US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

benitag4

So, I am good with the customer service side, and happy as a clam with my gorgeous wardrobe! (in 56 reviews)

ss107

Easy returns, and if you agree to store credit they tack on an extra $5 to your account. (in 10 reviews)

melr17

I've now ordered from Modcloth 3 times in the past month and each order has arrived quickly (4-5 business days). (in 103 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

sarah2658
5/21/16

I genuinely love the clothing design of this company, BUT every single item I've purchased has SHRUNK, either by huge or not so huge amounts (although still noticeably). Even after washing the items on delicate and in cold water, they still shrunk. Which is very maddening since they are not cheap!!! The one tunic I ordered was a flannel type with sleeves that were supposed to button to keep them held up, well one arm was missing the hole for the button!!

sarahh177
5/19/16

I had an order that was mistakenly returned to sender by the USPS. I had 7 conversations with 7 different representatives, who all gave me misinformation. I never once received any communication directly from them and also never received a single piece of the follow up communication that I was promised multiple times after our conversations. A month and a half later, I still made no headway and continued to be misinformed (at best) or misled (at worst) by their workers. I should've asked for a refund from the get-go. Cute clothes, but by NO MEANS worth the headache, if anything goes wrong.

sylviae2
5/12/16

I just received my Sailorette of the Seas Jeans, they are so cute and the fit is perfect. I'm 5'9" 145lbs and bought the size 29, they were long enough.....Yay !!!!!!

jillr42
4/19/16

I've been a ModCloth customer for years. I love their selection, and they have a fair amount of promotions. However, their returns have gotten much, much slowerit takes 3-4 weeks for me to receive my refund once I ship something back, and I don't even receive a confirmation email from them that they've received my shipment. Their CX agents are very friendly, their live chat is great, and their marketing emails are some of the best in the bizhowever, the overpriced, inconsistent-quality clothes and slow shipping and returns makes me think twice about shopping here.

christined46
4/18/16

I absolutely love Modcloth, they have so many unique and adorable products!! You can find anything from retro styled dresses to quirky decor!
The only reason I'm only giving it 4 out of 5 is the shipping took forever and an item or two had some loose threads/stitches, but overall I'm in love!!

sandrad55
4/17/16

Ordered new swimwear and paid almost $35 for expedited shipping to ensure they arrived before I went on holiday. Unfortunately, the useless staff at Modcloth didn't dispatch the item for 3 days, which now means the order will not arrive in time and I've just wasted $200. When I queried why, they could not reasonably explain why it takes 3 days to ship international orders when they can ship US orders the same day. Worst shopping experience ever. I won't be wasting my time and money with them again.

caitlynh3
4/14/16

The one-star reviews baffle me!!
Some of my favorite pieces come from ModCloth. I've been shopping with them regularly for years. As an avid online shopper, I'm also a regular item returner. Although the back and forth shipping with ModCloth can add up, I've always found thier customer service to be **FAR** superior to other online vendors.
I have owned several dresses from ModCloth for many years and I find the quality of the dresses is well aligned with thier prices. They are the same quality you'd exect from a department store - but the designs are unique and beautiful.
Many of my favorite dresses are from ModCloth. I get many compliments on my dresses and I'm always happy to recommend ModCloth.

annab201
4/12/16

I ordered a pair of jeans for 50-ish dollars off this website. Shortly after I started wearing them (I mean one wash and about 3 wears) they started breaking down. They weren't by any means overly tight but the but seam started separating and the elastic started fraying. This was around 3 months after I'd received them so they didn't fall within the window of returns and barely within exchanges. They only gave me a credit back because they'd already received them in the mail, and it was for the cost minus return shipping. It shouldn't matter that they'd been worn, washed, or in my possession for almost 3 months, pants SHOULDN'T BREAK DOWN like that, and any company worth their salt would've done something about it. I reached out to customer service twice and they ignored my complaint. They weren't willing to follow-through on quality control. There are plenty of better places to take your business. If you buy here you could be stuck with a lemon.

