US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

glennr24

Then I called customer service and had the good fortune to confer with Carla. (in 9 reviews)

mjs2

Thus, I would not recommend it for background checks. (in 4 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

marileneb
1/27/15

I have had a great experience with beenvirified.
I only needed to check on myself and the information was accurate as I had expected. When I cancelled my trial offer I expected some resistance from the sales agent but it was pleasant and easy. I highly recommend this service. I give them a five star for service provided and customer service.

miked122
1/25/15

Hi
I was about to try the $1 free trial but then I read all these negative reviews about your company complaining they were charged even after they canceled before the trial period ended, no response to calls or emails, unable to reach anyone on the phone, etc. So now I am fearful of joining even the $1 trial.
Regards
Mike

nevas1
1/25/15

They suck because they have WAY TOO MANY wrongs about me. I can't even begin to say all that is wrong. Glad I looked on here to read about them before I PAID to use thier site. I hope nobody believes the crap they report.

nicollew
1/22/15

So I was frustrated to see I'd forgotten to cancel my membership and when I called to get it handled, I expected the run-around, to be honest! But to my surprise there were no lengthy waits, no double-talk, no hard sell! It was just a guy on the phone who was pleasant, professional and willing to handle my cancellation without delay!

I was pleasantly surprised!

As for the service itself, I got exactly what I wanted and was pleased with what I got (the report)! I just forgot to cancel is all...that was my bad!

craigv7
1/22/15

Great website for finding phone numbers and addresses. Simple and easy to use, my go to site when I need either phone numbers or addresses.

glennr24
1/16/15

This morning began with confusion about my beenverified account. Then I called customer service and had the good fortune to confer with Carla. She pleasantly and patiently explained the source of my confusion and left me with a very positive impression of the Been Verified company. Carla is an outstanding ambassador for your company...and, I predict, destined for rapid professional advancement.

kimg25
1/16/15

Like many other posting here, I've attempted to cancel my contract via email three (possibly four) times now, with no response. My account is still being debited monthly for $22.00. Tried phoning, I simply don't have time to sit on hold for hours. Besides, if they don't respond when I have sent email as backup, do you think they will admit to talking to me on the phone? Don't go there! Learn from my mistakes

guyd16
1/8/15

Just like so many others I didn't check for reviews on Beenverified before forking over for a month. No excuse really. My report gave a comprehensive list of all addresses for over 30 years, but the information I really wanted was PREMIUM and required an additional $10.

Classic bait and switch. The social media search comes up with somebody else, certainly not me. Yup, I got conned. I'm going to contest this charge on my credit card. I got next to nothing for my one month charge!

Tip for consumers: Don't do it.

tylerh32
12/9/14

What a rip off!! I searched myself before considering this service for our company to do background checks on potential employees. As I normally do, I should've research the reviews on this service first!!!
- Says you're getting unlimted access to their reports. Not true! Roughly half their reports have additional costs.
- The social report requires an email of the person you're searching. I have mostly business emails. Most people set up social sites with personal emails and even then, it was a joke!
- the only property they listed for me was a house I owned 14 years ago! I've owned 3 since and my existing address didn't even show up.
- I have two speeding tickets in the last year and a half. Nothing showed up.

Worthless....tons of other background sites provide better data.

Tip for consumers: Don't do it!!

travisd14
11/14/14

Right in their "Membership Agreement", that you must Agree to by checking the box, it states you get a 7 day Trial when you sign up, however they do not live by their own agreement and will charge your card at least $1 up front. I can't Accept an agreement that they won't even adhere to, and their customer service rep hung up on me when I asked her why they wouldn't stick to their own agreement.

Tip for consumers: Find a reputable service, not these clowns!

so2644
10/29/14

I tired the FREE trial & they've been automatically charging my credit card for months. Even with an e-mail verification that services were canceled. My credit card provider stopped & reissued a 2nd card to stop BeenVerified automatic billing. They still found a way to bill me. They billed me twice in August. I’m still waiting for six months of credits from this company.

melissah29
10/28/14

I hope you read this before you buy. I should have. I would have saved my money. Worst research database I have ever seen. I will be cancelling before my month is up.

jackiea18
10/27/14

I signed up for the 7 day trial which I paid $1 for back in 8/18/2014 and cancelled the very next morning with a live person. This past week on 10/24/2014 I'm at the gas station and my card gets declined. I check my bank account and find out Been Verified had been charging my account $25.47 every month for the past 3 months. I call Been Verified immediately and tell them that those charges have never been authorized and I cancelled back in August. They apologized for the oversight and issued a refund immediately.

