US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

minth

I found out someone was trying to withdraw the money I earned, good thing they saw it and I was informed. (in 468 reviews)

ancab

As long as you learn to manage your account, everything will be alright. (in 440 reviews)

johnt83

I add two hundred dollars into the account, then my project stalls. (in 399 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

rafiau
2/13/16

I've placed my bid on a logo design project after refreshing the browser i see that project was deleted by the owner of the project then the owner of that project hired me directly and i was glad to have hired by him for logo design project now we communicated greatly and i completed his project on time and on budget when he released the money $50 and provided a feedback, after 5 minutes that project was also deleted in which he awarded me and the $50 were gone from my account i still cannot believe that he was a real scammer and he cheated with me nd got my work that i done hardly and got the money lots of projects are posted and hired by scammers in freelancer.com and i am sad and afraid mostly freelancer are experiencing that kind of frauds and only a freelancer can understand how painful thing we feels when we see that the project that we completed so hardly is deleted by the employer and the employer got the work and the money i recommended every freelancers not to use freelancer.com you will be responsible of losing your own money! the owner of freelancer.com should be ashamed of his website he is a sinner! please remove the option of deleting the project!! otherwise one day no one will use freelancer.com

sureshp7
2/12/16

Freelancer just emptied the money from my account, just because the guy who gave me the project did not complete his verification. I am with freelancer for more than 7 years. I told them, it is his freewill I really can not interfere with other people’s freewill. What benefit he has to complete the verification process?

I completed my verification process by providing all my ids faithfully. But asking other people to submit their id is not really with in my control. If freelancer want this kind of verification to be done, then they have to make the verification to be completed before accepting money from the client.

I trusted Freelancer and I released my work to him. Where is the security for my work that was delivered to him? I am just small people working hard and making just small wages like few hundred dollars. And Freelancer is literally treating their members like as if they are part of a terrorist organization or something. There is a limit to police the activities on the website, this seems like too extreme. I did all the things they asked me to do and submitted every document they requested, regardless of that they want to reverse my hard earned money.

I would really recommend them to work for CIA or FBI , they are more suitable for that kind of job, they do not know how to care for the hard work their members did.

Why I am being the middle man between Freelancer and the guy who gave me the project to ask him submit their documents for the project that was completed and closed? I really pitty the people who have suffered similar fate like me.

Tip for consumers: I would really recommend people to move away from this site slowly, even there are many other similar sites who take higher margin, but it is more safer platform than Freelancer. What is the point can you imagine you are with them for 7 years, and suddenly just because of one issue they take away your money or block the account? Especially when we have so many customers and reputation, all these takes years to build, which they can just simply block with one click? No one should be in such a di

marcusb67
2/12/16

Horrible experience, user scammed me 121$ and cheat me with the job, and another 20$ suddenly I found extra payments on my paypal account of 5,71$x4 . I will never use this website again. If you use it, you can loose your money.

erickp11
2/11/16

As at all service, all looks fine when you post a job, you review the offerts and interview the freelancers to select the best one. All start when you hire a freelancer you have to configure the milestone, pay it and release it when you are satisfied with deliverables. Recently I hired a freelancer (USD600 project), and released a milestone payment, but it seems that the freelancer violated one of their rules and they closed his freelancer.com account, so before it, the freelancer told me he couldn't withdrawal the money from his account because Freelancer.com lock the transaction.

Now, I don't have the project and money neither, and the freelancer I hired couldn't withdrawal the money. So Freelancer.com has the money and doesn't refunded me the money.

I wrote them in a ticket ([#EJJ-767-71084]), but I don't have any answer yet.

jonasr8
2/10/16

I awarded a project to a freelancer, he promised a 1 day accomplishment, demanded half of the milestone released to start the project which I did.
After 3 weeks, the project was not done, the freelancer just got away. Customer support told me that the freelancer is having account issues, and that I should wait and contact the freelancer outside of freelancer which I cant since I dont have his email, or skype or other means of communication. In my opinion Freelancer has to support me by contacting their freelancer since they have their contact information which I dont have! But I receive just a lazy stupid answer from customer support: "we cannot give you personal account information". Hello! I wasnt asking for his account information, I am asking that they contact their freelancer!
My project has been delayed for 3 weeks already, and lost money, but I dont get a good solution for this.
I will never use this freelancer site anymore! full of scams! Their customer support is no support at all, they have no solution, no good advise, no protection.

Tip for consumers: STAY AWAY! FULL OF SCAMMERS!

nehemiahj
2/10/16

Hey... This site started as cool, But their naivety didn't allow him to operate as big business. It's full of broken workflow and poor user experience.

