Games Basement

Games Basement has a consumer rating of 1.21 stars from 28 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Games Basement ranks 15th among Retro Video Games sites.

No positive highlights yet

• I have resported them to Watchdog and Trading Standards.
  • DO NOT order products from this website unless you want to risk losing money.
How would you rate Games Basement?

“I ordered Demon Souls in Jan”

Jayne C.
6/9/10

I ordered Demon Souls in Jan. Took 3 days to get to me which I was happy about. Price wasnt the cheapest but still noone else had it at the time, can't really complain!

“Ordered 3x games on 9/12”

vICKI e.
1/20/11

Ordered 3x games on 9/12. Phoned prior to Xmas to be told despatched on 14/12 but maybe held up due to snow (Royal Mail). Contacted them on 6/1/11 as still no sign & completed form to state lost in post. Emailed following day to confirm new items would be ordered & sent. Received 1x game 18/1 but that's it. Phoned for refund today, told 5-7 days to process & another 3-5 to reach my bank. When I complained I was told its in their T&C's! AVOID AT ALL COSTS

trading standards (3) not order (4)
vickie8
January 20th, 2011

paulc27
November 6th, 2014

Hi, I ordered little big planet for my Sons birthday on June 22nd and his birthday was the end of June 2011, game did not turn up and they have not responded to any of my emails. This site is a disgrace and you should avoid ordering anything from Gamesbasement at all costs. I have now handed over the details of the transaction to my credit cards FRAUD dept.

No stars
One very unhappy customer.

tracym6
July 9th, 2011

No communication from this company depsite my phonecalls to them and e-mails. Started to wonder if I would ever get the Wii game I had ordered for my sons birthday. It eventually arrived 20 days later, to my relief, but with no apology or explanation. Very unhappy with this experience, would efinately not buy anything from them again, and would not recommend that anyone else does.

mattheww2
November 11th, 2014

I won't go into detail, but this is one company to avoid at all costs. They take money from your account but never send the items.

ah24
January 6th, 2011

Do not buy from here, takes your money instantly and doesn't send out the goods despite constant promises that it will be re-dispatched, it never is.

mcbridej
May 21st, 2011

Ordered a ds console on 30th april and still waiting on it. Customer services is terrible, they do not reply to emails and you are put on hold when trying to phone then cut off. It says in its terms and conditions money will only be debited from your account when the item is dispatched, the money was taken from my account on the 5th may. On the occasion that i did manage to speak to an advisor she said the item had been dispatched but that was a week ago, she said there was no tracking on the item. I would avoid this website, worst so far i've come across.

stephenj2
April 6th, 2010

Terrible service, when I ordered the game was in stock but two weeks later no game and shown out of stock.
As it was xmas gift I cancelled my order by email and tried to contact them on the 0845 number many times but they didnt answer at least not when I called!
They didnt cancel my order and 2weeks after my cancellation sent the game out and still failed to respond to my emails.
Save yourself the grief and shop somewhere else!

arkhoni
January 30th, 2011

Ordered December, got an emailed from Games Basement saying item dispatched, now today's date 1/30/11 still haven't gotten my PS3 order and I wasted my $30! For nothing. I emailed them a week ago and haven't received response from them. Ripoff! Avoid at all cost, never shopping on oversees again. :(

cn4
April 6th, 2011

Bunch of muppets, take money as a pre-order, don't get any stock, claim it'll be in stock and then ignore contacts and don't refund. Avoid them.

abduls
July 27th, 2011

Would give it 0 stars if possible, bought a few products in january 2011, have not recieved anything to date! It is now july! I have tried e-mailing them and phoning them but not a single reply! Never ever shop with them again

guest
November 11th, 2014

COMPLETE FRAUDSTERS! DON'T BOTHER WAITING FOR GOODS AS THEY WILL NOT SEND THEM, CONTACT CARD COMPANY FOR CHARGEBACK ASAP!

