US Government's NSF

360 W 4800 N
Provo, UT 84604, CHE
Tel: 1-800-378-2092
feedback@archives.com

People interested in Archives are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

spencerb24

When you sign up for the free 7 day trial it says in four places it will bill if not canceled in the 7 days. (in 5 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

maryb167
7/8/15

Trying to obtain a Death Certificate for a relative for genealogy and family medical history purposes. The state where she died said go to the county where the death occurred and contact them OR click on this site. I clicked on the site, filled in the info (credit card included) and ZAM! Charged almost $80! I thought, "Wait a minute! This must be cheaper from the county" so I went to the county, found out it was 1/4 that amount, and within 5 min called the 1-800# to cancel. "No problem!" was the response. Imagine my surprise when I got an email a week later from archives.com (did not know this was even the company before) saying they would refund me all but $15 because "we charge a $15 search fee if the order is cancelled before it is submitted for processing." What?! That means they take your $15 for doing nothing and before they even have a chance to do nothing! I contacted their "Customer Service" and got a wooden response. He couldn't adequately explain how they can legally do this, nor would he even consider crediting me. I had to contact my bank who are accepting it as a disputed charge and will kick it back. Awfully close to fraud....

pjw3
6/24/15

I did the free "test" search on my ggrandfather's name which indicated document were available within the Archives database. Once I paid for a membership and did the same search, NO documents were in their database for the same name. False advertising! Then I did a search on my ggrandmother, birth entered as 1840 +/- 2yrs.. Archives search engine returned 101 hits! 100 of the 101 were from the "LIVE persons" database (the other one was on the surname itself). This would make my grandmother 175 years old. NOTHING about her should be located here. This site is a major waste of money and a scam. I GAVE THIS SITE ONE STAR BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT ACCEPT ZERO STARS.

pattis10
6/22/15

I could not get any information from this site.....worthless!!

toms152
5/4/15

I signed up for a free trial. I gave them my debit card, to ensure that I was 18. Lol
I called to cancel within the month. The recording told me to go to the website. The website told me to call the phone number. After waiting on the phone for several minutes the call dropped.
I called my bank to stop the payment. I had to cancel my debit card. Now I have to wait 10 business days for a new debit card. At least I won't be charged $9.95 on Thursday.

sallieg
3/20/15

I signed up for this for 1 month. I then cancelled. Yet...6 months later they are still taking money out of my paypal account, even though my account says "No payment Methods are Available". If there are no payment methods on the account how can they still be taking money from me!! Then I contact them and they claim they can't find my account even when I send them copies of the account, copies of their email receipt for payment (with transaction #) and copy of the page that says "no payment methods...". 4 months and I still can't get my money back. I finally had to cancel my paypal account to get these people to stop taking money from me. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE. The info on it is available on other sites. It is such a scam and impossible to cancel.

Tip for consumers: stay away from this site. It is not reputable and they will take your money. It will take you months to figure out how to stop them from taking your money and in the meantime...they do this to 100s of people and make lots of free money from them. They do not give refunds so don't waste your time trying. Worthless site...they don't have any information on there that other sites don't have.

mistyb7
3/17/15

They told me in an email today, membership will be renewed on 03/18/15, but they took the money out of my account on the 17th. Didn't even give me time to safeguard my money. Isn't this fraud?

carolw36
3/16/15

Took me less than an hour to realize this site couldn't even produce the most common information that's available on free searches. Anything I looked up, they wanted additonal money from my credit card to do. I canceled minutes after joining. Beware of this scam site. They are only after your money and give you nothing in return!

Tip for consumers: Don't do it, dont go there! RIPOFF!

kayleighr
2/28/15

it was a horrifying experience. Tried the 7 day "free trial". Cancelled it after 5 days since you couldn't even get the basic info, including info on myself, I was experimenting, which came up empty, go figure *eye roll*. They charged me $9.99 2 days later, they tried to charge me $40 for the newspaper crap but thankfully there wasn't enough money for that, I submitted a support ticket and even they acknowledged that it had been cancelled and it was in the billing process when it was cancelled. They said it should correct itself. Well it never did but I was just going to cut my losses in hopes it actually was cancelled, but a month later they charged me again, same price for my cancelled subscription. They did not answer my emails, they did not answer their phone. I had to contact PayPal and got my refund and instantly won my other dispute and even had to fill out a form to stop all further unauthorized transactions from them, I repeat, do not do it!

gaylew4
2/24/15

I gave them one star because that was the lowest possible score. It should be a ZERO! Everything everyone has written before me is TRUE! You can cancel if you follow all the confusing instructions but it is not clear or easy. You are led to believe you have indeed cancelled but the charges keep coming. Removing your billing info from the site won't keep them from continuing to bill you.

