MassachusettsLockandKey reviews

Boston,, MA 02118

1 Review From Our Community

benjaminc39
2/2/16

So I looked my keys in my car today and was looking for a locksmith to open my door. Unfortunately, I don't have a smart phone to look up locksmiths in the area, so I called my mom to check out locksmiths in the Newton/Aberdeen area. She found MA-Lock and Key, which, on their website, advertises that they will come to your location within 15 minutes for a $19 service charge. At the bottom of the website, there is a General Pricing Guide*, which lists Lockout Services: $35+ (which my mother did not see, she thought the total was $19, which is admittedly, rather cheap for anything these days). The locksmith takes 48 minutes (not the 15 or less) to arrive, and he opens the door in a minute using 2 wedge shaped pumps and what is essentially a big wire clothes hanger. I'm at this point thinking that it is probably going to cost me more than $20, maybe more like $50 or $60, but the guy writes down $304. That breaks down to $19 service charge (this is what you would be charged if he arrived and you had already found your keys or broken into the car), $90 for EACH tool that he used, so $270 for the 2 wedges and the hook, and a $15 credit card charge. This is an outrageous price! I called a well reviewed locksmith in the area after I got home to my computer and ask what the total charge would be to open the door on my model of car and he told me a flat charge of $109 (which, honestly, still seems high but a hell of a lot better then $309). To sign up for AAA on the spot and have them come and open the door would have cost $155 (and I would have gotten year long service with that). Even smashing my car window and unlocking it, then paying a to have my window repaired out of pocket would have been less expensive! Literally any option is better than calling these guys!

Questions? Get answers from the MassachusettsLockandKey staff and other customers.

MassachusettsLockandKey?