kerryg
June 28th, 2011

My 8 year old son saved his pocket money and we ordered his DS pokemon game from gamesbasement. £24.99. Money was taken from my account instantly. Web page stated 'in stock' 'usually dispatched within 48hrs' LIES Surprise surprise... Game never arrived. When I called I was told the item wasn't in stock but was guaranteed it would be available the following week for dispatch. Foolishly I continued with the order for my son. Yet again 2 weeks later no game. Numerous phone calls and told we have to wait 15 working days for the item to arrive and blamed the delay on Royal Mail. Three more weeks passed and no game. Many more telephone conversations with very unhelpful people. When I demanded to be put through to customer complaints was told no such number, any complaints need to be put in writing. No senior member of staff to help with my situation. Now was guaranteed I would get a refund but takes 5-7 working days. (Funny they can take the money almost instantly). Still no refund or game. Now not able to get through on the phone. I am so frustrated and angry. Try explaining to an 8 year old that he has lost his savings. Please do not use this site unless you are willing to throw money away. I am not going to give up. I have left a message with Watchdog and I will leave many more messages until this company is exposed for the fraudulent, lying thieves they are!

steveb22
July 4th, 2011

Totally useless DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM
I'm not sure if this site is a scam or that they're going into financial administration soon or what but there are 1000's of websites and forum discussion groups of people with exactly the same problem as myself:
- Placed order
- Money taken from my account
- Item never turns up
- Can't get hold of them on their customer services number (answer message telling you to email them)
- Won't respond to emails other than an occasional one saying that they have posted it and it's on it's way (it's been a month now and they advertise 24hr delivery!)
- I have request a refund and they are ignoring me!

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS SITE!
I have resported them to Watchdog and Trading Standards.
I just wish I had read all of the reviews first... :o(

nathanw2
July 23rd, 2011

Ordered from these about a month ago i registered then placed my order and payment was taken straight away (debit card) got an order id but no email to confirm my order, when i tried to log back into there site i got the message that username does not exist wtf! So it seems they charged me then deleted my account. Googled gamebasement and came across so many bad reviews so rang my bank straight away they said payment was still pending and would issue a charge-back, 2-3 days later money was back in thought i had lucky escape but checked my bank statement today and they have either charged me again or have just taken payment a month later so need to ring bank again to see whats going on. DO NOT ORDER FROM GAMESBASEMENT ITS A SCAM.

shirleyp
April 9th, 2011

Purchased a wii fit game and balance board it stated in stock and dispatched usually within 48hrs, also stated money not taken out of account untill goods are dispatched, lies on both counts! I called the company after a week to be told they were still waiting on delivery of the stock I then pointed out that it stated they had the item in stock and the girl told me she would correct it on web page I kept checking and this was not done for at least another week, i also pointed out that they say no money will be taken untill item is dipatched they couldnt tell me why my account had been touched! I then cancelled my order and was told refund would take 4-7 days that was nearly 2 weeks ago and 2 fone calls and email later and Iam still waiting. Very unsatisfied and £50 poorer customer.

lisah2
December 15th, 2009

Ordered an xbox game 17/11 my bank account was debited 20/11 - 10 days later no game - emailed them for despatch date 4 times - no reply despite site says 48 hours response - rang them was told there was a delay would be despatched w/c 7/12 - nothing emailed them again no response - tel no constantly engaged- still got my money but no game - DO NOT USE THIS SITE

sw35
July 7th, 2011

This has to be the worst I have ever encountered. It is fraudulent and should be stopped from trading.
The company does not obey the rules of its protocol and customer service promises.
It took my money the day I placed the order.
The telephone contacts were difficult to get through on. When you get through you are lied to. The tracker site is never updated. Emails are not responded to other than by automated resonse. Letters are also not responded to.
I had to involve the credit card company in order to get them to cooperate.
This is the easiest way to get a resolution of the problem. (seems most people request a refund) if you are waiting for one get your credit card company to take this up on your behalf asking for a reversal of the transaction as funds have been taken illegally. It is very satisfying to get a RESULT!
My daughter has been waiting for her birthday present for over 60 days thanks to the gamesbasement. I eventually ordered through John Lewis and was able to get a free delivery next day. I wish all those who are going through the worry I have just been through much luck. Be Determined and don't let these wicked scammers get away with it!

