US Government's NSF

47%
651 Brannan St., 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
support@modcloth.com

People interested in ModCloth are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kristinak4

Great vintage clothes, fantastic customer service, and easy browsing. (in 41 reviews)

flynnet

She misunderstood me and just refunded the whole order to store credit. (in 9 reviews)

aliciad8

I placed an order for a dress recently and recieced my package quickly from them. (in 76 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

maddyg2
8/10/15

I love this site! The clothing actually fits nicely, and it isn't aimed towards the stick population. (even tho I guess I qualify as a stick lol) Everything is so cute and flattering. I know they have a ton of retro styled clothing, but I have found SO many cute things on there that are modern and fresh.
And it's not just their clothing, shoes, accessories, etc.. IT'S THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE! It is by far, THE BEST customer service I've ever gotten. I really respect ModCloth for allowing customers to review their items and share opinions. This really helps decide what to buy. I ordered a pair of sandals with a bunch of jewels on them and the jewels fall off.. I reviewed them and got 25% of the price of the shoes back on my credit card and 20% off my next purchase!! They really value customer feedback which makes the customer feel valued and that their money hasn't gone to waste.

Love ModCloth forever <3

caryd6
8/3/15

I have not received a dress I bought almost two weeks ago. And it has just been sent from Modcloth to FedEx. Which will then get transferred to USPS. There is no way I will get my dress by Thurs, which is when I need it by. Ordering over tow weeks in advance should be more than enough time to receive an order. The story given by Modcloth is they were in the middle of a software update. They have done nothing to offer a faster shipping method or a refund so I could buy a dress elsewhere. So now I'll have no new dress for my trip. So long, Modcloth.

staceyd19
7/31/15

I won't be ordering from them again. Took them over a week and a half to ship my order and wouldn't let me cancel my order either when it was their fault my package wouldn't be arriving before I had to move back to school. Still don't know what I'm doing about that. Poor customer service with problem solving, like maybe change my address since you haven't even shipped it after almost 2 weeks? Nope no help.

hale68
7/30/15

Highly recommended. I've ordered from ModCloth a few times in the past and have always received satisfactory service. I promptly got whatever cute clothes I ordered. Everything also seemed well-made and in good condition.

In my last order, however, one item came with a significant defect. As soon as I contacted customer service and explained the problem, I was shipped a new item free of charge! They seemed helpful, apologetic and kind, especially compared to other companies I've dealt with in the past.

pennyt2
7/29/15

I placed an order a week ago. They haven't shipped it and won't cancel my order.

Quote from chat:

Right, but as I mentioned, we are in the midst of upgrading our warehouse system so we had to cease operations for a short time.
I so sorry, if i had a way to add a new charge to your order, I would.

Another quote:
We are a young and growing site, try to better our processes and services. It's not an overnight process, it takes time.

Recommend no order be placed until they better their process.

sachag7
7/18/15

I bought couple of trousers for my husband. Those item were amazing.But only problem is that high shipping rate for my country Canada.

Tip for consumers: High cost to ship to Canada.!

dinam7
7/14/15

These guys completely ruined my day. I made an order only to get an email from Fedex that they are going to charge me with fees which are more than half of my original order charge. Modcloth customer service are refusing to reimburse me for even a part of those fees, and I have another order on the way! They have lost my business forever.

sarak25
6/26/15

I am sorry to see negative reviews here, I absolutely LOVE ModCloth. I stumbled across it last August and have ordered over 140 items now. Of course, I haven't kept it all, but the items I do keep are my most favorite clothing and accessories. I have rarely, in all my orders, encountered issues. I understand blips have occurred during special flash-type promotions (Stylish Surprise) but I've never been personally affected. I have had two instances where an item "oversold"; in both instances, I was issued a coupon.

Coupons have gotten a little lame I have to admit. Products are pretty pricey. Last fall I received many 20% off coupons and then I joined a site which offered a discount to students on every order, which initially was 15% off then reduced to 10% (now it's a one-time deal, sadly, so I won't even name the site). It seems the most Modcloth will offer for coupons are 10% off now. Anyways. The customer service is phenomenal. I've never encountered such wonderful agents..I use the chat feature all the time and the responses are prompt, friendly, personal, and accurate. I've had a couple agents that were less enthusiastic but that's the worst I can say. Never rude, typically offer to go above and beyond. The ModStylists are amazing. They can offer more detailed product info that the CS reps can't but beyond that they are just rock stars at wanting to help customers. One worked with me over a period of months regarding an item that was possibly going to be put up on the site. She contacting me regularly with updates with NO prompting on my part. It would take a lot for me to be disappointed with ModCloth, really. The worst issues I've had occurred during shipping (thanks to Fed Ex..they've screwed up a few deliveries and destroyed two packages now. I'll take USPS anyday). Not anything to do with Modcloth, as they usually prepare and ship the package within 24 hours. I often receive orders in 3-4 mail days (M-Sat). Handling has slowed down a bit right now as it is peak season for weddings and prom, so my packages are going out of MC's distribution after about 2-3 days pending. I was concerned so I contacted CS and they explained the seasonal rush. I am in no way affiliated with MC beyond being an extremely loyal customer :)

