US Government's NSF

hostmaster@ebay.com

217 Reviews for PayPal

Review Highlights

chrise5

and bank account linked, and also almost 100% approval of purchases, would that make you nervous?

courtneyg

It is 100% safe and secure and customer service is great.

skyk

While they take commissions when you receive money - they are acceptable compared with the fees my local banks charge.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

jessiem34
10/20/14

PayPal is a scam I liked PayPal when PayPal first started out but just like most business when they get too big they stop caring about their customers.

PayPal is for scammers like them a person can request money saying they didn't get their items even if you show proof of emails where a customer said they loved their item and proof the item was shipped PayPal will still give the money back to the customer and they get to keep their item and money.

tyroneh13
10/16/14

I use paypal for ebay to buy and to sell. I haven't had any problems with using paypal as payment because it protects me in that i won't get scammed out of money or something.

marialc
10/12/14

everybody on the internet knows that paypal is a bunch of pigs. they'll ban you for no reason, freeze your account for no reason, and they pride themselves over protecting customers. no protection, period.

petepr
10/12/14

I have been using PayPal for several years now and haven`t had a single issue with them. While they take commissions when you receive money - they are acceptable compared with the fees my local banks charge

robertw112
10/11/14

As a small business owner, I don't have many choices when it comes to payment processing, but paypal makes everything pretty simple. The working capital loans feature is really nice and straightforward. Wish they were a little better about chargebacks though.

joeee
10/11/14

Never again. My account has beed limitted without any reason and explanation - "security reason" heh they hold my money for 6 months !!! after 6 six months they close my account and till today i have no idea why. Be aware

kareemdh
10/9/14

nicolea8
10/8/14

At first I though paypal was a neat idea. It doesn't take long to set up and if you link your bank account it usually take a few days and you're ready to go. However some transactions you make over a few hundred dollars might suspend or freeze your account, even if you have made those transactions all the time. I feel like paypal trys to hard to be a bank but operates semi-unprofessionally.

randykg
10/7/14

I was totally unsure of the safety of using PayPal when I started several years ago ... Wow was I wrong to be concerned. This is probably the safest way and certainly the most convenient way to pay for purchases.

ernestog4
10/2/14

Transactions are not fully secured by Paypal nor by Ebay. In case of non-fulfillment of the transaction conditions, item desciption or delivery fees they don t take action for their customers, so they support irregularities and rip offs. It s way more secure to pay by VISA with an invoice than through these guys. They charge huge fees considering the low quality of the service. I will never use paypal again and will stay away from Ebay as it s became a scam page. Paypal is taking advantage of the laxity of the USA laws regarding customer protection and it s trying to impose their barely legal practices in Europe.

Tip for consumers: Avoid using Paypal as they dont protect their customers and take side for the scammers. The same for ebay.

stefk5
9/29/14

A sometimes necessary evil, but BEWARE.

Buy something on Ebay and you're stuck using paypal.

But a tenant, Perrin Tellock, of Antioch New England, studying for a Doctorate of Psycology paid me $1300 by paypal, as deposit and first month's rent, with a signed lease. Then later apparently found something better and notified paypal and accused me of wrongly taking money out of his account. Paypal seized the money and refused to return it even though I submitted plenty of proof that Tellock's claims were essentially fraud Paypal sided with him. Paypal does not look at proof even when properly submitted.

Short story: Paypal may be necessary when buying or selling on Ebay but do not expect them to look at proof if someone tries to scam you, who has paid you.

Tip for consumers: Use only when necessary for Ebay. Never, ever use this to receive money from anything you sold.

feliciar2
9/27/14

I have used Paypal many time even when I was on ebay purchasing items it is a very save way to pay for your items.There website is very safe to use I have found no problems.

Tip for consumers: PAYPAL IS GREAT

makennas
9/25/14

I use PayPal since my parents use them. I think it's a convenient way and safe way especially when purchasing online. Everyone should have their own PayPal account.

robbr1
9/21/14

After no major issues with them in the 11 years since I was a client, two bad experiences occured that make me wonder what the company is up to.

