US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jakec27

So how then did I manage to obtain a gift certificate with the restaurant's name and logo? (in 54 reviews)

richardd51

Why is it that some of these internet sites no longer provide a customer service number to talk to a live person? (in 30 reviews)

pc1

As an example we used one yesterday that was a $25 gift card for $2. (in 28 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

waltere1
12/17/14

I purchased 2 gift cards from "restaurant.com" on Dec. 24,2013, one for my sister and family, and one for my brother and family. They were $100 gift cards for $40. I asked my siblings to let me know how it went, because I wanted to know if these would work. They mentioned nothing for a year, and finally I asked my sister what happened. She said that both tried to redeem them and couldn't. She said she tried 3 major cities in the Iowa-Minnesota area, and they couldn't find a restaurant that would take them. I've sent an email to them 2 days ago, a year later now, (12/15/14) and have not heard from them yet. After reading the reviews on SiteJabber, I would love, but don't expect a refund. It sure appears that this site is a scam for the unknowing person. I would not ever use their services again.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it. Give cash.

debt5
12/17/14

follow up to review by Cass R. (on specials @ restaurant.com offering the Hotelandresortcard.com discounted e-gift certificates ($40.00 for $400.00 worth of e-gifts)

Hey wish I had read your review before I bought. It gets worse for me... I stupidly booked a hotel room thru them & they immediately charged my cc. I read & looked at the fine print on the page of my confirmation and it said it could be cancelled within 72 hours. I cancelled and after a few days my credit came thru on the cc BUT minus $25.00. Contacted HotelandResortCard & they referred me to their terms which said may charge a $25.00 fee. You would have thought that it would have been spelled out on the booking page wouldn't you. I too have requested a refund from specials @ restaurant.com but haven't heard back. So it looks like I may be out of $65.00!! BTW, I was suppose to receive a $30 credit on booking by their standards but only received a discount of $18.72! HRAC indicated that the hotel charged the fee, I called & they looked @ my cancellation and said they did not charge a fee~ Totally bummed...

UPDATE: Since posting this morning regarding my experiences. I have had responses from someone at HotelandResortCard and another email from their supervisor indicating that they would be refunding the $25.00 fee in 4-6 weeks.

I wanted to update this site to let all know that they were willing to listen to problems/complaints and deserve a kutos in doing so. I appreciate their efforts in making me a satisified customer.

Tip for consumers: Rely on your gut feeling...it's 99.9999999% right most of the time.

pattyl8
12/11/14

If I could give a -1 I would. I have been a member for a few years and due to travel, family obligations and other events have not been able to use certificates before they expire. I have so many times to exchange certificates and am so frustrated to constantly encounter "out of stock" notices. I have even logged on the day when a certificate has allegedly been restocked and none available...what kind of bate and switch company is this? this company sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: do not bother..... Few offerings and constant "out of stock " or dishonored deals. I am sorry I ever signed up.

bedfords6
12/8/14

I bought a certificate for a local Chinese restaurant this afternoon. I printed the certificate and went to the restaurant immediately. There was a sign on the door: "We do not accept Restaurant.com certificates." I spoke with the cashier who said that they had vever authorized Restaurant.com to offer certificates. Looks like a scam to me.

Tip for consumers: Do not buy anything from Restaurant.com.

karenr47
12/8/14

My daughter purchased two expensive "orchestra" seats for a theatre show for my birthday. Tickets never arrived and then they said they would leave in will call despite their notice "no will call". Seemed shady at that point too. But the CSR just said we will have them for you at will call no problem..if you have any problems, please call this number. When we arrived at "will call" the tickets were not available. Happy Birthday!! Wow you are sorry people for running a business like this. I hope TUTS cancels you from purchasing any ticket blocks of seats. This was sold under Specials@Restaturant.com in Houston.
BTW...Hobby Center - TUTS was Awesome and we were accommodated. Can't say enough good about their CSR's.

