US Government's NSF

earlm28

51 Reviews for Guruaid.com

▼ Sort by: recent

4/13/14

Called AVAST for technical support. Operator answered stating 'Guru AID'. I asked if this was Avast and they said they could help. Unfortunately allowed them access to computer. After an hour they hit me with charges to clean up computer. I said no, all I wanted was the Avast fixed. They continued to try and I again said I would not purchase their package, I purchased Avast for two years and they should fix the problem free. Then obtained phone number for Avast and they fixed the problem with Avast on my computer. It sounds like they now have all of the information I had on my computer. What a SCAM.

Expert Reviewer
4/12/14

Avoid tech support scams - Why would anyone allow a website other than an "official software distributor/company" "remote" access to their computer??

hxxp://GuruAid.com - an Indian outsourced technical support service company, an affiliate/owned service from hxxp://lesterinc.com

Sites has numerous internet reviews/complaints saying they are engaged in the selling or distribution of bogus or fraudulent applications (which they install/infect your computer with through remote desktop), then they find hundreds/thousands of things wrong with your computer (which they installed), then charge you a fee/subscription to fix them. Most of which can be fixed/prevented for "Free" just by "searching the problem"!

BBB Internet Complaint Information for hxxp://GuruAid.com:

"GuruAid advertises computer support services on popular online search engines like Google where, for example, its prominently featured links entitled “Customer Service for AVG” or "Support for Trend Micro" appear directly beneath the link to AVG's and Micro Trend's websites. BBB has received ongoing customer complaints stating that the composition of such ads is deceptive, as it misleads consumers into believing they are being connected to the computer or software manufacturer’s site when, in fact, they are directed to the website of GuruAid."

BBB's final comment after contacting the company to have the BBB complaints resolved - "Despite changes the company has implemented, complaints to BBB have not declined"

From the Microsoft forum:

Hoaxes and scams - "GuruAid is NOT the Official Microsoft Support no matter what they claim."

Scams that use Microsoft’s name or product names. Phishing scams often include the names of well-known companies to convince you to visit spoofed Web sites or click on dangerous links.

They represent themselves as Microsoft support and charge for a subscription. Use logmein to "fix" the computer and load it up with malware and then charge you to fix it.

They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license. Once they have access to your computer, they can do the following:

◾Trick you into installing malicious software that could capture sensitive data, such as online banking user names and passwords. They might also then charge you to remove this software.
◾Take control of your computer remotely and adjust settings to leave your computer vulnerable.
◾Request credit card information so they can bill you for phony services.
◾Direct you to fraudulent websites and ask you to enter credit card and other personal or financial information there.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently - Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls or emails to help you fix your computer:

You can also check their site rating here: http://hosts-file.net/?s=guruaid.com

4/12/14

BEWARE!!!!!!!!
I get annoyed at people that fall for obvious scams but i fell for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Norton protection was playing up and i thought i was calling Norton with my issues but nooo it was these scammers.Anyway thinking am through to norton and guru are who they use for technical issues i allowed them remote access of my PC.Whilst remotely accessing my PC there were certain issues i was not to happy with but let go due to the fact that i thought i was dealing with Norton.
Anyway to cut long story short as soon as i was able to gain access to the internet i looked these folk up and panicked at the reviews.Seeing as i was now able to go online i actually got through to the real folk at Norton and explained and asked if these people were anything to do with them which of course they replied no to and gave me a reference number to state once i had contacted my bank to delete cards etc.I have managed to cancel cards thankfully but unfortunately their fraud department is shut for the night so will have to try again tomorrow to try to cancel the payment.
PLEASE DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH GURU.
They are scammers and i am amazed that they are still able to function online as such.
I am very up on scammers but this one seemed so legit as in i thought i was calling Norton.

Do not be fooled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am posting this review in the vain hope that it will save at least one person being scammed by them.

3/16/14

It was great the gentleman that fixed my computer worked about 2 hrs. He was very knowledgeable and I had no problems. Session was very long but worth it.

1/19/14

I had such good service by guruaid that I extended another year. They are prompt and online remote access combined with chat is very effective and convenient. One time I was in Asia with no phone access but was still able to get my problems solved. Different technicians have different skill sets, they could be more uniform, some tend to want to eliminate all default programs, others target specific possible program corruptions-thus rate 4 stars. But the bottom line is my PC works again and with better efficiency.

1/12/14

I had a very bad experience with this company. Right now I'm trying to cancel my credit cards so they can't get into my accounts. Has anyone had this problem with them? Please let me know

12/1/13

I called looking for someone to speak with that deals with McAfee. I recently paid for the software thinking that it would resolve some issues but it did not. I notified the representative that this was my purpose for calling. She then told me they do not do the refunds part but could transfer me to someone who could help. She placed me on hold momentarily and said she could get the process started. My computer was acting up and the desktop was not loading so she walked me through the steps.

