US Government's NSF

Roommates reviews

28 Reviews for Roommates.com

▼ Sort by: recent

9/1/14

Same as every other review on here. Went through the whole process of setting up an account, got an email the next day which I wasn't allowed to read. I thought about sending this person an email explaining that I'm not a paid member but I assumed they were not either so just didn't bother. And why is it so expensive? Six bucks for a three day trial? I'd rather be spammed with ads than pay for something I'll only use once. Such a waste of time.

Protip: If you're going to set up an online business that charges a subscription fee, you really ought to mention that before making people create pointless accounts, otherwise you're just gonna piss off a lot of people and ruin your business.

Tip for consumers: Try a free site first.

8/26/14

I agree. Roommates.com is a huge waste of time and money. I was looking to rent a room in NYC. After upgrading for the 1 month unlimited access, I sent out about 40 inquires. Of the 10 or so that actually replied, 9 were from scam artists. The tenth I'm not sure that he was or not. The site does alert you about scammers. Basically everyone that replied to me, I received a message from the administrators that the user was a fraud and suppressed. Complete waste of time and money. I don't mind paying to upgrade if I'm going to get what I need. With this site it's not worth it. I believe almost 90% of the profiles are scammers. Zero stars.

Tip for consumers: Don't waste your money.

7/23/14

All the emails I got was fake, I tried Dream-mate.com and found a great room. You get to speak to a live person and they give you landlord information the same day. I moved in the next day. Roommates.com is a SCAM

4/27/14

Spent the 20 bucks, received ZERO emails for my posting or replies to emails i sent. within days after my upgraded account running out, I started receiving emails. TOTAL SCAM. Sorry roommates.com, but that's oldschool dating site scammery from the 90's and easily recognizable. immediately deactivated account, only to find now i cannot delete my account. Certainly so that the website can use it to scam others, which is yet another dating site scam from 2 years ago. What a total fraud site. Stay away. Far away.

3/21/14

I had to cancel my listing once I realized what they were doing. Here was my comment to them: There is no functionality except to see a match or listing but only basic information without upgrading. There is no way to communicate with prospects without upgrading. In fact there is really nothing useful that can be done without upgrading. Why do you allow people to even post for free. I was VERY dissatisfied and your service is useless to me and I found it underhanded and misleading. If you had just said that this is NOT a free service up front, it would have at least been honest. I will be using another service and posting my experience regarding Roommates.com.

1/31/14

My experience has been pretty much the same as all of the others. No legitimate emails. I had a couple that were so clearly fraud with misspelled words and very poor English. The sender claimed to live in my city but from the statements they made it was obvious she had never even been here. If this was an email that they let through what must the others that they stopped be like? Terrible!

12/10/13

dido. the same thing happened with me. No one answers e mail. you only get the same matches over and over again..(((this is a scam. They collect money and then use the same fishing profiles over and over that are not even real. I did not receive one call back from any of the profiles since they are old or never existed. Do NOT use this site.)))))) SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY

11/18/13

8/4/13

I came on site jabber to do the review for roomster.com - because it absolutely sucked with 1 fake lead and tries to auto-renew your membership, while roommates.com actually gave me real leads and got me a room.

So after reviewing roomster.com with 1/5, I decided to take a look here, and surprise, 1/5 also!

From my view roommates.com worked, so it deserves at least a 3/5.
Since the sites needs to make money, it's totally understandable to charge people for its service. Now, if only it allowed FREE members to read messages sent by PAID members, I'd give it a 5/5. I'd imagine it will drastically improve chances of a good match, and not as many messages sent with no reply.

7/17/13

Such a scam. I paid the inital $3 fee to have a 3 day trial and I just realized, two months later that they were charging me $30 a month to have my account active. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ROOMMATES.COM. I found my roommate on craigslist and she is totally normal.

7/16/13

This website sucks!!!! I am sorry for setting up an account, what a waste of time- I can't set my preference to narrow my search and then to have to upgrade just to figure what area of phoenix these listings are located. I will blog about my experience through Roommates.com not a very easy or rewarding experience this has been for me. I am more frustrated then ever wasting my time with this ridiculous site. I will spend more time validating through rating blogs about you ROOMMATE.COM good luck with your business, I would rather go through craigslist then to pay roommate.com who trick viewers to setup an account only to request payment for capabilities to view information on available roommate ads from the start of creating an account. Roommate doesn't operate business on integrity or for the interest of internet prospectors.

