Review of 23andMe

23andMe reviews

Tel: 1-800-239-5230

donnas628
5/19/19

I thought there would be morn information. I bought the 23andme DNA test and wanted to know more of my history, it linked me to more cousins but I was hoping to find more history to go with it.

Tip for consumers: I would definitely compare to ancestry.com and others like it, with reading more of the ratings, and comments. I really needed more info.

curtiss54
5/6/18

They use DNA to trace you back to where you ancestors come from this is very interesting. They will even till you how much you have Neanderthal blood you have,

markb475
2/14/18

While, the wait was worth it, I feel that some of the information was kind of vague. I don't know if that's because of my particular DNA, or what. But, it's cool to see how it all works. I was, however, hoping to connect with more DNA relatives, but, I guess I have to give it some time. I'm glad this site exists.

dalem74
1/23/18

23andme seems a bit distant from its customers. 23andme provides a fair amount of generalized information, and some, but not much, personally detailed information. For a DNA test, I expected more; maybe I am just too naive about what can be accomplished with spit.

If more people - massive numbers - were to participate, then I'm certain there would be a greater number of details given out, and more connections made. Unfortunately, the precedent for websites is even if you gain a big audience, you can lose it in short time; and if you start with an audience that is not very large, you will soon disappear off the web. Shared sourcing would be good in this case. Would that all genealogy and DNA sites could, if not join into a single entity, at least coordinate with one another, and allow their customers to use each other's sites.

The most disappointing thing about 23andme is that all the information regarding my DNA was made available on the ever-changing, sometimes disappearing, internet, and spread across many pages, sometimes a bit confusing; and not one single hard-copy of anything was mailed to me. If even the general information and a few charts were sent, that would be a plus. For the hundred dollars or more that most people spend, they should be able to afford something on paper.

The second most disappointing thing is navigation. The website does not have clear-cut menu break-downs. I have had to go through several pages, reverse direction, and go through pages again, to find what I was looking for. And some things I discovered entirely by accident; and had difficulty finding them again.

jennifers411
10/12/17

This is a great company with reasonable prices for their services. They also do testing which you can qualify for at times. Right now I'm waiting on genetic testing results for a study I qualified for about Bi-polar. They are going to send me the results for what diseases I'm more likely to develop and my genetic make-up which is great because I'm adopted and have no family history to go on.

tinac23
3/20/16

23andme.com is spending a ton of money advertising, yet they don't appear to have the resources to live up to the hype. I sent in my DNA kit in mid-January, and have yet to receive any results. All I have gotten was an email stating that they were behind with the results. I spent $199 and expect much better customer service. I wish I had spent my money elsewhere! There are a lot of options out there. Ancestry DNA was much better at getting my results back. Sent them in one week after 23andMe, and have had them back for 2 weeks already.

markh189
11/30/15

I've been a member for about 3 years and was excited to find 900+ DNA relatives. Had my cousins and sons sign up to verify accuracy. The results are not always expected, but always interesting. I've met DNA relatives through 23andMe, and then visited them in the "old country", Finland. I recommend 23andME to everyone!

tylerc22
11/11/13

The site is interesting but I found the DNA results to be flawed. My mom submitted my dna sample along with my brothers and her own. Apparently my brother doesn't share quite a bit of her DNA, although I do? She tested a substantial amount french/german but he had 0% french/german. How does that happen with your mom? There was no "switched at birth" scenario going on as my brother looks identical to my dad. They have some fine tuning to do.

Questions? Get answers from the 23andMe staff and other customers.

23andMe?