US Government's NSF
SiteJabber for Business

50 Reviews for Maxmyspeed.com

Review Highlights

I downloaded the free trial, and it found lots of stuff on my computer.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

12/10/13

this website and software is a virus stay away from it! it is a scam and it will want you to pay alot Just like the other scam i heard about My"clean"pc they are both just viruses and i would recommend you to just get ccleaner or malwarebytes Dont Get Anything else!

Veteran Reviewer
11/23/13

stay away and don't install this software.

Go to google.com and type either of these
+Doublemyspeed.com +scam
+maxmyspeed.com +scam
in the search box:

(leave the plus symbols, they make sure those keywords are included in the search)

In this case over 10,000 results, and lots of bad reviews!

"DoubleMySpeed.com Scam"

DoubleMySpeed.com Review - YouTube scam

UPDATED: Beware of MyCleanPC.com and DoubleMySpeed.com

Is doublemyspeed.com a safe download? - Microsoft Community
"Beware of MyCleanPC.com and DoubleMySpeed.com"

11/23/13

QUACKERY!!! I knew there was something fishy about this company when I had to call a different number to get an "activation code". Not only that, an old lady reading a script tried to get me to buy some BS tech service for $199 then just dropped it to $99 after I didn't "sound" interested. I was NEVER interested, I just wanted to see if $19.99 would actually make my computer faster. LoL From the fake scan screens they put on your computer to make you think you have a lot wrong to the lady's fake reactions when I told her how many errors showed up on my screen. Geez, I can't even believe I let her talk that long. I didn't really feel like being rude to an old lady so I let her finish her shotty pitch and immediately uninstalled the 2 programs and called to cancel the service. My advice to you, is not sign up if you get to read this first and if you've already signed up, don't ask for the $19.99 back or he'll make your life miserable. Then, of course, save the cancellation email they send you.

10/29/13

Same company as "mycleanpc.com". Same scam! STAY AWAY! Steals from people who do NOT know any better! Take your computer somewhere you can talk to someone face to face or buy another computer! All the money that they will swindle from you-your better off buying a new pc literally!

10/27/13

the best site to have for all information on online speed

7/10/13

The initial "FREE" exam allows them access to your credit card number. Believe me they will find that very useful after they start charging you every month for their services. Of course you did not order those services but they do not care. I am constantly calling my credit card company to reverse the charges and regularly, they reappear. I finally changed my credit card number to stop them. These people are doing this legally, but morally wrong. They must be penalized for the ripoff they are giving to ordinary people. I will use the means available to stop them.

7/8/13

I was charged 470.58 for a one year renewal. IT WAS DONE AUTOMATICALLY, WITCH I DIDN'T AUTHORIZE!!!! If you have this program keep close watch on your bank statement. They will try to cheat you!!!!!

11/17/12

stupid

11/5/12

We used it for our home computer, and their live tech support was terrific. Cleaned up our computer, and it's running much faster now.

10/2/12

This company will take a big sh*t on your computer's OS and then offer to wipe it up. They of course keep their own malware on your PC so that they at any time can claim there is a problem so they can charge you more money.

8/2/12

I have been scammed by this company - at least that is my perception. I had dbl my speed (which worked great) and time came up to renew. When I clicked the renew button, somehow maxmyspeed page kept coming up vs dbl my speed - somehow I got renewal charges on both now - $39.99! Max my speed is SUPER slow - takes a good 20 min to scan and do a clean up, where as dbl my speed was just a few minutes. Not sure how this bait and switch happened and I will contact whomever regulates this...but now I have to make more calls or send emails to get this rectified. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MAXMYSPEED.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/10/12

Immediately after they finished with my machine I began receiving spam, so much so that my ISP shut down my email.This company will "scan" your files but I suspect they are actually down loading them. They will try to sell you a monthly service and about all that is done for your computer is a standard defrag. I would suggest changing passwords if you have let them into your machine. For this "service" you will be billed $39.95. I strongly suspect fraud and phishing are the real goals of this "company".

