US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

minth

I found out someone was trying to withdraw the money I earned, good thing they saw it and I was informed. (in 298 reviews)

ancab

As long as you learn to manage your account, everything will be alright. (in 295 reviews)

johnt83

I add two hundred dollars into the account, then my project stalls. (in 239 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

kapilk
4/15/15

Hi,

I was working on a project at freelancer.com, my profile named kapil1234567, i was awarded a project by an employer, i before accepting the project saw the employer's profile and each and everything on his account was verified not a single thing was not left unverified on his account, so what next i accepted the project after he created full milestone on the site, amount was $200, so i worked for 7 days on the project everything moved smoothly and then the employer closed the project and released the money to me. I withdrew the money from my account to bank account. I got my money in my hand. The problem started after 7 days after withdrawing the amount, when i logged in my account i was surprised to see my account as limited, wrote atleast 10 mails to support, three mail where replied with lame and stupid replies like we understand your problem etc etc, after that verification team asked docs for verification i gave and got verified for 4 days this verification continued, then today when i logged in and saw another surprise, my funds showed -$180 ( $20 was project fee that i was refunded, total project was of $200), on seeing dashboard i see that project got deleted, how does that matter if a completed project is deleted?? How can a person with sense and brain charge money for the project that was deleted after it was completed and whose payment was completed. I am a serious and professional programmer, cannot accept this foolishness. If you people look at my problem it is a total scam website, even if the project is deleted for some problem in employer then freelancer.com should bear the charges because i accepted the project from a 100% verified employer, guys do not waste on this scam website, i faced many other issues on this website that i did not mention here, so i will say that freelancer will have to bear all the charges of any mistake of employer or site administrator.

sourabbs
4/14/15

Hi everyone,
I was working on a project with my profile name sourabb on the freelancer.com website, i worked for an employer and the project was nearly 10 days old (time enough to verify anyones account either employer or freelancer), the total milestone was done by the employer, after he was happy with my work he released the milestone i withdrew nearly $180 (after paying the project fee) from my freelancer.com account. I was happy that i will be able to pay my bills as it was my month ending, but after 2 or 3 days when i logged into my account i was suprised to see nearly -$180 in my account, after contacting the support they told me that employer did not verify his account so they send back money to his credit and i need to full fill the negative balance with the project fee i.e -$200.
What the hell did i work for nearly 15 days so after withdrawing the amount i will need to work to full fill the negative balance, just can't these people allow employer to create project once they verify everything. Guys i can tell only one thing this site is so unreliable, you can never be sure when and what time this site will create an issue for you. I am still using this site a bit, but i am totally unsatisfied with the service, so be carefull if you are planing to make this site as your major source of income. I need my balance back to zero as it was not my fault to work on a project, verification is the job of freelancer admin not mine.

jayj40
4/13/15

I signed up for freelancer 3 days ago. I quickly found this was a mistake. Hidden fees for every action. Post a job, pay a fee. hold your money from PayPal, pay a fee. Have a dispute and want your money back? $5 fee! Then they tried getting $100 extra dollars out of my PayPal. I called PayPal and they quickly resolved the matter. Every dime Freelancer took from me was restored. They made it where Freelancer could no longer charge me for anything, and I will never deal with them again. I urge everyone who is on freelancer to take your money and run! Do no deal with these scam artists!

stefanc20
4/12/15

Hello , a few days ago i have finished a project that had 4 milestones ,2 of 30$ and 2 of 60$ ,all good and nice , the employer paid up /released all the milestones ,i got that money 180$ withdrew ,transferred them to may paypal and to my credit card , so far so good . Three days later meaning the day on which i posted this i find my freelancer.com account with a -180$ balance , WTF !!!, spoke with the dorks from support ,they said "there is a problem with the my employer's account " i asked "ok , then if the problem is with the employer why am i being charged ?" Response "There is a problem with your employer's account it was marked as fraud and banned ? " of course i asked them again and also asked the to show me why is this my fault why do you(freelancer.com) taking money from my account without even announcing it via email or something ? Then i saw i was talking to myself and left it be . I only hope that it happens to them to in a different circumstance . THIEVES !!!

Tip for consumers: If you choose to work on freelancer as a freelance worker or employer and if you get a project first ask the employer if he want's to pay you via paypal or wire transfer directly , DON'T USE FREELANCER.COM to transfer your funds !

chrisr102
4/11/15

I decided to use freelancer for one project, during which went terribly the user was only able to complete one of the two tasks but insisted for the final milestone payout then got really annoyed he did not get the final payment.

I find the freelancers on the site are conners and beggers the task I gave was two very simple tasks all could be solved with CSS, not really worth the $30 work, many where asking for $50+ to do one line of CSS complaining that the work would be complex and hard, even though the solution was one line.

Freelancer them selves are theives, hidden fees everwhere, you award a freelancer for work, pay us. You release a milestone, pay us. You start challenge, pay us. You delete a project, pay us. all of this is without notice and automatic making you easily lose a lot of money on a single project.

