Amazon Mechanical Turk reviews

P.O. Box 81226
Seattle, WA 98108-1226

dianab210
9/28/18

I originally reviewed Amazon Mechanical Turk as a good place to work for a little extra spending money, and I still stand by that review. However, from a customer service aspect it is horrible.

Be careful of the HITS you accept. If you are doing HITS for a new requester. Do only a few HITS first and wait and see if they reject or accept and how long they take to do that and pay you. You could waste hours and have many HITS rejected (without knowing why) which will bring down your rating and could cause AMAZON to freeze or block your account.

Amazon also randomly suspends accounts because you will be treated as an algorithm and not a human.

Be careful about keeping money sitting in your account without moving it quickly. You could get suspended for unknown reasons and lose your earnings. This happens quit frequently. Suspensions happen for real reasons to protect the site but also for reasons unknown with no fault of yours.

Reaching customer service and resolving these problems tend to be futile and you will likely be given a canned response email. It still can be good place to make extra money, just be aware of what could happen and protect yourself first.

Tip for consumers: Be careful. They do not monitor what happens very well. They use algorithms to terminate workers and refuse pay. Hits are rejected often and it is almost impossible to take recourse. Even though Amazon itself has a good reputation Mechnical Turk is on the shady side of outsourcing. Employees for Amazon have no idea about Mechanical Turk and there is no customer servicce line for Turk employees. If they don't want to pay you, they won't and they will and can shut down your account.

larac28
8/4/18

From time to time I do surveys to make a little money, but I hate it when I spend 20 minutes of my time, believing I reached all requirements, then my $#*! gets REJECTED. That is my TIME wasted that I can never get back. Not even able to email the requestor to tell her that she wasted my time on her survey $1.25 I was trying to earn for that damn survey. So many damn questions, at least 70, I answered all and at the end after it thanked me for taking the survey, I get REJECTED; which means no payment. My survey was completed but I won't get paid. I am $#*!ing pissed. So glad when i get a regular job and not have to go through this $#*!. Make a screener for your surveys, then folks won't waste their damn time.

billas
6/21/18

Now mturk become worst, all requesters left mturk because increase in commission from 10% to 40%. In 2013-2016 boom in work, daily 10 to 20 projects to work, but now 1 project in couple days. I don't know who is head of mturk, he is worst person.

mariak76
5/15/18

I've been doing this since February, and I've made a little over $1000 now. Yes, it's low paying and not a quick get-rich type of thing at all. But it pays for my food, gas, and pocket money every week, letting me save more money from my regular full time job. Mind you, I'm the type of person who gets excited to find pennies, dimes, and nickels on the sidewalks, so this works for me. I don't put a lot of effort into it, since it's only pocket change for me. I do it while I'm at work, and sometimes at night. Some people get real crazy, setting alarms to snatch up good-paying HITs in the middle of the night from international requestors, working on them for 8 hours a day, etc. I do it mostly as a hobby, and don't get too crazy. If I'm working on a HIT and I don't feel it's worth it, I just return it and do another one. You will start to know which ones are worth your time, and which ones you enjoy doing the best. I did try and do this for 5+ hours a day once, and it drove me crazy. I could never do this as a full time job, because I wouldn't have what it takes. You have to really pay attention to everything you do, read every single word, and submit everything in the correct way, or you might not be paid. The highest paid HIT I've done was $6 for about 40 minutes. There are some fun HITs on here every now and then, too. Even the smaller $.05 or $.10 cent HITs sometimes are a gem, because they include bigger bonuses in them. I choose to have the money direct deposited into my bank, and it takes less than 24 hours to hit my bank account. You are a contractor for them, so yes, you will have to pay taxes on your income when the time comes. Keep that in mind.

tz46
4/11/18

Rejected without a reason given. Why is never explained. Waste of time. Most hits arent even worth the effort anyway.

amb1247
4/9/18

I've been a turker since 2016 and have made money to add to my Amazon gift card balance or to transfer to my bank. It doesn't pay much but the work isn't difficult. You do have to pay attention as you may not receive payment if you don't follow directions carefully. Happy Turking!

ashaj4
3/26/18
• Updated review

I tried to contact the company through their toll free number and customer service support was excellent. They asked me a few clarifications regarding my account details twice which I answered after which they permitted me to work from the next day.