This ship should sink as soon as possible which will make the freelancing world a better place.

dasb
2/5/16

After I have done some couple of projects one day I found my account blocked after I have finished a project. I was unable to withdrew my money.
The founder of this website Matt Barrie, is just an Australian thief !

shafz
2/5/16

This is the WORST website for freelancing out there! You'll be charged for the simplest things, like breathing! Huh! I was awarded a 15$ project which did not work out well, so upon discussing with the client, the project was cancelled. No payments were made. But this site STILL charges 5$ from me!!! For what? Exactly!
I would advice anyone against using this. Trust me, there are way better websites you can earn from, for cheaper fees. Upwork is the best so far. They only charge 10% from what you earn and that too, will be charged ONLY when the client pays you.Don't make the mistake I made and spend over here even before you start earning!

cassyd
2/4/16

The company FREELANCER IS A joke. I hired some very nice workers from the site than I tried to pay them through freelancer. The system does not do what its supposed to they have kept the money that is supposed to go to the workers . Support keeps giving me the run around will not refund the money back into my pay pal account even though their system is at fault. They do not listen or address the comments made in my support questions. Keep telling me the same thing. Their system doesn't work and they wont take responsibility for it. They refer me to a live support button that does not work. They really should fix their site the poor people who have done my work are missing out on their payment. They are frustrating to deal with have wasted hours of my time trying to communicate with them and are slow to respond. After reading some of the other reviews I am starting to think its a bit of a SCAM ... BEWARE

sues79
1/31/16

You should be ashamed of working for this fraud. Your pictures on the
internet are absolutely nothing compared to what you mail. The quality
of the clothing is ridiculous. I will have to throw these items
away.

Just so you know I work very hard for my maoney and right now you have
robbed me.

Never again will I purchase from you and I will let the whole world
know what terrible people you are...

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carolw72
1/30/16

Someone should close this site down.

charliep19
1/28/16

We set up a very costly contest to have logos designed. We set the contest for 14 days. As soon as it went live, the contest shot down to 24 hours remaining and Freelancer wants hundreds of dollars to extend it to the original 14 days we selected to begin with.

Tried using the live chat, it just loaded with "2 people ahead of you" for 10 minutes. We did this three times. After about ten minutes it allows us to send an email - this function errors out and doesn't allow you to send anything. Tried opening a support ticket and constantly encountered server 500 errors. Absolute scam.

wyattb20
1/28/16

For the most part this is a good way to save up some extra money for a wedding.
But, misleading posted policies need to be looked into.

It states here that after a release is done there is no way for Freelancer to get back the funds.

"Once the Milestone Payment is released there's no way for us to recover the funds. Make sure that the project has been completed and you are satisfied with the results before releasing your pending Milestone Payment.
."

and again here.

"I already released my Milestone Payment, is there a way for me to get my money back?
Unfortunately, once the Milestone Payment is released there's no way for us to recover the funds. We suggest that you work with the Freelancer to resolve the situation.
"

It turns out this is not true.
1) The employer can do a callback on their card after the milestone is paid.
-> This is understandably out of the hands of the system because Freelancer cannot control all of the original payment sources in the world.

2) If the employer talks to Freelancer support they can return the funds without providing information to the Freelancer (albeit as a new milestone paid from the Freelancers account).
-> This needs to be worked on because it promotes abusive and potentially fraudulent activity on the site.

I recently had this happen to me.
Freelancer support told me that it was returned because the employer did a callback on their payment method. Freelancer support then moved the funds from my account and added it back as a new milestone for the employer. The employer asked me to do extra works to receive the funds they already had given me, but took back (Freelancer support returned to them).

A dispute was started and the Freelancer dispute team decided to give the milestone once paid, but some how returned as a new milestone, back to the employer. Total time working for this employer 20 hours. Originally posted milestones $200 USD. Released milestones $100. Milestone lost in dispute $100 + $5(dispute fee). Released Milestone returned as a new milestone $100. Re-posted milestone lost in dispute $100 + $5 (dispute fee). I received -$10 & - 20 hours. The employer received free work and front end code that they can use anywhere as much as they want.

I am still dumbfounded that I lost the dispute in spite of the fact that the employer is using the code on their publicly viewable site, screenshots, messages from the employer saying "it looks good", "wait why we post it to production", "Great job"... Even after I lost they are still using my code free of charge ): The dispute team works in mysterious ways.... But setting this aside..

Why have a policy posted if your own team does not follow it? Why so one sided? Nearly no information was provided to me, and when it was it was an inquisition.

Support: "Please provide evidence that the employer was satisfied with the work you've done and that it's completed"
Me: "They released the milestone! Why would they do that unless they were happy with the work?"

-> Really? The employer should be asked why they released the milestone if they were not satisfied. If they have a really good reason like "I accidentally pushed the button". "Someone has hacked into my account." etc, a refund may be in order. In other cases the support team should not even attempt to contact the freelancer for evidence of "satisfaction" when the employer pushed a button. This is a loaded question biased in favor of the employer.