Tip for consumers: BEWARE!! Don't purchase seats for theatre shows either. They are a very poor company, and do not send the tickets you pay for and pay extra to ship them to you.

cassr
12/5/14

Bought "$40 for a $400 Hotel and Resort eGift Card Featuring Hilton Hotels World Wide" from specials.restaurant.com.
When I tried using this gift card at hotelandresortcard.com to book my $400 hotel, they were charging for $45 from my gift card and rest all i have to pay from my credit card. It was feeling like being fooled and send email to restaurant.com to take gift card back and return my money.
They said they cant give my money back instead they give another gift card.

Big scam run by Special.restaurant.com and hotelandresortcard.com, I lost my $40.

Tip for consumers: Read offer details, terms and condition, e.t.c..
Stay away from business who are not willing to refund your money.

jayn64
12/5/14

Restaurant.com has NO customer service! I had two restaurant certificates that I tried to exchange and the credit appeared then disappeared bevore I cpuld exchange them for another restaurant and they are nowhere to be found. Basically the site stole $35.00 from
Me and I cannot get any help. I have sent numerous emails and I rceive the same automated response telling me how to redeen exchamges. i already k ow now to redeem exchanges but they do no ho or their end. They stole my mo ey and have no i tention of refunding me. I will never purchase from this so called company again.

herby1
12/1/14

Stay away from Restaurant.com. I had purchased $500 worth of gift codes. Restaurant.com invalidated all my gift codes and are showing "There is no credit remaining on the gift code you entered". Because I have had these saved for over two years they deemed that I didn't need them any more. This company will intentionally steal your money. Don't walk away, run away from Restaurant.com. Bottom line is that if you trust strangers with your credit card then go ahead and use this company, because they will steal from you.

Tip for consumers: Dishonest company, they will void all you gift codes making then useless

pr1726
11/30/14

This is legally not a scam but it is worthless. I purchased certificates to cash my expiring frequent flyer mileage. That was almost two years ago. I used only one of the certificates so far. Even though I had numerous certificates for the same restaurant they accepted only one per table even on a high bill. The number of the participating restaurants is very low and many of them discontinued the relationship with Restaurant.com. I received emails to change the affected certificates but I was unable to do so because I did not find any restaurant I liked close by.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this!

aaronf23
11/25/14

Where are the negative stars? STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM!!!!!!!!!

This all started on Oct 1st 2014 when I moved to a new home 80 miles away from my old stomping grounds. At this point in time I logged into my restaurant.com account and attempted to exchange the certificates for restuarants in my old neighborhood with ones in the new area I am living in. After several failed attempts to exchange certificates following the procedures outlined on restuarant.com's help section I chalked it up to the website having a glitch. A week later I came back to try again, still no luck, two weeks later, three weeks later still no luck. So november rolls around I try a couple more times off and on and still nothing. So I utilize the help contact on the restaurant.com website, explain my situation in detail on 11.24.2014, hilghlighting the fact that I had followed the instructions on how to exchange a certificate multiple times and that it was not working. Shortly after I sent the help request I was sent a reply by somebody named Ashley Lanham, the reply was nothing but a carbon copy of the istructions posted on the website on how to exchange certificates. The very same instructions I had followed and had informed the company that I had followed them in an attempt to exchange. I responded to Ashley Lanham on 11.24.2014 explaining all this again and never received anything further. On 11.25.2014 I sent another email to restaurant.com stating everything that had already happened and that the exchange function was not working, I took the time to highlight the fact that I had already tried this multiple times and that it still was not working and even attatched the previous emails. They responded on 11.25.2014 with nothing other than the instructions posted on their site for exchanging certificates. So I logged onto the BBB and found their phone number and contacted them by phone on 11.25.2014 and spoke to a person who called himself Raul. I explained to Raul that I wanted a refund and I was tired of the games his company was playing, I informed him that I needed to speak to a supervisor. Raul told me that his supervisor was not in and that they had a no refund policy, but I should feel free to utilize the website to exchange the certificates. I then told Raul that I did not believe that a business would be in operation with no supervisor, and that I wanted to speak to a supervisor, the boss or the owner of the company as I was certain that he was not the end all be all of company decisions. I was placed on hold. Raul came back on and stated his boss was in a meeting, I then asked Raul why he had told me that there was no supervisor there and then immediately changed it to my boss is in a meeting. He responded with " you never asked for a supervisor, you just told me you wanted to talk to my boss or the owner." Good job Raul, you fail at customer serivce by the way. Raul also refused to provide me with a direct link to a supervisor, said he did not have a phone number, and there was no way for me to speak with them. Raul would also not provide a name of a supervisor. Put on hold again. Raul then informed me that he had talked to his boss and they were waiting to hear from me. I then asked him to transfer me, he said no and that I should email them at myboss@resaurant.com. He said again they were waiting for me to contact them, I said ok transfer me then to their phone. At this point in time Raul was kind enough to transfer me to an extension with a pre recorded message stating that restaurant.com was closed and to call back during normal business hours. Strange since I called them during there normal business hours.

