US Government’s NSF

San Jose, CA 95131, USA
Tel: 1-888-221-1161, 1-402-935-2050

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

STAY AWAY!! They do business with companies like PDF FILLER who are allowed to legally infiltrate your account and charge without consent. PAYPAL won't do anything to help you resolve such issues. Will NEVER trust them again with my credit card information.

Be careful with transactions, they won't cancel under certain circumstances for insufficient funds. They'll take it upon themselves to pay for the transaction when the paypal balance doesn't cover the full bill.. even when no one asked them to. Then, they'll make your paypal account negative in red. Every unsatisfactory transaction doesn't always need to be disputed towards the other person you put money to, seeing that it is the company's fault they set such bogus policy in place. As soon as you put money in PP ACCOUNT they will grab it to cover what they CHOSE to pay. Or they'll send your balance to collections until the doom comes.

I'm started using PayPal 4 years ago and I'm still a super-happy customer.
I'm using PayPal as buyer and seller and I'm totally satisfied.

I've used Paypal for years as a buyer and had heard some griping about how they treat their sellers, but always thought it was just people being negative. Once I started my own business and began accepting Paypal I understood why people hate them so much. They make biased decisions when it comes to refund requests from customers so not only am I out money, but people have been allowed to keep my products. Thanks for being an accessory to theft Paypal!

Paypal withdrawer over 20 euros over the normal exchange rate ( mid market) for a 385 GBP payment. When I contacted them to know how come that would be possible, the guy said that by clicking the button (which wasn't showing what I was going to be charged) I allowed them to do so and there was nothing I could claim or do to a get refund.

Hidden fees lies in enormous exchange rates. If you look into what they do, you'll see paypal is a robber disguised.

Tip for consumers: Find something else ! I did find better ones but won't put it here as it could seem I'm working or paid to post reviews which isn't the case.

Bad experience with faulty goods no customer service as such you know the usual crap from China.
Anyhow I had to involve Paypal and they would only invoke the buyer protection guarantee thingy if I payed the £15 shipping costs on a £20 purchase, go figure....
Needless to say lesson learned I will stay away from and only purchase from the UK.
Paypal does tend to work better if you buy within your country of origin, from my experience anyway.

This review is based on my experience only, Pay Pal as worked well for me in the UK, but having said that I have never had an experience from a UK company as bad as they are at

I can only give one star based on the whole experience, I would expect no problems when taking money so I do not give brownie points for that I can only base it on when things go wrong......

Maybe I am lucky, but no problems with paypal in past 15 years. Minus 1 star for high fees.

When using E Bay if you are purchasing goods for under a hundred pounds it's well worth considering using Pay Pal because if things go wrong they can help sort it out or even get your money back and it cost nothing to open an account I have been scammed on E Bay and I got my money back but as far as I'm aware it's only Upton £100

21 days wait for first withdrawal ? does it even make sense ?

efficiency have been dealing with PayPal for at least two years. During that time I have requested refunds from companies who's merchandise did not meet my standards. By contacting PayPal, they would give me guidance in solving my problem. They also at the same time stopped payment when applicable, and made things right with me and the sender. I have always got my money back. You can't beat that for efficiency. Of course your claim must be correct, but they do most all the work for you.

If anyone read my last review about FashionMia you will know that I had doubts about my order being delivered, well what a surprize, I was right. Nearly four months later and they stopped communicating with me. Luckily I paid through PAYPAL, they are great, got my money back within a week with no quibble. I really recommend that you protect yourself when ordering from these shady sites

They randomly kept over a thousand dollars once I got a few returns. Held it for 6 months.

This commentary is being submitted on the business practices of eBay and PayPal that impact on individual (non- business) and home based merchants. I have recently experienced negative financial impact from a recent sales transaction. After extensive research, my experience is similar to thousands of their clients and involve millions of seller dollars worldwide held as pending and when released takes 3-4 business days to forward the money to the sellers bank account.

I am not an employee of any of the alternatives identified nor do I have any financial interests in any alternative identified. My objective is too high light some of the consortium activities and if legislative change cannot be obtained, sellers who cannot find other viable alternatives should recognize the financial impact.

