Review of Ravelry

Beverly, MA 01915, US
contact-us@ravelry.com

connier107
6/26/19

Well let me first state that I am very much a TRUMP SUPPORTER. So now does that mean that my account will be deactivated? I would like to bring up some points for consideration:

How many of us support ANY political party, site, person 100%? It has been my experience that we like what we like and disregard so much of the rest - right?

Why did Ravelry decide that they had to make a political stand on their website? I've never seen any politics, but then again I was not looking for it.

Ravelry did not come out with a non-political statement', the fact that they pointedly made their comment to one political party/President makes this a true statement. Since when does it make sense for a company/website to state its political view when their business is not POLITICS?? Ravelry would have been better stating that they will not longer tolerate ANY blogs/forums on politics (from any party Democrat, Republican, Independent, Communist, Socialist, etc.). Stating that the website is one for enjoyment of the fiber arts community only. Instead they demonized one party - the Republican Party and our President. I hope in their effort to rid their site of party-affiliated patterns that they also delete the pink pussy hat' which many find offensive.

Unfortunately, day by day our society is becoming more divisive, which is really quite horrible. If we could only open our hearts/minds for more open discussion and thought. So many are so hateful on all sides of the political spectrum.

The politicization of our businesses/companies/corporations is an early path to socialism', since when did we the American citizens believe that it is necessary for businesses to be politicized? Doesn't it just add to the divisiveness of our community?

So I'm torn, do I really want to continue supporting this business knowing they have taken a left-leaning political stance and feeling that they had to make their political viewpoint so public? I'm torn, is it really an all-inclusive' fiber arts community? It doesn't appear to be so by any means. I'm terribly troubled by all ..

A very sad/troubled Ravelry member
Connie

nickyr19
6/26/19

Support of Trump is support of white supremacy? Wheres the proof? Guilt by association isnt proof. Especially when the association has to play 20 degrees of connection.

If you are going to take a political stance it should be no politics period... not you Republicans stay silent while us Democrats crow about our superiority...

And this is on a knitting site.

Deleted my account. Not interested in a place where free speech is not supported.

eatc1
6/26/19

Would anybody expect these weirdo owners to be trump supporters?? lol, BTW, they live in a 97% WHITE area... Just sayin'

kuipert
6/25/19

I have enjoyed this site, but the anti Trump rant is beyond me and has nothing to do with knitting. You've lost me in this. Let people knit what they want. You're premise that trump supporters equal white supremacist is as flawed as saying Obama supporters are radical black panthers. You are wrong here and I don't support your "hate". Who's next? Who will you silence next. I support speech and that means the speech I disagree with. Especially the speech I disagree with. I know if you limit one you can limit all. You folks are wrong here. Just plain wrong. You can convince yourself you a making a blow to something you dislike but what you're actually doing is acting as the fascists here. Don't do this. Quit hating people you don't agree with. And excluding and insulting them or shaming them is so sad. I explore you to look at what you're doing. Cool thing about knitting was young and old do it, all races, all religions, all countries and all sexes and genders. That is pretty cool. Don't break knitters into meaningless tribes. Please stop this.

jamesy95
6/25/19

I cannot believe how ignorant the administrators are. Does Ravelry not realize Trump is the President of the United States and that ALL Trump supporters are NOT white, nor racists? Wow, open your eyes!

carolinek38
6/25/19

What an unnecessary, hostile and divisive decision you have made in your attempt to squelch freedom of thought and expression of perhaps half your members! Our divided country sorely needs the sort of site you once provided for camaraderie among a broad and diverse group of people who come together in goodwill in shared interests. Nevertheless, you have succeeded in destroying what has been created and appreciated. If you and others who believe that this is the right and inclusive way forward will look in the mirror, you will see the face of ignorance and fascism which attempts to silence those with whom you disagree. It doesn't work. Never has. You have energized at least half of you members to resist such attempts to deny the cherished right to freedom of thought and expression to go to the polls and say "YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED". Thank you for the motivation to act.

nikkij66
6/25/19

Deleted my Ravelry account last night after I read that they think anyone that supports the POTUS is a "white supremacist". How little of them! How belittling to their conservative subscribers who have supported them all these years. I vehemently loathe these companies/tech companies who become successful and then think they have the right to tell everyone else how to "think" and what they can "say". They can take their communist website and shove it :) I'm not necessarily a Trump "supporter" but I am a conservative who places a high value on our American freedoms and condemns anyone who would try and take that away from us. Stay away from Ravelry advertisers too and let them know why you are staying away from them. SHAME ON RAVELRY.

alyssac67
6/25/19

I deleted my account. how dare you preach inclusivity and 'safe place for all" - then exclude anyone who supports the US President. Shame on you!

annd237
6/25/19

Recent decision by owners makes site a biased place where only some are welcome. My conservative views have been banned.

diddlesp
6/25/19

Don't bother with this website unless you're looking to polish up on your ability to use passive-aggression to down-talk other people and their political views, but don't have the stones to do it in an area with genuine, open discussion. Ravelry's moderators (and owners) are flamboyantly biased and are quick to censor views and opinions with which they disagree. If you're looking for more 2019-flavored political garbage, you'll love this site. If you're looking for a friendly, helpful knitting website, you'd better keep on looking.