WHAT A SCAM!!!

josel48
1/8/15

What a scam, they supposedly send a so called runner but they still do not find anything at a specific court. They didn't even take 24 hours to get back to you to tell you that nothing was found, rip off!!!!

I went to the court myself and found the records, public records for .50 cents a page.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING, WELL YOU WILL PAY BUT YOU WILL NOT GET ANYTHING IN RETURN.

janez101
11/21/14

This site is a joke and a scam, and will not refund you your money for anything! I will never do business with such a joke as this site, and these people ever again! They claim to be legit, but I don't buy it, after they failed to properly and professionally do a search for me, and they claimed they were unable to find the info I had requested within the time frame their site had stated (It wasn't even 24 - 48 hours). They also took money out of my account without my permission, and I did not give them permission to renew my membership after my free trial, especially after they still have not refunded my money back for that "search" I had requested! This site is a scam!!!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT do ANY business with these UNPROFESSIONAL people!!!

karenh57
11/17/14

THEY PROVIDE NOTHING! Don't do it!
Free trial is bull$#*! they bill you immediately and give NO REFUNDS when you realize they are worthless and cannot provide what they advertise. They merely give you links to REAL providers that charge by the document. THIS IS A SCAM!!!
WORST WEBSITE! FALSE ADVERTISING! NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!
DON'T BE FOOLED LIKE I WAS!!!

Tip for consumers: THEY PROVIDE NOTHING! Don't do it!
WORST WEBSITE! FALSE ADVERTISING! NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!
DON'T BE FOOLED LIKE I WAS!!!

erins9
11/14/14

I did not find the record I was looking for. So I email wanting to cancel. Well they still charged me forty dollars. I canceled the membership as soon as I was unable to locate a record because it was all old information; nothing current.

sandyc28
10/29/14

BEWARE CONSUMERS! Archives.com is a company owned by Ancestry.com. Yes it has records you can review when doing genealogy research but you are limited to the amount of records available to you. Once you have reviewed the few records they offer on Archives.com they refer you to Ancestry.com for the thousands of records available. The catch is you have to pay for Ancestry.com as well. So instead of purchasing Archives.com on a monthly basis why not make the purchase to Ancestry.com for basically the same amount of money AND you get access to ALL the records. The owner of Ancestry.com and Archives.com, being the same person, is scamming you to get you to join both. Why? To add to his pocketbook. Consumers please don't fall for this scam.

Tip for consumers: BEWARE CONSUMERS! THIS IS A SCAM!

judew4
8/14/14

I subscribed to Ancestry.com for a 6-month period for $49.95. I have a few months left and low and behold I was charged $39.95 for Archives.com...something I never signed up. I never checked out their services or their website, yet out of the blue, they hit my paypal account for the charges. Obviously Ancestry.com is linked into Archives.com and shares personal payment information. I will be opting out early from Ancestry and will not renew. Too bad really, they could be on the up-and-up and still make a fortune from people wanting to do research. And yes, I did check the box so that archives.com will get a copy of this review.

leanneh4
7/15/14

Such a scam! They falsely advertise that you can search for birth records, death records, etc, when all they have access to is census data. Then they make it nearly impossible to cancel your membership. As a matter of fact they have a section for canceling a subscription, which is easily found under account settings and is worded to make you think you've canceled your membership. Then they bill you and refuse to refund the money.