3/19/12

I loaded the trial program to scan my computer and it said I had 37,000 errors! How can you trust a whopper like that? If they had said a reasonable number I might have believed it. I passed over it without buying - apparently they believe that the bigger the lie, the better.

1/12/12

You guys totally rock! I was watching the commercial and since my computer was running slow, I decided to check it out. As it was downloading to my computer, I noticed that it said "CyberDefender" and got curious, so I opened a separate window and typed in "maxmyspeed complaints" and found this place. I immediately stopped the download and used CCleaner instead. Thank you for keeping me from a big headache!

11/21/11

BEWARE of sites like these advertised on TV. I've been dealing with unfortunate people who has tried these fraudulent softwares that are the problems to begin with.

7/21/11

I purchased the 2 yr program where their tech can fix any problem on your computer. Well they can't and actually made my computer worse. When i asked for a full refund they told me i wansn't elligible although the site says full refund within 30 days. Now, after several months of being paid in full they charged me $173 saying i hadn't paid. They are not a credible company. Please stay away from them

7/8/11

Your site is fantastic. Your employee, Harry - badge # 25266, was most courteous when I called in for help. Even though his information was not what I wanted to hear (that my computer is almost defunct) his judgement and expertise were most helpful in my decision making. Great work all around!!! Carter Boardman

4/27/11

This is the bait and switch scam. Start with $29 and end up with $300. I paid and it did not help. I demanded my money back and they said they would credit my account, still waiting to confirm. Don't use this site, it sucks.

4/24/11

I checked out the free scan for a friend with a slow computer.
On all subsequent boot ups - I get the ad.
Worse... I fly MS Flight Simulator-X.
This thing just pops up in the middle of a flight... and bye-bye flight.
Worse even more... try to uninstall.
Box pops up saying it's running... do you want to stop it to de-install ?
Nothing.
Found out the computer goes in to a loop.
50% CPU to a task called KILL..somrthing.
Right click on that on Task Manager and End Process...
Finally,... GONE !

4/20/11

Nothing less then a switch and bait promotion Installed this so called free trial program only to find out that its impossible to REMOVE.

After 6 E Mails three calls with some half assed direction almost 50% done now I am getting bombarded with POP UPS and adversiment NOW ABSOLUTELY FREE

My computer is slower then ever and pray GOD that once again I can get it back where it was before.

4/4/11

Bought into program for my personal PC. 2 days later I couldn't open any internet connections. Called tech help. They got in and said that I had a MALWARE virus.
I didn't have it 2 days ago. They want $250.00 to fix it. I think they put it there.
I had a local guy come in a reload my system for $100.00. Works great now.
Stay away from maxmyspeed.

3/26/11

I love how the paid actors state how their computers are 100% more secure and twice as fast now. If they were ignorant enough to buy this product then how in the hell would they know if it was 100% more secure or twice as fast as it was before buying MaxMySpeed?

This product is just like how an unethical mechanic would make money off of unsuspecting or ignorant car owner. They find problems that really aren't problems and drum up the total risks found. Just because your windshield wiper is a few days old doesn't mean you need to replace it! Just because your car has a few waterspots on it and some road dust doesn't mean it needs a claybar treatment, hand washed, and hand waxed for $250.00. Following me???

I have a degree in computer science from Millersville University (in Lancaster, PA) and have been in the web development and software design industry for 6 years. I have been repairing and upgrading computers for 11 years. I made a living off of fixing windows 98 and windows XP systems while going to college. I know what I'm talking about.

This is a waste of money! Take some time to look into AVG. It is free and easy to install and configure. If you can't do it, just ask any teenager with a smartphone to help you. Kids today are brilliant with computers and they all could use an extra $20 tip for helping you out! Or, email your local university's computer science or technology department. They often post the emails to the students and love assisting their communities for FREE! Good luck!

Shawn Englerth
www.tidalpages.com
www.tidalcoders.com

3/17/11

They lead you to beieve they will clean your computer for free. They load their program on your computer, put icons on your desktop, scan your computer, then give you a bill to pay to fix anything. Waste of time.