“Excellent trouble-free site for those wishing to work online”
3/26/18
• Previous review

The payment is sometimes good and the work type is varied and interesting. I find some of the tasks very well paying while some do not pay as much.

Tip for consumers: Please be careful that you don't false information about your account. Also work on tasks that you are comfortable with. Most tasks offer preview mode which is useful before accepting it.

minam21
2/28/18

It's ok. I've been working on mturk for a long time now and I can tell you it isn't what it used to be. Now that they changed over to the new worker site it is even worse! I do the best I can on it with scripts to catch but, there isn't much work anymore. Mturk just isn't worth it these days.

nataliem93
1/29/18

Ordered a pre paid Visa Gift Card for $105.95 and it was sent un activated. I called them for refund or activate, no one wanted to take a responsibility to fix the problem, claiming it had been over 30 days.What we supposed to use card within 30 days to see if you properly activated the card and balance is there , even tho card exp 2025! No one wanted to take a responsibility and take an action. From buyers on Amazon we see lots of negative reviews about this issue.Amazon Payment Inc, collect payments and mail not activated cards! We need a refund!

kosanyad
1/14/18

Here is my honest review of Amazon Mechanical Turk. I have been a worker for several years so this is a good resource to check.

dottij
10/20/17

I tried to sign up with Amazon HIT, set up my account, and I get an email back saying that due to security restrictions they can't open an account because they can't verify my information. I have had the same address, email, and phone number for 20 years! I have been an Amazon Prime member for many years. When I called (several times) and sent emails, the response is they can't tell me why! They said set up a new email account and try that. This is astounding!! Don't do it.

bubul2
9/25/17

Do not ever work for Amazon Mechanical Turk. This is a scam. You are working for free. They will never give you any $.

doreenl13
9/6/17

I started signing up for Amazon Mechanical Turk so it asked for all my information but I DID NOT ACTIVATE IT realizing i needed to add money to my own bank account. Next thing you know they started withdrawing money from my account - it bounced, so i called and emailed them to get rid of the account because i couldn't delete it. they said okay and then try tried again to take the money. so by the 3rd day it's bounced 3 times and they took the 39.95 and never gave it back. So I reported them to the BBB. Very unhappy with this site. It turned out to be a nightmare before even working with them.

alexanderk52
7/6/17

Although the tasks range from a mere $0.50 to $2.00, the amount can build up, and is definitely worth it if you want to save on Amazon.com purchases or simply transfer to your bank account.

markb403
6/10/17

This is a joke. Amazon should be ashamed of this crap.The majority of the tasks don't work and just waste your time. Seroiusly makes me want to reconsider wether I should even continue doing business with Amazon.

sanjaa
1/20/17

HOW ON EARTH DO YOU ALLOW YOURSELVES NOT STATE ON YOUR WEBSITE THAT NO INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS ARE ACCEPTED? DO YOU LIKE WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME OR SIMPLY HIDE THE FACT BECAUSE YOU WANT TO ENJOY TRAFFIC AND AROUND THE GLOBE ATTENTION? SHAME ON YOU AND EVERYONE WHO IS PART OF THIS ''TEAM'', WHO'S GOT THE ''BALLS'' TO STATE THAT THEY NEED NOT GIVE ANY REASONS FOR NOT ACCEPTING SOMEONE WHO TRIED TO REGISTER. LAME AND NOTAPPROPRIATE FOR A ''SERIOUS'' COMPANY SUCH AS AMAZON. THANK GOD SUCH LOW LEVEL WORK CAN'T LAST LONG.

jayaramm
11/18/16

We create a new account last month in mturk but we get declined mail. it possible to accept in future.

amandaj75
10/28/16

Mturk isnt anything that you'd want to quit your day job over, but it is nicefor a few extra bucks or Amazon gift cards now and again. I've used it for a long time and will do so for many more years as long as it is around

geesong
8/8/16

I am proud of being an amazon turker. The tasks are Quite simple and interesting. HITS include identifying objects in a photo or video, performing data de-duplication, transcribing audio recordings, or researching data details etc. I've been working on Mturk since 2010. Any one with knowledge in english can work on it. Now I am a trusted worker with 98.4% accuracy and worked on more than 42000 Hits. I recommend this to all those who wish to earn some money by doing transcriptions, surveys, playing interactive games (as part of survey).

toddh20
7/9/16

For starters, you only need to accumulate 1 dollar in your account to cash out and you should always quickly receive your payout as a direct deposit in your bank account. Mturk offers many tasks, or HITs that you can qualify for and complete relatively quickly. Many of the tasks pay well and almost all of the requesters for the tasks are honest and will pay you for your task completion.

