Review of GoodReads

Tel: +1-415-373-1500
pbrown@goodreads.com

lawrencev20
4/2/19

wes berry writes with new and unique insights of both life and business by referring to specific examples from his own life as well as people and mentors he has met from the age of 17 to 65

marionk25
2/19/19

I started reading Run Red with Blood and couldn't put it down until I finished it; I actually cried at the end. (And I've never done that before!) It was so captivating! Being the third book in a series, I feel that I have gotten to know the characters personally and am hoping for a fourth.

tracyk86
1/31/19

Too much going on. I wish there was an IMDB for books, GoodReads is not it. Its an ok site to keep track of the books you read, sort of, but keep in mind that it will just add dates and books that you didn't read. I have one book on the site that I read once, GR has it listed as reading twice, all during a similar time period. Can I change that? Like I said, 'not very user friendly' so apparently not.
As far as searching for a particular list of books, too darn much advertising to actually get through to the bottom of the list. And it doesn't quite get what your looking for.

alexisp45
12/29/18

Goodreads is like a counterpart to IMDb--while IMDb is mostly geared towards movies and T.V. shows, Goodreads is all about books.

However, in terms of actual usability, Goodreads suffers. While the base functions that make up the site--the ability to rate, review, and list the books you've read--are intuitive enough, a lot of the other functions can be difficult and decidedly less intuitive if you don't already know what you're looking for.

There's also the issue that the mobile app version of the site is even less intuitive, and makes some of those base functions that make the site desirable at all difficult. This isn't the kind of thing that you want from your site, especially when there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of viable alternatives.

In terms of the culture on the site, a lot of the reviews are essentially trash that don't tell you a whole lot about the actual quality of the book. They tend to either be quite shallow one-paragraph reviews that read more like a blurb a publisher would write for the book, or they're so .gif heavy that it's difficult to get through them at all.

While Goodreads is a good concept, it needs a bit of work to make it everything it could be.

joank96
8/31/18

Unlike most Amish books, this is a true story. While the author is not an Amish person, she is a midwife to Amish women. The author tells how she started out to be a midwife apprentice and during the same time raising her children with her husband. It is a story of faith and kindness as she takes the reader with her into the home of expecting mothers. This book will capture your interest on the first page.

gailh80
11/23/17

It was a great read ! Im more of a mystery reader but I gave this a chance and it was very good. Im looking forward to the second book coming out next summer !
Congrats to Deborah Garland

sheilak29
11/1/17

Mr. Bargatze:
Wow, what a great ending! I just finished Cabedelo, and I loved the story, my favorite in the series so far! For me, it proved an emotional thrill enhanced by loss and loss, passion and romance. I especially loved Sam Lynch for his enduring spirit. What comes next for him? Im left desperately wanting to know! Cabedelo remains a reminder that one can never be too sure about what lies around the corner, the mysteries of life, love, and longing prevail for all of us.

Another bonus to Cabedelo: learning about the beauty of Portugal and its people and culture. Reading one of your novels always enriches my mind, my heart, and my soul. Cabedelo did not disappoint!

margaretg75
10/16/17

I received an advanced copy of The Beaten Territory from Randi when I visited her in Denver recently.
Driving in Denver, Randi was able to show me the area in which the brothel in her story existed. And there were other snippets of conversation as to the character of Lydia.
So the story is about three strong women, Annie, Lydia and Pearl and the early gold mining days in Denver.
One reviewer has commented that they thought that there would not have been many options for women in those days. I beg to differ. Pearl could have remained in the convent and been a teacher.
I liked Lydia. She was a woman with commercial property who liked to visit the tenant from time to time, to see how her business was going. On occasions, the tenant[Annie] did not appear too thrilled that Lydia was visiting.
There were times when I thought that Pearl may have left and set up her own line of business in competition.
At the core, Annie was a business woman, with not always the best interests of her girls at heart. Annie wanted her percentage cut.
As another reviewer has stated, this book appears to be well researched and it puts one immediately into the environment at the time, late 1800's Denver, both geographically and historically.
There were the odd terms that I was not aware of- like "jakes" and some dialogue was peppered with short racy quips.
At times, I thought that the atmosphere may not have been any different in the early gold mining days in NZ.
I have shared this story with members of my own Book Club in Hamilton, NZ and how I first met Randi through working in UK between 2004- 2006.
One of the members of the group has taken Randi's book and I look forward to her review of it.
A good gripping read- was page turning on my journey home.
I look forward to the next book that Randi writes.

davidl473
10/14/17

You learn a lot and can express your opinions on what your read. It also gives you the opportunity to write creatively.

bobbyj47
9/14/17

The story was about a girlin a house on mango street. The story was full of symbolim and things that were hard to understand

kierat2
8/9/17

Good reads is amazing if you are a serious book lover because it has lots of tools to help keep track of books that you are currently reading, want to read, etc. It's also a great place to discover new books and authors. My favorite part of the site is the giveaways. If you spend 15 minutes a day entering all of the giveaways that end tonight, you can eaisly win more than 5 free books a week. Highly recommended for anyone that enjoys a good book!

davidw510
7/31/17

it helps me maintain book lists for free, so I'd say its must-use, great!I wish it has a download option for books too

tl100
6/1/17

I'm glad SiteJabber is around as an alternative to Yelp, which has a lot of bad business practices.

