US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jeanc25

So then, I started putting my number in to still get emails back! (in 17 reviews)

kyleh44

I started off my search with a free account at roomster.com and almost did not sign up for this site. (in 10 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

jeremiahd11
1/29/16

I paid for premium subscription, $20, and after it ended I was wondering why I hadn't got a single message. I sent out at least a dozen messages to people.

I clicked my sent box, and it was empty. Apparently none of the messages that were CONFIRMED to have been sent were in my sent box, telling me none of them actually went through. I sent a message to customer service about this, explaining I felt cheated since I paid $20 and none of my messages went through (Even though it said they did.)

Their response was to say "You probably didn't send your messages right."

I sent another reply, explaining in detail how I sent the messages, keeping the support ticket open, and they never responded back.

Tip for consumers: Just use craigslist, or housing groups on facebook.

gabbys4
1/15/16

This is an amazing site. I found a roommate the following day after posting my ad. I would definitely recommend and use again if the occasion arises.

kyleh44
1/11/16

I started off my search with a free account at roomster.com and almost did not sign up for this site. Roomster was not user friendly nor did it turn up half as good results as roommates. I got a half off deal and it was well worth the full price. I found my roommate and will be moving in about a month. Thank you to all the designers, it was a wonderful experience.

bobs205
1/5/16

see above.

alanc61
12/15/15

Posted room for rent and took $2,500 FOR PLACE SHE DID NOT OWN.
Criminal the roommates.com allows this to happen.

tinah50
12/13/15

I WAS SENT PICURE OF A PLACE THAT WAS NOT OWNED BY THE PERSON

lois johnson AT THIS EMAIL ADDRESS <loiswallmart@outlook.com>

SHE WANTED 2100.00 DEPOSIT ON A BEVERLY HILLS APT & ONE MONTHS RENT FOR A BEDROOM ROOMMATE.

SHE LIVES IN MINNESOTA?

HER LAST NAME IS FAKE.

She said "SEND MONEY THEN I WILL SEND YOU THE KEYS."

I said " I WANT TO SEE THE PLACE FIRST. She refused

I said, I WOULD LIKE REFERNCES & SPEAK TO THE CARETAKER OF THE BUILDING."

SHE REFUSED.

DO NOT USE THIS SITE

charlettew
11/15/15

I am glad I read the reviews first. I will pass, it sounds like Roommates.com is using deceptive advertising to lure in customers. Not good because customers are unhappy and feel mislead. Free is Free, period. Put your charges up front vs hiding them behind a dark face. Be Honest. I almost signed up, something told me read the reviews first. I too thought it was totally free as there was nothing in the wording that indicated their would be a charge later. Deceptive Advertising. Roommates pre-worded explanation is just a well written script but that's all, it does not truly feel sorry for misleading the customers or does it address each of your reviews.

meridam
11/5/15

I posted an add on Roommates.com using their free account thinking i'd be able to send and receive emails for free, as that would make sense for the site to work. However, to read your emails or send your emails you HAVE to upgrade your account. The problem with this is that even if you do upgrade your account, which I did, others cant view the mail you've sent them unless they too have an upgraded account. Ive sent out over 20 emails with no responses only to realize that the recipients don't have access to the messages ive sent. A MASSIVE waste of money and time.

Very frustrated.

colinn4
11/1/15

Advertising with the word 'free' then waiting until someone receives a message to tell them they have to PAY to be able to read them is dishonest. It is sprung on you as a complete surprise. If you're going to charge to use your site, be up front and honest about it.

You can't throw the word 'free' at people, then put a paywall on a function of that site that renders it completely useless without paying for it.

All this does is make me suspect the overwhelming majority of your users are abandoned profiles that never paid the fee. You don't even have an indicator on profiles of whether or not someone is subscribed!

They have responded, and I'd like to add a rebuttal to two more things they added:

"The most common ways are to send contact information within emails to other users and post contact information within profile descriptions for other users to see."

* Only paying users can view comments on profiles

* I will reiterate that you cannot view a message unless you pay for a subscription.