joycec34
4/5/16

I used to love shopping at Modcloth, the customer service department was so giving and helpful . I ordered so much from them because of this. Now since they changed their policy, i don't like them anymore. I do order from them every once in a while, but not as often as I did in the past. They used to offer free returns was one of the features that I miss. If i forgot an item in the past on my order, they used to send the item free of charge. These days? no way . so many little things they stopped doing that made a difference.

ac575
4/1/16

I have found some great pieces BUT returns typically take a month to process and the free shipping option can take a solid 2 weeks before you see your items. I've been burned now for items I wanted for Easter and spring break because it's taking so-ooo long.
They have really prompt customer service but what good is it if all they tell you is "yeah it's gonna be awhile". Hire some warehouse/shipping/returns people!

jeny15
4/1/16

Wish I could give 2.5. It's not that they're terrible, because even that would be something. They're just really inconsistent. I ordered 2 items...one looked and fit exactly as I was led to believe from the site; beautiful dress, no complaints whatsoever. The other piece had ratty hems with threads unravelling and hanging off, the color was not the same shade as what was displayed on the site and it was the only red option so it's not like I inadvertently messed up the order. Just not the quality or even the color that I was sold on and the fit wasn't right either.

The same goes with the customer service; one interaction, smooth and friendly. The next time, I got some hateful beast from hell who acted like I was the biggest jerk ever for bothering her.

The clothes are beautiful but I wouldn't order again; I don't feel like the products or service have a consistent standard. Buyer beware.

alisao2
3/29/16

Some clothing have very nice quality, other is made in china and is synthetic. I mostly buy items on sale, since I have to pay international delivery, wich is as illustrated in my photo is not worth 30 plus usd at all. Kudos to Modcloth because they did apologize for how courier treated one of my packages with 10% or 15% discount, however courier FedEx never did. To add to injury courier rigged taxes up so I had to pay additionally to courier and more than I was supposed to. I never had any problems with usps regardless where I shopped.

Tip for consumers: Look for sale, buy 100% cotton or other natural materials. Avoid FedEx for international buyers. Check reviews for sizing, it can be tricky sometimes.

caiyac
3/14/16

ModCloth has such cute pieces, its such a shame I probably will never be shopping with them again. They have a strict return policy (no returns after 30 days) so as soon as I got my item and was unhappy with the fit, I shipped it to be returned. The return label I used took almost a week to get to them. When it was finally delivered to their facility I never received (still haven't) an email saying they were processing my return nor did I get my refund. It's been a week since it was delivered to their facility and I still have yet to receive anything. I contacted customer service trying to get the status of my return but they say it takes an additional 5-7 business days to JUST process. I told the customer service rep that was absolutely ridiculous especially when they have such a strict return policy they expect customers to abide by.In the future, IF I do end up shopping from them again and am unhappy with my purchase I will be better off reselling it on my own. I'm just glad I didn't splurge on the website and am only out about $100.

heidif9
3/13/16

i had a question about a hat size, my email was responded to very quickly. i ordered a sun hat and a dress. both were high quality materials and made very well, packaging was . very unique styles.

kiml72
3/12/16

I have been shopping at ModCloth since 2010 when I ordered a dress for my engagement photo shoot. ModCloth has the sort of clothing that you wear and your friends tell you it is obvious you do not primarily shop at department stores. The quality for the price point is very good in my experience. I still wear that 2010 dress after laundering it (probably improperly on my part) for years and it has held up well.

The household items are very cute and I have ordered them here and there for hostess gifts. They always seem to be a hit as it beats the usual bottle of wine. Additionally, ModCloth has sales where you can get a very nice gift for under $10.