Tip for consumers: Order quickly if you love something; you can always return it but things sell out very fast sometimes. Returns are 5.99 unless you get store credit. Pay attention to the returns window.

jenniferp59
6/6/15

I order from them at least once a month. Shipping is always fast, and I haven't had any issues with quality like others. I tend to just buy dresses, and I'm usually happy with my purchase. I had to return a few things, but never had an issue.

sandrad33
5/29/15

love the dresses and the prices are ok
free shipping is helpful
will shop again soon

buysavvyb
5/25/15

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE!!! The customer service reps( excuse me advocates) are LIARS and give customers VERY MISLEADING information. I ordered an item from them on April 17th. When I recieved my item it wasn't fitting how I expected so I returned it late April to buy something else later on. Tell me why it's now May 23th and I STILL haven't recieved my refund from them! I contacted them about my refund I was waiting on because I was not given acknowledgement as to if they received my returned item. The rep told me I'm going to be refunded and it will take exactly 2-5 business days for my refund to reflect back into my bank account. Don't tell a customer to wait 2-5 business days because I'm going to expect 2-5 business days and when those days passed my refund wasn't even reflected in my account. I contacted them again about this and new rep told me now that it may take a full billing cycle and to call my bank about the status of my refund. I then contacted my bank and they told me they see no such refund being processed or pending for me so they can't tell me when to expect it. In the meantime my bank encouraged me to file a dispute against them. To make matters worse I have an event I am suppose to attend at the end on May 29th, and I put in an order for a new dress well in advance. Tell me why my dress is STILL pending and hasn't shipped yet?! I ordered my dress well in advance express so that by the time it arrives and if the size doesn't work out I can quickly exchange it if need be. The company offers no idea as to how long processing takes before an order is shipped. So as far as I'm concerned that could be a month from now. I contacted customer service again about my order that was pending for over a week. One the representatives had the nerve to tell me because it's prom and wedding season that is why my dress hasn't shipped. They are busy shipping their stuff. It's obvious here that my business with them mean nothing and their representative is basically telling me because I'm not going to prom or getting married my order is low priority.

I then had to contact customer service AGAIN!!! Not only about my dress, but my promised refund. The rep then got back to me and told me there was an error on their part why my refund didn't show back up in my bank account. Why couldn't the last rep I spoke to tell me that? Why was the mistake just caught now? So I now have to wait ANOTHER 3-5 business days. In terms of my dress the last rep I spoke to promised me my dress would arrive before my event on May 29th and even lied about when my order would ship. Now the new rep I spoke to that caught the mistake is telling me my order is going to arrive on the day of my event. After the last rep PROMISED me that my order would arrive well BEFORE and not to worry. SHE GAVE ME HER WORD!!! Long story short. DO NOT BUY FROM HERE! The customer service reps are very SHADY AND LIE ALOT!!!

jenel17
5/6/15

They have great customer service!
I got my order in 3 days and I love my dress!
But what I like most about them is their marketing. They show a variety of body sizes in their pictures and are welcoming to all people who have a desire to wear dresses. Kudos to you Modcloth!!!

erinf15
4/8/15

Beautiful, fun,flirty,fabulous, one of a kind,excellent quality, gift certificates,great service,fast shipping! You can create a personal account privately storing your measurements, items you love and if something you love is on sale,almost sold out or comes back in stock they will email you. They even send you little jewelry gifts in your orders!

chloec6
3/24/15

A friend of mine told me about this site - she uses it all of the time, for dresses mostly. She will order 3 dresses and when they arrive, she tries them on and usually keeps one, maybe two, then returns the other(s). It's so easy to do, it's a very trustworthy site. It can be a little bit pricey on some items, but most are good quality pieces.

jennifers90
3/4/15

This site is like the zappos of dresses. Such cute styles and easy returns for what doesn't work out. Love!