* They also do not allow you to choose the subject line of the message you send, so you can't put your e-mail in the subject line either.

You're trying to tell me that I can circumvent the requirement to pay for your site, yet none of the things you cited as a method of circumventing payment would actually do that.

deannap5
9/30/15

Was on this with a paid membership for 2 months and did not receive one valid response. Went to easyroommates.com and had 6 valid replies within 4 days. Found a perfect roommate on the 5th day! If you pay for a membership, you should be able to contact potential roommates without them having to pay to read your emails! Don't waste your time and money!

andrewl73
9/2/15

Makes you go through a ton of signing up and you put up your listing and you cant even see any messages from anyone without paying 20$ a month. No thanks I hate this site.

amandat47
8/28/15

Hi guys, I know there has been a bad rep for the site, but I tried the 3 day and adamantly will be checking on it to make sure I only get charged the one time fee. (email support@roommates.com) But unless you pay it wont benefit you, I have only been on for 2 days and everything I have checked into was legit and real in Jax, FL. The people were real, we texted, sent pics, I think I have found the best place. Will find out more tomorrow, but I prefer this even over craigslist. But in order for it work the person you email also has to be paying to use the service, otherwise I dont think they see your description either posted at the end of the bio. And of course cant email messages. I got phone numbers with local numbers. I did get a few from craigs list asking me to go to roommatenext.com (not roommates.com) to get on with the inquiry of the room, but from other reviews I ignored them and went on with my day(they were not local phone numbers that texted me). The key to all of this is people have to pay to see the facts, but you get what you pay for. Customer service treated me really good. If you really need to verify email/contact me I am impressed, I didnt have any hopes at all but was so blessed. The key is everyone does have to pay for the service and I am on the 3 day trail. Hope this helps and again so pleasantly surprised!

Tip for consumers: You have to pay and pray that it works! ;) If people that you are emailing are not responding, more than likely they haven't paid either. So it aint gonna work!

joem151
8/27/15

I moved to another state and used roommates to find a place to live while I got my feet on the ground. It worked out and I found a match pretty quickly. I'm grateful that I was able to find a place to live on a budget so fast.

melindam14
8/5/15

That hasn't been said here before. I'm SO mad at myself for not coming to SiteJabber and looking at the reviews FIRST!

Don't use this "service". It's F&^@ed up.... and a total scam.

ashleyn22
7/18/15

I am very disappointed with this "service". I had very few matches because I have a nine year old daughter, which is to be expected. It takes a very open-minded non-parent to welcome a kid into their home. However, I did have a handful of matches. Of those 5-6 matches, 3 were VERY CLEARLY SCAMS. They had poor writing skills or English was their second language although they all claimed to be from the "States" and have a recently deceased father. They all sent a list demanding that documentation be signed saying that we're reserving to be their roommate sight unseen and that we had to send security deposit and first month at the same time. They were all unavailable until several months in the future, and oddly none had friends in the area to show the place although they all "lived there". Highly unlikely! One stopped replying immediately and deleted their posting once I started asking questions. Another challenged me and asked me what was wrong with me, why would I think that it was a potential scam (10 messages in) when they still refused to show me the place, told me I could drive by, and were still asking for money. Horrible experience!!!

robertj79
7/16/15

I love you roomster website , its helpful website for rooms&aptartmentshere

yesenian
6/29/15

So Ridiculous, so just like everyone else, I Only Signed Up for a 3 DAY SUBSCRIPTION. blew up my mailbox with junk, didn't find the site useful at all. Nobody signs up here, maybe like a few listings a day in my area and I live in East La. Found my own place elsewhere, yesterday , so mind you I haven't even used it in a couple days. Today I check my bank account, and see that they charged me a 29.20$ Charge ! that I NEVER AGREED TO. Literally, there was no fine print. NOTHING. THEY AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE YOU WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. Called Chase right away and they shut down my debit card, because CANNOT TRUST THEM. plus they don't even have a phone number to contact them on site, all they have is a phony ass email . Like WTF is that going to do ? SAVE YOURSELF. DO NOT USE

marjorys1
4/19/15

After signing up I receive an email... Thank you for joining Roommates.com! Use the following login information to gain access to the members area. You'll then be able to browse matches, send and receive messages, and edit your account / profile. If you were disconnected during sign up, don't worry, your information has been saved. Just revisit the site and log in with your user name and password. It says that you can send and RECEIVE messages, but RECEIVE is where they trick you. Yes, you can receive messages, but they fail to tell you that YOU HAVE TO PAY TO OPEN YOUR MESSAGES.