De facto policy: "Once the Milestone Payment is released there are ways for us to recover the funds."

[UPDATE 2016-01-29]
After discussing this with support they clarified that they returned the milestone from released to pending. It was not due to employer payment issues. I hope they let management know that they should change the policy posted on the site. To let users know that milestone payments can in fact be returned to the Employer after they are released. They may get more projects posted by having this corrected information.

So in practice anyone can post a project with milestones set up like this and get work done for free.
Milestone 1: Prototype
Milestone 2: Second working copy
Milestone 3: Last milestone

You can then release 1 & 2 to keep the Freelancer working. At the end you can ask for whatever you want. New additions, extra functions, why not create a whole new code set for the Freelancer to work on? (this is what happened to me). And by not releasing Milestone three you go into arbitration. Since their is no complete version by the employers definition, and by clever manipulation (for example stalling the project over the deadline by simply not messaging the freelancer for a few weeks), you can ensure that you win.

After winning your arbitration you can ask Freelancer to return all of the funds, even milestones that were released previously. Based on a process that is not stated on the site you will be refunded and left with the product FREE of charge.

Who knows how this refund process is decided. I have a few guesses. But it is certainly not written on the site.

1) the employer and support team are from the same country
2) the employer complains enough to where support just wants them to close the issue ASAP.
3) Someone in support thinks that breaking the written policy on the site, is a good idea in this case.
4) Someone in support thinks that giving the case to the dispute team is a better idea than just telling the employer "No. It can't be done! Released milestone cannot be retrieved as posted on the site".

I think (4) happened in my case and it should be brought to the attention of management. I am keen to see this issue resolved to make Freelancer more secure for, well, freelancers.

uksy
1/27/16

I was a little apprehensive to order from Dinkleboo at the start. I have read a few negative reviews. But there are also good ones and I really wanted to get my niece a nice personalized book for Christmas. I really liked the “All About Christmas” and “The Magic Shoes” books. I was having a hard time choosing so I ended up ordering both. When the delivery day came and went and the books did not arrive, I called customer service immediately. They assured me that I will get the books the following day as there was just a small glitch in the service. True enough, I got them the next day.

dennisk42
1/26/16

This site is an awful site and should be avoided. The site offers no financial protection and you are guaranteed to lose money at some point. Imagine if you used Ebay and they said there was no way to protect you if you lost your money? Would you use it? No. No one would. This site offers no protection if you are ripped off. None. That says it all.

nikn5

Guys be careful..

I had finished a job and client paid me $480 with 5 star rating and Freelancer taken $48 as their commission..

I don't mind paying them that.. Suddenly next day my account shows negative balance and when i contacted them.. they say that client account has been closed. OKAY but what happened to my money and scammers say that they will contact the client and rectify..

It has been one month and no response from these dumb asses... Today when i am trying to post some job, it shows that my account is temporarily suspended since i have to pay negative balance..

Why the hell should i pay when you people has taken my money.. where did that money gone in my account..

Freelance site people - Don't play cheating game - you may think that you are playing safe by taking money - People are watching....

My Ticket Number -VAV-522-45930

chelsead16
1/26/16

Freelancer doesn't care about its customers/employees. At all. While the ability to easily access and bid on freelance work sounds extremely appealing (and IS, when executed properly), this company fell short in EVERY POSSIBLE way and experience.

Freelancer does nothing to verify the authenticity of employers who are looking for freelancers. They do not require you verify payment methods (like connecting a bank account or credit card) before posting jobs for freelancers. They do not require you verify your email or name either. I was completely scammed on a writing job and Freelancer said that it isn't their "job" to protect the freelancers, verify job authenticity, nor hold the employer accountable. Actually YES, that is exactly the point of the site. Otherwise, I'd go to craigslist.

Freelancer had NO problem charging me a fee for helping me to "find work," but when the employer scammed me out of hundreds of dollars, and just never paid, they made me fight tooth an nail for weeks to get a refund on the fee - which was more than reasonable to have since they DIDN'T actually assist in me working a legitimate project. I with NEVER work with anyone from Freelancer again, and I have already warned everyone I know about this terrible experience.

Protect your freelancers and employers. Require verified payment methods on BOTH sides before any party can post a project or accept work. When someone posts a project and accepts a freelancer's bid, hold the agreed upon cost until the job is submitted to the employer. This isn't rocket science. The point of your site is to make people feel safe, not scammed by the employer and then scammed again by you. So disappointing.