paigeb6
2/25/15

I wanted to express how deeply disappointed I have been with ModCloth. My daughter and I have been loyal customers for years and have fell in love with what this company has to offer. Unfortunately after this recent interaction with Modcloth, I was left exhausted with the non-sense and in disbelief that a company’s “Customer Care” would be so, well, careless. After many phone calls, and even speaking with a manager, the situation is still not resolved. Over Christmas break I order several items from ModCloth, along with a couple of items from Urban Outfitters. Both of which were not cheap. One of ModCloth's dresses did not fit my daughter, so she wanted to exchange it for another. Likewise, one of the purses she wanted from UO was not what she was hoping, and decided to send the product back. Being a busy mom in the midst of the holiday season, I made a mistake and sent the wrong items to the wrong companies. The purse went to ModCloth and the dress went to OU. I take full blame for that. Thankfully, about a week later (late December), I get a call from Urban making me aware of my mistake. They were SO NICE! They said it is a common mistake, sent the package directly back to me, and said I had until the END of February to return the purse. That should leave me with more than enough time, right? I immediately called ModCloth and told them about the mistake. They said they couldn’t find the package, but would let me know when they did. Well, after waiting for a while with no response, I call back. They did in fact receive the package and were going to send it back. Praise the Lord! But, after waiting….and waiting….and waiting, still no package. I call AGAIN asking to speak to a higher authority. Finally getting in touch with a manager, she tells me the package is now missing, or if you ask me, stolen. Why wouldn’t someone want to take a cute purse, that isn’t even reflected on their inventory? Their product is returned. The manager proceeds to tell me there is nothing she can do. She says that customers make this mistake more often than I would think and she apologized for the lost package. She used being a “small company” as an excuse for the loss, when I would think that just means packages are that much easier to keep track of. She also suggests I call Urban Outfitters and ask if they can give me some store credit! I actually laughed at this one. Why the heck would UO do that? Even though it was my mistake, they handled the situation with grace, so the problem could get resolved. They did their part and the err is not on their end. ModCloth has so much to offer, but unfortunately, service sometimes speaks louder than the product. After reading several customer review sites, I guess I’m not surprised. It sounds like there is a management problem. Owning a company of my own, I know that sometimes you run into difficult situations. Over the years I’ve learned that bending over backwards for a customer (which isn’t always the most enjoyable) is sometimes worth the immediate loss, because it results in way more business in the future. Word of mouth is one of the most powerful marketing tools and I can guarantee I won’t be spreading positive feedback about ModCloth any longer.

ktf1
1/15/15

I returned some items to Modcloth and requested larger sizes be sent. The sizes I requested were out of stock so they automatically have me store credit instead of issuing a refund like any honest retailer. I contacted them to correct the mistake and they refused. Worst company ever. Seriously? I hope holding on to my $75.00 is worth losing a customer for a lifetime.

nicholet1
1/10/15

I order from ModCloth all the time. I am usually very happy with my purchases. If I am not the customer service team is happy to take care of it. I have never had any issues with their customer service. I have to agree with some of the other reviews however that shipping is not the best. I have ordered overnight and noticed three days later that is has not shipped. I call and get it the next day. Also with the 4-9 day shipping sometimes takes about a week to ship. I have also received broken items or they were the wrong item all together. This doesn't bother me too much because the customer service team always takes care of it. Regardless of the shipping issues I will continue to love and shop this site.

Tip for consumers: Read reviews of products before purchase. These are very helpful when shopping online as sizes and quality vary.

mc352
1/6/15

This rating is for their customer service. My ModCloth delivery was stolen off of my porch. When I called ModCloth, Anna, the customer service rep, was extremely understanding and accommodating. Unfortunately, 2 of the items I had ordered were no longer in stock, but she offered me the option of re-shipping the others and refunding the out of stock items, or just refunding the entire order. I was very impressed with their customer service. I don't think many companies would go out of their way like this to make sure the customer is happy. Thank you, ModCloth!

laurena7
12/30/14

I ordered an item Dec 9th for a Christmas gift. I paid extra for faster shipping too. One week later, the item still hadn't shipped! So, I called the office and a rep tried to locate the order; she said she emailed the shipping department to send the item out on asap shipping. She never got back to me like she said. I called again the next day, the rep confirmed the item had been tagged as asap shipping as soon as it processed and should be out for shipping (as soon as that night or the next day). Christmas comes and goes, I was out of town and kind of hoped that everything had worked out. Check my email Dec 26th and still have no tracking information and my friend said she never received the package. Dec 29th call them up and again (3rd rep conversation) and explained the situation. She can see that I have had issues and canceled the order (she said something about becoming out of stock and them having them in again). She said if I reorder it, she will send me a coupon for 10% off and free asap shipping. Dec 30th I log on to reorder the item and use the coupon...the price has increased from 16.99 to 24.99! The coupon didn't even cover the difference! So, again, I contact a rep and she "price matched" and gave me free shipping. So, exactly 3 weeks later, I have reordered the scarf for the same price and still have no scarf. I am not happy. I will not order with modcloth again.