Once getting to my desktop she told me to go to internet explorer and type in "remote.guruaid.com"
The website looked fishy to me and then I started thinking.... 'why in the hell does she need to access my computer' and 'didnt she say that she doesnt even deal with the refunds.'
I kept trying to tell her that I would have to call back tomorrow because my computer was taking forever to reboot. She kept insisting she would wait on the line (which was also very strange). She placed me on hold again and I decided to Google the company. I found all these bad reviews about how its a scam and hung up the phone. She tried to call back and I did not answer. Hopefully they do not call back and I am so glad that I didnt give them any access!

Lesson Learned: Always look at reviews before talking to an unknown company!

11/12/13

This is the first thing that comes up under a search for "Itunes customer service" DO NOT CALL THEM! I asked them for a refund on an app that was a mistake that I had purchased and they tried to convince me that my IPad had a virus on it that it had recieved through my home wi-fi connection!!!!! They offier me a monthly package of $50 a month to install "lock software" on my IPad. No way! I received an actual phone number from the Apple helpdesk at https://getsupport.apple.com, and they were wonderful, they called me in a matter of minutes and were able to walk me through the steps in the settings with no charges..... it's a miracle!

11/11/13

I contacted who I thought was MacAfee to sort a refund on my autorenewal and got these guys. All they were bothered about was accessing my computer. When I queried why they need to do this, they said it was so they could sort the refund out. I explained I am a financial adviser with many client details on my system so under data protection rules, I couldn't do this, I again asked why they needed to access my laptop to sort a refund, surely all that was required was my ref. number and they can put the money back into my paypal account, at this they disconnected the call. I called MacAfee direct who told me they have NO AFFILIATON with MacAfee at all........
Absolutley, do not trust these guys at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/4/13

I thought I was working with McAfee to resolve a problem with the virus installation.
Next thing I know .I have a Guruaid on line trying to sell me a service contact. Who are these guys and are they to be trusted to take over my computer?

10/30/13

Cousin called up the guruaid guys saying screen was fuzzy and the system was behaving all weird n slow. They fixed it like new. Till date, there are no problems. Very happy…

10/7/13

This is a complete scam. AVOID AT ALL COSTS, unless you want all your bank and credit card info stolen. Don't pay attention to any of the reviews, they are all spam and untrue, and they were all done by the person. FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!!!!

8/10/13

This company is a piece of Sh-t. The only thing they are competent at is lying and stealing your money! This company is the lowest form of competence, lower than whale sh-t and that lays on the bottom of the ocean! If you really want pain and suffering take a hammer and hit yourself in the head.

7/2/13

From beginning to end my representatives were polite, efficient, professional, and effective. I highly recommend Guruaid.com. Amit Pawar was the same.

4/6/13

guruaid has done execellent job forme and fixed my problems in a very professional way
mausami nath had done good job for me

4/1/13

My computer was totally useless . I called guruaid and they fixed it for me and I have not had any issues since. Great job by your team
Mausami nath

3/30/13

as very good . The gentleman was professional and seemed to do a quality job''J Gulick
mausami nath

3/28/13

My experience was fine. Just couldn't use my printer when complete.

3/27/13

guru aid provides patient service and solves problems. santosh is a courteous and efficient contact

3/27/13

willing to help and fixes problems for awhile, it does not stay fixed

3/27/13

Excellent service. All the reps are very, very patient and helpful. What I especially like is the follow-up. Once the chat is finished, they don't just disappear, but call back in a few days to see how things are going. Great customer service in a time when that is not so common.

3/26/13

Tec's are very courteous and knowledgable and patient. They keep working with the problem until it is resolved to my satisfaction. I appreciate that all very much

3/25/13

From the time that I first was introduced in the staff at Guru.com time I found them to be courteous, knowledgeable, and friend. Prior to coming to Guru I had experienced a computer problem with around 30 days without success. As a result of using Guru each of my computer issue has been addressed.

3/25/13

the times i have had with a computer that's almost ten years old were trying until i hooked up with GURU. the techs here have clicked in in the issues with good results and left my mind -at ease. let me also say they were very polite and quick to resolve the issue-

3/23/13

The issue was taken care of in a previous call. This time I had to call in to contact tech support. I would have rather contacted through the internet.

3/22/13

Every one in the company was extremely knowledgeable about the working of my computer. Tey were curtesy and ready to help. I recommend your company to anyone who needs computer assistance.

Jaya made me feel that I was in the hands of very knowledgeable techician. I was very comfortable working with her, and I want to thank her for her service.
Thanks
Harri

3/22/13

VIcky was extremely helpful in resolving all of my computer problems. I am very satisfied with the experience!