However, the other issue was the insufficient funds fee that my bank charged me for their charge. My bank charged me $34. I call back and let the 2nd rep I speak with know that there is no way I'm paying for their mistake. That whatever they have going on internally is not my fault and I did exactly what was instructed to do to cancel my trial.

The 3rd rep I speak with has the nerve to tell me it's not their fault that I didn't have sufficient funds in my account. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? And it's my fault you guys made a mistake and made a fraudulent charge on my account? I know how much money is in my account and did NOT authorize these charges. I'm sorry I don't have a cushion for delinquent companies making faulty charges on my account.

Now, I'm waiting on an email for their "escalation department" to let me know whether or not they will cover my insufficient funds charge. Which by the way was guaranteed to me by the 2 reps I initially spoke with AND their supervisor. If they do not cover the fee that my bank is charging me I will report them to the Better Business Bureau.

I definitely would not recommend Been Verified to anyone. After doing a little more research I found out that there have been hundreds of people that have had the same experience as I have and they are notorious for sketchy situations like this. Just Google "Been Verified Reviews" and the words, scam and fraud pop up all over the place. I have no idea why this company is still operating. Not only do they seem like they are unable to fix this internal problem with taking people's money but they provide subpar results. Not even worth it.

apoloniag
10/25/14

I wish I had read the reviews on this site before I forked over money (lesson learned). I ran several friends and family members, and came up with nothing. My children do not exist, my parents are still alive, and friends that I know have criminal records are coming up clean. Don't waste your money!

samj44
10/23/14

Well -- this program doesn't let you rate anything less that one star or I would. Save your money! Misses a great amount of data. The social media search is useless and can't even find Face Book accounts. I have friends that have a HUGE digital footprint and BeenVerified can't find any information on them. They also bait you by locking fields that you can unlock for more $$$$. I would say to definitely stay away.

juliec31
10/19/14

After going through the lengthy sign-up process I was so happy to finally get to the "Get Report".

Error: "Your zip code is incorrect". What? I've used this card for years to shop AND I've lived in the same place forever. I retype the Zip and submit again.

Error: "Your card is declined for insufficent funds." What? You mean you took the funds off the first time when the Zip code was supposedly incorrect? Isn't that the whole point of matching zips so you DON'T take money when things don't match. Thank goodness I only had enough on the card for one month or you would have taken two.

And worst of all, now you have my money but are not giving me access to that report I wanted so badly. I should have read reviews first.

I called customer service immediately and got a lackluster "check with your bank/our credit card processing is done by 3rd party/nothing we can do/you'll get your money back within 7 days/ if you want you can try another card."

I replied that I wanted the glitch in the system reported so that maybe other people won't have to be inconvenienced like I am. Take my money, but don't provide the service. There's a word for that....

Tip for consumers: Any site that takes your money for a week, but won't give you the report because your zip code didn't match...needs to REVISE their business practices. Unless they publicly announce that they have, I won't be using them.

janicec15
10/16/14

I subscribed to this search company. They reported records that had been expunged by the court. When I tried to talk with someone about this all I could do was email a support area. The 800 number was only a order taking area. I have repeatedly asked to speak with someone but all they do is email me telling they didn't receive the information I faxed to them. This is not a good company to do business with. If you can't talk to a person to resolve a serious issue you don't want to give them your credit card information.

rickk28
10/9/14

Initial introduction to site did not seem to reach background data desired, so deleted search. Next day got a "Special 5-Day Offer" for just $1.00 to get the report I had searched - paid by credit card and got marginal report with much missing information with which I was already familiar. There are two check the boxes for age, and to get on-going subscription AUTOMATICALLY on charge card IF YOU DO NOT SPECIFICALLY CANCEL THE $1.00 TRIAL. Did not check any boxes, and still got billed full subscription - NOT JUST A RIP OFF...A COMPLETE TOTAL FRAUDULENT SCAM!!

colinf15
10/8/14

This company is a complete rip off to say the least. I purchased a subscription which before I purchased, they showed what was going to be included in the purchase. All I received was a name, address and phone number of the person I searched for. No property, traffic, criminal or anything else I was told was going to be on the report. I spoke to a representative and they just kept telling me I had to upgrade to get additional information. So basically, I paid close to $30 for a name, address and phone number. This is public record! You can get this information online. They basically charge you for public record information, but promise additional options which you don't get. Stay Away!