with4
12/19/14

Whether its shoes or a simple sweater, the customer reviews say it all. Poorly made, overpriced, ill-fitting flimsy materials. Or "once I washed it, it unraveled". Found a shirt I liked with 6 good reviews, on "sale" for $44, (cost $4 to make). Lots of polyester and rayon goin on with most of their stuff, one "description" just said IMPORTED. Sigh.
I order this shirt on Dec 2nd, it just got here the 17th! Said 4-7 business days. That was my last purchase from modcloth ripoff.

Tip for consumers: Do your research, a majority of customer reviews are negative. Save your money.

georgej23
12/16/14

ModCloth has been a very helpful company. Their goods are of HIGH quality. They commit CS reps CS STYLIST HELP, whoever u NEED. 2 YOU!! They have CHAT which I love & they respond quickly. Shipping can be slow. They say its bc they use small artisans who can only fulfill so many orders. Otherwise, they hav helped me immensely. Just make sure your signed up 4 "notification" so ull b alerted as soon as an item u wanted comes back!! Then , grab it immediately! They even say "order in 2 sizes if your not sure, we have FREE SHIPPING BOTH DIRECTIONS". And it IS trye!!

deeq2
12/16/14

Absolute worst - took 8 days to ship, missing items, some labeled "final sale" and probably won't have in time for Christmas...spent twenty minutes twice on "chat" and was promised a response - never got one. I think they'll be gone by next Christmas - super bad management and staffing.

Tip for consumers: Go elsewhere!

nicolek14
11/25/14

I contacted customer care three times about an order because I was afraid the stylish surprise would be oversold and look at that, it was. It also took them 4 business days to tell me that, when the 2nd time I contacted customer service, the woman told me my items were ALL accounted for and ready to ship--which was FALSE. I can't even begin to explain how frustrated I am because this has happened to me so many times when shopping at ModCloth. I've been a customer for over 8 years now and it's absurd that in EIGHT YEARS they still have not been able to fix the problem of overselling items. I am so furious. I don't care that I was refunded, I want to receive the items that I was confirmed to have ordered. And now I will have to wait another six months or however long for it to come back, and I'm sure this will happen then as well. On top of this entire fiasco, they send me 10% off, which is basically a slap in the face. Unidays gives me 15% off my ModCloth order every time! I won't even use the 10% because it is essentially worthless. If I buy something for $50, I get $5 off, wow. I don't want a coupon, I want the items I ordered. $5 is not nearly worth the inconvenience and annoyance I have endured with this order.

I'm getting to the point with ModCloth where it's such a frustrating experience that it's not even worth the clothes. Half the time I don't end up getting them anyway.

Tip for consumers: if it's low in quantity it's probably sold out.

ammus
11/18/14

It was my very first order frm this website. I got the Shipment notice the very next day I placed my order. And while waiting I started reading reviews from other websites including here.. When I read abt their shipment delay I was really concerned. But I got my order on time, infact I placed the order on a saturday and the clothes were delivered on Thursday.
Abt the quality, it was ok.. I feel the price I payed was huge.. Shops like Macy's may sell tht for the price I payed.. Well, the most imp thing was the size.. Even though the website said, true to size I felt the dress I bought was very large.. So I called customer service and told the same. They asked me to go for a quick exchange If I wish to buy a smaller size.. So its like they placed a new order for a size smaller and for the original dress I had to return back for a full refund. The new dress arrived this Monday which I felt was a very quick shipment, considering the fact that they did not even charge for my shipment.
I believe other bitter experiences mentioned here, are mainly coz they might not have the items ordered instock.
But, will i recommend this to others?? Probably now, mainly because I felt items are too costly.. Also people who are fit conscious should gamble here..
P:S The new dress arrived was also not that great fit for me.. And it was a size 'S'.. Cant go lower than tht. :)
Hope this helps

stephh4
11/16/14

DO NOT ORDER FROM HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! I placed my order on Tuesday evening and paid for their ASAP (overnight) shipping, which according to their information on their shipping page means that my order should have been processed on Wednesday and I should have received my order on Thursday. It is now Sunday and my order is still "pending."

