Review of Petsmart.ca

Tel: 1-888-839-9638

1 Review From Our Community

pattig8
3/6/18

Any in-person shopper at Petsmart Canada already knows that their shelves are usually empty outside of the dog section. I seldom shop there anymore for that reason, unless they're the only retailer who carries an item that I need. The same applies to their "pay and pick up". The main problem is that the stock listed as "available" on their website is usually "UNavailable". Their website is apparently not connected to the store inventory systems, so there's no relation between what's "in stock" on the website vs. what's available in the stores.

I did retail point of sale support for a living for 5 years and I know that there's no excuse for this disconnect. Point of sale systems track stock as it's rung in, and the inventory data is uploaded to the retailer's website - at least for professional retailers.

To add to the fun, Petsmart's "pay and pick up" system is ridiculous. They lure customers in with discounts. When you order, they tell you that you won't be charged for any item you order that's not in stock. Trouble is, that's a lie. And good luck getting a refund.

One of my fish tank hoods was broken by my cat and I needed a new one right away. This was a Saturday. Petsmart was the only retailer I could find who had the size of hood and LED light that I needed in stock (apparently) so I placed a pay and pick up order for both items using Visa Debit at my nearest store. A couple of hours later I received an email stating that the $120 LED light was unavailable and that I wouldn't be charged for it. Since I needed a light, I checked another local Petsmart store and the item was listed "in stock" - so I ordered it.

Once again I got an email stating that my order was cancelled because the light was out of stock at the second store. Again, the message told me I wouldn't be charged for the light.

Since I still had the pending order for the hood, I went down to the Petsmart store to pick it up. I've picked up paid orders there before. Every time including this one, I've ended up standing around for 10-15 minutes waiting while staff rummaged through various desks, closed cash registers, etc. to find my item. He nearly gave me an expensive fish tank belonging to another customer. I noticed they just leave customers' paid items lying in random locations. Anyone walking by could just help themselves and walk away with someone else's merchandise. Not once have I ever been asked for any ID or an order number to verify my identity before I was given my order. I could easily lie and claim a more expensive item was mine.

When I got home I checked my bank balance online and saw that it was over $250 short. I saw that Petsmart had charged me for the LED light, twice. Needless to say, I was upset as I was told I would not be charged. I went on Petsmart's website to check their "fine print" and found that because I had used Visa Debit instead of a credit card, my bank was charged for both transactions. The fine print stated that I may have to wait several business days to receive my refunds.

Later that day I checked my bank account and found that the second order I placed had been refunded, but there was no refund for the first order. I decided to wait until Monday, as surely I'd receive my refund then.

Monday 10 am and no refund. I called Petsmart customer service. They flatly refused to do anything, couldn't confirm if the refund request was even sent, and repeatedly blamed my bank and told me to call them. I asked why I was refunded on one transaction but not the other, and asked them to explain how this could be my bank's fault. No answer.

I called the bank and predictably they passed the buck back to Petsmart. Once again I asked why one transaction could be refunded and not the other when they were placed in exactly the same way with the same retailer. The only response I got was that they refused to escalate the matter because it "could" take "up to" 6 business days, over a week. So I'm out of pocket for $120 - money which I was misled to believe wouldn't be charged in the first place.

I strongly suggest you think twice before ordering from this retailer. They can't even keep track of their own stock, much less your money. They leave your order lying out where anyone could steal it, and they don't verify the identity of anyone picking up an order. If you insist on buying anything from them, just go to the store in person where you'll see for yourself what they have in stock (nothing) and you won't be charged for nonexistent items and have to fight like a tiger to get your own money back.

Questions? Get answers from the Petsmart.ca staff and other customers.

Petsmart.ca?