Avalon Project

Avalon Project has a consumer rating of 5 stars from 1 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Avalon Project also ranks 27th among Colleges And Universities sites.

How would you rate Avalon Project?

“Yale Law School has put online an impressive archive...”

Jeremy G.
3/29/11

Yale Law School has put online an impressive archive of historical documents. If I had the time, I'd love to go through them all, but I have discovered one document I particularly love -- a letter from Thomas Jefferson to his young nephew: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/let31.asp The letter is fantastic (to me) because Jefferson seems to have tremendous affection toward the boy, but doesn't quite know how to show it. Jefferson's brilliance come across clearly in the letter but there is also an awkward didacticism, as he instructs the boy on how he ought to comport himself and what he ought to learn in what order. Jefferson also says amazing things like, "Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body, and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Of particular use to me personally, Jefferson lists off precisely what the boy should read to be educated. I, having grown up in the underfunded California public school system, had nothing in the way of a classical education and have therefore set out to read the books Jefferson recommends in order. My friends [rightly] laugh at me, but I am delighted to report Oliver Goldsmith's Complete Grecian History was excellent (and only 99 cents on the Kindle!): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LISR2M/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title I hope you enjoy the letter and the website as much as I do.

jeremyg
March 29th, 2011

I hope you enjoy the letter and the website as much as I do.

Questions? Get answers from the Avalon Project staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avalon Project?

Have a question about Avalon Project?