I spoke to two customer service representatives via the online chat and have sent an email to customer service.

I opted for overnight shipping as I needed the dress for a party on Saturday, so I decided that overnight shipping with it arriving on Thursday should guarantee that I had it in time. When my order did not arrive as expected on Thursday, I chatted with customer service and was assured it would arrive on Friday. I decided that while this was later than I paid for, it would be fine as I would still have a dress to wear on Saturday. I checked my order status on Friday morning and it was still in "pending" status and clearly had not yet shipped. Again, I contacted customer service via live chat. This time I was told that there were "inventory issues" with my order and it was unknown when it would ship. I then requested that my order be cancelled and to be given a full refund, since it would not arrive in time and I would have to buy a different one for the party anyways. The CSR told me that they could not offer me a refund as it was outside of their ridiculous 60 minutes cancellation window and that I would just have to return my order whenever I received it. I have sent another email requesting a cancellation and full refund.

I do not recommend ordering from ModCloth to anyone. It has been nothing but a headache. I ended up having to rush to JC Penney as that is the only store near me, in order to buy a different dress for the party.

I did not rate the quality or value of products from this site as I have not received my order.

Tip for consumers: Tip: Don't order anything that you want to wear anytime soon.

donnellap
11/13/14

I love Modcloth! I have purchased over 30 dresses from Modcloth and I absolutely love their dresses. I have 3 girls and their Modcloth dresses are their favorite dresses. The dresses are absolutely beautiful--unique and made with beautiful cloth and detail. The dresses are usually lined except for some of the summer cotton dresses. I have had a few that were sized weird, such as very large on the top and they had to be returned, but my money was always refunded quickly without a hassle. I even had one dress that the color faded unevenly after washing and even though it was past the refund date, they refunded my money.

Tip for consumers: I usually order 10 dresses at a time, pick out my favorites and promptly return those I don't like or that don't fit (usually half). You can't expect everything you order online to look great on you or to fit perfect.

echow1
10/23/14

I really really wanted to give modcloth a try because they do allow these unique designers to showcase their products (most of them looked so interesting that I couldn't wait to get my hands on them) so I ordered from them several times and here is my experience:

1. It has become apparent that some of the products are definitely not worth the money. There were several products that I saw on their websites that I wanted to buy but ended up buying from somewhere else cheaper(exactly same products directly from designer or through other online platforms if you are willing to look for it).
2. I ordered 3 pairs of shoes from them. The common issue with modcloth is that the pictures must have undergone some editing because the colors are ALWAYS different. I returned two of them because of the colors. They were different enough for me to SPEND money to ship them back (I was told that I would have to pay for my shipping if I returned them). The last one I kept because I did want a pair of navy colored shoes but I regreted after wearing it for a day because for a pair of low heels it was extremely uncomfortable (definitely not a quality product of worth)
3. For international shoppers:
I moved to Canada. At this point I buy a lot of stuff online because some of the brands have no retailers in Canada. I have not experienced a lot of issues with duty (crossing the border) with stuff I've bought from other places. However with modcloth (I have no idea why) I get charged almost 30% duty.

At this point. After all my frustrations (6 purchases and 600 dollars later) I think I am going to give up on this website.

rebeccag14
10/21/14

As others have said before me, the site has some cute items that are hard to find elsewhere. I bought a sweater and read the reviews, it said it ran small so I ordered a larger than normal size. It came and was easily two sizes smaller than typical. I wanted to return the item. I was told that I would have to pay a fee to return the item, fine whatever. So I shipped it back. I waited a few days, nothing, no refund. I chat with them and she says it takes a few weeks to receive back in the warehouse then another week to process the return. Totally unacceptable, refund my money once the item has shipped back to you. Amazon has great customer service as we all know, when you say you are returning something they refund your money. They don't wait 3-4 weeks to return your money. I will never shop with ModCloth again and I suggest you don't either. There are so many other great options out there. Try StichFix, they are great!

sarahk37
10/10/14

This site is amazing. First off, the style clothing they sell is nearly impossible to find in stores you can walk in to. Second, (if you read reviews and actually look at what the product is made of in the description) you can find very nice quality clothes. Sure, they're priced very high, but it's not like you'll find those styles in stores for any cheaper. Thirdly, their customer service is wonderful! I've never had a bad experience with them (and I'm one of those ask a million times a million question shoppers). My only dislike is their processing times every other order take a while. But, that's ok with me. :)

modclothsucksp
10/4/14

I am frustrated with modcloth! Their dresses are made from flimsy cheap fabric that are not worth the usual $40-60+ dollars they go for. Also the shirt I bought in my first (and only) order from them had a defect. And when I wrote a negative review on their site expressing these opinions, they took it down.