pauld8
February 26th, 2010

IF YOUR READING THIS YOU HAVE PROBABLY BEEN RIPPED OFF LIKE I WAS
If not don't make the same mistake, im still waiting for a refund for cod modern warfare ordered in october, plenty of promises but refund never arrives, lost cheques, lost details, short staffed, even the snow was to blame, what a farce, trading standards informed, also isis, and consumer direct, please do the same, they will close the site soon due to the vast number of complaints, I LAST PHONED TODAY 24-02 10 TO ASK FOR MY REFUND, WHEN I SAID I COULD COME AND COLLECT MY 119.98 SHE SAID I WAS THREATNING HER AND HUNG UP

sallyn
March 24th, 2011

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS WEBSITE! Like the many other reviews on this site I also did not receive the Wii Fit game that I ordered on December 10th. On March 19th after numerous telephone calls and emails that were not answered I finally got a refund. Every time I spoke to the call centre I was spun a web of lies, cannot begin to tell you how frustrating it was! My advice to anyone trying to get money back is don't give up, consider going through your bank to retrieve refund and contact the trading standards. Although I got money back I still feel very aggrieved and would love to see these THIEVES get their comeuppance. The whole thing seems to be a scam that relies on people just giving up on getting their money back!

sioni
November 13th, 2014

I ordered a new 3DS from this company on the 7/7/2011. After 5 days I checked back on the website and noticed that they were out of stock despite not being out of stock when I placed the order. I attempted to contact customer services on the number they provided and evry time I ring it plays recorded message saying to contct via e-mail. I have written many e-mails explaining the problem and have received a few replies saying that they are experiencing problems. I have now been waiting 20+ days and still have not received my order and according to the website the item has been back in stock and sold out twice and is now back in stock again. The status of my order is:- Order Received Processing.

I don't think I am ever going to receive my order or a refund. This is the worst online order I have ever placed and I am going to make sure as many people as possible know the kind of customer service this company offer.

mattb1
January 6th, 2010

DO NOT order products from this website unless you want to risk losing money. I am of the opinion that the service offered by the comany is nothing short of a scam.

When you order a product, payment will be taken immediately. In my case £140. Weeks later, when your product has still not been dispatched, you will struggle to make contact through email or worse still over the phone.

When I finally made contact over the phone, the nice gentleman offered his apologies and guaranteed that the product had just arrived in stock and could be dispatched the next day. I elected to cancel regardless as I simply didn't trust the service. Amazingly, a week after having cancelled over the phone, I received an email to say that the product may not arrive until the following year and I could consider cancelling - this was a week after I had already cancelled and also a week after the polite man on the phone had GUARANTEED it was in stock and could be dispatched the next day! Hmmm... I fear honesty is not their policy.

What compounds these lies is that the product was ordered as a Christmas present on the 21st November. When it had not been dispatched by the 16th December and I was £140 out of pocket my concerns were understandably growing. I explained this to the guy on the phone, and his "guarantee" was to alleviate my concerns of it not arriving before christmas. Had I believed him, I would have been one present down come Christmas day.

Luckily, despite his "guarantee", I had the wisdom to decline and order the same product from GAME.co.uk, which arrived the day after. Needless to say, 3 weeks after having cancelled my order with gamesbasement.co.uk, I have received no refund, have not received replies to my emails and cannot get an answer over the phone. It seems they have essentially stolen my money.

These are simply the facts, make your own mind up over whether you regard this to be acceptable.

lesi
December 6th, 2009

This site is a disgrace I ordered a simple item namely a dsi
10 days later still the item not even been despatched. Sent email surprise surprise no reply telephoned them ask for my money.
You guessed I'm still waiting they have my money and will not respond.
DO NOT USE THIS SITE.

maheshp
January 6th, 2010

Do not use this website. Ordered game 15 days ago. No reply to emails, phone hangs up after 5 mins. CON. They debited my account, straight away, but no game. CON company. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE I MADE. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SITE

jaynec1
June 9th, 2010

I ordered Demon Souls in Jan. Took 3 days to get to me which I was happy about.

kamaljitk
June 17th, 2011

Guys you should check out this page. Many more unhappy customers are unhappy!

Sorry for the problems you have encountered. I too had problems with Gamesbasement after having spent £120 on Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition I was promised that on numerous occassions that it was being sent and then one day they advised that they did not know when they were going to receive the game. Fortunetly they did refund my money just before Christmas but this was only after I complained to Trading Standards and emailed the director of the company direct Michael@Gamesbasement.co.uk I also suggest you look up a company called weeerecyclemobiles.com as they seem to be part of Gamesbasement as Michael seems to run this company also. I hope you manage to get things sorted Good Luck

By Peter G.