Review of Lexus

Torrance, California 90501, United States
Tel: +1 800-255-3987

michaelb1348
2/14/19

I am, have been, a great fan of Toyota automobiles. I decided to buy a Lexus MX 350 thinking that was the best Toyota offered. I bought the expensive add-ons, especially the safety features, including the pre-collision system (PCS), Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) and the many other features connected to the ICS.

December 5 2018 I had a rear end fender bender with a car in front of me. This is an accident any driver can relate to. A car in front and you are stopped at the end of an off ramp waiting to merge to the right into an empty lane. The car in front begins to merge into the empty lane, you check to your left to see the lane is still empty, so you begin to merge, only to see the car in front stopped for no real reason. Your first response is to avoid a collision by hitting the brake and turning away from the stopped car. Too late, a finder bender occurs. The right front fender of the Lexus hit the left rear finder of the Honda. The impact was directly on the Lexus right front sensor. No alarm, no pre-collision activation. Clearly, a situation when the slow speed collision should have been avoided with the safety features.
When I expressed my concern to Lexus Customer Assistance center, they asked for a lot of information and turned the case (#1812052891) to an independent investigation agency. Three weeks later I get the car repaired at more than $8000.00. Lexus repairs are extremely costly.
January 31 2019, I receive a letter explaining why Lexus has no accountability in this event. They stated ". that there was brake input and steering input leading to up to the incident," DUD!!!! How do you try to avoid an accident? Well, those two reasons as well as 10 pages of other disclaimers are found in the 775-page Lexus manual. Essentially they have identified any possible reason why their safety features may not work. Potential buyers should carefully read pages 281 -290 in the 2018 Lexus RX 350 350L manual.
Shortly after, I receive a recall notice that identifies a problem with the ICS and that I need to take the car to the dealer to have that fixed free of charge. The $8000.00 + repair bill included $188.32 for the repair of the ICS. No refund offered.
Facts:
1. This slow speed rear end collision should have been avoided with the functioning ICS and PCS.
2. The recalled ICS is an important part of the functionality of the PCS.
3. Lexus/ Toyota advertizes their systems avoiding similar accidents with their safety features.
4. Lexus/Toyota has offered no accountability or apology for the safety malfunction.
I want to know, when does Lexus/Toyota step forward and accept responsibility for vehicles not functioning as advertized and sold?

markw369
5/1/18

It is one of the comfortable vehicle for daily driving, probably in the same level as many strong manufacturer like BMW and Audi.

daniela69
1/29/14

Customer service was the best I've ever experienced. I would recommend Neil and his team to my own mother. They are absolutely trustworthy and honest.

gregy
5/6/13

Lexus makes the best cars. They are safe and they don't break down. My only complaint is that their cars have become increasingly expensive to fix. Toyota should consider making them cheaper to fix but easier to customize and upgrade. That way people who want all the bells and whistles can pay for that whereas the rest of us can just enjoy the car without the exorbitant maintenance fees. However, I am still a Lexus fan.

Questions? Get answers from the Lexus staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Lexus