Review of GameHouse

2601 Elliott Avenue West, Suite 1000
Seattle, Washington, USA

michellec224
6/2/17

Joined last Monday. Everything was fun and games for the first couple of days besides the massive amounts of pop up ads that were polluting my computer. Wednesday a scene froze up. I contacted GH and a tech sent me links for drivers. It was nothing but pop ups. Then they wanted me to pay $40 to download. Thursday things were barely running. Friday I kept getting kicked out of games with error messages. Now GH is completely shut down. I found their FB page and they have explained the site is down and they are working on problems. It's been down for 24 hours now with no other explanation. They do not contact their customers. Just leave them in limbo. Completely ripped off with no customer support. If I hadn't have thought to look on FB I would have no information to what's going on.

bills230
4/25/17

Bought a game. It never worked right. Oh well, it was only $5 or so. But then the scam started. Billing my credit card $14.99 every month! Stay away from these scammer scumbags.

kathyd58
4/1/17

I have been with game house for many years. This is my 2nd year as paying the annual fee for games. The first year was great. Now it seems that they have slowed down on the games. I am not happy that they do not have many games for MAC and the games they do have don't play once they are downloaded. Don't plan on renewing my membership because I am not getting anything in return.

carolynf12
11/2/16

years ago I joined Gamehouse/Real Network. I purchased about 150 pc games from them over the years, most at 15.00 to 20.00 each. Originally they would send me the download link and activation key in my confirmation email.

Then along the way they changed how they did things, and developed a 'game manager' so when we purchased a game it automatically downloaded, installed and activated. This worked ok as well, until they shut down for a month and revamped their systems 2 years ago, and removed dozens of games from their website.

When they did this, I lost access to over 40 games I had bought and paid for. Their answer - they only guarantee access for 2 years. I have the installation files for many of my games, so I asked them to send me my activation keys, after all I had paid for these. Nope, they refused. They did send me a bunch of codes for free games that were useless to me since all the games they were developing were meant for windows 8 and I run XP, so they wouldn't work.

I insisted I wanted my keys, and in response, they cancelled all the codes they sent me and refuse to send me my keys. So there I sit. As long as this pc holds up I can play the games I bought, but if this pc dies, I am screwed. I lose a whole whack of games.

They have multiple law suits against them for overcharging their customers etc, so it isn't just me. Gaming isn't the only thing Real Networks is into. Needless to say I don't belong to their site anymore, and I don't buy games from them now either. Their customer service department is located in India and most times these people can't even understand what you are asking them let alone be able to solve problems.

I now belong to and buy from Big Fish Games, who have fantastic customer service and make any game you buy from them available for life. No losing them because they decide to delete games from their servers. So any new gamers who are looking to buy pc games online, Stay Away From Gamehouse. Do yourself a huge favour and deal with Big Fish instead. Games are cheaper, lots of freebies, and you won't be disappointed.

ryans151
10/4/16

Amazing site, I have bought many amazing games over here. I recommend it to everyone. So you guys can also enjoy their services.

victoriam75
6/26/16

I have TextTwist2 and Bejeweled2 Deluxe bought and paid for. Sudden;y both games went back to trial versions and want ,me to buy them again, And they don't have a record of my email. Can't contact them. Ripoff, don't buy from this company!!!!

melanies53
6/18/16

i downloaded windows 10 but i went back to windows 7 yesterday and now my fun passs and all is gone what do i do

rubyk12
5/22/16

You cannot get in touch with customer service no telephone number will not respond to email.

dm19
8/22/15

I recently had a boot problem with my computer. I guess that's what you call it. I turned it on and got a black screen, no desktop. I took it into a computer repair shop and they called the next day and told me the computer was fine, but it had around 300 adware in it probably from downloading games. They removed them with AdwCleaner and everything was fine. When I got the computer home I noticed when I tried to launch a GH game from a desktop icon I got the trial / own this game unlock popup on all of them?!. I logged in and got nothing. I went to the game website and logged in and retried, nothing. I decided to try uninstalling and downloading a game. I couldn't download from the My Games list. This is nuts! I decided to go to the game page and download the trial. That worked. When the popup came up I entered the log in info and the game unlocked. I also noticed at the top of the popup some statement about Trimedia . Trimedia is adware! I used AdwCleaner and it found 1 piece of adware, Trimedia. After, I went back to the desktop icon and again had to unlock the game again. So what this amounts to is you have to accept adware if you want to play GH games. I can still launch my BigFish, Shockwave and Amazon games. There might have been adware installed when downloading from these companies but you don't have to keep it.

jtw
5/12/15

For almost 2 months I have been trying to buy Super TextTwist and have not been able to get it regardless of having sent email requests to Gamehouse for help. One issue is that when I try to login to buy it, I'm told that my ID and Password don't match. I reset my password and then try to login and get the same message. Next, when I click on the link shown when I open the game, it takes my nowhere. Tech support says to paste the address into a browser, so tried that with Chrome, IE and Firefox and still don't get anywhere because of the login problem.

dianar20
3/4/15

I bought Chuzzle Deluxe, but it would never load. I tried everything their Customer Support suggested, but it still wouldn't load. Finally, I requested a refund, which they promised I would get - but I have NOT GOTTEN IT! They now won't even respond to my e-mails! Don't do business with them!

