Westwood College, South Bay

Westwood College, South Bay has a consumer rating of 3.5 stars from 2 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Westwood College, South Bay also ranks 141st among Education Other sites.

How would you rate Westwood College, South Bay?

“Yes they are over-priced, but it is the best education...”

A D.
3/25/12

Yes they are over-priced, but it is the best education I have gotten. This is my third attempt at higher education. I went to Marshall University first. The teachers were horrible. The way you picked your classes was unhelpful and hindered you. I was a 4.0 student in high school and I had to fail out of Marshall. The next school I went to after that wasn't much better. At Westwood, I don't have to choose my classes. I have over 40 credit hours and I've only been there for a few months. The teachers really have a great way of making you learn the actual subject material. Granted I am attending at Southbay Campus in Torrance. My experience at this campus may be different that other campuses across the nation.

“Checked out westwood online education and I do like...”

Evan S.
2/19/11

Checked out westwood online education and I do like that they offer a very wide selection of degrees, much more than some other online universities. In tech specifically they even offer cisco certification. Not many offer both MBA and JD degrees and that makes me feel like westwood online education can give better online degrees than other types of schools. Westwood does have both online and brick and mortar campuses though none are really that close to me. Nice to know the real campuses exist and it does make them seem more legit to me than the other ones out there. Again they were listed in the US senate hearing investigation http://socialcapitalreview.org/u-s-senate-hearings-fraud-in-for-profit-education-industry/ this part in particular causes me to worry KEY LINK #2: Testimony Of Joshua Pruyn, Former Admissions Representative, Alta College Inc., Denver, CO, to U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, 8/4/10. Pruyn worked for Westwood College, an Alta College unit with 17 campuses around the U.S. and an online degree program. A high school diploma or G.E.D. and $100 were all that were needed for initial enrollment. A fake interview process was designed to convey the appearance of selective admissions. A B.A. cost $75,000 but was deceptively marketed as costing $4,800 per term. Unlike most schools where there are two to three terms per year, there were five terms per year at Westwood. Westwood's Denver college was not regionally accredited, meaning B.A. credits would not transfer to qualify for post-graduate programs elsewhere. Fictitious endorsements were promoted for Westwood's highly-promoted gaming industry training program. But it produced only three graduates in three years, none of whom was employed in the industry. A "boiler-room" operation fueled dozens and dozens of calls in short succession to "leads" who filled out online forms requesting more information. High-pressure tactics based on fears and hopes of prospective students uncovered in conversations and interviews were regularly used to "close" sales. Sales quotas were strictly enforced for "assistant directors of admissions." The quotas were for student "starts," meaning enrollees who attended class for 14 days after U.S. government financial aid had been secured. After 14 days, even if they dropped out, the government financial aid could be, and usually was, kept by the college, according to Pruyn. Trips to Cancun were awarded to top salespeople, but those behind on their sales quotas were forced to make 150 calls per day. Prospective students were "often characterized and described among admissions staff as stupid, lazy and generally unaware of what was in their own best interest." Lies were openly tolerated. One assistant director of admissions was presented with a "Best Liar" award at a team event. doing a little research on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood_College it appears that transferring credits has been an issue and resulted in lawsuits against westwood college. But if I am only going to graduate from westwood with a career possibly in IT or maybe even getting an MBA then do I really care about the whole lawsuit problem with transferring credits? Online MBA programs do not ever discuss transferring credits because people do not typically transfer. This is one of my top picks so far and is really between a meh and a cool, but would like to see what others also think.

ad496
March 25th, 2012
evans3
February 19th, 2011

Again they were listed in the US senate hearing investigation

this part in particular causes me to worry

doing a little research on wikipedia

Questions? Get answers from the Westwood College, South Bay staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westwood College, South Bay?

Have a question about Westwood College, South Bay?