edo15
9/23/14

Attempted to sign up for the site. Sign up gave an error. Tried a couple more times, still no luck. Contacted customer service. They said it was my CC company blocking. CC company said not them. Contacted Been verfied again, and now it was I attempted too many times, and to wait 24 hrs. Waited, same story. BV has no idea what they are doing, and make excuses for problems with their system. It's not them.. they swear.. Stay away... or best of luck to you

Tip for consumers: There are other sites that provide the same type of reporting.. Do a search.. and save a headache

pamm16
9/22/14

Total joke. They couldn't find anyone if they were slapped across the face. The trial is an even bigger scam and god forbid you check the wrong box because they start taking out money before the account is even confirmed. When you call customer service they do nothing but offer you the $1 for the 5 day trial and keep the rest that you had no idea they already took.

taras16
9/17/14

Total Rip off! I cancelled two months ago, June 2014. I am still being charged the monthly rate. Called again and was told since I didnt use all my extra 'features' I could still use it until end of June 2014 at no charge. I have not used the service for 2 months and still being charged. I cant get anywhere with the stupid customer service reps. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!

**Update 9/13/14: I contacted customer service through their website over a week ago. No response. No refund. Nothing. This is a get rich off people who don't know any better kind of company.

***Update 9/17/14: My original complaint date was 9/02/14. I finally get a "response" from Carla, 15 days later. Still no response from emailing them through customer support on the beenverified.com website. I provided customer support with my member # and email address requesting an explanation of why my account was still active after cancellation. No response what so ever.

Carla.....beenverified gets bad reviews because you are charging peoples credit cards without authorization. This typically upsets people. The fact that you take money that doesnt belong to you costs people time and money to fight you to get it back. So, Carla, your scripted responses do little to rectify the situation. "Without additional information, I cant help you"----haha what a joke. How about a public explanation of why I was charged and continue to get unauthorized charges in spite of cancelling. If it's "human error", you guys sure have a lot of errors. According to other reviews, you have done nothing to help the situation. You screwed up when you ignored me and stole my money.

Tip for consumers: Go somewhere else

cyndeei
9/16/14

WOW! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE! THIS IS SO SAD THAT WE CANT GET THE SATISFACTION THAT WE NEED (WITH $22.86/MO) I COULD SAY WITH BEENVERIFIED YOU'LL WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME! I SEARCHED FOR PEOPLE TO HIRED ON SINCE I NEED A NANNY THAT I COULD TRUST! SURPRISINGLY, I FOUND NOTHING ON THEIR BACK GROUND WHICH MAKES ME THINK THAT SOMETHINGS WRONG. I SEARCHED THE PEOPLE THAT KNOWN AS CRIMINALS AND NOTHING SHOWS UP ON THEIR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND! IT MADE ME SO DISAPPOINTED! I CALLED BEENVERIFIED (ASSISTED BY THE NAME "CODY"), HE SAID SINCE I ALREADY SEARCHED 6 PEOPLE HE COULDNT GIVE ME THE WHOLE REFUND BUT I COULD CHANGE MY PLAN TO THEIR LOWEST PLAN WHICH IS $8 SOMETHING. I DONT HAVE ANY CHOICE BUT TO REPLAN SO I CAN GET AT LEAST HALF OF MY MONEY BACK! BEENVERIFIED DISAPPOINTED ME SO MUCH, I WONT REFER THIS TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND ALL THE COMPANIES I WORK WITH.

Tip for consumers: BIG NO! NOT WORTH IT ALL!

erics75
9/2/14

I did searches on known criminals and nothing came back. Total scam. I really wish I checked the reviews before buying into the subscription. Luckily I paid 1 dollar for a five-day subscription, and so I will call and cancel and then see whether they continue to charge me the full rate or not.

If you look at the replies by some of these BeenVerified reps here, they do not do any kind of deep search. It appears they only receive the kind of information you can receive for free doing the search yourself, which proves how much of a scam they are. Stay away or you'll be sorry. They got my dollar.

Tip for consumers: STAY AWAY

altheaz
8/31/14

Total rip off, no information available aside from less than I already knew! I tried it because of a fake site showing they were highly rated, probably created by them. Do not use!!! Waste of valuable time and money!!!