STAY AWAY!

marjoriek
7/10/14

Too bad you can't rate this site a negative 5! I couldn't find anything on my grandmother who lived from 1937- 1977, but I found birth, death, census, white page listings, etc...on ancestry.com. I've only been a member for about an hour, but after seeing these reviews I'm very glad I used the pay pal option! I've also already cancelled my account and am currently on hold with customer service to MAKE SURE THIS TAKES PLACE!

prunellab
6/28/14

Signed up for a free 7 day trial on 5/16. Had to enter credit card info so I gave them my PayPal business debit card. Canceled on 5/23, they confirmed via email that my membership privileges were canceled as of 5/23. WITHIN THE SEVEN DAYS. On 5/24 they attempted to take $7.95 out of my PayPal account AND to take $49.95 out. No money in account (debit card) so that failed. They tried again five more times in the next month. During that month long period I repeatedly:

1) called their 800 number only to be told by a live person that their computers were down and they couldn't access my records.
2) went on-line and canceled (receiving an on-screen confirmation that I would not be billed anymore and that I had no payment record on file)
3) sent them an email requesting they stop billing me

As of yesterday, June 27th, they were still trying to bill my PayPal Debit card for $49.95. I have deliberately swept all of my money out of my PayPal account while this is going on because I am not going to let these crooks steal $49.95 of my money.

Today, June 28th, I finally reported my PayPal debit card stolen and asked for a replacement.

These people are either incompetent, or crooks, or both. Whatever - don't make the mistake of giving them your financial information, you WILL regret it.

michaeld90
5/30/14

Why hasn't the appropriate attorney general arrested people in charge of Ancestry.com and Archives.com for fraud? What state are they located in? Will some of you above request an investigation? Please do so and help get thugs like this off the web.

williamb85
4/19/14

Their records are nothing like what they claim. After reading the above complaints now I wish I hadn't given them my credit card number. Every search I've done so far turns up nothing or very generic information such as census records when I'm searching for death records, or obituaries. They also use Ancestry.com information such as our public trees. The newspaper collection is a joke. They claim to have newspapers going back to the 1700's when most are for the 21st century. I always get a message that I have to use fewer search options. That didn't work either. The viewer for their digital images takes forever and never loads what you want to view.

Rip off. Don't bother with this one.

jacquelineg7
4/8/14

In the fall of 2013 I did some rapid-fire genealogical research towards my sister's 40th birthday, to gift her a fuller tree. I used several sites including fold3.com, rootsireland.ie, & ancestry.com. Re: ancestry.com, I took the 14-day free trial, cancelled on Day 14 and had no troubles. However, I did begin to see $7.95 charges this spring in reviewing our 2013 charges for archives.com. I do not have any record (neither email confirmation or registration, any emails thereafter from them re: marketing, nor any cancellation emails . . . neither any records in my Password Wallet) of having registered with archives.com. NONE.

They claim I did. They have a date, a mere 2 weeks out from my sister's birthday, by which I had completed my work for the season. At this point, in April, they only allowed a one-month refund of THIS month's charge, but said Monthly Memberships Are Nonrefundable. I understand that, for someone who registered intentionally--which I did not. It is in the fine print. That is all well & good. BUT, I did NOT ever register for a monthly subscription, nor do I have any evidence of having registered for a short-term trial.

I suspect that their partner, ancestry.com, shared my information, or that via ancestry.com I referenced an item on the archives.com site, and thereby the two accounts linked in some way, yet I did not click the archives.com button.

Regardless, it would be no skin off their nose to give me the 8 months' refund, when their records can surely demonstrate that I have NOT used their site at all since August 2013. So, what's $60 to a massive company? Apparently, it's a lot, b/c I cannot get it back.

DO NOT EVEN GO TO THEIR SITE. I am terribly disappointed. I agree with the reports below mine that something is rotten in the state of Utah.

eliotb7
4/4/14

strongly recommend against using this service, including signing up for free short term membership, which I did.