Your Desired Resolution:
In my eyes there is nothing this company can do to make this right other that refund me 100%. I have no desire to deal with this company any more as they possess absolutely no customer service skills at all. They blindly relpy to help emails obviously not reading anything their customers are writing. Their customer support phone line operators, in my first hand experience are nothing more than liars and game players. To me this business is now nothing more than a way to scam people out of their hard earned money. Right now my opinion is that they are thieves, and they have stolen from me as they took money for a service they are now not willing to honor.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE RESTAURANT.COM!!!!!

emilyh26
11/16/14

I run a small restaurant in MD, our business recently started getting certificates from this site, after checking online I see that our business is up on their site and they are selling gift certificates without our authorization. We are attempting to contact them but no response as of yet.

jamest81
11/13/14

I wish I had read those online reviews before getting 3 certificates from a reward program. I had no problems using the first $10 cert at a Shabu-Shabu restaurant after calling first to confirm they do accept the cert. The next $15 cert cannot be used since that Mexican restaurant changed the management and was closed. The 3rd one was a $25 cert at a Japanese restaurant and the restaurant had confirmed they would honor the certificate before I brought my guests there. However, after the meal of $55, they told me this certificate has become invalid since the day it was issued. I tried to call the 800 number, but they don't have a live person to take your call or a msg box to take your msg. I then wrote an email to Restaurant.com and there has been no response. This business model cannot and should not succeed without a major overhaul. It's unlikely that I will use them again based on my poor experience.

timothyp15
11/11/14

"I would never trust restaurant.com again. I tried two restaurants on here, Beijing and Tokyo and Alan's of Boscawen restaurant. Both restaurants did not honor this restaurant.com certificate!! Buyer beware!"

stevem142
10/31/14

The complete lack of any customer service and the website's constant failure to hold information makes this the worst possible way to spend you time or money.

The certificate I got for $100 was deleted at least 6 times and I have only been able to use it once.

RUN! RUN!! RUN AWAY!!!!

Tip for consumers: RUN! RUN!! RUN AWAY!!!!

jakec27
10/24/14

Don't bother. Consistently when I have attempted to use a certificate, the restaurant states they no longer accept them.

I think both restaurant owners and restaurant.com are equally at blame here.

richardd51
10/23/14

Why is it that some of these internet sites no longer provide a customer service number to talk to a live person? I have an issue with a prepaid gift card and it takes days to hear back from them (if at all). Their service has deteriorated and while in the past had no issues, I would currently be hard pressed to by another voucher from them.

joes442
10/16/14

Ordered tickets to pippin. And was til on phone the seats were 'premium balcony'. I asked what that meant and the cust.svc rep said "first three rows of balcony". (this was a couple months ago when they used to take xalls, Which they no longer do). The tickets were mailed to me and finally arrived showed 10 days before our performance date. They were 2nd to last row in balcony. I wouldn't have purchased had I known that.