jeanc25
3/26/15

I used to pay $5.00 every email. It got me know where. It doesn't matter, male, female, Everybody I spoke to is hyper and drunk! Can't make up their mind if they want a roommate or a lover! One person told me, I can't bring meat in the house, but he has a friend accross the road whom would rent to me. So, I called. I was able to bring meat in the house, but not cook it. I thought then and there, I will not pay $5.00 to put myself through this again. So then, I started putting my number in to still get emails back! If I gave you the number, it takes nothing to write it down and call. Especially after giving the number to do so. A scam? I will never know and don't want to deal with this. I need a roommate not a head game! I don't understand adults playing this game. If you are not serious, what's the point? Go on twitter to play games!

cathyb19
1/15/15

I wish I had read these before I paid the 20.00. I never receive any answers back. I think they have people posting fake stuff to get you to pay the money.

Bad site

bhj
12/1/14

Unlike others who have complained about the $20 membership fee I wish this site would get rid of the "freebies". If everyone had to pay then maybe the only people who would take the time to fill out a profile would be serious about finding a roommate. As it stands, the site is filled with absolute crap, fake people, people who put a profile up just for kicks and forget to take it down, etc. And the simple fact that you cannot contact a potential roommate unless you are a paid subscriber negates the effectiveness of the site. At least 1 person has to have paid. I kinda cheated and listed an Outlook email account I created just for finding a roommate. But again, unless someone has paid, you can't even see that. To be fair, several potential roommates (non scam) did contact me but it didn't work out. But that's over a period of about 6 months. It seems to me the site is not a true roommate site. As in 2 people share a place completely 50/50. It's mainly lots and lots of people who have trouble making their mortgage and just want to rent a room.

freddyi
11/15/14

total scam, it makes no indication that you have to pay for anything until someone emails you, then it tells you have have to "upgrade" aka pay money to see the message. stay away.

robinw25
10/13/14

I have an ad for a room and only paid roomers respond via email. If you want to respond to a possibly roomer, you have to pay to read the responses.

UPDATE 9-2-2015 - Any mail u get - u can't read unless you are a paying person. Any mail you send will get to the other person, but they cannot read it if they are not a paying person. Unless your letter to the person includes all your contact, and they pay the fee, no one can read what you wrote to them. They might pay to read, then they respond back to you, but if you aren't paying the fee, you can't read what they wrote (a waste of their money!). Basically, if you are serious about renting, pay the fee and get the hits. They can't read your description now unless they are a paying member. So, putting contact info in the description is now useless unless they pay the fee. The site does do well, though.

donnal37
10/12/14

I have been on for a few months as a paying member. Only got one real response, who stood me up, and a fake response from a girl from Germany saying that she worked for The International Labor Organization and they would mail me a check for the rent and deposit before her arrival. So she is telling me she is willing to send me, a stranger, $2000, sight unseen? Also Germany withdrew from the International Labour Organization in 1935. I put up a blog about her as a present and now she is threatening me, so I contacted a couple of fraud reporting sites. I reported her to Roommates.com, I am only going to stay on a few more days to see if they take her down. And no one ever responded to any of my emails.

marys139
9/16/14

I sent messages to 33 people the website said were matches and received 2 responses and 1 from someone who was not even a match. The 1st message I ever received in my mailbox was spam which to look at I had to get a membership. I paid $19.99 and the message was fraudulent. I did not receive any messages for days so I emailed customer service asking why the response rate was so low and never got a response. This was the biggest waste of my time, money and efforts. I feel taken advantage of and I am extremely disappointed by this website, extremely.

marcusm35
9/1/14

Same as every other review on here. Went through the whole process of setting up an account, got an email the next day which I wasn't allowed to read. I thought about sending this person an email explaining that I'm not a paid member but I assumed they were not either so just didn't bother. And why is it so expensive? Six bucks for a three day trial? I'd rather be spammed with ads than pay for something I'll only use once. Such a waste of time.