Not worth the time or money. The dresses look so cute on their site, but having ordered from them it is a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

flynnet
10/1/14

In the past, I had been satisfied with both the quality of products and the customer service I had received from Modcloth. It is lovely to be able to buy unique and vintage clothing which I couldn't otherwise find in shops which were not online.
This said, the last couple of times I have shopped with Modcloth, I have been quite disappointed with my experience.
I had ordered a pair of simple, cream coloured shoes from the site and once they arrived I noticed they were marked, and the soles were scuffed. Clearly not new as advertised! However, I was quite pleased with the service I had received on this occasion as the customer care team sent me a new pair free of charge, and I didn't even have to send the other pair back.
My most recent experience has seriously put doubts to the Modcloth name in my mind, at least. I jumped at the opportunity of a free shipping order to Australia, ordering big because usually it's so expensive to ship down here. Unfortunately, and not Modcloth's fault, the package has gone missing in the mail system here and it's unlikely I will receive this order. Again, not Modcloth's fault and they have launched an investigation with Australia Post. So when I contacted customer care to see what I could do from here, I asked the team member to resend the items of the order which were still in stock and refund the rest to the credit card I had used for the order. She misunderstood me and just refunded the whole order to store credit. This is not what I asked for!! So when I contacted her again, she told me there was nothing she could do and I'd just have to use the store credit.
Know the package going missing wasn't their fault, but the customer service team could be a bit more attentive to what is being asked of them.
Having been dissatisfied with Modcloth on two occasions now, rethinking investing there any time soon. Shame though, the clothes are really quirky and unique. But in the end, probably better to shop where you know the service staff can actually help you and the items are new.

susanb61
9/28/14

I have several pieces from ModCloth - I love the quality and style of all their designs and ordering and payment was sleek and smooth. Unfortunately, my Bank here in Malaysia has experienced a lot of Credit Card fraud with this Company and they have now blocked all transactions with ModCloth. I now need to get special authority each time I wish to make a purchase. This has certainly taken the fun out of online shopping for me. However, I will still follow this Company and their lovely selection of styles and dresses. The dresses are totally worth the hassle - it's just not as easy as it was before….

louiset21
9/25/14

My shopping experience with this company was totally negative! This company is a total waste of time.
Clothing sizes are inconsistent and I had to return all my dresses. They may look cute on the site but they just don't fit properly and the fabrics look cheap in real life.

Also, it is obvious ModCloth does not value their international customers and their return policies for those ordering from without the US are much harsher than US ones. No exchanges for international customer too, sorry.

No more business from me!

kristinak4
9/15/14

I love ModCloth! Great vintage clothes, fantastic customer service, and easy browsing. My one wish is that their dresses were designed to nip in at the waist and come to a little above knee-length; the proportions of the dress often make it look like dresses are cut like this, but they're actually mostly empire waisted mini-skirts. Still, there are some great dresses in there, and the search is fun!

rayvenl
9/11/14

I live in Canada and have ordered from ModCloth a few times in the past (just 1 or 2 items per order) and this time thought I’d just do one big order to save on shipping costs, but I think I ended up paying more in total. When the payment actually went through on paypal I was charged $20 more than expected because of the currency exchange rate. This is not advertised blatantly at all on their website. Then I finally received the package today after 3 weeks and I have to pay another $30 in customs fees. Ridiculous. That’s $50 extra. Including shipping costs $70. And to return everything I would not be refunded for the $20 and I would have to pay for return shipping, likely another $20, so it’s not even worth it to return. I emailed them 8 days ago to complain and still haven’t received a response.

EDIT: I just chatted with a ModCloth representative and they are willing to refund the shipping costs. I am a lot more satisfied with their customer service and I am bringing up the rating to 4 stars. It is important to be aware of shipping costs and customs costs for next time.

kaylas11
8/30/14

I bought a book and a purse from Modcloth and love them both! They're both good quality and I get a ton of compliments on the purse. Yes it's a little overpriced, but I'm still happy with what I bought.

