Review of MakeMKV

MakeMKV reviews

makemkvi
11/12/18

I've got over 2k DVD's & Blu-ray's and let me straighten this myth of doing a few 1000 rips with software that can't even recognize half the $#*! you're trying to conver. First off, I have an i7 coffee lake, 32gb 32000mhz RAM, SAS drives for 6TB on a quality controller and the rest is mixed JBOD and 2 other enclosures fitting 20tbs of storage and it's barely even dented after running a month with this demo. Don't buy it. Don't bother testing it, move along, there is nothing to see here. But if you feel as if you must, here's some facts about this 50$ piece of rubbish I've experienced. For every 50 Blu-ray's 19 ripped (all my movies are ripped into full 1 for 1 clarity ISO images and totaled 40 Blu-ray's, 8 were dvds out of 4 silos holding 200). Of those 19. 2-4 were consistently off on some random point be it audio not starting till 15 minutes in or maybe subtitles not appearing at all, so another 2 as well failed the rip. Mind you I'm going drive to drive, my heart goes out to those of you going disc to drive. The processes hang. They then lock up the files you are trying to convert and make it almost impossible to convert anything. So if you really want to sticker your system with something that does absolutely ****all then this is for you. Also, most other apps are 20-40$, have trials as well, don't lock your system up, so what they say they are capable of doing...even windows movie maker 10 supports mkv... also, yeah all my ISO's play great and have 0 encryption, don't buy this trash.

chrisj81
9/10/15

This is a really good piece of software. It is free to rip DVDs and you get a 30 day trial for ripping bluray discs. To unlock the full features of this program, it is about $60.00 USD. It is well worth it to me. I have easily ripped my who dvd and bluray collection in mkv format. It took about 6 days to rip about 1000 discs. The program is a tad harsh on your components. While MakeMKV was in use, my processor was running at about 99% usage. MakeMKV is also limited by your dvd/bluray drive. My drive is on the lower end of the quality scale (8x), so ripping discs takes a little bit longer than my room mates 16x drive can usually rip faster.
The user interface is super easy to use. Literally click what you want and hit "save". Thats it! Kids could probably do this with their dvds.

I recommend this software. It is easy to use and at a good price. This, as far as i know, is download only and not available on discs.

Tip for consumers: Check your pc before buying. Your operating system or system drivers might need to be updated. From my experience, it is my components and not the software causing a problem.

Questions? Get answers from the MakeMKV staff and other customers.

MakeMKV?