As background in 2014, eBay announced the spinoff of PayPal as an independent company. In 2015 PayPal became an independent publically traded company. Notwithstanding the separation eBay still maintains a special priority for PayPal in the listing process as well as the payment cycle between buyer and seller.

eBay has an overly favorable standing for PayPal over viable alternative sources. eBays site for your review is
Look at possible go arounds especially for local transaction.

This behavior is no different from that preceding the spinoff of PayPal. You can find on the Internet discussion of using other options e.g., in auctions Google Wallet but beware of the wrath of eBay. If you are a home based merchant look at accepting independently credit cards through e.g., Square.

I work with small non-profits and have successfully moved them from PayPal to the Square to avoid the pending of funds and the almost 1-month delay in obtaining moneys from selling activities.

eBay is without question the giant of world-wide Internet sales exclusive of Amazon but do not give up, evaluate possible options for your individual circumstances.

Another interesting alternative is Bonanza,

The issue of monopolizing payments to PayPal has been legally challenged over the years without any relief for buyers being obtained.

eBay terms of agreement use ties your financial hands unless you can process credit cards independently or use other alternatives. What can you do as buyers with respect to PayPal holding and benefiting from your funds for up to 30 days? They are using millions of sellers dollars to earning interest but pay you nothing for the loss of accessibility. It is interesting to note they immediately take out their collective fees. PayPal has successfully barred class action suits to obtain relief.

PayPal has been successful in avoiding Federal regulation as a bank. They are a money transmitter and regulated at the State level. The states do not appear to have standard criteria for pending funds. For example:

Many of those statutes cap the period of time that money transmitters can hold onto payments before releasing them to the recipient.

In California, for instance, where PayPal is headquartered and registered as a money transmitter, section 1841 of the state's Money Transmission Act reads:
"Every licensee or its agent shall forward all money received for transmission or give instructions committing equivalent money to the person designated by the customer within 10 days after receiving that money, unless otherwise ordered by his or her customer."

Look at your individual state and insure that PayPal is in compliance with the specific license requirements. If the state has no specific period for pending funds contact the Regulatory Bureau and highlight the PayPal abuse and their inconsistency with other states to have the licensing requirement changed. I accept that 10 days is more reasonable than 21 days and the incredible 3-4 business day to transfer the seller funds to their bank account is unacceptable. If you buy with a payment from your bank account the withdrawal is immediate.

PayPal state licenses can be found at:

Remember many services conducted by PayPal exclusive of eBay can more easily be done by Walmart. Their money centers are stored based and provide a broader level of service and access to funds.

We will only curtail eBay and PayPal self- centered motives and adverse seller conduct by moving our business to other venues.
Good luck in your decision making.

Chinese seller learned how to "scam the system", delayed taking care of the problem thru eBay for more than 30 days; eBay said to take it up with PayPal, who said, "Sure, we'll help you - you're covered for 180 days." Obvious fault of the seller, but PayPal denied the claim, stating it was not covered under Purchase Protection (?????), when it clearly *was* covered under the guidelines. This was less than 90 days since initial purchase. Don't make a purchase if you think you're covered -- you're NOT!

I find PayPal extremely useful and easy to use. Sending and receiving money was never easier!

Had an order coming from China (didn't know thats where it was coming from).I inquired as to arrival status. PayPal says that's a case. Item arrived finally. Case closed. Item was not at all what expected to be. PayPal wouldn't allow any discussion. One case per order even though the first was a mere inquiry. They wouldn't budge
I still have faulty item

Since joining e-bay in 2005 I have always used pay pal and although their fees are quite high have always been more than satisfied with their level of service, however my last encounter (refund from fashionmia) was at first refused as fashionmia would not collect parcel in china as they had to pay import duties, If it had not been for the excellent staff at parcel monkey who acquired and sent a POD for me pay pal would not have refunded. I did complain to them and they did give me an extra 5 pounds for the hassle, would have preferred no hassle though.

PayPal is useless. I escalate my complaint several times through their Resolution Centre online and by calling them (was on hold for a long time) and yet they kept closing my complaint.

I bought quite a few items from Chinas FASHIONMIA.COM and paid for it with PayPal thinking I will have the protection until now. All items received were incorrect size, colour, style and material. I also paid Fashion Mia $60 US for shipping and yet I waited for 3 months before receiving my first item. I tried to return items but Fashion Mia refused. I asked Fashion Mia for refund and Fashion Mia refused.

I then filed a complaint with PayPal and PayPal told to go to my local police station to file a fraud report and also to go to my local government branch and file a fraud report. If that is the case then why do I need PayPal? And why is PayPal doing business with fraudulent companies? Are they that desperate for money?

This company website does not allow you to escalate a complaint to stop payment. They want you to use a desk top computer. (Outdated now) i used an iphone to order a product that was defective, pay pal would not allow me to contest the purchase and favored the cheap product company to keep my money. I will not use pay pal anymore. Don't use pay pal.

If you think you can use paypal for an international transaction think again. Their security system will not let me send money from Canada to India. I called in to find out why and they have no means to override this. They simply say the security has blocked it. What kind of 19th Century thinking is that!! Useless!

Like another reviewer said, Paypal is a horrible forced payment option especially on eBay. In most cases, you are never even SURE that you could keep the money you made because buyers have literally half a year to file a chargeback or a claim against you for any reason they want even after many months have passed; even if they left you positive feedback with no issue at all.

This break between eBay and Paypal hasn't changed anything! The only that has changed is Paypal's web interface which is much easier to use and much better on the eyes. If you have a problem with a chargeback or a claim though Paypal, eBay would just tell you tough luck. Yet this payment processing option is FORCED onto you to receive money and takes a chunk of your money for every payment received.

I would never trust Paypal with any of my money. I honestly wish there was a better alternate that eBay would use, but they are too busy racking high fees from their sellers. I pay hundreds of dollars of these fees to Paypal every month as a seller (excluding the eBay ones) and neither of these two companies actually helped me as a seller in any way. If you have a big sum of money left on your Paypal, transfer it immediately and don't leave it lingering.

If eBay wasn't forcing sellers to use Paypal, this payment option would never exist. For freelance work outside of my online shop, I take cash, checks or ChaseQuickpay. No fees, no scamming, no chargebacks, no disputes. Done.

Lastly, as a customer, there is no way to hide your address from strangers when purchasing an item. Whether or not it's a tangible good or a mistake on the receiver's side, there needs to be a fixed solution for this. I don't enjoy knowing some stranger in Puerto Rico knows my address when I pay the invoice to receive my digital photos from an activity during my trip.

Purchased item with credit card and item was
Defective. Seller issued refund and it was
Sent to PayPal account which I don't have!
Called PayPal support and said they couldn't
Refund to credit card and I would have to dispute
The payment. Basically forcing people to
Sign up for PayPal which I will never do because
They froze my account and stole money several
Years ago now they robbed me again! !

I went to send my friend/land lord my rent check through PayPal, this was on the 5th of the month. PayPal said he wouldn't receive it until the 23rd of the month. I walked away to call my landlord and see what he wanted to do. Came back and went back, entered his email, entered the amount and clicked continue to go back to the page where it said how long before he would receive it and BOOM it put the transaction through. I called my landlord and he IMMEDIATELY canceled the payment request. Low and behold PayPal waited 3 days to take the money out of my account, now they need 5 days to "verify the request" and 5 days to return the money, which can take up to 21 days according to their customer service recording. I called in and they said there was nothing to be done, the request was automatic, even though it was cancelled literally immediately. There is no need for 15 days minimum for a transaction that was cancelled to resolve, there is no company in the world that takes that long to get money worked around and it's not for security reasons I can tell you that. Once it leaves my account there is no security needed, that opening has already been guarded or exploited. Seriously, PayPal has gone down hill since Elon Musk sold, USE DWOLLA INSTEAD. Way better! Check out PayPals' BBB rating, it's terrible

Paypal is particularly vulnerable to electronic fraud. I have had more fraudulent transactions happen with my one paypal account then on all of my credit cards combined.

Their help center is a joke. They do not reply to emails (I mean at all), if you call they will tell you "we are unable to help you, sorry", including their 'supervisory' level employees.

Paypal's close business relations with ebay appear to be exploited by paypal in a malicious way: having put a bid on ebay resulted in paypal limiting my paypal account, and the inability to complete ebay purchase. One may say this was an unfortunate coincidence, but the timing was too perfect for me to easily believe in such a coincidence.

Paypal has the worst customer service ever. A few weeks ago, they requested that I submit my ID and my proof of residence. I sent them and they indicated that they would get back to me in 2-3 days. Almost a month later, nothing sent.

337 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

7 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the PayPal staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question