However, the fraud rate seems to be creeping up; whereas the rate for not getting conned out of getting paid for completing surveys was close to 100 %, the rate has gone down to about 90 % for me. Although it's unfortunate for this to ever happen, I find Mturk to probably be the best money-paying site for survey takers and task participants dollar for dollar.

mturkw
7/6/16

This is a site used by marketers and Universities to collect low cost survey data and repetitive task completion for minimal fees. In many instances, workers who complete tasks as per the directions receive payment.

However, as anyone who has been burnt by these scheming requesters who mess it up for all of the others well knows there are certain unscrupulous requester types who use the Amazon.com mturk system to ends more sinister than access to an unsuspecting pool of cheap labor.

These requesters follow a self serving ethic presumably motivated by the ease with which they can reject work and save themselves the fees they have already agreed to and are required to pay. A stiffed worker has no recourse through Amazon. There is no appeals process or investigation by Amazon. A requester can only be reported before the worker has any experience with her and only for a very narrow range of complaints evading work payment is not one of them. It gets worse. The rejection and any untrue reason(s) provided by the requester through the automated Amazon system in bad faith have a deleterious impact on the profile of the workers who have already been denied payment for their work.

The Congress needs to take a deeper look at this mturk system, which conceals these types of business practices behind the shield of a contract worker arrangement provided by the shrink wrapped, boilerplate adhesion language in their TOS. Legislature and the courts need to further assess the whole system to gauge its compliance with basic levels of public policy, acceptable in the reasonable standards expected in an industrialized nation.

If such systemic false pretense routinely engaged in by those requesters who make use of the mturk system to actively pursue the above-mentioned practices does not enumerate as the key elements of material fraud, then how else is it reasonably described?

There is no rating system of the requesters provided by Amazon. Mturk workers are in the dark when accepting a work hit that could result in non payment by one of these unscrupulous requesters meeting the above definitions. In the interim, a plug-in such as the one provided by Turkopticon can provide some minimal measure, though incomplete because of its 3rd party implementation, forewarning to the mturk worker pool.

lindaf77
6/5/16

Mechanical Turk was originally a way for people all over the world, and in poor countries in particular, to make small amounts of money easily. By 2011, there were workers in 190 countries. Because a mastery of English is necessary, at some point Amazon started taking only American applications. (If anyone knows when the change was made, let us know in your review.)

Because workers are independent contractors, i.e. self-employed, the US minimum wage law doesn't apply. So there's no Turk in Third World countries, where a few dollars can be meaningful income, while Americans create all sorts of ways to be successful at working for pennies. That's the irony.

chandras14
5/28/16

Hi Amazon Team, This is Chandra Sekar from India
Why Mturk was restricted in india for last 2 years.. because its useful for lot of un employee students and house wife,.. Please again come to india and give better future to all who seeking job.

kenh57
4/20/16

It isn't a scam but it doesn't make much money. According to Forbes "estimates of what workers can earn on these crowdsourced tasks range from about $1.20 to $5 an hour without any benefits. Employers treat them as independent contractors not covered by federal minimum-wage legislation".

saurabhv3
2/22/16

great app for shopping amazon.it is really good products services.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

No, you do not

By Chantelle E.

You cant, you can only send it to your bank account in America

By Chantelle E.

By Todd H.

Go to mturk.com and sign up.

By Todd H.

Hi please read this article - http://turkrequesters.blogspot.in/2013/01/the-reasons-why-amazon-mechanical-turk.html

By Vassim K.

You get 1 cent every time you complete the HIT, you don't get payment until your HIT has been reviewed and approved by whoever created the hit. If they reject your hit (because you did not follow the HIT directions) then it will show up in your HIT totals as rejected. Hope this helped. -An Mturk user.

By Samantha S.

There is nothing you can do, unfortunately India is not an approved country for Mturk. They simply don't allow people from India to join.

By Olivia R.

Questions? Get answers from the Amazon Mechanical Turk staff and other customers.

Amazon Mechanical Turk?