Protip: If you're going to set up an online business that charges a subscription fee, you really ought to mention that before making people create pointless accounts, otherwise you're just gonna piss off a lot of people and ruin your business.

Tip for consumers: Try a free site first.

chrisa77
8/26/14

I agree. Roommates.com is a huge waste of time and money. I was looking to rent a room in NYC. After upgrading for the 1 month unlimited access, I sent out about 40 inquires. Of the 10 or so that actually replied, 9 were from scam artists. The tenth I'm not sure that he was or not. The site does alert you about scammers. Basically everyone that replied to me, I received a message from the administrators that the user was a fraud and suppressed. Complete waste of time and money. I don't mind paying to upgrade if I'm going to get what I need. With this site it's not worth it. I believe almost 90% of the profiles are scammers. Zero stars.

Tip for consumers: Don't waste your money.

kimj29
7/23/14

All the emails I got was fake, I tried Dream-mate.com and found a great room. You get to speak to a live person and they give you landlord information the same day. I moved in the next day. Roommates.com is a SCAM

earll7
4/27/14

Spent the 20 bucks, received ZERO emails for my posting or replies to emails i sent. within days after my upgraded account running out, I started receiving emails. TOTAL SCAM. Sorry roommates.com, but that's oldschool dating site scammery from the 90's and easily recognizable. immediately deactivated account, only to find now i cannot delete my account. Certainly so that the website can use it to scam others, which is yet another dating site scam from 2 years ago. What a total fraud site. Stay away. Far away.

davids214
3/21/14

I had to cancel my listing once I realized what they were doing. Here was my comment to them: There is no functionality except to see a match or listing but only basic information without upgrading. There is no way to communicate with prospects without upgrading. In fact there is really nothing useful that can be done without upgrading. Why do you allow people to even post for free. I was VERY dissatisfied and your service is useless to me and I found it underhanded and misleading. If you had just said that this is NOT a free service up front, it would have at least been honest. I will be using another service and posting my experience regarding Roommates.com.

charlottem7
1/31/14

My experience has been pretty much the same as all of the others. No legitimate emails. I had a couple that were so clearly fraud with misspelled words and very poor English. The sender claimed to live in my city but from the statements they made it was obvious she had never even been here. If this was an email that they let through what must the others that they stopped be like? Terrible!

ronb28
12/10/13

dido. the same thing happened with me. No one answers e mail. you only get the same matches over and over again..(((this is a scam. They collect money and then use the same fishing profiles over and over that are not even real. I did not receive one call back from any of the profiles since they are old or never existed. Do NOT use this site.)))))) SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY

roxannes1
11/18/13

scotta14
8/4/13

I came on site jabber to do the review for roomster.com - because it absolutely sucked with 1 fake lead and tries to auto-renew your membership, while roommates.com actually gave me real leads and got me a room.

So after reviewing roomster.com with 1/5, I decided to take a look here, and surprise, 1/5 also!

From my view roommates.com worked, so it deserves at least a 3/5.
Since the sites needs to make money, it's totally understandable to charge people for its service. Now, if only it allowed FREE members to read messages sent by PAID members, I'd give it a 5/5. I'd imagine it will drastically improve chances of a good match, and not as many messages sent with no reply.

marlab
7/17/13

Such a scam. I paid the inital $3 fee to have a 3 day trial and I just realized, two months later that they were charging me $30 a month to have my account active. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ROOMMATES.COM. I found my roommate on craigslist and she is totally normal.