After sending several emails explainimg and letting them know we won't be using the tickets and asking for credit, I have not received any responses.

I am done w restaurant.com

Tip for consumers: Terrible customer svc. They mislead. Stay away.

glennt12
10/11/14

Real good savings if you can actually redeem. The issue is that a lot of the coupons go expired quickly and sometimes the restaurants won't take them during peak hours. you need to ask them prior to arriving if they accept. if you can use the coupon, then use this all the time because the savings are amazing.

kellyt20
10/4/14

Technical difficulties made it difficult to even get started. Then customer service only got worse. I have requested a refund from Living social. Beware, do not purchase big time scam and horrible customer service.

Three times now I have tried and entered the number from living social, three times the credit showed up but then disappeared when I would try to check out the shopping cart. I am sorely disappointed in the website functionality and the poor representation for customer service. Clearly you did not read nor respond to the concerns that I expressed. I will be requesting a refund from Living social and leaving reviews every where I can find so that others may be warned about your garbage business practices.
Kelly

jayh34
10/3/14

I purchased a R.Com for a semi local joint. Drove ten miles only to find out the place had been out of business for 4 months. E-mailed them and was credited my 15.00 towards a separate voucher, wouldn't just add it back to my original and they cannot be combined now. Also let them know 4 months ago this place was closed but yet they still continue to sell them. Also after doing the math, you are basically paying ie.. 15.00 to spend 30.00 and get half off.. seems to me you are still paying full price and may be buying more than you want to meet the minimum.. Neat little scam trying to ride Groupons tails, who is a legit way to dine out at a discounted price/

Tip for consumers: DON'Y

path47
10/3/14

Really bad customer service. The site gives you an option to exchange gift cards, however my credit for those cards are no where to be found. No response from Restaurant.com customer service. Save your monies and go through Groupon.

Tip for consumers: Use Groupon or Entertainment books. Using this company is seriously like throwing money out the window. If you have an issue with your certificate, oh well, no help from customer service.

gregf18
9/30/14

LIGHTING YOUR MONEY ON FIRE AND WATCHING IT BURN IS A BETTER VALUE

Redeemed 500 miles for a 25 dollar certificate code I cannot redeem because restaurant.com says the code is invalid. Neither they or United offer any customer support in this matter, but at least United allows you to contact them. Restaurant.com is a complete joke. F☆☆K YOU GUYS!

Tip for consumers: Don't.

chuckw9
9/28/14

"Won" $125 in restaurant.com gift cards bidding on them on the Verizon Smart rewards program, when I received them I signed up (made an account) on restaurant.com, then entered my gift card numbers and the money disappeared, it said I had $25 credit on account when I entered that card, then said I had $100 on account when I entered that card??? I thought 25 + 100 = 125 ??? Then I tried to purchase some coupons for a local restaurant and they asked for a credit card!!! Where did the $125 go???

Tip for consumers: VZW Smart rewards users, DO NOT BID ON RESTAURANT.COM GIFT CARDS>>> AVOID RESTAURANT>COM

sharonw28
9/27/14

I purchased a coupon for Mexican food in my city and when I went to the restaurant there was a sign on the door stating they no longer accept Restaurant.com coupons. I contacted Restaurant.com on their email link twice and I'm still waiting......this was a rip-off for me.