Tip for consumers: Follow what the reviews say. If people aren't happy with it, chances are you won't be. If you're getting something without reviews, be cautious.

dariad
8/27/14

For a long time I'd look on their website but I wouldn't buy anything because some of the things that are cute are unreasonably expensive. It's not like they sell high qality stuff there, I see same clothes at other stores for way less.
Finally I decided to buy some wall "art". At the same exact day I bought a painting from urbanoutfitters.com, which I received within 3 days. My modcloth order was being "processed" for over two weeks. When I finally got annoyed with them I messaged asking if I could cancel and I was told no I'm too late for that. When I asked about returns the person who works at modcloth told me she'd send me pre-paid return postage. Well I got my stuff after a month, no return postage included. The "art" was tiny and cheap looking. I immediately deleted their app and told everyone I thought would shop there, not to.

rainav
8/21/14

Cute clothes crappy site!! Don't get sucked in ladies!!

If I could give a negative star I would!! I had ordered a few dresses from ModCloth in hopes of wearing one to an upcoming wedding. It wasn't until I contacted them that they told me that they were restructuring of their shipping facility that they will not be able to ship my order in time. There was no notice of this at the time of my order and it should have arrived by now if normal. Then when it finally DID arrive it was HALF A DRESS!! The entire top was missing...and this isn't a two piece, either! Ladies be very careful of ordering from ModCloth and they just lost a customer!

Tip for consumers: AVOID IT!

ss107
8/20/14

Love this site!! Easy returns, and if you agree to store credit they tack on an extra $5 to your account. They encourage people to review items and as long as you read the reviews you can stay away from the few things they sell that are not up to par...

isabelzm
8/14/14

This is the first time i buy from this site, i bought a swimwear and i love love it, it arrived with in 3 days, the colors is exactly the same as in the photo, and the cut is flattering, surely i will buy from them again.

Tip for consumers: Love It!

kristenm12
8/12/14

First off, everything on there site is pretty much out of stock. This is really annoying.

Second I placed my order on 8/5 and I have not received my items yet, or any shipping updates. I go to their help section of their site and I see a notice they are delayed DAYS in shipping because they are changing their system. Um thanks for the notice.... and they said a 6 day delay, it's day 7 and they still have not processed my order. I will NOT be ordering from them again.

jenniferh60
8/11/14

If I could give a negative star I would!! I had ordered a few dresses from ModCloth in hopes of wearing one to an upcoming Awards Ceremony. I just got a notice that due to restructuring of their shipping facility that they will not be able to ship my order in time. There was no notice of this at the time of my order and it should have arrive by now if normal. Ladies be very careful of ordering from ModCloth and they just lost a customer!

cr1447
8/6/14

I recently ordered 5 dresses during their big clearance sale. BIG mistake since I can't return the clearance items. All of the items are very cheaply made and would barely be worth the 70% off prices.. if any of them fit. I ordered everything in the smallest sizes they carry. I'm 5'4" 32B bra, 25" waist, and 35" hips roughly. I checked the sizing chart they provide for each item and according to it all of the items should have fit. Wrong. Only one dress was not too large and it was XXS which is not even on their chart. The busts in all of the dresses were large (I would say you'd need to be a full C or D to flatter) which is not very consistent with a size 0 or XS. The waists were also consistently 2 inches too big or more. 1 in 5 success rate is kind of a bust when the styles I bought usually flatter my frame when ordered from other sites.

beths28
8/1/14

Don't get sucked into this site! Cute clothes of incredibly poor quality, but the worst is the customer service. They say they will return things, but they make it a hassle, delay things, and then only give you store credit that they won't let you use without a million restrictions. Horrible. I have ordered twice and thought the first order was a fluke, but now I am embroiled in yet another battle with modcloth. Stay away!

maggies10
7/23/14

Cute clothes online; some of the outfits are ridiculously pricey, but if you shop around enough on the site, there are a few gems. The shipping experience for me is extremely poor so far. I ordered a dress and shoes, and opted to pay more for faster delivery. I believe it was 4 business days. My order was placed in the morning on the 16th. The shipping confirmation was sent to my email on the 19th stating that the order has shipped for delivery, when in actuality, FedEx didn't even pick it up from their facility until the 21st. Once FedEx had everything in transit, it only took 2 days to arrive in my area. Here it is on the 23rd, and according to tracking, it should arrive today. It took three days for them to even process my order and have it READY to be shipped, were very misleading about when it shipped (waited three more days after parcel was ready for shipment for a FedEx pickup instead of...I don't know...taking it to the shipping center??). So in the time it took them to ready my parcel and wait for someone to pick it up, the extra $$ I paid for express shipping were for naught. I will vouch for FedEx delivery any day, as once they picked up my package, it was quite a quick transit to my area, but ModCloth wasting 6 days to even begin the shipping process is pretty lame. I order online from other retailers quite frequently, and do not run into these issues elsewhere.
I should have read the reviews first, because it seems more people have run into problems than not. I cannot attest to the quality of the items just yet, as I haven't even received them.