**Update** Yes. My issue with the fee reimbursement is NOW taken care of through chat. It should not take that many attempts. It shouldn't be charged until the freelancer is paid. It should not take a representative saying "it appears we've already refunded you" when he actually refunded me right then and there (as I was literally looking at the balance at the top of the screen) - it also has a date stamp next to the refund... I can see when it happened and that he did it while we were talking. Even then, he couldn't just say "I'm so sorry; let me take care of that for you. He had to just pretend it already happened. Either way, thank you for taking the time to respond, but good riddance.

ekaterinad2
1/26/16

I used Freelancer three times so far. I have to say that you get a lot of bids for s single project however their payment policy is the worst! First time the project was split into two milestones. I thought that they will only take the first payment I released and the second will come out of my account when it's time to pay. Not so! They took the first payment out of my credit card account and then continued to bang the card until they got the second payment. I don't think that's even legal! Supposedly they put the money into my Freelancer account. Good luck taking your money back from that account! The third project cost me overdraft fees because they took ALL the money for the three separate milestones which was over $3k. I only released one! I spent my entire day going back and fourt with my freelancer and their customer service reps just to get a bunch of lousy answers. My freelancer was just as shocked as I was. Needles to say my money is still in their Freelancer account "because the transaction is pending". Everyone who has a merchant account will tell you that transaction always can be reversed while pending. The middle man simply doesn't want to lose the money! Would not recommend this company to anybody.

muhammadn7
1/24/16

why my account closed?? how can you close even i was working good .. my username was topseomaster11

they also emailed all my client and asked . my clients told they got email they checking ur acc and doing investigate and they told all real facts. all client i done good job . i even have all client emails

all my client even happy with work . why closed account kept my 300$
no one can trust freelancer i am 18 years and they scam a people have 5 stars feedback

all my client even happy with work . why closed account kept my 300$
i am worried i was doing very good work for all client even each client work done awesome . there was not single which was not happy ..

why you doing like this to a poor guy . check my passport . i am 18 years.. please i wana earn ..
sir
please tell me if any single clients had issue .. any issue in my work ..

please open acc as last time ..

sir please give my concern to higher team

sir please open account by give last chance please i even dont know my mistak

ndihink
1/22/16

Hello
I am Nidhin is a member of freelancer since last four months. I haven't faced any incidents like this that once I finished my job client released the money and gave me full rating. Freelancer site has taken the commission from that. But the money is not in my account and saying that
1) Reversal of [Done milestone payment from ludihora for project Project for kakkanattu (Partial payment for project) (USD) from 01/22/2016 at 13:38 EST] (USD) -450$
2)Reversal of [Done milestone payment from maikatitu for project Project for kakkanattu (Partial payment for project) (USD) from 01/22/2016 at 12:46 EST] (USD) -150$

Simply I lost 600$ . What is it and I don't understand . How can I work in this site any more. I really need your help. Now I found that the client freelancer Address has been deleted. I don't understand this.

I got message from freelancer saying this "Hello Nidhin,

Hope you're doing well.

understand your concern with regard to the reversed payment from your account. Our records show that your employer had issues with their account which was subsequently closed. Note that payments originating from an account which has issues will be reversed immediately for security reasons. The reason why the payments you've received from your employer were reversed is because we are avoiding you to be involved into any potential issues since that payment is questionable. Such actions are outlined on section 19 of our Terms and Conditions which you agreed when you joined our site: https://www.freelancer.com/about/terms

As much as we would like to help you recover the funds, it was reversed and returned to its original funding source and is no longer on the site. It may be returned to you by directly contacting your employers "maikatitu" and "ludihora" and ask them to settle the payment offsite.

Again, we apologize for what happened to your projects and payments. These security protocols were created with the best of intentions. We're just sorry that you were inconvenienced by them.

Thanks for your understanding and take care.

---
Regards,
Bridget B.
Freelancer.com Support

How am supposed to contact the employer as he is no longer available in the site? Help me pls

stephena34
1/20/16

To cut a long story short I've been scammed many times on Freelancer at least five times in eighteen months. They don't care well I suppose if you had over 17 million subscribers why should they?

If you pay for a service you expect some support. They never respond to emails and when they do it's always read the terms and conditions in Section 19 they take no responsibility. They are just a bunch of mindless drones with little personality, poor direction and minimal common sense.

I did not sign up to be scammed nor did I sign up to work for nothing. The problem lies with their methods and the policies they hide behind. Those at director level must lead a very comfortable lifestyle. Why not take the fees and tell the Freelancer that they won't be paid as the money used comes from a "questionable" source. Then refund the PM the money they paid for offering the project keeps everyone happy apart from the Freelancers who have paid a fee to deliver a project then find they finish out of pocket. This equates to theft and taking money under false pretences. All you get when you complain is refer to section 19 which basically deflects any responsibility from Freelancer. They basically encourage fraudulent practices

How is the Freelancer suppose to check each project and ensure that the funds aren't coming from an untrustworthy source? We aren't mind readers nor is the project likely to be from a business down the road which you may already have knowledge of so you might know? You have to accept the project is genuine and you will be paid. There is always the risk that you won't unlike Freelancer who are guaranteed to be paid for every job!