Tip for consumers: FORGET IT! THEY'LL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN!

mariet20
9/24/14

I had a restaurant.com gift certificate for $25 off a meal at a nearby restaurant. When I tried to use it they waitress said the 800 number they call show it had already been used. And, the date they showed it used was before the date it was even purchased! I called the 800 number myself and that is what it says when you enter the certificate number. It was so embarrassing!! It was an upscale restaurant and the waitress seemed upset for me. I had to pay over $77 for our meal! The restaurant said that's why they don't participate with restaurant.com anymore; too many problems. I then tried to call restaurant.com and there is no way to get a phone number!! The validation line is only a recording/computer setup and the restaurant.com website only allows you to email a complaint. I have emailed them 3 times over the past 3+ weeks and have not received a single reply. Through some seriously intense digging, I finally found a phone number to call. After over 30 minutes on hold waiting, I talked to someone named "George". He said the certificate was good (making me wrong or a liar) and didn't know why I had a problem. I explained that the restaurant and I both called (total of 3 calls) and each call said the same thing. He offered another certificate, but all their locations within 10 miles of me are take out or "similar to fast food" (no decent sit-down places at all). Because they are cheap places they only offer $5 or $10 gift certificates. That means I would have to go their 3-5 times to use up my $25! And drive 20 miles each time to boot!! I asked for my money back, but of course he said no. George offered no other remedies or solutions; just very quick short repetitive (and meaningless) "I'm sorry's"; making you feel like a number. Which I guess that's what you are to them!! I plan to post this complaint everywhere I can find a place too so people dont buy their phony certificates!!

Tip for consumers: Don't waste your time or money or time!! Any company that goes to such great lengths to hide their phone number deffinitely has something to hide!! Too many complaints to handle??

kathyg27
9/20/14

Love Restaurant.Com! Only have one problem in several years, and it was resolved almost immediately! I don't like that they now don't have an 800 number to call because I would like to know where my credits have gone when I've exchanged a greater amount certificate for a lesser amount certificate. I don't quite understand how to access their new website. Can anyone help me?

lesm12
9/19/14

I have used the vouchers for several sucessfully. In the past year I have had nothing but trouble trying to use vouchers that the restaurant won't take. Not only that but the company conveniently removed their 800 # from the site. My guess is that were bombarded with complaints. I'm through using this.site.

philipm48
9/15/14

The vouchers I purchased were supposed to not expire. However, many restaurants have stopped honoring them. When I exchanged them on the restaurant.com site, I received credits; however when I tried to redeem them for vouchers to new restaurants, the credits disappeared. To add true insult to injury, they have absolutely no telephone access. The only way to get any redress is to complain on review sites such as this.

Tip for consumers: Don't.

kimd29
9/14/14

Scam! I bought 3 coupons for my favorite restaurant but when I tried to use the first one, I was told that the restaurant never authorized restaurant.com to issue these certificates. How embarrassing! Now I am out the amount I paid for the 3 coupons.

markg82
9/10/14

I received a $100 gift certificate over a year ago and have never used it. The restrictions are totally confining. Many restaurants won't accept it for various reasons. What a waste of money and time. The only restaurants that subscribe to this scam are the ones that have little or no patrons. SAVE YOUR MONEY DON'T buy anything from this outfit NOT WORTH IT. If they had a minus star rating I would use a MINUS 5!

Tip for consumers: Save your time and money it's a total rip off.. Groupon or others are more honest.

alexr58
9/8/14

Good lord, what a disaster. Ended up paying full price for my meal, after a long and embarrassing attempt to redeem a gift certificate. Not the restaurant's fault; they showed me exactly what they were trying to do. This was restaurant.com's fault. I have not been able to use the gift certificate and I'd rather throw the money away than try again. Stay away!

Tip for consumers: RUN

danv4
9/5/14

What a rip off!!! Getting a refund is as bad as pulling teeth. I am not surprised that Restaurant.com has had class action lawsuits filed against them. I have dealt with restaurant's who refuse to honor the vouchers, have gone out of business and have poor attitudes when presented with the vouchers. Restaurant.com will not return emails and makes it impossible to get a refund. I would encourage everyone to stay away from this "BAIT & SWITCH" company!!!

