London, LONDON W1T7RJ, United Kingdom
Tel: 203 752 4636
WHEN PROBLEMS OCCUR NO ONE CONTACTS YOU YOU RE LEFT IN A COUNTRY WITH NO HELP
Tip for consumers: Rubbish apartment filthy owner understood nothing, place falling apart, we were told to ring within 24 hrs with problems no one answered sent emails pics 1 week on we be had no response from Housetrip DO NOT USE THEM!
First of all, AVOID HOUSETRIP!!! And again, seriously, AVOID HOUSETRIP!
Please, read the whole story to understand better our frustrations.
I can see that there are many reviews with five stars. Well, it could be that those people have not experienced any problem. But if something goes wrong, seriously wrong, then you will realize what kind of company you're dealing with.
Here is what happened to us, in as short description as possible.
- We (4 persons family) booked a flat in Madrid (Apartmentos 2 address Calle Penafiel 18 owner Susana Munoz) from 31.03 to 09.04.2015.
- We contacted Susana and she confirmed that the flat is free in that time interval.
- It is 2 bedrooms flat, with a place for 6 people to sleep (2 sofas in living room)
- We were allowed to take our little dog with us.
- Susana agreed with us that two more people (6 at all) could come and stay with us (10 euro more pr. man pr. night)
- HOUSETRIP has withdrawn our booking amount few weeks before the trip started (approx. 800 euros).
- We arrived from airport 31.04.15 about 19:15 at apartment. Pablo Munoz (Susana's father) has been waiting for us.
- He could only speak Spanish.
- He showed us the flat. And it was flat with only one bedroom. We protested, because it wasn't the same flat we booked. And there were no place for 4 people to sleep, not to mention that we were supposed to be 6 in short time.
- As we couldn't discuss it with Pablo (lack of English) we phoned to HOUSETRIP.
- We got to know that our apartment is already booked (Pablo said it to their Spanish speaking consultant), and that we can get this one with one bedroom. It was not acceptable for us (4 adults plus 2 more arriving).
- About 20:00 o'clock we were outside on the street. With lots of baggage and a dog. Now what?!
Communication with HOUSETRIP (31.03.15):
- I called HOUSETRIP to hear what we were supposed to do. Where to go, where to sleep. Hotline consultant said he'll try to find another flat for us.
- He called back 20 minutes later to tell us that he can't get owners of other apartments on the phone, and that we have to spend the night in hotel. In the meantime they (HOUSETRIP) will try to book another flat for us. OK, I said, but, who is paying for hotel? HOUSETRIP is paying, he said. It is fair, I thought (how naïve ).
- We got hint form him which hotel ( on the other end of Madrid, but, OK, there is a Metro) has available rooms.
- We checked in hotel about 23:20 .
Communication with HOUSETRIP (01.04.15):
- Well, it is vacation, but we can't enjoy it, because we don't know what is our next step. HOUSETRIP will call us as soon as they booked another flat for us. It was almost 12:00 o'clock, and we have to check out from hotel or they will charge us for another day (will HOUSETRIP pay for it? Unknown)
- Nobody called us from HOUSETRIP again and therefore I called them. Got another consultant on. She said that she doesn't know anything about our case, and after I told her a story, she promised she will do anything to help us (find another flat ).
Fine, I said, but what are we supposed to do now? Stay in hotel another night? Will they pay for two nights? Then, THEN she said, their rules are that they will pay for hotel, for both nights, but WITH MY MONEY!!! And for the rest of the money they will try to book another flat. WTF!!!
It means following we already paid 800 euro for 9 days in apartment, then one night / two rooms in hotel costs 118 euro (two nights = 236 euro) 800 236 = 564 euro.
THEY WIL HELP ME PAYING WITH MY MONEY!!!?? I lost apartment which I have booked via HOUSETRIPs website because of HOUSETRIP's affiliates, and it is me who is paying for those extra costs!?!
On the other side, I understood, too, that other potential flats costs much more than 1000 euro, which means, too, that we risk to end on 1400-1500 euros instead of 800 euros for 9 nights.
I said that I 've no intention to pay more than I already paid, and that I want 2 bedrooms apartment for 9 nights as I booked. I said, too, that it was not my fault that I'm on the street now, and that it is HOUSETRIP's responsibility for their partner had double booking. Hotline consultant said that IT IS NOT HOUSETRIP RESPONSIBILITY! Period. We are only mediators, consultant said. On my claim that if you are earning money as mediator then you have responsibility, too, consultant wasn't agree.
So, HOUSETRIP is not in charge if anything goes wrong. Apartments owner is not in charge, neither. Nobody is in charge, and it is nobody's responsibility that your vacation became nightmare. And, not only that, HOUSETRIP will try to sell you another apartment!?!? Much more expensive!!! ( It is farce, it is game, there are NO EMPTY FLATS!!!)
Well, it was clear, if we choose to wait for HOUSETRIP find another flat for us, we can't go out and enjoy Madrid (day 2 of our vacation will be lost). HOUSETRIP refused to pay for extra costs their host has caused to us, and at last, if they maybe, MAYBE (!!) find another flat, we risk to pay much, much more for 9 nights in Madrid than planned.
The only way out was cancel the deal. We have done it. We stayed at hotel, paid 250 euros more than planned, but that's it.
- It took 2-3 days to come over everything we experienced with HOUSETRIP host, discussing with HOUSETRIP's consultants, realizing that no help will come from them, realizing that HOUSETRIP has no understanding, that HOUSETRIP has no responsibility, that HOUSETRIP is not in charge for anything in their business. No consequences, no compensations, nothing.
PS. After some time (after we cancelled the whole booking with HOUSETRIP) we got few e-mails with info that all flats in Madrid are booked and that they can't help us?!?! Imagine what would happened if we have chosen to wait for HOUSETRIP find another flat? We would spend 2-3 days in hotel waiting and doing nothing.
Anyhow, HOUSETRIP, great coordination, superior professional's. With one word HOUSETRIP.
No two words - AVOID HOUSETRIP!!!
You deserve better. NOT HOUSETRIP!
On Thursday, March 19th, 2015 I made a reservation to stay at a property in Prague during August. On Friday, March 20th, 2015 (less than 24 hours after I made the original reservation), I notified the property owner and Housetrip I needed to cancel my reservation. Housetop informed me they would only reimburse me 85% of the transaction amount net of their commission fee. I am disputing this charge via Paypal and my credit card company because it is an unfair/illegal policy. In the U.S. we are allowed to cancel a purchase within 24 hours and receive a full refund.
I recommend you DO NOT BOOK with Housetrip because of their inflexible, unfair refund policy.