Without my knowledge, they began charging $7.95 per month. When I began looking at my bank statement carefully, I asked them to cancel and give me a refund. They refused.

janetw14
4/4/14

For almost two years I have had a paid subscription. I agree that this site is a real scam! Not much info is available and now there's another huge issue. A few months ago I requested that my subscription be cancelled, i.e., not renewed again in May, so I don't know yet if they'll charge me for a renewal. Today when I try to access archives.com and their members.recordsbase.com, there is a message warning that the site's security certificate has EXPIRED!!!!! Now what?? My subscription has not expired yet!

martyd4
3/31/14

This is a scam. I signed up for the free seven days. The next month I have two charges, one for $59.+ and one for 7.95, then another for 7.95. I called their number, no response. The only way to stop them is to cancel your credit card and have a new number re-issued. SCAM! I wish I had seen this site first! I thought this was connected to ancestry.com but it isn't!

dianes34
3/18/14

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE! This is a $#*!ing scam! They don't provide anything you need and IGNORED my request for subscription reversal!

ericr28
2/26/14

I tried the 7 day trial and found I wasn't getting the information I was lead to believe I would get. All information was very generic, so I cancelled. Then I find out they never cancelled me out and had been withdrawing from my account right along. It took a long heated argument to get them to cancel me and they would only refund me i month. This site is a scam.

deborahl10
2/22/14

1 look up, didn't sign up for service, they made 5 withdrawals from my bank account, UNAUTHORIZED!

DO NOT OPEN THE WEBSITE, YOU WILL BE CHARGED!

joannel16
2/15/14

STAY AWAY! Used this service once and found myself going in circles. Did not get even one piece of usable information. Unfortunately, I forgot to cancel...three months later I called and they would not credit even though I'd only used once three months earlier. BEWARE of the unscrupulous practices thus company uses to make their money. They do not provide the service they promise. BTW, it took forever to get through.

richardg54
2/14/14

HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. DO NOT GIVE ARCHIVES.COM YPUR CREDIT CARD!!!!!! Requested a certified copy of my parents marriage certificate from the New York City Clerk of Courts. They said it would take up to 2 months to get. So I came to Archives.com because they misleadingly seem to say that they can get your records and expedite them much faster. So I paid $181 for 3 copies thinking I would get them within a couple of weeks. However....ONLY after you pay does an invoice state that it will take 74 days for Archives.com to get the copies. I even paid (sucker) an additional $12 to "expedite" the records but again ONLY after you pay do they state how long it will take. At that point there is no way to cancel. To make matters worse, Archives.com outsources the whole thing to a third party - USVital. Numerous phone calls to their "customer service" go straight to a voice mail that promises to call you back within 4 hours. None of my calls or emails were returned for 2 days until I left a last message saying I would dispute the charges. Only then someone from another agency calls me to tell me "too bad - we don't care about any of this - your out of luck." HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. SERVICE AND BORDERLINE SCAM. DO NOT USE ARCHIVES.COM.

anak6
2/13/14

I signed up for the 7-day trial seeking to verify family information from elderly members. Was unable to find verification and could not find information on myself. Called the phone number for customer service within an hour to cancel and Matt said he would document my cancellation. Then a charge showed on my card. When I emailed the customer service they responded to say they show no record of me calling and I would be charged.

terencef4
1/27/14

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH

timothyp11
1/24/14

I, like Spencer B., do not have the negative experience that seems to be so prevalent in postings here. As a matter of fact, if you research reviews by companies who compare and rate ancestry research sites (including their customer support and knowledge) it is consistently ranked second only to Ancestry,com. I also couldn't help but notice some of you in this string are actually complaining about Ancestry.com and not Archives.com. At any rate, I subscribe to Archives and another family member uses Ancestry and we compile our findings to get a better family tree. Yes, I actually find info on Archives that is not found on Ancestry and the same is true the other way around.

gr3038
12/18/13

I did take the 7-day trial and cancelled within two days - four months later I am still getting a monthly charge and cannot get a refund. The customer service is horrible and impersonal. If you can find the information some other way - please, please do - it is awful.

rh291
12/15/13

Has anyone had any good experiences using this site? And do you actually get to view records or are you redirected to purchase the document that your are seeking?

bellaboy61

jims98
12/4/13

As bad as the creditcard.com ad. Once they get your money from your credit card, it is all but impossible to have them give it up. I had to cancel my card. Beware.

jeffk28
11/20/13

The first time I noticed charges from this website, I called to tell them I had never signed up with them. They assured me I was not in their database, and the charges could not be coming from them. The next time I called, it took about 45 minutes, but they finally found that someone else had signed up with my card number, but they would not tell me who. They said they protect their members. So if you are a thief, this is the site for you. And, they said they they would only credit me for one month's charge, but after some arguing, the gave me 5 months credit.

pamelaw11
11/19/13

Scam! Do not sign up for this. Someone is using a different email address to access this website; but, using my credit card in accordance to charge my personal credit acct. STAY AWAY from this website!!!! Caveat Emptor!

susann33
10/15/13

Like most of the other people, I went ahead and opted for the seven-day "free" trial, but found out once I gave them my bankcard number, it was IMPOSSIBLE to cancel the account and avoid the monthly charges.

