Review of Alternet.org

San Francisco, CA 94105, US
discuss@alternet.org

felixf31
6/8/19

AlterNet is so clogged with advertisements using Java scripts that the site has become nearly impossible to navigate. This has been done to force readers to subscribe for US$10 per month. Every page is slow to load (if it loads at all).

paulp372
6/24/18

I was banned from Alternet for speaking out against war. It would appear that Alternet no longer cares about what's in the best interest of the human race. It's only concern is pushing DNC talking points regardless of their authenticity. If you hate conservatives, hate progressives, but love corporate donors; you'll love the new Alternet.

markf350
6/22/18

So after years of posting on Alternet, I've finally been banned - for disagreeing with its authors/shills from the Left.

With the takeover of Alternet by the execrable owner of Rawstory, John Byrne, fewer and fewer antiwar, leftist pieces have been published. More and more pro-Dem propaganda has been posted, much of it attacking Republicans from the *Right* - as does the DNC these days.

After months of free-speech after the Byrne takeover, the moderators/censors are now in place, and their tool is the Shadow Ban. The mods ban leftist commentators, but from the commentator's POV, it appears that their post is visible. Open a private window, and you'll see why your post receives no replies - it's because no one can see it.

This sort of censorship is the lowest of the low... and is exactly what one expects, as a once antiwar, once left-leaning website sells out to the Democratic wing of the War Party.

amyk122
9/19/17

One of the subjects of an article is my father and wow. I don't think one thing that was written had an iota of truth to it. But the people who like this site truly don't care about actual truth or facts...so I'm sure this site will grow and prosper in the vapid minds of the media lapdog lemming libs. They only want to hear what they want to hear, so therefore seek it out and follow along like zombies.

vitusb
5/16/17

This site just cannot connect the dots of what is happening. They don't think the Russia thing is real, they trash the DNC and continue to sow division on the left. I have to wonder at this point, if some libertarian is in control of it. There is mountains of evidence of Russian collusion, but yet they claim there is nothing there, yet they blow up a frivolous lawsuit that Sanders is bringing because he doesn't like their rules. He is the one that mistreated the DNC and the party by acting like a fool during the primary, yet the people on this site continue to claim WikiLeaks is 100%, which makes them ignorant hacks because it has been proven that they will dump anything regardless if it's true, false or propaganda. They ignore the Russian ties that any dummy can see and claim it's a hoax. It's just a sad, pathetic rag.

kathyw99
3/5/17

There are numerous articles bashing Trump and encouraging people to protest, even violently at town halls, rallies, etc. They constantly compare Trump to Hitler. Ad nauseum. It got so repititious. Most are Christianophobes and anti-semitic. I could not stand the bigotry of the commenters. There were also some very loony commenters such as a ScaryMary and a HeilMary. They may be one in the same who viciously attacked Catholics. I am not Catholic but see no point in attacking a person based on their religion or lack thereof. Much profanity is allowed also. Haters love to hate!

jeffc128
2/22/17

I heard about alternet.org from Robert Reich; a man I respect immensely. I have to say I'm not impressed, don't expect a rational discussion. There is a clear bias, and it depressing how people attack each other in the comment section. Most of the subscribers are Caucasians who act like they are somehow champions of the liberal world like being tolerant is a competition. The whole thing had a daily beast vibe only the website is not as flashy. The web design is atrocious tbh. I tried commenting on a post of about Bill Maher being an Islamophobe and was immediately called a right winger, and a bag of crap for trying to defend him. Like not even 5 minutes after I posted, one of the resident commenters with almost 4 thousand upvotes just laid into me and started attacking my personal character, not only that someone flagged my comment as spam and it's been almost 12 hours and it is still under review. lol, it was little ridiculous. I enjoy writing, and I enjoy debating people but this left a bad taste in my mouth I'm done for awhile. You don't have to attack people to get your point across regardless if you are democrat or republican. I lean left on issues of equality and civil liberties and honestly am continually disappointed with the people who represent the republican party. I expressed my disdain for Trump, yet still was deemed as an intolerant right-winger.

maryl306
1/2/17

Horrible biased site I came upon quite by accident not realizing how weak this site is in the way of not being able to accept a differing opinion given in a civil tone. The regular commenters are vile and quite vicious almost to the point of not being taken seriously. I will not waste my time on such a low-life site. It's THEIR way or no way.

kareng124
11/1/16

Completely bias, real news are never published here, democrat- liberals in denial of real news.

donb85
7/15/16

If you are looking for a great news site, you have found it !

jj220
5/22/16

I did not see any place to comment on the articles.
The opinions expressed are garbage like "all white people are white supremists" or "fiscally conservative and socially liberal means we can't have nice things".
In the face of such bigoted, intolerant trash which does not even enable conversation, I categorically do not recommend spending your valuable time on the site.

larsw7
8/11/15

First of all when entering the site I was immediately tracked by 6 other sites, my spyware informed me.
I spend a little time on the site and it seems almost hateful. It tries to be "objective" and "rational", but ends up in trashing and hating.
Not of any use in finding truths or alternative viewpoints on things

jjammerd
9/29/13

Amanda Macrotte writes articles for AlterNet and if you look at the link below...

...you'll feel the hate seeth from the page, and with that you'll understand the tone of the website.

Also check out this great set of comments:

And notice the deleted ones. Those are mine. You may ask why would they be deleted? I don't know. They didn't give any warning or gave me any indication that I did anything wrong. If you happen to waste time reading the responses to what I posted you'll see how angry are and that their posts still are there despite their intolerance and hatred. Which is weird considering that's what the hit piece article was about.

A website that only wants those that agree with them to post is a website that fosters hatred for those that don't think like them and that...that's a problem. When you create a us vs them mentality even on a website you're the reason why there are groups of people who attack others for the way they think.

Each website has a right to dictate how they'll moderate their website. One would think the moderation rules would be for everyone not for a specific group while another group gets to do and say whatever they want.

This website reminds me of Current.com and we all know what happened to Current. It failed. This one is headed down the same road.

It is all just fake "news" and falsehoods to keep the U.S. stirred up. Probably started by that little loudmouth buddy of obama, sharpton.

By Dee M.

Questions? Get answers from the Alternet.org staff and other customers.

Alternet.org?