I also live in Southern Texas.
And to the reviewer calling out others based on their experiences, it sounds a lot like you WORK for ModCloth, and are trying to discredit the bad reviews here.
Final opinion: For me, the shipping is lackluster, waste of money to choose faster shipping options. I wouldn't outwardly tell anyone to stay away just yet, but I wouldn't exactly reccommend, and I would warn them not to waste money because their shipping is lame.

jennye6
7/21/14

Back in 2013, I placed two orders from ModCloth. Each was processed within 24 hours, and while the quality of the items can be said to be totally lacking, they weren't egregiously expensive. Thus, I wasn't totally turned off and thought it was simply an imperfect major retailer.

In less than one year, everything has worsened in three key ways.

(1) It now takes 3-4 days to even process my order. Then, once processed, it takes 2 days for shipping information to be sent to FedEx (using the not-so "savvy" shipping service). From then it takes 4-9 days to arrive at my home. My items always originate from their Ohio center...strange.

(2) Pricing has increased, and the noticeable mark-ups from vendor pricing on other sites is insulting. Furthermore, quality has somehow decreased in a year! A skirt I bought in 2013 has lasted a year before faltering structurally (and is still usable). A skirt I purchased two weeks ago is very cute, but is already structurally damaged despite washing it per the instructions (I am deciding whether to make alterations to it). I had no desire to return or complain due to reason number (3).

(3) Customer service seems to no longer be a ModCloth priority (if it ever was). Just read the reviews and you will note how the reputation has declined. Returns are no longer free, exchanges are now known to be shady, and there is no compensation for items decreasing in price after a purchase. Yet free returns, fast exchanges, and compensation for price changes are frankly very commonsense business practices. And at this stage, ModCloth is no longer a quirky, small retailer. With revenues in the millions, and notoriety stemming from their approach, they are in the big leagues. Unfortunately, they cannot seem to play like it. What they have learned is to politely claim that they hear your concerns and that all is okay. But you cannot just talk away these issues.

The Take-Away: All in all, I wouldn't purchase from this store. It will take you ions to receive your item, which will most likely be of poor quality (despite being cute), and it will then take ions to return your item (at your own cost). Wait to buy from them until they understand how to operate professionally and promptly, or allow them to spiral into the abyss and spend your money elsewhere.

krist807
7/18/14

I've ordered a few items from ModCloth over the past year and am very disappointed that they got rid of the free return shipping WITHOUT notifying members! They didn't send out an email or even let customers know about this "update" on their website. So now there are shoppers who are thinking they can return an item, but now can't unless they pay $5.99. I used to love this site, but now I won't shop here again. Shame, too, because there were quite a few other items I was going to order.

debg3
7/1/14

The products look cute in pictures but are incredibly poorly made. I mean REALLY poorly made! Customer service representative was unhelpful, sarcastic. I have shopped online for 15 years and have never been as unsatisfied with an experience as I am with ModCloth. I would never use them again, and will never recommend them to anyone.

caitlins2
6/14/14

I really can't fathom how this site has so many good reviews.... you pay $100 for a pair of shoes or a purse that's not leather made out of some disgusting material that smells like plastic, I have ordered 12 different things from shoes, dresses, bags, swimsuits, bras, everything I have ordered has been disappointing except one bra. It takes 2 weeks for anything I order to get here and literally A MONTH to be refunded. Their "details" lie one of my swimsuits said lightly padded, um there wasn't even cups in it like a normal swimsuit it as so cheap and flimsy! Their customer service is absolutely wretched and I am a customer service supervisor. Once I had a $25 off of total order coupon and all swimsuits were on sale %20, note, ALL, and the one I wanted for some reason was the only one not showing up on sale. They offered to give me a %20 off coupon. I said "No, then I cant use my $25 off the swimsuit is supposed to be on sale. Cant you just refund me $13 I would be saving?" They told me they would put in a request about it and were so incredibly rude about it! Your clothes are outrageous already people come on now! I have had nothing but problems with this website.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ModCloth staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Do the clothes look like the pictures when you receive them?
4/5/15
Answer
maddyg2
A: As long as you read the details and know what materials are which you'll be fine.. Make sure you zoom into the pictures too to get a closer look at the material/design.
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the ModCloth staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

1 Coupon for ModCloth

Get $10 off $75+ purchase
Expires: December 30, 2015
Get Deal
No coupon code needed
Shop now at ModCloth to save!
Go to ModCloth