Not worth a single penny and I can assure you after this I will never use my account again lets hope closing an account does not cost anything.

So if you are thinking of using freelancer my suggestion is DON'T you will not get the desired work, reliable freelancer at a cheap cost as promised, it will be undesireable incompleted work with an unreliable and untrustworthy freelancer and will cost you an arm and a leg.

Hope this helps you if you are thinking of using freelancer and it is not just me look at all the other one star reviews on here.

tomj62
4/9/15

I put in a withdraw request 15 days ago. Today I got another job, and they took a $60 fee for that (which is completely outrageous), automatically canceled my withdraw that I'd been waiting 15 days for, told me i had insuffiecent funds because of this which will cause me to have to wait another 15 days apparently since it's my first withdraw. Now my question is: WHY ON EARTH WOULDN'T YOU GIVE ME THE OPTION TO PAY WITH MY DEBIT CARD, MY BANK ACCT, ECT RATHER THAN SCREW ME OVER AND MAKE ME HAVE TO WAIT AN ADDITIONAL 2 WEEKS TO GET THE FUNDS??? From what I gather from other comments on here it's because you love to screw people over and hold their money freelancer.

The support:
I just got done talking to freelancer support for about 30 minutes. In this 30 minutes the live chat person answered maybe 2 of my 15+ questions, and blatently ignored all the others. I asked questions about why my money was being held. I was told (after maybe 15 minutes of asking) that your first withdraw takes 15 days to process for security reasons. I than asked what security reasons and got no response even when I asked multiple times. I asked the person if I could speak to their supervisor, and again this question was ignored. I asked if they would be mad if they didn't get money they were expecting to get for an entire month after initially withdrawing it? Again, no response. I asked where I could rate them and they told me a rating survey would appear when I exited the conversation. Well, I did this and there was no rating survey. It was probably the worst live chat experience I've ever had in my life. I am not going to leave my username below because this horrible company will probably just screw me over again and again.

Another note, the fees are so outrageous on there I don't see why anyone would ever use them. Have some dignity and self-respect and don't fall for this scammy site people.

mosers
4/6/15

Do not work there , they will charge your account from nowhere , also if you pass 500$ as payments they will ask a tons of documents to verify your account , i was paid more than 2,500 $ , i managed with luck an withdraw of 400 $ and rest of the money are beeing held by them , they dont have phone number and in the chat support that is 24/7 is like you are talking alone , they give you vague answers and info. that you already know , so dont get there they will steal you .

thaip1
4/2/15

I just started today with freelancer.com and found out that they are charging for all sorts of ridiculous fees: tests for Basic grammar test (US), Basic grammar test (UK), basic arithmetic, advanced arithmetic treating us like little kids. Worse part is you have to pay them $10 per month to be eligible to bid on some of these projects. Customer service is nonexistent as they don't give phone numbers and is relayed via a robot.

shirsendus
4/2/15

My Freelancer account was closed without any prior warning. One of my clients had given some amount at the initial stage of the project as it was a big budget project. Then before deadline, he marked it "incomplete". My client did not ask for any refund from me as I worked almost more than 50% of that project. Then all of a sudden Freelancer deducted that amount from my account.And create it as pending milestone. When I spoke with their customer support on chat, they asked me to create one dispute for that milestone. Accordingly, I created one dispute. And just before one day of the dispute deadline, Freelancer suddenly closed my account saying that I have violated their terms and conditions.And yes client didn't respond on that 7 days time period. I have been working there since August 2007. Why should I violate their terms??? They did not even give me any notice or warn me for that.They don't have any proper terms and conditions.This is really ridiculous.

Tip for consumers: Don't go with that site. Elance is better.

staceyl13
4/1/15

After opening a contest and awarding a designer, the designer then couldn't deliver my work and canceled the project. Freelancer.com said bad luck my money is gone, even though I don't have the design I paid for.... I opened a paypal dispute regarding this since the designer did not want payment and freelancer.com then blocked a 2nd contest I had going on which resulted in me losing my money AGAIN! Their reason for this? "you did not choose a winning entry within 14 days from when your contest closed", my contest was open for 3 days and still had another 2 days to go before ending!!!! See the screenshot attached. They've now stolen over $60 of my money in 2 days. Stay far far away!!!!

Tip for consumers: Just don't do it!!!

rajendrad1
3/25/15

I CANT EVEN GIVE A ZERO STAR RATING I WAS ABLE TO I WOULD GIVE ZERO STAR

I gave project and they guy has advance $170 and now the rest of the money is stuck in limo with dispute he docent even respond and company dosent even take responsibility or act on it and he is still taking projects the user name is ECOSITE i would suggest do not give any projects to any on this site as they are just stealing peoples money and company dosent care they don't do any thing some one needs to find a company who can law sue this free lancer company

company need to take steps against bad review people or who are not doing their project they should implement 100% satisfaction guarantee for developers as big company do Ebay

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE KEEP THE MONEY IN BANK BELIEVE ME DO NOT USE THIS SITE OR YOU WILL CRY LIKE ME

FOR WASTED MONEY PEOPLE here KNOW HOW TO TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NOT DO ANY THING AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANY THING

akpana
3/25/15

Everything you do on this site, they try to take money from you. For someone who wants to be a freelancer, this is not a friendly site at all. I try to bid on a project and they wont allow until i pay for something. STUPID SITE.

Tip for consumers: Dont use this site. Use other sites. STUPID SITE.

scammedb1
3/23/15

We hired a logo designer to create a logo. Their website indicates that any material which is not original will be pulled off their website and within the actual handover agreement, it highlights that any IP associated to the concept, the designer forfeits ownership upon exchange of money for the design.

Designer has used many attributes of my logo design with many other logo designs subsequently, and when this issue has been presented to Freelancer.com, they have highlighted to address with designer. Then when questioned further, they have advised to again go back to the designer. Further questioning, they have indicated that they will investigate. Response was, yes its clear that the designer has used similar attributes of my design in other designs and can be found all over the internet....apparently, i then questioned why aren't they taking any responsibility in removing or taking greater action in protecting intellectual property.

DON'T TRUST THESE SCAMMERS, THE MONEY YOU ARE SPENDING IS A WASTE OF TIME FOR UNORIGINAL MATERIAL AND NO PROTECTION WHATSOEVER.

BUYER BEWARE.!!!!

Tip for consumers: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, NO PROTECTION WHATSOEVER!!!!

poppyh1
3/22/15

Their support is akin to robots. Incapable of answering simplest questions and simply blocking your account and taking all your funds.

Their complains department (Marcus or Lara or whatever names these Nepal/ India based support wishes to take) are as useless. Don't believe their answers like "Your issue has been addressed in ticket X142526"; all that happens is that they refer you back to your original ticket that was the problem in the first place.

The website stole over $1,300 from my account and blocked it with no reason whatsoever. I am lodging a complaign against them and will take them to court if required. Otherwise BEWARE.

They will not refund your cash, they will not accept any proof you can provide. They will just block and strip you dry of your funds.

Tip for consumers: Do not deposit funds, do not put your payment details. They will start charging you without your knowledge or approval. Move to Elance or Odesk.

masuda
3/21/15

The Freelancer.com has a very quick system for taking deposit from customers, but old dated boring lengthy system (3weeks) for customers to withdraw the money. In addition, the customers need to contact support desk every time they want to withdraw, but not when taking deposit. That is not customer friendly. I have waited over 3 weeks after making withdrawl request. Hope its should be upgraded.

thomasg36
3/20/15

Beware of freelancer. They use all the below mentioned tactics to freeze money they're not entitled to. I'd give details, but now I'm scared of having my account closed and as a full-time freelance web-designer, I can't take that risk.

bradk17
3/18/15

freelancer.com freelancer.co.uk same business both are scam do not trust them in anyway. if you are a freelancer you can do much better just google for other site and i am sure you ll see some good and legitimate business. if you are looking for freelancers do the same, do not part with your money on freelancer.com or freelancer.co.uk because they are not trustable. this business does not have a single phone number for any kind of communication and their chat and support portal are not functioning at least for past week since i made a big mistake of joining them. now i am in the process of refunding my money which is a nightmare and getting rid of them

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE FREELANCER.COM OR FREELANCER.CO.UK WHICH ARE THE SAME BUSINESS

muhammadi5
3/17/15

Its not good. I have been working from years and have completed over 250+ jobs, 5/5 rating. Just because of one client fake complained. Someone hired, taken work and paid me and given me 5/5. So after few days they said support, we want refund as we didn't receive anything total fake/liar.

Then Freelancer.com even didn't ask me to refund or anything discuss, they just sudden my account and steal funds from my account. So i requested them that its only Freelancer.com we are working and relying please accept apology and let us work to become better with experience but they saying same stupid things, sorry we have no option, account closed by administrators this and that.

I still hope, if they understand man learn from mistakes.

hasanuzzamanl
3/16/15

* Have sold a domain through their site freemarket.com.
* Client funded escrow and freemarket asks me to transfer.
* Transferred site to client
* Client released escrow (informed by Freemarket)
* Freemarket holds payment for fifteen days for "security"
* After fifteen the dashboard shows a hilarious processing date "Mon, 5 - Tue, 6 Jan 1970" with status "Not enough Funds"
* Raised support ticket to larao@freemarket.com
* Received copy paste reply from "Frederick Newmore" that the issue is being investigated.
PLEASE LARAO, DO NOT POST A COPY PASTE REPLY, CAN YOU INFORM WHEN I WILL GET MY MONEY?

imranm19
3/16/15

I have worked on freelancer since a year. I only received 38% of what I have earned the rest is taken away by freelancer as monthly fees and project fees and I have worked day and night struggling. Finally, I found another freelancer website which allows me unlimited bids and there is no signup or monthly fees/plans and yes, you can sell gigs too on this site. I love Meetlancer which is faaaar more better than freelancer.

Tip for consumers: Meetlancer.com which is faaaar more better because freelancer is taking high fees to and also playing frauds keeping the money. I recently joined meetlancer and now I am happy.

adebayoo
3/16/15

This site is know for fraud. They hold your hard earned money despite having charged you for the project. I wonder why governments have not done anything to pull this site off the internet.

sergeyb11
3/15/15

Hello people. I working on many freelancer sites before as programmer for many years. I have profile on freelancer with 500 over reviews with 5 of 5 stars. But last two month's there is very strange things happens.

1. I worked for one of employer for few days and then get reversed transaction for over 600 usd. Freelancer notify me that he used stolen cards. No problems, sure, my fault - not site issue to allow high risk transaction processed.

2. Today there is another issue. I finished project about 2 month`s ago, but my account get reversed transaction today for 300 eur. When I contact support, they tell me about employer account have some issues and because of it - he reversed 2 month old transaction. Issues with employer account no described, because of "As per our Privacy Policy, we are not allowed to disclose details about other user's account."

It is very bad experience for me now. I planning to leave this site because there is no confidence about this things will repeat for other projects.

Tip for consumers: Not recommend to work with freelancer.com

rohans7
3/14/15

It has poor service, lot of hidden charges and it also stops services for better people. I lost so much money in this site and their support don't even support and give recorded messages. They are a bigger scam company. I would suggest for both employer and employee stay away from this website.

Tip for consumers: This is a scam company... Stay away... It loots both employer and employee.

basile104
3/12/15

Was a user of Vworker. It was superb, these guys acquired it and made it a worse site.
Took all the money which i had gain telling its the fee for not using freelacer regularly.
If they were gonna take my money they should have informed in prior to deduction.

Minimum payout has also been set which is crap. We might get paid only less amount for small work and minimum payout will kill it.

Tip for consumers: Never use it

ronakj
3/11/15

Hello Lara,

Greetings!!!

I am Ronak Jain and i am from company doomshell software pvt ltd. My company created account on freelancer before many year and we are continuously working on freelancer.

But 2 days before some one hacked my company account and created three projects all three projects warded to only one freelancer. Hacker also transferred $450 from my account to another freelancer account.

My company owner generate a ticket to related to this before 2 days, they asked 5 verification questions but the account created before many years so i am not sure they will be correct or not.

We are continuously trying to talk with online support desk but no one is available to chat with us.

Kindly suggest us how we can talk with freelancer to activate my company account. As my company has fully verified (phone,email,payment) on freelancer.

Username is doomshellsl.
Company belongs to jaipur, india.

Looking forward to your kind response.

Thanks,
Ronak Jain

miroslavm
3/10/15

I ve been there for few months and finished about 10 projects, out of 10 i got paid only for 2 of em although i finished all 10 on time. Employers are not obliged to close projects and release milestones EVER so the argument regarding that milestones are a security measure which keep both the employer and employee safe is FALSE! Projects with open milestones can remain open to eternity and never close on itself! Beware of that website as you will spend lots of time delivering SLAVE work for people you cant ever trust! I also posted tickets to the tech support and they gave promises to contact employers on these ever-open projects. I NEVER GOT ANY FURTHER FEEDBACK.

Tip for consumers: BEWARE - SLAVERY! If you know anyone who is considering to start working on this website or already started to work there tell them for my case and case of many others. I spent months as a slave freelance writer.

shahn1
3/7/15

My id is logodesign2252. I have done a logo design for a client. The client was very happy with my work and paid me for my work. After few days, freelancer has closed my account. I asked freelancer support. They said, the closure has done from the administration and we cannot do anything about it. I asked, 'what is my fault'. They again replied the same thing.

Tip for consumers: This site will eat all your money that you will earn from service buyers.

mirn13
3/4/15

In past i hd worked on Travels Co. as accountant i worked there around 1 year & part time work on freelancer.com,, after torch-er of lots work & getting less money i decided to resign & i started work on Freelancer.com Full Time..After a few months Alhamdullilah i got many more projects & i didn't never see back...Now I hv Good Data entry team of 12 members...I m extremely thanks to Freelancer to make my future bright.

Regards
Mir

Tip for consumers: Freelancer.com is safe & secure site...I would recommended to all

pr1839
2/28/15

HI,I AM FREELENCER.COM USER.I HAD WORST MY EXPE. REGARDING TO MONEY.I GOT OFFERED PROJECT 26666 FROM CLIENT.I ASKED TO CLIEN'S REQUIREMENT.THEN HE REJECTED MY PROJECT.AND I DEMANDED A MILE REQUEST STONE.HE DID NOT REPLY TO ME.THERE WAS BAD OTHER EXPE FROM FREELENCER.COM.MY BALANCE WAS SHOWING -2666.60 INR.I DO NOT UNDER STAND.WHY WAS SHOW MY BALANCE IN MINUS.IT WAS RIDICULOUS EXPERIENCE.

elizabeths72
2/28/15

Account closed, money gone, you don't need to know why, just shut up and keep walking.

Freelancer.com closed my account and reversed all payments I did. Their answer was this "We cannot go further into detail with regard to this as a Privacy Policy."

So, you took my money, closed my account and kind of telling me now to "keep walking" nothing so see here.

They are acting exactly like a school yard bully. Freelancer does what they pleases and don't even bother to offer an explanation.

Tip for consumers: Do not use freelancer.com

andreat18
2/24/15

the worst experience ever.Hired a guy from Greece you gave me all his qualification's so gave him a chance,didn't understand anything and cause days of delay's.Tried to get payment's abck from freelancer,what a scam,asking all the time for verification but still saying you can make more payment's.Opened a case with Pay pal then get bombraded with request's from freelance to cancel pay pal dispute,but still no money back in my a/c,will not give up and don't you either,they try and wear you down delibertly hoping you will give up,but we all work too hard for our money so hang in there and bombard pay pal with all your complaint's,eventually they will withdraw freelance from there site.they have all the info they need,simple,just put my money back into my a/c,the freelancer who i hired even emailed me 2 day's ago he has refunded my money in full,but still no word from freelancer.if i don't get my money back i will sue them and hopefully get a class action going which is an excellent idea.

Tip for consumers: absolutely don't ever use

sarahb127
2/22/15

i was working with freelancer since it was vworker < i didn't so much work but i used to like it
lately several things happened:
1- i was awarded a project and a milestone was released to my account then because of an issue with the employer the reversed the operation and took the money back and also the project fees after , contacting them i received a reply that this is something done when there is a suspicious behavior with the employer account ( which unfair to freelancer , it is not my problem if you are not checking employers) then honestly after contacting them again they refunded the project fees

2- i accepted a private project with 150$ then immediately i was charged with 15$ project fees ( this is something written on their website how does the charging goes ) but actually i needed to reject it and the reply that i can't and i should contact the employer or they will do if i want to cancel the project and i will not receive any refund so i accepted the project and they took the 15$ and if the employer cancelled it he will not be costed anything and it i will not get my money back

i don't understand how it works but it seems to be safer to used the website as employer or fraud rather than using it as a freelancer

i need to add something
the support team are very helpful and i always get a fast response, but my problem is with the website way handling money of freelancers

klausp1
2/19/15

Any one not understanding what's going on on Freelancer.com Read the posts here. All is true.
Benni25 Mauritius Translator Translation Freelancer.com

The freelancer or company under the above mentioned link conducts poor business practices which I can confirm as a victim.
I was contacted by this individual (i don't think it is a company) on oDesk.com They said they were a translation company looking for staff. They asked for a test of almost 900 words which is unusual. Translation companies normally would ask for a test for less than 400 words.
When i refused, "benni25" said they would pay for that test. I accepted believing in his good faith. He said it would only take a few hours to review the test as he already had that text test translated. I delivered the text and the next day he contacted me again. I thought it was to concrete my payment. Surprisingly he asked for another test. I asked whether he had the results of the first test. He said NO. I told him I would prefer to wait for the results of the first test, get my payment and then proceed with the second test which he would also pay for. As per this unusual approach i decided to investigate. I contacted Mr. Klaus Deschka at VinPilot.com who resulted to be a client of "benni25". I sent my translation to Mr. Deschka who confirmed that my text was exactly the text he received from benni25. He has paid aprox. USD20 for that text. I had agreed with "benni25" USD 34,36. With this evidence, I confronted Benni25 who immediately put down his web site www.bennitranslationservices.com and the email addresses he had used to contact me: odesk@bennitranslationservices.com and accountsdpt@bennitranslations.com. DUMP was my first conclusion. I understood in that moment how some freelancers are able to offer ridiculous rates for a translation. I decided to contact many of the clients of benni25 on freelancer.com. All of them had realized with the time that benni25 has delivered them very poor translations and that they had to have those translation redone increasing theirs costs. I can mention xtblue (writers for right) in Pensacola, Usa, Steve Coy at TotoIt Group, a freelance translator Jan Krister and many others. I reported Benni25's profile to the Freelance.com administration with no results. They were blind regading this unscrupulous behivaiour even though i provided the testimonials of his clients on that site. How can Freelancer.com allow such individual to mislead clients and other freelancers? How can Freelancer.com allow an individual to dump prices to compete in advantage with honest and professional freelancers? How can Freelancer.com allow this individual to keep delivering translations and some other assignments with a doubtful quality affecting the corporative image of the clients using his services? This is really sad.
Please visit http://www.propertytailoredmanagement.info/benni-translation-services/ for more details on this issue.
Should you be a freelancer.com freelance professional of company hiring services and you have been victimized by benni25 please address to the site administration. Perhaps they need to collect 100 testimonials before proceeding with justice.

charliey5
2/12/15

At first look, the bidding system seemed ridiculous as people bid such low amounts from India, Pakistan etc. that I don't know how anybody remotely good at their job gets a look in! Also - paying for the tests?? You have to pay to answer 40 questions in 15 minutes that you haven't been prepped for.
I bid for a virtual assistant job, 'company' had good reviews and had used Freelancer for a few years so thought i'd give it a go.
Next day, get an email to contact the guy via Skype to discuss the role...upon getting on Skype it wasn't the role he had advertised but wanted me to write a 1000 word essay on South East Asian education for around $20. I politely declined and he then suggested another role, being in a YouTube video for his clothing brand. It seemed (semi) legit but I was not too keen, he persisted and asked to see some non-revealing clothes from my wardrobe so I could wear them in his video. Ok....I (stupidly) showed him, on the hanger, a buttoned up shirt.
This was not good enough, he then requested I took my clothes off (on camera) to show him, upon saying no he then asked me if I had any strapless top's or a mini skirt to wear. I felt extremely uncomfortable and said so - I kept trying to politely end the conversation so he would go away but he then proceeded to tell me to take my cardigan off and stand away from the camera so he could see all of me. At this point I cancelled the call and went straight to Freelancer to report him - whilst he continually harassed me on Skype.
I have not heard anything from Freelancer in regards to this, my partner also wrote an email to them and has not heard anything. I am not going to be the first female this has happened to but I feel they could respond to mine and my partners (several) messages.
I have only been on the website for a week and after my experience and reading the reviews below I am going to come off it.

christ2689
2/11/15

I prefer Elance. I have all kinds of issues with nickle and dime charges with Freelancer. I can not get a hold of anyone at the company and they will not refund my money for the silly charges that their competitors do not charge for. I spend all of my money at Guru.com now.

Follow up - The response they posted below is false.

Tip for consumers: Dont let them have your paypal info!

andyh39
2/8/15

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day, if you gave him a fishing rod he'd probably go on freelancer.com and tell you he was an award winning fishing mogul with a fleet of 40 ships ready to do the best work he can for you for a dollar.

The client see the bottom line and goes for the best price. Get's landed with somebody who can only just paint a smiley face using his own feces, get's burnt having being oversold and under delivered. Never to return to the site and hires a 'real' person anyway.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is subject to opinion but the site does nothing to stop false accounts being set up with other people portfolio's, Nigerian scammers looking for you to sell things on ebay and the 'exams' they have are ridiculous, oh let's see, can I Google the answer? Yes, yes I can, wow I passed, yay, that must mean I'm a professional now. They've probably hired a 'professional social media expert' for a dollar to try and stem the tide of crap reviews on sites like this...(waiting for reply)

If you want someone with 'l33t' skills by all means go to freelancer.com however if you want a professional, try anywhere else, I hear there are some descent designers who live under rocks...

Tip for consumers: Don't.

zijadak
2/7/15

Totaly bad website i was there since 2013 i am professional website designer but site is full of employer who took your website and later wont relese money or open up dispute to take it back from you also if you win dispute they again need confirmation from employer so you can withdraw that money i will show you screen shoots how their freelancer support makes fool from all of us i deposited money from my card so i can recreate milestone and open up dispute and i wined dispute but now i cant withdraw my money because employer dont want to give confirmation for it. On this way they holding your money and earn from your back and you work as a fool for nothing i think this is last thing they did to me in last 2 years since i working with all 5 stars rating i am mowing to elancer or somwhere else

Screen shoot of freelancer support telling me to wait for permision from other guy to withdraw my money -.-

also i will attach picture how long i strugle to win dispute and get my money from them i wait allredy 6 days but before that i needed 2 months to win dispute against employer and now when i am winner i am also a looser i wont mention that my account was banned for 15 days before i deposited money also i lost tons of employers because of that

Tip for consumers: Dont fall to catchy design and professional looking site they will do everything to hold your money or to close your account for no reason if you want to earn go somewhere else here you will lost your time and your nervs thank you

carmenf7
2/6/15

We had a very very bad experience with Freelancer.com There are no professionals and what you get for your money is the worse thing I ever experienced. We send 1400 USD to freelancer.com in 2011 and found only students from all over the world which have no idea from webdesign or other things. So were so frustrated, that we paused till 2014, when we saw that freelancer deduced from our account every month 10 USD dormant fee. But the worst thing: they have stolen all our resting money of 960 USD from our account. We have contracted a webdesigner from Mexico (we are also from Mexico) trough freelancer.com and released this 960 USD to him to realize a webproject for us. But Freelancer only paid 35 USD to him and all the rest of 925 USD is blocked and we cannot get it!!!! Our account is in zero and the mexican webdesigner will no longer wait for the money and quitted the job since he waited since september 2014. Freelancer.com forced him ti identify himself, he did it. Than freelancer.com forced us to identify us and we send a identification issued bu the mexican government, but it is still not enough for freelancer.com Now they want see our driver license, our bank account, they want to know what we discussed about our project and other things........ the only thing they want is that we give up and they can keep our money. But we will contact the police in Sydney and Commerce Chamber and we will post our experience all over the internet. It´s a real scamming site and they want only your money. What a f..... with this site.

Our claim number: (VZL-765-10392)
What has Freelancer.com done since the last week to solve our problem?
NOTHING else than send us new questionaries to prove our identity.......

What we have done since the last week to get our money back?
- we have reported Freelancer.com in ACORN (Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network)
- we have reported Freelancer.com by the Consumer Protection Commission from the Australian Government
- we have reported Freelancer.com by the Australian Taxation Buro because for sure they have not declared as their income the stolen money from their customers
- we have reported them to the Australian Embassy in Mexico
- we have reported Freelancer.com by the Mexican Police (it was a recomendation from the Australian Federal Police we have contacted), they will go in touch with the Australian Police. The Mexican Police recommend us not to send more personal data from us to Freelancer.com (for the supposed verfication process), because if they have already stolen our money, we don´t know what they will do with our personal data .....

What we will do the next days:
- we will contact international press which will write an article how we experienced Freelancer.com
- we will contact more australien relevated authorities
etc etc

Tip for consumers: DON¨T USE FREELANCER.COM It´s a real FRAUDULENT WEBSITE.

rs68
2/6/15

Useless completely useless scam of a site, and there's no way to stop the automatic monthly deductions until you find the very cleverly hidden secret cancel my account button - buried behind several pages (in the frequently asked questions page). I tried changing my credit car information, both: the expiration date, AND the number, to get free of this travesty but it kept reverting back and secretly billing me, Do NOT sign up for a paid account - it is of absolutely NO benefit to anyone (except perhaps a few husewives who want to pay $40 for 32 pages of illustrations. There is nothing professional or worthwhile going on here!

Tip for consumers: Don't!!!

macv2
2/6/15

According to this site system, after posting project feedback, the other party gets 14 days to post their feedback.
But I see after whole 2 months and after my feedback published, they let client to post feedback and to publish after that cheater saw what I wrote for him.
After whole 1 month they let him publish his feedback..
The site is totally unfair. If you are looking to waste your time and to work like a slave according to this site crappy support, then only sign up there. Otherwise, just go to odesk.com.
They are the best.

dougd15
2/4/15

I found 2 main problems with this site: 1) if you're a profesional going to offer your services, you will never be able to compete with those "low prices" advertised by competitors. Yeah, lots are not even living in "rich countries", 2) If you're going to hire, and get tempted, by those very low prices for everything, you may have some problems when it comes to overall quality.

Tip for consumers: Ask for a test (your own). Samples sent are usually better in quality than the final work done. Reading past and recent customers experience about a giving worker is very helpful.

peterj65
2/4/15

I make a account on freelancer.com, my user name was petershoplok and you guys know what was strange thing, i created milestone of 150nzd to freeancer, and after 1 week i found they closed my account and money was stolen by freelancer.com, neither they paid to freelancer nor they refund to me and when i asked them whats the reason to close my account, what they told me have a look to this -

Hello,

Thank you for writing back.

AS previously stated, your account "petershoplok" has been closed by Freelancer.com administration. We offer no recourse for rebuttal for this penalty.

According to the Terms & Conditions (Section 23. Right To Refuse Service):

"We may close, suspend or limit your access to your Account without reason. Without limiting the foregoing, we may close, suspend or limit your access to your Account: if we determine that you have breached, or are acting in breach of, this User Agreement; if we determine that you have engaged, or are engaging, in fraudulent, or illegal activities"

To view our Terms and Conditions, please visit www.freelancer.com/page.php?p=info/terms

We look forward to your cooperation and understanding.​

---
Regards,
Eugene P.
Freelancer.com Support

I am not going to use freelancer.com in future and will also suggest all my friends to never use this, yes i will loadge case against them and will share this thing to all of my places and what they told to freelancer.com is that funds refunded to me, liers

Tip for consumers: Never use this, use odesk, elance any site but not freelancer.com they are thiefs nothign else

evelyne3
2/4/15

Freelancer.com is such a huge scamming website i have ever encountered. Recently i completed a project with employers full satisfaction and got paid.After about a month, the amount employer paid was reversed back without even letting me know.

When i emailed freelancer support, they easily replied "The funds that were used by your employer to pay for your services were disputed through their payment source. This is the reason why the funds that were already transferred to your account were reversed.

We recommend that you contact employer to remind them of their account issue so that your earned funds can be reinstated in your account."

When i contact employer he wont respond. I am shocked how can freelancer reverse amount paid after a month for the service i provided already? Now who is going to pay for my service? I am never going to use this site again ever!!

It is not a freelancer's concern if Employers' fund is under dispute or account not verified, freelancer.com should keep that in mind before releasing payment. They cannot simply reverse payment just like that.

I have been using this site for a long time now, but these days they have made the site so inconvenient imposing unnecessary rules and fees. I regret to say freelancer.com has become a huge scamming platform now, if you are new users- please dont use it. There are other freelancing sites that are more safe and secure.

At least they dont "Reverse payment" once you complete project successfully.

Tip for consumers: Be careful! dont be happy you are awarded a project, freelancer.com can easily reverse payment that you received after successfully completing project even after 1 month or 1 year without even informing you!!

staceyi1
2/1/15

I received an email late last night from freelancer.com employee Savanah with a blackmail attempt. Demands were made for the return of my $1000 that I paid for services which were never received. I will be updated my compaint with ACCC regarding this and informing the Australian police!

gregorb
1/30/15

A complete joke. I was using them since 2007 and have published over 100 projects. They used to be great. I was always able to get incredible tallent at incredible prices. But now they became Godaddy of freelance websites. Clutered, confusing, with coins and bonuses flying all arround. Complete waste of time. It shows in the quality of workers too, they are VERY, VERY LOW quality. I think all the tallented people migrated to other websites.

Tip for consumers: Do not bother, thake your business somewhere else.

dainisg
1/29/15

Freelancer.com really is the toughest place to make it. Compared to oDesk, Elance, Freelancer has the highest fees you will pay even if you get enough work.

You can register and submit 8 bids per month for free.

As with all big freelancing sites, their biggest trouble is with support and high fees. Freelancer has the lowest ratings of all marketplaces, at SiteJabber review site they have got 374 1-star ratings and 26 5-star ratings.

We did massive research about top 8 biggest freelance marketplaces out there, comparing their fees, pros, cons and how to make it out there.

Different marketplaces are for different people. You can read the research here - http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/best-freelance-websites/

andriyl1
1/28/15

Freelancer.com is scammers they thief my money from paypal under cover reason check my finance source for start first project

Tip for consumers: Not give check your paypal!!!

chiragp3
1/28/15

he reverse payment three times after 2 yr of completion project.

and gives reason that employer close his account.
worth site , never use it. its buggy sites and at last of year you paid more then your earning to freelancer.

In short you waste your time with freelancer.

NEVER NEVER USE IT.

Tip for consumers: Never Use freelancer.com its buggy and always deduct and reversal payment after close or complete project. customer already paid successfully and give you good reviews

they deduct reversal after 1 yr of completion of project

Never use it , Minus Rating to freelancer.com

samz8
1/27/15

I run a top website about luxury villas rental where I rent top luxury villas 10k +.
I have made assignment to someone who have bad skills and he did not made as agreed and even worse , he DESTROYED my website www.luxuryhomegate.com and in dispute I need to wait a week even both and seller and i , full field before we go on arbitration where they ask 10 dollars for. plus ????!!!!

This is the worst website I have ever experience in my life and would not tell to my enemy to use it again .

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE FREELANCER EVER . Go on fiverr if you have some minor problems or go to professional and try never to pay before work is done . pay never in full. to anybody. Not even professional agency.

kus12
1/27/15

Hi,

This was my first experience with using freelancer.com and it was worst.I posted a logo contest there and I selected winner but winner design was unable to deliver my logo as per my expectations.I deposit total 7250+ INR but freelancer.com refund only 5375 INR.

My contest id was: 135164

If there is any freelancer officials here look into my case refund my complete money in my debit card from where I deposited funds.

Thanks

ku.Si.

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: is it worth to appear in tests ?? is it safe to pay test fees through debit card?
2 days ago
hankp7
A: You can always try it, but I have to agree with Andy; most employers look more at the work you can deliver for the best price.
You can also take into account what Lydia and Sam said. You do have people with good experiences as well so you can always try and see how it works for you. However, I would advise not to keep a large sum of money in your freelancer account. Keep exactly what you need each time. Withdraw what you earn immediately after you get paid!
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: I registered on the website under free membership, and was just about to upgrade the membership but thankfully i saw these reviews. At first instance, I was very happy and excited to see the projects on the site.

Can you please explain the feedbacks and also Can i still trust on you and upgrade my membership.
stefanc20
A: well , i got the 5$ membership , if you are to try your luck always take projects or give projects to people who have more than 2 good reviews .5$ bucks a month for 80 bids it's good but like i said it's like the Russian roulette ,say you make 10 projects for a person and 10 months later they find him as crook like they are , they will automatically withdraw the money you got from that person . So good luck or try elance or odesk
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

28 Photos for Freelancer

Freelancer?
Click here to post a review