The Great Courses reviews

Tel: 1-800-832-2412
customerservice@thegreatcourses.com

gonzaloc13
5/7/19

Hoping to learn about history and science, I bought several. You cannot imagine how boring all of them are: No effort whatsoever illustrating motivating the topic. Just imagine someone reading from a screen at a fast speed and often with a speech impediment. Of course, all the presenters are introduced as professors with a PhD degree, which means nothing. Also, all series are even produced in the same room with simply a green background. Yes, this company is a money making machine disregarding the responsibility with its customers and should be brought to justice. All my purchase were sent to the garbage can.

simons142
12/2/18

I was a former customer of this company, indeed, I had purchased several of their lecture series. However, I was dismayed to find they had published a shockingly inadequate and one sided series of lectures on Winston Churchill that were factually and historically biased.

I pointed this out on their Facebook announcement, and listed the omissions. My comment was popular and received several likes and accolades from other followers of the page. However, shortly afterwards I was trolled by a staff member, who publicly and rudely made several unfounded accusations against my character in a comment. I firmly, but politely responded, then found my comment was removed and I was blocked from their Facebook page.

I could understand if I had written something offensive, but I merely pointed out serious omissions of their product. Furthermore, I work in customer service and know there is NEVER an excuse to troll or otherwise take an accusatory tone with customers.

In short:
The customer service is rude,
The lectures on history are NOT impartial, and are heavily biased,
This company is dishonest and will hide honest feedback.

After seeing how the Teaching Company's lectures are biased, and how this was handled by your staff, I will not trust your lectures again. Once trust is gone it can never be restored, nor should it.

christopherw226
11/3/18

I use lots of different online education options. The Great Courses is my favorite. Their quality is unmatched. The professors I've watched have all been great. When I look through their catalog there are always a dozen courses that I wish I could take. I just wish I had the time.

I normally purchase digital courses on their website. The one time I called, I had a good experience.

mikeb739
6/11/18

Be wary of this company. Don't use any promo codes and make sure you know exactly what you're getting into with them. They bill your credit card or bank account and never give you a receipt or email about any subscription.

Tip for consumers: Be wary of promo codes. Make sure you get your log-in information and save it.

harryj58
5/8/18

I really like the courses, some of which I think are way over priced. The problem I have with this company is the constant mailings. I get a catalog at least once, sometimes twice a week. The more purchases I make, the more catalogs they send me. I called customer service where I spoke to a robot that lets you opt-out of the constant mailing, but that did not stop the mailings. It slowed down for about 3 weeks then it started again. I would love to stick with this company, but if they don't start acting in a civil manner I will have nothing to do with them.

murraya8
12/5/17

Website operation was funky and ordered something I didn't want. Contacted customer service right away and said nothing they could do but for me to return it when I received it. Also a few days later they removed a promotional code I entered that was accepted and proceeded to charge my credit card the incremental difference without my authorization. No response from customer service when I complained about this.

sergeym20
5/2/16

I love the ability to download courses in .mp3

chrisb119
3/2/14

The Great Courses is what I almost always want as a present from family these days. I have always loved to learn and the great courses lectures are so well taught and educational. From healthy living to learning more about management, the great courses have been very influential in my life. The only problem is the price. The cost is on average 300-400 so they are not cheap. The often have 20-30 lectures so it really comes down to only 10 dollars per hour class. I prefer ordering the DVDs as then you can easily watch the again.

louisj5
3/9/13

I'm a pretty big fan of The Great Courses DVDs. They have courses on just about everything from science to philosophy to composers and artists. I think the biggest problem is that they're too expensive. I think they're going to have some problems as more and more of the material in The Great Courses will be available online for free. But until then, they have my business!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the The Great Courses staff and other customers.

The Great Courses?