michellej12
7/16/13

This website sucks!!!! I am sorry for setting up an account, what a waste of time- I can't set my preference to narrow my search and then to have to upgrade just to figure what area of phoenix these listings are located. I will blog about my experience through Roommates.com not a very easy or rewarding experience this has been for me. I am more frustrated then ever wasting my time with this ridiculous site. I will spend more time validating through rating blogs about you ROOMMATE.COM good luck with your business, I would rather go through craigslist then to pay roommate.com who trick viewers to setup an account only to request payment for capabilities to view information on available roommate ads from the start of creating an account. Roommate doesn't operate business on integrity or for the interest of internet prospectors.

al11631
5/22/13

Utter waste of time and money. Thankfully, I only lost $20.00. Nothing worth paying for on this site. The free sites gave me more choices, matches and information. I knew better, but still fell for the "pay" to view more info on my matches ploy!

lating
2/26/13

I needed a place, I used Roommates.com paid membership about 8-9 years ago and I found a great roommate. Now I had a place to rent and I posted an ad on roommates.com. I mostly got emails that had been "flagged by their fraud department". They don't show you the content of those emails, just tell you the message was removed. Emails I sent to prospective roommates never got answered. (Now I know why, but more on that later!). I decided to upgrade my membership. I did get a couple of messages, but not enough to justify the paid membership; and I still was getting "flagged" messages often. I also sent several emails to possible "matches" but all those emails went unanswered. Once my paid membership ended I decided not to renew, but kept the free ad running just in case. I did get a few "flagged" emails and a couple of what appears to be legit emails, but it turns out "I can't read them unless I pay for membership". What a bunch of BS!!! Now I know the reason why all those e-mails I sent to prospective roommates were never answered, most of them didn't have the paid membership. I get that some of the "premium" features should only available to those who pay, but the ability to read/respond to emails should not be one of them. It seems now this site is just a scam with made up profiles to make it look bigger than it is. It used to be a good service, but that's no longer the case. 8-9 years later you think the web site would have been upgraded, but it looks just as it did then.

savions
1/17/13

As the rating says: "Doesn't get any worse than this. Stay away!". I have been now for days trying to get a refund issued back to my card for a 60 day subscription to their service and they keep on trying to up-sell me...
I've told them many times, but they just don't listen.

Don't waste your time AND MONEY on this site. Now... I want my refund!

crystalm6
7/22/12

This site is total garbage! most of the emails I ever got were blocked from the site as being detected as fraud...which is all well and good, except I was still nearly scammed. I sent out numerous emails and only got 1 response. As I read the other reviews I can see I am not the only one. I only wish I had read these prior to wasting the 29.99 I didn't have to waste in the first place. And now I just caaan't waaait for Matt from roommates to respond with his useless comment on my post. oh look at that I have a "match" in my email. I can't wait to not read it because I refuse to be defrauded again.

clayz
6/26/12

This is the only roommate website I've encountered where I regularly get scammer emails. In fact, the vast majority of my emails have been from scammers in one case from the same one twice after it changed its user name after having been detected. On two occasions after my premium membership expired and I paid the fee again so I could read my email, I checked my email and guess what? Scammers. I really think that in a case such as this some consideration should be given to those who've paid the fee just so they can read their email only to find that it was suppressed by the Fraud Department. This strikes me as highly suspicious. I wouldn't recommend this site to anyone.

patd8
5/16/12

scam artist has found the perfect breeding ground for committing fraud. roommates.com is sitting by while honest members are being robbed blindly.
I was robbed of $2500.00 and there is nothing I can do about it except to warn unsuspecting people of the scam.

scammed

joanq
4/22/12

The rep from the site said it's free to view and email potential roommates. Untrue. If you've signed on as a freebe, you MUST upgrade to a paid account to view any email sent to you by other members who have attempted to send you emails. My suspicion is that staffers are actually sending emails because the email I received dated 4/20/12 stated in the subject line: "We're a perfect match." Hello? I don't think so.