anonymousj3
9/4/14

HONESTLY I LIKE THIS COMPANY, I FEEL LIKE A LOT OF YOU PEOPLE REALLY DO NOT KNOW HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS.. IT IS DESIGNED TO GIVE DISCOUNTS ON A MEAL FOR CERTAIN RESTAURANTS. NOT TO PAY FOR THE ENTIRE MEAL... I DISLIKE THE NEW SITE, BUT I WAS ABLE TO LOCATE MY GIFT CARDS UNDER MY ORDERS.. NOTHING NEVER DISAPPEARS.. SO TRY IT IT MAY HELP

patriciaj11
9/3/14

Don't EVER purchase tickets for shows through Restaurant.com. I tried for over a week to get my tickets and never received them and now I am out $238. They showed me a copy of an email they sent me with the tickets, but I still never received and was promised a phone call to confirm that I received them. Poor customer service and when you try calling them, all you get is all of our agents are busy, try back later..

Tip for consumers: You often can't reach customer service because they are so busy dealing with complaints, a message comes on and says, try back later!

joep123
9/1/14

This site has become almost a scam recently. I have been a member for years, and lately any desirable places may be listed, but are always "out of stock" even on the first day of each month. They have lost credits on my account, they revised the customer account area and deleted some certificates I had that had been disavowed by the restaurant. Certificates are nothing more than discount coupons you have to buy. Common is a "$50 gift certificate" for a local sushi place that requires a $100 minimum purchase. That same place offers similar deals on their own for no charge - i.e. just a big discount for large purchases if you agree to tip 20%. Why pay the fee for such a "coupon"?

Tip for consumers: Many of the places are business that offer similar deals on their own, so be cautious when getting an offer.

margaretv10
8/27/14

We tried to use the $50 off coupon only to find out you had to spend $100 to get $50 off when we tried to redeem it. Look at the fine print and don't take them at face value. Total regret! This is too good to be true and I consider it a scam

vieshiaw
8/24/14

EVERY RESTAURANT ON THE SITE HAS A MINIMUM PURCHASE REQUIREMENT AT LEAST HALF THE VALUE OF THE GIFT CERTIFICATE ITSELF - FOR EACH CERTIFICATE (YOU FIND "THAT" OUT WHEN YOU GET TO THE RESTAURANT). These people should be called out on their bull because they are selling half off coupons! There is no deal. There are no discounts! You pay something like $10 for a $20 gift card at restaurant.com, but the restaurant has a $50 minimum purchase requirement. So you pay $10 + for $20 certificate but have to spend an extra $30 on food (not including tips or taxes) once you get to the restaurant you will actually find that you saved nothing more than pocket lint and pennies while restaurant.com gets away with your money! Money that you could have taken directly to the restaurant without the greedy little
man in the middle. Furthermore, most of the restaurants that they advertise DON'T EVEN ACCEPT their gift certificates anyway - which screws you out of even more money. And oh... NO REFUNDS, but you are sure welcome to exchange your so-called certificate from the first place that didn't take it for a new one at the next place that will likely refuse it too. If you want coupons to dine out, join mailing lists, facebook fan pages, rewards clubs, etc... I'm sure the small businesses that these crooks claim to support will gladly send you occasional savings as a token of appreciation for your patronage. Also, buy a Sunday paper where you get a crapload of coupons PLUS the news for a buck and change. However... DO NOT GIVE restaurant.com ANY OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!

michellew43
8/24/14

I can't use this site via mobile or on their website. It isn't allowing me to access "deals near me" nor "deals by zip". It will allow me to view deals by city but the closest city I can choose from is st. Louis and I'm 30 miles+ from most of them. I have used "deals near me" and "deals by zip" options before so I KNOW that there are restaurants in my area. So frustrated because I have $30 in gift cards I have wanted to use for the last week and I can't! !!!!