3/20/13

I would be totally lost without guruaid. Just knowing that I can call anytime and the phone call will be answered immediately is a great perk, Everyone should try them out and they will be sure to keep them every year. Everyone is very professional and
polite.

3/20/13

Today and as in the past all my problems have been resolved.
Mausami Nath has

3/19/13

Today two Trojan horse virus attached my computer and my regular protection service removed them, however, not fully. Upon contacting GURUAID, they promptly and efficiently cleaned up my computer; and, it is now working like new. So far, I am really happy I subscribed for this service.

3/18/13

Solved my problem and went the extra mile by changing the hated Windows 8 layout to Classic. Really impressed with: professionalism, courtesy, skill and patience with a semi-skilled luddite!

3/18/13

The help I have received from guruaid is invaluable! I used to have to take my computer to the repair shop, but guruaid makes it so much more convenient. Issues were resolved completly to my utter most satisfaction. Would highly recommend this service!

3/18/13

Good service - poor phone connection at first but cleared up and was pleased with attitude and results.

3/17/13

Every one of your technicians that I spoke to were courteous, knowledgeable, and did a great job bringing my computer back to good health. I was very happy with this experience. Thank you all very much.

3/17/13

they made everything easy for me such a great help since I purchased this plan the best iv dealth with to date

3/16/13

I was having a major problem with installing Norton 360 so called guruaid. It took them a while cause my computer was a mess but thankfully it ds doing better now!!!

3/16/13

I find guruaid.com to be an excellent company. They have helped me through a number of problems. The technicians are polite and helpful. With other sites, the people were very rude. I trust this company.

3/15/13

I have used GuruAid for many months and confirm that, overall, my experience has been positive and problems have been resolved. I do and have recommended the service to others.

3/14/13

I had a "fake" microsoft tech call me...did nothing to solve my problem and charged me alot. The people at Guruaid.com helped resolve the problem before and after the "fake" tech. I feel that I can trust what was done.ESP

3/13/13

I find it is good when you are running a business with 'tight' overheads to be able to have a resource available to toubleshoot problems .
In the market place there is not a service like yours available - that operates 24 hours a day - 7 days per week.
It is important if you have deadlines to meet that systems do not let you down.
This were GuruAid comes in.
many thanks
Alan garnett

3/12/13

I don't know,yet. This is my first time. So, far the tech's. who I spoke to and who's helped me they have been very nice. I want to see how good they really are. And, the are w/ Norton Symantec. I've been w/ Norton for awhile now. So, far I trust them.

3/12/13

I started with Guruaid because I was hacked and wanted to make sure that our computer was clear. clean and safe again. I have had our computer cleaned twice now and am happy with the reps helping me. I now have my calendar marked so I may have this done once a month at least. I like the fact I can call 24/7 if I need help. Very good.

3/12/13

Very happy with the help received. Also glad the tech. reminded me about having my computer cleaned and serviced more often. I Highly recommend this site.

3/11/13

I had the worse happen to me and I got what I wanted in the services and assistance from Guruaid. I highly recommend anyone who has had crashes or virus attacks to visit this site for assistance. Chester Wilbert

3/11/13

I have had some very helpful technicians on this site today that have helped me to have my Internet working again and now I just had a very nice technician help me get my sound back. His name was Tushar Basutkar. He was most helpful.

3/11/13

Harmeet Nagi has helped me tonight in recovering my internet and fixing my home page which had been hi-jacked. I have used the Guruaid for over a year at least 5 time and they are always fast and polite in fixing all my issues. I highly reccomend their services! Steve T. USA

3/10/13

Although it was very lengthy the individuals I spoke with were very helpful and was able to solve my problems.

3/10/13

imran is so patient and understanding its been so settling to deal with such professionalism i recommend guruaid to all of my friends.

3/10/13

efficient, patient and very helpful

always helpful and quick

About Guruaid
Specialties & Business Description
Headquartered in Branford, Connecticut, GuruAid is a division of Lester Inc, incorporated in 1981 in the U.S.

GuruAid is a global next-generation computer support service provider for consumers and small businesses in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland and Australia. Launched in 2010 our subscriber base includes thousands of consumers and hundreds of small businesses.

With the use of sophisticated tools and a dedicated team of IT specialists, GuruAid provides high quality technical support services to its customers. Our services are designed to help customers with online instant support for computer related problems.

Our range of independent technical services spans across Microsoft & Apple operating system platforms, securities software such as Norton, Mcafee, Kaspersky, and computers from major OEMs such as Dell, HP, Acer.
Meet the Business Representative
Rajiv S.
Title: CEO
Rajiv started his career at Intel in 1985 on Unix Operating System. Over the last 28 years he has been in leadership roles at McKinsey (Electronics Practice Leader), IBM (General Manager of AIX Division), and Disney (Senior Vice President). He is a graduate of Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Rajiv resides in Greenwich, Connecticut.