Tip for consumers: Just don't...

jeremiahd10
8/22/14

Non-FCRA companies like this one are fake. You're not only paying for less info than what's available on a Google search, but you're paying for WRONG info. These assclowns and all their scumbag buddies have me listed as a 66yo pedo in California and my sister listed as a MAN. I've reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. Anyone who cares about mother$#*!ers losing jobs because of these $#*!ups will too. Here's the link: http://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Tip for consumers: REPORT THEM TO THE FEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamesm189
8/19/14

Thank you for the reviews, I have decided not to complete my transaction to try it, sounds like a rip off that sound sketchy to begin with, usually there is a free website to check criminal history in each state, such as http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/offendersearch.do?method=view
for North Carolina, good luck and stay aware people

lisak47
8/14/14

you're right. i don't have much confidence in the quality of info. I did a search on a person who I know has a checkered past and nothing showed up. But at least, the company credited me for the monthly fee (which I guess i agreed to when i signed up - not sure how i missed that).

Tip for consumers: wouldnt recommend.

meganm13
7/7/14

Total rip off wasn't even aware of a s.....al offender. I am on hold right now trying to get my money back, will let you know how it turns out.

davidw161
7/2/14

Complete scam! I paid for a trial membership to see if there was any criminal history on my name. Thankfully BV said I have no criminal history found. Then I searched my friend's name who is currently in prison for auto theft, and BV said they found no criminal history under his name. I searched for 3 other names of people I know have a criminal record and BV says all 3 of them have no criminal history. I called BV to cancel my trial membership and they said it's cancelled but 5 days later they still charged my card! Scam!

garyp32
6/24/14

well people thanks for your ratings and comments i decided not to complete my transaction with been verified. good look out.

kevinc72
6/21/14

This web site is a scam to rob you on a monthly basis DO NOT USE
they do not have any way to cancel on the website and continue to bill you every month also the information that you get is bogus crap that you can get with an ordinary web search. when you call to complain or try to cancel they simply hang up on you. this should be called been scammed instead of been verified!!!

harrietp2
6/11/14

This site worked really well as far as navigation goes but once I accepted the $1-5 day trial, entered my cc info, I was no longer able to access the report. It's raining here so I thought it was the weather. I uploaded the android app bc I DO have continuous service on my phone, and still no luck. I get back online and am able to navigate ANYWHERE else on the internet, email, yahoo, facebook...as well as write this review....and I'm even able to get to the beenverified page and do a general non-member search, you know, the one that takes you to report but now you have to pay for it? lol....so, I decide to sign in at that point...as soon as I do, BAM no access. After reading the reports here and the way this is going so far, I am far, far from satisfied and will definitely share this review page openly as well as share my experience with the BBB. I've canceled within 40 mins of beginning my quest here. Seems to me, even if it states you can cancel before the five days is up and not get charged, looks like they were going to "milk" the 5 days with errors until you've reached the end of the trial period. Give me 5 days to see if they charge my account anyway and I"ll be back to write another report and post it to the rest of the world as well....for now, I'm gonna wait and see, yet go elsewhere for what I'm looking for!

vickir8
6/11/14

I agree with all the other reviewers, I am unable to find the correct information on anyone I searched for. Even my report is wrong. I will be calling tomorrow and canceling my membership. Lucily the card I used is a cash card and it only has a limited money on it and not planning on putting anymore money on it. Anoth site to avoid is Instant Checkmate, their site is the same way and I will be canceling them also.

barbh6
6/5/14

Sorry I didn't find this site before I requested a one month subscription. You can't cancel the beenverified service. You are non-existent in their world once you sign up, except to charge the credit card each month. They do not respond to you. My credit card company is now going after them to stop their charges or I will have to cancel my credit card to stop their billing.

AND TO CARLA (CUSTOMER SERVICE)--Good try to make people think you are willing to help. I've contacted your business and get no help, no support, non-existent communication back to me. Gave them my phone #, email address, nothing ever changes with been verified! And they keep charging me every month. And I gave them my membership ID too. So that's not even the problem.

kimberlyc14
5/31/14

I am so upset right now.
Last month my husband and I finally paid off one of our bank loan credit cards.
Today I get a statement and I was excited to see it say 0 amount due. HOWEVER I ended up seeing a "new" charge for 48 dollars by BeenVerified.com. on May 16th 2014.
I go into my sent email archives and see that I had sent that company a email to terminate/cancel a free 7 day trial membership . ( Which I used for less than an hour or so because the info they provided was nothing that I had not already found by myself on the internet.)
The email I sent to support@beenverified.com was dated FEBRUARY the 9th of 2013 !!
Over a year and 3 months ago!
And they charge me 48 dollars in May of 2014!
I called the number I found and it said to call back during regular business hours.
I am so glad I never deleted that email I sent to cancel. Something told me not to and now I know why!