Buyer beware!

davidt36
4/9/12

ended up sharing a home with a CRAZY LADY FROM TIERRASANTA IN SAN DIEGO, CA who accused me of stealing something ridiculous which i did not. this lady needs to be reported or YELPED on. I want to WARN OTHERS about her. Found her on "ROOMMATES.COM" Please all ROOMMATES.COM PEOPLE -- PLEASE YELP ABOUT YOUR BAD EXPERIENCES SO YOU CAN PROTECT OTHERS FROM BEING EXPLOITED. THANK YOU

wesh4
8/31/11

As with the other reviews, I can verify everything that they've said is true. As a paying member, you are subjected to scams. When you turn these scammers in, nothing is done to remove them from the site. Other non-paying members can not view your profile or read your e-mails. If you send an e-mail to complain about the lack of customer service, you will get a rude response telling you to just discontinue use of their service. They will not offer you a refund. They are a waste of money. Don't bother.

marcs2
1/27/11

My complaint about this site is similar to Stef P.'s. When I pay money, I expect to receive ALL the information I need to decide who to contact and who not to contact. Roommates.com does not let paid members know the identity of other paid members. What that means is that they expect me to email many people who will not be able to read my emails without paying to unlock their inbox.

The company's goal is to have you pay them in order to give you the ability to waste your time trying to get other people to pay them with very little potential benefit to you.

laurab6
9/24/10

Awful! The only messages I received were from scammers and whacky people who didn't even come close to fitting my criteria. I tried Craigslist and found a great roommate in a week.

missyq
8/27/10

This site is a huge waste of time and money. You can create a profile for free, but you are completely unable to use the site for finding a roommate without paying for a subscription fee. Unfortunately, most people do not pay for a subscription fee, so your emails to roommate matches will go unanswered. The only response I ever got was from a scammer.

Their profile system is horrible too--you cannot select gender without also selecting a sexual orientation, and the only options you have are straight male/female or gay male/female. I'm sorry, but not everybody can be compartmentalized like that and I had to misrepresent myself just to create a profile--not something I want to do when I'm looking for somebody to share a living space with me.

In short, don't waste your time or money with this useless site. Use Craigslist if you actually want to find a roommate.

meganmazyh
6/24/10

I was a little confused on the first posting, so here goes. My first experience with Roommates.com was excellent. My first roommate was very decent and there weren't any problems. He simply got married, so I listed my profile, yet again. This man sent me emails and we first corresponded and then he wanted my phone number, which I felt was safe. He began to call me two and three times a day, asking me numerous questions about my political beliefs, etc. He was very pushy and wanted my address, but I felt a neutral place of meeting was safer. We met for dinner and just seemed odd. All along he had told me, he could afford the rental room. I decided to show him the room and once inside the house he tried to kiss me and he made it very clear that he wanted sex. I threatened to call the police and he left. Also, I received a phone call and I caught him trying to turn on my computer. I immediately sent an email to Roommates.com and I reported him to Roommates.com. After all of this, he was still listed. I couldn't believe it. Now, I will only deal with the newspapers. I feel it is safer.

huyth
5/29/10

I too was highly disappointed by this site. I was paid member and only response I got was from a scammer. I tried lot to find a room mate on this for a month and ultimately gave up. Nobody can wait whole life to get an accommodation. Totally useless site. Don't waste your money, time and effort on this site.

6 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Roommates.com staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
8/26/15
Add your answer
8/10/15
Answer
bhj
A: As the others have said, the roommates.com company tries it's best to monitor their site. They are responsive to complaints/problems. The basic "untruth" is that you can find a match even if neither person pays. I have yet to find a way to sneak a personal email address into the info that is available for free. At least one person has to pay. I have received and replied to many emails; giving the person a personal email address. I have gotten very few replies. I have had no overt contact with scammers or loonies but I have received emails from people who live 40 miles from my requested area. Their power match feature is not helpful because it only lists maximum rent. So I'm constantly being sent matches from people who want to pay way too little money. I'm looking for a roommate using the most classic definition of the word. 2 people look for a place, sign a lease together, and share everything 50/50. What this site mainly has are room rentals. Often furnished room rentals. (Which brings up another question, what kind of person, aged 40-70, has nothing but clothes? No other possessions?) I've been renting a room, living in someone else's house for almost 2 years. And I'm so over it.
8/11/15