The ONLY way to stop it is to cancel the bankcard and have the bank reissue a new bankcard.

jims91
10/9/13

This site is a total scam along with it's sister site of onegreatfamily. do not give them any info.

macw9
9/23/13

I signed up for a free 7 day trial. Site offered nothing for my search - absolutely nothing. So I cancelled my membership the day before it expired. All seemed well. Then I reviewed my credit card billing and I noticed I had been charged for two months. I wrote to their customer service, stated I had cancelled on time and wanted a refund of my two months. A reply from Angela in customer service says they will happily cancel my membership but not give me a refund for my two months as per their membership agreement. Of course, if I had an e-mail showing the cancellation things would be different she said. Seems to be a scam to me. Do not use this site.

dorothyd3
9/3/13

Not what they say they are. Beware!

annau1
8/28/13

They are a people finder - like telephone and address. THEY ARE NOT AN ANCESTOR FINDER!!! BEWARE! On their site they clearly say "Explore Family History" BULL $#*!! There is no way that they do this - the agent 'T' , she plainly ADMITTED THAT! They KNOW that they are LYING to people - they should be put out of business NOW!

All I can say about them is "#$@%$^$%^$#$@#!$#$%^$%^%$#$@$#___***#$!@#@!"

ruthb5
7/25/13

Sadly this says free but you can get no information at all until you submit a credit card. I here that ancestry.com bought them out so maybe they will improve it and it will be available on the ancestry.com site. I love ANCESTRY.COM it is worth every penny I spend on it each year.

spencerb24
7/22/13

I had a great experience with archives.com When I wanted to cancel I called them right up and they took good care of me. When you sign up for the free 7 day trial it says in four places it will bill if not canceled in the 7 days. People just need to pay attention when they put their credit card info on the internet and make sure they understand the terms and conditions.

valeriel
7/1/13

Don't use - you'll find nothing at all when you search. You have to provide a charge card for your trial period, however you're "assured" if you cancel within 7 days, you won't get charged. I cancelled within 1 hour and not only did they still charge my card, they then charged me the following month as well. Luckily I used my American Express card and it was promptly removed from my account.

heatherm22
6/26/13

found a lot more information on Ancestry.com. Archives leads you to believe you can look at documents right away--not! You have to order them from $30.00 and up! Some of the records I can goto the local library and print them for 5¢ off the microfishe machine. Granted, not all of the records are there, but there's enough there to make me happy. Plus, Archives does not have a whole lot on overseas searches.

I cancelled my "free" trial, I will see if any charges show up on my credit card, especially now after seeing all the complaints about them charging you.

terezac
6/3/13

I try to cancel after the trial but they disregard my wish to cancel. I still don't know if they cancel it. I have done twice.

donotu
5/17/13

This site is the worst. I was trying to remove my information from them like how spokeo and intelius have all your information under pipl dot com . All other websites remove your information without a problem, but archives dot com will not. I hate to get religious, but they are MORMON OWNED and affiliated with ancestors.com which is the same. I don't know how the BBB works, but they need to be reported. They refuse to take down my web information.

fredt10
5/10/13

Started trial to see what they had to offer....which was little/no information or a link to the .gov websites to order the appropriate forms. I also saw the advertisement which looked like a screenshot of the death certificate I was looking for and the ad said I could see it right away, but this is not so. Deceptive advertising.

miked61
4/27/13

DO NOT GIVE THESE GUYS ANYTHING> We have had the exact experience as those above. Found they charged our card for a renewal, immediately called them and they basically said too bad they would cancel my account but not refund what they had just charged because it was outside their refund policy.

4 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Archives staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: can and find any web site on back date ? how it was 2-3 years back ??
4/16/15
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: Q: can and find any web site on back date ? how it was 2-3 years back ??
4/16/15
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Archives staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?