michaels185
5/23/14

Fraud alert...this is another scam website where you cannot cancel...the autobilling shows up on your credit card month after month...even the phone number listed on your credit card statement to reach the company is an automated message that requires you know your account ID number...DO NOT sign up for this service unless you enjoy aggravation and pain.

sf25
5/7/14

The site doesn't even have the current address for the person I was searching. Hes lived there for years and runs a business from it...not exactly a secret. Impossible to find out how to cancel subscription, and when I try to contact company about it,I get logged out of my account

tennysonc
4/19/14

Stay Away, this can be dangerous. In trying to cancel, was unable to find my account, I've only used it once and had forgotten about it. I learned when calling to cancel this morning that the account had been established in the name of the person I was verifying, his email was the account email, all information was sent to him (they claim the email bounced. Luckily this will not create a problem for me it has the potential to be best case, embarrassing and worst case dangerous. I am demanding all my monthly fees be returned.

tb36
3/22/14

I thought it was pretty good. My mother and I used itto search my brother and father just once. It cost 12 dollars I think, but we found mainly true information. I just wish the info waseasier to understand.

dant217
3/21/14

Just discovered somehow they have me signed up for this subscription that charges my CC $48.00 every three months. I never signed up for this. Stupid misleading scam. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this garbage site.

laurelk
3/19/14

this site is useless and inaccurate, anyone can get this information on their own with patience, and what is provided is incomplete and inaccurate per all the other comments. DO NOT USE

laurar32
3/10/14

This site is a hoax and they are stealing peoples money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Almost everyone that has multiple felonies came up CLEAN!!! Total trash they need to be shut down!

cc79
2/19/14

Offered me a 7 day free trial,used the site for five minutes, then cancelled my membership effective immediately through an email to customer service. Doesn't sat anywhere where you will receive a return confirmation email cancelling your membership. Today I discovered after receiving insufficient funds notice from my bank that Been Verified has been charging me $48.00/every three months since the 7 day free trial, said they did not receive my customer service membership cancellation. So my 7 day free trial, 5 minute use now cost me $144.00. Total rip-off, totally pissed. Do not use them!

ms121
2/16/14

Awful company! They turned up no criminal record and we hired a felon on probation for elder abuse to care for a 97 year old man! The felony was confirmed by our family pulling the court records. In hindsight, we should have known better as the free civil court search for Santa Barbara County turned up multiple cases. And the website courtclick for free noted that there were records, and the paid-for results pretty accurately matched the actual records.

markc81
2/12/14

Horrible company! Be careful. I tried the 7 day trial in January 2013. I canceled it right away last year. I just saw a $96.00 charge on my bank statement and called BeenVerified right away. He told me he was sorry but said I didn't cancel it last year. Which mean they charged me $96 last year and I missed it. He put me on hold and came back with "we can only give you a $48 credit" I said "never mind I'll call my bank and they will give me $96 back" He said rather than have you go through all the trouble of calling your bank I'll just issue you the $96.00 dollar credit (what a crock of S#@T) " He said I'll see it in 2-7 days. I'll be watching for it. Scammers!!!

shayb10
2/9/14

EVERYTHING listed below TRUE. I sesrched people who for sure had a record and they came clean and other information was outdated. Im frustrated I have to sit here and waste my time with this comment after I've already wasted my $. Thank God my bank was willing to refund me the money. I wish I would have reviewed these reviewe before signing up.

wilburw8
1/16/14

I have a criminal in-law who was ripping off some family members, so I joined beenverified to see if I could get more dirt on him to help him want to leave the area. He has a long criminal record, including a conviction in this state 9 months ago, for which he is currently on probation. He came up clean on Beenverified, but I can find criminal records on google or the state court website. I got much better info from a credit check that showed judgments against him and a sub-500 score.

**Update** The response posted by the company is irrelevant. As I said before, they showed the individual as squeaky clean, the free public access site from the State of Arizona did not. Being privy to family info, I also know that there is a lot more to be found than either site showed, so spending money to get a check by this company was a mistake on my part that I will never repeat.

billr26
1/8/14

I joined a few days ago but in less than half an hour I was trying to cancel. The information was not there on the people I was researching. I found out more on google than there site offered! 2 of the people I searched had known criminal backgrounds and there company came up clean background. I was charged for the month anyway!! I want a refund!

jeremyw13
11/21/13

I have a felony and multiple convictions on my record and this site said i had no criminal history! I even did checks on known sex offenders and they didnt even show up! This site is a scam and a waste of money! DO NOT USE!!!!