1) Rather than the typical means of paying by having to login to PayPal (PP) and confirm it, a new and unannounced feature occured through fiverr.com that led to a hassle and me losing a few bucks...after a few emails with customer service, PP reimbursed me $25 of a $35 NSF fee. It's part of the review I left for Fiverr: http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.fiverr.com#115

2) One of the main reasons for using PP is to not share one's personal information with a business. Yet in placing an order with personalcreations.com (part of ProFlowers.com), my PP billing address was transferred to them. I was able to edit the info to a fake address before submitting the order, but it was not an address in the USA and that led to a hassle about the order and me later cancelling it. Why does PP make my billing info available to a business? That story can be read here in my review of the online business: http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.personalcreations.com#7

Tip for consumers: 1) If using Fiverr, be careful about some buttons where you pay for extras as it may take your PP funds without you having to login to PP and confirm it, so make sure your preferred payment method has enough funds.

2) If a site like personalcreations gets your PP billing info, you can edit it to a fake address, though make sure it's in the USA.

coca-colad
8/28/14

Its a big news that Paypal doing fraud business and earn daily millions in illegal ways
PayPal also protect to Fraud

Tip for consumers: stop to use the Paypal services

johns735
8/14/14

Pretty good e-commerce site, but I really think users should be allowed to re-open their previously closed accounts, especially if their closed account already has their bank account or debit/credit card information added to it.

xpm
8/14/14

Popular payment processor, used by many merchants. Thus, it's very convenient to make transactions with Paypal although fees are little high.
Unfortunately, it has restrictions in some countries.

The thing I dislike them the most is the security. Once they selected by the security team and forced me to change my Paypal password just because I logged in through many different IP addresses otherwise I permanently lost access to the account. They told me that this is to prevent fraud.
However, it's very inconvenient because I can only change to the strong and never used before password. Usually strong passwords indeed prevent hacks, but also prevent the user from logging in too because it's difficult to remember.
I know that I may save the password to somewhere else so I can copy and paste whenever I login, but that's also very inconvenient and dangerous because if I lost or someone saw it, then again unauthorised access will happen.

biggies
8/12/14

Local shops are starting to use this service. Makes forgetting your wallet a thing of the past. Great addition to the services already offered. Use it regularly.

lindal77
8/10/14

i have been using paypal for as long as i could remember. but when i tried to contact their support by phone, i was really upset. i was put on hold for a long time and then the person who answered the call sounded like he did not know what he was talking about. i ended up being even more confused. i just wish there was a better alternative.

edwardp18
8/6/14

I use paypal for paying for stuff or sending or accepting money. It's the easiest way to pay for eBay purchases. I like it and will continue to use it.
Only one thing that bother me, that is PayPal has own currency exchange courses and they are not so good as in your bank. So it's more useful to change your Paypal settings if you purchase something form Europe or other countries.

For example if u use USD card and are going to purchase in another currency. Either PayPal or your bank can do it. So, you need to change your settings to save money, cause your bank currency exchange is better the PayPal's course.
Just go to your settings, - click "conversion options" and choose "Bill me in the currency listed in the seller's invoice".

williamj31
8/5/14

Today after 30 plus months of generating income for Pay-Pal they froze my account for an alleged debt of $176.00 from 6 years ago THEY FEEL MAY BE TIED TO MY ACCOUNT. I contacted Pay-Pal to find out the details and spoke with a woman named Jessica in their dispute department. She could not provide any details as to what the debt was and why it was not dealt with 6 years ago. Only could tell me that it may be tied to my account and in the meantime they would freeze activity on my account. The funds in my account far surpass their claims of $176.00 however they will nor release funds until such time they have reviewed this. The account could have several thousand dollars and they will not release any of the money due to the $176.00 so called debt after 6years they cannot prove. I have generated sales in excess of $100,000.00 over the last two and a half years for them which they have received revenue. I have purchased another $40,000.00 in purchases which they have received the revenue. Now you are going to dispute a so called debt you cannot prove for $176.00 6 years later. PAY-PAL really needs to wake up as I will not take this sitting down. WBJ

rhondah3
8/1/14

I have used paypal about 4 times in 4 years. Mostly to pay for things I bought on ebay. The reason, ebay only lets you pay with paypal. The last thing I paid for never showed up. I complained to paypal and what ended up happening was "My" account getting restricted. Apprently the ebay seller who had a good rating was in some fraud or something and because I sent a payment to him for an item I never received, they limited my account until I sent all types of proof. SS, DL, Utility bill. Finally after 45 days the made it normal again. I think I am done using paypal and buying off ebay.

ramazanb
7/30/14

i purchased an electronic device from tinydeal.com and paid via paypal for my payment security. but the parcel did not deliver me and paypal confirmed the payment to seller even i informed them and warned them. Be aware of Paypal.com services, it is not for buyers, they serve only seller with commissions.”

mattw30
7/23/14

Overall an awful company to deal with. They are not on your side, they are on the side of the money. Whenever they will loose a substantial amount of profit, they will make it so they don't and push that loss onto the seller or buyer regardless of the facts. I have been scammed so many times via Paypal without care on there part, i stopped using them forever. Credit cards are always more secure then any service like paypal.

preg2
7/9/14

My experience with Paypal has been OK. They have limited offers for their users outside the US and that makes it difficult for me at times to use it. They do follow through with complaints and try to help which is what makes them ok for me.

lauras49
7/4/14

Absolutely horrible!! They limit my account asking for documentation when I received a payment for $200. What gives? Lately Paypal has been the worst processor, the only issue has been. Buyers have been ingrained with using them. That makes the more devious and an absolute failure for business.

moek3
6/27/14

pay pal was great before E BAY has purchased it !!! even the previous owner is furious and threaten them many times to cancel the contract and buy it back for their bad practices toward all !
now it is a monopoly and a dictatorship just like their site ! if you can avoid it please do ?otherwise watch out for your money ? E Bay will take it at will and nothing there you can do .

matti94
6/27/14

PayPal is the absolute worst online payment business I've ever had to deal with. I had multiple charges from companies I never bought from, was scammed out of $450 and sent them every single text message and email with MORE THAN ENOUGH PROOF. Did PayPal customer service do anything to help, at all? NOPE. I would never recommend PayPal to a friend, family member or complete stranger. Worst experience I've had in a very very very long time

adamd23
6/12/14

I use Paypal for payment on many, many projects. I have found their customer service to be friendly and eager to help. For tax and record keeping purposes the PayPal model is excellent. In terms of protecting you from fraud, I have nothing but the highest praise to offer.

michaelf84
6/11/14

Do not use PayPal. You are not protected as much as they claim. I made a $2k purchase for some custom fireplace doors. Never got the doors and did everything is the PayPal policy to file claim. PayPal doesn't make claims on custom made product even if the seller doesn't ship merchandise. PayPal is a scam. good luck getting a live person on the phone, you get looped in automation and the only way to get a live person is to not select from the automation prompt. PayPal put a negative mark on seller account. whoo hooo, that didn't help me get my money back

glendab4
6/6/14

eddies24
5/27/14

hate this company for always putting holds on my account. they say its' for safety issues but they just make me call in to have them manually review my account and release the funds. It's a very big hassle having to deal with them.

cathyb9
5/27/14

As with every business, especially a massive one like paypal, there are going to be people who aren't satisfied and of course some mistakes will be made with some customers.

I personally haven't had any problems with them and find their services quite convenient at times. There are some niggly issues with the interface, much too basic for some of my needs, and the features that are available would seem very hard to implement for beginners as they are hidden away and not really straight forward or well explained. But for the simple stuff, reliability and security, it gets top marks from me.

patriciam38
5/22/14

Paypal is very good if you sell your own products, it's a ready-made platform which is easy enough to install without technical knowledge.

In my experience, Paypal is not suited for a large volume of transactions: it becomes very risky, and Paypal has the habit of blocking accounts at the slightest complaint, justified or not. Keep in mind that Paypal is based in Luxemburg, and they are allowed to freeze your assets for several months according to local legislation.

costaj
5/20/14

Have used paypal for two years to make the payment, they provide a very good service. I personally did not have any trouble with this site yet.

artzis
5/19/14

When you transfer funds from a bank account to paypal it says it takes 5-7 days but always takes seven and sometimes longer. Its pure greed that it takes this long because they suck up as much interest with YOUR money as they can. Will avoid paypal an even co's associated with them from now on.

georgec46
4/28/14

I run a small online business, and as of today, we do NOT accept pay pal payments. Our service is a monthly service, which means you end up being billed multiple months as long as you are using it. Well, apparently if you sign up with paypal, for my site you can just cancel payments via pay pal and keep using the site. Awful.

stephanien3
Apprentice Reviewer
4/21/14

I use paypal as an easy why to send money to friends and family. I do find it annoying that there is a fee to pay companies. Overall, I think it is safe and reliable.

vasilyp
4/18/14

This is true story about true people. And big WARN to all of my colleague from hospitality industry to ban using PayPal services if you have ever done it before.

It is also about how "democrats" screwed up regular people.

My company is a private accommodation provider in Bali. Rarely but we have to accept payments on PayPal as guests prefer to use their credit cards to pay for holidays.

Just this Friday I issued PayPal invoice to my customer from Crimea. She authorised her credit card follow PayPal rules and she paid by invoice about US$ 6,700. 100% legal and authorised transactions from 100% authorised PayPal account using their bloody pin codes you need to find on your bank statement. It's not that easy to pay more than US$ 500 on PayPal and you need to spent hours of your time and still pay their ridiculous payment commission of 4,4% plus 3,9% exchange commission.

She had no other option to pay for accommodation because nowadays banks in Crimea can not send any payments to overseas that exceed US$ 1,000. Sanctions? Against whom, wealthy oligarchs? Western "democracies" $#*!ed nice regular people who want to go for holiday or do some purchases from overseas. I don't know if business can pay by their contracts. But my client's bank refused her payment to our 100% legal Indonesian company despite she provided invoice from us.

Finally. After client paid I received notification from PayPal about transaction is under review and it takes about 24 hours to review transaction and "make decision". Less than 24 hours later I received another email from PayPal saying that PayPal is "alerting you to potentially problematic transactions" and "We've completed our review of the transaction below and found the payment may not be authorized by the PayPal account holder or may be the result of suspicious activity. As a result, we’ve cancelled this transaction".

Without asking a question. Without asking for prove of payment (we managed to get Billing Authorisation Form, and client's copy of passport and credit card). Without taking care about what they do.

Without asking us or client whether this payment is true or not.

PayPal just cancelled US$ 6,700 payment without giving a $#*! about it might be important or urgent payment. In fact, it is urgent as her holiday commence this Wednesday.

Guess what's next? It takes UP TO 30 DAYS to see refund on customer's credit card statement.

So, client accumulated money for holiday of 6 people in Bali. Spent hours of her time authorising her credit card. PAID full amount using authorised credit card. And now she has NO MONEY and she can not be provided with an accommodation.

Well, she booked 3 villas from us for 3 consecutive weeks. 1 villa belongs to our company and we happy to place her in our villa without payment while she is waiting until she can use her money again. But the others 2 villas are someone's villas and we can not place her and her family with kids into another 2 villas without payment.

It is absurd and ridiculous situation. And PayPal doesn't give a $#*! what they do. They answered to my concern with very standard email saying they "protect" while nobody asked their f..ng protection.

Be careful!

P.S. Much more stories about terrible attitude of PayPal can be found everywhere in Internet and there is even "PayPal Sucks" community on Facebook. With a lot of confirm cases how PayPal $#*! their clientele.

