does it address each of your reviews.

meridam
11/5/15

I posted an add on Roommates.com using their free account thinking i'd be able to send and receive emails for free, as that would make sense for the site to work. However, to read your emails or send your emails you HAVE to upgrade your account. The problem with this is that even if you do upgrade your account, which I did, others cant view the mail you've sent them unless they too have an upgraded account. Ive sent out over 20 emails with no responses only to realize that the recipients don't have access to the messages ive sent. A MASSIVE waste of money and time.

Very frustrated.

colinn4
11/1/15

Advertising with the word 'free' then waiting until someone receives a message to tell them they have to PAY to be able to read them is dishonest. It is sprung on you as a complete surprise. If you're going to charge to use your site, be up front and honest about it.

You can't throw the word 'free' at people, then put a paywall on a function of that site that renders it completely useless without paying for it.

All this does is make me suspect the overwhelming majority of your users are abandoned profiles that never paid the fee. You don't even have an indicator on profiles of whether or not someone is subscribed!

They have responded, and I'd like to add a rebuttal to two more things they added:

"The most common ways are to send contact information within emails to other users and post contact information within profile descriptions for other users to see."

* Only paying users can view comments on profiles

* I will reiterate that you cannot view a message unless you pay for a subscription.

* They also do not allow you to choose the subject line of the message you send, so you can't put your e-mail in the subject line either.

You're trying to tell me that I can circumvent the requirement to pay for your site, yet none of the things you cited as a method of circumventing payment would actually do that.

deannap5
9/30/15

Was on this with a paid membership for 2 months and did not receive one valid response. Went to easyroommates.com and had 6 valid replies within 4 days. Found a perfect roommate on the 5th day! If you pay for a membership, you should be able to contact potential roommates without them having to pay to read your emails! Don't waste your time and money!

andrewl73
9/2/15

Makes you go through a ton of signing up and you put up your listing and you cant even see any messages from anyone without paying 20$ a month. No thanks I hate this site.

amandat47
8/28/15

Hi guys, I know there has been a bad rep for the site, but I tried the 3 day and adamantly will be checking on it to make sure I only get charged the one time fee. (email support@roommates.com) But unless you pay it wont benefit you, I have only been on for 2 days and everything I have checked into was legit and real in Jax, FL. The people were real, we texted, sent pics, I think I have found the best place. Will find out more tomorrow, but I prefer this even over craigslist. But in order for it work the person you email also has to be paying to use the service, otherwise I dont think they see your description either posted at the end of the bio. And of course cant email messages. I got phone numbers with local numbers. I did get a few from craigs list asking me to go to roommatenext.com (not roommates.com) to get on with the inquiry of the room, but from other reviews I ignored them and went on with my day(they were not local phone numbers that texted me). The key to all of this is people have to pay to see the facts, but you get what you pay for. Customer service treated me really good. If you really need to verify email/contact me I am impressed, I didnt have any hopes at all but was so blessed. The key is everyone does have to pay for the service and I am on the 3 day trail. Hope this helps and again so pleasantly surprised!

Tip for consumers: You have to pay and pray that it works! ;) If people that you are emailing are not responding, more than likely they haven't paid either. So it aint gonna work!

joem151
8/27/15

I moved to another state and used roommates to find a place to live while I got my feet on the ground. It worked out and I found a match pretty quickly. I'm grateful that I was able to find a place to live on a budget so fast.

melindam14
8/5/15

That hasn't been said here before. I'm SO mad at myself for not coming to SiteJabber and looking at the reviews FIRST!

Don't use this "service". It's F&^@ed up.... and a total scam.

ashleyn22
7/18/15

I am very disappointed with this "service". I had very few matches because I have a nine year old daughter, which is to be expected. It takes a very open-minded non-parent to welcome a kid into their home. However, I did have a handful of matches. Of those 5-6 matches, 3 were VERY CLEARLY SCAMS. They had poor writing skills or English was their second language although they all claimed to be from the "States" and have a recently deceased father. They all sent a list demanding that documentation be signed saying that we're reserving to be their roommate sight unseen and that we had to send security deposit and first month at the same time. They were all unavailable until several months in the future, and oddly none had friends in the area to show the place although they all "lived there". Highly unlikely! One stopped replying immediately and deleted their posting once I started asking questions. Another challenged me and asked me what was wrong with me, why would I think that it was a potential scam (10 messages in) when they still refused to show me the place, told me I could drive by, and were still asking for money. Horrible experience!!!

robertj79
7/16/15

I love you roomster website , its helpful website for rooms&aptartmentshere

yesenian
6/29/15

So Ridiculous, so just like everyone else, I Only Signed Up for a 3 DAY SUBSCRIPTION. blew up my mailbox with junk, didn't find the site useful at all. Nobody signs up here, maybe like a few listings a day in my area and I live in East La. Found my own place elsewhere, yesterday , so mind you I haven't even used it in a couple days. Today I check my bank account, and see that they charged me a 29.20$ Charge ! that I NEVER AGREED TO. Literally, there was no fine print. NOTHING. THEY AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE YOU WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. Called Chase right away and they shut down my debit card, because CANNOT TRUST THEM. plus they don't even have a phone number to contact them on site, all they have is a phony ass email . Like WTF is that going to do ? SAVE YOURSELF. DO NOT USE

marjorys1
4/19/15

After signing up I receive an email... Thank you for joining Roommates.com! Use the following login information to gain access to the members area. You'll then be able to browse matches, send and receive messages, and edit your account / profile. If you were disconnected during sign up, don't worry, your information has been saved. Just revisit the site and log in with your user name and password. It says that you can send and RECEIVE messages, but RECEIVE is where they trick you. Yes, you can receive messages, but they fail to tell you that YOU HAVE TO PAY TO OPEN YOUR MESSAGES.

jeanc25
3/26/15

I used to pay $5.00 every email. It got me know where. It doesn't matter, male, female, Everybody I spoke to is hyper and drunk! Can't make up their mind if they want a roommate or a lover! One person told me, I can't bring meat in the house, but he has a friend accross the road whom would rent to me. So, I called. I was able to bring meat in the house, but not cook it. I thought then and there, I will not pay $5.00 to put myself through this again. So then, I started putting my number in to still get emails back! If I gave you the number, it takes nothing to write it down and call. Especially after giving the number to do so. A scam? I will never know and don't want to deal with this. I need a roommate not a head game! I don't understand adults playing this game. If you are not serious, what's the point? Go on twitter to play games!

cathyb19
1/15/15

I wish I had read these before I paid the 20.00. I never receive any answers back. I think they have people posting fake stuff to get you to pay the money.

Bad site

bhj
12/1/14

Unlike others who have complained about the $20 membership fee I wish this site would get rid of the "freebies". If everyone had to pay then maybe the only people who would take the time to fill out a profile would be serious about finding a roommate. As it stands, the site is filled with absolute crap, fake people, people who put a profile up just for kicks and forget to take it down, etc. And the simple fact that you cannot contact a potential roommate unless you are a paid subscriber negates the effectiveness of the site. At least 1 person has to have paid. I kinda cheated and listed an Outlook email account I created just for finding a roommate. But again, unless someone has paid, you can't even see that. To be fair, several potential roommates (non scam) did contact me but it didn't work out. But that's over a period of about 6 months. It seems to me the site is not a true roommate site. As in 2 people share a place completely 50/50. It's mainly lots and lots of people who have trouble making their mortgage and just want to rent a room.

freddyi
11/15/14

total scam, it makes no indication that you have to pay for anything until someone emails you, then it tells you have have to "upgrade" aka pay money to see the message. stay away.

6 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Roommates.com staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
8/26/15
Add your answer
8/10/15
Answer
bhj
A: As the others have said, the roommates.com company tries it's best to monitor their site. They are responsive to complaints/problems. The basic "untruth" is that you can find a match even if neither person pays. I have yet to find a way to sneak a personal email address into the info that is available for free. At least one person has to pay. I have received and replied to many emails; giving the person a personal email address. I have gotten very few replies. I have had no overt contact with scammers or loonies but I have received emails from people who live 40 miles from my requested area. Their power match feature is not helpful because it only lists maximum rent. So I'm constantly being sent matches from people who want to pay way too little money. I'm looking for a roommate using the most classic definition of the word. 2 people look for a place, sign a lease together, and share everything 50/50. What this site mainly has are room rentals. Often furnished room rentals. (Which brings up another question, what kind of person, aged 40-70, has nothing but clothes? No other possessions?) I've been renting a room, living in someone else's house for almost 2 years. And I'm so over it.
8/11/15