Review of NPR Music

permissions@npr.org

8 reviews with 5 stars

twistad
8/28/13
I'm deep into jazz music and thanks to NPR it's possible to listen and read interesting articles about famous jazz musicians. I'm so glad for finding this website on google.

Thanks a lot,

Daniel T, London
stevel10
8/16/11
I've enjoyed this site for years. You can discover new bands and music hear that you might not find anywhere else!

You should also check out their "All Songs Considered" podcast!
tn1
1,629 helpful votes
6/27/10
NPR music's first listen series consistently features new music that I am bound to be interested in or to love. NPR not only produces great news features and stories but the music staff seems to have an impeccably sophisticated sense of what's fresh, hip, well-written and well-produced.
heathers3
1/3/10
Cool place to find new indie music and you can even watch some concerts. I don't regularly listen to NPR and was mostly looking for a new music website though now I might tune in.
jeremyg
10/23/09
There's a special place in my heart for NPR's music site. It's got a ton of great free live shows and all kids of new music. The editorial staff is very good at choosing an eclectic mix of new music so I don't keep listening to the same indie bands. And I even feel a little good about myself because by visiting and supporting the site I'm supporting public radio instead of just padding the wallets of rich people (e.g., Apple, Pandora or Last.fm).
mickt
10/21/09
Awesome! The band Flaw has a new album out and it is incredible! IN-CRE-ABLE!!
chriso1
3,162 helpful votes
10/8/09
For some reason it's never occurred to me to look for NPR online. I guess not being American by birth, NPR isn't an institution that I've grown up with and I don't appreciate it enough. I watch public TV but don't pay much attention to the radio. So having read the other review here I had to go look and this really is an important find and one you should really visit if you have any interest at all in any kind of music. It's full of free-to-listen recordings, news, features, sessions, interviews ... you get the idea. And all highly polished and professionally presented. My only nitpick is that the stand-alone player, though producing quality streaming music, would stop about fifteen seconds into the track and had to be restarted. Every single time. And somewhat disconcertingly, the player presented a message encouraging me to find out all I need to know about swine flu vaccine, while the tracks played.

The site is only one section of the parent NPR site at www.npr.org, but I'll leave the review of that one to someone else. Just now, I want to sit and listen to some music ...
sophien
6/7/08
NPR helps me find new non-mainstream music (like Dengue Fever!) - NPR has put up a HUGE collection of music, live music, music interviews, and articles. It's a great way to discover new music that is a little different from what you might hear on normal radio stations. It's good for Jazz, Folk, and Indie Rock, along with a lot of other cool random stuff from around the world. Like awesome awesome Dengue Fever, the Cambodian Pop/Rock band: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88564788

Also, great stuff from Death Cab for Cutie:

And the Raconteurs

Questions? Get answers from the NPR Music staff and other customers.

NPR Music?