Review of MajorGeeks

Tel: +1 315-307-3159
mgnews@majorgeeks.com

jendersonr
5/21/19

This is not a review per say as I am trying to gather as much information as possible about the safety and accuracy of MajorGeeks before I use their site,

michaelr948
12/7/18

Sold me down loadable courses, said only requirement was Internet access, after I had redeemed the vouchers it was finally disclosed that a high speed high bandwidth connection was needed to stream the courses and each time I tried they kicked me off their servers,it was only AFTER I complained and asked for a refund they suddenly told me they had a no refund policy and that they did not have to disclose any of this PRIOR to sales due to it would cut "into their revenue stream"

Tip for consumers: they are full on liers and fraud artist! they will rip you off and then stand behind their undisclosed terms!

docb20
3/6/18

I don't work there, they don't pay me, and I rarely write reviews, but I have to say its my most trusted source of free software. Please read the cautions; some software is shareware, some is ad-supported, and there are ads that a novice might mistake for a the "install" button. When it says, "wait 5 seconds for your download to appear" wait 5 seconds, or even 9 or 10 if necessary. I always use an ad-blocker, which prompts a request for contributions, and I have sent them a few bucks, because they're that good, and I depend on them. Check the provided user ratings, both popularity (how many downloads) and rating (which includes the # of raters).

nickt43
3/25/16

I've been a member of MajorGeeks support forum for a number of years and you can always find someone to step up and help with your computer problems. At MG's forum it's a team effort and I'm also a faithful user of MG's download site/ Always safe and secure downloads from the Major.

cc158
2/13/16

Everything is reviewed, clearly listed, and advertising is labeled. If you have a question you can actually write the owners and get a reply. Try that someplace else.

lauriec19
12/24/14

This comment is for Darth H.

You say not to download any advertisement or banner which is totally understandable and makes tons of sense but I personally have gone to download something on different sites (Example) A antivirus program or whatever and there is 2 or 3 things that say click here to download, so I think it is for the program I want to download and it ends up being something totally different. So whatever site a person uses can be tricky and misleading not just this site. I do appreciate everyone's reviews so I can make a accurate informed decision

acee5
12/22/14

I'm trying to learn how to view (not DELETE) my index.dat files. Every time I download a file viewer I end up partitioning my hard drive and do a fresh install. Then I go through all the motions of updates.... etc. At this point is when I want to view my files. The I want to go to a couple of websites etc. and then continually go back to view the files as I go. CNET , SOFTPEDIA, a few other sites have plagued me. LOL.

normo
4/6/14

I have been using "majorgeeks" for years. I have found it to be the best site for obtaining software. I run a computer service business and "majorgeeks" is the site a point all my clients too if they want to download, safe and useful software. Most of the problems people have is that they fail to read the instructions and are not careful enough in clicking on the correct link
Five stars to MajorGeeks from me *****

davidd90
4/3/14

I've been a member of the forum on majorgeeks.com for years and it is a top-notch support forum for anyone seeking help with computer problems. It is also a very good source for downloading a vast array of freeware and some shareware. My only complaint is that a certain administrator on the forum is too heavy-handed is his role as administrator. That has been annoying at times but not very often.

darthh
1/16/14

I run a computer repair business. I looked at majorgeeks.com recently and I'm not impressed with their web page. I get paid to remove malware and virus infections from people's computers. Most tell me the computer stopped working correctly after they or there kid(s) clicked on a link from a site they visited that says something like ... "Click here to scan your pc for viruses." What's the first thing on majorgeeks site that is noticeable when it loads up... A big green exclamation point with the words next to it "BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD
Run a FREE scan to diagnose Windows errors."

Right, and my mother is Marry Poppins. What majorgeeks should do is give their visitors information about a anti malware product they support or endorse so the user can go their themselves.

I did browse around the site after the initial page I visited and each site of majorgeeks.com had a different ad at the top. I learned it's not majorgeeks offering to "fix" computers with a scan but the advertisement is. And that's a bad practice for a site that professes to be Geek. Majorgeeks.com needs to not support advertisements that will take a user to a different site that will "fix" (infect) their computer.

And anyone who reads this please don't click on any advertisement or link that professes to fix your registry or to scan your computer. If you want your computer to be scanned from online then go to a commercial antivirus company website like Bit Defender or Norton or whatever one you like that sells their software in retail stores and they will usually have an option to quick scan your computer online. Online scans aren't too accurate but if you have a virus on your computer those types of scans MAY pick something up. It's best to not browse the web without a virus scanner and a firewall though. So why would anyone be clicking on an ad to scan their computer in the first place? I guess people do it so they can call someone up like me to pay money to undo that click. Apparently it's really fun to click on such an ad because lots of people keep doing it. I'm a really boring guy. I never click on those types of ads.