saraw23
8/4/14

I was scammed today!!!! I had $205 in gift ecards from exchanging. I had that amount for months. There were no restaurants which I wanted to go to so I could use them.
I received two emails from RDC stating that the restaurants no longer would honor RDC's certificates. I exchanged 13 certificates last night to ecards. I checked my balance last night, and it was still $205. This morning, it should have been $330! The new exchanges were there, but I had lost $100 of my old ecards!!! SCAM!!!! Don't ever trust this company!! SCAM ARTISTS!!! I spoke with two reps, and they told me that I was mistaken and that it was correct. No one cared that I had been beat out of $100!
I am still fuming!!! I will never spend another red cent there!!! Please tell others!!!!

terryw36
8/1/14

I have used Restaurant.com for a few years now and I have 'never' had a problem redeeming their certificates! A lot of the negative reviews listed on this site I believe, falls on the restaurant being visited and not on restaurant.com. How RC be held responsible for restaurants pulling out of the program or making up changes to how or when they will accept the certs? Some of the other complaints seem to be about RC not making updates quick enough, yet it's hard to tell who is telling the truth. As someone else suggested, call the restaurant to verify they accept the certs before buying them. If you still have a problem log back into RC and redeem them for another participating restaurant. I just did that today for certs I originally purchased back in 2010 with no problem. I think it is a great program for us consumers. I don't know how it works for restaurants.

timk27
7/31/14

I have purchased several and never had a problem. I feel bad for all the people who felt they got screwed but many did not read the fine print, so they screwed themselves. For those where the restaurant refused to accept them, that is another issue.

mattw30
7/23/14

Restaurants.com is a complete fraud. I was given four $25.00 gift certificates. First off, none of the participating restaurants are less than 15 miles from where I live. My daughter and I took one of the certificates to a taco shop, counter service no waiters. They charged us a mandatory 18% gratuity even though we placed out order at the counter and carried it to the table ourselves. Then the $25.00 did not include tax. By the time they added the tax and the mandatory tip I paid more than $25.00 for some second rate tacos. I threw the other three gift certificates out. Never do business with the place, it is nothing but a scam.

johnm329
7/17/14

Within minutes of placing my order with Restaurant.com for a Special Wine purchase, my AmEx card was billed, even before I received the "Certificate" from Restaurant.com; upon attempting to redeem my purchase, the site indicated the certificate number no longer applied; then my efforts resulted in being informed I was being charged additional money, shipping and tax, for the purchase when Restaurant.com did not mention the additional costs; I immediately called and was told "NO REFUND IS EVEN GIVEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES; YOU WILL RECEIVE A CREDIT ONLY TO YOUR ACCOUNT WITH RESTAURANT.COM.

I ask: Would anyone ever want to do business with a nationally-recognized name knowing they will NEVER issue a credit to you under any circumstance? This man thinks not. I suggest: Stay away from Restaurant.com UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. What they did to me was grossly unfair; deliberately misrepresenting in not issuing an immediate refund.

lisac62
7/15/14

They scammed me too. I thought this would be a gift certificate and after I purchased it I found out that it is coupons off of meals, and you can only use one coupon per visit.

kalam3
7/11/14

So bought 2 $25 dollar gift certificates for 8 bucks total. only to find out that it was just 25 dollars off of 40. so in the end i ended spending more then what i planned on spendig. it did not tell me this untill AFTER i had bought them.

andrewt40
7/9/14

Complete scam!!! I purchased a bunch of restaurant gift certificates from this site that claim to never expire. However, apparently all of these restaurants have the right to refuse the use of these gift certificates. So why would they ever accept them then, right? So I unfortunately got totally ripped off and I am hoping this review will help prevent other folks from suffering from this complete scam this site has going on.

roxannep2
6/27/14

Tried to use the certificate and was told that it didn't apply to steak or fish. That was not mentioned anywhere on the certificate. They also didn't accept the certificate on my phone- I had to have it printed out. That may have been my fault. I'm not sure. This was my first time trying to use these certificates so we'll see what happens with the others that I bought but I'm not very hopeful.

as1690
6/20/14

Can I rate 0? This site is full of scams and traps. So I bought a 25$ coupon and gifted one to my friend(my biggest fault). I asked restaurant owner to deliver food at my home and he refused to accept the gift card. He started to give excuses and asked me to use the coupon by coming for dinning or take out. This was bizzare. I called restaurant.com customer service and they did not bother a bit about it. I think restaurant.com is one of the best service I have ever used. Not at all recommended.

latoyas
6/19/14

I don't know how I let my self get scammed like this I was so excited to get the discount I never checked the reviews, which is something I do faithfully on any and everything... Thanks alot restaurant.com you got over on me this time!!!!

faridahs
6/19/14

RESTAURANT.COM is a rip off!: I got an invitation via LifeMart, which my company provides as a team member service, to purchase discounted certificates at Restaurant.com last month. I decided to try it out, assuming that because my company sent it, it would be legitimate. I spent over an hour finally identifying 4 restaurants which suited my tastes. Part of the criteria, since I am single and dine alone, was that the minimum purchase had to be reasonable for 1 person. I selected 4 resturants with minum purchase requirements of $22.50 or less. (There were others I would have enjoyed, but the minum purchase was over $30 and there was no way I could eat that much food.) I had at that point done my homework and understood the rules. Shouldn't I have been able to assume the restaurants they sold certificates for were still in business? I guess not. Did they suggest that I check that salient fact? No, they did not.

Well, the first restaurant I attempted to visit was out of business. I called Restaurant.com. They tried to get me to simply exchange the certificate. I explained that I was not interested in any other restaurants, and that I believed that since they sold me a certificate for a business that had closed, they should refund my money. They agreed and refunded the cost of that certificate to me.

Just over a week later, I took a long drive across town and attempted to visit a second restaurant for which I had a certificate. That restaurant also had gone out of business. Being pretty frustrated, I called Restaurant.com about it.

They of course indicated that this rarely happens, but the terms and conditions state that they will do exchanges, but no refunds. I indicated that this is not the first, but the 2nd of 4 certificates they offered for purchase where the restaurant was no longer in business. They refused to make a refund. I called back and got another agent, who also refused to issue a refund. My arguements that I wasn't interested in an exchange went unheeded this time.

BOTTOM LINE: This is a ripp off from an unscrupulous company. What you see is not what you get. I suspect they have no process for removing restaurants from their site, and you have a probability of purchasing certificates that can't be redeemed. Before you buy, check to see if the restaurant you are interested in is actually still in business, and check to see if they will accept the certificate. You will otherwise be left holding the bag. This is only a good deal if you are very flexible, and open to significant trial and error. What an awful experience. How does something like this rarely happen, yet happen to me twice within the space of weeks? If it looks to good to be true, it is. Save your money. Have a good stressless full price meal rather than paying for one you won't get.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Restaurant.com staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: What happens if they are using my restaurant name with out my permission?
2/14/13
shirleyu
A: I've had mixed experiences. Though I thoroughly read the terms and conditions, my last experience was bad. After emailing and phoning restaurant.com to double-check that this specific restaurant participated in their program, I bought a certificate, only to find out after the meal that the restaurant would not accept the certificate. It turns out that the establishment's owner was in a lawsuit with restaurant.com. Not only was it embarrassing, I ended up spending unexpected extra money.

I believe that Restaurant.com should take down any restaurant with which it is legally wrangling. The consumer ends up being the one hurt. And the restaurant gets in a pickle, too. As far as I'm concerned, since I adhered to all the terms and double-checked with restaurant.com on the restaurant's participation and since they did not remove the restaurant from their site after complaints and a lawsuit began, the management at restaurant.com is at fault…especially if they refuse to reimburse my out-of-pocket meal costs (from what I've heard, that won't happen).

If I were to ever buy a certificate from them again, I'd certainly phone the restaurant beforehand. However, in my location, most of the restaurants appear to be on the low end, so that is not likely to happen. The restaurant in the lawsuit is more upscale.
11/11/10
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Restaurant.com staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?