To update, after this review (and a few others), I did get my refund. I still won't do business with them.

lisam136
12/31/14

I signed up for a "free" fun pass. Supposed to have free for 14 days. They immediately charged me not once but three times! They have no phone number I emailed them and they claimed I wasn't billed! After several emails I got one charge back. Still fighting to get the other two. They caused 2 overdrafts on my checking account! So I lost $50 !Don't use this site

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site!!

molj
12/5/14

REFUSED REFUND!
Stay away from this disgusting money chewing site. None of the games work properly and when you contact support asking to be refunded for the games you cannot play they full on ignore you. I sent over 40 emails regarding being refunded for the games I had paid for and nobody replied to a single email. Disgraced seeings as I'm a single mum with no money and I've just had nearly 40 pound robbed from me for my sons games he couldn't play. My advice? Don't bother! And warn people why your here!

donaldd4
7/3/13

Gamehouse is the worse gaming site on the internet, it doesn't give you the points you earn then if it does it takes them away for no reason. I ve contacted theor customer support department many times always get the same form letter but nothing is ever done.........STAY AWAY FROM GAMEHOUSE A TOTAL RIPOFF

lynnr20
6/13/13

I subscribed to them, but cancelled a few days later because I could not log in to the site. Their "frequently asked questions" explain it was because of a recent customer database update and all I had to do was re-register. Well, I didn't, because who's to say that it would work that time, and then they can double-charge you. Plus, how many websites do you hear having trouble allowing people to log-in? So I cancelled. Well, I got charged $21, even though I had a cancellation confirmation. I called them again, and they told me it was never cancelled. I looked at the Better Business Bureau and they have numerous complaints filed against them, including a lawsuit with Washington State's attorney general's office!!! They are fraud!

jenniferw25
3/14/13

I was a member of Real Arcade which then became Gamehouse. I'm still a member and it's been 8 years since I joined Real Arcade. I have honestly never had any problem with their site or their games. I download a minimum of 2 games a month. A handful of times I've had issues with games not opening or closing early - but it's always ended up being another program interfering and not a Gamehouse problem. I have never had a problem using my tickets for free games, and you earn additional coins just by playing that you can use to buy additional free games! I orginally joined to casually game - in in the last few years my son has become an active player of their games. And he loves the variety of the games and it have become an activity we enjoy doing together. I would highly recommend the site to people looking for a place to get an amazing spectrum of games.

kathryng2
9/26/12

I purchased a game that won't open. After trying all the suggestions on the Help page to no avail, I emailed my issue. I received a pat/scripted response sending me to the Help page (I mentioned in my email that I already tried everything). In addition, the suggestions were for Windows and I indicated in my email that I have a Mac. They also suggested calling or using live chat without providing a telephone number or where to find live chat, however, nowhere on the webpage can I find either. VERY poor customer service.

bobb148
6/27/12

they are a rip off,
then when you have a problem, it wont get solved.

Beware.

mea4
7/1/11

Over the years I have bought 50-100 games off them and have only come across a few problems, namely downloading or missing DLLs (could be due to my virus protection doing overtime, who knows), though at the time I really didn't need more games. Other than that all my games have run smoothly.

chriso1
3,112 helpful votes
9/18/10

Gamehouse is the gaming arm of RealNetworks, which is itself one of the oldest web multimedia icons and developer of RealAudio and RealVideo formats and the RealPlayer media player.

Four days ago, at the time of writing, Gamehouse acquired a "social gaming" company which has been behind many successful games at some place called Facebook, whatever that is. RealNetworks has been uncomfortable that it's not into social gaming that much yet, and ought to be, because that's where the future of online gaming lies. Perhaps.

Gamehouse itself is a long-established family venue featuring downloadable and online games, of a casual nature, and today especially those hidden object games which are so popular with the makers of spectacles and magnifying glasses.

RealNetworks has previously indicated that it has plans to spin off the gaming aspect of its business, so it may be that this acquisition is an attempt to convert Gamehouse into a more social, more Web 2.0 affair. After all, there has been very little development in sites like this for many years. Not that it's a bad thing, but there's a limit to how many hidden object games there can be in the world. Come to think of it, maybe not. But you know what I mean. Social gaming opens up vast new (and hopefully profitable) horizons with the potential of engaging thousands of players at once, while the current games are largely if not entirely one-player affairs.

Meanwhile,Gamehouse is a good place to go for casual gaming and as far as I know, a safe and reliable one. I can't comment on memberships or subscriptions or clubs or anything like that, but as a venue for casual amusement this is up there amongst the leaders still.

geraldr
4/25/09

Beware of Gamehouse - This Website will automatically start deductions to your credit card for fun tickets and then refuse to let you redeem them. The tickets are supposed to be good for life, but when I tried to redeem two tickets they had charged to my credit card they would not honor them. I called and got the usual BS run-around and was even offered the phone number for their legal department, but I don't speak Begali. All I wanted to do was redeem the two tickets they charged to my credit card without my permission. I was told that was impossibile. What a website. BEWARE!

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the GameHouse staff and other customers.

GameHouse?