sharona381
6/24/19

I posted this on Ravelry's website tonight before I deleted my account. It's a knitting online community but they've banned me because I support my President? Seriously? "I am offended by the needless statement banning Trump supporters from your web site. As a conservative, elderly woman who only ever came to this site for knitting information, I cannot believe you have allowed the knitting community to be infected with the nasty anti-Trump rhetoric that proliferates on main stream media. I come here to knit, not to talk politics. You can keep your website. I quit."

emilym371
6/24/19

It has literally seeped in to every aspect of entertainment, music, movies, podcasts, news.. and on and on until, yes. Revelry. Where I quietly go to get my patterns and support for them. They will not get another dime from me. I will contact people who make patterns directly via their personal websites.
Hey Ravely, you're not being inclusive by banning support of Trump. You're being ridiculous.

randyn46
6/24/19

Their own statement excluded any actual statements supportive of white supremacists, only implied bigotry or racism. The president is perceived as a racist, any defense of the president of the United States is therefore banned from the site. You are free to ban opposing ideas, but you cannot also claim to be inclusive.

tomib5
6/24/19

I am a canadian user of this site. I don't particularly care about politics at all. What I do care about is respect for one another. The absolute disdain and rude comments that are somehow tolerated towards perceived "trump" or "conservative" users is unpalatable. There are several threads that are borderline abusive towards some users just because of what state they are from and their perceived political affiliation. We luckily don't have this toxicity in canada but the fact that this seems to be actively supported by this website is unfortunate.

davidr1347
6/24/19

Too sensitive too allow Trump supporters. Labeling millions of people is wrong. Trying to suppress free speech is wrong.

alexisd54
6/24/19

Not here for political agendas. Should stick to what you do. Knit. No need to bully people. People are entitled to believe in what they want to believe.

sandyw150
6/24/19

The inane political bias demonstrated by this company is UNACCEPTABLE. Refusing to allowed any Trump related patterns is . . . well . . . deplorable. I think the company may be living in a liberal bubble without understanding their customer base. How many millennial snowflakes actually knit/crochet?

davew304
6/24/19

You go to this site and mention anything about Trump or Republicans . You are automatically being called names like , Racist, Bigot, White supremacist . Im Black...What the hell, now I have started a petition with 20,000 signed to shut down this racist site

millsiej
6/24/19

I was a member of Ravelry for years. I loved their variety of patterns, and enjoyed being active in several groups there. When bullying and harrassing started, I dropped off on how active I was, assuming it was an isolated situation, just me, etc. This latest wave of political bias and bigotry on their part (under the guise of inclusiveness) was too much. I cannot support or recommend a website that shows such blatant hate for our president, or decides that any support of him is equal to white supremacy- which it's not. I deleted my account, and will discourage people from joining this website. I feel for the designers who will lose business because of Ravelry and their hateful exclusion.

judyl224
6/24/19

My pussy hats lacked the depth and intelligence of an informed voter, the yarn serving to provide all my ignorant opinions a platform without doing any research whatsoever. Now I feel safe from the evil orange man and I'm sooo happy - knit one, pearl two, chew cud and shove a pencil all the way up my nose in lieu of brains. Chinese style censorship is sooo rad!

heatherh317
6/24/19

Wish I could give it zero stars after learning they went political. Bye, Ravelry, I'm done with you!

lb261
6/24/19

Ravelry has just let politics RUIN it! I do my best to stay away from any crafting arena that allows ANY politics - liberal or conservative - I just want to craft. Ravelry has now gone over the edge by calling President Trump and anyone who supports him or his administration a White Supremacist! Really?!? Why not ban ALL politics? I'm done with this site!

lorik188
6/23/19

They have ruined the site by bringing politics into the site. They've banned the support of our President and refuse members 1st amendment rights. It's one sided. They allow Democrats to say what they want but if you are a Republican you are forbidden to support our President. I hope lawsuits ensue and they are put in there place.

miked625
6/23/19

They just banned any show of support for the president. You must walk within their ever-narrowing censorship restrictions, or be ejected from the site.Far, far left website out to squash any word or thought contrary to their extreme views. Yes, this is supposed to be a website for knitters, etc. But it is run like a gestapo prison.

lisaw600
6/23/19

I downloaded patterns and found them faulty. I had a knitting instructor who used the site and she even stated the pattern was the result of sloppy work. When trying to contact Ravelry, I was met with arrogance. Very unhelpful

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Ravelry is a database site. Some patterns listed are hosted on the designer's own website or blog. Some are available through yarn company websites (e.g. Lion Brand). For free patterns hosted on the ravelry site, there is usually a link you can click to instantly download the pattern in PDF format.

By Kat A.

Helpful answer -1

By email / by downloading it - If you purchase a pattern on Ravelry, it is a digital download.

By E M.
Questions? Get answers from the Ravelry staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Ravelry