Review of Go Bid

Go Bid reviews

bishnup
4/30/13

total fraud.. owner himself placing bids and winning product and genuine users loosing their money

seanh1
6/30/10

I think they have ppl that work for them and have unlimited bids to use, so they can jack the price up on items to insure that they get a big profit on their items.
They show items "coming up" that never come up. Then they don't show what the big items sold for on the history of recent items sold. All seems pretty unfair.
Now they've been offline for quite a while now and they still have $95 of my money.
I'm not a happy camper when it comes to them.

annek1
3/19/10

Absolutely agree with comments re "winning" items and then not receiving. It's been 5 weeks and I'm still waiting for 2 items. Customer Service is a joke. They are evasive, and seldom respond. If they do, it's with a canned message that doesn't directly address the question. All I asked for was the ship date. Nothing. THey seem to have about 12 constant bidders who have seemingly unlimited bids and they win almost everything. NOW GoBid has stopped listing the winning bidder's name. Gee I wonder why.

johnc8
12/3/09

This website is a complete scam. Dont listen to the folks who say they have received their item. I havent recieved my 8 items and its been over 5 months and can't do charge back coz its been over 45 days. If you ask for your items , they will say the gonna report to authorities. What the hell is that, its our money. If you wanna use penny auction sites go to rockybid.com or bidrodeo.com , they are very helpful and you have your stuff in 3 days.

joshw
11/3/09

I'm impressed people even heard back from the site! I've emailed them twice in the last couple of weeks and haven't heard back. (One of the emails was a simple "Hi, when can I expect the item I won to arrive?") Heck, they didn't even email me to tell me I'd won an item! While Tony says he received his flat screen tv-- and I sure hope he did because that means I'll eventually get my gift card-- but there are too many people out there saying the opposite. So either they're a scam, or they're so clueless as to how to run a business that their shipping is a month behind schedule. Regardless, this site gets a big thumbs down from me-- and I'll be sure to tell everyone I know.

ashwinh
10/29/09

This website is a lot of fun. I have won over 30 things to date and about 20 of those have already arrived. most things have cost me less than half of retail. The only thing that isnt great yet, but I believe they are fixing is the time it takes to get the actual item shipped to you.

toughi
10/25/09

DEFINITE SCAM!! I lost sooo much money with sight!!! Ugh....

chriso1
3,057 helpful votes
10/8/09

The site looks OK and a Google search doesn't turn up the kind of material I'd expect if this was a known scam. But having read other reviews and being curious, I took a look at the onsite FAQ and as far as I can see it does explain exactly what the bidding and credits procedures are.

I also checked out the claim that the owner and location of the business weren't known and maybe impossible to find. That's incorrect and it only took a few minutes to locate the information that's available.

There's more than one founder to the business, but the only one coming forward in public is Lael Sturm, who is something of a business celebrity in San Francisco. There are photos of him around the web, easy enough to find. The business phone number reveals that you are calling San Francisco, and again that takes only a moment to check out.

The corporate office address is across the country, in Florida, in a very green and pleasant upmarket residential street in Miami (thank you, Google Streetview). But the business seems to run out of SF.

The man himself can be found on Twitter at http://twitter.com/laels, and on Facebook at

The information about the company and its co-founder is easily located. The bidding mechanism is where you'd expect it, in the site FAQ. You can send a tweet to the man who runs the operation. There really aren't any closely guarded secrets there.

None of this detracts from anything other reviewers have written about lousy customer service. But if we're demanding transparency from the websites we review, we owe it to them to get our own facts right and publish the truth when we have it. In this case, the most important things that people would want to know are right there to be found.

greatr
10/8/09

Business model is misleading and dangerous to unwitting consumers. Customer "support" is evasive and unresponsive. I asked them "what is the name of your CEO?" THey refused to answer. After about a dozen requests, they finally said "we just know him by the name of Lael."

Then I asked "where are you located?" The response: "we are located in the US."

They refuse to divulge ANY contact information. THe domain is privately registered, so you can't find any contact info that way.

They know they are bilking consumers out of tons of money and are unwilling to answer questions for fear of getting caught.

STAY CLEAR!!

veverlym
9/25/09

This website is a SCAM! I won and paid for 5 items on bid.com the 1st week of Sept 2009. It's been 7 weeks and I haven't received a single item. My account page says that the items are ready to be shipped since the day that I paid for the item. The online live support is a joke. They keep telling me that they'll look into the problem and get back to me but they never get back to me. Paypal won't help me because it's been over 45 days.

waleedk
9/16/09

I won two auction on 7/15/09 and paid the invoices sent to me via paypal the same day.
ID
1623 XCooper Cooler 2009-07-16 21:10:08 Paid.
1609 XFlip Video Camcorder 2009-07-15 15:05:34 Paid.
Till today 9/16/09 (it has been 60 days) never heard from them since then. every attempt to contact online support ends "we will check with our department and call you back asap" or "sorry we don't have access for the system". I tried their phone number: 415-287-0662 will ring two times and then voice mail " Sorry no one available to answer your call, leave a message"
Tried their emails never got any response.
Paypal won't help as the Gobid gives 6-8 on most of the items to be shipped and Paypal won't file any depute for paid transactions over 45 days. it's totally scam.
What's the legal way to stop this scam.
If I'm not going to get the items or my money back. I' want to make sure that this scam stops.

tonym
9/9/09

These previous posts are clearly BOGUS !! I paid $100 in bids and won a 52" Plasma TV for $38 dollars, plus the price of the auctioned TV which was $12.15. So, I won a $1250 Plasma TV for $50.15. Not bad!! Product received in 4 weeks and now I can enjoy the NFL games on Sunday afternoon.

rong
6/5/09

YEP...agree with previous person's assessment! STAY AWAY!!!

jenniferg
6/5/09

This website is a HUGH scam...BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE!!!!!!! First you need to purchase bids ahead of time ($1 per bid). Then you may place bids for many great items...if you don't win, you are credited with your losing bids toward you next item you win. All sounds great, right? HERE IS THE CATCH!!! You may NOT use your "credits" to bid. The only way to use them is to send them more money which will buy you more "live" bids...if you still don't win...ALL YOU ARE DOING IS STOCKING UP ON CREDITS WHICH YOU CAN'T USE TO BID TO WIN AN ITEM! I spent $60 dollars on bids trying to win a big ticket item and lost. Now I have $60 in "credit" but my balance for bidding is zero because I used them all. The "management" told me I just need to buy more bids and hope I win. They must think I am really stupid if they think I can't catch on the the scam..."just send us more money for more bid's" he said. He must think I am really stupid. Just sorry it took me $60 dollars in bids to figure it out. STAY AWAY FROM THIS WEBSITE!!!!

Questions? Get answers from the Go Bid staff and other customers.

Go Bid?