Anyway, I'm surprised Goodreads has made it this far, and has only been becoming better-known over the years. It seemed to have started out as one of a spate of social-networking niche sites - but Goodreads seems to have taken off, while others languished. Ever heard of Steepster, the tea networking site? Maybe a lot more people read books than drink tea?

Goodreads' site design and user interface leave plenty to be desired. Like plenty of other popular sites, it just doesn't look very nice, it's awkward to use, and it's not very user-friendly. Looks like designing a chic, clean site is not a requirement to having your site become popular and the standard in its class. Ebay is like that!

Goodreads seems to have various concepts and features scattered out everywhere on the site. They seem to come up with something every so often, and then get rid of it quickly. It does feel a lot like a startup. Even though it's been around for a while, it still has the classic startup's indie vibe, lack of thinking things through, and buggy features.

I think the most useful part of Goodreads is, theoretically, its reviews. I mean, we all depend a little too much on reviews for everything these days. But the reviews on Goodreads tend to be poorly written. Often it's just a rehashing of what the books are about. Sites already include info about the book, so why do reviewers feel the need to summarize what the book is about again?

I see plenty of top "librarians" on Goodreads who get tons of likes for their reviews, though they're very long-winded, confusing, dumb, and poorly-written. It seems some early adopters of Goodreads acquired a lot of followers, so their bad, clunky reviews still get a lot of likes. And some good, thoughtful, insightful reviews are left to languish, lost amid the mess that is Goodreads.

Humans are pack animals. If you see a lot of likes, you tend to like it. The more likes a review has, the most likes it will get. It's like a concave graph - increasing at an increasing rate.

I don't trust Goodreads, or Amazon for that matter, for reviews. If you want to read a book, just read it and see what you think of it - no need to consult reviews to see if you want to read it. I find that my tastes differ very far from the majority of people who write reviews on Goodreads and Amazon. Often I give a book 2-3 stars, but it gets a 4.5 star average. My personality and life experiences have caused me to be more of a deep and out-of-the-box thinker, so I don't tend to wholeheartedly love everything that others have written.

Anyway, Goodreads is THE book social networking site out there - though I don't know how much social networking most people actually do on it. It seems like a semi-pointless site where you can tell the world what you've read, when you read it, your rating, and what you want to read. Like anyone cares? You can even record how many times you've read a book, and what specific dates you read them. Too much detailed information no one else cares about.

Again, it seems like the most important feature of Goodreads, hypothetically, is the reviews, but then, there's too many low-quality reviews that you have to dig through. And often the "top," most-liked reviews are awkward and long-winded, written by early adopters who have amassed a lot of followers and therefore got a lot of likes, undeservedly.

Tip for consumers: Pretty mediocre. If you like writing reviews and want an alternative to Amazon, then maybe Goodreads would work for you. I don't know if most people actually do much social networking on this site. There are occasional contests where you can win books.

suzannec44
3/28/17

i joined this reading site thinking it would be so simple. I found 2 books and tried to sart reading one. Found no way to read no where telling me to start although it told me i was reading. sent messages to ask why no answer sent another 1 no relpy went to moderator site thought they might help but nothing so no i would def not recommend goodreads . i have got it from the library

robc66
3/14/17

Have been using it almost for two years and I 100% satisfied. I have found a lot of interesting poeple, readers and writers on site and keep the contact with them till now. Also, there are a lot of useful options on the website which help you track your book reading progress and rating.

katherinef13
3/6/17

There are major bugs with importing books and with simply logging in. If you click "Log in with Amazon" and enter your password, you are taken to a blank screen. If you try to log in using Facebook, it doesn't recognize your Facebook password. Also, the general layout and usability sucks in comparison to Shelfari. I was very disappointed that I had to give up Shelfari after years of use.

But the most frustrating part is the book import. When they dumped Shelfari, they told you to download your books and info into Excel and then upload into GoodReads (even though they are the same company). Once I did that, I noticed none of the dates that I entered in Shelfari carried over correctly. According to Goodreads I'd read my entire list of books in January. I spent years putting my Shelfari shelf together and would never be able to remember all of the months and years I read the books.

I emailed GoodReads and they got back to me and explained they'd reformatted my sheet and I needed to re-upload. I did this, and it changed nothing. I went back and forth with GoodReads over the course of months, and they kept giving me the same advice. I finally realized the person I was corresponding with did not really understand English and my repeated "I obviously did not read all of my books in January" wasn't translating. When I tried to get around this person by posting a complaint through the site, I got back to the same person with the same exchange.

And now I can't even log in. Terrible site.

helenm123
1/16/17

Community here tends to provide book reviews of variable quality and reliability, I recommend searching for reviews of a book on Amazon.com. There you can compare the percentage of a book's rating that received 5 star ratings or higher with other titles, recommended reading by the NY times, bestseller lists curated by Amazon's editors, etc. Look a title up at ALA.org or read a review in publications like School Library Journal. Bottom line - pass on this one unless given no other alternatives. Not recommended.

Tip for consumers: Find reviews on ALA.org or Amazon.com instead.

robertd260
12/10/16

If you`re into reading much - use it! A great database of any books your soul can desire. Definitely would recommend!

rosemaries6
12/1/16

I was quite impressed with Izzy Church and her ability to write, not only a romantic comedy "Angry Movie Guy" but also a fun-loving children's book.
Dr Pookie is a considerate bear who lives with his animal friends in the Royal Forest. Due to his charismatic ways, many articles are written about him, both with a positive and sometimes a negative twist.
Being a considerate bear, the negative articles begin to affect him and he seeks to find a way to eliminate any bad publicity by having a grand celebration where all the animals of the Royal Forest are invited.
The party is a great success but not without a bit of quiet time in order for Dr. Pookie to tell one of his favorite stories, Dr. Pookie and the Case of the Missing Thought. Here Dr. Pookie brings in his special friends and gives everyone a warm feeling of true and lasting friendship.
I give this a five star

katiey9
12/1/16

Goodreads is my app of choice when it comes to finding great books, sharing my opinions of books, and learning what other people read. Now that I'm not in high school anymore, when we were all reading pretty much the same, it's so easy to miss literary gems. Goodreads allows me to find best books I'd love to read, and yet exposes me to books that my friends read, which is a step out of my comfort zone.

gloriak12
9/22/16

Just completed "Ice Scream", by Morgan Hannam McDonald, and Wow what a ride. You've got two thrillers going on at the same time; it flips back & forth between Alaska and California. In Alaska, you have Special Agent with the F.B.I, Annie Thomas working a grizzly serial murder rampage involving frozen corpses. In California, her brother, homicide detective J.J Thomas & his partner Shadowhawk are chasing one or more murderers who are stalking Shadowhalk. Can you connect the two thrillers?
In Alaska, Annie has spent the last year on leave-of-absence mending a broken heart. She returns to work to confront a serial killer and possibly a love affair - wait for the fireworks!
In California, in spite of chasing a murderer who also is stalking her, the verbal exchange between Shadowhawk & Thomas is so hilarious i will have you laughing out loud.
I loved this book! Annie is kick-ass bad - Thomas is bad, but such a hunk - and Shadowhawk is hilarious! Don't miss out on this one!

lindec
9/6/16

Crimson and The Battle of Lonely Mountain Novel and Tea

As far as the Tea, DELISH!!! The perfect brew to relax, flavors as magical as the novel by Valerie Pike. Floral notes as enchanting as the writer herself. The perfect cup to sip, while reading Crimson and the Battle of Lonely Mountain Chapter book. A magical story, full of karmic philosophies, romance, intrigue and characters that take on caring, loving, motives. A story worthy of any age, teaching lessons within morals. Imagination so vivid, it is a sure bet for a fantastical motion picture.

Linde Clark
Film Critic

christopherr63
6/16/16

Love the site. Wished they'd change their policies on webcomics and comics,though.It would be nice to review them on the platform.It would be nice to be able to keep track of them where I keep track of my other reading. Stil really useful.

bonniem58
5/19/16

I really enjoyed the book, Hover.
The characters seem so real. I am wondering if the author is going to write a sequel. Loved it.

danh74
1/25/16

I download goodreads as an app on my iPad to help keep track of the books I was reading. I highly recommend this site,it turned out to so much more than a place to store lists. You can add other people to see what they recommend or have suggested books depending on your preferences, I have read so many authors that I would have never really picked up.
Give it a go for me there is no downside to this site it's free so if it doesn't suit your needs you can get rid of it.

All reviews on Goodreads are posted by real users who have read the book, not the website itself.

By Kiera T.

Questions? Get answers from the GoodReads staff and other customers.

GoodReads?