I have found their order fulfillment process to be very speedy. I usually have the item within a matter of days and shipping is not very expensive. Clothing is as-described and have never had to complete a return.

connyv
3/10/16

I recently purchased five dresses from Modcloth in my usual size of XL because the items stated they were "True to Size". Although the items arrived quickly, not a single one fit! I could not get even one of them over my breasts! The same day, I also ordered seven dresses from a different company in my XL size and every single one fit perfectly, no problem. So what's up ModCloth? Your dresses are not made to fit women with breasts? It was a very disappointing experience to say the least.

alexs236
2/29/16

I've been shopping on ModCloth since 2011 and I've always had a good experience. I get a confirmation email with every order minutes after placing it and the tracking details are always accurate, my packages always come when they say they will. Quality of the clothes are also good and the clothes I purchase always look the same in person as they did online.

melr17
2/26/16

I've now ordered from Modcloth 3 times in the past month and each order has arrived quickly (4-5 business days). Just for reference though, I live in New York, so maybe the speed of shipping was very different for the people who complained. The dresses, shoes, and bag I got are exactly as I expected, and I'm really impressed with the quality for the price. Their stuff is adorable and you won't find anything like it anywhere else--believe me, I've looked. I'm going to keep ordering from them for sure.

alisoni1
2/17/16

Before placing my first ModCloth order, I was apprehensive because of the $25 shipping fee. After a comforting conversation with a customer service rep, I decided to go ahead with the order. I now have a slip from Canand Post telling me that there is an additional $40 fee if I want to pick up my item. This is an extremely large extra fee that now makes the dress unaffordable. When I first asked the customer service rep if they shipped to Cananda, they should have let me know about the extra hidden fee. I never would have ordered a $59.99 dress if I knew I'd have to pay $65 in shipping and fees.

julies91
1/23/16

I recently cleaned out my closet, and realized that the pieces I was most likely to keep were many that I bought from Modcloth over the years. The site is great because they have so many pictures of the clothing being modeled by their customers, so it's easier to tell if it's really the garment you love, or just the photo styling.

Secondly, they carry many independent lines, so if you pay attention to the maker of a piece you like, you can often find similar pieces by them again. I found a couple of blazers and dress shapes that I love, and by checking back periodically, I've been able to buy multiples of those over time, in a variety of colors, that work really well for me.

Also, I appreciate that they show separate images of their plus size (or "extended size") garments in the photo selection. We don't have to look at a single image and try to guess how a pattern or design will scale up from the small size depicted: Modcloth will show you directly.

So I look at it as much as a style resource as a clothing shop. It's one of the best sites for functional online clothes shopping, in my opinion. (And though some of their prices are steep, they have a great sale section, and will notify you if something you love goes on sale.)

ag744
1/22/16

I ordered an item from ModCloth and it was my 1st experience buying through this website. Unfortunately I did not like the item that I ordered but I did not want to be discouraged from giving the company another try by returning the item and ordering an alternative. After a week I called to find out what the status of my return was, and instead of getting someone that was helpful and professional, I got someone that was abrupt and keen to cut me off in mid sentence. What made it even scarier was that this person that represented ModCloth was a supervisor (Sam S.)...I'm not happy with my 1st and hopefully last experience with ModCloth and their customer support line. I am a veteran of the Service Industry and sadly this is a perfect senario of losing a new and what would have been a loyal customer.

birgitp
1/18/16

I have bought from Modcloth several times, and have had really good luck ordering clothes. The customer reviews are extremely helpful in knowing if an item runs large or small, and I like the ability for customers to upload photos of themselves in the outfit, so I can see what those clothes look like on real life women instead of models. I haven't had to return anything yet, so I have no experience as far as their customer service is concerned.

beccr
1/13/16

This company has great customer service.

noty2
1/13/16

All of the models are size 2. How can I know what the clothes might look like if the business doesn't represent plus size clothes accurately in any way? Sell size 2 clothes with the size 2 models and leave the fabulous, amazing plus size clothing sales to the professionals who know what they're doing.