3/1/11

I have noticed there commercials a few times and since my computer has been acting up I finally called. Next thing I knew, remotely they had repaired my PC and it now runs awesome!!!!!
I found it surprising effective and well worth the money!

2/22/11

A friend recommended this site for my computer issues so I gave it a try and was rewarded. My computer was so slow I thought it was trash. However maxmyspeed remote techie was able to access my computer and remove all it's viruses. Now it's running like new and I'm thrilled.
A slow computer is ridiculously inefficient and now mine is speedy and not draining my time.
If your PC is slow I highly recommend this company!

2/9/11

Placed my order-instructed to call # ,turns out to be a chance for them to sell
me a package for $300.00-what a ripoff-no speed diff in my comp

1/31/11

My computer was running very slow. Went to website for advertised "Free Diagnosis". So I followed directions for "free download" . Instructions of software to run a scan for errors showed something like 800 errors. So I'm directed to activate the software which costs me $ 54.67 in order to correct errors then I was connected with a tech which kept telling me how bad my errors were and he didn't know if they could fix them or not but he would put me on hold and talk to another tech. Of course he came back to advise me they could fix it but the price would be 299.99. I became very suspicious by now and declined. So now after taking over my computer for 15 minutes or so I don't know all they did to it but I'm going to have to take it to a real tech & get it fixed. I'm also going to dispute the $54.67 with my credit card company . My recommendation is to stay from this site!

1/13/11

BEWARE!!! This is a complete scam ripoff!! Nightmare...paid $199.95 for cleaning a supposed "virus". Made my computer worse, had to do system restore. STAY FAR AWAY!!!

1/5/11

I bought the Max My Speed software for $20 dollars and what a nightmare ripoff!!! After having to have a "technician" install it he informed me that I would have to spend another $199 dollars to fix the problems I have .After informing the online rep that I didn't want to pay that he immediatley hung up on me!!! I then closed the software only to have my computer restart ITSELF in safe mode and now my media files say they won't play because they are corrupted or missing,there is no sound, my desktop is black,my internet protected mode is off, and they put me on hold or disregard my phone calls to have them fix it.Gosh I sure should have checked this site beforehand.DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR COMPUTER! IT WILL GIVE YOU MORE PROBLEMS THAN YOU HAD! Before all I had was slow page loading and slow email ,none of these other major problems.I believe their rationalle is to mess up your computer and then hope you will pay to have them fix the problems they created.What a ripoff!!!I am so upset and being a novice I do not know what to do.

12/20/10

This web site is truly a scam, you pay for the clean up; however, after yo pay you get a message to call a phone number to activate at that time you get a person that takes control of your computer, who knows less about cleaning a computer than I do and I know very little, after thirty minutes or so they tell you that your computer has more problems than they can fix; therefore, you will need a level three tech, and a level three tech will cost $599.00 after i explained that I certainly would not pay that kind of money to clean a six year old computer that cost $500.00 then. She finally found a clean up for only $399.00 then one for $299.00 after I refused all of the above she said that there was not anything that she could do. I recommend that everyone stay clear of this web site. Dale Brown

11/25/10

Beware of this company. I did purchase the software for 19.99, then had to call to activate it which seemed very odd. When I called I got a tech on the line who remoted into my PC. The blantant lies were hard to believe. The tech indicated I had a very nasty virus that had disabled my Norton AntiVirus program (totally not true).
While he was remoted in, he kept pulling up reports that were obviously pdf files, and insisting that I was infected with a identify theft program. He then had to consult with a Tier 2 technician saying they were afraid to work on my computer since the virus could harm their computers. After the consultation they decided they could remove the virus for 299.99. I declined. I then contacted both Norton and HP who both assured me I had no such virus. I was relatively sure I didn't have one but wanted to double check. The deceptive practices were beyond belief. On a good note, the program did find 417 registery errors and I used the program to remove them, which resulted in increased speed to my PC.

11/24/10

A complete piece of junk.. thank god I am only out 19.99 ... didn't fall for all the other pre-checked options.