nicholasg9
12/25/13

I having a decent background in pc repair, have found majorgeeks beyond helpful. They have tons of freeware that is most of the time just as good as a paid verion of some software if not better, and they are honest (they will tell you if their are any cons to any programs they recommend as well as the pros). All of their programs that I have used or looked at has a great description and a link to even further describe what it does and how. If you want to save tons of money from going to a pc repair shop for something easy to fix, this is the site to visit, most everything is easy even for the non techies. Finally, They have links to freeware that does not contain anything malicious and advice that could fix just about any possible thing that you could think of going wrong with a computer. Glad I came across this site.. Thanks majorgeeks.

michaelg71
12/4/13

I am computer illiterate-or nearly so. Any problems I have had since Oct. 2004-this is where I look for solutions. These people are friendly. I believe that they truly want to help others with their computer concerns. The author of,"deceitful and abusive" does't seem to know the difference betwen, "Tuesday and Moose Jaw".

Machiavelli1st

fanniet
8/28/13

Every time I've tried to use Major Geeks, regardless of how careful I was, I ended up getting all kinds of extra programs and tools, EVEN WHEN I SPECIFICALLY OPTED OUT OF THEM. It's deceitful and abusive.

Response from Timothy T., MajorGeeks Representative
Update: As you can see, this guy didn't respond so I can prove him wrong, as happens all the time. Ad-Supported software is MAYBE 1]10th of our software, so every time? Sure.... If he ever responds, I'll make a vide on any software that he mentions and prove him wrong. We take our reputation seriously and are tired of uninformed, unsubstantiated claims from a handful of people. Probably a competitor.

Hi, name the software that did this? Usually when we see this, the end user is infected. We're not handing out untested files so to say all our files are infected, when SiteAdvisor and many users say otherwise, is simply wrong.
kj19
7/17/12

After seeing glowing reviews on malwarebytes.org I went to their site to download the free version and when I hit the download button I was sent to majorgeeks.com for the download. Majorgeeks.com recommended in their "tips" section that before downloading the malwarebytes I should first make sure all my drivers are up to date and provided a download to do so. The download was uniblue driver scanner. I downloaded it, ran the scan, and it indicated that dozens of my drivers were so old they fell into the "ancient' category. When I clicked on the update drivers button, there was a request for payment first. Personally, I think it's wrong for majorgeeks to lead me down that path without indicating that the software they're recommending has a hidden charge for it to do anything. I should be told that before I download anything. I'll find somewhere else to download malwarebytes. I don't trust majorgeeks.

Response from Timothy T., MajorGeeks Representative
You clicked an advertisement. Slow down :)
kevinb8
12/27/10

Been going here for years. I like the fact that if a program is adware, they tell you (think AOL and RealPlayer). Whenever available, they have links directly to the download without having to go through that program's website first.
It's more than freeware/shareware--I like the news in their "Way Off Base" links.

matthews5
10/7/10

i realy liked it.I can't seem to remember where I found this site but Major Geeks has been extremely useful to me over the past year or so. I've had numerous problems with my computer and this site has helped me out on all of those occasions.regards

alexl5
10/6/10

I will agree that their downloads are a bit easier to navigate than cnet. No frills, just the simple facts about a DL. Their advice is pretty good too. They do have quite a bit of ads nowadays but I suppose they have to make some money to keep this site alive.

darrenh1
7/16/10

I heart majorgeeks.com a whole bunch. These are my go-to geeks when I need a program or advice or whatever. These dudes have been around a while now and they're reliable. everything (under the sun) is categorized and it's a mix of shareware and freeware. Yay!! Freeeeeee. ( sorry- had an odd late night moment there for a second) Also when you click on your desired link, it takes you to a page where you can check the user rating of "said" product you are interested in, all the info on it and etc.. There are very few and far between resource download sites I trust, but I trust these geeks. Oh, and they have one of the greatest logos ever created.

We've been doing this since 2001 and had similar sites for years before that. Every file is scanned, tested and reviewed by us. You'll notice most descriptions (not all) are our words and our screenshots are watermarked so you can see that we tested it.

By Timothy T., MajorGeeks Representative

Sorry, I didn't see your question sooner. Everything is marked. Freeware, Open Source, Ad-Supported (offers additional programs or advertising), and Shareware. Each file description also has red letters that say Limitations, so you know what you're getting, or not getting.

By Timothy T., MajorGeeks Representative

I am running the same OS as you, and a tech support guy told me that Microsoft is phasing out support for Win 7, and that almost all of the Updates are non-applicable to my machine...and to not worry about it.

By Tom O.

controlpanel and uninstall that you want to remove

By k b.

I've had a lot of problems from sites that used to be safe. Most sites don't check the file format before they allow someone to put a program on their site. So they add all kinds o ADWARE or hijack virus' etc..... But Major Geeks is a better website to use. I usually go to Bleeping Computers though. Just only always click on what you went there for. They will usually offer you a tab right under what you are looking for that says "GO TO AUTHORS' SITE" .

By Ace E.

go to control panel and uninstall program. utube.com/support

By k b.

Questions? Get answers from the MajorGeeks staff and other customers.

MajorGeeks?