makenzij
1/10/16

I love this company! I have been ordering clothes and shoes from them for years and have always had a good experience. The packages always ship fast and I get so many compliments on my clothes. They are a little pricey but have good sales. Plus, their clothes live up to expectation and are usually worth the price. Another good thing is thier customer service. I never dread having to call them with returns or questions because I always have a good experience. The people are genuinely nice a very helpful. They even let me return something that was final sale because it didn't fit and I was a loyal customer.
Modcloth has been and will be my go to online store! I love them!

claires43
12/27/15

Unfortunately one of my items was broken when received, but when I contacted ModCloth, I was blown away about how kind everyone was. Despite my product having a malfunction, the customer service blew me away, hence my review. I will continue to be a customer for this reason. Thank you., ModCloth.

amberm54
12/27/15

I had ordered a small ring holder and when it was delivered someone had stolen it right out of the box. I called and they qere very helpful and immediately shipped a new one and it got to me in 2 days.

arethas1
12/27/15

I have ordered from Modcloth twice and I am very happy with my purchases so far. I have not had to return anything yet, so I can't comment on their return policy. I am satisfied with the quality of the clothes and I've received compliments on them more than once. I highly recommend this site.

emilyr42
12/23/15

Super disappointed in my first (and most likely only) experience with Modcloth. I came to the site to order a few small gifts, as they were offering free shipping with a guaranteed arrival before Christmas. I get an email several days later, saying one of the items I had chosen was no longer available, leaving me very little time to come up with another option. Supposedly, the remaining item is on its way, but clearly not getting here in time to give as a xmas present. Feeling like I made a poor decision in choosing them for my gift list this year :(

marinad4
12/21/15

For my first modcloth order I ordered a 40 dollar sweatshirt and 70 dollar sweater. When they arrived the sweatshirt was slightly see-thru and way too short (for a very short waisted person) I can't imagine what someone with a long torso would do. That one was not soft or warm, wasn't sewn too well (the neckline was uneven) and seemed like the quality you would get at a much cheaper place like forever 21. The sweater was ill fitting and weird, though it was soft it didn't seem durable or worth 70! I've purchased nice durable cotton sweaters at the gap that were less $$. So I returned them, dropped off the return package Dec 3rd, it was the 10th before thier agent picked it up, and it has been in transit for weeks! It is now the 21st and it is still marked as "in transit" Is someone walking it there? Do they use the cheapest shipping service there is?

lauriem41
12/16/15

I still have not received an order I placed on Nov.29. and it is now Dec. 16. I can't review the merchandise as yet. Hopefully, that will be more positive.

sabas4
12/13/15

I ordered two dresses, a jacket, and a few necklaces after checking their return policy which stated free returns. It took almost two weeks to arrive.

Only one dress fit, but did not look good on me. The jacket and the other dress were strangely designed and did not fit. The most shocking were the necklaces, they were tiny and looked more like little girls' cheap jewelry. Given their size, materials, and design they were extremely overpriced. I am returning them all (except one necklace that was a final sale, $6. I will give it to my little daughter, but what a waste!). As it turns out, I do have to pay for shipping so this adventure cost my a total of $12. NEVER AGAIN!

margaretf25
12/11/15

This is a reliable company, prices are very good, but not the cheapest on the net, but you get what you paid for. Good Quality and workmanship. If you see something you like, order it right away as most of the clothing and accessories sell out QUICK. You shipment comes in a cool box, nicely wrapped. When you open it what a happy sight, exactly as shown on the web, I have had so many compliments on the dresses I bought with people asking me "I hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you get that dress, I love it". So Cheers to you ModCloth for making online shopping a happy experience.

sonyaa4
12/8/15

my daughter & i have ordered several items from MC w/absolutely NO issues w/returns or refunds.

who are these people writing these poor reviews??? could it be their competition? if not, give MC another try. i think you'll be completely satisfied.

chocod1
12/7/15

First, I wished I thought to read some reviews first. I found the store and loved the clothes, and bought a huge order.

There was a problem with the shipping (they told me that customers regularly have to confirm their order with UPS, but have no space on their order form for a phone number so this is just a trap they like to use) and by the time I contacted their customer "care" (5 days after receiving an email) they said there was nothing they could do, and would be happy to refund my order.

I was happy to pay shipping costs again to at least have my items, but they said they couldn't process that. I wasn't even allowed to place the same order again because the items weren't in stock. The hell? You have THOSE EXACT ITEMS ALREADY PACKED UP AND READY TO GO. They've already been returned to the warehouse, I already confirmed with UPS you pricks.

Then I get my refund, but shipping costs (+extra) are deducted from the refund.

Contacted their customer care on several occasions to see if things could be made right, but all I got were a bunch of jerks who end their emails with smiley faces like it makes them a better business.

NOT RECOMMENDED.

vivianc32
11/24/15

This site has some great retro/vintage style dresses. Unfortunately, they have a restrictive return policy. After 90 days you can't even get store credit. Most sites are much more open.

benitag4
11/20/15

For some reason, the dress is just not happening in the mall. I never see cute, vintage, well-fitting dresses in my size that don't cost an arm and a leg. The stuff out there is just bleh. Then, somehow, doing a search online for "vintage, plus sized" I came across ModCloth and BOOM! Revelation! I am no longer frumpy, bumpy, boyish, ill-fitted and colorless. My new mojo image is feminine but strong, witty, bright, fun, curvy and sassy! People say "I want to raid your closet". The funny thing is that even my regular wardrobe looks fresh now that I have these awesome ModCloth go-to dresses. I would say there is not a day that goes by without a compliment. And, heck, that's nice. Absolutely everything I have bought (4 cardis and about 22 dresses) fits perfectly, launders well and looks amazing!
ModCloth even sent me a coupon code to use on a future purchase because I hit buy a little too quickly one time before entering a discount code. So, I am good with the customer service side, and happy as a clam with my gorgeous wardrobe! Opening a ModCloth box is just too wonderful. If folks are scared about buying online, please don't be! Read the measurements carefully, and the other customer reviews, understand the material and care required, and, don't buy before you double check the order.
I suppose if you don't know what looks good on you, you are better off at the mall. But, if you want to save money and time and have something not every teenager is buying at Target, shop ModCloth. You sassy gal, you!

victoriac32
11/13/15

I had a coat in my cart, $204.00, and was waiting for a sale. I found out on Tuesday from my daughter that she got an Email that coats were on sale on Monday for 15%. I never got the email about the sale but kept getting emails to hurry and buy the coat because I left something in the cart. The next day I got one about shoes being on sale, they were running weekly special each day. I communicated back and forth with customers service and asked if they would honor the sale even though it was Tues. They offered what they thought was a generous 10%. I said you mean to tell me you cannot honor the 15% for one day. Every excuse, the answer was no. He gave me a coupon code for 10%. On Wed. I ordered the coat as a present, mainly because it was the last one with the wonderful gift of 10%. Now today the I got an email offered 20%. Ya I called back an got this sweet as sugar girl on the phone that would not make the adjustment. I asked for a manager and sugar said well good luck hope she can help. I was put on hold for a long time so sugar could tell the manager the story. The manager comes on to act like she knows nothing about the situation but as we spoke I know she had it relayed to her. I asked if she could give me credit in my account for when I buy something else, the answer was....you can give two discounts on the same purchase. She said I could send the coat back, of course I have to pay shipping and they I would have to order another one today at the 20% off. Okay how is that saving anything. Would you not think if they gave me a credit in my account, that I would buy something else and spend more money. You can call any store and they would be happy to help their customers, Travel Smith, Penney's, Macys. NOT MODCLOTH

Tip for consumers: Most of the clothes are nice that my daughter or myself ordered are nice but the service is bad.

meld11
10/15/15

I bought 9 items from this place in April. Four of them have holes. Horrible quality for over priced clothes.

janem64
10/10/15

Love this site. It's hard to find fair trade-made in USA clothing and ModCloth has a seperate section for all clothes made in USA. My items were reasonably priced, shipped very fast, and I have been very pleased with my cool and unique items. Have ordered from them a handful of times and plan on going back.

lanab3
10/2/15

In a nutshell, I <3 modcloth! I regularly buy my clothes from this site. I recently bought a dress that did not fit. I returned it and 4 months later hadn't been refunded. Turns out modcloth didn't get the package either so maybe fedex lost it. Anyway, the rep I spoke with was understanding and kind, and refunded me anyway (maybe I lost a few bucks in the return process, but hey). Good customer service and awesome clothing. I highly recommend.

laurena14
9/26/15

I spent a week with a customer support rep telling me lies!!!!!! Your company is only as good as the people who work there. Putting a smiley face at the end of every sentence does not equal good customer service. Don't bother.

tigerg1
9/10/15

Their clothes are adorable but beware: if you need to return something it takes FOREVER.

rachell98
9/3/15

I'm completely disappointed with Modcloth lately. Sometimes when a person contacts a rep about a problem, they would like to feel like they are being heard. BUT, lately, I am not being heard. No "I'm sorry, that sucks." OR "I completely understand, I would be frustrated too." An apology or a bit of empathy would go a LONG way, Modcloth.

annar68
9/2/15

I've shopped and returned items to ModCloth before and now they claim to have free exchanges and returns, but read the small print ... they charge a shipping fee for returns ... why bother shopping online if you have to pay to return an item, just go to a store ...

cathyr20
8/31/15

Their customer service is excellent. Fast, helpful, friendly, human.

maddyg2
8/10/15

I love this site! The clothing actually fits nicely, and it isn't aimed towards the stick population. (even tho I guess I qualify as a stick lol) Everything is so cute and flattering. I know they have a ton of retro styled clothing, but I have found SO many cute things on there that are modern and fresh.
And it's not just their clothing, shoes, accessories, etc.. IT'S THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE! It is by far, THE BEST customer service I've ever gotten. I really respect ModCloth for allowing customers to review their items and share opinions. This really helps decide what to buy. I ordered a pair of sandals with a bunch of jewels on them and the jewels fall off.. I reviewed them and got 25% of the price of the shoes back on my credit card and 20% off my next purchase!! They really value customer feedback which makes the customer feel valued and that their money hasn't gone to waste.

Love ModCloth forever <3

caryd6
8/3/15

I have not received a dress I bought almost two weeks ago. And it has just been sent from Modcloth to FedEx. Which will then get transferred to USPS. There is no way I will get my dress by Thurs, which is when I need it by. Ordering over tow weeks in advance should be more than enough time to receive an order. The story given by Modcloth is they were in the middle of a software update. They have done nothing to offer a faster shipping method or a refund so I could buy a dress elsewhere. So now I'll have no new dress for my trip. So long, Modcloth.

staceyd19
7/31/15

I won't be ordering from them again. Took them over a week and a half to ship my order and wouldn't let me cancel my order either when it was their fault my package wouldn't be arriving before I had to move back to school. Still don't know what I'm doing about that. Poor customer service with problem solving, like maybe change my address since you haven't even shipped it after almost 2 weeks? Nope no help.

hale68
7/30/15

Highly recommended. I've ordered from ModCloth a few times in the past and have always received satisfactory service. I promptly got whatever cute clothes I ordered. Everything also seemed well-made and in good condition.

In my last order, however, one item came with a significant defect. As soon as I contacted customer service and explained the problem, I was shipped a new item free of charge! They seemed helpful, apologetic and kind, especially compared to other companies I've dealt with in the past.

5 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ModCloth staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question