They also cancelled a transaction for £220 for work I did for a PM one day. I provided the service they advised the payment was suspect and reversed it. Consequently I did work for nothing. They advised they tried to contact the PM but of course he was long gone as he got something for nothing. I also had to pay fees for work I delivered by accepting the project Freelancer apparently encourage and openly condone the posting of scam projects. When I have reported scam projects the adverts have been removed then resubmitted several days later I have evidence of this.

I've filed court proceedings against Freelancer to recover the £220 but I won't hold my breath they must have loads of them to work through mine will be at the bottom of the pile!

In the meantime they say I owe them $117 for fees accrued from work I never undertook. More chance of them seeing that than me walking around the supermarket and bumping into Elvis Presley by the pizza counter.

You stand your ground and fight your corner and they take exception. I then opened a new account to circumnavigate the issue. Made a business contact who was happy to employ me and they decided to close the account as a duplicate. More revenue lost there and a guy who must think I'm an ungrateful cretin. Thanks a bunch Freelancer

You have been warned steer clear it will cost you money and your reputation.

Added - 20/01/16

As you can see from the Freelancer response more swerving the subject and trying to placate and diffuse the situation by trying to convey the impression they actually care Freelancer have screwed me over twice in their efforts to protect the community not to mention the money I have lost due to being scammed by scammers on the Freelancer site.

All empty words as usual I'm afraid and empty words tend to fall on deaf ears.

Don't use Freelancer It's a pity I can't close my account as I supposedly owe them money for fees for work I never got otherwise I'd do it tomorrow!

catherineh39
1/19/16

I am a freelancer and so far, only five have contacted me through the Freelancer website. One gave me a link to a different website, the second asked me where I am from and I never heard from her again, the third wants me to pay her employees with my own money before paying me, the fourth said that he doesn't really have any job for me and just wants to be friends, and the last wants a virtual assistant that shows more cleavage through skype.

charlesb117
1/18/16

They stole my money. Scam website. Deposited money and when I wanted to transfer my left over balance back to my bank account they preformed over a dozen transactions and money disappeared. Not in my freelancer account and not in my bank account. When you open a ticket to solve the problem they send a message they will get back to you in a few days. UPDATE: I got a response from freelancer.com the same day and my problem was resolved. Instead of depositing my money to my paypal account like I asked they deposited it instead to my credit card. Still confusing why there are over 10 transactions for a simple single withdrawal of my own funds. At the end of the day I got my money back.

nthabisengm
1/18/16

Do not use his site because you will have money in your account and the night after upon accepting a project, have $-500. Now you will be owing freelancer , be in debt and money will be taken out of your account. They will not refund you and management is bad. Worst freelancing website.

chrisw147
1/15/16

I took their basic numeracy skills test so I could add something else to my profile to show to prospective clients. Their tests - or at least the ones I looked at - cost $5.00 plus a processing fee of around $0.42. Here's an actual question exactly as it appeared on the test I took:
"John eat 2 pieces of apples a day. Now, is Thursday, but he remembered the his apples left after eating apples during Monday are 30 pieces after that, he gave the half of all his apples to her daughter. How many apples left, if today is Friday after eating the two pieces of apples?"

At least three other questions on the test had issues, such as multiple correct answers or no correct answer. Needless to say, this is completely unprofessional, especially considering these are paid tests. How can I showcase my skills to prospective clients with a test like this? After the test was completed, there was an option to add more questions to the test. It looks like they don't even verify new questions for accuracy.

I contacted customer support and 4 days later I was told they do not refund the exam fees. Instead, they offered to let me take another exam for free and they offered me one free month of the lowest paid membership option. First, there's no way I'm ever taking another exam for that site, free or not. Second, because of the exam that I did take I was already eligible for one free month of a higher-level paid membership, so offering me the lowest one is completely pointless.

Based on this experience and the countless other reviews I've read about this site, I just decided to cut my losses and run. I advise you all to avoid this shady site.

freelancerf
1/15/16

Freelancer Fraud Money Eater Scammers
I have participated in Wow Freelancer Profile 10000$ Contest and All 15000+ Freelancer have Lost their Money.
They Have cut All money who have participate in Contest.I have lost my 1000$.I have contacted so many time what they said you know fker sker mother...

"This was technical Glitch & Problem we can't refund your money"

Why Mfker you have not debit more money from problem or glitch. this fking truth about those mofkers. Don't participate or post project on freelancer quit freelancer then they will know their limit of fraud fker.