5/22/13

Utter waste of time and money. Thankfully, I only lost $20.00. Nothing worth paying for on this site. The free sites gave me more choices, matches and information. I knew better, but still fell for the "pay" to view more info on my matches ploy!

5/9/13

This is NOT about the service of the site itself, but about their deplorable security practices. They store all passwords in their database as plaintext which is THE FIRST THING YOU LEARN NOT TO DO when developing user-driven websites. You can verify this by indicating you forgot your password - and then receiving your exact password as plaintext in your email. This is completely unforgivable and alone is an excellent reason to never use the site.

DO NOT PUT ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THE SITE, IT IS INSECURE, UNENCRYPTED, AND EASILY EXPLOITABLE.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were simple SQL injection vulnerabilities to dump the user table. These two vulnerabilities go hand-in-hand to compromise every single user password in the system. STAY AWAY.

2/26/13

I needed a place, I used Roommates.com paid membership about 8-9 years ago and I found a great roommate. Now I had a place to rent and I posted an ad on roommates.com. I mostly got emails that had been "flagged by their fraud department". They don't show you the content of those emails, just tell you the message was removed. Emails I sent to prospective roommates never got answered. (Now I know why, but more on that later!). I decided to upgrade my membership. I did get a couple of messages, but not enough to justify the paid membership; and I still was getting "flagged" messages often. I also sent several emails to possible "matches" but all those emails went unanswered. Once my paid membership ended I decided not to renew, but kept the free ad running just in case. I did get a few "flagged" emails and a couple of what appears to be legit emails, but it turns out "I can't read them unless I pay for membership". What a bunch of BS!!! Now I know the reason why all those e-mails I sent to prospective roommates were never answered, most of them didn't have the paid membership. I get that some of the "premium" features should only available to those who pay, but the ability to read/respond to emails should not be one of them. It seems now this site is just a scam with made up profiles to make it look bigger than it is. It used to be a good service, but that's no longer the case. 8-9 years later you think the web site would have been upgraded, but it looks just as it did then.

1/17/13

As the rating says: "Doesn't get any worse than this. Stay away!". I have been now for days trying to get a refund issued back to my card for a 60 day subscription to their service and they keep on trying to up-sell me...
I've told them many times, but they just don't listen.

Don't waste your time AND MONEY on this site. Now... I want my refund!

7/22/12

This site is total garbage! most of the emails I ever got were blocked from the site as being detected as fraud...which is all well and good, except I was still nearly scammed. I sent out numerous emails and only got 1 response. As I read the other reviews I can see I am not the only one. I only wish I had read these prior to wasting the 29.99 I didn't have to waste in the first place. And now I just caaan't waaait for Matt from roommates to respond with his useless comment on my post. oh look at that I have a "match" in my email. I can't wait to not read it because I refuse to be defrauded again.

6/26/12

This is the only roommate website I've encountered where I regularly get scammer emails. In fact, the vast majority of my emails have been from scammers in one case from the same one twice after it changed its user name after having been detected. On two occasions after my premium membership expired and I paid the fee again so I could read my email, I checked my email and guess what? Scammers. I really think that in a case such as this some consideration should be given to those who've paid the fee just so they can read their email only to find that it was suppressed by the Fraud Department. This strikes me as highly suspicious. I wouldn't recommend this site to anyone.

5/16/12

scam artist has found the perfect breeding ground for committing fraud. roommates.com is sitting by while honest members are being robbed blindly.
I was robbed of $2500.00 and there is nothing I can do about it except to warn unsuspecting people of the scam.

scammed

4/22/12

The rep from the site said it's free to view and email potential roommates. Untrue. If you've signed on as a freebe, you MUST upgrade to a paid account to view any email sent to you by other members who have attempted to send you emails. My suspicion is that staffers are actually sending emails because the email I received dated 4/20/12 stated in the subject line: "We're a perfect match." Hello? I don't think so.

Buyer beware!

4/9/12

ended up sharing a home with a CRAZY LADY FROM TIERRASANTA IN SAN DIEGO, CA who accused me of stealing something ridiculous which i did not. this lady needs to be reported or YELPED on. I want to WARN OTHERS about her. Found her on "ROOMMATES.COM" Please all ROOMMATES.COM PEOPLE -- PLEASE YELP ABOUT YOUR BAD EXPERIENCES SO YOU CAN PROTECT OTHERS FROM BEING EXPLOITED. THANK YOU

8/31/11

As with the other reviews, I can verify everything that they've said is true. As a paying member, you are subjected to scams. When you turn these scammers in, nothing is done to remove them from the site. Other non-paying members can not view your profile or read your e-mails. If you send an e-mail to complain about the lack of customer service, you will get a rude response telling you to just discontinue use of their service. They will not offer you a refund. They are a waste of money. Don't bother.

1/27/11

My complaint about this site is similar to Stef P.'s. When I pay money, I expect to receive ALL the information I need to decide who to contact and who not to contact. Roommates.com does not let paid members know the identity of other paid members. What that means is that they expect me to email many people who will not be able to read my emails without paying to unlock their inbox.

The company's goal is to have you pay them in order to give you the ability to waste your time trying to get other people to pay them with very little potential benefit to you.

9/24/10

Awful! The only messages I received were from scammers and whacky people who didn't even come close to fitting my criteria. I tried Craigslist and found a great roommate in a week.

8/27/10

This site is a huge waste of time and money. You can create a profile for free, but you are completely unable to use the site for finding a roommate without paying for a subscription fee. Unfortunately, most people do not pay for a subscription fee, so your emails to roommate matches will go unanswered. The only response I ever got was from a scammer.

Their profile system is horrible too--you cannot select gender without also selecting a sexual orientation, and the only options you have are straight male/female or gay male/female. I'm sorry, but not everybody can be compartmentalized like that and I had to misrepresent myself just to create a profile--not something I want to do when I'm looking for somebody to share a living space with me.

In short, don't waste your time or money with this useless site. Use Craigslist if you actually want to find a roommate.

6/24/10

I was a little confused on the first posting, so here goes. My first experience with Roommates.com was excellent. My first roommate was very decent and there weren't any problems. He simply got married, so I listed my profile, yet again. This man sent me emails and we first corresponded and then he wanted my phone number, which I felt was safe. He began to call me two and three times a day, asking me numerous questions about my political beliefs, etc. He was very pushy and wanted my address, but I felt a neutral place of meeting was safer. We met for dinner and just seemed odd. All along he had told me, he could afford the rental room. I decided to show him the room and once inside the house he tried to kiss me and he made it very clear that he wanted sex. I threatened to call the police and he left. Also, I received a phone call and I caught him trying to turn on my computer. I immediately sent an email to Roommates.com and I reported him to Roommates.com. After all of this, he was still listed. I couldn't believe it. Now, I will only deal with the newspapers. I feel it is safer.

5/29/10

I too was highly disappointed by this site. I was paid member and only response I got was from a scammer. I tried lot to find a room mate on this for a month and ultimately gave up. Nobody can wait whole life to get an accommodation. Totally useless site. Don't waste your money, time and effort on this site.

4/16/10

From first hand knowledge, I want to warn others (who are thinking about becoming a paying member of Roommates.com) on how this website does business so that they won't waste their time and money on it as I did. As a paying member you would expect that nonpaying members could read your emails sent to them. The only way a nonpaying member can read emails of a paying member is when they too become a paying member. Since the website does not tell you who the paying and nonpaying members are, a paying member may (as I did) spend hours sending emails to nonpaying members not knowing that they are unable to read them. Since very few people become paying members, it would be wise to go to other roommate websites that does allow all members (paying and nonpaying) to read paying member's emails.

7/30/09

Roommates.com is a worthless site. I went to it because I remember hearing about it a few years ago on TV. I didn't want to try craig's list because I though it was sketchy. I feel like an idiot for using this site. The price of enrollment is way to high and there are very few people on it. This is throwing your money away. They are also masters of the upsale, so prepared to be annoyed. I spent two month on the site and got only two responses, one being a nudist, the other one flaking. I gave up and tried craig's list and got 8 responses within hours. I found my roommate right away. I feel so strongly about it that I even wanted to make sure to write this so other people don't make that mistake.

The Best Roommate Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber