US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

chrise5

and bank account linked, and also almost 100% approval of purchases, would that make you nervous? (in 16 reviews)

courtneyg

It is 100% safe and secure and customer service is great. (in 25 reviews)

lorrainew3

When you become an e-bayer there are not a whole lot of ways to send money to the sellers. (in 96 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

jh225
1/28/15

paypal has increased their time to review accounts to 180 days instead of 45 days.
Tomtop Wholesalers sent me a message to send the item back to them for a refund in December. I sent it back and guess what, no response as I suspected.
I am kind of concerned that a company like this can get on what I perceive as a safer environment like Ebay, and scam customers and Ebay has no power to make them do the right thing. I also have been an Ebay customer and seller for many years and have been happy. ALL matters have been resolved. Tomtop has been the only scammer.
Anyway, paypal has issued me a refund, so I am happy as a lark.

Tip for consumers: Matter handled in a matter of minutes

johnmc1
1/11/15

Made a Christmas purchase from Shop.ca and paid via PayPal, with PayPal withdrawing a different (higher) amount from my account than the Shop.ca summary of charges e-mail confirmed. Numerous e-mails and a call to PayPal have solved nothing. Each contact I make seems to be managed there as a new issue. PayPal pushes the issue to Shop.ca and vice versa. Will remove PayPal as a payment method for all of my online purchases.

dh123
12/22/14

Why does PayPal represent companies like Rose Wholesale which has a 48% rating and is a total fraudulent company
I do not understand why they would not stop supporting this Korean company from ripping people off all over the world

Tip for consumers: I would check any site you are purchasing from. Does not matter if you can pay and open a case through PayPal...you have to go through a waiting period over 30 days trying to get some kind of support and a refund hopefully!

judys28
12/16/14

I've used paypal for over fifteen years. When a florist sent my daughter a shoddy bouquet with plastic leaves, I thought, 'Well, thank God I have paypal to go to bat for me."

WRONG!

An online entity can bring in hundreds of transactions a day. The week of the floral delivery, I used paypal three times. So, guess who they chose to throw under the bus?

People, it's not too late! Let's go back to our credit cards, debit cards, writing checks. It might take a little longer, but your bank is going to treat you a great deal better than paypal ever would.

Tip for consumers: Re: A tip for others who might use this site

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!

marissak2
12/10/14

If some of my favorite websites would stop using this as the only method of payment I would be happy to be rid of this company. Every time my old credit card expires and I add a new one they give me grief and I have to email customer service and wait weeks and weeks before I can purchase things again. This biennial frustration would be nice to remove.(note that I have never missed payments on any of my cards and they seem to equally hate visa, mastercard, and discover cards in multiple iterations)

Tip for consumers: If there is another option for payment, use that.

jasmineb9
11/23/14

I never had any problems with paypal before unlike many people have reviewed below. Lucky me I guess :D But instead of giving a perfect 5 stars, I'm giving paypal 4 stars for some future updates :)

natalieb18
11/21/14

Darn you Paypal! Why do you decide to limit my account & hold money for 180 day!! I sold 2 items only and shipped promptly as you stated!!

One thing is for sure, never trust what Paypal tells you or recommends!

Tip for consumers: Ya, find a merchant account if your a big time seller or do large transactions.

saraw27
11/19/14

JUST TERRIBLE. WATCH THEY DON'T FREEZE YOUR ACCOUNT AND KEEP YOUR MONEY. STAFF IS HELPLESS, NEED TO LEARN CUSTOMER SERVICE. PAYPAL IS THE REASON I AVOID EBAY. RATHER USE ANY OTHER PAYMENT SYSTEM THAN PAYPAL.

syliviam
11/17/14

Don't like them one bit. They froze my account without warning or reason. Then my money is gone and the supervisor laughs. Never again would I trust Paypal.

kimb385
11/15/14

Don't use PayPal if you order items online, in case you need to get a refund later for a scam company. Use your credit card and then you'll have no issues with resolutions, disputes, and getting a quick and proper FULL refund. I used PayPal to pay for items from RoseWholesale (which is a scam I’ve learned now) and went through them since I wasn’t getting anywhere with RoseWholesale, so made a complaint and the time it takes is exasperating, also waiting for the vendor to respond with their lame response that they’re not going to refund me. With PayPal, there’s a short time limit before your dispute EXPIRES, and once that happens you have NO recourse and cannot re-open the dispute. I’d gone away for a few weeks only to return and find out my so-called dispute expired yesterday. Now I’m screwed. Next time, I will pay only with my credit card company who always comes through without issues, and refund within 1-2 days. Done. PayPal however is beyond lame.

Tip for consumers: Don't use PAYPAL when ordering or purchasing online! if you expect to get a refund - unless you have unlimited hours to spend monitoring it. I don't. Use your CREDIT CARD only - no fuss - quick FULL refund

larrylj
11/13/14

everybody on the internet knows that paypal is a bunch of pigs. they'll ban you for no reason, freeze your account for no reason, and they pride themselves over protecting customers. no protection, period.

davidh182
11/5/14

Terrible. Another frozen account here, money gone and no help from Paypal! Stay away from them or risk losing your money. Paypal should be shut down already for how many people they've done this too.

krystalmc
11/2/14

Horrible customer service. The product is expensive for what it is. I cant wait for bitcoins to get popular b/c these guys need to go the way of the dinosaur. I also cant wait for the technology to move in a way where payments can be direct without big banks sucking up all the feeds---and yes, paypal has tons of those.

anthonyam
10/31/14

For buyers paypal is great. For sellers, paypal will hold your funds, close your account for no reason, and keep your money for up to 6 months! Seller beware!

joeb127
10/23/14

Paypal enables internet scammers. That's my assessment. Their so called "buyer protection" has too many small print the biggest one being exclusion for any digital purchase! Any digital content bought using paypal u can not dispute.

Also when you do have an issue there is little support from paypal. Unlike a credit card company thier business seems to favour more the sellers than the buyers. Please beware before using paypal again.

Tip for consumers: Be careful u understand all the small print and risks of using paypal

tyroneh13
10/16/14

I use paypal for ebay to buy and to sell. I haven't had any problems with using paypal as payment because it protects me in that i won't get scammed out of money or something.

marialc
10/12/14

petepr
10/12/14

I have been using PayPal for several years now and haven`t had a single issue with them. While they take commissions when you receive money - they are acceptable compared with the fees my local banks charge

robertw112
10/11/14

As a small business owner, I don't have many choices when it comes to payment processing, but paypal makes everything pretty simple. The working capital loans feature is really nice and straightforward. Wish they were a little better about chargebacks though.

joeee
10/11/14

Never again. My account has beed limitted without any reason and explanation - "security reason" heh they hold my money for 6 months !!! after 6 six months they close my account and till today i have no idea why. Be aware

kareemdh
10/9/14

nicolea8
10/8/14

At first I though paypal was a neat idea. It doesn't take long to set up and if you link your bank account it usually take a few days and you're ready to go. However some transactions you make over a few hundred dollars might suspend or freeze your account, even if you have made those transactions all the time. I feel like paypal trys to hard to be a bank but operates semi-unprofessionally.

randykg
10/7/14

I was totally unsure of the safety of using PayPal when I started several years ago ... Wow was I wrong to be concerned. This is probably the safest way and certainly the most convenient way to pay for purchases.

ernestog4
10/2/14

Transactions are not fully secured by Paypal nor by Ebay. In case of non-fulfillment of the transaction conditions, item desciption or delivery fees they don t take action for their customers, so they support irregularities and rip offs. It s way more secure to pay by VISA with an invoice than through these guys. They charge huge fees considering the low quality of the service. I will never use paypal again and will stay away from Ebay as it s became a scam page. Paypal is taking advantage of the laxity of the USA laws regarding customer protection and it s trying to impose their barely legal practices in Europe.

Tip for consumers: Avoid using Paypal as they dont protect their customers and take side for the scammers. The same for ebay.

stefk5
9/29/14

A sometimes necessary evil, but BEWARE.

Buy something on Ebay and you're stuck using paypal.

But a tenant, Perrin Tellock, of Antioch New England, studying for a Doctorate of Psycology paid me $1300 by paypal, as deposit and first month's rent, with a signed lease. Then later apparently found something better and notified paypal and accused me of wrongly taking money out of his account. Paypal seized the money and refused to return it even though I submitted plenty of proof that Tellock's claims were essentially fraud Paypal sided with him. Paypal does not look at proof even when properly submitted.

Short story: Paypal may be necessary when buying or selling on Ebay but do not expect them to look at proof if someone tries to scam you, who has paid you.

Tip for consumers: Use only when necessary for Ebay. Never, ever use this to receive money from anything you sold.

feliciar2
9/27/14

I have used Paypal many time even when I was on ebay purchasing items it is a very save way to pay for your items.There website is very safe to use I have found no problems.

Tip for consumers: PAYPAL IS GREAT

makennas
9/25/14

I use PayPal since my parents use them. I think it's a convenient way and safe way especially when purchasing online. Everyone should have their own PayPal account.

robbr1
9/21/14

After no major issues with them in the 11 years since I was a client, two bad experiences occured that make me wonder what the company is up to.

1) Rather than the typical means of paying by having to login to PayPal (PP) and confirm it, a new and unannounced feature occured through fiverr.com that led to a hassle and me losing a few bucks...after a few emails with customer service, PP reimbursed me $25 of a $35 NSF fee. It's part of the review I left for Fiverr: http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.fiverr.com#115

2) One of the main reasons for using PP is to not share one's personal information with a business. Yet in placing an order with personalcreations.com (part of ProFlowers.com), my PP billing address was transferred to them. I was able to edit the info to a fake address before submitting the order, but it was not an address in the USA and that led to a hassle about the order and me later cancelling it. Why does PP make my billing info available to a business? That story can be read here in my review of the online business: http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.personalcreations.com#7

Tip for consumers: 1) If using Fiverr, be careful about some buttons where you pay for extras as it may take your PP funds without you having to login to PP and confirm it, so make sure your preferred payment method has enough funds.

2) If a site like personalcreations gets your PP billing info, you can edit it to a fake address, though make sure it's in the USA.

coca-colad
8/28/14

Its a big news that Paypal doing fraud business and earn daily millions in illegal ways
PayPal also protect to Fraud

Tip for consumers: stop to use the Paypal services

johns735
8/14/14

Pretty good e-commerce site, but I really think users should be allowed to re-open their previously closed accounts, especially if their closed account already has their bank account or debit/credit card information added to it.

xpm
8/14/14

Popular payment processor, used by many merchants. Thus, it's very convenient to make transactions with Paypal although fees are little high.
Unfortunately, it has restrictions in some countries.

The thing I dislike them the most is the security. Once they selected by the security team and forced me to change my Paypal password just because I logged in through many different IP addresses otherwise I permanently lost access to the account. They told me that this is to prevent fraud.
However, it's very inconvenient because I can only change to the strong and never used before password. Usually strong passwords indeed prevent hacks, but also prevent the user from logging in too because it's difficult to remember.
I know that I may save the password to somewhere else so I can copy and paste whenever I login, but that's also very inconvenient and dangerous because if I lost or someone saw it, then again unauthorised access will happen.

biggies
8/12/14

Local shops are starting to use this service. Makes forgetting your wallet a thing of the past. Great addition to the services already offered. Use it regularly.

lindal77
8/10/14

i have been using paypal for as long as i could remember. but when i tried to contact their support by phone, i was really upset. i was put on hold for a long time and then the person who answered the call sounded like he did not know what he was talking about. i ended up being even more confused. i just wish there was a better alternative.

edwardp18
8/6/14

I use paypal for paying for stuff or sending or accepting money. It's the easiest way to pay for eBay purchases. I like it and will continue to use it.
Only one thing that bother me, that is PayPal has own currency exchange courses and they are not so good as in your bank. So it's more useful to change your Paypal settings if you purchase something form Europe or other countries.

For example if u use USD card and are going to purchase in another currency. Either PayPal or your bank can do it. So, you need to change your settings to save money, cause your bank currency exchange is better the PayPal's course.
Just go to your settings, - click "conversion options" and choose "Bill me in the currency listed in the seller's invoice".

williamj31
8/5/14

Today after 30 plus months of generating income for Pay-Pal they froze my account for an alleged debt of $176.00 from 6 years ago THEY FEEL MAY BE TIED TO MY ACCOUNT. I contacted Pay-Pal to find out the details and spoke with a woman named Jessica in their dispute department. She could not provide any details as to what the debt was and why it was not dealt with 6 years ago. Only could tell me that it may be tied to my account and in the meantime they would freeze activity on my account. The funds in my account far surpass their claims of $176.00 however they will nor release funds until such time they have reviewed this. The account could have several thousand dollars and they will not release any of the money due to the $176.00 so called debt after 6years they cannot prove. I have generated sales in excess of $100,000.00 over the last two and a half years for them which they have received revenue. I have purchased another $40,000.00 in purchases which they have received the revenue. Now you are going to dispute a so called debt you cannot prove for $176.00 6 years later. PAY-PAL really needs to wake up as I will not take this sitting down. WBJ

rhondah3
8/1/14

I have used paypal about 4 times in 4 years. Mostly to pay for things I bought on ebay. The reason, ebay only lets you pay with paypal. The last thing I paid for never showed up. I complained to paypal and what ended up happening was "My" account getting restricted. Apprently the ebay seller who had a good rating was in some fraud or something and because I sent a payment to him for an item I never received, they limited my account until I sent all types of proof. SS, DL, Utility bill. Finally after 45 days the made it normal again. I think I am done using paypal and buying off ebay.

ramazanb
7/30/14

i purchased an electronic device from tinydeal.com and paid via paypal for my payment security. but the parcel did not deliver me and paypal confirmed the payment to seller even i informed them and warned them. Be aware of Paypal.com services, it is not for buyers, they serve only seller with commissions.”

mattw30
7/23/14

Overall an awful company to deal with. They are not on your side, they are on the side of the money. Whenever they will loose a substantial amount of profit, they will make it so they don't and push that loss onto the seller or buyer regardless of the facts. I have been scammed so many times via Paypal without care on there part, i stopped using them forever. Credit cards are always more secure then any service like paypal.

preg2
7/9/14

My experience with Paypal has been OK. They have limited offers for their users outside the US and that makes it difficult for me at times to use it. They do follow through with complaints and try to help which is what makes them ok for me.

lauras49
7/4/14

Absolutely horrible!! They limit my account asking for documentation when I received a payment for $200. What gives? Lately Paypal has been the worst processor, the only issue has been. Buyers have been ingrained with using them. That makes the more devious and an absolute failure for business.

moek3
6/27/14

pay pal was great before E BAY has purchased it !!! even the previous owner is furious and threaten them many times to cancel the contract and buy it back for their bad practices toward all !
now it is a monopoly and a dictatorship just like their site ! if you can avoid it please do ?otherwise watch out for your money ? E Bay will take it at will and nothing there you can do .

matti94
6/27/14

PayPal is the absolute worst online payment business I've ever had to deal with. I had multiple charges from companies I never bought from, was scammed out of $450 and sent them every single text message and email with MORE THAN ENOUGH PROOF. Did PayPal customer service do anything to help, at all? NOPE. I would never recommend PayPal to a friend, family member or complete stranger. Worst experience I've had in a very very very long time

adamd23
6/12/14

I use Paypal for payment on many, many projects. I have found their customer service to be friendly and eager to help. For tax and record keeping purposes the PayPal model is excellent. In terms of protecting you from fraud, I have nothing but the highest praise to offer.

michaelf84
6/11/14

Do not use PayPal. You are not protected as much as they claim. I made a $2k purchase for some custom fireplace doors. Never got the doors and did everything is the PayPal policy to file claim. PayPal doesn't make claims on custom made product even if the seller doesn't ship merchandise. PayPal is a scam. good luck getting a live person on the phone, you get looped in automation and the only way to get a live person is to not select from the automation prompt. PayPal put a negative mark on seller account. whoo hooo, that didn't help me get my money back

glendab4
6/6/14

eddies24
5/27/14

hate this company for always putting holds on my account. they say its' for safety issues but they just make me call in to have them manually review my account and release the funds. It's a very big hassle having to deal with them.

cathyb9
5/27/14

As with every business, especially a massive one like paypal, there are going to be people who aren't satisfied and of course some mistakes will be made with some customers.

I personally haven't had any problems with them and find their services quite convenient at times. There are some niggly issues with the interface, much too basic for some of my needs, and the features that are available would seem very hard to implement for beginners as they are hidden away and not really straight forward or well explained. But for the simple stuff, reliability and security, it gets top marks from me.

patriciam38
5/22/14

Paypal is very good if you sell your own products, it's a ready-made platform which is easy enough to install without technical knowledge.

In my experience, Paypal is not suited for a large volume of transactions: it becomes very risky, and Paypal has the habit of blocking accounts at the slightest complaint, justified or not. Keep in mind that Paypal is based in Luxemburg, and they are allowed to freeze your assets for several months according to local legislation.

costaj
5/20/14

Have used paypal for two years to make the payment, they provide a very good service. I personally did not have any trouble with this site yet.

artzis
5/19/14

When you transfer funds from a bank account to paypal it says it takes 5-7 days but always takes seven and sometimes longer. Its pure greed that it takes this long because they suck up as much interest with YOUR money as they can. Will avoid paypal an even co's associated with them from now on.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the PayPal staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Iott have read a few reviews of PayPal that say it's very good but none that gave any examples of how PayPal did what it claims it does, which is to hold your payment until you indicate the item is received in good order. But I have read quite a number of reviews which say PayPal does not ever do what it claims it does which is to help a buyer who doesn't receive the product purchased on ebay, or the product is unsatisfactory and the buyer can not get satisfaction from the seller. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A GOOD REPORT about how PayPal helped? If not, I'm going to call PayPal and ask them for an explanation. If I don't get a satisfactory one, maybe we can get it in the media and have a PayPal boycott
6/13/10
jh225
A: Paypal has increased its claim time from 45days to 180 days. They issued me a refund just today. I know you have to wait for a long time to get someone on the line.
13 hours ago
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the PayPal staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?