Take care!

jacksonm33
4/4/14

I have had good luck with PayPal in the past, but keep in mind that they do not offer any buyer protection if the production you are buying is a digital product or "intangible" item as they say. If you are using PayPal funds to purchase a product that is delivered electronically, and the seller does not deliver, then PayPal will not offer you any assistance.

melindal1
EXPERT
4/4/14

I have been trying to change my name and my email address and they are making it SO DIFFICULT!!! First of all, it takes at least 5 minutes to get thru their automated phone system as they keep referring you back to the website to do whatever it is that you want to do. But if you can't get in, then you get to spend HOURS and HOURS on the phone with them! It's awful. Their customer service is lacking and I'm on hold for the 4th time as I leisurly write this review. It's a time-saver if you never need to change your information.... but just trying to update your name or your account information and be prepared to have you call dropped multiple times, having to deal with their EXTREMELY IRRITATING customer service. Actually... I am rethinking my 2 stars, here. Depending on how much longer I have to deal with this, I may be coming back and downgrading it to 1 star. Their "customer service" is bad....

simonw36
3/31/14

have used pay-pal for a long time and always satisfied with them thank you very much pay-pal for your good service

kimberlyd9
3/11/14

Paypal is a site I have used often for several years. The BEST thing about Paypal is that it protects its buyers. I just had an issue with Facebook charging my account for advertising that I did not do. My guess is some old ad from months and months ago was still somehow active but I did not know about it. Within a couple of days of alerting Paypal of the issue, it was resolved.
As a seller using Paypal sometimes it takes too long for money to get transferred to my bank account and that is frustrating when someone is waiting for confirmation of purchase. The other issue is the fees that Paypal charges. Some buyers don't believe there are fees and are objective to paying them. I wish the fees would be charged up front to the buyer rather than passed down to the seller, after all PayPal is for their convenience. I just opened a business account so I do like that we will now be able to take credit cards or offer buyers the buy now pay later option.
Overall, Paypal is a safe website to use. They take care of their buyers, which is a big reason why I have continued to use them and why people are comfortable using them for large purchases or out of state purchases.

siljeh
3/11/14

This is ok. And great for fast payment. But one time the money used to long of a time to get back to my account. Both my bank and Paypal could not tell me where my money was and when I would get it back. It took 4 days before I got my money.

thomasc52
2/28/14

Amazing!? I get a $700 dollar payment from one of my clients and my account is limited? What gives? The morons at Paypal limited my account permanently for one payment and they never want to do business with me again. I can't fathom the thought of these big businesses relying on Paypal for all their transactions, it's just absurd.

Only way is to open a new one, but apparently you need to have some info in order to get back on without them noticing: http://auctionessistance.com/paypal-limitations-reasons/

One point is this: don't rely on Paypal for all your transactions. Read all these reviews and search horror stories and you will see what I mean.

benp29
2/24/14

My experience of PayPal is excellent from the efficient and knowledgable staff who are genuine and not false with scripts to read from like some telephone reps. They protect the customer in disputes where the seller has operated in certain unacceptable ways which do not adhere to trading standards. PayPal can control these situations by holding the customers money under the appropriate conditions and can enforce a full refund from the seller within a time scale if the seller has failed to meet selling requirements.

barryw14
2/11/14

I used to maintain a small balance in my account, but no longer. When I went to use it recently, I found that it had been frozen by Paypal management. Upon inquiry, it turns out my adult son was involved in a billing dispute with someone or other. Since we share the same initials and address, they froze MY account as well as his. When this was explained to a Paypal agent, it was no interest....my account would remain frozen until my son resolved his dispute. Unethical, piratical and arbitrary. Paypal is managed by swine, IMO.

johng125
2/11/14

An unexpected experience. I made a purchase on ebay and used paypal to make the payment. After a month of not receiving the item I contacted Ebay, then Paypal. Paypal refunded my money and advised they were sorry for the bad transaction between me and the seller and they would pursue him to get their money back. The process was simple. They asked that I write an email to the seller asking about the product I purchased and if there was not a satisfactory response I would be refunded. The seller never responded. Paypal earned my trust and I would recommend the service to others.

dionm22
1/28/14

Paypal is what I use for whatever payments I'm doing (or accepting) on the internet. they are supported in League (which I play a ton), and I accept payments when selling from my records-collection on Discogs.com - I warmly suggest this site to anyone who wants to buy/sell on the internet - it's perfectly safe! :)

sandram30
1/25/14

The call center staff was rude both times we called. We've had our account frozen for buying on ebay. It's too much hassle, they still have our funds. Stick with Amazon for a much better experience.

Best Online Banking Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber