US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

minth

I found out someone was trying to withdraw the money I earned, good thing they saw it and I was informed. (in 552 reviews)

johnt83

I add two hundred dollars into the account, then my project stalls. (in 517 reviews)

bharats2

which can be 3% to 15% of project cost depends upon your membership . (in 455 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

garyb136
5/26/16

My account was hacked, and i saw they took almost all the money via posting fake jobs, as i noticed this, i made multiple tickets. when checking i saw all the money come automatically back to my account. the full 600 something dollars USD.

then got an email from Elizabeth C. stating my account is hacked, clean and reformat pc. i did this and now no reply!! been so long since then and not even a reply saying she received it. live chat just says they cant help.

my other tickets: one wanted me to reply, but my account is blocked so cannot reply and then they close the ticket. others say i need to refer to the ticket Elizabeth C. has made. and no replies from them either!

i am a very patient person but this is ridiculous. they block you and you cant reply on their site unless you make another account just to chat to them for them to say they cant help.

Tip for consumers: think hard before joining if you need support in this venture.

caimaol
5/25/16

It's hard to find "withdrawing membership". There is no reminding email for reaching your one month trail. Even you got the charging email from Paypal, you cannot withdraw your membership. Following are the reply email from Paypal:
"Thanks for your patience during our review of this case. Unfortunately, this transaction isn't protected by PayPal Buyer Protection. As a result, this case has been closed and we're not able to take any further action."

michellel131
5/25/16

I cancelled my "free trail" one week before it ended and have been charged twice $10.48 to my paypal. Thinking I made an error, I tried to log into my account. I was notified my account was closed. So these people have my account information and feel entitled to charge me for monthly fees on an account which doesn't exist. They appear legit- but don't give them your personal info. Robbers.

shahzada3
5/25/16

I have completed many projects for which got paid and then after a while, a corresponding reverse payment is made because of no reason. Moreover, I need to reply to reviews of my clients but can't find how to do so.

They support always for employers/clients.

Employers/Clients make project, create milestone, after some time not responding.
When we (freelancer) use 'Dispute' then Client Remove project and all money reverse from our account!!!!!!!!!!!

Please take serious Freelancer.com !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
Cheated & Dissapointed

danielk66
5/24/16

Just used Freelancer.com and had a bad experrience. Picked a freelancer and he was terrible. I did not release and money but had to put a large deposit down, over $600. I was very unhappy with my freelancer and decided to go to another site as I had great experience there. I used upwork.com and 99designs. Should have stuck to them and not tried Freelancer.com. I had to fight the person I hired to get my money back as for some reason they have power to hold your money hostage. After a lot of back and forth and filing a dispute I had to pay $50 USD to get the rest of my money back. Just a terrible customer experience. Again there are much better sites out there that are cheaper and just better in general. Let Frelancer.com die out and the competition win. Back to Upwork or 99designs. Even Fiverr was better!

Tip for consumers: Don't.

aliz36
5/24/16

dont go to hospital or have a car crash if you got project running on freelnacer thats my advise or just give a donation and pray you get your work done.
i had two experienses one was with content writer: who thank god was somehow honest and delivered away of freelancer

dont go to hospital or have a car crash if you got project running on freelancer thats my advice or just give a donation and pray you get your work done.
i had two experiences one was with content writer: who thank god was somehow honest and delivered a way of freelancer

the second funny experience my collegue posted a development project and paid down payment to a guy who was also in contact over skype but he keeps act as if he dont get what we want then found out that he is just passing project time frame so we would be blamed...so he raised a dispute my collegue had car crash and was in the hospital and found out when he got back on his feet the full project money was withdrawn cause he didnt respond to dispute mail! without even them checking on the messaging log or checking that there was no single file uploaded by the guy with the complaint...and when i asked them how you give yourself the right to take such action and asked for refund i got a response (sorry you can communicate with the freelancer and see if he can deliver u any service for your advanced payment) and the funny part that if i want to complain for my $ 250 i need to contact legal department in Australia...well i'de rather share their mails and responses than paying long distance to discuss common sense they give themselves the right to pay off your money to people didn't even deliver

below some of their support guy response

Hello Victor,

This is an update regarding your concern.

I understand that you were not able to respond on the dispute filed by the freelancer on your project "OpenERP print forms templates - 6079956." These funds were withdrawn by your freelancer, rajpatel4609, and we cannot retrieve them without their confirmation.

I have sent an email to them to communicate with you for the completion of your project. Please refer to ticket ID: PHK-489-51016.

Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

---
Regards,
Will C.
Freelancer.com Support

ashvinm1
5/23/16

After waiting for a long time to give back to my normal account to get help from freelancer. Freelancer without seeing anything they directly put negative in my account. My account balance is -$2206 USD :(

One of my client which I was working his project via Freelancer. Client checked his bank account and found so many membership charges from freelancer so He put reversal action which membership charge applied. But unfortunately Freelancer put my account in Negative. Where I have completed all project also done by client. So there was no any reason to put my account in negative.

I have asked many times to Freelancer to put my account back to normal But every time they says that they are contact to client. But that is no any reason to put my account in negative. Where I have very small business and grow up slowly slowly where this problem stopped my grow business.

This was happened on 24-Sep-2015 and yet to solve :(

I have very good review and rating in my freelancer account where i was getting more projects but after all stopped :(

I think this Freelancer support are pathetic.

I have to give 0 start but unfortunately not available.

marow1
5/23/16

Ok. I wish, this $#*! page will removed one day.. they charged me 8 euros when my account was CLOSED . And they said me that it was because after closed account it automatically renew "plus membership" band of tards

Tip for consumers: nobody

abhishekr6
5/23/16

Freelancer always does frauds and full of harassment.

- Takes Unnecessary charges.
- Posts Fake projects in order make your bids wasted. ( Their Earning Policy)
- His commission Deduction First, wether the project is moved onward or not (stopped by the client). They always thinks about money.
- Great deal, fraud in currency conversion. Always makes fraud.
- etc

Today I don't have enough time to write more. I think this is enough for today.
I will write later.

lindseyg26
5/21/16

During my time on freelancer.com, I only participated in contests.

These contests were absolutely horrifying. Nearly every user who entered had (1) completely ignored the guidelines set by the contest host, or (2) essentially copied the top-rated designs and then spammed the entry. Then they create fake accounts to "like" their own images & make them more visible.

But by far, the worst offense was that a ridiculous amount of users just stole images and logos from other sites, and did so without consequence.

I actually had a contest where I was the first to enter, I corresponded with the host to improve my design, and I spent upwards of 8 hours making something they would like. But when my design became the "top pick", a good 10 or 15 designers went and copied the image almost exactly. Even so, I thought I was fine because I was still rated the top design by the time the contest closed.

And then another designer, who was clearly using images stolen from google & photoshopped (mind you, the guidelines stated it was to be an "illustration"), was awarded the prize at the last minute.

This was not Freelancer.com's fault, it was the host's decision. Regardless, that was the last straw for me. I'm not about to spend hours on an original design just to have the winner be someone who slapped together an image in 5 minutes, especially if they just essentially copied my entry. And I'm certainly not going to continue making designs for employers who couldn't care less about anything other than the end result, even if it's created illegally.

If thousands of users on a website consistently violate copyright law without consequence, why would I feel like my work was safe from suffering the same fate?

From what I've been reading, I'm at least thankful that I never gave them access to my bank account.

sanketk
5/18/16

my name is sanket kumar iand my id is sanketkumarsing before 18 days i wirked on one project and i get a 900 dollar they r verified my account but after widrawal i have seen after 16 days the r sending me a mail my account is limited and send me a verification link i verify with my id and code and they r accepting it after than they ask me i have know about the employer out of freelance and i said u can check my chat i bid on his project and after compltation he had paid me but they review my account and till date my account is limited and they didnt relese my money and dont send me any mail i think this website is a completly scam thay dont give a money to freelancer after giving the employer so guys i think its a completly scam

Tip for consumers: this iste is completly scam they dont relese my money and still my account is limited

ahsana4
5/18/16

Freelancer is simply Best ! their verification process is slow if they improve that process. Then I must say there is no better platform for freelancers and buyers on the earth than freelancer.com. Also I want to give credit to freelancer representatives on this site are simply awesome ! They instantly resolve users issues. So all stars goes to them 5/5.

Thanks Freelancer !

nafeesam
5/16/16

I have completed many projects for which got paid and then after a while , a corresponding reverse payment is made because of no reason. Moreover, I need to reply to reviews of my clients but can't find how to do so.

raymondm49
5/15/16

Filled with scammers, and the site itself takes no action to assist Freelancers except to take their money. They took over 80 bucks from me, and haven't bothered to respond to my compaints about it. Do ot use this site if you value your money.

tawhidurrahmand
5/15/16

I am Tawhidur Rahman Dear. I was working as a Freelancer Web Developer in freelancer.com but suddenly they closed my account keeping 12 USD there. They never specify actually which clause of Terms and Conditions imposed to me, and actually what I did. Not only that before taking this of type action, administration did not contact with me that I can clarify my position.

I OPENED A TICKET TO INFORM THEM THAT I CAN'T ACCESS MY ACCOUNT. THEY REPLIED ON 4 DECEMBER 2015:

"Hi Tawhidur,
Thank you for contacting Freelancer.com Support.
We regret to inform you that your account has been closed by Freelancer.com administration. We offer no recourse or rebuttal for this penalty.
As noted in our Terms and Conditions, Freelancer.com reserves the right to terminate users for creating problems, falsifying Freelancer's own or any other identity, legal liabilities (actual or potential), infringing someone else's intellectual property rights, engaging in fraudulent, immoral or illegal activities, or for other similar reasons.

To view our Terms and Conditions, please visit:

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.
Kind Regards,
Kathie R
Freelancer.com Support

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: FVZ-896-16840
Status: In Progress
Customer Support HQ: https://www.freelancer.com/support "

THEN I ASKED TO KNOW MORE actually which clause of Terms and Conditions imposed to me, and actually what I did. THEN Edward D. Of Support Team REPLIED AFTER 12 DAYS TO INFORM ME THAT THEY SENT MY TICKET TO TIER-2. ON 21 DECEMBER 2015, I RECEIVED THIS EMAIL:

"Hello,
Thanks you for emailing us back with regard to the closure of your account. My name is Frank from Tier 2.
I checked your account and I can confirm that it was closed due to security reasons. Please be informed that we won't be able to provide further details as to why we decided to close your account. If we are to disclose further information, it may lead our users to get around with our security.
Although we understand that you want to continue using the site, I'm sorry to inform you that the account can no longer be reopened again.
I trust I have clarified our position regarding this matter.
---
Regards,
Frank C.
Freelancer.com Support"

THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY CLARIFIED THEIR POSITION. HUH!

(For screenshots - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-20uXMfCWcaZW90YVFDT3JBVnM&usp=sharing )

johnc531
5/15/16

3 x separate payments were taken for the same job from my paypal account as the site did not show that payment had been received.

As with other users who Freelancer say they will refund,they don't so I have logged a complaint with paypal for unathorised transactions.

Please please learn from our mistakes, I will certainly never use this site again

chakerl
5/14/16

1/ Site takes taxes on everything " Project , winner , contest , request , test skill ...."

2/ a Lot Justice betwenn the freelancer ...

3/ in 99design.com I resquest payout in 48h I have money , in Freelancer 30 day pending don't receive anything ...

miloss3
5/13/16

If you are freelancer who wants to earn some money or make a living from your work, stay away from this site! There are many others which offer far better services and support than this one! We were working for some for some people from India, we have created for them many functionalities like login, register, payments, redesign... And we had a lot of harassment from their end. They refused to pay in the end because we didn't want to do additional staff for free (which weren't part of the project for which we bided). So we field a dispute hoping that their dispute team would solve this for us. After we have delivered all the evidence that we have created what was asked in project and documented for them, other party (employer) only provided few comments like evidence which were like, font was bigger than it supposed to be, or margin was a bit bigger here...
None of the real evidence was delivered that some of the functionalities weren't working or that code was bad...
In the end we were accused for communicating with employer on skype and they ended dispute in favor for employer.
Freelancer team said it was evident that their work was not approved by the buyer as the final output. Isnt it obvious that if they stick to original posted project we wouldnt have a problem? And that we wouldnt file a dispute?
If they have tested site and code, like they should when they have this kind of situations, they could see what was going on. This very much points to their unprofessional behavior and that someone who was doing it wasnt paying too much of attention while doing it. We were left with 47$ USD, which were released for first milestone. And for other two milestones for which we field a dispute freelancer said that we should get 0.00$.
We were left with nothing for our work, freelancer took their cut from the dispute and from the full price that we should have received, and employer walks away with money and project. If you are missing some bad experience in life, freelancer is the site for you. If not than avoid it!
Look how much negative reviews they have here. It says a lot about them.

Tip for consumers: Move your business on some other site. Don't bother with this one.

johng337
5/12/16

The support on this site is f***ing terrible. Automated response after automated response. Here's my story. Over two months ago I signed up to use this site as a freelancer, I've made decent clients and a decent amount of money...but they won't give me that money. I put in for my first withdrawal, for this they have a 15 day waiting period for new freelancers, I get that, whatever, I waited. All of a sudden 15 days later, without reason, that transaction fails. Next I put in another withdrawal, still being patient. 15 days goes by, I'm looking in my account, nothing. Then I'm told I have to wait another 12 days for the withdrawal. If you're keeping count we're at 42 days of waiting to withdrawal a small amount of money. All the while I'm trying to explain this to support, asking politely what I can do to expedite the process, receiving these BS copy/ paste responses. Which brings us to this week, when suddenly on the day my withdrawal was supposed to come through I receive an email telling me that they've chosen to "limit" my account and I'm unable to make withdrawals. At that point I'm p*ssed, but they still have my money so I do what they say and send a scanned copy of my license, a scanned copy of proof of residency, a photograph of myself holding my ID. Then apparently they are trying to get in touch with my clients to see if I'm a real person. So my clients are getting these messages claiming the person they're working with may be, what, some kind of fake account? Tarnishing my reputation with the people paying me. Wish I had read some of these reviews before signing up.

Keep in mind I pay the subscription and they've made commission off every one of my projects. Leaving this review up unless all this bullsh*t gets resolved.

UPDATE: This whole process is making it obvious to my clients that this site is a scam and they aren't willing to put up additional personal information to get "verified" on the site, so it looks like this bullsh*t site is keeping all of my earnings for the last TWO MONTHS. Can't get in touch with them in any capacity other than the threatening messages they keep sending saying that if my clients don't complete this process soon they're keeping all the money in my account.

Update II: So now that my clients aren't willing to comply, Freelancer has taken the money out of my account, punishing me THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS COMPLIED and refunded my clients for the work I've done. Here's the catch - their accounts on the site are frozen too so that money is trapped in there. Now if they want to get that money back to me, they can't because they can't withdraw from their accounts. All the while the site is refusing to even get in contact with me anymore.

STAY AWAY - BEWARE

kieronh
5/12/16

I have a comment below, which STILL has not been replied to or actioned! We all need to come together and take these b@ST@Rds to court for taking our money.

hariomt
5/11/16

Freelancer.com has worst support, they are harassing me because buyer is asking for refund. This is ridiculous. Support is asking to give refund to buyer just because buyer has asked them to do so. There are no proofs and nothing, even when files are transferred to buyer but buyer is asking for refund and why he will not because freelancer support is ready to give him refund and ready to harass me

shawnf30
5/11/16

I have recently joined this site and been submitting entries to contests here is what my experience has been so far.
Most of the top entries I have seen are stolen images off google and anytime you submit a entry the contest holder likes there will be 20 clones from the other designers unless you pay to have your design hidden from others. I reported a stolen vector and there seemed to be no punishment for stealing from others as the user did another submission right afterwards.
I work hard to create my designs from a blank page so I don't appreciate the copying.
So if you like to have stolen images from google in your projects or to have people steal your design ideas then this is the site for you.
Can anyone recommend a better site to do designs for people it would be a great help.
I am going to keep an eye on the site in case they change the way things are and make it better.

johno100
5/11/16

Posted a job and awarded to a person - before the person accepted Freelancer withdrew $160 from my PayPal account. The person awarded the job did not accept and I canceled the job and Freelancer would not let me refund the money - they said it would take two weeks. What a bunch of scamming Australians!

freelancingj
5/9/16

Freelancer's OK, wait until I withdraw on freelancer. I am fairly satisfied with other representatives except Jerome C., who wasn't able to help me at all.

I'm looking forward to receive my money on due (as listed on the category of processing date). I have 55 trust score and I don't know if it would help me get my money earlier hehe.

shahnr
5/8/16

Have been using Upwork for a while and gave this a go, didn't work out so well in the end, but helpful customer support if you are persistent.

sampoornad
5/7/16

How can i trust you after these reviews.

mekeys
5/6/16

Well, here is my story.

Couple of months back, my account got limited for a project worth $2000.
I somehow submitted my documents to get it verified. My client, could not verify from his side so I insisted freelancer support to give back his money and atleast put off limit from my freelancer account so I can continue my work.

They did it.

I was charged 200 USD for accepting that project though, so I had negative balance of -200 USD.

Which then reduced to just 119 USD.

Yesterday, I completed a project of 35 USD on freelancer, but I got only 10 USD overall.

They again limited my account for reason of reversal of deposit made by me from my credit card. I mean, Really??

I dont even own a credit card.

Few days back, I had made my first ever deposit of 5 USD just to get the membership, & thats it!

I even tried to check my transaction history, which also said that NO deposit was made by ME.

This show totally mis-behaviour of Freelancer company & how they are cheating people for no reason.

They are spoiling careers!

Tip for consumers: Beware! I had worked with freelancer from last two years with no issues.

However, in last couple of months, they are totally pissing me off.

damarkeusb
5/5/16

This is the worst business on earth. I deposited $257 into my account but debited 514 from my paypal. I wanted to get all my money back but they kept saying we will expedite it to our finance department which doesn't exist. I am making bad reviews on all there site and will talk to a high rep in paypal to come to an agreement to blacklist this company. It's time to take them down. This site is a giant SCAM!!!!!!!!!!

melissam121
5/4/16

There is a good reason this site sucks, because people you get what you pay for. Freelancer.com pays poverty prices. People want to pay you $30 for a logo, or $2-8 dollars an hour.

Well guess what, educated and qualified designers won't work for that, so you are going to get poor jobs, done unprofessionally. You are going to get a company that charges and withholds money etc. Or people who don't finish a job.

Hire a local designer or web dev and pay for it. Don't use this site. The Walmart of Design.

I've been to a presentation one of the CEOs did and it was a joke and he was quite dismissive when I presented the poverty wages as a problem.

atifk1
5/2/16

Blatant thugs in an online age. I can't believe they can even exist like that? I mean outright rip offs. I got a fake client and he asked me to do a trial job. He forced me to do more work without payment otherwise he will cancel the project.

I cam to know that Freelancer but a transaction on my card that I added to receive payments. They post jobs, charge introduction money wow- for $2 job they charge minimum $6? Are they even real- and the owner of the site acts as visionary. When he is nothing but a cheap low life thug with no ethics even to cheat with respect.

Tip for consumers: Stay away at all cost. Save your energies, time and headache for better things. Best part is the client left feedback even after I canceled my account. Check the thumbnail I attached. Site asks me to check feedback and I don't even have a login. Guess what I had already canceled. This shows it was an inside job. They post fake jobs and charge you for it. Win/win for them. Lose/Lose for you. Lol check other thumbnail- account is closed. Hahaha what a joke this site is. Interpol must take action-

ampeda
5/1/16

Have you been victim of freelancer.com?

Do you know that: Freelancer founder earns $235 million while customers of the site are ripped off

Freelancer, an Australian registered Internet company makes millions while abusing Australian consumer laws. Caution use this site at your own risk as Freelancer takes no responsibility.

If you want to try to contact the management team: http://www.freelancer.com/info/management.php

Here is their direct email address and phone numbers:

Nikki Parker, Regional Director, North America, Australia & New Zealand, Tel +61 427 173 025, Email nikki@freelancer.com, or Evan Tan, Regional Director, South East Asia, Tel +63 908 882 8519, Email evan@freelancer.com, or Jorge Azurin, Regional Director, Continental Asia, Tel +63-908-867-3373, Email jorge.azurin@freelancer.com, or Bill Little, Regional Director, Europe, Tel +44 (0) 7940 924555, Email bill@freelancer.com, or Sebastian Siseles, Director Regional para Latinoamerica, Tel +54 911 32 60 07 30, Email sebastian@freelancer.com

If there is not result them please follow this direction below:

1. File a government internet crime complaint with: ic3.gov/default.aspx

2. Report fraud, visit: stopfraud.gov/report.html

3. File an online complaint with State Attorney General: oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

4. File a government consumer complaint with econsumer.gov/english/report/overview.shtm

5. Report to Australian Competition Consumer Commission: accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems

6. Report to Law Enforcement: aclei.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

7. Report to Scam watch: scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/693900 ; ALSO asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/Complaining+about+sales+offers+and+promotions+of+consumer+goods+and+services+ASIC+site+version?openDocument#State or territory consumer affairs
8. Report computer, internet-related, or intellectual property crime: justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/reporting.html#C4

9. File a complaint with Office of Fair Trading: fairtrading.qld.gov.au/make-a-complaint.htm also: acma.gov.au/Citizen/Take-action/Complaints

10. Contact investigative reporters from TV Channels and Newspapers / magazines and all you guys will provide evidences to them. Please save all your email received from freelancer.com

11. Register complaints with as many review sites as you can "Google Reviews, Yelp, Business reporters and other private organizations .... etc"

12. Post Blogs. Minimum 1 SEO article per day till you will see the result on google, yahoo and bing.com. Spread the word by posting on your blogs, create new blogs, Blog Comments, Guess Posts and invite others to share their similar stories they faced with freelancer.com etc. Please keep posting on all social media....

This website is seriously full of spam with F rating customer service. They also charge you money to take exams where as other freelancer website such as Upwork does not. A client closed the project on me that has cause me losing 10% of "his" proposed money.
This month I started to look for gigs on Freelancer.com. After spending 60+ dollars on exams to look more qualified, someone contacted me for a 600 dollar virtual assistant gig. As we talked about the specific requirements, he wants me to contact him outside of freelancer.com. I sensed that this could be a spam so I refused. (Also in the terms and conditions we are not allowed to contact sellers outside of freelancer.com). As I waited for his response, he deleted the project and disappear all together. Later I checked my bank account and realized I had being billed 61 dollars without freelancer explicitly bill me anything when I accept the gig. I realized why they keep ask us to create a paypal account. I should have refused to create one.
Contacted freelancer customer service, they told me I cannot get my money back. (There was no "service" provide to me, so why should I pay 61 to you Freelancer.com?) and the sellers' account has been closed. The gig has disappeared as well.

I am seriously pissed off how this website exploit the already poor Freelancer by imposing numerous fees. I didn't even realized that they had asked me for a foreign transaction fee. No where mentioned. I will want to request all of the billing inquires and see how you guys lied to me!!

To the freelancer customer service rep:
Sorry I will never contact you through the useless email or ticketing system on Freelancer.com. I dare you respond to my request on here directly instead of handling everything "behind the curtain" so that you can "delete any evidence as you wish".

I am sick and tired of the terribly deceiving customer complaining system you had created on Freelancer.com.

adriannib
5/1/16

I 'll have to steal customers.

bryanl47
4/30/16

I've been using freelancer for 5 months now, and have had a few minor difficulties along the way. The last one, however, was a doozy. After running a project through, my bank account was riddled with additional (unexplained) charges from Freelancer, coming from Switzerland, so my bank stopped future payments to them.

After trying to make a legitimate charge, my bank denied the charge due to the suspicious activity mentioned above. After calling my bank to approve the legitimate charge, they cautioned me to be careful and DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION. I was able to deposit money into my Freelancer account after that, but when I tried to release the money to an artist, I was informed I couldn't release the money because of a security reasons. The solution (after getting a robot email response from customer 'service' was that I needed to give them my telephone number to verify that the money they had put into my account was secure - even though I've spent $2000+ on 8 different projects already). They wanted my phone number, even though a financial institution told me not to give them any personal information. I told Freelancer I couldn't give them my phone number and their response? Nothing. They email that it is for security reasons, but the response is the exact same wording with no clarifications. I've tried to chat online, never gotten an agent to actually chat, I've sent multiple emails and gotten the same respnse without explanation, and (here's the ironic part) haven't been given a phone number to call them about this. Now I have an artist who has delivered her work, I have funds that Freelancer is holding, and they won't let me release them to the artist or return them to me until I give them information my bank told me not to give them. One frustrating thing is that if you do open a ticket, they will respond with a cookie-cutter respond and then mark the issue as resolved....even though it hasn't even been addressed!

Bottom line? It seemed like it had a few problems at first, but now they appear to be downright shady. The fact that banks and credit card companies flag their activity as suspicious should be a clue about the company's way of doing business. Upwork.com is light years ahead on service and security.

UPDATE: Freelancer responded, saying they needed my phone number for security, so thank you for responding! Unfortunately, I'm still not sure how you having my phone number assures security or why it is asked for 6 months after joining the site and $2000+ later, or why their patterns of billing activity threw off suspicious activity alerts at both my credit card company and my bank.

I also still find it curious that they need my phone number for security reasons, but they refuse to give out their own phone number to customers...

monikap2
4/28/16

I was using freelancer it was a new account i have upgrade my account to buy bids of 1999 INR..and they ask for verification process just after a day i buy credits as if i don't do verification they will not allow me to withdraw fund..
I have provided all documents as required and a day later they have deleted by account..
don't trust on freelancer there are many other freelancing sites working in a right and ethical manner.
These people are fraud and eating peoples money of hard-work in wrong ways.

Tip for consumers: Fraud people i would rather love to spend my money on other trusted websites like Upwork, Guru, etc

matts108
4/28/16

This website is a scam, full of bogus jobs, and the worst customer service one could ever imagine. I asked for my account to be closed on 20 April, now they are taking out membership money without my authorisation. An absolute bunch of frauds, and should be shut down.

While freelancer did eventually refund the money taken without authorisation, it was an utterly painful process, that took a very long time to get fixed. Still warn people to not use this service, and stay away!

staceyj16
4/27/16

They stole $1000 from me. I hired a guy from there that after 3 weeks said he could not finish the job anymore for me and was going to cancel the $1000 payment and refund me the $100. The money was never refunded and freelancer.com have ignored all of my messages. Then they lied to paypal by providing them with fake evidence showing there was a website built, after arguing with paypal for a hr I finally got the website address freelancer claims to of made for me and all it is, is my name on a website that is under construction. I think Paypal is working with them because they make money from working with Freelancer.com

Now I am $1000 short with no website.... They literally stole $1000 from me then froze my account and will not email me back or respond to any of my messages.

I want to open up a law suit against freelancer.com and paypal please contact me so that we can work together to make a stop to this and get our money back

email me at s8587215@gmail.com and put in the subject Freelancer.com scam

Lets put a stop to this

arifk4
4/27/16

Ok, my story is as follows.
Back in December 2015 I commissioned a developer to build an app for me. The agreed price was £2700 but Freelancer added hidden charges for the international conversion from USD to GBP and passed them onto me. Disgusting act ONE. This ended up as a final total of around £2912. I disputed this with them and I should have realised what I was letting myself in for when robots (or that's how i can describe them) kept repeating the same line about this being my fault etc etc. In the end, they agreed in writing to waive this fee as long as I deposited another £2700 into my wallet and they would refund the original amount back to. Like I have £2700 lying around to give to this bunch of crooks!

So fast forward 2 months and the app is built and the milestone payments released. I then decided enough was enough regarding the extra conversion charge Freelancer levied on me so I asked my bank to carry out a chargeback on the £212. The bank duly refunded me this money back.

Now, you would think this would be the end of it. NO, not with these thieves. Through their obscure terms and conditions they took wait for it...£2200 out of my developer's wallet blaming my chargeback action for it. Yes, they actually have done that!

The knock on effect of this has been horrendous. I can't get my app off my developer as he is £2200 out of pocket through Freelancer taking his money and I am £2700 out of pocket without an app to show for it. The winner: FREELANCER! who sit there nice and pretty with other peoples' money.

So, they then ask me to go through their "verification centre" where someone new comes on every 7 days to send one line of rubbish about cancelling the chargeback. This is when they have agreed to waive the charge in writing! If I don't do this, then they will not release my developer's money and therefore my app. Call it a virtual human shield if you like..

My bank are useless to the point where I can't even claim my money back through services not received as there is no "proof" from Freelancer's website on a date of receipt of my product.

This has dragged on and on for months to the point where I've given up hope of ever getting my money back or my app. I have had to lose the initial £212 chargeback by cancelling the investigation through my bank as I need my app. I have to take that on the chin.

Problem is Freelancer now making demands about me providing documents that the chargeback has been cancelled when all they have to do is check their bank statement! Honestly, the nature of these people is INHUMAN.

You know what makes it worse? My app was aimed at helping disadvantaged children who are Dyslexic and Autistic but that doesn't matter to these bunch of crooks. They want their pound of flesh and few measly ill gotten dollars and they don't care if innocent children get caught in the crossfire. Collateral damage I believe they call it. I put all my savings into this project and unfortunately these children will never get to see this app which would have helped them and their families tremendously. When you have no mercy on innocent children then you really have lost all humanity. That is bad karma. It took me a year to save this money up only to lose it in an instant.. It doesn't help that my developer is a heartless b...ard who accuses ME of fraud. That hurts even more.

I would love to take these people to court if I could afford it but being in the UK and them being Aussies, I have little chance of success.

I will no doubt get the customary robotic "customer service" email on here for public show of course. Just to show the readers that they take this seriously when in fact they couldn't care less.

So that's my story and all in all, it's a living nightmare. I just wish I never used them in the first place. I implore any readers, please don't use these criminals. They will rob you blind. I have to somehow come to terms with losing over £3000 which took me over a year to save up, bit by bit.

All I have written is factual. If Freelancer want to dispute that, I am more than willing to show the public who is right and who is wrong. I have all the correspondence.

Good luck people and wish me luck too :(

UPDATE: Even after cancelling my chargeback to resolve this, these criminals demand letters which my bank simply cannot provide as it's not their policy. I will NOT stop posting reviews against you Freelancer till the day I die. You are thieves, that's all you are. Return Steven6's £2200 to him so I can get my app back.

maxinew11
4/26/16

Getting a lot of bad reviews are your company real or scammer?

Anne L.
Freelancer deliberatley posts fake projects to exact fee from clients

stanislavn1
Stanislav N.
Just a.w.e.s.o.m.e.

eg262
E G.
Scammer Heaven
4/24/16
You can't trust anyone on this site even though Freelancer.com claims that they do verification checks. Even the employers on there are scammers. I completed a job and as soon as it was finished and time for me to receive payment, the employer was ghost.

Garbage.... read more

shirlyj1
Shirly J.
Scam!
4/24/16
Suddenly close my account without any reason.... read more

tanveerj
tanveer j.
Freelancer is a good plate form but heaven for scammers
4/24/16
I have earned a lot of money by working hard as a programmer. In 2013 a person hired me to work on http://www.cardsbus.com after completed my job he release the milestone and I have got the money.

arunp8
4/26/16

Some 100$ are there in my account. My account got limited 2 days back. I submitted all the documents and ready to submit any other further document too. I sent the same documents to support@freelancer.com. But no response from them. I got payment from my known client who are taking chat support from common friends. His account also already security verified and my account also security verified. Now all of the sudden my account is security limited. And verification department is taking lot of time to review my documents. I followed all the rules and regulations of the website and paid all the charges. Ready to accept any changes if freelancer points out.

Why very slow in my case?? Please act fast. I need to withdraw my money.

==============================================================

In this security verification part , Freelancer is very slow. This is creating lot of frustration in my mind. All the reviews given in the net about freelancer.com is really true. Not at all good in handling support and verification issues.

No idea what to do now?

================================================================
Freelancer team responded positively. Advised me few things. I am happy now with the website. 5 stars goes to them now. Looks like it is a good thing. Initially I got frustrated. But we need to follow terms and conditions. It is good right?

mirog
4/25/16

Misleading support, hidden charges, unfair business practices. Lots of mess, just stay away!
They have secretly billed for an account that have been inactive for 2 years.

Tip for consumers: Stay away, choose other alternatives!

mayurib
4/25/16

I requested for withdrawal of $48 but after two days the withdrawal status was insufficient account. So i cancelled the withdrawal but instead of credit of $48, now the website is showing me balalce of -$43 . They unnecessarily charged me $91 and debited my $48 and again showing insufficient balance of $43. I have attached the screenshot of the transactions. I never get such entry of reversal of project. This website stole my money of 2 projects.

I hate this site. They are cheaters.

tecg

Hi there,

I have been working on site and it was all good. One of client charge back 649 euro and my account balance become negative. From last week i receive no response.

Freelancer.com saying: Please deposit funds make account balance positive. They stopped my bidding. I cannot place bid on jobs.

What is my plan, open bidding so i can bid on jobs and earn so balance can be settle. From last week i have never heard from help. Please resolve issue ASAP and lift restriction from account of bidding so i can work and resolve account balance. @Lara, already send you email check ticket for yourself SCK-721-93671 and other ticket on site JZM-186-26584.

Waiting for it to be resolve ASAP so i can get started.

Thanks.

annel71
4/25/16

Although there are legitimate projects on Freelancer, the site does it's best to exact bogus fees from Freelancer. In fact it even runs an algorithm with a fake company called Faithartistry in order to trick new freelancers. You are offered a $600 job from Faithartistry.com. If you accept you find out the company does not exist, but Freelancer still exacts its $60 fee without a refund (unlike sites like Upwork which have built in protections against fraud). I was contacted by this algorithm twice, exact same messages, and even sent a text message telling me I had been awarded the job. Freelancer benefits by scamming unsuspecting clients, and I caught them in the act. Beware.

stanislavn1
4/24/16

I've finished job with fixed price, but employer just deleted the project and closed his account without paying single $. I was charged for project fee. I did screenshots of the project before it was deleted, but support is silent. This site has definitely worst payment system. Basically you can create account, deposit, create a project, get what you want and pay nothing. Just cancel deposit, delete the project and close your account. I wonder why it's still working.

eg262

Garbage.

UPDATE 4.29.16**************
It gets worse if you contact customer support! I really think no one there has any clue what they're really doing; random different people will e-mail you asking for the same information even though you've already sent it. They even have a random worker on Site Jabber.

This is why scammers use Freelancer.com. They know that if you go to customer support you'll get the runaround and they'll just go on their merry way and look for the next chump to steal from.

JUST SAY, "HELL NO" and trust the reviews. Freelancer.com is really as terrible as everyone says it is.

shirlyj1
4/24/16

Suddenly close my account without any reason.

tanveerj
4/24/16

After some days freelancer deducted around $400 which he paid me for some tasks I have done. Just give me the reason client charge back. BUT WHY ?? No reason.

When I have done the work then why freelancer refund employer's money. Well as I have got good experience so I bear the loss and started working again with new clients.

Last year again I get a client who need work in urgent for first task he paid me 300euro even the task was 70% completed. So I started live chat with freelancer support that I am in doubt this employer is a scammer and please review his account/identity etc etc. The support guy checked the account and confirmed me no issue and money is yours and you can withdraw the amount. Well I was keep working for him hard. Within 10 days he give me a lot of work for day and nights and paid me around 1600euro. Including some design work so I have hired a designer in my office and get the work done.

I have got the funds in my payoneer account and I have paid to designer but again same story after almost a month the client charge back and my account has gone into negative. I have worked on some other project almost $400 which freelancer deducted and remaining around -1220euro still in negative. BUT WHY CLIENT CAN CHARGE BACK IF HE GOT HIS WORK DONE ? WHY FREELANCER CAN'T GIVE PROOF TO HIS BANK ETC THAT HE PAID FOR THIS WORK OR WHY DON'T give any details to worker about the payment which employer used to scam ?

My career was depends on freelancer.com as I was doing full time work on this plate form they have just given me free membership for few months but why I work again to cover the loss. Why I bear a big loss every year ?

I have requested them on different plate forms to resolve the issue even on the CEO's twitter and their fan page etc etc.

I am sure no one will respond me from freelancer. I want them to make my balance 0 so I can continue working.

Regards
Tanveer

Tip for consumers: As a employee never start working on this plate form instead you can use any other plateform where you can establish profile for your life.

alexb155
4/23/16

Freelancer.com seems to be a great idea but the way the system works might mislead people. The portal claims it is safe and offers money back guarantee, but is not true and the customer service really ignores people, they take several days to reply through a ticket base system, always with evasive answers that just protect their abusive policies, and the phone never answers.

Freelancer allows the possibility to offer services all over the world, as well as customers to receive service outside their country boundaries, they just forgot to follow other countries laws and guidelines. Such company claims to be the market leader should not mislead and ignore customers this way, and I am pretty sure America is no longer accepting this kind of treatment anymore.

glorisa
4/22/16

They aren't clear about the money they charge on freelancer, they never tell you they'll charge you everytime you accept a job, no matter whether you accomplish it or not.
I'm really disapponted and I'll NEVER USE this website again.
I lost 50 $ they charged me for a job I never did.

goldlovingm
4/20/16

We are hiring lawyers in Australia to sue freelancer.com
We will create a website to collect those victims's proofs .

They eat our money for no reason .
and
They don't give back your deposit (They say : "delay", actually they won't give back the money and waiting for your forgetting )

150 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
2 days ago
Add your answer
2 days ago
Add your answer
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Freelancer staff and other customers.

79 Photos for Freelancer