Thanks

reviewr2
1/13/16

I am a new user a freelancer and mostly have had a "OK" experience. Last month an employer decided not to pay for weeks, so they could keep asking for updates every time they wanted them. The project did not mention "unlimited support", so I thought going into arbitration would reveal the clear lies from the employer on Freelancer messenger. However, in spite of screen shots showing the delivered products, clear communication between employer and myself showing the the employer was being abusive, I lost the arbitration.

The employer is now allowed to continue with this behavior without penalty. On this one project they had already fired four freelancers without pay, so it is a loss for Freelancer.com for workers. It is a win for employer.

But I think that the idea is simple. The people that pay win. This employer had 5+ active projects and many others finished. It does not matter how bad their reviews are because they are spending money. If you are working on a project take every precaution to protect yourself! Freelancer.com will only protect there revenues by protecting the party that spends the most on their site. Good Economics!

ab3241
1/10/16

I receive this messages via Freelancer.com messaging system. Quote:

"get the $#*! outta here" and "let me tell you how it works you > suck > my $#*!".

When I report this messages to Freelancer.com - nothing happened. Support explain me: my report will be checked for Terms of Service conditions.
Since author of this messages still active at Freelancer.com I can imply: his mother language is not contrary to Freelancer.com TOS.
I am not native and I don't know Australian business rules. May be these messages are common way to communicate via Freelancer.com Author describe his self as "CERTIFIED GOOGLE PARTNER".
My overall rating is correct: I really want to share my story to the entire world.
Also you know: when site working smoothly - no one bother to write review. As soon as I receive "get the $#*! outta here" and "let me tell you how it works you > suck > my $#*!", without any relevant reaction from Freelancer.com staff, I decide to write this review.

kldmccd
1/10/16

Please don't use the site because if the employer cancels his project then they reverse the funds without warning so one night you have 30$ in your account and the next day it's -500$ and it gets deducted from your payment source.

ap832
1/8/16

Though many reviews posted here already paint a clear picture of the poor management of this site, I wanted to provide my own recent experience with them.

Having a very specific focus and skill set within a small, well connected industry, I came to learn that someone I knew through my professional network had had begun a project and was in search of contractors. I searched through numerous other websites until I discovered that they had posted about the project here.

I was ultimately selected as the contractor for the project as I have extensive experience and insight into the industry. Though we had no contact with each other during the course of the bidding process, I was required to perform extensive "identity verification" which was anything but. Despite their own TOS and UA forms stating otherwise, I was told that anyone with a pre-existing connection cannot perform business on their platform--though I have not had any contact with the buyer in years (having met more than a decade ago). I have since contacted the buyer directly, and we will no longer be using Freelancer for the entirety of the project.

Why would someone want to use a site where the only potential contractor is someone who is not of the same industry and does not have the necessary knowledge?

rafaellab
1/7/16

Be careful! Fraud! Don't use the services of Freelancer.com!

Hi! I want to share my experience about Freelancer.com. First thing I can say – I was very dissapointed. First thing you have to do when you come to this platform – you need to register and to provide information about your credit card for “verification of your identity”. Ok...Then you start to bid, then you find that most of the projects there are fake and there's no guarantee that you will be payed for your job – as for me – I've made a work for one project, and then employee just stopped answering me, so I remained not payed for my job, and my appeals to the support team of Freelancer.com didn't help. At the same time for this project Freelancer.com charged me (from my credit card) with 5 euro. So the fees they are taking for projects don't mean that they gonna protect you in any way. Then appeared one strange project created specially for me with name “project for rafaellaburtman” - this project was prorosed to me and awarded to me and inspite that I didn't accept this project Freelancer.com took from me the fee in amount 15.38 euro from my credit card without my agreement. Much time passed and I still didn't get my money back.

Conclusion: when you try to work on Freelancer.com you lose money, but not gain. I've lost 20 euro while just trying to find a job there – so my advice to all Freelancers is to find another source and not to be a victim of frauders.

ramsyd
1/6/16

Submitted a ticket after losing access to my old email address to change the email address.
I got one standard reply, tickets were not being resolved or answered to. Lost all the tests I took with the old account $5 / pc

bharats2
1/6/16

I started on this site in 2014 December .Since than i made decent money on this site.This site is not scam but have poor management and services .If you will work carefully on this site you can make some good money.

1. don't upgrade to higher membership instantly . Take step by step from lower to higher as you make money and come to know more about site.

2. Don't buy any test to take ( They are useless ) Clients barely see them.But don't miss the opportunity of taking tests when freelancer offer them as free of cost . Happened to me many times .

3. Dont Bid on all projects you see on freelancer . Just bid on verified clients . I do expect that you might miss some new clients but there is less possibility of getting scammed if you choose to work with verified client with 1-2 jobs completed.

4.DONT WORK WITHOUT MILESTONES FUNDED . set up yours milestone and always ask client to release the freelancer fee ( On fixed price projects) before even you start working . which can be 3% to 15% of project cost depends upon your membership . Also on hourly jobs don't work without milestones hours funded . This is very important 99% of the time you save yourself getting scammed from scammer clients .

5. Verify your profile before you start working on this site so save some hassle with site like Withdrawal or dispute process .

6. I do agree that Chat support or ticket support of this site is too poor which need to be improved .

7. For clients kindly hire people with good success rate and on decent price . I guarantee you wont be disappointed with work.Not all freelancer are scammer. There are some serious people.

8. Last but not least try to learn more ways to work on this site if you set yourself up well on this site there are lot of projects and money you can make from this .

I wish everybody great success and Wish this site to improve their support.

victoirem1
1/5/16

We have all together to ask the Autsralian Justice to issue an international arrest warrant against the CEO .We file a complaint to the European Court this week.
this site is a fraudulent web site.
Freelance take my name Malki Victoire You will remember me .

roryb29
1/4/16

I am surprised at how Paypal allows any use of their services by a bunch of scammers like Freelancer. This is a huge mistake by them if they value their reputation.

darrenr16
1/4/16

Total waste of money and time ! i cant even close my account !

vithanagep
1/2/16

I logged in from a friend's computer and this freelancer.com piece of $#*! website closed my account without even giving a warning!. WTF?? there is no transparency in this $#*!ty site. when i ask for the reason and help, these a-holes say that they cannot help me, then why on earth is there a help section.?? in there user agreement they say they have the right to do this and that and close the account. but at least give the person a reason and a trial if you wanna close an account. Because these are hard earned money and you cannot just confiscate all just like that. I think FREELANCER.COM is a SCAM! Stay away from it.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site.

Use Elance or Fiverr or Odesk or something

tristann3
1/2/16

Found this from a google search for "freelancers".

Hired 2 freelancers, neither completed the task within the clearly defined instruction, the website charged me, and never refunded my money for the inadequate work.

Don't use it.

yasers1
1/2/16

They will always take the side of the client in any dispute. They completely ignore any project agreement which done via their own chat system. Even if you take screenshot from the chat window.
Here is some alternative
peopleperhour.com
upwork.com

I will always ask for partial upfront payment, their dispute system is useless.

juliene7
1/2/16

Charges left right and center for only God knows what. No answer from support. Broken link to Live chat support. I suggest to NOT enable automatic Paypal payments, it will just aggressively charge you for no reason.
I also highly suspect reviews on freelancers are not real.
This site has so far made me loose time and money.

Followup: payments and withdrawls have been disabled for me. I cannot pay the freelancers who worked for me, and cannot withdraw my outstanding funds. It's getting worse, and worse

Followup 2. Money has mysteriously disappeared from my account. For the rest, I requested a withdrawl of my funds over 2 weeks ago. This morning received only partial payment. The rest? under the minimum withdrawl amout. NUTS.

Support: often times out before you can speak to them.

Their way of doing business: charging you for stuff you dont ask for, ridiculous fees on transactions (like depositing money) then not letting you withdraw.

I'm going to try other sites next.

Tip for consumers: Do NOT enable paypal. Do NOT add more money than you need on your account, they will not let you withdraw it.
Overall, do NOT do business here. Not worth it.

barbarat6
12/30/15

I found it on google.
After registering, it turned out that everything is paid! There are only 8 applications free.
Then all tests are paid! Everytning is paid!
The worst thing is that on site there are many job announcements that look unserious, just like spam!
I applied for several jobs but afterwards I could not see them on my page.Just like they never existed.
In several days I deleted my account. The site is not worth time and attention, especially after reading reviews about it here on sitejabber.

ahmedn13
12/28/15

Send many emails Paypal case escalation and no answer.
Finally I got my money back through Paypal and never a word from freelancer.
I don't recommend them for anyone. Stay Away.

muhammadm16
12/28/15

They deducted money without my permission. The support team is not answering. Very bad experience....... They are not reliable......

vikasn1
12/28/15

I opened 2 projects on this site and was shocked to see my credit card statement. They charges n number of arbitrary commissions. They upgraded my account to some bloody membership without my consent that posted recurring charges on my card for 2 months. There is no support in place to report issues. The hiring manager is a pure waste of money who just sits and chats with you for some time and does nothing and charges $30 + hidden charges + commission for doing nothing. These are $#*!s and should be sued.

emmag36
12/27/15

Update: To anyone who is having issues with freelancer.com , you can report them. If you google "Department of Trade and Industry Phillipines" and click on "Contact Us" it comes up with a list of emails for various departments.CPG@dti.gov.au is the Consumer Protection Group email. I highly recommend that everyone emails their sitejabber.com reviews to these guys, so we can get freelancer.com closed down!

Now here is my review:
I was grossly misinformed by freelancer support staff 3 times, which led me to pay $161 for a design that I didn't authorise. I told customer support staff that I would file a claim with paypal to get my money back, and they said "we don't advise doing this because it will cause an account issue". I filed a claim anyway, because that is coersion! And now feelancer are saying that my account is in a NEGATIVE balance of $161, and they have not paid any money to paypal. I am waiting for paypal to resolve this issue. I recommend steering clear of this site, it is very very dodgy.

Update: They have responded saying: Hi, Emma. Your account shows that you are currently having issues with regard to the deposits that you made. We strongly recommend you to do two things for this issue to be resolved: 1) Kindly refer to the Verification Center for further updates and/or instructions from our Support; 2) To coordinate with PayPal with regard to the deposit/s. We would like to assure you that we will assist you with your concern until your account issue is resolved. Thank you for your cooperation. Take care.

Firstly, their verification centre rejected my verification and CONTINUES to hold onto my money. I have sent so so many emails that have not been responded to - this is the first response via this website. Of course they will try to save face, but read all the other HUNDREDS of reviews on sitejabber.com for other people who have been scammed. It is beyond a joke. Let's all join together and get this site CLOSED DOWN once and for all!!!

thilinac
12/24/15

i earned 400$ from a freelancer job , it is from article writing

once i tried to withdraw it, it didn't allow me to withdraw and denied my request,

even their support staff does not know that!

and finally asked to verify my identity

my identity is in country language and not in english.
and send my drivers license, they said the photo is not clear

i send 7 photos, all are very clear and in HD, but they said it is not clear!

they have foolish trust and safety team!

after 2 months , my 400$ is missing!

they are scam! , stay away from freelancer.com!

susanner3
12/23/15

Tried to hire someone here but this website is really not user friendly. Too bad.

ianp28
12/23/15

Lost $1500. First programmer I awarded project didn't respond in 3 days. So i unawares him and awarded another the same project. They asked for "the usual 30% up front to get started ($1500) in this case and will finish all by Dec 12th. nothing at all from freelancer. minimal opening application long in screen NOTHING at all what i was asking for. log in screen did not work. 2 days later i complained. All freelancer does is encourage you and freelancer to communicate, which is only messaging. But t seems Freelancer can not see any of the message chains nor "the work" submitted. Then when i deleted the other awarded same "make cell phone app" awarded to other guy that never respond - it also deleted current awarded freelancer that was paid $1500. Now case is closed and can't even rate the rip off freelancer! This is an excellent place to spend your time and money to get ripped off, pissed off, and waist a tonn of time trying - wishing to get resolution. - you'll never get your work done here! They have no way and no concern to get scammers off of their website. Their set up encourages and promotes them. no real resolution evaluation system. Only so long as freelancer is communication - sending ANY message to me and ANY ..."Work"... (including a screen shot - i think "work is any picture file") then the freelancer is meeting criteria of "actively communicating with employer" - Regardless of what communications or "work" that is being done! Next websites you'll want to go to to file fraud reports against thins place is: "Fraudaid.com", "https://www.econsumer.gov/#crnt", interpol.int, http://www.stopfraud.gov/report.html, & https://www.ic3.gov/faq/default.aspx - federal bureau of internet crime complaint center!

susannas8
12/22/15

They claim to be Australian based, what a load of lies! I had to inquire with police and they indicated that while the company is "registered in Australia" all operations are ran from Manila! They use Australia address to appear legitimate, they are not, in fact they are Philippines based. Move to Upwork or any other site.

I was charged $9.99 per month for no reason AND 3 months later was notified by freelancer that they never received the money I paid them "Verification reasons". I had to open a dispute and pay the freelancer through paypal.

Stay clear! A horrible support team, copy paste replies, with absolutely no responses that make sense. They are not capable of responding to basic English queries, as soon as you ask them anything that is outside the routine and is not covered by a template response you get silence.

So they responded with our HQ is in Australia, yes your mail-drop address is there, your actual address is below

Freelancer.com
Makati Sky Plaza, 21st floor
Ayala Avenue
Makati City (Metropolitan Manila)
Philippines

brendanl5
12/22/15

My wife tried freelancer - she trialed it to advertise some site development work. Many people - a lot from the subcontinent responded - all in good faith. She decided to defer the project and didnt contract anyone. Today looking at our bank statement we see they've been charging us at $11.50 / month - for nothing. I suppose its tucked away in the T&Cs, which I'll check once I find them.
So all people beware - especially those IT people from the subcontinent on struggle street - these freelancer.com.au people are not reliable. Buyer definitely beware!

118 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 day ago
Add your answer
1 day ago
Add your answer
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

66 Photos for Freelancer