11/21/10

I downloaded "free" software Max my Speed website to check for errors, then was directed to go online and purchase software for $54.95 (not a bad price). Software wouldn't work until I called to "activate" it and had to speak with a representative that informs me that I have a virus and 1123 errors. She further informs me that only a special tech can repair and that after he was done I would have a "brand new" computer again. The next day after the tech was supposed to be finished, I had all the same errors, viruses and computer didn't run any faster and I had just put out $389.00 for all that. I sent numerous emails for someone to answer all my questions and didn't get any response. The next day I called and canceled my subscription but only got $200.00 refund...huge rip off. I then went to CNET and downloaded a program that only costs me $48.00 and it worked flawlessly and my computer works like "brand new". The software I purchased the second time is: Registry Mechanic 10.0.132

11/6/10

TV ads and website claim it removes malware, viruses etc.. However it does the exact opposite.

Had several programs monitoring what maxmyspeed does and was doing.. Several trojans and various adware were installed onto my computer.

Save yourself the trouble, get something trustworthy like AVG free, etc.

10/3/10

This is nothing more thatn any other software can provide.
Go to the pro's. Stick with the ones you trust. Buy a subscription to AVG, <-- The best or McAfee and many others. Of course you will also need the complete protection. Look at Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic and many others that will help and keep you running the way your computer should. Or.. Buy a Mac :(
But what I am saying is NOTHING IS FREE.
A good start is AVG and PCTOOLS.com.

10/2/10

They did not fix my problem,it got worse.My hard drive crashed while I was on-line with tech support.When I told them I wanted to cancel the service they told me they would credit my card.A few days later after contacting them again,they told me I had been credited.They billed my card 299.95 and when I call them they say an account manager will call to correct the problem.They don't call.

9/28/10

Maxmyspeed.com simply sells a registry cleaner, which in most cases isn't going to double the speed of your computer. There are many free solutions to these problems

Registry Cleaner - http://amltools.com
Anti-Virus - http://www.avast.com Free Version
Spyware - http://www.safer-networking.org Spybot S & D Teatimer is good :)
Root Kit - Combofix from bleepingcomputer.com and GMER from GMER.net
Malwarebytes.org with the quick scan is great too

9/21/10

MaxMySpeed fixed my computer, took about 4-5 hours, found many errors, viruses, malware, that was making my 3 year old laptop freeze up. I have had Norton, McAfee, Spy Doctor, and other free anit-viruses, but apparently the virus I had was not letting them work. They also replaced my Windows Vista with Windows 7. Maybe my computer was beyond repair of the other online fixes, but what MaxMySpeed did, it worked, and they will be available for further problems it encounters.

9/19/10

Download superantispyware.com. The free version is absolutely FREE. Along with ccleaner, it's all you need. FREE FREE FREE!!!

9/11/10

I was personal witness to the true EVIL of this POS product when called in to help a all-too-typically computer illiterate consumer. I had run the most current AVG Rescue CD on his PCas a free virus detection-and-removal introductory service, and discovered he had one real yet no-real-big-deal GameVance-delivered Trojan, which was easy enough to wipe out, and the rest of the issues were minor cookies, which are generally accepted anymore. Unfortunately, he had previously bought into the fancy {Max|Double}MySpeed.com TV and radio advertisements to the tune of ordering a $60 "Virus Detector" CD, ran it on his PC after I was done, and pointed at its "findings" . We were already somewhat at odds with each other at that point, so after every web link from CyberDefender's site showed us an opportunity to spend no less than $300 for the product to eliminate the viral instances, I recommended he and I put their Tech Support to the test, but somehow we must've been cross-channelled over to the SALES department, because the rep ALSO only gave links to purchased product solutions. I expressed my sorrow at his being duped, and felt better that I was at least instrumental later in coordinating with the Telco Tech getting their Telco-initiated internet and wireless outage restored (the Telco had detected the aforementioned Trojan, and froze their rented router). I vowed after that experience that I would warn EVERYONE for whom I provided computer services of the "Cyber Snake Oil" represented by {Max|Double}MySpeed.com . BTW, same deal, same CyberDefender leeches with MyCleanPC.com. ANYONE who reports "No Problem" with their product is a "plant" ! Too much perfectly good, even FREE for private use AV product out there versus throwing your money away on them, e.g., routinely updated AVG, IObit Security 360, AntiVir,Avast, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,etc., i.e., ANY AV solutions available from http://www.filehippo.com . I also recommend running latest Firefox release with Add-on "Web of Trust" (aka "WOT") ...you would not BELIEVE the "roach" sites that are exposed in the light of this Community view of web sites. In the words of Sergeant Stan Jablonski of Hill Street Blues : "Let's be careful out there!"

9/8/10

I downloaded it last night, ran the scan (scam), and paid the money. After a couple of hours of dubious "results", and supposed things happening, I had to reboot the computer, which also took a long time. My computer doesn't run one bit faster today than it did yesterday. I would not recommend it, nor will I renew it. RHH

8/7/10

Same problems as most people.

My solution was to reload my operation system.

I purchased "PANDA ANTI VIRUS."

Get it on line protects all three of my computers and cost under $20,
Mail order.

8/6/10

Scam, scam, scam. This is the third time I've seen this web site advertised only under a different name. Goto their web sit and get your computer scanned. They will find hundred of problems. Funny, I ran this on my system with a totally fresh Operating System install. On top of that, their "notification" will get in your face untill you clean up the mess they have created.

6/18/10

Funny, even my computer said ...to down load their crap... "may harm your computer". The last two scams like this one, [same" cyberdefender corp"] I put on a fresh reload computer to test its claims with no problems or web usage on the computer, and it still showed some 300 "errors" to which the known company "NORTON" Windoctor said the computer was fine, and my Legit AV soft ware keeps showing "no problems". I have repaired dozens of computers this year that made this mistake, and then using a LEGIT AV company fixed the actual problems [mostly Cybers malware] and yes it costs around the same price, but over all it costs a far less than Cyberdefender because it actually fixes the real problems, including their installation.

5/25/10

First of all, a legitimate security program will not hide its name. The name of this software is actually "CyberDefender". Any legitimate product would advertise its name, not hide behind a bunch of fake looking accolades as is found on this website.

I used Sandboxie to securely visit this website as well as to install their software into a sandboxed environment that would not allow it to cause harm to my PC. My anti-virus software was quickly triggered during the "CyberDefender" installation.

The "scan" itself tossed up a bunch of nonsense. It was unable to access my PC, so its 233 "problems" were nothing but messages saying that certain information in the registry didn't exist. Of course it exists, it just can't access it.

Lastly, this program is nothing more than a registry cleaner that produces a list of dubious results and then charges you to "fix" them. If you want FREE, trusted software to clean your registry then search Google for CCleaner.

4/14/10

WHEN I DIDN'T SUBSCRIBE TO THEIR WEBSITE THEIR ADS KEPT POPPING UP INTERUPTING MY COMPUTER. I HAD TO HAVE A PROFESSIONAL COME IN TO TAKE THEIR ADS OFF.

EXPERT
3/6/10

Apparently this website is questionable. If you need to SPEED UP your computer, then go to www.ccleaner.com (see my review).

If you have VIRUS problems, then you need anti-virus software. There are no FREE programs like that, but the best one I have found for the money is AVG (www.AVG.com). It's less than Norton and I like it better.

Those are 2 different problems...registry cleaning for speed, and anti-virus software.

3/6/10

Doesn't work. I have a trojan virus and this product didn't get the job done. I contacted their tech support and they could not help. The claims they make in their advertisement ("don't buy a new computer, buy this product")are false. Doesn't work.

EXPERT
2/22/10

Another "anti-malware" site that has a bunch of what look to be fake accreditation images (ie, why are the CNET and USAToday images not links to the real stories). I would be careful....

2/22/10

I downloaded the free trial, and it found lots of stuff on my computer. Had to pay to get is off, but everyone has to make a buck and I felt the $40 was worth it. I have had the product about 3 months now, and no problems. Really it is more a malware remover, very easy to use and better for the non-technical user, but it did make my system more stable (donesnt crash anymore) and I think it boots faster. Anyways it is a good program and easy to read site.

The Best Anti Spyware Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber